Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
69. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Aug 1, 2012, 10:38 Bhruic

Jonny wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 10:24:
As for TOR, one of the big gripes was that the solo, story focused leveling suddenly stopped at 50 and turned into a generic dungeon/raid/pvp grind. More dungeons, more raids and more PvP hasn't reversed the subscriber loss, so what is their big plan for future F2P content? Raids, PvP and a group quest line. /facepalm

That's the biggest problem for me. They set up these interesting storylines, which are primarily solo, and then you get to "end game", and there's really nothing left to do solo. It's like they completely change the game at that point. I mean, yes, I can start a new character with a new storyline, but as about 90% of the quests are non-storyline, you tend to get burned out rather quickly. I mean, if it were a single player game, that'd be the point where I'd say I'm done, and move on to another game (which is what I do with MMOs). Now if they are happy with that happening, fine, but they tend to want people to stick around and keep playing. Well, what exactly am I supposed to be doing? I have no interest in the dungeon/raid system, and pvp isn't fun for me.

That's one of the problems inherent to the system they've all (mostly) chosen - the leveling system. You keep dangling level ups in front of people, but at a certain point, you stop giving out new levels, and people are left wondering what the new carrot is. I don't know what the solution is, but they really need to come up with a new single player friendly carrot if they want to keep people playing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
83. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 07:06 Bhruic

eunichron wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 00:38:
How did I know you were going to say that...

That is in case of arbitration, an entirely different clause of the EULA. I even took the liberty of taking a screenshot of it for you;

Here.

Which actually just proves his point (although he's already found that Valve has the same clause). If you read it, you'll note that either (important word) you or EA have the right to ask for binding arbitration. And if one party (doesn't require both) asks for it, you lose your ability to sue. So if you want to sue EA, and EA says "binding arbitration!", you immediately lose your ability to sue them.

They have, therefore (and Valve as well), removed your ability to sue them - although they can still allow you to sue them, should they wish to for some reason.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
40. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 14:13 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:51:
Nice to see I wasn't the only one that goofed on his terminology. "Non-free" means "the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program and what it does for them."

It has nothing to do with price.

I don't understand how so many people are confusing "freedom" and "free". There's a reason he continually uses the word "freedom" in there, and that's because you can't (or shouldn't be able to) confuse "freedom" with pricing.

Look at it this way - all of the words in a book are publicly available. There's nothing "hidden" behind the scenes. Books are, effectively, open-source. And yet people still make money selling them.

Being open-source doesn't mean you have to give it away. Being open-source doesn't mean you give up your copyright (although there are licensing agreements that do, which you aren't obliged to use). All of this talk about people not being able to make money is nonsense.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
14. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 11:40 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:13:
They don't have the greatest writers in the world, no, but if certain individuals around here are to be believed, Bethesda can't write a single sentence to save its life... :|

I've never seen anyone make that claim. Bethesda hasn't written a decent storyline in awhile (the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion is the last decent example I can think of). And there are definitely companies that do stories better.

I have a hard time believing that Bethesda could pull off the feel of a STALKER game. But it's possible. I'd really rather the used a different engine tho', they'd really need one that's better at strict FPS than what they've been using.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 11:35 Bhruic

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:16:
Turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy is silly at best.

Yeah, that's been my reaction. The Hobbit is a smaller book than any of the trilogy's invidual books - why is it getting the same number of movies overall? I mean, I'm sure they'll do a decent job with them, but it's hard to imagine the source material needing a 3rd movie.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
21. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 11:30 Bhruic

necrosis wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:04:
So he would rather have no Steam on Linux than Steam with DRM (which by the way is not Valves doing but the publishers of the games).

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

"However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows."

Yes, definitely sounds like that's what he's saying. Rolleyes

If you don't care about open source, that's fine, but expecting someone associated with GNU and FSF to not care is stupid. And it's not even an unreasonable position to hold, as he's not saying "this is bad", he's saying "this has good and bad sides to it".

edit: Oh, and btw, yes, some games on Steam use external DRM, but that doesn't change the fact that Steam itself is a form of DRM. So yes, it is Valve's doing.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2012, 16:58 Bhruic

The Surface they are releasing in Oct isn't the surface from that video. The one they are releasing is a tablet, which unfortunately shares the same name.

Guess we should be glad they didn't call it Bob.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
55. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 Bhruic

nin wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 11:02:
They've said several times now that sales of these updates will increase the chance of BG3. They have to prove there's a market for a sequel, and that people will buy it.

I'd love a BG sequel (assuming it was done properly). But I won't be buying this. I'm sure they are putting work into it, but the reality is that I've owned and played both games, and I have no desire to spend $20 for the relatively minimal changes they are making.

The only real way to demonstrate there's demand for a sequel is to make a sequel, ala Wasteland. Trying to re-sell 12+ year old games doesn't strike me as a useful attempt at proving demand.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Skype: Nearly half of adults don't install software updates. Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 Bhruic

You know what Skype? The reason I don't install your fucking updates is because you do shit like putting ads into voice chats. If you weren't such fucklenuts about trying to monetize Skype, you might have less people unwilling to update your damn software.

(yes, I know that applies to very few people in their "list", but it's still annoying)

Not to mention the fact that, yeah, developers often think they've put this "amazing fucking thing (tm)" into the program, but along with that (assuming people give a shit), comes a raft of other changes that we don't want that either breaks things, or changes things in ways that aren't helpful.

If you want automated updates, make them security related only. If you want to fuck around with the UI (I'm looking at you Steam!), or screw up the settings, make it fucking optional.

News Comments > GameStop Interested in Digital Resales
30. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 07:05 Bhruic

Considering the mention of Europe in the quote up there, it's possible (likely?) that the CEO was thinking about the EU as well. Hard to say.  

News Comments > GameStop Interested in Digital Resales
28. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 06:06 Bhruic

Wolfen wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 04:44:
Right now... this is why it wont work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license

Unless the publishers / developers say it can be transferred, it can not legally.

Which would be fine if courts in the EU hadn't just ruled that people have the right to resell their digital copies of software (wasn't aimed at games specifically, but very likely applies to them as well).

If the courts say it is legal, you don't need the publishers'/developers' permission.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
39. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 01:44 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:11:
No, you are the bigger dumbass; you and a few others here just canít seem to comprehend the fact that if you want to play those larger scaled up planets and battles. You had better prepare for disappointment. This was no different then it was playing Sup Com when i had the same laggy assed issues with long drawn out games. Except it was far worst with Sup Com.

I like long games, but not ones that sit here and tie me down for games lasting over 10 hours a shot. That is stupid and you and a few others here are fucking glutens for punishment if you think you can play a long assed drawn out game like that. Itís not an FPS, itís an RTS game, and from my account I have seen this all too often in RTS games when they are played out over a very long period of time they start to lag down. You guys are unrealistic in your wants. When I play a game I set it up to where itís realistic and not something that I know is going to cause issues.

Just because you are able to put that many planets on a map does not mean that your system can handle the load. Some of you remind me of the same dumbasses a few years back when Crisis came out. The first thing many of you idiots did was crank up the graphics to the highest setting then complained their asses off about how laggy and shitty the game was. Thanks to many of you bitches out there, consoles are now taking over because you all whine like a bunch of whores.

You really are a moron, aren't you? People are complaining that if they drive their car too fast, the wheels fall off, and your response is "why would people want to drive fast in the first place? you're unrealistic for wanting to drive anywhere fast, and I only drive slow, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car".

If you design a game that allows for large maps with large numbers of AI, then it's your fucking responsibility to make sure it works right. If your engine can't support it, then you shouldn't be including options to play that way in the first place.

And your attempts to suggest it's a hardware problem are particularily idiotic when you've already been linked to a quote from the developers stating that it's a problem with the engine. It's not like there's any ambiguity here, they have flat-out stated the engine has issues. Not issues that have been fixed in Rebellion, not issues that you only get if you have shitty hardware, issues that are fundamental to the design of their engine.

And yet, here you are, apparently with more knowledge of the engine and its limitations than the developers themselves.

37. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 00:38 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 09:59:
I play just about every night with two other friends and we play on maps with 55 planets and three other AI on Vicious mode. Those games usually last us around 5 to 6 hours. Never once do we get the lag.

If you try playing a game with 100 plus planets and 6 AI then yes you will probably get lagged down at some point. But who really wants to play a game that long to begin with. thatís is not a feasible way of playing any RTS game and with any RTS game out there if you try playing a game for 30 or more hours then I would fully expect it to lag down or have memory issues.

Sins may be designed so you can attempt those kinds of games but in reality they are not feasible. Anyone who thinks they are is just fooling themselves and looking for trouble doing so.

Wow. You're a dumbass.

The game includes large maps by default. The game includes large numbers of AI by default. It's not like anyone had to hack the game to get the option to use them.

You don't get lag? Well big fucking deal. The reason you don't get lag is because you (deliberately?) play on smaller maps with smaller numbers of AI. If that's the way you want to play, fine. But that doesn't change the fact the game massively bogs down when you increase those settings.

As for who wants to play a game that long in the first place - how about lots of us? You don't? I don't give a shit. I want to play the game the way I enjoy playing it. And that's with lots of AIs and large numbers of planets.

If that's not a feasible way of playing, then they shouldn't be selling the game with the ability to do that. That's their fuckup, not mine. If playing that was is not feasible, that is, at best, false advertisement on their part. They should stop claiming to be able to play in such a fashion if their engine is incapable of handing it.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
145. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 26, 2012, 12:15 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:33:
I've been trying to ignore that part of the thread but I just have to say that Windows ME was a widely acknowledged disaster that even Microsoft regrets.

Time truly is the healer of all wounds, you guys are so silly

Not really silly, what it comes down to is personal experiences. It doesn't matter if 99.9% of the people have a shitty experience with something, if your experience with it is great (well, assuming you don't have to troubleshoot anyone else). This happens so constantly it's a wonder that people are still surprised with it - the old "well, I didn't run into any bugs, so the game is fine" line for example.

18. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 04:42 Bhruic

InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 03:40:
I was thinking of getting this (never played a single Sins game before) but the setting looks to be quite rich and well realized and the different factions are quite cool. All this talk about an end game bog down is giving me second thoughts....

It mainly happens on larger maps with larger numbers of opponents. If you play on medium or smaller, you really won't notice it.

Of course, playing on large maps with large numbers of opponents is fun, so it's a bit of a drag not to be able to enjoy them properly...

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
17. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 24, 2012, 09:32 Bhruic

avianflu wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 07:23:
New Vegas was indeed better in terms of writing than FO3 but you have to agree that New Vegas (the city) itself was tiny and disappointingly so.

Well, only in the way that most of the Bethesda games have been. Most of the cities in Skyrim, for example, are extremely small for "cities". My only real complaint about NV would be the amount that it was broken up (for consoles I assume). Had it had less loading areas, I think it would have been fine.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
11. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 24, 2012, 02:50 Bhruic

LittleMe wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 02:36:
They still sell Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 and those games are abandonware despite needing some patching of many issues.

That's actually a decent point. If you are still selling (and therefore making money off of) a game, can you really turn around and say that you can't afford to put out another patch for it?

News Comments > Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
30. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 22, 2012, 20:49 Bhruic

Ignoring the persons involved for a moment, how the hell did they get granted this patent in the first place? Is it really possible to take an idea that's been around for ages, find a new platform and patent the exact same idea for that new platform and claim the idea is "new"? Connecting to a server to do a license check goes back how far? I'm pretty sure one of the early Quakes had it, if not earlier games. So now suddenly the Android comes out and a company can claim to have invented the idea of connecting to a server for authorization on it?

Ugh. I knew patents were fairly idiotic these days, but this is taking it to a whole new level.

News Comments > Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer
9. Re: Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer Jul 19, 2012, 23:38 Bhruic

This does look good, I'm just worried about how well infantry can fare in such situations. I don't really enjoy maps where having vehicles is a necessity. But it's nice they've added some more things for air to do.  

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
44. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 17:55 Bhruic

Alamar wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:02:
Ya know, because D3 was the first to do this...

D3 proved you could still get massive sales while doing it. In other words, they proved it could be financially viable.

Hopefully it'll only be financially viable for big name titles, and smaller stuff will suffer for attempts to implement it, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo