Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
70. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:44 Bhruic

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:08:
What do they teach in schools today?

Today? No idea, it's been quite some time since I've been in school. Regardless...

There can be no "Rosa Parks" in nations that do not respect the validity of the arguments she makes.

If the nation had already respected her position, she'd have had nothing to protest, as there wouldn't have been any laws forcing her to sit at the back of the bus.

The Tienanmen Square uprising was put down brutally. The guy who stepped in front of the tanks was run over and crushed (that's the part they never show on the documentaries).

Even if true, what do you think this proves? I don't believe I made the claim that every single time a minority stood up for themselves it worked out wonderfully. Often times it ends up like it did for that guy. I don't think that alters the fact that if no one stood up, there'd be no incentive to change.

If the vast majority of Americans weren't open to the idea of racial equality, Parks would have been beaten down and no change made.

The vast majority of the Americans at the time weren't open to the idea of racial equality. Again, hence the existence of such laws as she was fighting. It wasn't the majority of Americans that tried the case, it was a court of law. It was law that changed, and it changed in order to protect minority rights (as it should).

It's worth pointing out that you've already basically agreed to this with your statement:
Blacks in the US convinced the majority of the population that they were morally and ethically wrong (often at great cost to themselves).

The "great cost to themselves" is what I'm talking about. Without those sacrifices, change - if any - would have been significantly slower in coming. So why are you arguing against homosexuals attempting to convince people in the same fashion?

There's just no comparison between a genetic characteristic like race and a behavioral one.

Well I suppose it's a good thing we're considering a genetic characteristic like homosexuality then, rather than a behavioural one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:26 Bhruic

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:58:
"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice." Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.

You don't care what the people who studied it say, you're not going to believe them anyway (paraphrasing your own words). So of course you're not going to believe any of the proof that exists. It's never going to be enough for you.

The majority, if not all, of peer reviewed studies have shown that homosexuality is not a choice. If you choose not to believe that, that's fine, but you are willfully disbelieving reality. How can you expect anyone to take you or anything you say seriously once you've stated that's your arguing position?

29. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 17:02 Bhruic

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:50:
A minority cannot force a majority to agree with them.

And that's why countries have laws. So that the rights of minorities aren't trampled on by the majority.

As to the rest, you are wrong. Minority rights have historically been granted because people from the minority had enough, and decided to stand up for themselves. Rosa Parks being the best example if you want to talk about "Blacks in the US".

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Google to drop search rankings of sites with many takedown notices. Aug 10, 2012, 20:13 Bhruic

So I'm sure this'll mean that YouTube links drop in the search rankings significantly, right Google?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
49. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 20:54 Bhruic

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 20:42:
Most polls on both sides say it's close. The fact that 45% of the voters on both sides made their choice prior to the primaries, makes it close. The fact that 5-10 states, and only those states will be the deciding factor, make it close. I'd like to believe you are correct. I don't think you are. And even if I did, I'm not sure I would care to say it loud for fear Mr. Murphy would come a callin'.

Ok, so you go back to the polls again. National polls are irrelevant. You don't need a national majority to win, so why bother with them? The only thing that matters are state polls. On that front, Obama is still clearly leading in sufficient "swing states" to get the electoral victory.

So yes, I am correct about how things stand right now. Again, everything is subject to change. But it's really annoying constantly hearing the media try to talk about how "close" the race is, when it's anything but.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
47. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 20:13 Bhruic

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 16:39:
I have no idea who will win the Presidential election. I think it's still too close to call.

And media is successful.

At some point it may get to the "too close to call" stage, but it certainly isn't there now. The problem is that the people who are reporting on it have a vested interest in trying to make it sound close so they can get more readers/viewers. It's like watching an episode of Survivor where it's obvious who's going to get voted out, but they use all sorts of edits to make it look like it's in doubt.

Right now it's not even remotely close - Obama has it locked up. Could that change? Certainly. But the media is trying to distract with general polls, and are ignoring the electoral math. Electorally, if the election were held today, Obama would win easily.

Again, that's not to say that "stuff" won't happen. The election is still fairly far off. But trying to describe the election as it currently stands as "too close to call" is just wrong.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! 2 Patch
13. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Patch Aug 7, 2012, 16:32 Bhruic

El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 15:50:
EDIT: Wow, Steam won't allow me to use PayPal anymore. Wtf?!

EDIT2: NO KIDDING - No more PayPal with Steam for me. I restarted Steam and PayPal is no longer available as a payment method. I'm asked to use my cc or some other dubious payment methods instead. Wow, Steam, what's going on?

Hmm, just checked, and I still have it listed as an option. Try contacting Steam directly?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2012, 17:10 Bhruic

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 15:58:
I think you guys tend to forget Obama had a democrat controlled congress for 2 years and still got nothing acomplished.

And I think you're once again overlooking the fillibuster.

They really should go back to forcing people who want to fillibuster to actually have to fillibuster, but that's not likely to happen.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2012, 14:49 Bhruic

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:23:
President Obama is demonstrating his ineptness as a leader of the most powerful nation. Unlike Presidents Reagan and Clinton before him, he has no clue how to work with a Congress that doesn't agree with him

Go look up how many times the fillibuster was used during Reagan and Clinton, and how many times it's been used for Obama. You can't "work with Congress" when they've explicitly stated that they are going to actively block every single thing you try and do.

Plenty of bills (this one included) got a majority vote, but not a super-majority (needed to pass a fillibuster).

News Comments > Dishonored Voice Cast
26. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 4, 2012, 11:59 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:10:
As for how much it costs, shrug, I don't care. Like if they hired 20 hobos off the street for a hundred bucks and a Subway party tray, they'd pass the savings onto us. Oh noes, the poor publishers, they spent some of the CEO's bonus on getting better voice actors! Whatever.

Uh, that's definitely missing the point. Games have budgets. If you spend X amount of dollars on voice "talent", that X amount can't go towards other areas of the game.

If they were increasing the game budget specifically to allow for recognizable actors, then you'd be right, it'd be a non-issue.

News Comments > AirMech Closed Beta
3. Re: AirMech Closed Beta Aug 3, 2012, 13:30 Bhruic

Yeah, it's currently in open beta, you can download it directly from their website.

The prices are a bit wonky, but you can buy a lot of things using in-game currency, so it's not so bad. They give out a fair amount of that.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 13:05 Bhruic

Don't gamers deserve answers? Don't the fans whose hundreds of millions of dollars a year keep this industry booming deserve to feel like game companies care enough to address their questions?

How about no? What a fucking whiney-sounding, entitled dick. They make a product. You buy a product. That's the extent of what you are "owed". Anything else that they do is out of generosity, and considering (as Graham said) how often they get shitted on over their comments, it's easy to understand why they don't want to talk about it.

Oh, and it's worth noting that this guy isn't talking about the game industry not communicating with gamers, it's about the game industry not communicating with the gaming press (or more specifically, him).

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 12:59 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 12:31:
Still, would it kill Valve to even mention that, yes, they are in fact working on Half Life 3?

It's a never-ending slippery slope. As soon as they said they are working on it, you'd then have the people asking when it's supposed to come out. Then you'd have the people asking whether it has X, Y, or Z. The idea that people would all be happy if Valve said "We are working on HL3" and not want follow-up is nice, but unrealistic.

News Comments > AirMech Closed Beta
1. Re: AirMech Closed Beta Aug 3, 2012, 12:55 Bhruic

Hmm, this is weird, afaik this game is still in open beta. Forum mentions them getting it on Steam, but nothing about them switching to a closed beta format. Seems a bit "false advertisment"-y on Steam's part if they are the ones making it sound like you can't get in without purchasing the bundle.  

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
144. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 2, 2012, 10:42 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:58:
L4D2 felt absolutely like a new game to me. Playing 2 first, then going back to 1, was painful, as some of the features I'd become accustomed to weren't there.

Well, sure, and if I go back to playing original Sins of a Solar Empire without the DLC, it's painful as some of the features aren't there. Same with Civ IV without the addons. That doesn't mean they should have been new games.

L4D2 was effectively some new campaigns with a few new features. Fine and all, but a rip-off at full price (imo of course).

140. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 2, 2012, 09:45 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:32:
I was one of the people most vocal about the L4D2 release here but it was unfounded and I don't mind admitting I was totally off base. It had 4 original campaigns, new game modes, new characters, some new infected and weapons. The only thing I wanted in that didn't make it until afterward was the ability to play maps from the first game. I didn't get a paid DLC vibe at all and I consider it a bargain at $60 or $6.

Well, I'd disagree fairly strongly. New characters are completely irrelevant, as your character doesn't matter in the game at all. But new game modes, new infected and new weapons (as well as more campaigns) were all what they promised they'd be delivering as DLC for the original L4D. Regardless of the "technical issues" that precluded that being done, making a new game with those features, and charging full price I still consider a pretty dick move.

For me, the only reason I picked it up was because it went on sale cheaply. Had it remained in the $40-$60 range, I would have considered it a rip-off.

137. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 2, 2012, 09:05 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 08:46:
Also ironically many of us got worked up about L4D2 and the media was right, it was great value and we were worried about nothing.

I wouldn't go that far. What Valve did right is very quickly have it go on sale. When you could pick it up a few months later for $5, it felt a lot less like a new game, and more like a paid DLC for the original.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
78. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Aug 2, 2012, 09:03 Bhruic

Veterator wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 23:09:
I am not sure we have the computing capability to do it, but it doesn't seem like anyone is even looking in that direction.

Oh, something like that could be doable. But you're overlooking human behaviour. You're always going to have people who find it more fun to ruin other people's experience than to do something on their own. Who's going to be interested in building things when you know that when you log off, someone can come along and destroy it all?

The trouble with so many of the truly interesting concepts when it comes to large-scale cooperative gaming is that they tend to rely on people having a cooperative mindset that just doesn't translate into reality. It's extremely difficult (hence why it hasn't been done) to create something truly open, and not have people end up abusing it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 08:59 Bhruic

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 03:14:
There were some great games on the C64. I remember really loving Jumpman, one of the great platformers of its day. And I finished Impossible Mission like 3 times just so I could see the end, "No, no, NO!" Other greats: Zork, Archon, Telengard, and the original Castle Wolfenstein. And the Sword of Fargoal (along with Telengard) made me into a lifelong CRPG player.

Ha, you beat me then, I never did manage to finish Impossible Mission. Too many good c64 games to mention, really, although I do have some very fond memories of playing some of the RPG classics (both Pool of Radiance and the original Bard's Tale jump to mind).

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
74. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Aug 1, 2012, 12:51 Bhruic

Ant wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 12:40:
Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 11:16:
Ant wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 10:38:
... I would have payed them for a single player version of the game, it was the monthly fee and lame sounding end game I didn't care for. The questing itself, at least what I played in beta, was quite good.
Payed?

You knew what he meant though, didn't you?
Yes. I am just being a spelling nazi.

I dunno, it's possible that he would have let out some rope in order to play a single player version...

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo