Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 2, 2012, 19:32 Bhruic

Quboid wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:35:
How's Dawnguard? How does it work, do you load up your last saved game and continue with that character even if the main story is done?

It's basically a completely add-in quest (well, series of quests). So yes, if you want to, you can load an old save and jump in to it. It's a bit less useful if you do it that way (you don't get to enjoy the new items/powers as much since you're effective "done" the game), but it's doable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Nerf Warning
8. Re: Diablo III Nerf Warning Sep 2, 2012, 15:18 Bhruic

SM0k3 wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:42:
I just think it's kind of stupid that they're calling it a "bug" after 2 weeks since release when it was obviously a screw-up on their side.

Uh, a "screw-up on their side" is the definition of a bug.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
37. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 31, 2012, 00:11 Bhruic

I'm sure people were thinking the same thing about Dragon Age 2. Being a sequel doesn't automatically mean good. And even if it is (which I hope), that doesn't indicate what they'll be putting into DLCs.

If people want to take the risk, by all means, go ahead, but it seems a bit foolish to jump into pre-buying undetailed DLC for a game that you haven't even played yet.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Launches
21. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 21:23 Bhruic

Clancy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:25:
They are not checking things before hand it seems...
SirTech is DEAD, yet, now Wizardy 8 is back from the dead ?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92970331&searchtext=

Smells really fishy.

Already been taken down:
This item has been banned for either violating the Steam Terms of Service or the Terms of Service for Greenlight.

32. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 19:02 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 16:31:
Season Passes make perfect sense, but not at 25% off. I'm not giving someone money for something that may suck before I'm even...

Wait, I'm describing what I do on Kickstarter all the time.

Really? You make a point of giving people money on Kickstarter when they haven't even described what the project is, or what you are going to get for your money?

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 15:48 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 15:11:
In this case, the season pass is even a complete joke. At least EA has the right idea giving you ALL DLC for 1 price or you can wait and buy what you want.

Well, not just that, at least EA had the right idea in that they actually announced what DLC you'd be getting (ok, I think they had 1 unannounced, but the majority were). With no idea what I'd get from this, there's no way I'd consider dropping money on it.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
5. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 00:18 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 23:33:
For me it's a little disheartening that they invoke Diablo 3 as an example, which kind of implies that they would consider releasing DRM-laden online only games as the "future".

Considering their plans for SimCity, it's not exactly a surprise they'd have no issues with requiring a connection to play the game. EA has been pushing hard to shoehorn "social" aspects of gaming into everything they can.

Although emulating the sales for Diablo 3 probably wouldn't make them upset either.

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
27. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 19:16 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 17:47:
There are a few issues here:
1) Obviously a large, open-ended world is a way to add value in a single player game, but there are a few issues here. For one, not every game, not every genre, and not every story lends itself to such things. For another, people tend to get burned out on these games and often will play one for 80+ hours then look for something less vast for a while. Lastly, some games end up feeling open for the sake of being open rather than actually needing to be, creating worthless grind (see: GUN, Mafia 2, etc.) And, regardless, the internet is full of people annoyed that Skyrim doesn't have multiplayer.

I'm not sure how this is an issue, as I didn't say every game should be an open-ended world. I said that is one of the ways people look at games in terms of perceived value. For most people, the value of a game is increased the more they play it. If you play a game for 5 hours vs 500 hours, the second one is considered to be the better value, regardless of the inherent quality of each game. That's why multiplayer is considered a good selling point, because when you have stuff like BF X, or CoD X, people that like them tend to spend a lot of time playing them. In their minds, multiplayer = game longevity.

And the internet isn't full of people annoyed Skyrim doesn't have multiplayer, the internet has a number of people who would have enjoyed it if Skyrim had coop play.

2) But your choice of a 6 hour game with multiplayer or a 12 hour game without isn't typically the choice. What if it was an 8 hour, stellar single player or the exact same game spread out over 12 hours by adding filler to the story, putting in levels that feel out of place, etc.? Some games just don't extend well, and while they're a blast for 8 hours they start losing their welcome after that. Would you rather they extend it? For lots of games more isn't better. No matter how much effort is put into the more added, more just isn't better. Some games shouldn't overstay their welcome.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the term "hypothetical"? You were making a big deal about how customers claim to want multiplayer, so I gave you a scenario where customers would overwhelming prefer the game without multiplayer to the one which had it. In other words, "multiplayer" isn't an automatic selling point, which you've been suggesting is the case.

As for the issue of "extending" games, that's not my problem. It's up to the developer/publisher to convince people that an 8 hour game is worth the money they are charging for it. For a lot of people it's not, because as I said, many people approach games from a time/value perspective. If someone wants to convince them otherwise, they have to convince them that quality is better than quantity. It's possible to do, but quite difficult to pull off.

3) And as to developers needing to do a better job explaining the value of what they're selling... how? No one trusts previews, and only a few read them anyway. Do you know what one of the top methods for selling a game is? The box. But there's little to judge on. Again, an extremely large part of the population will judge based on having two games in their hand and reading the back of the box. With little else to go on, they will very often buy the one that says it has multiplayer. For this reason lots of games get a stupid, tacked-on multiplayer no one ever expects anyone will play. It isn't like the people making the multiplayer aren't trying, but it's often a game that doesn't lend itself to it and everyone knows people are too busy playing the latest and greatest game built around multiplayer to bother with whatever this is. But you'll still get an enormous amount of people that use the inclusion of multiplayer as a way to make their poorly-informed decision in the store.

Again, that's not my problem. It's the problem of developers who want to make 8hr games and sell them for $60. And again, the reason that they use "multiplayer" to try and sell a game, that has nothing to do with multiplayer, and everything to do with changing customers' perceived value. A game with multiplayer is considered, rightly or wrongly, to have a longer lifespan than a game without. That's fine, as far as it goes, if people get suckered, that's their loss.

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
22. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 17:36 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:55:
Customers are often wrong, yes, it's one of the dumbest myths in the world that "the customer is always right."

You know as well as I do that the "the customer is always right" line has nothing to do with the customer actually being right, and everything to do with the attitude service personnel are expected to take towards customers.

Dude, it doesn't matter how much better they make it, people will still complain that the hours to dollars ratio is a key component. They'd rather 12 mediocre hours to 6 fantastic ones.

You're talking about perceived product value. The reason people say they'd like multiplayer in a game has nothing to do with multiplayer, it has to do with people thinking about how much time they spend playing a particular game. With some notable exceptions (stuff like Skyrim, or GTA), people spend the most time playing multiplayer games. So when you ask them what they'd like to increase the perceived value of a game, they are going to say "multiplayer". Because in their mind, multiplayer would increase the amount of time they'd spend playing the game, and therefore increase their perceived value.

But they could just as easily say "large, open-ended world". The notable exceptions I listed tend to have that, which is another avenue to longer play times.

But at the end of the day, if you asked people if they'd rather have a 6hr single player with a shitty multiplayer tacked on, or a purely single player 12hr game, almost everyone would choose the latter. Game developers (well, publishers) need to do a better job explaining to people the value of the products they are selling, if they really think they are worth it. If I can spend $60 and get a game like Skyrim that I play for well over 100hrs, or a game like GW2 where I can play even longer, why would I want to spend $60 for 12hr of single player? This isn't the hypothetical "well, what about movies" scenario, it's a direct apples-to-apples comparison. If you're competing for customers' dollars, you have to be able to convince them your product is worth their money. Tacking on shitty multiplayer isn't going to do it.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 16:45 Bhruic

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:51:
Also, if you designed something that took you years to complete, using all your time, energy, and money, and then someone copied it in just a few months and started selling more than you, would you be happy?

No, I wouldn't be happy, but Apple seems to make a good business of doing just that, so apparently it's allowed.

Oh, you thought the above description only described Samsung?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
64. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:32 Bhruic

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:50:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:30:
Skyrim got a ton of flack for its shitty UI and poor optimization.
Ah...huh... what about the bugs and pathetic textures? No, there was just a huge thud as everyone simultaneously dropped to their knees.

And what does that have to do with anything? We are talking about the quality of the port. If the game had bugs across all platforms (which it did), then the quality of the port doesn't enter in to the equation. Now if you could point to a hugely significant list of bugs that were only present on the PC port, then you might have a case. But while there were PC-specific bugs, none of them were very significant.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 10:06 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 09:44:
Points for honesty but that doesn't make it ok. This is about as barebones a port as they come.

The problem with some of these companies seems to be that to them, "PC port" means "copy the game exactly on to the PC". Which isn't what fans are really asking for when they want a game to come to the PC.

What we got here, effectively, is the PS3 version on PCs - with all the PS3 limitations still built in. I suppose for the people who don't have a PS3 (which I don't) who wanted to play this game as-is, such a port will work, but for those of us who dislike controllers, and want games to run >720p, it's fairly half-assed.

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
1. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 09:59 Bhruic

This is why I could never be an executive or PR guy. There's no way I could lie that blatantly.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out
4. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 10:47 Bhruic

I'd really like to know what their justification is for capping MF at 300%. I mean, I suspect people will be happy that it's no longer averaged out, but throwing the cap in seems a bit nasty, especially as people have spent money trying to get it as high as possible.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2012, 02:46 Bhruic

But if your iPhone/iPad is stolen, it's gone, and there's nothing that Apple or the police can do to help you retrieve it. Nothing at all.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2012, 04:57 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 00:56:
So I can understand Assange, I would not want to even visit Sweden and every time I see it in the top spot on gender equality I cringe. Equality is very relative.

My understanding is that he agreed to go to Sweden as long as Sweden would agree to forego any possibility of him being extradited to the US. Sweden refused.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
134. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 16:45 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:35:
I never said the organizers and participants were sitting around whining.

Which leaves me wondering why you brought up people sitting around whining in the first place?

Just take the political spin (which was indicated in the article) out of it. Hopefully a minority attendee who previously felt hopeless can get a positive out of it -- make new friends, etc.

I just re-read the article, and can't find any "political spin" in it - can you point out what you saw?

Of course, but I'd wager that 99% of the attendees already consider homosexuality normal. Agree? Disagree?

Attendees? Most likely. People who hear/read about it? Definitely not.

Well if the majority of young people support it, not much else needs to be said. The next generation is taken care of -- they'll pass it on to their children.

Sure, if the other side weren't fighting back, maybe resting on one's laurels would work. But when you've got various religious groups out preaching about the evils of homosexuality, you have to keep your message alive, or you'll end up losing ground.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
127. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 15:00 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:13:
Why does it work? Because no one sits around and whines about how life is so hard and unfair.

Where are you getting this idea that anyone involved in this group - the creators or the participants - is sitting around whining about how life is so hard and unfair. Rather, it seems like what they are doing is attempting to be pro-active about it, and ensure that they have an event that they can enjoy without the negativity they get in other aspects of their life.

I also think you are underestimating the effect that events like this can have. No, it's not going to change the mind of your "backwoods, redneck", but it's not supposed to. The more exposure that people have to something, the more "normal" it becomse. Young people rather overwhelming supports homosexuals for that very reason. It's not about this generation, it's about the next.

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live
32. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 22:51 Bhruic

Turns out that you can play with less than 6 people (it defaults to needing 3).

tf_mvm_min_players_to_start X (where X is the number needed to start, obviously).

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live
5. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 11:34 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 11:27:
I was hoping that I could play this mode solo with bots, but from what others are saying it sounds like I can't. Too bad.

It seems like you can play it solo if you create a local game, but it doesn't seem to work if you're trying to play solo on a dedicated server. Or, at least, I have yet to get it to work.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo