Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 7, 2012, 21:11 Bhruic

Most indie developers I know are starving artists for who $100 dollars is a month's worth of food.

Yeah, I'm calling BS. $100 is not "rolling in cash".

Not to mention the fucking entitlement that is reeking off that article. Valve doesn't owe anyone being on Steam. Hell, before they introduced this system, I suspect getting on it was a hell of a lot harder than it is now. If you can't cough up $100 to try and get your game on there, then that's your problem.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
131. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 7, 2012, 14:01 Bhruic

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 11:37:
Congrats Prez and Verno.... you prove my point. One of you looks at this and sees "slightly crass" behavior -- the other sees "offenses she alleges are not a halfway thing open to interpretation."

Well, clearly they are open to interpretation since the two of you just interpreted them differently. Like I said, we'll never know the truth. Heck, the two of them may never know the truth.

Well, part of the problem is that we don't know all the facts, so there's a degree of speculation. I mean, there's no reason to believe the emails aren't factual, but a lot of the deposition stuff hasn't been released. There could be a lot more to it (or nothing more to it) than we've been told.

So what people are going to take from it depends on how reliable they feel the information we've been presented is. Prez obviously doesn't feel it's terribly reliable, where Verno does. Hence their different interpretations.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
43. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:30 Bhruic

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:54:
Since Rebellion was off Impulse, I was erroneously convinced that they were split from Stardock finally. I am not sure what the nature of the relationship is, funding/publishing on some level apparently, but it's still there. Ugh. They have only abandoned Impulse as a delivery service, it seems. :(

Stardock doesn't own Impulse any more, so that's why. Even some Stardock stuff is on Steam now (GalCiv II for example). So it's no surprise that Sins showed up there.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
43. Re: It's you who should apologize to id. Sep 6, 2012, 01:40 Bhruic

hb3d wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 23:16:
I took your comment of "apologists" to mean those who were apologizing for id's not having included multiplayer in this re-release because it wasn't needed due to the mod community's efforts. And, my point is that those apologists are right. id has given plenty of free Doom to PC gamers. It doesn't need to give us any more. We have all of the multiplayer Doom we need.

Well, no, the apologists aren't right. The "we" who have all the multiplayer we need are also going to be the "we" who already have all the multiplayer we need. The people who would buy this package aren't (necessarily) going to be in the "we". People tend to have a common misconception where if they know something, they assume everyone else does too. But there are likely plenty of people who have no idea about the free multiplayer Doom that's out there.

Frankly, however, I don't see the demand for the package to be very substantial on the PC (or any platform for that matter), so at the end of the day it's probably more of a moot point than anything else. But if they are going to sell it to people, the least they can do is ensure that they are getting their money's worth by including multiplayer support, even if they have to get permission from one of the "free" versions to do so.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway
42. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 6, 2012, 01:34 Bhruic

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 00:06:
PPM as a statistic is little more than a curiosty, so in the (admittedly few) videos of tournament games that I've watched, why is there so much artificial boosting of the number of actions? Players regularly click twenty times on the destination for a unit while it is en route, or use hotkeys to alternate between two units and reissue the same orders to each continuously. By all means be lightning fast at issuing orders but don't let one statistic become an obsession...

It's not an obsession, it's a training system. Some people believe that in order for them to be on top of their APM when it matters most (in the middle of a large battle, say), they need to have kept up the same APM throughout the game. They believe that if they haven't been using their max APM, their reflexes will have slowed down, and they won't respond quickly enough. I don't know if that's actually true, not sure if there's been any studies on it, but that's why they do it. It's not simply to stat pad.

News Comments > NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop
10. Re: NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop Sep 6, 2012, 01:29 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:32:
Even someone who lost their job and had to stop buying a $60 game every month can still play Angry Birds or PvZ.

Assuming the happen to have a smart phone, sure. While they are numerous, they are universal. There are plenty of people who don't have one. And people who've lost their jobs quite possibly can't pay for one.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not
18. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 01:26 Bhruic

Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:28:
Relevant Ars article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/sharing-your-simcity-with-others/

Holy fucking shit. From the article:

The developers are adamant that they'll be putting backstops in place to prevent those kind of day one issues, but said that if it becomes a problem they could briefly allow people to play offline while things get fixed.

So they are putting in an online requirement, but they admit that it's entirely possible to play the game offline. At least Blizzard claimed (rightly or wrongly) that they couldn't remove the online component because it was integrated into the game. EA is flat-out stating that they could allow the ability to play offline. If they weren't dicks.

News Comments > NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop
5. Re: NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop Sep 5, 2012, 22:27 Bhruic

while 2011's largest gamer category, core gamers, who focus on playing traditional console game systems

*sigh*

Sometimes you just read something that makes you want to smack whoever wrote it upside the head. The above quote just managed it.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not
13. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 22:26 Bhruic

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:27:
I think this was just a foot in mouth kind of thing. Poorly worded, as EA has several high profile upcoming games that are largely single player (even if they have unnecessary multiplayer added): Dead Space 3, Sims, SimCity, and Crysis 3, among others.

Well, no, the "unnecessary multiplayer" is exactly what he was talking about. He's not going to green light any game that is entirely single player. Some form of multiplayer, or "social gaming" must be shoehorned in. Otherwise it's a no-go. That's the big EA kick at that moment (and sadly evidenced in the changes to Steam, although at least there it's still optional), this insistence on trying to make everything about gaming a social activity.

Basically, EA is trying to crowdsource advertisement. If they can force you to hock their games to all your friends, that's less advertisement they have to do themselves (and more effective too). The downside is that it's still, in the end, a form of advertisement, which is damned annoying.

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
54. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 19:07 Bhruic

ViRGE wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 18:34:
That's an excellent point. Ubisoft's last experiment with DRM free games was a miserable failure (the sales to BitTorrent piracy ratio was something silly, and that's before casual copying), which is what led to UPlay in the first place.

That's a ridiculous point. While we don't know sales numbers, the idea that the sales-to-piracy numbers went up when they introduced UPlay is asinine. If anything, the piracy numbers went up, and the sales numbers down. That's the reason they are scaling back their efforts - because they obviously didn't work. So claiming that DRM free games were a "miserable failure" is absolutely incorrect.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
32. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 22:48 Bhruic

Bah, screw a new controller. If Valve is going to work on hardware, make the damn portal gun already!!

(Ok, I'll settle for the gravity gun)

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
59. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:47 Bhruic

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:48:
No You! I will drop a single name that will shut you up. Robinhood.

If illegally downloading software is helping you feed starving families, then by all means, continue. On the slightly more believable chance that illegally downloading software is just letting you play stuff for free, Robin Hood you aren't.

58. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:44 Bhruic

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 21:06:
Pre-orders are still important, even in the digital days.

Ok, I'm talking about how they were important for gamers, and you give multiple paragraphs of why they are good for publishers. I'm sure they are. Lots of nickle-and-dime crap is good for publishers. But as far as consumers are concerned, pre-ordering - by itself - is relatively useless. That's why publishers end up doing the silly pre-order bonuses, or the slightly more useful pre-order discounts. They know people have no reason to do them on their own, so they are forced to dangle a carrot to get gamers to play along.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 4, 2012, 22:40 Bhruic

Freedom... <insert pic of Inigo Montoya here>  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
4. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 4, 2012, 22:39 Bhruic

Techie714 wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:
I'm like the only guy that still likes BF3 & I'm a huge ARMA fan...lol.

Nah, I still like the game. Just haven't played in awhile since they never managed to stop the blatant hacking - plus I didn't pick up Close Quarters (not my cup 'o tea). This DLC looks like it could be better, so I might snag it. Depends if the other guys I tend to play with are interested as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2012, 18:04 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:53:
Challenge is a pretty integral part of most game experiences. Imagine if you couldn't die in Amnesia. Imagine if you had regenerating health in DayZ. Imagine if you didn't actually have to aim in shooters (actually, you can just play CoD on consoles if you want to see that in action).

The risk of failure is what forces you to try new things and extend beyond your comfort zone. It promotes planning and forethought. Basically, it's what makes gameplay meaningful.

That's one possible experience to get from a game. It's not the only one. Some people, for example, enjoy the story element of a game. They might want to play Skyrim, for example, and interact with people, do quest lines, etc, but don't want the frustration of constantly having to reload or redo sections because they are too hard (for them). Or someone might enjoy the feeling of being "invincible", and run through hordes of enemies slaughtering them all easily.

Making assumptions about how players enjoy games tends to shut out people who don't enjoy games in that fashion.

44. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 17:58 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:10:
What'd be the point of pre-ordering the game if it were included? Exactly, there'd be none.

And there shouldn't be. The whole concept of "pre-order" came about during the physical copies days. You pre-ordered a game to ensure that there'd be a copy waiting for you on release day, because if you didn't, there was a decent chance they'd be sold out.

With digital sales - and therefore "unlimited" copies - that reason no longer exists. At best, you can do a preload. But apparently developers and/or publishers fell in love with them so much that they wanted to keep them going, so now they offer extras to try and entice people into pre-orders. I assume it makes business sense, as otherwise it's pretty dumb, but in a lot of ways they could just get rid of it altogether.

News Comments > Age of Conan Update Plans
10. Re: Age of Conan Update Plans Sep 3, 2012, 16:42 Bhruic

Pyloff wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 16:36:
Is this F2P yet? One of the first MMO's I nearly hit max level at.

It's been F2P for quite some time now. It's a bit limited, in that you only have the option of playing one class from each archetype, but afaik you can go all the way to level 80 (max level). I don't think you can raid, and I know you can't access the add-on content.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2012, 00:08 Bhruic

Quboid wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 22:41:
ASeven wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 18:50:
On a semi-related note, I Am Alive seems to have leaked for the PC and it may get the worst port for PC away from RE4 if what I read on related forums is true.

Leaked as in, a pre-release version? Bad idea to draw conclusions from a beta.

No, it appears it's the "final" code - or at least that's what the claim is.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 2, 2012, 19:34 Bhruic

DangerDog wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 15:11:
As with earlier downgrade rights, the customer is responsible for obtaining the installation media for the older operating system.

"Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you," read the licensing agreement. "You must obtain the earlier version separately."

good luck with that

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. You're allowed to put an earlier copy on for free, but you have to get that copy yourself - which, strictly speaking, is illegal. Kind of like the old "you're legally allowed to make a backup of a DVD, but you aren't legally allowed to break the copy protection to make a backup of a DVD".

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo