Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
49. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 09:17 Bhruic

Spektr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:11:
Ok Mr Pardo. You and your company are officially on my black list.

Ok, sorry to single you out, but wtf?

When is the last time you played a purely single player game from Blizzard? When is the last time Blizzard even made a purely single player game? There's no chance that Blizzard had any plans to make a single player only game in the future, even if it was financially viable, because that's not the type of games they make. So why would you "black list" him for making a statement that - while I don't agree with - has zero impact on, well, anything?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 07:40 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 07:12:
This guy really said a lot of things every single person here agrees with.

I don't know about every single person, but probably most. But I'm not sure what your point is with that - just because someone says something I agree with doesn't mean they can't also say something that I don't agree with - and something that I consider to be stupid.

Is anyone here surprised by that? Yes, there are still big AAA single player games, but we all see the trend the industry is trying to further monetize things to cover the fact that we have a billion people working on most AAA games these days. We may not like it, but we all see that trend.

You're talking about something else here. Can companies make more money by monetizing things? Certainly. Does that mean that doing so is necessary? Not really.

21. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 22:06 Bhruic

I wanted to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he's talking about single player only games, which rules out a lot of the games mentioned here - although ones like Skyrim are still notable successes, but then I realized that doesn't make sense.

Blizzard doesn't make single player only games. I'm not sure they've ever made a single player only game. He's welcome to his opinion, but that's all it is, it has no real bearing on anything else. Blizzard is focused on multiplayer (or a significant multiplayer component), and wouldn't likely be changing that regardless of the atatus of AAA single player games.

News Comments > DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod
1. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 20:12 Bhruic

I'm not sure which is funnier, that DICE thinks people are worried about getting caught cheating in BF3, or that they finally think they are going after cheating by banning people who change the colour.  

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
33. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 20:01 Bhruic

I don't understand how the $1.9 million goal is supposed to work? If they make $1.8 million, the money gets spent on one game, if they get $100K more, they make two. You can't make a separate game - well, not a good one at the quality we are expecting - with so little money, so how can they claim to do that without compromising at least one, more likely both, games? Sure, they can likely share are assets, engine, etc, but there's a lot that can't be shared.

Strikes me as making this overly ambitious. I'd rather they do one game really well rather than two half-decent ones.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
198. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 19:44 Bhruic

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 17:42:
At least that's been my observations anytime you read a forum or site that caters to that demographic. Preach tolerance and acceptance and bash the fuck outta anything or anyone conservative. It's pot meets kettle in it's truest form.

In general, I don't disagree completely with you, but one of the things that I find some conservatives - and I'm not saying you here - seem to believe is that being tolerant means you need to be tolerant of other people's intolerance. We don't need to be tolerant of racism, we don't need to be tolerant of sexism, etc. And some conservatives approach the situation that way - and yes, they tend to be religious.

I get the hate for the church given their views on the topic, I don't get the hate for conservatives in general though.

I think it's a case of some conservatives giving the rest a bad name. Or, perhaps, that conservatives have some really bad spokespeople - especially in the US. One only need look at the likes of Glenn Beck or Ann Coulter, for example.

Hell the world would be so far better off without religion in the first place to be honest.

You can get unqualified agreement from me on that one.

197. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 19:39 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 13:08:
So you're saying adding an additional point or comment that's not necessarily related to any other detail you've mentioned but is related to the topic is not allowed? Please point me to the set of rules for discussion on Blue's News so I can get it right next time.

You're allowed to use any logical fallacy you want, just don't expect anyone to take your argument seriously.

Again -- you with the whole black and white thing. I never said it was a dumb idea. I've said from the start that I encourage people exercising their right to free speech and right to assemble. This is a special interest group and there's nothing wrong with that.

And again with the not being able to read thing. I didn't say you said it was a dumb idea, I said you made a post agreeing with someone who said it was a dumb idea.

By the time I jumped in on the thread, it had already gone beyond GaymerCon. I disagree with the idea that drawing a line and making a bunch of noise to establish the fact that you are different, as the gay community is still doing, is an effective means of accomplishing social change or enhancing rights.

Ok, so you don't think GaymerCon is a dumb idea, but you think that establishing that you are different - which is exactly what GaymerCon does - is a dumb idea. And you wonder why you're being perceived as inconsistent.

Childish would be 'you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny'. I can't possibly know that.

I still think you're a fucking idiot, and that's based on an opinion I've formed of you. Not childish, just my observation.

Having to resort to insults in an attempt to bolster your position is childish, regardless of what rationalization you use for them.

Not to mention, of course, that it's blatantly against the forum rules - or are you going to claim you need those rules pointed out to you too?

Glad to keep you entertained. The fact that in your last response none of your points had anything to do with the thread topic tells me you do want to find a reason to argue.

This from the guy who was chastising me earlier for making the assumption that he was talking on-topic... What was your response again? Oh, yes, "I was responding to your generalizations, which were in response to discussions that strayed off topic. Feel free to keep it on topic."

If you don't take me seriously, why do you continue to respond anyway?

Sometimes I get trolled successfully I guess. I'll have to work on that.

151. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 12:28 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:03:
I suggest you stop making assumptions on things that aren't specifically stated and applying your own bias to them based on the opinion you've formed of me. I'll be happy to clarify, but you need to be willing to listen.

It's not a matter of assumptions when it's a bald read on what you are saying. And I shouldn't need to ask you to clarify every single thing you say, if what you are saying isn't what you mean, you should try focusing on actually saying what it is you do mean.

Black and White is the only concept your simple mind seems to be able to comprehend.

Ah, well, I'm glad that you've gone the insults route. Because otherwise I might have been tempted to take you seriously.

...strawman...

...that word -- I do not think it means what you think it means. Either that or you're twisting my words again just so you can use it. Are you going to find a way to fit "white knight" into the thread too? Don't stop at just one trendy Blue's News term...

If it means that you are creating a misrepresentation of my position in an attempt to counter my point(s), then I do know what it means. And look, that is what it means. Perhaps in your rush to try and appear clever, you forgot to actually make sure that you aren't wrong.

I know. Those are my words. That's my opinion on how effective demonstration is.

Of course those are your words. But in an argument, you use your words to counter the position of the other person. If you are using your words to counter a position the other person hasn't advanced, then you are being rather ineffective - at best - in the argument.

Are you seriously taking something out of second-hand context to imply that I'm against GaymerCon even though every other post where I've metioned it I've been for it?

No, I'm stating that your position is inconsistent. When your early introduction into a discussion is agreeing with the resident homophobe's assertion that this group's attempt at creating a LGBT-friendly event is a dumb idea, your later assertions that you don't have a problem with it are likely to be met with skepticism.

Bhruic, you are a fucking idiot and all you want to do is create a reason to argue. It's obvious you and I disagree on a lot of points -- why not leave it at that?

And here I'd already typed up a nice response before I got to this part. Taking you seriously indeed...

Leaving aside your childish insults, it is rather amusing that we disagree on lots of points, but I'm somehow "creating" a reason to argue. A sensible person would realize that disagreeing on lots of points is a reason to argue.

145. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 11:52 Bhruic

RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:39:
You have 1 sort. Everyone on your side of the border.

I'm on the same side of the border as you. Hence me wishing I could ship you south.

142. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 11:35 Bhruic

RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:22:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:13:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:11:
Could be worse, you could live here.

I'd be happy to trade him for you.

You couldn't pay me enough.

I dunno, places like, say, Arizona seem like your sort of people.

139. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 11:13 Bhruic

RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:11:
Could be worse, you could live here.

I'd be happy to trade him for you.

134. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 10:49 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 09:49:
Your words, not mine.

Not sure why you keep backing away from your posts. When you say "stop doing X and do Y instead", then yes, you are suggesting that you can't do both. If that's not what you intended to say, then I suggest you pick your words better next time.

If you read my prior posts you'll see that I encourage standing up for one's rights on an individual level. Make that your focus when the lines are crossed. Put your time and energy into that, because that's what will get you somewhere.

You'll never do as much on an individual level as you will on a group level. That's why, for example, people join political parties instead of trying to go solo.

Marching down the street and yelling doesn't right the wrongs, it just makes a lot of noise. Look at how effective Occupy Wall Street was.

Well, that's a strawman, as I was never suggesting that marching up and down streets would be righting wrongs.

I've been preaching exactly what you stated above (again, read some of my prior posts). Stand up for your rights and the changes you want and do something about it.

And yet here you are implying that these people shouldn't be having their GaymerCon. And before you say you didn't say that - yes, you didn't, but you agreed with someone who did (post #62).

And you think that's going to help? Whose mind will it change? Like I said, us non-gays get it,and we've already taken our stance. What makes you think "hammering home" is going to make a difference? It sounds like you want to force-feed the idea to people at this point. That's not what this country is about. Do something that's actually effective if you want change.

Of course it's going to help. You apparently don't understand how society changes over time. You don't (with notable exceptions) have a single event that changes society, inertia is too strong. You need to constantly push against it to change it. I mean, you only need look at how much things have changed so far.

127. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 09:30 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 09:04:
Don't twist my words. The gay community can say anything they want and I never said they had to be "allowed" to do so. I'm of the opinion that it's ineffective at this point and will likely work against them.

I wasn't twisting your words, you stated that pointing out that they are different is going to call negative attention to themselves. Which is just another way of stating that people shouldn't call attention to the fact that they are different.

We've formed our stance on the matter and the percentage of people whose mind could be changed for the better by your constant attention drawing activities is miniscule. Stop drawing the line in the sand and start putting your efforts towards making the changes that truly affect you (don't ask don't tell, same sex marriage, etc.). Get involved in politics beyond just shouting. Call your congressman / woman. And at the very least - VOTE. Can you believe Prop 8 was allowed in the first place? In a state that's primarily democratic?!? I find that hard to believe. Get out and vote and do something productive with your time...

You're acting as if these ideas are contradictory. As if you can't both be politically active as well as standing up for yourself.

And, frankly, the fact you keep talking about voting (and ignored the huge section on non-rights issues) just proves you don't get it. You can't legislate opinions. If you want to be treated equally, you have to stand up and demand equality, because if you just sit there passive, people are going to walk over you.

Things like gay pride parades and this GaymerCon are a way for LGBT people to stand up and say "we're here, we're not going anywhere, and it's about time you got used to that fact". And considering the resistance to that fact that they get (especially in the US), it's a message that needs to be continually hammered home.

News Comments > Non-Gaming Apps on Steam
13. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 20:07 Bhruic

This is a bit of an underwhelming launch. I expected them to have - at minimum - a few dozen apps lined up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: 1 billion mission to earth's mantle Oct 2, 2012, 19:22 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:16:
Make sure to bring a bunch of highly strung scientists along, preferably one who smokes and talks to a voice recorder all the time, as well as a token chick who is in no way, shape or form hot and who will refuse to open the door when said cigarette smoking dude is dying.

Oh, and bring multiple detonators for your nukes. Your mission will be golden.

(Fuck you, guys. The Core was awesome!)

It was the French guy who got trapped and who the "hot chick" refused to open the door and rescue. The smoking dude got pinned under a nuke, and couldn't be freed in time.

And as awesome(ly bad) as the movie was, it's so unbelievably hard to overlook some of the silliness. Like - how were they going to detonate the nukes in the first place? They couldn't detach any of the pods because the release was "outside" the ship. There's no way to eject the nukes. So effectively, the only way to set them off was inside the ship. Brilliant planning!

Still a fun movie to watch, if only to make fun of. I enjoy Hackers for the same reason.

120. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 18:26 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:38:
Nope, I'm just responding to your post.

Yes, you were responding to my post by attempting to suggest that systemic inequality is functionally identical to sporatic inequality. Which is a ludicrous position.

Don't generalize for any demographic, regardless of status.

Um, sorry, but generalizations are useful - as long as they are accurate. If most of the people feel or act in a specific way, then it doesn't matter if everyone does.

As a white middle class male I feel that what you said is disrespectful. How can anyone meet in the middle if they don't show respect for an opposing party (or an opposing viewpoint, like on a message board)?

Ok, and I don't care? I'm not trying to meet in the middle. The idea that this is some sort of compromise situation (again, what you were trying to suggest last time) is stupid. As someone else has already said, this isn't a case where both sides have somewhat valid arguments. One side is right, and one side is wrong. There is no middle to meet at.

Those are your words, not mine. I put 'make' in quotes because I'm referring to the attitude that you can 'make' people have a specific belief or opinion on something. Forceful and loud social agendas rarely do anything to change someones mind. People need to put time into standing up for their rights when they've been infringed upon. That is much more productive.

Oh, please, those are exactly your words. It doesn't matter if you put make in quotes or not, it doesn't change the meaning of your sentence. Forceful and loud social agendas aren't designed to change people's minds. They are designed to change society's attitudes. Racism was prevalent when it was acceptable. When people stood up, and said (loudly and forcefully, I assure you) that it wasn't, society changed. Does that mean racism disappeared? Of course not. It does mean, however, that racism is now socially unacceptable. The same goal can be accomplished for LGBTs.

Someone, please educate me on the benefits to same sex marriage. The only thing I could come up with is tax benefits. Is that really all it's about, or is there more to it than I'm aware of?

Someone's already mentioned the hospital situation, which is the tip of the iceberg there. Spouses have lots of legal rights for their partners that you don't otherwise have. Not being allowed to get married denies you all of those rights.

What other rights are there that gays do not have?

It's not simply about rights. It's about attitudes. There are almost no situations where you would get fired for admitting to being a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where you would get kicked out of your apartment for being heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where your family would throw you out on the street and disown you if you told them you were a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where you'd get beaten up and possibly killed by people because they knew you were a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals.

And the list could go on.

I just hope that people don't think that something like this will influence a political or social agenda for the better, or they will be disappointed. If you keep advertising that you are different and deserve recognition, you too have drawn the very line that you are trying to erase.

Ah, yes, the old "you're allowed to be different as long as you don't tell anyone that you are different" line.

81. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 09:09 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 08:56:
Weak argument. You're assuming that the so-called majority here hasn't experienced intolerance from gays. I've experienced it myself and seen it dished out to others -- hatred, intolerance directed at those they assume hate and are intolerant of them -- instead of stopping to think that there is someone that actually does respect them despite differences.

You can't seriously be trying to suggest that systemic prejudice is equal to isolated incidences. Blacks were held in slavery for decades, but if a couple black guys kidnapped a white guy and forced him to do stuff for them, suddenly it's all even and blacks should accept being slaves?

This idea of equivalency between such disparate situations is just silly.

Trying to find a way to 'make' it equal goes nowhere, and just because someone is a minority doesn't give them the right to degrade a majority.

Right, we shouldn't try and make everyone equal, we should just accept that some people are going to be treated worse based on something they had no control over, and not make any attempt to rectify the situation.

Two wrongs don't make a right

By all means, point out the "wrong" that the minority is committing by trying to have their GaymerCon.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
72. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 2, 2012, 09:02 Bhruic

DG wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 08:43:
elemental multiplier tables

Damn, nice find. I knew some of that, but parts of it I wasn't aware of.

News Comments > New Morrowind Overhaul
3. Re: New Morrowind Overhaul Oct 1, 2012, 21:20 Bhruic

Pretty sure Morrowind was The Elder Scrolls III. Oblivion was IV.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
59. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 19:16 Bhruic

I guess I've been lucky, in that since my friend hasn't had time to play recently, my experiences have been all solo, and generally decent. I've got decent loot as I've gone. Sure, I've kept a gun for a number of levels, but that's not because I haven't got a better one, it's because I tend to get attached to a specific style of playing, so if I find a better gun that works slightly differently, I don't necessarily switch.

But I've found lots of purples, plenty of oranges in both my main playthroughs. I've had a bit of "loot disappearing underground" going on, but I don't think anything too serious.

My main annoyances:
Game balance - especially boss fights - seems aimed at multiplayer. Some of them are freaking insanely difficult if you don't terrain exploit. I'm sure they are much easier when you've got someone that can pull you back up if you drop, but if you don't, you're screwed. Same with some of the pure fight challenges (the "survive X waves" ones). You can go 20 minutes through a round, hit a bad streak of luck, and go down with no one that you can kill to get back up. And so you have to repeat the whole damn thing. Very tedious.

Not enough storage. Ugh. Games never seem to give options for packrats. I tend to hold on to things. I never want to sell a purple or better, for example, even if I'm not going to use it. I might want to give it to another character! (probably not going to happen, but I like to hold on to things anyway) And yes, you can upgrade your bank and personal storage, but only to a point. I can easily fill that space, and have little left. Which is annoying when you like to pick up everything. I've got plenty of Eridium to spend, but nothing I want to spend it on. It's even worse on your second run through - I was expecting to be able to buy more upgrades. Nope.

Better weapon descriptions. It's really weird, sometimes you'll have a gun that says "uses 3 ammo", and it does, sometimes you'll have a gun use 3 ammo when it doesn't say it does. Or sometimes it'll use 3 ammo only part of the time. For example, I was using a Dahl? gun - whichever does the burst-fire when zoomed. When unzoomed, 1 trigger pull uses 1 ammo. When in zoom mode, it does burst-fire, which of course is 3 shots. So it should use 3 ammo, right? Nope, uses 9 ammo. Apparently each burst shot is using 3 ammo for some reason. And of course there's nothing that tells you it does that, I just noticed I tended to run out of ammo faster than I was expecting.

Similar to the above, I'd really like number integration. You get Badass levels that gives you +X% faster, say, reloading. Then you've got a skill that gives you +Y% faster reloading. Then you've got an artifact that gives you +Z% faster reloading. So how fucking fast do I reload a gun? I mean, yes, I know it depends on the gun itself, but why not have the tooltip box actually list the functional reload speed, not just the gun itself?

That's about all the ones that jump into my mind at the moment. I'll probably think of some others later. I should point out that despite the annoyances, I do think the game is pretty damn good.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo