Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 28, 2012, 13:10 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 18:59:
IGN gave MOH a 4.0.

Though not sure why, the review makes it sound identical to CoD. All the complaints can be lodged against CoD. So I'm not sure why it's so much worse.

I think that's the point. The game suffered from a distinct lack of being called CoD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content
28. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 12:47 Bhruic

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:50:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:33:
PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 09:33:
The game is a computer programmer's wet dream.

As a computer programmer... No, it's not. Frankly, I've never seen the appeal of the game. I don't hate it, but I don't find it the least bit entertaining.

The game is a young, unjaded computer programmer's wet dream.

Better?

Uh, no? I've never understood why people feel the need to attack people because they don't like the same computer game. Lots of people didn't like Dishonored (to pick a recent example) on another forum I frequent, but I never claimed they must be old and jaded because of it.

Minecraft might be a fun game for some people. It wasn't for me. Newsflash - people have different taste in games.

27. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 12:44 Bhruic

Ant wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:42:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:33:

As a computer programmer... No, it's not. Frankly, I've never seen the appeal of the game. I don't hate it, but I don't find it the least bit entertaining.
Which games do YOU find entertaining then?

Quite a few different ones. I had a lot of fun with Borderlands 2, Dishonored and X-Com recently. The new King's Bounty - Warriors of the North is a lot of fun, but it's also quite buggy. Might need to put it down and wait for a patch.

If you were looking in the Minecraft-ish genre, I really enjoyed Terraria, although it wasn't nearly as much fun single player as multiplayer (and it was quite fun single player, which is a good indication of how much fun it was multiplayer).

22. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 Bhruic

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched Oct 26, 2012, 14:50 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:42:
Yeah, Recoil is really one of the most worthless ones. Ooh, +0.4% on my recoil reduction! :|

Yeah, because getting that extra 4 damage on a 1000 damage weapon is just awesome.

Really, all of the bonuses are worthless individually, they don't really amount to anything until you really stack them up.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 10:32 Bhruic

This story is the perfect fucking example of the "Steve Jobs" mythos. The entire story is described as being about Steve Jobs, and how caring he is. And what was his entire contribution to the story? Trying to start the car, and then calling it a piece of shit when it wouldn't. Bravo Steve.

If you want to praise someone, praise his wife. She's the one who came out, gave the guy a beer, called someone to help fix it, invited him in to call AAA when they couldn't get it working. But is the guy talking about how wonder Steve Jobs's wife is? Nope.

Just like in most other areas of his life, other people do all the work, he takes all the credit.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2012, 09:32 Bhruic

Golwar wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 09:07:
"Also, don't blame Eurogamer for this. The threat of legal action brings unbelievable pressure. I am clear on who the bad guys are in this."

Please explain how "don't blame" is the same as "supports". There are plenty of things people do that I don't blame them for, but I certainly don't support them doing it. I suspect in this case Robert would have prefered that they stand up for the article rather than caving in, but he doesn't blame them for it considering the difficulties they would have faced.

News Comments > SimCity in March
20. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 16:27 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:27:
Those are two separate issues. Including multiplayer and mandating always online aren't the same thing.

Sure, and there's a difference between having optional multiplayer and designing the game around multiplayer. If nothing else, C&C 4 demonstrated that effectively forcing multiplayer through design choices tends to result in a poorer single player experience. Considering EA's track record, I don't expect anything better here (sadly, as I enjoyed the previous SimCities).

News Comments > Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced
23. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 16:16 Bhruic

Yakubs wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:19:
That's exactly my point. There is no good reason to choose stealth beyond extraneous things like the achievements, storyline or your "chaos score." It's just down to personal preference which means the incentives in the game are completely wrong.

You're confusing stealth with lethality. You can play stealthily and still kill everyone you run across.

As for the "incentive" to play non-lethally, why should the game do that? The advantage of a game like this is that it doesn't force any particular playstyle on you. If you enjoy being sneaky, and not killing anyone you can do that. If you enjoy being sneaky and killing everyone you can do that too. If you enjoy run-and-gun, you can do that. The game does a decent (but not perfect) job of making all such options viable.

If you want to do a good job with the choice of stealth vs. combat you have to make the player choose and the choice must have a consequence. In Dishonored, there is no GAMEPLAY consequence for choosing stealth. If you get discovered, you can still easily defend yourself. If you choose to play as Rambo, there is no gameplay consequence for deciding to temporarily stealth through a level. It's still easy. Basically, from almost the very beginning of the game, you are BOTH a stealth and combat god. You pick one based on a whim, not based on the challenges presented to you.

Well, unless you are playing on Easy, this is simply not true. It's very easy to get swarmed by guards and very easy to die - especially on the hardest difficulty level.

But what you seem to be saying is that you want the game to artificially force you to only be able to play in a specific fashion. The idea is to allow you to pick how you want to play rather than have the game pigeon hole you.

Revenge is only meaningful when you care about the character and you care about their motivation for the revenge. In this game, your character has no personality and has no voice so you only care about your own character because you're playing him. Again, no substance. The motives for your revenge are presented quickly and superficially. The NPCs are not fleshed out at all so why should I care about them either?

In general I don't prefer the "silent protagonist" approach myself, as it breaks my immersion (HL2 still bugs me for that reason). However, your complaint here strikes me as nitpicking. How much motivation are we ever presented with in games like this? How much motivation did we have in the various Hitman games? How much in the Thief series? How much in Bioshock? What motivates the player is the desire to play the game, so trying to contrive some excessive motivation for the character is relatively pointless.

And for the record, I was pretty bummed out when the Empress was killed, and I did care about rescuing Emily, so the motivation worked fine for me. Although the "twist" was pretty damn obvious, and I actually said outloud "gee, I wonder if there's poison in that cup?" when they handed it to me.

A great fantasy story is a story that could not happen in any other world/setting AND it leverages this unique setting to shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world. Dishonored fails at both of these metrics.

And now I know you are nitpicking. By all means, provide some examples of games that "shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world". Games are designed for entertainment. Expecting some social commentary from them really is excessively silly.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 14:38 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 13:35:
At this point, with brute force being less common, I think forcing people to constantly change passwords that include crazy characters is more detrimental than good. People end up less likely to vary, as it's hard to remember, so they keep the same password for everything. If someone gets it for one place they get it for every place.

What I find particularily annoying are the annoying requirements for "must have a number" and "must have a capital". A 15 character password with just lowercase letters is much harder to brute force than an 8 character password with capitals and numbers. Not to mention tending to be easier to remember, as you can use a short phrase, rather than a single word.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
30. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 14:34 Bhruic

Nucas wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:17:
the reaction from this extremely large population that i've personally seen thus far has been quite positive.

If you get to the point in an argument where you are trying to convince people that your anecdotal evidence is sufficient to prove your point, you've already lost.

Not to mention linking to "we suck MS's dick for money" central, ZDNet.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend Oct 25, 2012, 03:26 Bhruic

InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 03:14:
L4D2 was never on sale for 5$ WTF????

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you aren't - hell yes it has been. That's what I bought it for. It almost certainly will be this weekend too, if they do their typical 75% off.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend
3. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend Oct 25, 2012, 02:48 Bhruic

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:55:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:22:
I think I got this for around $3 from the Steam summer sale group deal but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
There's no way you got it for that price.

Oh, you said group deal? that means you would've had to pay, what, like $90 for a bunch of stuff first? ya, okay. lol. not much of a deal, is it, when you need to buy a bunch of other stuff first. lool

Uh, wtf are you smoking? It's been on sale for $5 multiple times. It being on sale for $3 for a 4-pack is hardly unrealistic. Where the hell did you get $90 from?

News Comments > Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games
3. Re: Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games Oct 24, 2012, 21:51 Bhruic

So the only reason this is "newsworthy" is because they are accomplishing it without screwing anyone over? Shouldn't the reverse be true?

And what's with the "we're turning out the lights" conclusion there? Isn't this effectively just a name change?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
57. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 24, 2012, 02:27 Bhruic

draginol wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 01:06:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 00:57:
Still, in general, Ironclad is more responsible for the Sins series than Stardock is. Publishers should only be getting the credit (and blame) if they own the studio that developed it, otherwise they should be going to the developer.

I agree. In our forums, I try to emphasize that Sins of a Solar Empire is an Ironclad game. Published by Stardock. The expansion packs were co-developed by the Stardock team.

The project, as a whole, is very unusual. Starodck was pretty heavily involved in the game's design and Ironclad was heavily involved in the marketing. It's often hard to say where Stardock stopped and Ironclad began and vice versa.

They're amazing guys over there.

I agree - and I wasn't trying to take away anything from what Stardock contributed to the project.

As for the game, I'm hoping TotalBiscuit does a WTF is video for it, as they generally give me a good idea if a game is something I'm interested in.

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 24, 2012, 00:57 Bhruic

bortin wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 00:45:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 00:35:
Wish people would stop giving Stardock the credit there and realize that Ironclad makes the Sins games. Stardock is certainly involved - as publisher if nothing else - but Ironclad codes the games.

I think Brad W. mentioned this mentioned earlier, but here's the link that you'd find interesting: Who developed SoaSE: Rebellion

Interesting, I was unaware that Stardock was contributing to the development. It's interesting they didn't post how many people from Ironclad worked on it, and didn't expand on what "a greater role" really meant.

Still, in general, Ironclad is more responsible for the Sins series than Stardock is. Publishers should only be getting the credit (and blame) if they own the studio that developed it, otherwise they should be going to the developer.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 24, 2012, 00:35 Bhruic

Bucky wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 23:47:
Sins: Rebellion restored some faith, and seeing Brad and Co. owning up to their mistakes is certainly heartening.

Wish people would stop giving Stardock the credit there and realize that Ironclad makes the Sins games. Stardock is certainly involved - as publisher if nothing else - but Ironclad codes the games.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:10 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:29:
I wonder if people who won't buy from Stardock because Wardell forgoes gentlemanly class in emailing female workers see the irony that they own an iphone made in a plant in China with such terrible work conditions and practices that they had to put up suicide nets to cut down on the 7 a week they were getting. Yep, that Jobs was such a visionary!

I'm not going to comment on the lawsuit, as the courts will determine that, but assuming everyone who won't buy from Stardock because of the incident must own an iPhone is idiotic.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2012, 18:19 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 13:49:
One of the things people most cite that they like best about iOS devices is the store.
The world is full of idiots that can't find software any other way. Millions. Literally millions. This is part of the attraction to iOS.

You're making the unsupported leap from "people like having a one-stop shopping system" to "people want Microsoft to run a store". No one wants Microsoft to run a store. Some people want to have a single point they can go to get all their software. Microsoft is trying to take advantage of that fact.

Anyone who knows anything about Microsoft, however, quickly realized that letting Microsoft be the "single point" is a horrible idea.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 23, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 14:55:
Yeah, I know. Where was that in their study? Oh, nowhere. They only student "TEH VIIOLENT VIDEOGAMES!!1!11!"

Did you even look at the article? They did a comparison between 50 and 150 minutes of playing time. Those that played for the longer period had less quality sleep. No one is saying "violent video games are terrible", they are making an observation based on the evidence they're gathering.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo