Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
201. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2012, 19:28 Bhruic

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 18:13:
4. This ties into the first response really, where it's ok to attack Christianity as this big evil thing that's so pushed onto you poor liberals supposedly.

It has nothing to do with Christianity. It's a simple matter - should your employer be in charge of determining what health care you get? If your employer said they don't believe in transplants, should they be able to avoid funding yours? If they don't believe in drug companies, should the be able to force you to have to pay for your own?

It really is that simple, employers shouldn't have any say over what your insurance covers. And that includes objections on a religious basis.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

180. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:07 Bhruic

PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 13:38:
Wish you guys were sensible enough to realize this whole "us vs them" shit propagated by hardline party politics isn't helping anyone. People are always drawing and defending borders between each other; it must be a relic of caveman culture.

Not really caveman, but yeah, humans are Tribal. If you're part of our tribe, we'll fight to protect you. If you aren't, we'll just fight you.

Sure, it's a crappy way of dealing with society today, but trying to overcome biology is really hard. Hopefully we'll get there some day.

160. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 12:19 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:12:
I find it pointless that every discussion devolves into semantics, but this has to be addressed. THE DEMOCRATS HAD CONTROL OF CONGRESS THROUGH SIMPLE MAJORITY. They simply lacked the precious 2/3rd's majority. If everyone on the majority side is of a like mind than there is nothing the minority party can do to stop legislation from passing, only delay it via filibuster.

Sure, you can call it "had control of" as long as you agree that "had control of" doesn't equate with "could pass whatever legislation they wanted". Despite your claim that filibuster "only delays" legislation, we both know that's not true. If you don't have the 60 votes to invoke cloture, and the other side is filibustering, that bill is dead. And by all means, look at how many times filibuster was used the last 4 years compared to the all the previous years.

159. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 12:14 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 11:47:
Beamer's utter idiocy aside, I have to say that I don't believe the electoral college is bullshit, Creston. Yeah, the way things work now basically Ohio and Florida decide every election, but that's more a factor of deep-seated demographic differences. Without it, votes of those in smaller states would count for even less than they do now. There are counties in California and Burroughs in New York that have populations that dwarf entire states. The popular vote of these counties alone could render entire states voiceless, and ultimately wholly unrepresented on the Federal level. The difference between California's 54 college votes and RI's 4 is tiny compared to the differences in the populations. It's all about trying to ensure each state has a voice in every election, and it has worked well for its existence.

Not actually true, as that's why the Senate has a flat 2 people per state, while the House is population based. Those tiny states would have less say in who becomes President (not that they have much say now, but they'd still get less), but they'd retain their influence in the Senate, which would definitely give them a voice and representation on the Federal level.

135. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:16 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 09:21:
Yeah I agree with that. What bothered me most about his first term is what he *didn't* get passed - no federal budget in 4 years ( 2 of them while Democrats contolled the Congress and virtually any budget he wanted would have passed with ease)

Funny how much of the thread was dedicated to yelling at Rollin because of his (incorrect) "Democrats controlled Congress for 2 years" comment, but despite that, here comes Prez, back to claiming that Democrats controlled congress for 2 years...

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
9. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 21:46 Bhruic

edaciousx wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:32:
laziness has nothing to do with it, money does. They don't think anyone on the PC will buy that game.

Your first statement is true, your second is not. They don't want people to be able to buy it on the PC. They want it to be an XBox exclusive, but such exclusives sell consoles. And they want more people to buy consoles.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
1. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 21:16 Bhruic

"But never doubt our commitment to the PC platform for gaming! Guys? Guys???"  

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
13. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 19:42 Bhruic

This is nice and all, but the important point isn't having Steam, it's having Steam have available Linux games. TF2 isn't exactly going to cut it by itself.

With that said, this is still a good first step, and kudos to Valve for doing it.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 11:52 Bhruic

Ratty wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:41:
Um, I said so far off from what MOST everyone else is saying. According to the MSM the two have been virtually tied for most of the campaign.

Ok, but that's just making it more confusing. You're praising one site, and then claiming another one is so far off, when both of them are giving roughly the exact same predictions.

As for the MSM, three issues. First off, they make money on "hits", either online, read, viewed, whatever. So they have a vested monetary interest in making the race look close, because that helps increase their "hits". Second, the MSM has been mainly focused on the popular vote, rather than on the electoral math. While the popular vote has been somewhat close, Obama has always been leading on the electoral math. And thirdly, Nate Silver's prediction have been percentage based. Just like in sports, just because one team is a favorite to win doesn't mean there's no chance the other team could win, they just have less of a chance. Romney still have a chance to - and could - win this.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 11:33 Bhruic

Ratty wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:08:
Yeah, that's a good site. I remember it from last time around. I took a screenshot so I can see how it did tomorrow morning. 538 is so far off from what most everyone else is saying and Nate Silver has become so famous/infamous (depending) this time around I'm really really looking forward to seeing how close he is this time.

Uh, the site you claimed as a "good site"'s predictions:
Obama: 303
Romney: 220
Tied: 15

Nate Silver's 538:
Obama 313
Romney: 225

So other than the fact that 538 divides the "ties" up in a 2:1 fashion, how exactly is it "so far off"?

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942
21. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:39 Bhruic

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:05:
I hate to tell people to learn to read on the Internet, it's so passe. Why do you make me do it...

My first post also referred to "the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background".

So learn to read.

Sure, and your first post also says that you don't want to run it because you were "conserving system resources".

So reading just fine, thanks.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 13:37 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:22:
That is a bullshit lie, there are no torrents for the pc out.

Of course there are. There just aren't real torrents out. Fakes always precede a big release.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 15:18 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 14:10:
But who is the money coming from?

Regardless, this acts like it's something new. It's always been ads driving game journalism. Always. This isn't from pageclicks, 10 years ago it was just paper ads.

Ads, of course. But as you say, that's the case with most forms of journalism. The author was trying to imply that the game companies themselves were directly financing the reviewers' sites, which obviously isn't true.

Moreover, the author is actually missing the point. The complaint wasn't about sites, it was about individuals. I'm pretty sure that in "mainstream" journalism if someone were a food critic, say, having them accepting gifts of food from eateries would be considered inducing bias as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:17 Bhruic

If you're a website whose revenue is entirely based on pageviews and clicks

How they can go from that to saying that readers aren't paying the bills, I don't know. Do they think those pageviews and clicks are coming from the companies?

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 10:01 Bhruic

Golwar wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 07:47:
I don't get why people always must hate someone. Last time pretty much everyone here hated Eurogamer, considering them to have betrayed Rab. This time Lauren is the target.

It's not them we hate, if hate is even the right word, it's their actions. EG caved. Rather than standing up for Rab and the article, they gave in. They might have had good reason to do so. Certainly, it sounds like that the legal advice they were given. But said legal advice was probably "it's going to cost you a lot of money to fight this". So they compromised principle for money.

Lauren used legal threats to remove parts of an article that she didn't like. Not because there was any real legal foul going on, but simply because she didn't like the way it mader her look. Again, she may have got legal advice that she could do it, but it was probably "you'd have a very dicey time of it in court, but they'll likely back down because it's not worth the cost for them". But it was her actions that caused the problem, it wasn't whoever gave her the advice.

I'm not sure that the "everyone screws up so we should overlook these screw ups" really works here.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 09:03 Bhruic

Rigs wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 07:13:
Why can beloved sports stars get millions for promoting and marketing but gamers can't?

Gamers can. Game reviewers can, but shouldn't. They are supposed to be impartial. When they demonstrate a clear bias, it impacts their ability (or their perceived ability) to review a game fairly. Yes, you can say "just don't have them review that game", but that makes the assumption (a poor one at that) that their editors are on top of that sort of bias, which is rarely the case.

News Comments > Disney Acquires LucasArts
31. Re: Disney Acquires LucasArts Oct 31, 2012, 20:16 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 15:13:
And I'm surprised seeing the comments everywhere how many people are hoping to see a trilogy done based on the Zahn's Thrawn books.

The Thrawn books are great, and if the actors were all 20+ years younger, I'd love to see them. But the only way they could do them now is to use different actors, which just wouldn't work.

Frankly, I'd rather see something from a different time setting than a continuation of the current storyline.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 20:11 Bhruic

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 19:33:
Is it just the Canadian version which has terrible selection or is this what I can expect as the 'norm'?

Pretty much just the Canadian version. I had the same experience. There's lots of stuff that I could search for and would show up, but then wasn't visible in Canada.

There's some proxies you can use to fake being in the US that'll give you a larger selection, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the one month trial.

104. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 18:36 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 17:09:
Wow, I'm amazed he sold it for that relatively little money. The Star Wars brand alone has to be worth more than 4 billion dollars? They get all the other lucasfilm stuff too.

I'm assuming they sold out for 100 billion, but then Lucas had to pay them 96 billion to take episodes 1-3 as part of the package.

News Comments > Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content
31. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 13:26 Bhruic

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:11:
There's a world of difference between not liking something and not being able to see the appeal of something, chum. If you can't "see the appeal" of Minecraft you're fuckin blind, plain and simple.

Well, I'm neither blind or "simple", but I don't see the appeal of it. That doesn't mean I think people can't enjoy it, but that's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal of the opera, but plenty of people go to see it.

Again, feeling the need to belittle people because they have different standards than you do is pretty low.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo