Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2012, 04:34 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 03:52:
KS is - in spirit at any rate - there to help crowdsource projects that people could not otherwise afford on their own. Not for multi-millionaires to ask for money so they can experiment without any risk.

No it's not. KS is there to allow people to fund projects that they'd like to see made. The idea they have to have "categories" makes no sense. How much money Peter does or does not have really doesn't have much of an impact on whether or not you want to fund Godus. If you want him to make the game (and believe it'll turn out how he describes), fund it. If not, don't. That's really all there is to it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 12:02 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:20:
Since it's got a link here, how on earth did so many people like the Dark Knight Rises? It was probably the most boring movie I watched in the last five years or so.

I somewhat universally heard the movie described as a great ending for the trilogy, but a mediocre movie in general. I'm not even sure I'd agree with the former, but certainly with the latter. Too many gaping plot holes (you only listed a few, there are many more as I'm sure you're aware) to like the story.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 15:05 Bhruic

I played through the EE and actually finished it, unlike my previous playthroughs (I tend to re-roll characters a lot, so I see the first part a lot, the last less often). Definitely didn't have any issues with the game graphically. A few bugs, but hard to say if they were already there, or caused by the modifications.

It inspired me enough to import the character into BG2 and play through that as well. And that definitely made it clear where some of the improvements in BG:EE were, playing at high res (with a mod to do so) in BG2 makes the UI really poor.

For me, the nostalgia matched the reality.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 06:21 Bhruic

briktal wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:27:
D3 isn't "balanced around the AH", it just plain has too many bad items and too few good items. It's just plain bad itemization. If the game were balanced around the AH, you'd get good items, but they'd be for other classes, encouraging you to sell them and buy the good items for your class other people found. Instead you just find crap.

That's actually what makes it balanced around the AH. If there were plenty of good items, just not for your class, the items actually on the AH would be selling for next to nothing because they'd be so common. In order to sell well, they need to be somewhat scarce. If you've got a million people playing, that makes drops - well, not a million times more likely, since people will be at different levels, etc but - substantially higher than for any individual game.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
21. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 02:11 Bhruic

I like the game aspects, but the crafting is damn annoying. I suppose it was their way to force players to interact with the animals, but I'd much rather just be able to buy upgrades rather than have to craft them. Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the game at all.

With that said, the rest of the game is quite good, although I haven't got very far in. Not sure I buy the main character, but I'm willing to give it a little leeway.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Dec 1, 2012, 17:54 Bhruic

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:16:
It says 34 days left... Are they doing two-month Kickstarters now?

Launched: Nov 5, 2012
Funding ends: Jan 4, 2013

Guess so.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Dec 1, 2012, 11:41 Bhruic

stingray wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 03:28:
I wish we could take all the skepticism of all the people in this world and turn it into energy.

Skepticism is what stops people from sending money to people in Nigeria who claim that they've got millions of dollars to give you if you'll just help them get it out of the country. Skepticism is what stops people from buying that bridge the guy is selling. In other words, skepticism is entirely healthy. If this guy can't convince people that his project is legit and has a good chance to be finished (and be good), that's his problem, not the skeptics.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

WaltC wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:28:
This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen.

I really can't believe the amount of complaints over the modified intro. Granted it's not great, and granted the original could have been kept, it's such a minor part of the game that it really has no relevance. The actual gameplay is what's important, and so far that's been fine. I had long ago lost my copies, so haven't seen what the fans have done to update the graphics and such, but it's running perfectly well on my system. So for that alone it seems worth it.

News Comments > Dragon Age 3 in 2014?
35. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 18:07 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:42:
They're using Frostbite 2, it was announced at the same time they showed some incredibly vague concept art. I'm not sure that's good for anything other than visuals though. Frostbite 2 is very unfriendly to modding and there are practically no community unpackers for its file formats. I suspect this is a centralize dev time and save money by allowing multiple studios to interact on the game thing.

Well, the Frostbite 2 engine is pretty damn good for FPS, dunno how good it'll be for something like DA. I guess the C&C game will come out before DA3, which should give some idea on how well it'll function.

Still, the engine was never really the problem with DA2, so while I'm not disappointed they are switching, I'm not going to assume it'll make anything better. Since I'm going back and replaying the BG series (I caved and picked it up), it's hard to imagine we'll see anything that good at this point. I'll settle for as good as DA1 - but even that's not terribly likely.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 14:00 Bhruic

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:52:
Haven't they stated DA3 will use BF3's engine, big open world.

I don't recall hearing that. The next Mass Effect game has been announced to use the BF3 engine tho'.

15. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 13:36 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:04:
Except of course, Bioware doesn't believe that. They firmly hold to the story that Dragon Age 2 sold extremely well and that they were very happy with its sales.

Doesn't believe it and doesn't say so publicly are two different things. They've got access to the real numbers, I'm sure they indicate that DA2 didn't improve sales vs DA1, and they are aware of at least some of the reasons why. If nothing else, the increased development time should ensure we don't get the massive repeating levels from DA2. Hopefully they'll improve the other game mechanics - enemy spawns being the major one that needs improving.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 02:29:
I am not talking about "does it work" because I know you can charge devices this way.. I am talking about that this is the absolutely most inefficient way to produce electricity there is. There is no worse way to generate electricity than this. ;P

And who cares? You're acting like the energy isn't going to be generated anyway - but it is. Right now it's just being used for, well, nothing. So finding a way to use it for something productive is a step up regardless of how inefficient it is.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 22:23:
"People often believe that they own the images that are tattooed on them by tattoo artists," explained Escobedo's lawyer, Maria Crimi Speth (in a comment on PRWeb).

"In reality, the owner of the tattoo artwork is the creator of the work, unless there is a written assignment of the copyright in the tattoo art."

How the fuck does that work unless you walk in and say 'I dunno what I want just tattoo any old thing on me!' Now I may not have had the talent to draw my pieces but they were conceived of by me and the artists drew them out as I related what I wanted in painstaking detail and several revisions. They're just somebody I commissioned to provide me a service. It sure as shit isn't their property.

That's exactly what the quote you pasted says. "The owner of the tattoo artwork is the creator of the work". I would assume that the lawyer is claiming that most people don't create their own tattoos, or, at least in this case it was the artist that created it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 08:19 Bhruic

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 19:22:
Star Wars: The Old Republic game client "on sale" for $5.99 @ amazon - 80% claimed.

MAN. They're going to be some seriously disappointed people this xmas.

Not really, the game client comes with a 30 day subscription, so you're effectively paying $5.99 for one month's sub, which is cheaper than it costs now.

It's still a little disingenuous on Amazon's part, but you're still getting some value for your money (if not as much as they suggest).

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Nov 25, 2012, 08:16 Bhruic

Equating advertising with naming planets is just odd. The reason people don't like ads in games is because the ads are trying to sell us something. When playing games for entertainment, we don't want to be sold at - we get enough of that everywhere else. Having a planet named after someone isn't trying to sell us anything.

Really, the idea that it "compromises" the game design in any sense is something I don't understand. How is the look of an NPC or the name of a planet anything to do with the actual design of the game? It's nothing but an aesthetics choice.

As for getting better weapons/outfits, yes, I dislike taking that approach. There's nothing wrong with giving people cosmetic bonuses, but when they start getting practical ones, that can be annoying - especially in games with multiplayer. It's not a trend that I'd like to see continue.

What will be interesting is if corporations start taking advantage of some of these offers. For example, if you get the option to name a planet in Elite, why couldn't we end up with planet Intel, thanks to a $5,000 pledge? That'd be the point where I'd start to have a problem, as it would be blurring the line with advertisement.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter
48. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 14:35 Bhruic

Yeah, that'd actually be a good idea, imo, and would go a long way towards demonstrating that you took the project seriously. I have no idea how much money Molyneux has, but it's certainly something that he should consider. At the very least, he could have a condition that he'll kick in X dollars if they reach the goal.  

46. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 13:29 Bhruic

wtf_man wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:05:
But that's why some are saying he should fund it himself. Then he wouldn't be accountable to anyone else.

It's a criteria that hasn't been applied to previous Kickstarter projects - even with people/companies that could afford to self-fund.

As for being accountable to the "crowd"... there isn't much accountability there... projects on Kickstarter have gotten funded and died. The Backers are SOL.

I didn't say he would be accountable to the "crowd", I said he wouldn't be accountable to anyone else. The whole point is to not have someone in a publisher-like capacity dictating what does or doesn't go in the game, or what the release schedule has to be, etc.

In most people's eyes, Crowdfunding isn't just to avoid a publisher, it's also a chance for an indie team to make a project that can't afford to, otherwise. Molyneux can afford it (At least, the kickstarter goal amount that has been set). It sort of looks like Bill Gates collecting Food Stamps.. ya know? (Not that radical, but you get what I mean)

You say "in most people's eyes", and yet what you're describing is the position that was advanced previously, and was argued against by the majority of people on this site. I'm not saying you personally argued against it, most likely you didn't. But at least some of the people in this thread did, and I'm confused as to why they aren't taking the same position here.

44. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 12:33 Bhruic

wtf_man wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 12:30:
I think he's saying that Molneux can get funding without Kickstarter. (Not necessarily through a Publisher and not necessarily out of his own pocket, either.)

And again, the whole point of Kickstarter is to get your funding directly from the people who want the game so that you aren't accountable to anyone else. I have no problem with people not wanting to fund this, there are decent reasons not to. But this exact argument was brought up with previous Kickstart projects, and was shouted down. I'm just curious as to why it's getting so much traction with this one, and the only reason I can see is because of the dislike most people around here seem to have for Molyneux.

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 11:42 Bhruic

Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 02:17:
I'm not giving any money to this guy for an unreleased game. He's been playing the publisher system long enough to know how to source funds.

I thought the whole point of KS was to enable people to fund a game without having to resort to using publishers? At least, that was the argument everyone used whenever the above was brought up previously. All the sudden the rules changed just because it's someone people here don't seem to like?

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
67. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 20, 2012, 10:10 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 15:38:
I know for a fact that he is not some gold digging person who is looking for a quick buck to try and rip off people. He nearly created the Space Sims genre and this game is a lifelong dream for him and he will deliver. Itís easy to knock someone when you have little insight into their lives, but CR will make this game and deliver it as promised.

I don't think anyone considers CR to be gold digging. But knowing him or not, there's no way you can say he "will" deliver. Well, unless you've got a time machine. I'm sure he'll try to deliver. But what he's promised is extremely ambitious. No matter if it's a "lifelong dream" or not, there's no way to be sure the project will ship in the state he's claimed it will.

Personally, I hope it does. I'd love to see a new game in the genre. But for me, until it's finished and some (real) reviews come out, I'm going to be taking a "wait and see" approach.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo