Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

News Comments > Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up
11. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 13:33 Bhruic

Man, I didn't know we had senior citizens on this site. Cool!

Hey, I'm not that old! The c64 version (which is what I played) didn't come out until 1983. And I was still pretty young while I was playing it.

It's funny, talking about it made me look it up, and one of the guides talks about how rolling a single character (with good stats) can take well over an hour to do. Guess my memory of play time vs rolling time was pretty accurate!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CD Projekt Versus File-Sharers?
41. Re: CD Projekt Versus File-Sharers? Dec 15, 2011, 13:31 Bhruic

That is ridiculous. That is like saying the people who have alcoholism and manage to quit drinking shouldn't try to encourage other alcoholics to quit drinking.

No, it's like someone who was an alcoholic but quit drinking calling alcoholics assholes.

You're not surrendering moral high ground by admitting it, in fact I'm a lot more open to considering arguments from someone who is self aware enough to understand how reality and theoretical arguments differ.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of "moral highground". There's nothing wrong with being a reformed pirate (I am one myself), but you lose the ability to make certain types of references by admitting such. You're not in a position to chastise others for their behaviour when you are guilty of the same behaviour in the past.

News Comments > Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up
9. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 13:08 Bhruic

There is only one other game that was before Wizardry that started this view perspective, but I forgot the name (Had a small blue castle with a light gray background, Apple ][)

I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but Oubliette was one of, if not the first. 1977, and Wizardry cited it as one of its inspirations. It was a fun game to play, if a bit frustrating, I think I spent more time rolling characters than I did actually playing.

News Comments > On MW3 Bans
6. Re: On MW3 Bans Dec 15, 2011, 11:28 Bhruic

Either way this is still a step in the right direction

Weird, BF3 announced "thousands" of bans, and everyone laughs, MW3 bans 1600, and it's a step in the right direction?

News Comments > CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up
5. Re: CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:12 Bhruic

However, is the IP address, by itself, enough to get a warrant to search the hard drives for physical proof of stealing? In my mind, yes. In others, no. It is the very core of the debate.

It's not really the core of the debate, although it should be. The problem is that they are sending out the letters without doing the hard drive searches.

News Comments > TeamSpeak and Overwolf
2. Re: TeamSpeak and Overwolf Dec 15, 2011, 10:22 Bhruic

The way I read it, is Overwolf added TS support to the Facebook/Twitter support it already had. TS still doesn't have any Facebook icons, afaik.  

34. Re: CD Projekt Versus File-Sharers? Dec 15, 2011, 09:36 Bhruic

That's a deliberate obfuscation of the reality. An IP address can be identified by the ISP that issued it, while the local IP address can ascertain which computer / device on the network accessed it.

And that's spouted nonsense. The ISP has a record of who is paying for a connection, period. They don't know who's actually using the connection, they don't know what computers are behind the connection, they don't know if the connection is shared, or whether there's an open wireless connection. So if they get contacted about an ip address, they can't give them any of that information. All the company gets is the name of the person who "owns" the connection. And is not sufficient to demonstrate who actually downloaded the game from that ip. And anyone with a basic understanding of how the internet works should know that.

You're trying to introduce doubt in an attempt to let those infringing copyright off the hook.

Yes, because CD Projekt is going to stop doing it just because I posted! I just have that much influence over them.

How about people just buy the fucking game or pass on it, like the rest of us do.

See, when you've already admitted that you "used to" pirate games, it is much, MUCH too late for you to be taking the moral highground.

News Comments > C&C Tiberium Alliances Announced
26. Re: C&C Tiberium Alliances Announced Dec 15, 2011, 09:20 Bhruic

I mean, EA just announced a real, brand new, graphically high-end, PC-exclusive RTS using Frostbite 2 less than a week ago.

People hated it.

Now they announce a Facebook-based free-to-play RTS.

People hate it.

Funny, I've read the C&C Generals 2 thread, and I don't see any large amount of hate for it. Sure, there are probably one or two, but there are one or two people that hate everything. You just tend to gloss over them after awhile.

30. Re: CD Projekt Versus File-Sharers? Dec 15, 2011, 08:58 Bhruic

I dont think that anyone is saying that what CD Projekt is doing is wrong, its simply stupid.

There are people saying it's wrong, and for a very good reason. An ip address is not a form of identification. Unless you have a (relatively) foolproof way of identifying exactly who downloaded the game, sending out emails, especially threatening "settlement" emails, is wrong.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 14, 2011, 06:30 Bhruic

If you check out the screen, you'll note that they are watching a SC2 replay, not actually playing SC2 themselves.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers
12. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 06:27 Bhruic

The funny thing is that every time I buy AMD/ATi I think this same thing. The funnier thing is that every time I buy nVidia I think the same thing, but about nVidia, instead. In the end I've realized that it isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, but rather specific cards which are just more stable and "better" than others.

Well, that, plus the fact that you really only tend to pay attention to (or perhaps pay more attention to) the problems that affect you. So it always "seems" like your card has more trouble than the other guy's, but that's because you gloss over the stories of trouble with the other cards because they don't apply to you.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2011, 23:37 Bhruic

Honestly, the "Busted" thing seems stupid. What company doesn't have a few bad apples in the bunch? The fact they could find a couple of people doing torrents doesn't make them hypocrites, unless the people doing torrents were the same people who were campaigning against them. Much more likely is that it was Doug, the assistant cameraman hooking into their network on the sly.

Doesn't make me like the corportations or their positions any more, but this kinda of "a-ha!" reporting is childish, at best.

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
38. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 13, 2011, 09:13 Bhruic

As someone that thinks that Morrowind was ultimately quite boring, and that Oblivion was even worse how would you critically assess Skyrim as either an FPS or an RPG?

Well, as Skyrim was designed as, roughly, more of the same, someone who didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion isn't going to like this game. Of course, that's like asking if someone who didn't like CoD1 and CoD2 is going to like CoD3.

I prefer the style of Gothic 2 or Risen: An action/adventure with RPG lite elements that work, keep you on edge, have and interesting story and is *challenging*. I've never found that in a Bethseda game, only drudgery. I suppose with all of the gushing here I won't get an honest answer, or from anyone that is a Beth fan, but Crestons comment really suprised me.

Why did is surprise you? I mean, I could go into an explanation of how the magic in Skyrim has been decreased in effectiveness, and how there should be some sort of damage scaling in place, but you haven't even played Skyrim (or so you're suggesting), so I'm not sure what that would accomplish. What basis do you have for being surprised about anything Creston would say about Skyrim?

32. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 12, 2011, 18:12 Bhruic

And some of the "you can't refuse" quests, you do have to go out of your way to talk to the guy. Like the kid who starts you on the Dark Brotherhood path. He's inside a locked house, with people outside specifically saying what he's doing, so if you go in and still talk to him, you kind of have it coming.

You're missing the point. You get that quest just by overhearing conversation, and/or talking to random people who are nowhere near him. If you actually want to do the quest, sure, you have to go in and talk to him, but even if you don't talk to him, even if you don't want to do the quest, there is no way to remove it from your quest log.

News Comments > Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY
27. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 07:24 Bhruic

That people are here taking the "Spike TV" VGAs seriously is pretty sad in its own right, regardless of who "won".  

23. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 12, 2011, 07:22 Bhruic

I haven't encountered any side-quest thus far where I can't refuse.

There are quite a few you can't refuse, from the point of view of having the refusal remove the quest from your quest log. While it's possible to "fail" some quests to remove them from the list, there are more that you don't even have that option with. Fairly annoying if you're a completist role-player.

News Comments > BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013
32. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 22:56 Bhruic

Secondly, this is a PC-exclusive so consoles are not a factor.

I know a website or two have claimed this, but do you have an official link to that? Because none of the information I've read so far has actually stated (officially) that it's a PC-exclusive.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
106. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 11, 2011, 00:17 Bhruic

Yup, modded the exe with LAA, and now I'm back to very rare crashes. *sigh* I guess it's nice they'll be including it in an official patch, but I'd hate to have been playing all this time without finding out about it unofficially.  

104. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 10, 2011, 22:17 Bhruic

Are you using LAA, or not using LAA with 1.3?

Right now I'm not, figured I'd wait for the "official" LAA patch this week. But with the number of crashes I've been getting, think I won't bother waiting. The weird thing is there seems to be nothing going on to cause these crashes, I'll just been walking around, and suddenly I'm back at the desktop.

96. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 9, 2011, 13:42 Bhruic

As an aside, to talk about the actual patch for a second... I've been getting noticably more crashes with this one than the previous version. I used to be able to play for 2-6 hours before I'd get a crash, now I'm getting 1 every hour (or more). Definitely making me hit the quicksave button more often, but it's also quite frustrating. Plus I'm getting some video corruption (bad texture skinning, etc) that I never had previously either. Could be LAA related, I suppose, as that would be the only other change, but can't be positive.  

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 54.
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo