Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 16:40 Bhruic

They release a new version for each major feature roadmap they hit

So was the "major feature" they just hit two finger swiping, or support for font-stretch?

The reason we have versioning numbers is to give people an idea of what's been changed. 3.0.9, for example (assuming previous version was 3.0.8) would let people know that it's a minor bug fix. 3.1.8 would let people know it's a major bug fix. 4.0.0 would let people know they've done a large overhaul on the program. By making almost every minor change to Firefox lead to a new version, they've basically thrown out that system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up
49. Re: The Humble Indie Bundle #4 Dec 19, 2011, 16:52 Bhruic

I'm arguing that the law needs to be changed to reflect the change in technology

Argue that all you want. But the laws haven't been changed, which means that you are, at present, using the word incorrectly. Should the law actually be changed, then by all means, use the word "stealing". Until then, you remain wrong.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
44. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:33 Bhruic

It's 33% off... so, more expensive than yesterday. The earlier price was a mistake.

Ah, I thought it was too good to be true. Wonder if they honoured orders at the lower price?

47. Re: The Humble Indie Bundle #4 Dec 19, 2011, 16:32 Bhruic

But you are stealing. I'm talking about morally here, not legally.

And that is why no one gives a fuck what you think. There is no such thing as a moral definition of stealing. You're simply using the word "stealing" because it has stronger overtones than copyright infringement does. Admit that and move on.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
41. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:26 Bhruic

Wow, Dead Island at 50% off was a good bargin, but 83% off? No excuse not to get it at that price.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 19, 2011, 11:22 Bhruic

I see we are using the very loose definition of "new game".  

45. Re: The Humble Indie Bundle #4 Dec 19, 2011, 10:59 Bhruic

I'm comfortable calling that stealing.

You can be "comfortable" calling it whatever you want, but you're still mislabeling it. Now I don't really care about the labels personally, but at the same time, words have definitions for a reason, and you're using the wrong one.

Oh, and it's worth pointing out - copyright infringement is a civil matter, stealing is a criminal one. The reason that people get sued is because they can't be charged with a crime. If downloading and playing a game actually was stealing, people would be seeing jail time for doing it. And they aren't.

News Comments > Op Ed
74. Re: Op Ed Dec 19, 2011, 10:55 Bhruic

It's interesting that some people here absolutely revile corporations for trying to get richer when it is something that offends them personally but it's ok when it offends anyone else.

I know, right? How dare people actually get upset about the things they actually care about. For shame!

By and large, though, this is a board unwilling to make any sacrifice and unwilling to admit anything it does is wrong. "I don't steal games, I copyright infringe, and it doesn't harm anyone."

Really? You're saying that the majority of people here not only pirate software, but claim that it's not wrong to do so? Maybe you should look beyond the few people who make that argument to the larger community.

"I don't demean women or other minorities, I make jokes. They're funny and no one should be offended."

Sure, and by all means point out where anyone has claimed they only "make jokes" and that people shouldn't be offended. Take as long as you want to look.

43. Re: The Humble Indie Bundle #4 Dec 19, 2011, 09:35 Bhruic

Can someone explain to me the diffence between stealing and copyright infringement then?

Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you without permission.

Copyright infringement is making use of someone else's copyright work without permission.

People focus on the software side of copyright a lot, but it's not the only area of concern. For example, Disney has a copyright on Mickey Mouse. If you draw a cartoon and put Mickey Mouse in it, you are performing copyright infringement. Now, I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that if you drew a cartoon with Mickey Mouse in it, that you have stolen anything from Disney. The paper is yours, the pen is yours. You just don't have a legal right to use the image.

Same thing with gaming. You aren't stealing anything, unless you are going to a store and walking out with a DVD. You are, however, making use of the company's copyright without permission.

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Dec 19, 2011, 07:15 Bhruic

Way too much bullshit to worry about, so I'll just pick a few good examples...

The "patriarchy" is another strawman. There is no patriarchy to speak of in western countries. Men die 5 years earlier than women on average, most are homeless, most war casualties are men, most work deaths are men too. There is no fantasy "patriarchy". And throughout history women were a protected and provided for class by men who were tasked to provide at all cost and even sacrifice their lives if necessary.

What's the percentage of men vs women in top government positions? What's the percentage of men vs women in top executive positions? In both cases, men outnumber the women by a significant margin. To have the majority of positions of power occupied by men, and then claim there's no "patriarchy" is incredibly foolish. Historically, of course, it was much worse, as evidenced by the fact that property passed to male offspring first via inheritance, as did ruling lines, and suchforth. So we've got better on that front, certainly, but we're far from equality.

There's various health departments for women, coalition for women and girls. Where are the male equivalents? Why is there no national coalition for men and boys? And still you believe in the fantasy that men are privileged lmao.

This is funny. It reminds me of kids asking "Why do we have Father's Day and Mother's Day, but no 'Kids' Day?". The reason we have various coalitions and agencies that deal specifically with women is because the "general" equivalent agencies tended to focus on men. If the agencies had been gender neutral, there'd be no need for anything women specific. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

While ignoring the other side of the equation such as how many male game characters are overtly handsome, muscular, strong

The reason that male characters are such is because that's the way men want to be perceived. They don't design their male characters for women, they design them for men. Which only makes sense, because again, men are their target audience (in most cases).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2011, 17:19 Bhruic

Dead Island at 50% on Steam is worth getting for anyone who hasn't. Quite an enjoyable game.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2011, 15:06 Bhruic

Hmm, that "programmers work at night" link was pretty interesting, as that's almost exactly what I do. Nice to finally see a good explanation for it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Dec 18, 2011, 14:38 Bhruic

Oh Goodness me no. No no no. No, that's always happened and always will, with any group of teenage guys and most groups of men of any age. I'm sure groups of women aren't much different either. This is in no way exclusive to gamers. That doesn't make it right.

I'm a bit conflicted about this to be honest. As much as I dislike this, it is inevitable, it certainly isn't just gamers and comic book readers.

That's the main reason I find these articles annoying. They continually act as if somehow geek culture, and gaming specifically, are abberations on human behaviour. And suggesting that the cause is rooted in geek/gaming depiction of females is pretty silly. Do they honestly think that women would be treated any differently in online CoD if they had female soldiers to play instead of just men?

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Dec 18, 2011, 14:07 Bhruic

Secondly, and more importantly, it's not so much the games that are the problem so much as the gamers. The comic book shop example given is an example. I bet the level of grief (and misguided White Knighting) that female gamers on CoD is horrific.

In general, I agree, but I'm not sure that it's that much worse than many other facets of the internet. Although I don't think the comic book example was useful, since dragging someone somewhere they don't want to be, and then getting them involved in an argument over the contents of that location is a pretty stupid idea.

Beyond that, however, it's disappointing how many women have to put up with idiot gamers. But can you think of an example of where you could have large numbers of teenage guys who can act anonymously, with a smaller percentage of females, and not have the guys act like complete asshats?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2011, 13:56 Bhruic

I doubt anyone said a couple years back "Hey, let's release a graphics card in January". But release schedules of new hardware, especially when you're changing die sizes, aren't set in stone. The pushed hard for the holiday market, but couldn't get it out in time. That's the way it goes sometimes.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 18, 2011, 13:54 Bhruic

It's a bit insulting to not consider the history of gaming. Most early games weren't sexist, they were games. The reason that we have a mostly male dominated gaming market (not speaking of the so-called "casual" market), is because the people who first started playing those games tended to be male. And that spiraled, as developers focused more on their market, they designed their products to be more appealing to males. And the people who enjoyed the products, and then got into the industry to make them tended to be males. And the cycle continued.

My annoyance with the whole thing is - why is this a problem? When you design a facial mask product, you do so with the knowledge that the majority of people that use it will be women. Sure, maybe some men do, but you recognize that's not your primary market. So you design and advertise your product accordingly. Game companies do the same thing, they aim their products at their target market.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 18, 2011, 09:01 Bhruic

I still can't believe Bioware fucked up the Dragon Age name as bad as they did with DA2. Blame EA all you want, but they allowed this shit to happen.

Bioware is responsible for the wave-spawning enemies, so they take the blame for that one. Wanting to have DA2 out asap, however, is probably more EA's fault than Bioware's, so I blame EA for the lack of more map layouts.

As for Shogun 2, it's a decent game, but honestly I didn't enjoy it as much as the older ones. Although it's probably their best "modern" TW. One of the nice things about R:TW, or M:TW, was that various factions had different units, so I could play the Romans one game, with legions, etc, play the Greeks another, with massive hoplite armies, then switch it up to one of the Eastern factions, and play with Horse Archers. Gave it a great deal of replayability. Shogun 2:TW doesn't really have that, so barring map location, who you play as isn't as important. Really cut down on the replayability for me.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 10M; "Fastest Selling Title in Steam's History"
18. Re: Skyrim Ships 10M; "Fastest Selling Title in Steam's History" Dec 17, 2011, 00:12 Bhruic

Yeah, anyone calling people "inbred morons" for making a simple typo has some serious issues.  

News Comments > Blizzard Introduces BattleTags
2. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 11:09 Bhruic

So you can have a unified, across everything name, but it's not unique so someone else can have the same unified, across everything name. Doesn't that kind of defeat the point?  

34. Re: CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up Dec 16, 2011, 03:56 Bhruic

As an idle aside, I wonder if developers/publishers would be happy if they completely eliminated piracy (speaking theoretically, of course), but doing that didn't increase sales at all. Ie, in a hypothetical world, piracy completely stops, but everyone who pirated stuff still doesn't buy it (or buys it under the same conditions they would have had they pirated it).

Would they be satisified with having no pirates, despite no more sales than they otherwise would have seen? Or would that be considered a failure, because they'd only be happy if they could get more sales?

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 53.
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo