Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Turning One
10. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:33 Warskull

Did they ever get around to implementing the PvP? I know they worked on it. They really screwed this game up.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed
13. Re: EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed May 9, 2013, 13:19 Warskull

Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2013, 08:56:
BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2013, 08:53:
How does this equal massive layoffs exactly?
Gotta improve the numbers to get those executive bonuses rolling!

Executive bonuses want spikes in profit because greedy shareholders only make money when the share price spikes up. If a company doesn't grow, shares don't increase in value and shareholders don't make money. The best way to make money is spike your profits at the cost of long term viability, then dump your shares. The way the stock market works right now is kind of screwed up, it actively encourages businesses to run like crap.

Things would be very different if the market focused on stocks that pay dividends rather than the voting stocks that are effectively gambling these days.

News Comments > Diablo III Economy Follow-up
13. Re: Diablo III Economy Follow-up May 9, 2013, 10:50 Warskull

Closed Betas wrote on May 8, 2013, 20:41:
If you dupe gold on a game that features a real money marketplace. Are you not committing a counter-fitting crime? I'd be interested to see where a lawsuit could take this kind of cheating...

Nope, first off you aren't creating fake currency, he game is erroneously giving you more real currency than it should.

Second, it isn't actually a real money marketplace. Every single one forces you to swap your real money into "magic internet dollars" that are worthless. The marketplace then allows you to trade your "magic internet dollar" and Diablo gold. They argue constantly that no real economic activity is taking place (because they don't want taxed on each transaction.) Then some companies let you convert magic internet dollars back to real dollars.

News Comments > Battle for Graxia Launches
2. Re: Battle for Graxia Launches May 1, 2013, 10:15 Warskull

Axis wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:07:
Whoot -- Another 'dead before it started' Petroglyph game!!

I was going to say, didn't that release a DotA derivative just last year that bombed horrifically? Why are they trying the exact same thing again?

News Comments > Spamalot Unchained
29. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 04:08 Warskull

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 22:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 19:29:
Kickstart an MMO so that I can then pay monthly fees? Sure, let me get my wallet...

Creston

This is exactly what I challenged Mark Jacobs with multiple times, and despite his huge amount of open talk with players, he has not said one word about it.

Subscriptions are there because they supposedly justify the monthly new content and suchs mmorpgs get (supposedly). An mmorpg, without PvE, focused 99% around PvP, cant really have content updates. So basically your subs go to giving the devs steak dinners every night.

Again, I challenge Jacobs to prove otherwise.

You can have content updates for PvP oriented games.

That said, I don't exactly have much faith in Mark Jacobs. Warhammer Online was horrible and he was massively out of touch with the state of the game. He has become another relic, riding on his past MMO success.

MMOs are extremely expensive and the fastest way to sink a studio. $2 million hardly seems like enough to bring an MMO to market. This seems like a kickstarter that is very unlikely to produce a good product.

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
15. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:02 Warskull

2K Marin isn't exactly a pedigree studio. Bioshock 2 was significantly weaker than its predecessor. They've mostly succeeded by riding the coattails of Irrational Games.

I don't think this game will necessarily be bad, but it probably won't be good. It will most likely land in that bland, forgettable, uninspiring middle ground. The long development cycle is a bit concerning too.

This is definitely one of those games where you wait for the trustworthy reviewers and most likely pick it up on sale.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Next Month
3. Re: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Next Month Apr 24, 2013, 22:18 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 21:46:
Still playing this Quboid?

This is the kind of game I don't think you ever really stop playing. You might take a break, but you'll be back.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
59. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 20:15 Warskull

While Gearbox deserves every bit of criticism for Aliens:Colonial Marine, it really isn't fair to pin Duke Nukem Forever on them. That failure is squarely on the shoulders of 3D Realms.

People were asking to have Duke Nukem Forever pushed out after 3D Realms finally shuttered. We all knew the game was probably terrible after being stuck in development help for so long.

Now A:CM, Gearbox should be ashamed of that game for the rest of their lives.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 12, 2013, 23:15 Warskull

Saboth wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 22:56:
So the telecoms ate up billions of taxpayer dollars and did not increase their offerings or expand their services. To boot, now they realize the real money is bending people over to ream them with wireless plans like $50 a month for 2 GB of data, which isn't even enough to watch one HD movie, so is absolutely useless as a broadband replacement. Since the phone companies are jumping out of the market, that leaves most towns with one cable company (if they are lucky), that can then raise rates however they wish since they are the only real broadband around. It's basically already happened in my town (100k people). Most areas can not get DSL, so you are stuck with Comcast. Comcast's rates? $39.99 for 3 MB down, or $74.99 for 15 mb. It's like a car dealership that sells only Yugos or Ferraris. But since they are the only game in town, just eat it.

This kills business too. Having internet connectivity is essential for many businesses these days. They'll leave for a better town if the internet sucks that bad.

News Comments > EA Layoffs
2. Re: EA Layoffs Apr 11, 2013, 21:43 Warskull

killer_roach wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 21:04:
Not a huge surprise that their mobile game studio is getting hardest hit... it's a volatile market that EA (in my opinion) has been a bit too aggressive in pursuing non-traditional revenue generation from. What goes up must eventually come down, and all that.

(This isn't exactly a way of saying that microtransactions are necessarily a loser in gaming, in the mobile space or otherwise - just that, in an emerging market, it may be best to diversify risks with a few different revenue models rather than simply taking one that not only hasn't been proven long-term yet, but that seems to be facing considerable resistance in its current structure.)

The problem with mobile gaming is that every mobile game is a gamble. Most gaming sites don't bother hyping up mobile games so either your game gets noticed and sells a ton of copies or it gets lost in all the noise.

News Comments > Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements
22. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:09 Warskull

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 16:15:
I know some people have a problem with Brad, but Stardock is exactly the kind of developer we should be supporting:

• They self publish

• They do strategy games (less common these days)

• They're not a huge conglomerate

• They have shown an ability to learn from their mistakes

• They're hiring some top notch talent.

• They don't burden their games with onerous DRM

• You can play their games offline

• There's the small problem that they make absolutely terrible games. They wrecked Demigod by doing the netcode for it and making absolutely nonfunctional netcode (it was a multiplayer game with multiplayer that didn't work.) Then Elemental was absolutely horrible. Fallen Enchantress is their base game in the recent times being merely mediocre.

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
    19. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 22:40 Warskull

Dev wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 22:10:
    Also, putting aside employees... are you saying there can never ever be a situation in which a game or an error cannot possibly cause someone harm? For instance, what about young kids using an EA game's multiplayer and getting exposed to the total crap consolers like to spew? That could cause emotional distress. A situation like the stupid hot coffee thing could cause a kid distress (granted that kid shouldn't be playing an M rated game like GTA to begin with though).

Don't forget back when they released Warhammer Online they had an issue where they billed people multiple times. We are talking in the range of $500+. If I recall, someone had a relative on medical equipment die because they couldn't pay the power bill after EA maxed out their card.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Preorders
    19. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Preorders Apr 5, 2013, 17:28 Warskull

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 11:04:
    InBlack wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 10:44:
    Yeah go ahead, preorder the game. Whats the worst thing that could happen?

You can cancel the preorder if you decide you don't like the beta, its not out til June.

Relic broke DoW2 with the release patch, then left it broken for 3 months, don't preorder.

News Comments > OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch!
    2. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 09:23 Warskull

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 09:10:
    "We're still here! Honest! Check it out! Anyone? Hello????"

I actually forgot they existed.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
    64. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 15:01 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:59:
    Uhm, would this be a good alternative?

Cities XL Platinum

And it looks like they got rid of the Secure Rom and 5 Machine Activation from the 2011 version.

I always keep hearing that it just flat out isn't a good game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2013, 20:02 Warskull

Well played Tropico 4, well played.  

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
    7. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 09:45 Warskull

Too late, the damage is already done. If you have always on DRM you either have a good launch or you get remembered forever as an example of why this doesn't work.

The thing people remember most about D3 is error=37 and the queues.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
    8. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 5, 2013, 01:32 Warskull

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 21:03:
    Galactic Civilizations 2 was pretty good, but it's been dead a long time now and I've seen other 4X games coming out of the indie market that look just as good.

Stardock better have awesome up its sleeve if it wants to entice me.

GalCiv 2 is overrated in my opinion. A good chunk of its success is due to being released in a period where it was the only option.

News Comments > TimeGate Layoffs
    9. Re: TimeGate Layoffs Mar 5, 2013, 01:28 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 20:32:
    saying this was because a publishing deal fell through.

Gee, ya think?

After the Colonial Marines mess, who would hire this studio?
    (Not that Gearbox doesn't significantly share the blame)

To be fair, the whole A:CM may have not been their fault. It sounds like they got a worthless shamble of assets and an impossible deadline. The responsibility in the end should be mostly on Gearbox. They are the ones who kept delaying the game and created a situation where they needed to crap out a terrible game as fast as possible.

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
    32. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 19:29 Warskull

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 19:01:
    Is World of Tanks any good, or is it pay2win?

It used to be extremely pay to win, the best ammo was paid ammo. I heard it is slightly less pay to win now. However, if you want a tank game, they are it.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo