Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 447 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Retail PoP DRM-Free
24. Re: Retail PoP DRM-Free Dec 11, 2008, 22:24 Warskull

Wow, now you're just really reaching beyond the boundaries of imagination here. Someone finally does exactly what you're all asking for, DRM free PC game with good controls and a usable non-console UI. So what do you do? Make excuses not to buy it or why the piracy numbers won't matter. The backpedaling is remarkably amusing.

Ubisoft is completely untrustworthy. It is more then reasonable to suspect they have ulterior motives. With the way their CR is talking it is thinly veiled at best. This seems like just setting up a good excuse so their next game can have a ridiculously draconian DRM scheme. Especially for a game that is already receiving criticism for not living up to the previous games and a game that is very clearly a console game. The game will obviously be pirated (it happens regardless of DRM) and they will scream that this time it got pirated because of no DRM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Atari: Used Game Sales "Extremely Painful"
5. Re: Atari: Used Game Sales Dec 3, 2008, 17:01 Warskull

Its nice to see a company responding differently than "used games make our profits go down, used games bad!" Instead they are looking at making better quality games that you don't want to sell after one play through.  

News Comments > Harvard's DRM Hacking Proposal
13. Re: Harvard's DRM Hacking Proposal Dec 3, 2008, 16:52 Warskull

But that's the point of this rewording... If the offending company decides to end support for the game for any reason, no matter how arbitrary, we are in our rights to rework it so that we can continue to use it.

I believe his point is that you don't actually own the game, you own the disc and you are licensed the right to play the game (according to most EULAs) and pretty much all EULAs these days have a clause that the owner of the IP may choose to end the licensing agreement at any time for any reason. Thus it could be argued that when the company takes down the servers they are revoking the licensing agreement for everyone and you no longer legally have the right to run your game. Yeah, they are a legal grey area. However, the government really hasn't been on the people's side lately.

The premise of this clause would be that you retain the legal right to use the software, even after the servers are taken down.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2008, 16:53.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patch Plans
2. Re: Fallout 3 Patch Plans Nov 21, 2008, 21:38 Warskull

Is this the patch that stops the game from randomly locking up whenever I enter small interiors?

I believe that is the intention.

News Comments > Gold - Left 4 Dead
14. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 13, 2008, 23:34 Warskull

Honestly, although I don't have any interest at all in the "there are zombies, kill them" genre, I do hope this game succeeds and inspires more games with cooperative modes.

Have you played it yet? If not you should go download it and try a match or two online before they take the demo down (release day.) This game give you phenomenal co-op game play in spades.

Some of the zombies have attacks which require one of your teammates to help you out. It has notices that pop-up every time you save someone or protect someone, making it absolutely clear who is a team player and who helps who.

If you like co-op play, don't let the zombie theme put you off. It is a really good game. You will likely enjoy what it has to offer.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Sells Big
104. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 6, 2008, 22:07 Warskull

I think you're right, but I've built my character to use Heavy weapons and energy weapons and I've ignored the small arms. I have noticed that using my laser rifle in real time is pretty effective if I put it on target.

Until recently the only ranged weapons I had were the mini gun, missle launcher, and fat boy. Those aren't weapons that like being fired in real time mode.

My mini gun burns through so much ammo I could barely afford it in real time. Using VATS with the minigun is more efficient. I suppose the missle launcher can be lined up nicely, maybe I'll try that.

Using the fat boy in real time is a suicide. It's pretty hard to aim accurately and I've blown my self to hell plenty of times.

Next time I pick up a hunting rifle I'll try using it in real time to take out long range enemies. I would hope that my low small arms skill would make the rifle horribly inaccurate, it's be a little disappointing if my shots land right on target...

It depends on the gun, I don't think small arms makes that big a difference outside of VATS.

The 10mm pistol is horrible inaccurate and goes all over the place outside of VATS. The 10mm SMG is pretty tight, the assualt rifle is reasonable tight, and the hunting rifle has an ok spread. Laser pistol, laser rifle, and sniper rifle are near perfectly accurate outside of VATS. Combat Shotgun is accurate, but seems to taper off in damage fast at ranges outside of VATS.

You just have to experiment with them. The big thing is you can usually get a lot more shots in without retaliation in VATS.

Experiment and you get a real good feel for what you should do in VATS and what is best done outside VATS.

When developers make no efforts to optimize a game for the PC platform, I see that as half-assed. You can call hotkeys or large text "minor," but the fact remains that they are easy fixes and should have been implemented. Unfortunately, they weren't, so the port is half-assed.

This game actually is on the half-assed side for the PC release. It has some nasty stability issues. Plus once you complete the game the main story line feels extremely half-assed as does the ending. The "500+" endings they advertised is complete and total BS. You get about 8 and they all suck.

Its a game that could have been great, but they just dropped the ball in a number of placed. It is above average, good, but it is very clear they just didn't give a crap at some points. What makes it hurt is it is very clear that with just a little more effort this game could have been legendary.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 22:13.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patch
23. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2008, 21:54 Warskull

Does this have the "every NPC is my level" feature from Oblivion?

Sort of. Every NPC is your level if you are higher than their minimum level. It is less of an impact though. It seems mainly so you don't take their head off in one shot.

Bethesda screws up the main storyline and ending hard. I would wait to buy it.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 21:55.

News Comments > Hellgate: London Update Plans
3. Re: Hellgate: London Update Plans Nov 3, 2008, 21:52 Warskull

They never said the "world's best game" is Hellgate, merely that they are developing it.  

News Comments > Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios
29. Re: Nov 3, 2008, 16:11 Warskull

Now they just need to hire a person whose full time job is to follow Roper around all day and every time he has a bad idea, slap him and shout "NO." Then everything will turn out fine.  

News Comments > Warhammer Online Free Character Transfers
13. Re: Warhammer Online Free Character Tran Oct 31, 2008, 14:30 Warskull

Uhhh....isn't that supposed to work the other way? Wouldn't a transfer off a low pop server in essence just plain kill the server...while moving to high pop would add the dreaded que?

Except this is really a server merge in a round about way. While this can partially be due to them losing players, I think this is more due to the fact that they released their servers in a retarded manner and had way to many servers. This doomed some of them to being empty while others were ridiculously overpopulated.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Install Code Glitch
12. Re: Red Alert 3 Install Code Glitch Oct 30, 2008, 15:42 Warskull

The issues keep piling up. Every time the game goes to the main menu it checks for an update. The update server is either dying or dead, so it just sits for 2-3 minutes at a black screen with only the update star showing before it gives up. It does this every time you go by the first menu. You can technically play the game, but this has a massive negative impact on things.

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=456448&tstart=30

On top of this a bunch of CD-keys weren't added to the database for the initial launch and weren't able to log online.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 15:44.

News Comments > Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow-up
7. Re: Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow Oct 29, 2008, 17:01 Warskull

I have CD burning software and Daemon Tools. I had problems installing, but the problems went away the moment I shut down Daemon Tools. I don't know if this is a end-all-be-all solution but it seems to me if anyone has problems with installation and has CD emulation they may want to temporarily turn it off.

Part of the problem is a fairly large chunk of people aren't able to run the game because it keeps detecting Alcohol 120 or Nero tools. However, they have already uninstalled or never had it. There is a secureROM patch that works for some people.

http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=emu&c=2500

Entire game is filled with stupid technical problems like this though. Get the console version or wait a few months for them to fix the game before buying it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3
83. Re: My Two Cents Oct 29, 2008, 06:34 Warskull

I've played it a bit so far

The good:
-Game looks very good. When you do get it running smooth, even on low it looks excellent.

-Pretty good dialog options, decent player choices without falling into the Bioware style super good vs super evil choices.

-Good voice acting, decent quests so far. Sufficient options as to how you complete your quests.

-Fairly good use of Fallout's tone and humor.

The bad:
-This game fails hard on the technical front. It runs very poorly, I had to take it all the way down to low to get a decent frame rate. I run a Core 2 Duo E6750, 8600GTS with 4 gigs of ram. I didn't expect to run it on ultra or even high, but getting this game the game just doesn't want to run well on anything above low.

-The game crashes, a lot. It crashes pretty hard too. I've had 4 crash to desktop and one crash I needed to reboot from. I looked on the message boards and it seems to crash the most with 8x series cards.

-NPC movement can be glitchy and appear downright awkward.

It isn't a bad game, but after playing it I somewhat regret buying the PC version. It seems like it would run better on the 360 and play better on the 360. It feels through and through like it was made for a console and PC came second.

Vats is interesting and a lot of the combat revolves around it. You are constantly interrupting the action though and it seems like the slow-mo moments will get tiresome after a while.

Overall a good game, but not a great game. If you are going in with high hopes and great memories from Fallout 2 you will probably be disappointed. I think it will end like most Bethesda games where the great game play comes after someone releases a mod to fix their game.

News Comments > Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launch Trailer
2. Re: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launc Oct 27, 2008, 17:22 Warskull

Its so corny you can't help but love it.  

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
50. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 15:38 Warskull

All DRM is not bad. CD-Keys are an excellent form of DRM. CD-Checks for a new game are acceptable DRM. Both methods are simple and unintrusive.

Publishers aren't ready to give up the DRM security blanket, so Stardock is doing something that makes sense. If they demand DRM, create a better, less intrusive, solution. Ween them off the draconian DRM schemes they are trying to implement.

DRM to some degree needs to exist. They don't want you buying the game and passing the disk around to 20 friends who all install it. Casual piracy like that is something that hurts them. However, putting massive barriers into your game because you think it will stop some guy from torrenting your game is just retarded. That just angers the customer.

Best DRM is the console DRM. It is there, but completely transparent to the user. They never have to stop and think "how will this DRM limit how I can use the product I purchased?"

News Comments > Hellgate End Date
29. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 21:14 Warskull

Feeling a bit miffed that your 10 bucks a month got you all of 1 bit of extra content, are you?

Think if you were one of the poor bastards who bought a lifetime subscription and effectively paid $150 for one half assed expansion.

News Comments > Hellgate End Date
7. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 18:34 Warskull

And "Lifetime Subscribers" are being compensated how?

I feel bad for those that got ripped off, but it was their own blinders that prevented them from seeing and hearing the shit rolling down hill, even before the game was released.

You know its the fanboyism that lets shit like this go anywhere in the first place, all the lifetime subscribers get what they deserve. Maybe after being burned a few times the fanboys will wise up.

News Comments > On Gears of War 2, PCs, and Piracy
35. Re: No subject Sep 30, 2008, 00:38 Warskull

But the fact remains piracy or not, releasing it on the pc will only increase their revenue not decrease. People will buy it. Even if only 1 in 5 players buy it, that's still 1 more sale than you would have on the pure console sale.

It costs money to port a game or develop it for multiple platforms. It costs money to print the game on disks. If you spend more than you made you lost money. If you could have been making better profit investing the resources into something else, you lost money.

Shifting over to console games is a good move for Epic. You can have better profits and sell more games. Piracy for the PC is an issue. A ton of studios blow it out of proportion claiming "my terrible game didn't do well because of piracy." However, there are those that legitimately see piracy take a chunk out of their sales. The piracy/DRM situation drives people towards console en masse because the consumers don't have to put up with ridiculous DRM that tries to police their system and the developers know that while piracy exists on the console the market is large and the demographic is less likely to pirate the game.

PC games in general are going to have to shift models. Digital delivery a la Steam, browser based games with accounts (ala quake live), multiplayer games with CD-keys, and subscription based games are the way to go. If you want to make a single player experience the console is the superior place to market it.

News Comments > Spore DRM Lawsuit
28. Re: No subject Sep 24, 2008, 14:40 Warskull

Next time it will be in the EULA which you must agree to and, presto-installo, no more legal problems

It would depend on how the case ruled. Contracts and EULAs don't make something legal just by having a clause. For example EA couldn't add a "We may legally murder you if you try to install this more than once." clause into the EULA and expect it to fly in court.

If this gets any real momentum EA will probably settle. They stand to lose very little by settling (they make tons of money), but a legal precedent could have a massive impact on all publishers.

As for not being able to return the software, there was a California class-action lawsuit where a woman sued because she was unable to return microsoft software if she did not agree to the EULA. I know there was at least a settlement in her favor.

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
16. Re: Open beta? Sep 1, 2008, 23:51 Warskull

I don't know if I will like this game or not, but is there a way for me to check it out without buying the game? Did open PUBLIC beta occur yet? Thanks in advance.

It will start the 7th, anyone who has a pre-order is let in plus a limited number of first come first serve slots. With the way the preview weekend went I doubt those slots will last very long.

You could pre-order from a gamestop, get the code, and then never go back and pick it up (if you don't like it) if they run out of open beta slots. Basically a $10 trial run.

447 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo