Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II
35. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 20, 2009, 01:00 Warskull

And didn't everyone used to all bitch about games shipping as beta? Seems like Relic is being forgiven for that for some reason.

They've stated before that the game is basically finished. All units are in, the entire single player is finished, the upcoming multiplayer beta is primarily for multiplayer balance testing. Tweaking some numbers once the game hits release doesn't seem like "beta product."

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2009, 01:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > League of Legends: Clash of Fates Interview
1. Re: League of Legends: Clash of Fates In Jan 18, 2009, 01:37 Warskull

Well at least he toned down the "I created DotA" bullshit he used to do, but he basically just stole and modified an already popular map when the creator didn't want to bother updating it to warcraft 3's expansion.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II Movie
7. Re: Dawn of War II Movie Jan 15, 2009, 15:59 Warskull

It isn't done so much for storytelling purposes, but so you can differentiate the squad leaders from the rest of the marines easily. Yes, technically it makes them easier to shoot in the head, but it is ultimately fantasy and characters with a face when everyone else wears a mask are more personal.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
33. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jan 13, 2009, 18:07 Warskull

Would you mind spoiling the end for me? I put in a bit of time on the 360 version and returned it to gamefly before I finished it. (got pretty boring after a certain point...)

Alright spoilers:
From there you find you dad trapped in some virtual world, rescue him, try to get the thing back running but enclave attacks and you day locks himself in a room and irradiates them killing himself. You then go find an eden kit. Once you find the kit it goes downhill fast. You get captured by enclave, but the president who turns out to be a computer lets you out and a poorly written conversations follows. It is basically "use this virus to wipe out humanity" and your character replies with either "hmm... ok" or "no, but since you insist I'll hold onto the virus, if I change my mind." You then liberate the water purifier and it goes into some choice things where it explodes if it doesn't get activated, but the radiation will kill whoever steps in there so you have to pick between you or one of the brotherhood. This is despite the fact that you may have a mutant immune to radiation with you who will tell you "it's your destiny" (no bullshit, that's what he tells you if you try to talk to him) and you are probably up to your eyeballs in rad resistance.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
23. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jan 13, 2009, 16:39 Warskull

I still don't understand why this game is getting 9/10 scores and above. It's barely a passable RPG, and a mediocre adventure/shooter game.

If I recall, didn't crash happy games used to get abysmal score purely for being crash happy? Now it is just "game barely runs, they gave us a lot of money and exclusives 11 out of 10!"

My stance with fallout was simple, the game itself is ok. It isn't great, but it isn't bad. It is extremely crash happy, to the point where I would advise anyone to avoid buying it until they patch that up (read, probably never.) The main storyline is atrocious. I played through it and will probably never play it again.

After playing fallout 3, I don't think it is a smart move to ever purchase another Bethesda product again.

I think it goes such high reviews because it was a big name CRPG and you don't get many of those (especially with Bioware prioritizing consoles now.)

News Comments > Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing
9. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 23:33 Warskull

Personally I'd love to see Bioware use the Conan Engine/Combat for The Old Republic.

The engine is horribly buggy, chock full of memory leaks, and runs poorly in general.

News Comments > Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM
30. Re: Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM Jan 10, 2009, 18:35 Warskull

Loved Dawn of War back in the day myself but I don't think it's aged well, particularly after playing Company of Heroes for a couple of years. The micromanagement and grouping aids in CoH show how lacking DoW was in a lot of ways and with the speed increase in DoW in one of the later patches I actually don't really enjoy playing it anymore.

That said, I'm so stoked for the sequel.

CoH is a great game, but the "feel" of DoW is just better. The units are a bit larger and have brilliant details. CoH had a lot of improvements that I am hoping to see in DoW II.

News Comments > Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM
12. Re: Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM Jan 9, 2009, 23:09 Warskull

You'll probably need a valid account linked to a CD-key. Most likely a games for windows live account, since that is the match-making system being used.

Also note that this doesn't mean the game will be completely DRM free, they'll probably use the system in a number of their previous games. CD required for off-line play, nothing required for online play (or if you are logged in.)

I don't think the single player is dumbed down, so much as they are trying to make a more interesting RTS experience. Most RTS single player missions are just build your base, build a bunch of towers/turrers/emplaced defenses to kill the periodic waves the AI sends, sit around building an army, and then killing everything. They just start the AI with a ton of stuff you have to chip away at over time. This sounds like it is trying to create a more compelling and interesting single player experience. Tactical vs strategic can still be an in depth experience.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2009, 23:13.

News Comments > Relic: DoW Support Lacking
7. Re: Relic: DoW Support Lacking Jan 9, 2009, 15:13 Warskull

I don't think this is attempting to ease people into windows live, but actually admitting two huge flaws with DoW. They used game spy's matchmaking service which completely sucked and made it very difficult to get a match going. They also had major issues patching the game in a timely fashion.  

News Comments > Dawn of War 2 Specs; Beta News Nears
9. Re: Dawn of War 2 Specs; Beta News Nears Jan 7, 2009, 01:13 Warskull

No DRM is probably wishful thinking, but light DRM isn't too much to hope for (probably CD-check for offline play.)  

News Comments > Clear Sky and Terran Conflict DRM Glitch
9. Re: Clear Sky and Terran Conflict DRM Gl Jan 3, 2009, 16:26 Warskull

People just need to petition valve to put a large warning on games that have additional copy protection on steam. "Warning this game contains additional copy protection mechanisms which may impact your ability to play the game" in red with a big caution sign by it. Then those companies will fix the issue itself when the games suddenly stop selling on steam.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Postmortem
21. Re: Fallout 3 Postmortem Dec 30, 2008, 16:04 Warskull

The writing wasn't great, but it was passable. I missed the lack of black humor (it was there occasionally.) The humor in general was pretty sparse and hard to find.

My big complaints about fallout 3 were the fact that it was very crash happy. It crashes on a fairly regular basis. The main storyline is also absolutely terrible. It just starts going downhill a little ways in and only gets worse. It just had too many moment when they blow through the obvious and completely shatter your suspension of disbelief.

It was a slightly above average RPG-lite. It really looks like they released it 75% finished on purpose so you buy their DLC. Why buy the DLC when you can't rely on them to release a finished, quality product?

News Comments > Vaporware 2008
12. Re: Vaporware 2008 Dec 29, 2008, 16:14 Warskull

Duke Nukem Forever is vaporware. Starcraft 2 may have a bunch of BS about how they are releasing it (to milk it for all its worth), but it isn't vaporware. They have working builds and it is making steady progress. It may certainly be other bad things, but calling it vaporware because Blizzard is taking their time to polish it is incorrect.

Vaporware is essentially calling bullshit on a hyped piece of software that you doubt will ever get released. Some random idea that a company had that gets axed isn't really vaporware. A game that took to long to release isn't really vaporware (especially if it is in open beta.) A general idea isn't vaporware, would you call flying cars vaporware?

At this rate these idiots will be calling a McDonald's meal vaporware if it takes more than 2 minutes to get their hands on it.

News Comments > Game Price Cut "Warning"
36. Re: Game Price Cut Dec 23, 2008, 16:01 Warskull

I think a big part of the problem is the industry doesn't discount their less than AAA titles. They release a lot of games that aren't bad, but aren't really worth investing $60 into. Most people refer to these as bargain bin games, but I don't see these games start to drop price nearly soon enough. Seems like the game industry is trying to keep copies of year old games at $10 less than full price more than ever. I would personally buy a heck of a lot more games if their price reflected how good their value. Yes, you get a lot of content with games, but that doesn't mean the content is good. $50 is a decent investment. You can purchase 4-5 extremely good movies on DVD for that (you can still get movies for $9.99 as long as you buy a basic version and the movies hasn't just hit DVD.)

In summary, I would love to see the mediocre titles (and there are a lot of them) drop in price a bit sooner. Bargain bin quality titles really shouldn't carry a AAA quality title price. Even dropping the price $10-15 on their not quite AAA title after a few months could help move product.

This is exactly why Steam has been getting more and more of my business lately. They actually have sales and deals that get me interested in the games. I hadn't considered buying stalker until it was $5, in which case it became a no brainer. They offer packs of older games at aggressive prices. Their sales also spread word of mouth about the game. Many gamers don't trust reviews anymore, with good reason. Having a friend purchase a game and say "this is actually pretty good" means a heck of a lot more than a game review.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2008, 16:11.

News Comments > Phantom Store Launches
17. Re: Phantom Store Launches Dec 15, 2008, 20:35 Warskull

I can't wait for those texas-sized drama queens at h-ocp, you know the guys with the shaved forearms and denim shorts, to see that their nemesis Phantom is actually going to have a product.

Hocp based much of their early popularity on trashing Phantom's spolied brat CEO in a case of raw penis envy, or something. Picking the low-hanging fruit from the scandal tree as it were.

Hard OCP was right to give Phantom crap. The console never came out, this is the first product we have seen from them since they announced that they were making a console in 2002. The SEC accused the CEO of pump and dump and he just screams con-artist. Having the SEC investigate your CEO isn't exactly a small thing. Since 2002 all they have produced is a steam knock-off.

If there products turn out to be great, that's dandy. Skepticism is the only smart approach here, seeing the companies history.

News Comments > Dawn of War II DRM Talk & Movie
2. Re: Dawn of War II DRM Talk & Movie Dec 12, 2008, 22:23 Warskull

DoW already had one of the best DRM schemes created. CD-Key + good online play (that obviously requires a valid CD key.) I don't think you have to go much beyond that.  

News Comments > Retail PoP DRM-Free
24. Re: Retail PoP DRM-Free Dec 11, 2008, 22:24 Warskull

Wow, now you're just really reaching beyond the boundaries of imagination here. Someone finally does exactly what you're all asking for, DRM free PC game with good controls and a usable non-console UI. So what do you do? Make excuses not to buy it or why the piracy numbers won't matter. The backpedaling is remarkably amusing.

Ubisoft is completely untrustworthy. It is more then reasonable to suspect they have ulterior motives. With the way their CR is talking it is thinly veiled at best. This seems like just setting up a good excuse so their next game can have a ridiculously draconian DRM scheme. Especially for a game that is already receiving criticism for not living up to the previous games and a game that is very clearly a console game. The game will obviously be pirated (it happens regardless of DRM) and they will scream that this time it got pirated because of no DRM.

News Comments > Atari: Used Game Sales "Extremely Painful"
5. Re: Atari: Used Game Sales Dec 3, 2008, 17:01 Warskull

Its nice to see a company responding differently than "used games make our profits go down, used games bad!" Instead they are looking at making better quality games that you don't want to sell after one play through.  

News Comments > Harvard's DRM Hacking Proposal
13. Re: Harvard's DRM Hacking Proposal Dec 3, 2008, 16:52 Warskull

But that's the point of this rewording... If the offending company decides to end support for the game for any reason, no matter how arbitrary, we are in our rights to rework it so that we can continue to use it.

I believe his point is that you don't actually own the game, you own the disc and you are licensed the right to play the game (according to most EULAs) and pretty much all EULAs these days have a clause that the owner of the IP may choose to end the licensing agreement at any time for any reason. Thus it could be argued that when the company takes down the servers they are revoking the licensing agreement for everyone and you no longer legally have the right to run your game. Yeah, they are a legal grey area. However, the government really hasn't been on the people's side lately.

The premise of this clause would be that you retain the legal right to use the software, even after the servers are taken down.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2008, 16:53.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patch Plans
2. Re: Fallout 3 Patch Plans Nov 21, 2008, 21:38 Warskull

Is this the patch that stops the game from randomly locking up whenever I enter small interiors?

I believe that is the intention.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo