Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 434 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Dawn of War II Patch Plans
7. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Plans May 1, 2009, 20:02 Warskull

According to some post on the Relic News forums from a programmer, the patch is already in late certification.

Yeah, they said that with the pop-cap bug fix, but in reality they never submitted it and it took 2 months to get into the game. Plus they have a tendency to not test their stuff and introduce horrible bugs into their game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Demigod Updates
7. Re: Demigod Updates Apr 25, 2009, 02:18 Warskull

Multiplayer is still broken, the patch actually made it worse and had to be partially rolled back.  

News Comments > Demigod Patched
22. Re: Demigod Patched Apr 16, 2009, 15:41 Warskull

Invalid key=pirated copy.

The game checks your CD-key when you install/update a legitimate version. You can't typo it and install it unless you typo to another valid key.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:42.

News Comments > Demigod Early
6. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:03 Warskull

I get that Stardock thinks pirates don't buy games...but they don't actually have any evidence to support that belief. I am rather impressed that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is, though. OTOH, so do those companies that do use DRM (put their money where their mouth is, that is).

I think what Stardock believes is "DRM doesn't make pirates buy games." So why bother legitimate users with it, if it isn't working?

News Comments > Dawn of War II Patch Monday
5. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Monday Apr 10, 2009, 15:06 Warskull

All the screw-ups in DoW II have Relic written all over them. Relic has a history of not testing their stuff and releasing it buggy. Every single patch is a game of "find the new bugs."  

News Comments > Dawn of War II Patch Plans
8. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Plans Apr 8, 2009, 15:50 Warskull

This game is an Epic Fail. Another reminder to me to never ever buy games for at least 6 months. I wish I never bought it. I'll probably never look it it again. Kids game anyway.

It's double epic fail. It was released with game breaking bugs and they take a month to apply a crappy band-aid that only half fixes the issue. Two months for a proper patch, and Relic clearly doesn't bother testing their stuff. So the patch will probably break something else (which will take another month or so to get fixed.) The whole time they lied to the community about the patch too.

Relic is a trash dev now.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2009, 15:51.

News Comments > Impulse Phase 3 Launches
17. Re: Impulse Phase 3 Launches Apr 7, 2009, 17:20 Warskull

Their activation/deactivation technology is certainly interesting. It could be used to bring demos back to games if it runs as smoothly as they say. Let you have a 24-48 hour activation to try out a game, basically a time constrained demo of the full game. The reselling your used games is a nice option too.  

News Comments > Dragon Age DLC Plans
6. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Apr 6, 2009, 21:47 Warskull

That's just way too long, really. Even if I love the game, by that time I've moved on so thoroughly that the odds of going back to it for DLC is pretty low. It'd have to be Half-Life episode-esque, where the DLC was practically a sequel, for it to be appealing.

Really, it sounds like they will make the DLC a digital only expansion pack. People buy expansion packs for other games. I'm sure if it has plenty of content people will be interested in it.

News Comments > ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs
18. Re: ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs Mar 31, 2009, 20:38 Warskull

but I doubt MoreLuckThanSkill is going to be happy with any kind of DRM

He also has a poor grasp on reality. Clearly labeled DRM and standardized EULAs could go a long way. Especially if the standardized EULA was written to be more fair to consumers (which current EULAs most certainly aren't.)

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
45. Re: He's still talking.... Mar 30, 2009, 15:41 Warskull

He's absolutely right, game pricing needs to adapt. Games are priced like they are still an extremely niche market. Publishers have a tendency to overcharge and under deliver. Not all games are worth $50-60, in fact few are. There are a number of games I can recall skipping because of their price. I would look at them, be interested, but not be willing to risk $60. At $30, I would have picked them up. Game prices take far too long to drop these days too.

Games being overpriced and rarely worth the full price is why the second hand market is so strong. The game industry needs to start making more lower budget, lower priced games. If they make a pile of crap, throwing another couple million at it isn't going to make it a good game.

In the long run, I think the companies that do not heed this advice will end up extinct. Steam has already proven you can make a killing if you price more aggressively.

News Comments > Game Developer Choice Awards
21. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 15:47 Warskull

Wow, these awards are terrible. I guess a buggy, crash prone game that got worse with patches it what constitutes game of the year these days.

If you look at the nominees its pretty obvious these are BS. They just nominated Fallout 3, GTA IV, Little Big Planet, and a few others for every category.

Pro tip #2: Opinions vary; we're not all alike so don't act like this is the first time a bad decision has been made. It's both hilarious yet confusing to see you guys get your panties in a knot

This isn't a regular bad decision. These are mind bogglingly bad.

News Comments > Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
8. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of V Mar 26, 2009, 15:10 Warskull

Relic released DoW 2 with game breaking bugs in it and took nearly a month to even begin to do something about those bugs. They still aren't properly fixed and DoW 2 is for the most part being neglected. It just seems like a terrible idea to purchase anything from Relic right now. I wouldn't expect the new features to work at all.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Invites Coming?
4. Re: StarCraft II Beta Invites Coming? Mar 20, 2009, 00:01 Warskull

Yeah, the games all being up for digital download if you have the keys is really nice.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched
12. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 21:28 Warskull

The beta was a disaster. They are past that and I think this is their first test dealing with problems in the field. And you're unhappy because they didn't start working on this approx 1-2 weeks before the problem was found?

No, he's unhappy because they failed to test their product. The pop-cap bug wasn't some crazy obscure bug. It was something that all you had to do was reinforce a squad to full. Players discovered it and reporting it in less than 24hrs after release.

So either their QA department is terrible or relic knew about this and decided to go ahead without trying to fix it pre-release.

It was easily reproduced, it was easily found, this isn't some crash bug that took a specific set-up to trigger. This is a bug that affected every single multiplayer game.

They did poor testing and/or pushed a bad patch when they knew they had a terrible support system in place. Sadly, it looks like this sort of behavior is becoming standard for Relic.

This all boils down to one giant warning sign that says if you have not purchased DoW II do not purchase it and avoid Relic products in the future.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 21:29.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Patched
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Pat Mar 10, 2009, 16:41 Warskull

The fix the did was a half-fix that never went through MS (and probably never through steam.)

That still a game breaking bug that pretty much destroyed multiplayer in the game for nearly a full 3 weeks.

The bug was pretty darn obvious, but they just released with it in there anyway. That's just releasing a half finished game in my book. Call me crazy, but my standards say that when you put the game on sale it should be free of game breaking bugs.

News Comments > Age of Conan Interview
14. Re: Age of Conan Interview Mar 8, 2009, 21:11 Warskull

Was it me or did the stats for the gear make no sense whatsoever

It was a pretty retarded system, for the most part the stats were meaningless. PvP wise, only invulnerabilities mattered. It just ignored defense rating.

Their system was put a bunch of deceptive numbers on stuff that don't actually do anything, be as obscure as you can be, and pray the players never figure it out.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Patched
4. Re: Dawn of War II Patched Mar 2, 2009, 23:18 Warskull

So how is it going with fixing that broken population cap problem?

Not fixed, looks like it could be weeks until it is fixed. In summary, if you haven't purchased this game, don't buy it. Wait for the next RTS.

News Comments > TF2 Cheats Disciplined
38. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Feb 27, 2009, 18:19 Warskull

I think the achievements need to be setup so everyone earns them over time. Have them tied to stupid things like kills in one game, or 2 or 3 kills in a row with one weapon, something that you can do while you play the game however you like.

Why have the weapons "earned" though? Why not just give the weapons and then give the achievements? This way you can still have weird quirky achievements that a player isn't going to normally get and when someone does get it, they feel special because not many other people have it. On top of that no one has to grind or "cheat" by going onto empty servers, using achievement servers, or sabotaging their team. Everyone has the weapons and the people that like the achievements can go get them.

What the grind monkeys can't see is that by linking the weapons and achievements both are cheapened. If it wasn't a problem why has valve nerfed some of the achievement weapons and reduced the amount of achievements required to unlock the weapons? They just aren't brave enough to take the final step.

News Comments > TF2 Cheats Disciplined
31. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Feb 27, 2009, 16:27 Warskull

Problem is valve insists upon being stupid with achievements. Just separate the achievements and new weapons. The new weapons are why I really don't play TF2 anymore. I don't feel like grinding to get better guns (a number of them actually are strictly better.)

As for "cheating", bullshit. They are still playing by the game rules. Its no more cheating than someone who bought a character on WoW. They were just smart and skipped the grind they didn't enjoy. If you enjoy the grind, great. If you hate the grind, why have you been kissing Valve's ass, tell them they did something stupid. In the end they have no advantage over you.

The number of achievement farm servers and the achievement hack is pretty solid evidence valve screwed up the achievement weapon link. I can only hope companies start to wake up and this plague of companies adding levels/grind in wholly inappropriate places ends. Keep it to the single player games and the shitty MMOs.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 16:29.

News Comments > Game Release Dates Spreading?
11. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:08 Warskull

With games like Gears of War and Halo, your large name, sequel titles. You will sell them at Christmas regardless. So just release them whenever. You don't have to worry about attaching some games to consoles.

If the game is good enough and lasts long enough, people will still buy it for Christmas 6 months later if they haven't already got it. If its a mediocre game, it will probably won't get noticed. At the same time people will probably only buy 1-2 games for Christmas and it will likely get destroyed by a better game. Kind of like how orange box destroyed all other shooters trying to release beside it.

Now maybe in another 5 years they'll catch onto pricing. Valve seems to have already got the idea and is moving ridiculous amounts of product with their sales.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 22:10.

434 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo