Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October
11. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 4, 2010, 22:20 Warskull

The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2010, 21:51:
FU (heh) had a REALLY good story/voice acting/etc but the controls were just obnoxious. Just take the engine, get rid of the quick time events (so I can watch the action not for button presses), and put in the Jedi Knight control scheme and I'd be happy.

The engine was pretty clunky and glitchy too. I remember getting stuck in terrain a couple of times. I imagine the sequel will be just as half-assed as the original.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EQ2 Passport Interview
4. Re: EQ2 Passport Interview May 4, 2010, 22:17 Warskull

Downer28 wrote on May 4, 2010, 20:48:
Hmm. Now this is interesting. So, you get 72 hours of play time over 30 days for just $5? I think this is perfect for someone like me who doesn't want to pay the full price, but wants to play casually. I wish other MMOs did this.

EDIT: Ahh, it's 3 consecutive days. Okay, that kind of sucks.

Yeah, at first I thought it was like you described. It didn't seem like a bad idea, but 1 weekend ever 30 days doesn't seem like a very good deal. In fact it seems like a pretty stupid pricing scheme.

I think a number of the marginal MMOs could do good with a scheme that let you buy a reasonably large amount of hours and play at your own place. Especially if it didn't expire until used up.

News Comments > Alpha Protocol DRM Details
22. Re: Alpha Protocol DRM Details May 3, 2010, 02:10 Warskull

Its alright DRM, hopefully they patch it out after a while. I'm disappointed that they are using their DRM over steamworks for the steam version. I'll probably not buy this at release as a result.  

News Comments > New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated]
16. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 21:23 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 16:44:
The visuals definitely have that Korean/Japanese feel to it. So, no, I won't be giving it another look. You knock yourself out though, sport.

No they don't, its a game made by a company in Seattle. Its about as Asian looking as World of Warcraft.

News Comments > Stolen SF4 Footage Sought
13. Re: Stolen SF4 Footage Sought Apr 24, 2010, 20:54 Warskull

Dev wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 19:13:
Another reason to do backups of stuff.

I'm not trying to minimize anything and the thief is a total douchebag, but its a good idea to backup anything thats "irreplacable"

You can't really back it up while you are making it.

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
18. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 17, 2010, 15:00 Warskull

The concept of "paid demos" actually could be good if they handled it right. Release a small chunk of your game for $5-10, then allow the player to unlock the rest for $40. The key is the money put into the "demo" must go towards the full purchase. Basically, make the full game, but release it episodically. The total cost of the 3-4 episode would be equal to the total cost of the game. This would encourage them to make their game quality the whole way through, so people don't stop half-way through.

That said, this is EA, so they are just going to screw the customer over.

News Comments > Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam
6. Re: Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam Apr 14, 2010, 23:18 Warskull

It's terrible, you are better off just playing some TF2. Levels make way too much of a difference and the game play is mediocre.  

News Comments > Cryptic Studios Interview
5. Re: Cryptic Studios Interview Apr 12, 2010, 15:07 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 10:12:
"Bill Roper has gone from executive producer on Champions Online to Cryptic's chief creative officer"

How the fuck does that Jackhole keep managing to climb the ladder?

I gotta start doing FAIL after FAIL and see if I can make more money.

...not.

Maybe they can't fire him so they are trying to promote him to a position where he can be ignored.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2010, 20:44 Warskull

Really, the best way to figure out if a game will be good or bad is to look at a developer's previous releases. Bad game developers make bad games, good game developers make good games. A recent example of this, the new AvP game. Rebellion's last decent game was the original AvP, then its been a steady stream of shovelware. The new AvP turned out to be mediocre at best.

As for metacritic, its not useless. If a mainstream/advertised game scored below a 70% it is almost guaranteed to be bad. Reviewers fall over themselves to hype a game and give it good score in hopes of getting screenshots and video from the developer. They rarely rate stuff below an 8. If they rate an advertised/hyped game low, you know it has to be really bad. However, you good scores mean nothing.

For more inde/obscure games, reviews aren't really useful at all.

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes
3. Re: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes Mar 20, 2010, 18:13 Warskull

Tumbler wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 16:31:
The balance in the MP game right now is horrid. The ranged weaponry of marines and chaos is outstanding, and both the h2h races are basically cannon fodder. The orks are absolutely terrible. the nids aren't as bad off but still need some love, eldar are good, and marines and chaos are godly.

This is relic. Honestly, what did you expect? They haven't bothered to balance their games in a long time.

News Comments > Global Agenda Patch Tomorrow
7. Re: Global Agenda Patch Tomorrow Mar 15, 2010, 18:24 Warskull

Hump wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 13:12:
I wish to hell they'd do a free weekend or something for this game. It looks interesting but I'm not chancing $50 to perhaps find it out isn't worth it.

I'll save you some time and money, go play TF2 instead. Its a mediocre shooter that tries to copy ideas from a bunch of other shooters and the final package is distinctively mediocre as a result. If you want a fun shooter go for TF2, if you want a shooter where you can level, play Battlefield Bad Company 2.

News Comments > R.U.S.E. in U.S. on June 8 & U.K. June 4
5. Re: R.U.S.E. in U.S. on June 8 & U.K. June 4 Mar 10, 2010, 12:56 Warskull

I agree, interesting game, pity about the insane DRM. One less sale for ubi.  

News Comments > R.U.S.E. Open Beta Begins
4. Re: R.U.S.E. Open Beta Begins Mar 9, 2010, 17:18 Warskull

Quboid wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 15:45:
I had it preloaded and only noticed from this article that it's an Ubi game. D'oh. I'll try the beta but unless all the bad press means they scrap their Digital Rape Mechanism, the beta's all I'll play. It's a shame that we can barely even talk about Ubi's games' actual gameplay or content any more.

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I was interested in seeing how this game turns out, but if it has that DRM scheme I won't purchase it, even if the game itself is good.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
46. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 01:23 Warskull

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:31:
I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:27:
Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:24:
Yeah demigods if I recall right. They had some issues when it first launched, I wonder how they ended up fixing it.
Legitimate users got a patch that authenticated to a different server that wasn't overloaded since the pirates didn't get the patch.

The real sin in all that was that Stardock and GPG took a huge credibility hit because regardless of the reason, legitimate buyers of the game only knew that they couldn't connect and play. The net code was a little shaky at launch, but this really magnified the problem, and hurt both companies in the process. They should have expected it however. Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor results. The 'P' rule.

The reputation hit was for the myriad of other issues the game had. The pirates hammering Demigod's servers only lasted about 1 day. The netcode to get people into matches just didn't work. The game was pretty close to unplayable.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
30. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 20:04 Warskull

Overon wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 19:01:
I buy the DDOS story. There are people out there who are against this kind of Draconian DRM (I'm going to coin a new term DRM=Draconian Rights Management) and they would be very motivated to do this to demonstrate a point.

I would say that a DDoS is possible. However, Ubisoft has been known to lie and do shady things, you can't really take their word for it. I would say there is just as much of a chance this is Ubisoft underestimating customer load. I guarantee you Ubi is in full PR spin mode right now.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Update Details
17. Re: Dawn of War II Update Details Mar 7, 2010, 13:53 Warskull

Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2010, 04:55:
Warskull wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 14:46:
Relic is famous for not bothering to test their stuff, failing to fix bugs in a reasonable time frame, and introducing as many bugs (if not more) than they fix. If you buy this game day 1 knowing Relic's history, you will get exactly what you deserve.

Nice to know my pessimism about gamers is right. Hyperbolic statements are a-GO!

You obviously didn't play the game around release and do not know what you are talking about.

The pop cap bug occurred in every single multiplayer game and every player encountered it the first time they played a multiplayer game. It was such a blatant bug they it is clear they never even bothered to play through a single multiplayer match for testing purposed before release. This wasn't some crazy bug that took a weird combination of circumstances. Making units would result in lost population cap. You could lose 25%-75% of you pop-cap very easily. The bug was absolutely devastating for some races. I don't know how much experience you have with multiplayer RTS games, but a bug that eventually cripples your ability to make units is game destroying.

They then took over 2 months to fix this bug, initially blaming Microsoft for the slow patching. The reality was they just didn't put a priority on fixing it. The game was released in the 2nd week of February and the didn't gets its first real bug fix patch until the very end of April. That's slightly more than 2 months.

For a game designed primarily as a multiplayer RTS that is an unacceptable bug and an unacceptable amount of time to fix it. You either just have really low standards when it comes to games or don't actually know anything about DoW 2's release and Relic's track record as of lately.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Update Details
12. Re: Dawn of War II Update Details Mar 6, 2010, 14:46 Warskull

spindoctor wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 05:44:
Relic's support for this title has been truly outstanding. In an industry where game developers start talking about paid DLC weeks before their game even launches, Relic have stood out as people who actually care about their game and community. They've put out constant patches, balance fixes, new content (maps, game type) and their world builder. And it continues. The game has also been on sale many times over the last year so anyone who doesn't like to pay full price for games could have gotten it for 50% off, if not less.

It's possible people might not like that they have done away with the classic RTS formula of base building, but I doubt anyone can have any major complaints about their level of commitment towards it. I haven't played the game nearly as much as I would have liked to, but I'll be picking up this expansion just to reward them for this.

No, it isn't. They left a game breaking multiplayer bug in their game for over 2 months. Units would permanently eat up population cap. This was not an uncommon bug either, it occured in every single game and was discovered in less than 24 hours after release.

If you picked DoW2 up on sale 6 months after release you probably missed to total circus that was release. There is a reason the game was going for $30 1-2 months after release. The game had a number of show stopping bugs and Relic was actually adding huge bugs to the game faster than they fixed them.

Relic is famous for not bothering to test their stuff, failing to fix bugs in a reasonable time frame, and introducing as many bugs (if not more) than they fix. If you buy this game day 1 knowing Relic's history, you will get exactly what you deserve.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2010, 20:43.

News Comments > AU Gaming/Smoking Follow-up
7. Re: AU Gaming/Smoking Follow-up Mar 5, 2010, 15:51 Warskull

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 15:20:
How does a fucking asshole like that not lose his fucking JOB over this kind of bullshit insanity?

If I was a member of Australia's parliament, I'd be fucking EMBARRASSED to be in the same government as this shit-licker.

Creston

The news love to report on this crackpot bullshit. Previous generations don't understand some of the new trends so they are afraid of them. The news knows fear mongering gets ratings and its easy to fear monger if people don't understand something. Furthermore, the politician spouting this BS ends up looking like he's protecting the people because the news never bothers to verify scientific claims.

The whole system is bullshit.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Patch
9. Re: Mass Effect 2 Patch Feb 22, 2010, 17:52 Warskull

Vehicle control is probably referring to the spaceship during the star navigation portions of the game.  

News Comments > GPG on the Cost of Independence
20. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 20:55 Warskull

Theo wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 15:05:
the stupid thing is, had chirs put the effort in to making the game work (demigod), his kids would have gone to 4 collages, and he'd be driving something nice.

the game was (And is good), the comminity is posion (just like DotA, HoN, LoL) but the state the game was released in was utterly unacceptable.

/Theo

They try to blame the community, but the simple fact is demigod failed because the game did not work. I am not exaggerating, the game was released in a completely non-functional state. I was an online multiplayer game where you quite literally could not get into games. The single player was just skirmishes vs AI. Then the game continued to stay non-functional for a good month.

Call the community poison if you want, but you sell someone a product that doesn't work and they are going to get angry. This was further complicated when stardock started to blame the community and started banning people (from the game) for complaining about how awful the game was.

The game itself was mediocre, could have been good with some support. The train wreck that was the game's netcode doomed it from the start. Even now with the problems starting games mostly fixed, if anyone lags in game, everyone lags. One person sets their video settings to high and everyone has to suffer through constant pausing.

As for picking up the game on the cheap now, what's the point? Its an online multiplayer game with no one left to play it. The price isn't $10 already because its a successful and popular game.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo