Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 433 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
5. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 15:54 Warskull

Aero wrote on May 30, 2010, 15:49:
I'm willing to accept a little bit of obtrusiveness from a DRM scheme, provided that scheme actually works. That's the root of my objection to DRM in general. I wouldn't be all that opposed to these constant connection schemes if they really did prevent piracy. But they don't, and until they do, I won't think twice about any game that uses them. Of course, that's pretty unlikely, so better to just drop it entirely.

The funny thing is, we have had an effective DRM scheme for a very long time. Unique keys/accounts and good multiplayer. Methods of multiplayer for pirates can exist, but they tend to be inferior to a well designed multiplayer product.

Paketep wrote on May 30, 2010, 15:51:
I still wonder why anyone would give this idiot minutes.

He tells them what they want to hear.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM
7. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 22:38 Warskull

Namco-Bandai makes PC games?  

News Comments > Stolen Gaming Credentials
21. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 14:20 Warskull

Stanly Manly wrote on May 27, 2010, 11:54:
Latest trend? There have been stolen WoW accounts since the game was released. However, I do recall a fairly recent email that looked very official, talking about verifying your WoW password, and even had an official looking link. Once you clicked on the link (or just moused over it) you saw that it took you to something like battle-com.net/wow or something, that wasn't the official blizzard site.

I didn't bother with that though, as I just received word that I won some international lottery that I don't ever recall entering, and that had me very excited to give away my personal information over the internet! See you suckers! I'm looking for my yacht right now!

The Asian gold farmers used to buy accounts to replace the ones that get banned. They've shifted to very aggressively hacking accounts and using them to farm gold instead. The number of hacked accounts is significantly on the rise.

It is much lower risk for them because they pay nothing for the account and if the account gets reclaimed or banned they reverse the charges for game time.

The other big difference, is they aren't relying solely on user error. They've begun exploiting the security of the companies that run the MMO too. A number of NCsoft accounts were taken over via security flaws in their website.

News Comments > Warner Sued for Antipiracy Piracy
7. Re: Warner Sued for Antipiracy Piracy May 26, 2010, 14:17 Warskull

Cthulhu wrote on May 26, 2010, 13:41:
I'm really kinda surprised that Medien Patent Verwaltung waited for 6 years, hoping that Warner Bros. would send them a paycheck....either they were very trusting or incredibly stupid.

Maybe they just wanted Warner to use it more, so they could sue for more.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 10:29 Warskull

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 07:04:
As for Uwe Boll, I think he has literally NEVER made a good movie in his life. I don't get it at all what he's still doing in the movie business. I guess most of you haven't seen "In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale"? Trust me, you'd rather die.

He's had a crazy Producers-esque thing going on with German tax law. The whole investment ends up a massive tax write-off and is an even bigger tax write off if it fails. I think they finally fixed the law a year or two ago.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 01:23 Warskull

Bhruic wrote on May 23, 2010, 17:37:
Anyone who claims Mortal Kombat was decent and Hitman was bad has automatically lost their argument. Mortal Kombat was an ok camp movie. But it was, without question, a crappy movie. And Hitman, while certainly not great, or even good, was definitely ok - and much better than MK.

I'm not so sure he's calling Hitman bad. He might be saying it was negatively affected by Uwe Boll's crap giving game movies a bad reputation. Its hard to tell, its not written that well and it seems he just wanted to cram as many links in as possible.

I agree that Hitman wasn't bad. Mortal Kombat was bad, but could be enjoyed in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. Hitman wasn't a great movie, but it could be enjoyed as an action movie. If you gave it a different name it would still be a watchable action movie.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2010, 03:38 Warskull

Another load of BS about what PCs need to be or what developers need to do.

Its easy too, just stop treating PC gamers like second rate customers. Your ports suck, that's why PC gamers say they suck, that's why your sales on the PC sag. It isn't the evil pirates, it isn't PC gaming dying, it is that half the industry is trying to sell an inferior product to PC gamers. Then they expect us to smile and thank them for it.

If you want to make money on the PC, design a product that excels on the PC. Valve does it, Blizzard does it, they aren't hurting for money. Even EA simply stating "we have dedicated servers" and taking 5 minutes to think about the PC experience for BF:BC2 resulted in their game doing well on the PC. The little ways they cut corners (no push to talk, no dedicated servers, menus that don't use the mouse) make a big difference.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Launches Wednesday
10. Re: Heroes of Newerth Launches Wednesday May 10, 2010, 23:20 Warskull

The DotA community really is one of the worst out there. Part of it is due to a weak player helping the enemy team, but another part of it is how it was grown out of the Battle.net custom game players.

I would hold out for Valve's foray into the DotA market.

News Comments > Rebellion Woes?
8. Re: Rebellion Woes? May 10, 2010, 23:12 Warskull

Rigs wrote on May 10, 2010, 22:11:
Oh for Geezus' sake, anyone else want to implode while we're here?!? Get it over with? No? Gonna save it for next weeks obits? Rolleyes

We don't have to wait for PC gaming to die, all the companies that support it will die first!

Is it really that hard to keep a gaming company afloat in a rough economy? This isn't the first recession the industry has had to endure. WTF?

=-Rigs-=

It is if you make shitty games. People don't have the money to waste on crappy games and have to be more discerning with their purchases.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Easy Button May 5, 2010, 13:54 Warskull

I don't believe it is really about an easy button, but about creating a good distilled gaming experience. There are fun parts of games and there are parts that are stupid. If you have a very limited amount of time to play games wouldn't you want that 1 hour a week to be fun? Many games pad their length with uninteresting gameplay, its kind of like if you only had 1 hour to watch television a week, so you watched your favorite show. However, lately it has just been doing nothing but clip-shows and reruns.

I've found my taste in games has been refined and my tolerance for bullshit has decreased over time. These days you have a lot of games to choose from so why keep playing a mediocre game you don't enjoy.

Playing Dragon Age 1 hour a week would suck, because more often than not that 1 hour wouldn't have any enjoyable moments in your 1 hour play session. You have to play Dragon Age for a significant amount of time to get any payoff.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October
11. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II in October May 4, 2010, 22:20 Warskull

The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2010, 21:51:
FU (heh) had a REALLY good story/voice acting/etc but the controls were just obnoxious. Just take the engine, get rid of the quick time events (so I can watch the action not for button presses), and put in the Jedi Knight control scheme and I'd be happy.

The engine was pretty clunky and glitchy too. I remember getting stuck in terrain a couple of times. I imagine the sequel will be just as half-assed as the original.

News Comments > EQ2 Passport Interview
4. Re: EQ2 Passport Interview May 4, 2010, 22:17 Warskull

Downer28 wrote on May 4, 2010, 20:48:
Hmm. Now this is interesting. So, you get 72 hours of play time over 30 days for just $5? I think this is perfect for someone like me who doesn't want to pay the full price, but wants to play casually. I wish other MMOs did this.

EDIT: Ahh, it's 3 consecutive days. Okay, that kind of sucks.

Yeah, at first I thought it was like you described. It didn't seem like a bad idea, but 1 weekend ever 30 days doesn't seem like a very good deal. In fact it seems like a pretty stupid pricing scheme.

I think a number of the marginal MMOs could do good with a scheme that let you buy a reasonably large amount of hours and play at your own place. Especially if it didn't expire until used up.

News Comments > Alpha Protocol DRM Details
22. Re: Alpha Protocol DRM Details May 3, 2010, 02:10 Warskull

Its alright DRM, hopefully they patch it out after a while. I'm disappointed that they are using their DRM over steamworks for the steam version. I'll probably not buy this at release as a result.  

News Comments > New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated]
16. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 21:23 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 16:44:
The visuals definitely have that Korean/Japanese feel to it. So, no, I won't be giving it another look. You knock yourself out though, sport.

No they don't, its a game made by a company in Seattle. Its about as Asian looking as World of Warcraft.

News Comments > Stolen SF4 Footage Sought
13. Re: Stolen SF4 Footage Sought Apr 24, 2010, 20:54 Warskull

Dev wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 19:13:
Another reason to do backups of stuff.

I'm not trying to minimize anything and the thief is a total douchebag, but its a good idea to backup anything thats "irreplacable"

You can't really back it up while you are making it.

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
18. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 17, 2010, 15:00 Warskull

The concept of "paid demos" actually could be good if they handled it right. Release a small chunk of your game for $5-10, then allow the player to unlock the rest for $40. The key is the money put into the "demo" must go towards the full purchase. Basically, make the full game, but release it episodically. The total cost of the 3-4 episode would be equal to the total cost of the game. This would encourage them to make their game quality the whole way through, so people don't stop half-way through.

That said, this is EA, so they are just going to screw the customer over.

News Comments > Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam
6. Re: Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam Apr 14, 2010, 23:18 Warskull

It's terrible, you are better off just playing some TF2. Levels make way too much of a difference and the game play is mediocre.  

News Comments > Cryptic Studios Interview
5. Re: Cryptic Studios Interview Apr 12, 2010, 15:07 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 10:12:
"Bill Roper has gone from executive producer on Champions Online to Cryptic's chief creative officer"

How the fuck does that Jackhole keep managing to climb the ladder?

I gotta start doing FAIL after FAIL and see if I can make more money.

...not.

Maybe they can't fire him so they are trying to promote him to a position where he can be ignored.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2010, 20:44 Warskull

Really, the best way to figure out if a game will be good or bad is to look at a developer's previous releases. Bad game developers make bad games, good game developers make good games. A recent example of this, the new AvP game. Rebellion's last decent game was the original AvP, then its been a steady stream of shovelware. The new AvP turned out to be mediocre at best.

As for metacritic, its not useless. If a mainstream/advertised game scored below a 70% it is almost guaranteed to be bad. Reviewers fall over themselves to hype a game and give it good score in hopes of getting screenshots and video from the developer. They rarely rate stuff below an 8. If they rate an advertised/hyped game low, you know it has to be really bad. However, you good scores mean nothing.

For more inde/obscure games, reviews aren't really useful at all.

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes
3. Re: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes Mar 20, 2010, 18:13 Warskull

Tumbler wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 16:31:
The balance in the MP game right now is horrid. The ranged weaponry of marines and chaos is outstanding, and both the h2h races are basically cannon fodder. The orks are absolutely terrible. the nids aren't as bad off but still need some love, eldar are good, and marines and chaos are godly.

This is relic. Honestly, what did you expect? They haven't bothered to balance their games in a long time.

433 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo