Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights
30. Re: Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights Oct 22, 2010, 20:05 Warskull

I have to agree with the sentiment that for the most part MMOs suck. The leveling is incredibly boring and the mechanics/design tend to be weak. They usually use addictive leveling and drop mechanics to keep people around. Furthermore when you step away from WoW, things get really ugly.

The big problem is people keep trying to use 10 year old MMOs as templates. Most of the design and ideas that went into those original MMOs have been surpassed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners?
34. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 19, 2010, 17:41 Warskull

Jackplug wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:59:
Borderlands is a fantastic game, I loved every minute of it.

However Duke Nukem will be a bag of utter shit and it will last all of about 10 minutes of playing before you throw it away.

I think you are wrong on this one. If they are offering an early access demo, they probably have some confidence in their game.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2010, 21:40 Warskull

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 20:49:

I wish they'd put the first couple of Dragon Warrior games on the VC. It's the first ones I thought of when they announced the VC, and they're still not on there, years later. I can only assume it's a rights issue.

If you really want some classic RPG action, get yourself a DS, or hold out for a 3DS. They re-released most of the DW and FF games for it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - CitiesXL 2011
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - CitiesXL 2011 Oct 17, 2010, 01:09 Warskull

So... they took the massive failure that was Cities XL, tried to fix the bugs, but didn't, and release it as a new game? What were they thinking?  

News Comments > Games/TV and "Significant Psychological Difficulties"
14. Re: Games/TV and Oct 11, 2010, 16:13 Warskull

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 12:15:
The crappiest part of studies like this is that the media will make uninformed claims just to sell their magazines/papers/ad blogs. Then people like disbarred attorney Jack Thompson will grind their axe in conservative talk shows until some idiot congressman up for reelection proposes a stupid law in the name of keeping children safe.

The media is always making uninformed sensationalist claims these days. Reading science is hard, picking out one inconclusive mention that isn't even supported by the study itself and going crazy with it is easy and gets ratings. That's how the autism vaccination thing got started. The report they sourced it from didn't even support the link and said it was most likely an anomaly with not enough evidence to support it.

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
14. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 14:58 Warskull

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:25:
The only service I like is D2D or similar. Steam is only hurting PC gaming, and so are any other similar forms of DRM, dressed like "advantages for the customer".

You know those huge sales you enjoy buying games through D2D? Steam came up with that and via competition forced all the other digital delivery services to start using aggressive sales. PC Gamers as a whole won out.

Steam actually does add a lot of value.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2010, 19:54 Warskull

DG wrote on Oct 3, 2010, 18:31:
I'm enjoying it but it needs quite a bit of work with the AI and balance. Not much new there mind you, and if the previous games are anything to go by it's likely to get a lot of support.

I think its going in the right direction though. It feels more stream lined and designed as a game first. Previous versions feel more like they added a bunch of options to parody history first and turning them into a game was second.

Waiting to buy it wouldn't be a bad move, but in a few expansions it should get rather good.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 15:56 Warskull

PropheT wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 14:41:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 11:03:
Is this like the first one, where stuff is timed? Ie, you have to be here at a certain time, you have to be there at a certain time, you can only take so long to do this, etc.?

If so, I think I'll pass. I hate that feeling of "hurry up" when playing a game. I get enough of that shit at work.

Creston

That time management is exactly why I like the game. The entire process of what you do gains a sense of urgency that other games just don't impart when you're free to do what you want whenever you want.

I agree here, without the time sensitive missions and weapon durability you don't have much of a game. Plus people are forgetting that you can just ignore the missions and beat on zombies until your 72 hours are up if you want a sandbox mode. Part of the fun was taking what you learned from your previous run and using that to plot a better course and get better at the game.

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
19. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 04:26 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 22:32:
He's flat out lying or delusional, take your pick.

He's right, even if he is exaggerating and possibly high when he made the comment. Games need to be designed from the ground up with their controls in mind.

The console FPS base has exceeded the PC FPS base, even if PC FPS games are still superior. Console FPS players will buy almost anything.

News Comments > GOG.com in Flux
23. Re: GOG.com in Flux Sep 19, 2010, 21:06 Warskull

Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2010, 20:14:
If this is a stunt, I might just fly to Poland (or wherever their headquarters is) and lace their water supply with a million pounds of Ex-Lax. Gog.com is my oasis of zen, peace, and happiness in a gaming world that has gone mad with greed and incompetence. THEY CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!

What? You want to know what I'm doing with a million pounds of Ex-Lax? That's not the point!!! (Figures the ONE contest I win in my lifetime...)

The stunt idea is based on one of the CD Projekt guys posting on a financial forum telling people not to worry about it. There is also apparently a lot of action with their shares right now. It is entirely possible they've been bought and a major change in the stores philosophy may occur. So it may come back, but DRM-free, customer friendly GOG could also be dead forever.

News Comments > Capcom Financials
2. Re: Capcom Financials Sep 18, 2010, 13:48 Warskull

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 19:01:
How is digital distribution a negative for the industry money-making-wise? I don't get that.

I think they mean that that digital distribution is on the rise and they didn't release enough games that way.

News Comments > Elemental Patched
22. Re: Elemental Patched Sep 18, 2010, 13:15 Warskull

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 18, 2010, 12:26:
Well I took what I could get, but I am here to tell you...I AM DONE WITH STARDOCK! They used to have my highest respect, but after getting the shaft with Demigod and now this piece of bantha poodoo, I am done with Stardock, Brad Wardell, and Impulse.

They have lost this customer for life.
I'm sure they'll terribly miss the drama queens they lose. Where will all the wailing and gnashing of teeth come from on the forums? Really, if I bailed on every company that fucked up like this, I'd have to quit gaming altogether.

From what I've heard from others, Demigod turned out pretty good after a while. I never bought it since it's not really my thing. I'm willing to wait and see how this game turns out too. Between the fixes they make and the moddability of it, I'm sure I'll end up with something that's pretty good. I've got plenty to play in the meantime.

If you bailed on every company that fucked up like this, you would have bailed on Stardock and Ubisoft. That's about it.

Demigod just plain died, it did not turn out good.

When you suck up to a company that takes your money and gives you a non-functional product you just encourage them to do it again. You'll get exactly what you deserve when you go buy their next game and it is also a half-finished buggy mess.

News Comments > Blizzard on Cheating
5. Re: Blizzard on Cheating Sep 14, 2010, 21:44 Warskull

elefunk wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 20:24:
Banning in bulk makes it much more difficult for hack developers to figure out exactly how their detection algorithms work. They can just try something....get banned. Try another thing...don't get banned, guess that worked...build off that...etc.

Plus, it scares a shitload more amateurs if they suddenly see a news store "200,000 people banned in one fell swoop!" Might turn away some casual hackers from doing anything in the first place.

If people buy another copy every 6 months, I'm sure Blizzard doesn't mind that either...

Yeah, but it is also does little to keep the cheats under control. You can ban in waves, but Blizzard usually waits 3-6 months before they ban people. They usually do the banning as a PR move too. They can at least bump it up to a monthly ban.

News Comments > Steam Wallet Beta
16. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 04:53 Warskull

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 22:59:
This serves absolutely no fucking purpose whatsoever. What kind of benefit does this offer over, say, a credit card? Or Paypal? None.

Coming up next, fucking Steampoints.

Creston

I expect this is only the first step. I wouldn't be surprised to see steam cards show up in retail establishments allowing those without credit cards or paypal to purchase things, mainly kids. It also is a step towards allowing micropayments in game.

We are also likely to see gifting steam cash directly.

News Comments > BRINK Video Diary
2. Re: BRINK Video Diary Sep 7, 2010, 19:44 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 12:12:
Demo?

It is not out until 2011, probably a bit early to talk demo.

News Comments > Stardock On Elemental's Future
7. Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Sep 6, 2010, 15:56 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2010, 13:23:
The guy knows how to spin shit, I'll give him that. Too bad he doesn't know shit about games and gaming.

I think he missed his calling, he shouldn't be making games. He should be doing PR for some politician.

News Comments > Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted
31. Re: Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted Sep 4, 2010, 23:45 Warskull

Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 20:41:
That's a problem with game developers right now frankly, you should be able to survive one disappointing game better than this.

Agreed, the industry in general needs to re-examine its revenue models when a single game's performance so drastically affects the lives of so many people. Even in a perfect world where every game scored 9+ on Metacritic you still cannot sell 1mil+ every time.

Some of the more recent studio failings is for developers basically going all in and spending a massive amount on their game and then flopping hard. I completely agree that something is wrong and developers probably need to scale back spending. You can only have so many AAA blockbusters at once.

News Comments > Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted
4. Re: Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted Sep 4, 2010, 15:34 Warskull

UConnBBall wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 15:19:
OK so Elemental caused people there to be layoffs and then this beauty: No one involved on the core components of Elemental is affected.

Um aren't the people responsible being hurt? Nope

Also how does Stardock not have vats of money after tiny team games sold millions?

I think the problem with that, is that person primarily responsible for Elemental's failure is likely Brad himself. He owns the company so he's not going anywhere.

News Comments > On Stardock's Elemental Launch Fail
10. Re: On Stardock's Elemental Launch Fail Sep 3, 2010, 13:22 Warskull

Prez wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 12:17:
Like or him or not, you have to admit that Brad owns up to his own mistakes. Just as important as doing so is learning from them; hopefully there will be no "Stardock Fail" in this area.

The issue is that Brad doesn't seem to actually learn from his mistakes. This is two catastrophic launches in a row. So give him some time, he'll get delusion again, and repeat it all with the next game.

News Comments > Team 17 Goes Digital-Only
10. Re: Team 17 Goes Digital-Only Aug 30, 2010, 18:42 Warskull

Most of the reduced price is via sales. Steam regularly puts things on sale for crazy prices.

At the same time prices drop a bit slower for digital distribution. The developers also get a lot more money by cutting out the publishers.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo