Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 445 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 1, 2013, 21:53 Warskull

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:15:
You guys must exist in a very data sparse environment. My monthly traffic is ~50TB a month.

That's ~50,000 GB, I somehow doubt you are moving that much data in one month. 10GB a movie is probably a generous estimate for bluray quality rips. At that rate you would have to download 500 movies in a month. That would be 16.6 movies per day. Netflix puts their highest quality HD in at 2.8GB/hr. That would be 17,857 hours of netflix or 744 days of straight netflix. You would need 24 copies of netflix running 24/7 for a month to pull that off.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking TB for GB? Remember 1 TB = 1,024 GB.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 21:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > War of the Vikings Closed Alpha
4. Re: War of the Vikings Closed Alpha Aug 22, 2013, 21:07 Warskull

Axis wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:11:
WOTR is more enjoyable long term and had a deeper strategy.
Chivalry is more enjoyable initially and was more accessible for newbies.

Chivalry is actually much deeper. Sure you have directional acting and blocking, but that doesn't result in depth. It just looks like it. The problem is that War of the Roses lacks stamina and it is almost always better to attack than try to parry. The result is WotR has surprisingly shallow gameplay.

Meanwhile Chivalry allows players to dynamically adjust attacks, parrying is intuitive, and swinging wildly will run you out of stamina and leave you open. Its combat system is much deeper than first glance. It is also a more intuitive system so it ends up being friendlier to new players.

News Comments > War of the Vikings Closed Alpha
1. Re: War of the Vikings Closed Alpha Aug 22, 2013, 15:36 Warskull

So another awful game from Fatshark?  

News Comments > LoL Players Athletes
17. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 11:51 Warskull

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 01:50:
Esoteric wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 00:27:
Even if you don't like LoL or e-sports, how would it negatively affect you in any manner whatsoever?

Where do I say it negatively affects me in any manner? I just say that it's retarded that people who sit on their asses and play videogames are considered to be 'athletes.'

And to focus on the word "athlete" is a bit silly, as chess is considered a sport, and the players are "athletes" as well. Same goes for billiards and several other activities I'm sure people would find questionable.

Chess is considered a GAME, not a sport, and its players are most assuredly not considered athletes. Neither are billiards players. Neither, for that matter, are golfers.

Creston

Chess is referenced in this law and the word athlete is used. That's just the way the law is written. It is a visa for "athletes and entertainers." It doesn't mean the government thinks LoL is an athletic endeavor. It just means they think people should be able to come to the US to participate in tournaments and changing the wording of the law to be "athlete or competitor" would be too much of a pain.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
10. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 18:24 Warskull

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 16:55:
Maybe the next Atlus will actually give a damn about bringing Japanese games to the US and EU regions.. FOR PC. ^^

I think that is more a function of how the PC gaming market was never as strong in Japan. Japanese developers don't usually bother making PC games.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
8. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 13:15 Warskull

El Pit wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 11:41:
Wow! You guys know Atlus? When I read the headline, I was like "WHO?" Seems they release JRPGs, and that's why I don't know them. So, I hope for the fans of JRPGs that they can be "rehabilitated".

Atlus does JRPGs, but they aren't just JRPGs. They create and translate quirky Japanese games. Their games tend to be very unique. It can be nice to play something different from time to time, hence why losing Atlus would suck. They are the company willing to take risks on things no one else would. As mentioned they brought Demon's Souls to countries outside of Japan when no one else thought it could succeed.

News Comments > Valve Rumor Bonanza
18. Re: Valve Rumor Bonanza Jun 20, 2013, 02:36 Warskull

Beelzebud wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 01:59:
Ravenholm was one of my favorite parts about Half Life 2. That being said, I'm not sure how much mileage you could get out of an entire game based around it.

I agree, Ravenholm was the best designed sequence of HL2. People may not have like the horror theme, but it had the most interesting interactive physics in the game. All the little traps you could use were very well done.

News Comments > Battle for Graxia Ending
5. Re: Battle for Graxia Ending Jun 10, 2013, 12:00 Warskull

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 10:06:
That was fast, holy shit.

Battle for Graxia was just a rebrand of Rise of Immortals. They were probably hoping the new name and relaunch would attract new players. It was most likely a last ditch effort. So really, the game was out and failing for a while now.

News Comments > Blood Bowl 2 Announced
4. Re: Blood Bowl 2 Announced Jun 6, 2013, 11:50 Warskull

Yakubs wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:22:
There's no reason to buy this. You can play multiplayer Blood Bowl for free on FUMBBL. Whereas, with Cyanide's Blood Bowl, you get a buggy game with a really weak online community and a 3D gameboard that makes it incredibly difficult to see what's going on. Why spend money for a worse product?

I just don't see what they can add to a sequel at this point. They added a ton of races in their previous version. Blood Bowl is ultimately a board game though, and they are working off Games Workshop's rules. It isn't like they can invent new races and rules.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 2, 2013, 16:24 Warskull

This is old information from February. It isn't really worth anything. In fact the way he said it makes it sound like publishers have the option to block used sales (and if given the option, they will.)  

News Comments > The Flock Announced
5. Re: The Flock Announced May 30, 2013, 13:24 Warskull

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:39:
So it's just CTF then?

Seriously why do people waste their time and money making stuff like this? 'Hey! You what'll sell a bazillion copies?! A shitty looking multiplayer only game that only has one mode...CTF! Huh? Huh? Awesome, right!?'

It's murderball not CTF. FFA, everyone tries to kill the guy with the ball.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
12. Re: U.K. Sales Charts May 28, 2013, 11:28 Warskull

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:25:
Even if the stats represent only a portion of the market, the fact that SimCity does that well in any segment is truly disappointing.

Exactly my point. The UK is a statistically significantly large market that we can extrapolate that its doing pretty well in other markets around the world.

Not necessarily, there are only rankings, no real numbers were provided. The video game market is very spikey. When a major game is released it will sell a large amount of copies very quickly. Between major releases it doesn't take much effort to get on the radar.

You also have to consider the state of PC retail, especially in the UK. Those stores abandoned PC gaming ages ago. They probably only have a handful of games from the largest publishers.

As for the digital sales, we know there are irrelevant because Steam doesn't report their sales figures and steam is by far the largest digital distributor on the market.

These numbers are only telling us who is a big fish in a small pond. The Steam top 10 and Steam stats are where the real info stands.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:44 Warskull

Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:22:
Redmask wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:08:
Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 09:55:
It's still too early to say "told ya so" with regards to how well the Wii U will fare, but we're getting closer...

Xbone has been nintendo's MVP thus far...

The Wii U was outsold by the Wii last month, yeah I would say it's 'still too far'. Predictions without figures are meaningless anyway. What year, how many sales, what profit level, etc. Anyone can say 'well this might happen..someday'.

Well most everyone was saying the Wii U is doomed (another thing 'anyone' can say) while I know better.

Come Christmas, you will know better too

Everyone should know better than saying Nintendo is doomed at this point. People have calling it over for Nintendo since the rise of the Playstation. The Wii and DS ended up exploding. People said the 3DS was dead 6 months after release, yet it is now on track to outsell the Wii.

The Wii U certainly has some formidable obstacles in its path, but saying anything other than "we'll see" with Nintendo at this point is silly. Although they really should have just named it the Wii 2. It's not too late to rebrand.

Microsoft on the other hand is in a scarier situation. The X360/PS4 are essentially the same console. Sure there are technical differences, but they tend to share a majority of their game library. The same is probably going to be true for the XB1/PS4, unless one of the two has some absolutely killer exclusives. The two are fighting over the exact same market share and either one can lose a large chunk of their share with a major mistake.

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
14. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 11:11 Warskull

Fantaz wrote on May 23, 2013, 10:19:
InBlack wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:51:
Pretty sure that I know who will be purchasing the Total Annihilation IP...or at least bidding on it.
Gas Powered Games?

Actually, I would think Uber Entertainment is more likely to gobble it up. They have former Cavedog/GPG employees and are currently making a Total Annihilation inspired game. It would be a huge boon for them to gobble up the name for a mere $250,000. Especially after their last game bombed pretty hard.

News Comments > Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders
2. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders May 23, 2013, 10:56 Warskull

Julio wrote on May 23, 2013, 10:53:
Good game in it's prime, but it's done now. They should be working on a sequel instead.

I highly doubt they can. Neverwinter is an MMO and Cryptic/Perfect Worlds seems to have the D&D rights now.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 22, 2013, 19:49 Warskull

panbient wrote on May 22, 2013, 19:12:
I know they'd never post it but I'd really REALLY like to know what the Diablo 3 retention rate was after the launch week / 1st month / quarter. Has it started going up again yet?

You don't post stats that look that bad. Their retention rate after 3 months had to be awful. Even the most diehard Diablo fans I knew game up in 3 months.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
24. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 06:52 Warskull

Prez wrote on May 18, 2013, 14:02:
Wow, somebody isn't getting invited to the Nintendo Christmas party this year!

EA is probably still bitter about Nintendo choosing not to use Origin with the Wii U.

shihonage wrote on May 18, 2013, 23:30:
What goes around, comes around, Nintendo.

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Stop using Mario as your liferaft, stop the flood of shovelware on your consoles, and come up with some original IPs and protagonists. And do this 8 years ago.

Oh wai

You are just being dumb. The DS and now the 3DS actually have excellent lineups. First off, disregarding every single game made from Japan is just plain stupid. There is also a difference between a "kids game" and a game that is playable for all ages. An 'M' rating doesn't make a game good or even mature. You also proceed to bash Nintendo for using their main series (which they have more of than any other company), when currently the other consoles are flooded with yearly rehashes from the megapublishers. Nintendo at least tends to spread out their major franchises and works to make a quality game.

If you can't find some games that you enjoy for the DS/3DS you either have poor taste in games or you are just dismissing the system as a whole because it is cool to hate Nintendo right now.

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
38. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 20:58 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 18, 2013, 12:53:
Warskull wrote on May 18, 2013, 03:00:
It is because there is a perpetual influx of young people who want to make games because they think it will be a fun job. The megapublishers can hire them and pay them peanuts.

The industry in general has an immense disrespect for the people who make the games and a disrespect for talent. It is a major reason why you have so many mediocre games. People with experience all quit because you can't have a family (or life) while working in the industry.

Yeah, and that's just really, really fucked up. There should be a class in college when you're going for your game design or game programming degree, that's basically called "This Industry Fucking Sucks."

Seeing EA and its ilk continuously just shit all over young, naive people just because they can is pretty aggravating.

Creston

The US is strongly anti-union and there is that constant stream of young naive people, so I don't think it will stop any time soon. Just about the only thing that has a chance at bringing sanity to their workplace conditions would be the rise of indie titles. Even then it would be a longshot because the indie developers tend to be fairly small teams and don't hire like the megapublishers.

17. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 03:00 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:54:
I've never really ever had that urge to "make games", like so many other gamers do (or claim they do.) If anything, I always figured that if I ever got the say over what kind of game to make, every programmer would quit in disgust over my absurd requirements and list of features that I had to have.

Even so, I could have had the largest hankering in the world to make games, and I'd never go work in the fucking gaming industry. I think the fry cooks at McDonalds get treated with more respect than the unfortunate souls who work in this industry. (a few companies like Valve and Egosoft excepted.)

Why they continue to let themselves be treated this way is baffling...

Creston

It is because there is a perpetual influx of young people who want to make games because they think it will be a fun job. The megapublishers can hire them and pay them peanuts.

The industry in general has an immense disrespect for the people who make the games and a disrespect for talent. It is a major reason why you have so many mediocre games. People with experience all quit because you can't have a family (or life) while working in the industry.

9. Re: Trion Layoffs May 17, 2013, 23:21 Warskull

cocoreno wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:01:
Good riddance to this company!

I don't see why Trion deserves 'riddance'. They've done a decent job pushing the industry forward and Rift is a solid MMO, albeit too late to the game.

I realize your personality revels in schadenfreude, but I don't think Trion is an appropriate target.

Rift was mediocre at best.

445 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo