Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 435 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > The Flock Announced
5. Re: The Flock Announced May 30, 2013, 13:24 Warskull

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:39:
So it's just CTF then?

Seriously why do people waste their time and money making stuff like this? 'Hey! You what'll sell a bazillion copies?! A shitty looking multiplayer only game that only has one mode...CTF! Huh? Huh? Awesome, right!?'

It's murderball not CTF. FFA, everyone tries to kill the guy with the ball.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
12. Re: U.K. Sales Charts May 28, 2013, 11:28 Warskull

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:25:
Even if the stats represent only a portion of the market, the fact that SimCity does that well in any segment is truly disappointing.

Exactly my point. The UK is a statistically significantly large market that we can extrapolate that its doing pretty well in other markets around the world.

Not necessarily, there are only rankings, no real numbers were provided. The video game market is very spikey. When a major game is released it will sell a large amount of copies very quickly. Between major releases it doesn't take much effort to get on the radar.

You also have to consider the state of PC retail, especially in the UK. Those stores abandoned PC gaming ages ago. They probably only have a handful of games from the largest publishers.

As for the digital sales, we know there are irrelevant because Steam doesn't report their sales figures and steam is by far the largest digital distributor on the market.

These numbers are only telling us who is a big fish in a small pond. The Steam top 10 and Steam stats are where the real info stands.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:44 Warskull

Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:22:
Redmask wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:08:
Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 09:55:
It's still too early to say "told ya so" with regards to how well the Wii U will fare, but we're getting closer...

Xbone has been nintendo's MVP thus far...

The Wii U was outsold by the Wii last month, yeah I would say it's 'still too far'. Predictions without figures are meaningless anyway. What year, how many sales, what profit level, etc. Anyone can say 'well this might happen..someday'.

Well most everyone was saying the Wii U is doomed (another thing 'anyone' can say) while I know better.

Come Christmas, you will know better too

Everyone should know better than saying Nintendo is doomed at this point. People have calling it over for Nintendo since the rise of the Playstation. The Wii and DS ended up exploding. People said the 3DS was dead 6 months after release, yet it is now on track to outsell the Wii.

The Wii U certainly has some formidable obstacles in its path, but saying anything other than "we'll see" with Nintendo at this point is silly. Although they really should have just named it the Wii 2. It's not too late to rebrand.

Microsoft on the other hand is in a scarier situation. The X360/PS4 are essentially the same console. Sure there are technical differences, but they tend to share a majority of their game library. The same is probably going to be true for the XB1/PS4, unless one of the two has some absolutely killer exclusives. The two are fighting over the exact same market share and either one can lose a large chunk of their share with a major mistake.

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
14. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 11:11 Warskull

Fantaz wrote on May 23, 2013, 10:19:
InBlack wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:51:
Pretty sure that I know who will be purchasing the Total Annihilation IP...or at least bidding on it.
Gas Powered Games?

Actually, I would think Uber Entertainment is more likely to gobble it up. They have former Cavedog/GPG employees and are currently making a Total Annihilation inspired game. It would be a huge boon for them to gobble up the name for a mere $250,000. Especially after their last game bombed pretty hard.

News Comments > Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders
2. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders May 23, 2013, 10:56 Warskull

Julio wrote on May 23, 2013, 10:53:
Good game in it's prime, but it's done now. They should be working on a sequel instead.

I highly doubt they can. Neverwinter is an MMO and Cryptic/Perfect Worlds seems to have the D&D rights now.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 22, 2013, 19:49 Warskull

panbient wrote on May 22, 2013, 19:12:
I know they'd never post it but I'd really REALLY like to know what the Diablo 3 retention rate was after the launch week / 1st month / quarter. Has it started going up again yet?

You don't post stats that look that bad. Their retention rate after 3 months had to be awful. Even the most diehard Diablo fans I knew game up in 3 months.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
24. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 06:52 Warskull

Prez wrote on May 18, 2013, 14:02:
Wow, somebody isn't getting invited to the Nintendo Christmas party this year!

EA is probably still bitter about Nintendo choosing not to use Origin with the Wii U.

shihonage wrote on May 18, 2013, 23:30:
What goes around, comes around, Nintendo.

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Stop using Mario as your liferaft, stop the flood of shovelware on your consoles, and come up with some original IPs and protagonists. And do this 8 years ago.

Oh wai

You are just being dumb. The DS and now the 3DS actually have excellent lineups. First off, disregarding every single game made from Japan is just plain stupid. There is also a difference between a "kids game" and a game that is playable for all ages. An 'M' rating doesn't make a game good or even mature. You also proceed to bash Nintendo for using their main series (which they have more of than any other company), when currently the other consoles are flooded with yearly rehashes from the megapublishers. Nintendo at least tends to spread out their major franchises and works to make a quality game.

If you can't find some games that you enjoy for the DS/3DS you either have poor taste in games or you are just dismissing the system as a whole because it is cool to hate Nintendo right now.

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
38. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 20:58 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 18, 2013, 12:53:
Warskull wrote on May 18, 2013, 03:00:
It is because there is a perpetual influx of young people who want to make games because they think it will be a fun job. The megapublishers can hire them and pay them peanuts.

The industry in general has an immense disrespect for the people who make the games and a disrespect for talent. It is a major reason why you have so many mediocre games. People with experience all quit because you can't have a family (or life) while working in the industry.

Yeah, and that's just really, really fucked up. There should be a class in college when you're going for your game design or game programming degree, that's basically called "This Industry Fucking Sucks."

Seeing EA and its ilk continuously just shit all over young, naive people just because they can is pretty aggravating.

Creston

The US is strongly anti-union and there is that constant stream of young naive people, so I don't think it will stop any time soon. Just about the only thing that has a chance at bringing sanity to their workplace conditions would be the rise of indie titles. Even then it would be a longshot because the indie developers tend to be fairly small teams and don't hire like the megapublishers.

17. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 03:00 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:54:
I've never really ever had that urge to "make games", like so many other gamers do (or claim they do.) If anything, I always figured that if I ever got the say over what kind of game to make, every programmer would quit in disgust over my absurd requirements and list of features that I had to have.

Even so, I could have had the largest hankering in the world to make games, and I'd never go work in the fucking gaming industry. I think the fry cooks at McDonalds get treated with more respect than the unfortunate souls who work in this industry. (a few companies like Valve and Egosoft excepted.)

Why they continue to let themselves be treated this way is baffling...

Creston

It is because there is a perpetual influx of young people who want to make games because they think it will be a fun job. The megapublishers can hire them and pay them peanuts.

The industry in general has an immense disrespect for the people who make the games and a disrespect for talent. It is a major reason why you have so many mediocre games. People with experience all quit because you can't have a family (or life) while working in the industry.

9. Re: Trion Layoffs May 17, 2013, 23:21 Warskull

cocoreno wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:01:
Good riddance to this company!

I don't see why Trion deserves 'riddance'. They've done a decent job pushing the industry forward and Rift is a solid MMO, albeit too late to the game.

I realize your personality revels in schadenfreude, but I don't think Trion is an appropriate target.

Rift was mediocre at best.

News Comments > Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed
19. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 12:21 Warskull

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:24:
Whats a MOBA?

MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. It is a very dumb genre name.

It means "DotA game", but the marketers at Riot didn't want to keep referring to League of Legends as DotA (despite the fact that is it their version of DotA.)

Personally, I prefer Valves "Action RTS", because someone who hears that will at least be thinking in the correct ballpark.

News Comments > Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming
22. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 12:44 Warskull

ViRGE wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:36:
What makes a studio a "DICE" studio? DICE is in Sweden. This seems like it's just a branded EA studio, to ride on the coattails of DICE's good name.

Well, the name Bioware has been sullied a bit as of lately, so they can't use it. Plus this studio was responsible for Medal of Honor:Warfighter, so they certainly can't have people remembering that. They ruined the Maxis name and Westwood name already. All they have left for rebranding is Dice and Popcap.

Looks like it is about time for EA to start acquiring some new studio names. Infogrames has been dead long enough that maybe the Atari name holds some weight again.

News Comments > Diablo III Turning One
10. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:33 Warskull

Did they ever get around to implementing the PvP? I know they worked on it. They really screwed this game up.  

News Comments > EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed
13. Re: EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed May 9, 2013, 13:19 Warskull

Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2013, 08:56:
BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2013, 08:53:
How does this equal massive layoffs exactly?
Gotta improve the numbers to get those executive bonuses rolling!

Executive bonuses want spikes in profit because greedy shareholders only make money when the share price spikes up. If a company doesn't grow, shares don't increase in value and shareholders don't make money. The best way to make money is spike your profits at the cost of long term viability, then dump your shares. The way the stock market works right now is kind of screwed up, it actively encourages businesses to run like crap.

Things would be very different if the market focused on stocks that pay dividends rather than the voting stocks that are effectively gambling these days.

News Comments > Diablo III Economy Follow-up
13. Re: Diablo III Economy Follow-up May 9, 2013, 10:50 Warskull

Closed Betas wrote on May 8, 2013, 20:41:
If you dupe gold on a game that features a real money marketplace. Are you not committing a counter-fitting crime? I'd be interested to see where a lawsuit could take this kind of cheating...

Nope, first off you aren't creating fake currency, he game is erroneously giving you more real currency than it should.

Second, it isn't actually a real money marketplace. Every single one forces you to swap your real money into "magic internet dollars" that are worthless. The marketplace then allows you to trade your "magic internet dollar" and Diablo gold. They argue constantly that no real economic activity is taking place (because they don't want taxed on each transaction.) Then some companies let you convert magic internet dollars back to real dollars.

News Comments > Battle for Graxia Launches
2. Re: Battle for Graxia Launches May 1, 2013, 10:15 Warskull

Axis wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:07:
Whoot -- Another 'dead before it started' Petroglyph game!!

I was going to say, didn't that release a DotA derivative just last year that bombed horrifically? Why are they trying the exact same thing again?

News Comments > Spamalot Unchained
29. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 04:08 Warskull

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 22:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 19:29:
Kickstart an MMO so that I can then pay monthly fees? Sure, let me get my wallet...

Creston

This is exactly what I challenged Mark Jacobs with multiple times, and despite his huge amount of open talk with players, he has not said one word about it.

Subscriptions are there because they supposedly justify the monthly new content and suchs mmorpgs get (supposedly). An mmorpg, without PvE, focused 99% around PvP, cant really have content updates. So basically your subs go to giving the devs steak dinners every night.

Again, I challenge Jacobs to prove otherwise.

You can have content updates for PvP oriented games.

That said, I don't exactly have much faith in Mark Jacobs. Warhammer Online was horrible and he was massively out of touch with the state of the game. He has become another relic, riding on his past MMO success.

MMOs are extremely expensive and the fastest way to sink a studio. $2 million hardly seems like enough to bring an MMO to market. This seems like a kickstarter that is very unlikely to produce a good product.

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
15. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:02 Warskull

2K Marin isn't exactly a pedigree studio. Bioshock 2 was significantly weaker than its predecessor. They've mostly succeeded by riding the coattails of Irrational Games.

I don't think this game will necessarily be bad, but it probably won't be good. It will most likely land in that bland, forgettable, uninspiring middle ground. The long development cycle is a bit concerning too.

This is definitely one of those games where you wait for the trustworthy reviewers and most likely pick it up on sale.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Next Month
3. Re: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Next Month Apr 24, 2013, 22:18 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 21:46:
Still playing this Quboid?

This is the kind of game I don't think you ever really stop playing. You might take a break, but you'll be back.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
59. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 20:15 Warskull

While Gearbox deserves every bit of criticism for Aliens:Colonial Marine, it really isn't fair to pin Duke Nukem Forever on them. That failure is squarely on the shoulders of 3D Realms.

People were asking to have Duke Nukem Forever pushed out after 3D Realms finally shuttered. We all knew the game was probably terrible after being stuck in development help for so long.

Now A:CM, Gearbox should be ashamed of that game for the rest of their lives.

435 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo