Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Conan Going Free-to-Play
10. Re: Age of Conan Going Free-to-Play May 25, 2011, 14:30 Warskull

Did they add a micropayment option to make the game fun?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free ECA Membership
2. Re: Free ECA Membership May 25, 2011, 03:30 Warskull

ECA are scum. They claim to support consumers rights, but at best do nothing. If you want to support an organization for the rights of gamers, support the EFF.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2011, 17:45 Warskull

nin wrote on May 22, 2011, 16:41:
Anyone tried Terraria? Looks kinda neat...

It doesn't have as much staying power as minecraft, but is kind of fun. It is worth $10.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2011, 15:31 Warskull

I would agree that most of the reviewers don't get Brink at all. Most reviewers are notoriously bad at reviewing multiplayer and/or competitively oriented games anyway.

They did end up with roughly the rights scores, even if it was for the wrong reasons. The game was released in a horribly buggy state and unfortunately the maps tend to suck. The best of the maps can be described as "playable" and not good. A shooter with bad maps is unfortunately a bad shooter.

The game is losing players at a staggering rate.

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
27. Re: Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No May 16, 2011, 15:44 Warskull

I hope they handle it better than DA2 where if you are male every other male suddenly turns gay and if you are female every other female suddenly wants to sleep with you. I think it makes the characters weaker. I like how in ME2, some characters just aren't interested in sex with Shepard.  

News Comments > Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned
21. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 05:10 Warskull

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 03:12:
What drivers are you using Jerykk? I have a single 4870 using the 11.2 drivers and everything is perfectly smooth for me.

I'm using the 11.5a hotfix drivers which were supposedly designed specifically for BRINK. Still runs like ass, though.

When I tried the 11.5a drivers they made the game run worse. A lot of people are reporting better performance without them. Also try turning ambient occlusion off or shadows off. I think it is g_shadows 0.

This most recent patch was a vast improvement for me. It is not perfect, but a huge step in the right direction.

News Comments > Eden Games on Strike
11. Re: Eden Games on Strike May 11, 2011, 16:22 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 11, 2011, 14:25:
This can be summarized as follows:

Game developers on strike because they are being treated exactly the same as they have been treated for the past fifteen years (And never said a fucking peep.)

You'll forgive me for not caring about your plight, Eden Games. You're the idiots that signed the contract that explicitly states "Atari has the right to rape you up the ass / mouth / ear / other convenient hole at its sole discretion."

Don't like your work conditions? Find another job, and this time pay attention to what the contract says before you put your fucking signature on it.

Creston

Get another job somewhere else in the industry that will treat them exactly the same? It is everywhere. If you have talent, you should probably leave the games industry, you could get paid better everywhere else. Yes, they should have been complaining about it 10 or so years ago. However, it is good to see a studio finally trying to stand up for itself.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Brink
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Brink May 10, 2011, 13:58 Warskull

DangerDog wrote on May 10, 2011, 13:00:
It's not a bad game, but nothing epic. I'm not having any technical issues with the game, I applaud Splash Damage for putting a decent UI into the game, and they get a brownie button for letting you disable motion blur from the menu.

ATI cards have a lot of issue with this game right now, so ATI users beware.

Fov reverts whenever you sprint in multi, but temporarily.

News Comments > Obsidian on Glitchy Games
4. Re: Obsidian on Glitchy Games May 9, 2011, 13:55 Warskull

Creston wrote on May 9, 2011, 13:47:
"From the standpoint of Dungeon Siege III, we've been working very hard to make sure it doesn't happen again. We've been playing and playing and playing and playing to ensure it's of a high standard.

So, basically, with all your previous games you never did that? Great. That's just awesome.

/no interest in DS3.

Creston

You can forgive Obsidian for some of their buggy games. KotoR II was clearly not their fault, it wasn't finished and the publisher shipped it anyway. Alpha Protocol and New Vegas on the other hand are much more their fault.

News Comments > Fighting Game Fan Fights Lag
2. Re: Fighting Game Fan Fights Lag Apr 23, 2011, 19:12 Warskull

blyrrh wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 17:28:
The article doesn't seem to explain what is going on very well, but from what I can tell, this just seems to be pretty standard client-side hit detection. Is something else interesting going on here?

If you are refering to FPS games, they utilize a prediction model. The predict where a player will be and utilize client side hit detection. That doesn't work for fighting games because they are far too timing oriented.

GGPO tracks the state of the game so it can go back in time to correct the game and adds a small, nearly invisible delay to all moves to act as a buffer. That way your move has 2-3 frames to reach the opponent before it gets there late and the game has to roll back.

This article has a bit more on it.

GGPO really is amazing. Fighting games are downright near unplayable online without it.

News Comments > PC Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition in July
3. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition in July Apr 12, 2011, 11:45 Warskull

linfosoma wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 11:43:
Seriously Capcom? AE only? Frack you, I've been supporting every PC game you released, I pre-ordered SF4, RE5 and DR2 and now you repay my support with this?
Thanks for nothing.

AE edition is the next step after Super, the PC version will probably be a new game that contains everything in super.

News Comments > TF2 Raises 300K for Charity
2. Re: TF2 Raises 300K for Charity Mar 30, 2011, 10:57 Warskull

Best application of hats/micropayments yet.  

News Comments > Lead and Gold Free Weekend; Free DLC; Sale
4. Re: Lead and Gold Free Weekend; Free DLC; Sale Mar 24, 2011, 17:03 Warskull

Elessar wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 16:47:
It was just okay. I tried it on a free weekend and had some fun, but didn't really feel compelled to buy it. If you like class based shooters, your money would be better spent on Monday Night Combat imo.

Completely agreed, just buy MNC instead. L&G is kind of bad. The game tends to have big lag and server issues, almost no players, and MNC is simply way more fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2011, 14:19 Warskull

InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 11:05:
Are there any gaming journalists who arent retarded out there?

If they weren't retarded they would go get a better job and no longer be games 'journalists.'

News Comments > RIFT Interview
3. Re: RIFT Interview Mar 6, 2011, 12:17 Warskull

Stanly Manly wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 11:33:
In short...

This is the MMO that made me uninstall WoW.

To reinstall WoW with a different name.

News Comments > Scrolls Announced
7. Re: Scrolls Announced Mar 2, 2011, 13:40 Warskull

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 12:40:
Yeah, I've vowed never to get into a MtG-style money pit game. This looks suspiciously like that. I like the type of game, and they're usually pretty deep, but I don't like that it often comes down to who's willing to spend the most money to build decks of just the best of the best cards, or to get the right number of each card to build some mega-deck.

If the decks are reasonably priced, I'm fine with microtransactions. Microtransactions can be done in a way that doesn't completely screw over the consumer and still makes money for the dev. Most devs just choose to go the road of greed over quality.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2011, 17:04 Warskull

killer_roach wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:22:
Gaming is not getting more expensive... the problem is that prices don't tend to move a lot, so whenever there's nominal upward price pressure people freak out. The NES' main configuration in the US was $150 in 1984, which would be about $325 today, pretty much in line with the major gaming systems. The difference is in the price paid for games - $40-50 per game back then, which was the norm for most any game then, would be $85-110 today, which, if you saw that for anything other than a relatively lavish collector's edition, would be likely to incite riotous levels of nerd rage.

If anything, the main complaints about gaming being too expensive come from three sources. One is younger people with a very limited frame of reference about gaming. Not much you can do about that. The second is the people who complain that they aren't getting as much for their gaming dollar as they used to; this is relatively subjective, but I would argue that, for multiplayer gamers at least, that seems not to hold much water (singleplayer gamers may have some complaints as more and more games feel they need to focus on co-op and competitive multiplayer in order to check off some bullet points on a marketing sheet). The third argument is that there's simply that much more gaming offerings out today, making it that much harder to keep on top of everything from both a time and a cost perspective.

You have to remember, gaming was far less mainstream back then. The business models they made back then are outdated. Trying to push every game for $60 results in a lot of games failing to sell. Steam has proven time and time again that flexible pricing can make you much more money with increased sales.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 14:01 Warskull

Zadig wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 13:27:
It was supposed to enter beta in late 2009! They haven't released anything for GW in over 3 years which is clearly not ideal.

Writing an MMO from scratch isn't exactly an easy task.

News Comments > Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans
16. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 13:06 Warskull

tony wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 11:11:
How is the single player in this game? I don't have many pc-playing friends and it's not often we all have free time simultaneously.

Single players is kind of screwed up. The boss design doesn't feel like it is meant for single player. A lot of bosses can one-shot you or insta-kill you randomly. So single player boils down to repeating bosses and luck at times.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 13:25.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
4. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:25 Warskull

ASeven wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:18:
nin wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:12:
What does Activision have besides COD and Blizzard? They need new IPs, so it's not surprising.

Pretty much this. They're probably looking for new IPs and the cynical in me tells me they're going to bleed it dry too once they get them.

Either way, anyone interested in the stock market should take a closer look at the stocks of both these publishers, especially Take-2 if the merger is announced. Expect prices to spike up.

It has been their MO so far. Buy companies, get IPs, run them into the ground with yearly sequels until they stop selling. Their only options are to cease being relevant and leech off Blizzard or buy new IPs to exploit and run into the ground.

It would be ironic for the heads of Rockstar to get abused by Activision after they abused the people who made RDR.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo