Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 443 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order
7. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 24, 2011, 14:23 Warskull

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 21:33:
At this rate, we'll all be 60 when it goes on sale.

For consoles.

^D^

I'm not sure they actually want to make an MMO. Interplay just wants the full value of their IP. Bethesda refused to buy the MMO rights and now decided they want them. Interplay can only hold on to them if they are working on a Fallout MMO. Instead of buying the rights from Interplay they are trying to sue the rights out of them and now the whole thing is potentially backfiring. Interplay probably still wants to sell the rights to Bethesda, or if their motion to void the contract goes through someone else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 15:11 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 12:22:
If that's what makes you happy, knock yourself out. The rest of us will happily keep our HUDs, kthnx.

Agreed, there is some information you need to know. The goal shouldn't be no-hud, but a minimalist hud that conveys everything you need to know in the most efficient manner possible.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 ShakyCam Footage
22. Re: Borderlands 2 ShakyCam Footage Sep 4, 2011, 21:24 Warskull

PHJF wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 20:18:
Diablo 2 was miles beyond Diablo.

Borderlands 2 is looking like the Doom 2 to Doom, more of an expansion than true follow up.

Diablo 2 also was four years after Diablo 1, Borderlands 1 was late 2009.

Borderlands with some new classes and some more crazy guns would be fun. From what I've seen so far they've got the more crazy guns down.

News Comments > Valve Games on Origin
21. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:55 Warskull

Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:08:
EA can suck it. You know Origin is charging people $5 on top of the game's price to pre-order The Old Republic? That's right charging EXTRA to pre-order a game!

One of the things I like about a steam is how they give you 10% off for pre-ordering.

News Comments > Obsidian on RPG Design
7. Re: Obsidian on RPG Design Aug 22, 2011, 02:27 Warskull

Re-specs are a good thing. The mythical "everything is good and viable" RPG doesn't exist. Often times it is just stabbing around in the dark as you learn the mechanics. A skill that in theory should be good could be complete trash and a skill that looks bad could be completely game-breaking.

You just ad a cost to re-specs in a single player RPG to discourage re-specing for every fight. However, it would allow players to respec when they realize what they picked cripples them.

News Comments > Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal
16. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 13:00 Warskull

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 12:05:
Again, I've never heard this (though people here keep claiming it comes up) and it's easy enough to dispel by pointing to the issues every company attempting to do cross-platform has had to deal with

It does come up and when people argue controllers are better for shooters reality does not factor into the equation. It usually comes up when a console fanboy is trying to defend their console of choice. Usually the fact that shooters feel more natural and control better on the PC comes up.

It is easy to prove, you can use controllers on the PC. If a controller was the superior option the competitive games would all be using it. However, when the controller arguement is made it is rarely rational.

We'll probably see the same thing, PC players absolutely destroy console players and the groups end up separated.

News Comments > DOTA 2 Interview
8. Re: DOTA 2 Interview Aug 14, 2011, 15:38 Warskull

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 00:05:
That's not really the community's fault though. It is flawed mechanics. 45 min-1hr long games combined with the fact that one person can not only cause you to lose, but completely cripple the entire team tends to result in angry people.

I don't think that's an issue with mechanics. What you're essentially saying is that all team-based multiplayer games should require large teams so that crappy players can't have s significant impact on their team's success. Large teams are not suited to all genres, particularly strategy games.

It isn't the large team aspect. If you are playing TF2 on a smaller server, even if you have one bad player on your team you can still perform to your maximum and kill people. Furthermore the matches aren't 1 hour long. In DotA/LoL it is really more about item builds, positioning, ect. Having one bad player tends to put your team behind on items and makes you fight every fight a man down. Then every fight the enemy team wins they get even better items completely crippling your ability to do anything.

The game snowballs and you can lose in 15 minutes, but it can then take 45 minutes for the game to finish. Furthermore once you hit midgame a lot of fights are already pre-determined by items, position, hero choice, and level.

The game tends to leave you in a lame duck position while with more action oriented games you can at least still successfully shoot people and get something done. On top of this they don't just let players leave because someone leaving mid-game tends to break the game.

The weakest player in the game can often decide the game and not only does the weakest player lose the game for you, he limits your ability to have fun. Making the game have more players wouldn't fix it, but only make the problem worse. It needs shorter games that end much faster when one team is severely outclassed.

Think of it this way, in almost every FPS no matter how bad a player is, they are usually better than having an empty slot. In DotA and its derivatives there are countless times where I would rather play the game 4v5 than have a bad player on my team. Also as mentioned the influence of a bad player feeding is a magnitude greater than the influence of a good player carrying.

News Comments > DOTA 2 Interview
2. Re: DOTA 2 Interview Aug 13, 2011, 22:36 Warskull

rist3903 wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 21:07:
Just because there are positive examples of people in a community does not mean that gameplay mechanics of the genre do not lend themselves to people getting extremely irritated at new players. One person on a team can cause the team to lose, making the others pissed at him.

If you consider that this is a very common occurrence, it is easy to extrapolate from that that quite a few in the community are somewhat unfriendly to the uninitiated.

That's not really the community's fault though. It is flawed mechanics. 45 min-1hr long games combined with the fact that one person can not only cause you to lose, but completely cripple the entire team tends to result in angry people.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Aug 12, 2011, 16:38 Warskull

Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 14:01:
avianflu wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 12:53:
The whole point of persistent on line is NOT to stop piracy: it is to allow for real-time micro-tranctions in the auction house and blizzard store.

Want that sword of Damocles for $1.50? Click -- it is now yours.

Again, I completely disagree with this. How does this require persistent online? It doesn't in any way, shape or form. There isn't a single argument that can be made that persistent online even helps this. Sorry, but it makes the argument dumb.

However, DRM can require persistent online.

In D2 you had offline single player and b.net multi. Single player was completely disconnected and you could still hack it. It didn't matter back then, because there was no microtransaction auction house. However, with D3 a player hacking their single player to get all the cool stuff they want is potentially a lost microtransaction customer.

Always On DRM is required to ensure players don't mod/hack their single player experience and end up bypassing the need for the online auction house.

It isn't a piracy issue here, they know the game will sell a ton of copies regardless. All Blizzard's moves lately have been towards a more tightly controlled user experience. With the ultimate goal of selling them more things.

News Comments > Dungeons of Dredmor Patch Status
2. Re: Dungeons of Dredmor Patch Status Jul 31, 2011, 14:29 Warskull

Very good game, if you have $5 to drop, buy it. You won't regret purchasing this game.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam
56. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 21:31 Warskull

Bhruic wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 17:53:
Valve is simply asking that both the game and all DLC be available for purchase through steam. That is a reasonable request. No one would have a problem with valve refusing to carry EA games if EA made the DLC only available through Direct2Drive.

Sure, but Valve isn't living up to the other side. If I buy BF:BC2 retail, and try and buy the Vietnam expansion via Steam, I can't use it. If I buy BF:BC2 on Steam, and buy the Vietnam expansion from Direct2Drive, I can't use it. If Steam isn't going to allow you to purchase your DLC from a third party and enable it with your Steam game (or vice versa), why should EA cooperate with them?

If you buy a game from Direct 2 Drive or retail, Valve doesn't see a penny. They would then be providing their services to you for free. That's why you can only register steamworks games on steam if you buy them elsewhere. Valve is already part of that deal. Valve is still a business.

Allowing you to buy games elsewhere and register them on steam just would just let other digital services freeload.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam
50. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 15:11 Warskull

Krovven wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 13:39:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 13:16:
No one can really say how many of these "Steam or no sale" people really mean it.

It's true, some of those people will just go through Origin, or another digital distro, or just buy the boxed game. I know I will for BF3. Hardcore gamers will go wherever they need to, to get the game. Casual folks that just see a game get released on Steam and decide to buy it are the people they will lose. 25 million + Steam users isnt something to scoff at.

I imagine quite a few. The only reason I bought BC2 was due to a steam sale. The EA store may put things on sale, but I don't check it regularly. They may not lose out on the initial die hard fans, but I think they will probably lose out on the people who pick it up later when it goes on sale. If they aren't that motivated to buy the game they may buy it on sale, but not go out of their way to sign up for a new service.

When you hit a certain point it is very convenient for all your games to be under one banner.

As for Steam pulling the games, at this point EA knows exactly why Valve pulled Crysis 2. They did the same thing with DA2 because they want to force consumers to make a choice.

Valve is simply asking that both the game and all DLC be available for purchase through steam. That is a reasonable request. No one would have a problem with valve refusing to carry EA games if EA made the DLC only available through Direct2Drive.

News Comments > Brink Postmortem
10. Re: Brink Postmortem Jul 25, 2011, 13:38 Warskull

The voice acting? There are so many other, massive problems with the game. The fact that they don't address them in the slightest tells me either they are in denial or don't understand how they screwed up. Either way, it indicates we'll probably never see a good game from them again.  

News Comments > Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel
27. Re: Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel Jul 24, 2011, 13:24 Warskull

Cram wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:06:
Why was this article posted? This isn't interesting, important or newsworthy. Stop giving Roper attention.

Personally, I appreciate the warning that games from Disney/Marvel will have some extra suck in them from now on.

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
29. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 01:54 Warskull

This is just what they did with their last game. They make a terrible game, go "hey we have jetpacks, like Tribes" and all the people who keep hearing that Tribes was really good, but never actually played it, run and buy it. 5 minutes later they realize the game is terrible and absolutely nothing like Tribes.

Hi-Rez has problems at a very core level. They have bad developers who don't understand what makes a game good running things. The results are bad games.

News Comments > Scrolls Will Launch Minecraft Style
5. Re: Scrolls Will Launch Minecraft Style Jun 30, 2011, 01:00 Warskull

Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 22:32:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 22:24:
Just because one game did and it was a fluke success doesn't mean everyone should emulate it.

You realize it's the same guy right?

I'm a big proponent of this style of development. Working at a software developer which employs the agile methodology and ships product nearly ever week, I can't stress enough how important it is to get the customers involved as early as possible.

Plus with games, as long as the core gameplay is fun you have a product. Being an electronic CCG this will probably work well with scrolls.

News Comments > id on RAGE PC Controls
17. Re: id on RAGE PC Controls Jun 8, 2011, 15:41 Warskull

DangerDog wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:57:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 11:25:
Good to see this getting settled. Let's move on to something else to bitch about.

No dedicated servers for RAGE? I haven't read if that's true or not.

There is no competitive multi, it is co-op only.

News Comments > Interplay/Fallout Online Woes
13. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 15:48 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:24:
From the get go this was all about trying to squeeze Bethsoft for cash, plain and simple. Everyone including them knew they'd never build the thing or get the financing for it. This is just a case of IP squatting on a technicality. Shame of it is that this has set back any chance for a Fallout world for several years.

At the same time Bethesda didn't want to pay for the rights to an MMO. We all know Fallout is an extremely valuable IP and they passed on the MMO rights because they were being cheap.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms
52. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms May 28, 2011, 04:13 Warskull

captawe wrote on May 27, 2011, 19:08:
Umm, Bioware doesn't exist except in name only. EA bought them and control all the shots. Bioware is just a name on a website and a marquee to pimp crappy games from.

Mass Effect 2 was quite good. I think the actual issue here is Bioware spreading itself too thin. You have Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and The Old Republic all in development at once. There is a finite amount of talent at a studio. When I played DA:O it was pretty clear to me that the third and fourth stringers were working on the Dragon Age series.

All their good devs are probably working on other series, leaving Dragon Age to what's left.

News Comments > SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM
31. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 03:38 Warskull

entr0py wrote on May 26, 2011, 02:50:
Dev wrote on May 26, 2011, 00:40:
Maybe use steam next time instead of the *barf* GfWL. It limits you to 1 signin at a time, unlimited installs. It has ability to not unlock the game until a particular release day/time, etc.

While Steam VS GFWL isn't really the issue here, it does amaze me how people support Steam DRM. The biggest issues is that Steam requires periodical sign-ins, even in "offline" mode. Whereas GFWL never requires you to be online, and even allows you to create and play on offline accounts that require no user data or tracking.

Steam's DRM is transparent most of the time and in exchange for tolerating their DRM you get all the steam features, some of which are quite good.

443 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo