Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 433 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Hello Games Flooded
5. Re: Hello Games Flooded Dec 25, 2013, 15:30 Warskull

Task wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 12:52:
Hard drives that are submerged in water still can have their data recovered, especially if the platter itself is undamaged. If the read/write headers are bent or anything though, those would have to be replaced. Either way, if they did not back up anything, they can still recover the data - it might cost a pretty penny though (like $1200 per hard drive)

Sounds like they had proper off-site backups in place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
17. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 14:04 Warskull

warmbluelasers wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 13:56:
Gold plated clan mech preorders and the "limited edition" StarCitizen capital ships are very concerning. I thought EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc were supposed to be the wallet raiders, not the "independent" studios.

As for MWO, I guess it's true there's a sucker born every minute or that scam would have died by now.

This is why these micropayment schemes are so dangerous. There's this constant temptation for a developer to corrupt their game to make more money. There is always some quick easy cash around the corner if you are willing to compromise your game. Would you be able to resist an instant million by fucking over your playerbase?

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 11:41.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
13. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 13:10 Warskull

Sounds like they reached that point where they realized they drove off the majority of their playerbase and what is left are crazy fanboys. They decided to milk it for all its worth before the game collapses.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2013, 19:03 Warskull

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 14:32:
I still disagree with you guys. If someone is still actively using a copyright, why should it lapse?

The argument is typically that it would encourage innovation - why would allowing some guy to make a Mario game encourage innovation? Yeah, I know the argument is that Nintendo couldn't keep kicking out Mario games because the brand would be so diluted that they'd need to come up with new characters.

But why? For one, we'd get an endless flood of shitty Mario games, which seems to help no one. For another, shouldn't we be encouraging the people, like the guy here, that are making cool Mario games to instead innovate and create their own characters?

Under the logic "if someone is still using it, it shouldn't lapse" copyright is effectively forever. Disney is a great example. A corporation own all those rights. This corporation effectively lives forever. Even if a corporation dies, the IP rights get bought up in a feeding frenzy and become the property of another corporation (like what happened with THQ.)

Companies do not die so an upper limit is needed on copyright terms.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 21:01 Warskull

Morga wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 20:38:
Kotaku is a corrupt feminist gamer website, owned by Gawker Media which also operates the feminist Jezebel.

Or perhaps Gawker is just a lazy site that hires low quality writers and has their sites churn out crappy click bait.

All of gawkers sites are shitty in unique ways. Kotaku dedicates way too much effort and article space to sexy cosplay to be feminist. They are only "feminist" when stirring up controversy might get them some clicks.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
93. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:40 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 19:05:
Someone on Ars Technica posted this:
Linux is the future of gaming, so long as it is no longer called Linux, is locked down from outside control, and will stream stuff from the Steam Store (but no word of streaming games purchased through GoG or other vendors?

Let me put it this way: if and when Steam allows other storefronts without SteamOS, then I will believe the cries of "open source" were anything but marketing material.

I pretty much agree. This looks like their own "Walled Garden" that they were bitching of MS doing, on an OS base that is supposed to be "Open". Talk about ironic... and potentially hippocratical.

That said... a PS4 will already be in my living room... which is a huge step for me since I mostly hate consoles... or to be more accurate... gaming pads.

Just because their implementation is a walled garden doesn't mean it is closed. Games that run on Steam OS will probably run on other Linux distros.

Linux is inherently more open due to being open source. Someone can always make a more open Steam OS alternative. A least part of their code will have to be open source.

The big thing is a move like this should improve overall developer support and driver support for Linux as a whole.

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
39. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:51 Warskull

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:16:
Kedyn wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:28:
jamiedj99 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 14:30:
its like goting to the bar calling your boss a dick and going to work the next day to find out you been fired for it. this can be abused i could see soe banning people who speak out about how shitty a game is and get banned

I doubt it. If they banned everyone that has ever said a negative thing about their games, they wouldn't have any customers left. Everyone has an opinion, even about the game they love, and I've done my share of trolling for Planetside 2 in the past that I'm not particularly proud of.

Kinda funny, because, I was a PS2 player hardcore in beta, was a good game up until they took away back caps, and made adjacent squares only capturable.. made the game utterly pathetic.. went from a good game to absolutely waste of time linear zergfest of stupidity.... I voiced my opinion and they had no problems banning me.... They loved me when I ran one of the best armor core's in the game.... How quickly they turn when you tell them the truth... Did the truth make me a troll? No, it hurt them, so they got butthurt and banned me from the forums... Kicker... They kept my pre-order money, and would not refund it... They have a real heartless SOB that will sell out his mother to not give you a refund... Thats when you realize.. who gives two shits what these companies say... I have not missed them in my life one bit.. And nothing in the future will i care for.. good luck with that business strategy.. you think your above the world because your a big name..... i've seen kingdoms bigger than sony's crumble in a weeks time.....

The Planetside 2 team is, bluntly, a bunch of power-tripping douchebags. They will ban you if they don't like you.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
18. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 14:53 Warskull

nin wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 14:12:
Really amazed publishers went along with this - but it's also a great tool to get people to buy games, if they like them, but get locked out once the original owner wants to play...

I don't think they have much of choice, Valve is the king of digital distribution and can bully publishers into it. If they take their games off of Steam their sales will suffer significantly.

Fortunately Valve uses this power for good instead of evil.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 1, 2013, 21:53 Warskull

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:15:
You guys must exist in a very data sparse environment. My monthly traffic is ~50TB a month.

That's ~50,000 GB, I somehow doubt you are moving that much data in one month. 10GB a movie is probably a generous estimate for bluray quality rips. At that rate you would have to download 500 movies in a month. That would be 16.6 movies per day. Netflix puts their highest quality HD in at 2.8GB/hr. That would be 17,857 hours of netflix or 744 days of straight netflix. You would need 24 copies of netflix running 24/7 for a month to pull that off.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking TB for GB? Remember 1 TB = 1,024 GB.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 21:59.

News Comments > War of the Vikings Closed Alpha
4. Re: War of the Vikings Closed Alpha Aug 22, 2013, 21:07 Warskull

Axis wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 18:11:
WOTR is more enjoyable long term and had a deeper strategy.
Chivalry is more enjoyable initially and was more accessible for newbies.

Chivalry is actually much deeper. Sure you have directional acting and blocking, but that doesn't result in depth. It just looks like it. The problem is that War of the Roses lacks stamina and it is almost always better to attack than try to parry. The result is WotR has surprisingly shallow gameplay.

Meanwhile Chivalry allows players to dynamically adjust attacks, parrying is intuitive, and swinging wildly will run you out of stamina and leave you open. Its combat system is much deeper than first glance. It is also a more intuitive system so it ends up being friendlier to new players.

News Comments > War of the Vikings Closed Alpha
1. Re: War of the Vikings Closed Alpha Aug 22, 2013, 15:36 Warskull

So another awful game from Fatshark?  

News Comments > LoL Players Athletes
17. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 11:51 Warskull

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 01:50:
Esoteric wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 00:27:
Even if you don't like LoL or e-sports, how would it negatively affect you in any manner whatsoever?

Where do I say it negatively affects me in any manner? I just say that it's retarded that people who sit on their asses and play videogames are considered to be 'athletes.'

And to focus on the word "athlete" is a bit silly, as chess is considered a sport, and the players are "athletes" as well. Same goes for billiards and several other activities I'm sure people would find questionable.

Chess is considered a GAME, not a sport, and its players are most assuredly not considered athletes. Neither are billiards players. Neither, for that matter, are golfers.

Creston

Chess is referenced in this law and the word athlete is used. That's just the way the law is written. It is a visa for "athletes and entertainers." It doesn't mean the government thinks LoL is an athletic endeavor. It just means they think people should be able to come to the US to participate in tournaments and changing the wording of the law to be "athlete or competitor" would be too much of a pain.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
10. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 18:24 Warskull

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 16:55:
Maybe the next Atlus will actually give a damn about bringing Japanese games to the US and EU regions.. FOR PC. ^^

I think that is more a function of how the PC gaming market was never as strong in Japan. Japanese developers don't usually bother making PC games.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
8. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 13:15 Warskull

El Pit wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 11:41:
Wow! You guys know Atlus? When I read the headline, I was like "WHO?" Seems they release JRPGs, and that's why I don't know them. So, I hope for the fans of JRPGs that they can be "rehabilitated".

Atlus does JRPGs, but they aren't just JRPGs. They create and translate quirky Japanese games. Their games tend to be very unique. It can be nice to play something different from time to time, hence why losing Atlus would suck. They are the company willing to take risks on things no one else would. As mentioned they brought Demon's Souls to countries outside of Japan when no one else thought it could succeed.

News Comments > Valve Rumor Bonanza
18. Re: Valve Rumor Bonanza Jun 20, 2013, 02:36 Warskull

Beelzebud wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 01:59:
Ravenholm was one of my favorite parts about Half Life 2. That being said, I'm not sure how much mileage you could get out of an entire game based around it.

I agree, Ravenholm was the best designed sequence of HL2. People may not have like the horror theme, but it had the most interesting interactive physics in the game. All the little traps you could use were very well done.

News Comments > Battle for Graxia Ending
5. Re: Battle for Graxia Ending Jun 10, 2013, 12:00 Warskull

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 10:06:
That was fast, holy shit.

Battle for Graxia was just a rebrand of Rise of Immortals. They were probably hoping the new name and relaunch would attract new players. It was most likely a last ditch effort. So really, the game was out and failing for a while now.

News Comments > Blood Bowl 2 Announced
4. Re: Blood Bowl 2 Announced Jun 6, 2013, 11:50 Warskull

Yakubs wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:22:
There's no reason to buy this. You can play multiplayer Blood Bowl for free on FUMBBL. Whereas, with Cyanide's Blood Bowl, you get a buggy game with a really weak online community and a 3D gameboard that makes it incredibly difficult to see what's going on. Why spend money for a worse product?

I just don't see what they can add to a sequel at this point. They added a ton of races in their previous version. Blood Bowl is ultimately a board game though, and they are working off Games Workshop's rules. It isn't like they can invent new races and rules.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 2, 2013, 16:24 Warskull

This is old information from February. It isn't really worth anything. In fact the way he said it makes it sound like publishers have the option to block used sales (and if given the option, they will.)  

News Comments > The Flock Announced
5. Re: The Flock Announced May 30, 2013, 13:24 Warskull

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:39:
So it's just CTF then?

Seriously why do people waste their time and money making stuff like this? 'Hey! You what'll sell a bazillion copies?! A shitty looking multiplayer only game that only has one mode...CTF! Huh? Huh? Awesome, right!?'

It's murderball not CTF. FFA, everyone tries to kill the guy with the ball.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
12. Re: U.K. Sales Charts May 28, 2013, 11:28 Warskull

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:25:
Even if the stats represent only a portion of the market, the fact that SimCity does that well in any segment is truly disappointing.

Exactly my point. The UK is a statistically significantly large market that we can extrapolate that its doing pretty well in other markets around the world.

Not necessarily, there are only rankings, no real numbers were provided. The video game market is very spikey. When a major game is released it will sell a large amount of copies very quickly. Between major releases it doesn't take much effort to get on the radar.

You also have to consider the state of PC retail, especially in the UK. Those stores abandoned PC gaming ages ago. They probably only have a handful of games from the largest publishers.

As for the digital sales, we know there are irrelevant because Steam doesn't report their sales figures and steam is by far the largest digital distributor on the market.

These numbers are only telling us who is a big fish in a small pond. The Steam top 10 and Steam stats are where the real info stands.

433 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo