Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DukeFNukem

Real Name DukeFNukem   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DukeFNukem
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 19, 2004, 02:20
Total Comments 256 (Amateur)
User ID 22104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 05:39 DukeFNukem

Mr JDreyer,
Hello sir,

Let me state one thing up front for you. I make no claims that my belief system lines squarely up with any universal truths. I have simply made a choice...listen closely...I have made a choice based upon my limited knowledge of the universe. I am guessing you have done the same thing. Or are you bold enough to claim that you know every scientific law in play in the universe when it comes to the human body? Make the claim for us all here on this website that you are the 'all knowing, all seeing, all understanding, being that we should listen too on all things in the universe. The reason you are all so angry is because I cast doubt on your 'universal truth'. I make you think twice and that makes you angry.

I am no microbiologist, I have no degrees in medicine. My major is in Computer Science. I guarantee there are as many people against vaccinations as there are for vaccinations. If there weren't we would not even be having this discussion because 90% of all the population would be happily skipping to the doctor, while whistling zippity-do-dah, to get injected and people wouldn't have to go about bitching about the other 10% according to your, *cough, cough*, Herd Immunity theory? Your happy(and scientifically, safe) as long as 90% of the population is vaccinated, yes?

Again, when I wake up in the morning and read the news that people are dying left and right from measles(or any other virus for that matter) who have NOT been vaccinated I will pay more attention. Theoretical pandemic's do not interest me at all. Already seen that movie back in 2009. "DOOMSDAY: The Swine Flue Virus - The End of Life on Planet Earth as we Know it - AAAAAAHHHHHH!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!". While you were running scared to get your H1N1 shot I was probably at home chilling on my computer playing a video game. LOL.

God help your crusade, if I wake up in the morning and read in the news that people who HAVE been vaccinated are dying of the virus they were vaccinated for. That's gonna cast a pretty dark cloud on your 'Holy Grail' of immunity. Edit: On second thought, wait a minute...this happens all the time already, doesnt it? HOLY @#$%, No wonder I have no faith in vaccines.

You're right, your not going to change my mind with words. Your making all your decisions in a theoretical universe out of fear. I am making mine from a practical perspective out of faith.

Another edit: Oh, and if I give you the impression that I have skipped over anyting, it's more than likely because defending oneself against multiple attacks from multiple attackers at once is very tiring and time consuming. So, I am doing my best.

Edit: I never got my H1N1 swine flu shot...aren't I supposed to be dead, right now? Yes, we all are. Oops! Oh well, the CDC were only off by 1 or 2 billion(or so) people....who's counting...Let's cut them some slack, yes? I guess the 20% of you that actually DID get the shot saved everybody else. Thank you so much.

*Sung to the tune of ACDCs Rock'N'Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

2nd Chorus
"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, 'Heard Immunity' I just don't buy",
"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, the fear of death keep Merck stock ridin' high, ah yeah!!!"

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 07:48.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 19:26 DukeFNukem

InBlack wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 03:47:
Actually herd immunity protects assholes like yourself who refuse to protect themselves. You see, there is this thing called LOGIC try and follow, although for somoene who clrearly believes has all the answers that might be a bit of a stretch.

HERD immunity works in populations that are mostly innoculated, the reason why it works is because the less people who are susceptible to the virus, the harder it spreads.

So you are walking around outside and laughing at all the fool vaccination junkies out there and not getting sick. Well DUH! You are not getting sick because most people are immunised and the virus has a hard time spreading in a population like that. LOGIC? Wow!

Its got nothing to do with Merck or any pharmaceutical company. Its common sense. The reason why it works is because most people have been immunising their kids for the past 100 or so years.

The problem is that now though in recent years. Conspiracy nutjobs like yourself have refused to vaccinate their children against common viruses. In 10-20 years because of asswipes like yoruself that have refused to immunise thier children we will be in danger from another Spanish flu like outbreak or something very similar. Something that is very treatable today will become a threat simply because people like yourself refuse to acknowledge science.

Just a wild guess here, but do you also deny evolution? Quick, hide from the Illuminati! The Bilderberg black helicopters are our to get you!! Newsflash asshole!! We live in a shitty world, run by bad people. I dont need my children to suffer because of ignorance too...

Hehehe, I love how you use half way decent comments to make your case and then destroy all your credibility at the end of the post by trying to make the person you are responding to look like a crackpot. Make up your mind, do you wanna prove that vaccines are the shit by science or by making me look like a quack by pretending that I believe in shit you don't have a clue about? This guy talks about using logic and then he completely doesn't use any. But let me highlight his "flavor" of logic he used to brand me a quack.

Premise 1 - DukeFNukem is against vaccinations.
Premise 2 - Anybody who is against vaccinations must ALSO believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, and black helicopters.

Conclusion - Because DukeFNukem believes 1 theory, he must also believe all these additional but completely separate and distinct theories.

Dude, what grade did you get in logic class? LOL. Sad, I was gonna respond until the stupidity at the end.

*Sung to the tune of ACDCs - Rock'N'Roll Ain't Noise Pollution*

"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, if you don't participate they all cry"
"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, don't get a shot yearly they scream your gonna die, all right!"
LOL. Not bad huh? Maybe, I'll write some more verses later.

Just for fun.

Common sense is what the world had before Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492. Think about it.

Is all the profanity a sign of frustration of me not falling on my knees and joining your herd? I'm thinking...yes?

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 20:02.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 02:57 DukeFNukem

InBlack wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:50:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:48:
InBlack wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:46:
Go read up on herd immunity. Yeah, actually KNOWING about things requires reading up about them. Im sure that you wont though, you will scoff and dismiss my remark and go back to your complete ignorance while you continue to claim superiority of your immune system. Dumbass.

I don't have to read up on "Herd Immunity". I can already tell your part of the herd. LOL. Dumbass huh? I like that. Good talk. Enjoy life!!!

Thanks for proving my point. You asked a question, I answered and you completely chose to ignore it while preaching to everyone else how you know better. Never ceaeses to amaze me, the depths of human idiocy.

I hear your my friend. And you actually think your mention of the Terminator the....I mean the "Herd Immunity" theory is the first I've ever heard that bullshit? LOL. Oh my God, Herd Immunity, what is he talking about? I never heard that mentioned before. LOL.

I like how you chose to ignore my question. You got vaccinations to protect you from the flu, right? You said you haven't had the flu for 20 years, right? So, your conclusion is that these vaccinations are the shit, right? "Man bro, I got a flu vaccination every year for the past 20 years and I never had the flu". Okay, do you think you have ever been in the same room with some silly bastard like me who did have the flu and DIDN'T get a vaccination shot? More than likely, yes, because you can't control the people you have to interact with in public places. So, you just said you didn't get the flu. It protected you from the silly bastards like me, so what's the problem? Your Terminator "Herd Immunity" bullshit theory, which has been thrown in my face everytime I discuss my stance on vaccinations doesn't even make sense in the example I have just asked you about. So, answer it? You haven't had the flu for 20 years. The vaccinations have obviously protected you from it right? So why are you all pissed that I don't want to play russian roulette with my bloodstream? Because you believe some bullshit "Herd Immunity" theory that has been concocted by drug companies like Merck so that EVERYBODY on the ******** planet has to be vaccinated before were all safe. How convenient for them, huh? You can't have it both ways brutha, either the vaccinations protect you or they don't...which is it?

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 02:48 DukeFNukem

InBlack wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:46:
Go read up on herd immunity. Yeah, actually KNOWING about things requires reading up about them. Im sure that you wont though, you will scoff and dismiss my remark and go back to your complete ignorance while you continue to claim superiority of your immune system. Dumbass.

I don't have to read up on "Herd Immunity". I can already tell your part of the herd. LOL. Dumbass huh? I like that. Good talk. Enjoy life!!!

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 02:40 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:34:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:13:

Wow, a person who has responded half-way intelligently. However, still making all comments as though they were indisputable facts. I'm not gonna respond to everything because It's becoming pointless like arguing for or against abortion. I have been sick for more than 3 days in the past 20 years only once. Know what I did to get well? Nothing. Know what medications I used to get well? None. I rested. That's it. So, that doesn't tell us anything about anything. I am sure we could find a few more people in the United States of America that haven't had a flu for 20 years who haven't had a yearly flu shot. Suggesting that if you get a flu shot yearly you will never contract the flu is completely ludicrous. Wow!! Just Wow!!! There are so many other aspects to health that determine whether a person is healthy or not. Getting a flu shot is a not free pass to live any damn way you please. LOL. Oh man. Now, we just need to take a poll and find out how many people DID catch the flu in spite of the fact that they got a flu shot yearly for the past 20 years. I'll bet there's nobody, yes? LOL.

You get top honors for being the most civil but there is just no agreement. You keep getting your shots, I'll forego my shots in case there is ever a shortage I will take my chances in the wild. I would feel bad if I got a vaccination before some poor soul who actually wanted one got a chance to get theirs. You do your thing. I'll do mine. And never the twain shall meet! The drug industry has a loyal customer for life. Good luck!!!

You're right, the flu shot does not protect against all flu types. The flu is constantly evolving. However, it will protect against those specific types, and ones that are similar enough that the body recognizes them as such.

I would say "Fine, be that way, take your risk." But you're fucking it up for everyone else. For no reason.

Speaking of reasons, what are your objections? You've not elucidated.

I thought they were stated pretty clearly if you read most of my posts. One is CDC credibility which it has none. You can't keep telling us were all gonna die every year if we don't all run out like good little vaccine junkies and get the 'flavor of the month' vaccine to protect against the 'flavor of the month' virus. The end of the world was predicted in 2009 if not everybody ran out to get their H1N1 shot and most of us are still here.

Explain how I am ******* it up for everyone else if you got your shots? This is the part of the theory that kills me. The complete crazy bullshit straight from the Terminator movie. "See how clever it is? It doesn't require a shred of proof. Most paranoid delusions are intricate, but this is brilliant."

If YOU get all the dead virus' injected into your bloodstream that your little heart desires as often as you desire how does me NOT doing that possibly effect you? You are supposed to not be effected by the virus your being vaccinated for, right? You just said you haven't had the flu for 20 years. The shots protected you right? Well, I am sure you came in contact with more than 1 silly bastard who thinks like me in the past 20 years who had the flu but never got a flu shot. How come you didn't get it from ANYBODY? Please explain the double-standard here.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 02:46.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 02:13 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 01:54:
Since you've responded so many times and so virulently (see what I did there?) I will assume you're not a troll.

DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:54:

I don't have to "free-load" off of anything or anybody. My immune system is strong enough to keep me alive. Put me in a room with 10 people, 20 people, a 100 people who "already" have the measles. It won't effect me. My immune system keeps me alive. Not a dead virus being injected into my blood stream.
Actually, it is very unlikely you will not get sick. Your immune system cannot handle measles until it has been exposed to it. The chance you will die is low, but you will suffer for three weeks missing work and being generally miserable. And by not getting the vaccine, you ARE free-loading. You're letting other people get the vaccine, erroneously thinking you don't have to. This is the foot in the door that the disease

You DID get your h1n1 swine flu shot, yes?
Of course I did. Why wouldn't I? It's part of the standard annual trivalent vaccine, and I get them annually. I haven't had the flu since college.

And yet still no one who is advocating becoming a vaccine junkie for life has answered whether they got the swine flu virus injected into their bloodstreams. Interesting.
I did. Hundreds of millions of people do so every year. I'm not sure what you're getting at. I do advocate being a vaccine junkie. Measles, mumps, rubella, scarlet fever, typhoid, pertussis, varicella, tetanus, and smallpox caused thousands and thousands of deaths annually in the US 100 years ago.

I love how you give the "impression", the false illusion, that I am 1 in a million. So very funny. Yes, anybody who doesn't want to get 100+ dead virus injected into their bloodstream over their lifetime is brain-damaged. So very funny.
I find this a completely ignorant statement.

I am probably more likely to be killed by a muslim terrorist or shot dead in a movie theatre than I am of dying of measles. Let me know when the death toll from measles tops 100 people in the United States of America. Then we can start this discussion again. Then I might start listening. I'll bet you 10 to 1 the death toll doesn't top 100 from this coming pandemic.
The only reason this is true is because for decades everyone has been getting vaccinated.

Wow, a person who has responded half-way intelligently. However, still making all comments as though they were indisputable facts. I'm not gonna respond to everything because It's becoming pointless like arguing for or against abortion. I have been sick for more than 3 days in the past 20 years only once. Know what I did to get well? Nothing. Know what medications I used to get well? None. I rested. That's it. So, that doesn't tell us anything about anything. I am sure we could find a few more people in the United States of America that haven't had a flu for 20 years who haven't had a yearly flu shot. Suggesting that if you get a flu shot yearly you will never contract the flu is completely ludicrous. Wow!! Just Wow!!! There are so many other aspects to health that determine whether a person is healthy or not. Getting a flu shot is a not free pass to live any damn way you please. LOL. Oh man. Now, we just need to take a poll and find out how many people DID catch the flu in spite of the fact that they got a flu shot yearly for the past 20 years. I'll bet there's nobody, yes? LOL.

The majority of people did NOT choose to get their H1N1 swine flu shots. How come we are all not already dead if our ONLY salvation-ah, our only hope-ah, rests in-ah, the drug companies, making-ah vaccines-ah?? LOL.

You get top honors for being the most civil but there is just no agreement. You keep getting your shots, I'll forego my shots in case there is ever a shortage I will take my chances in the wild. I would feel bad if I got a vaccination before some poor soul who actually wanted one got a chance to get theirs. You do your thing. I'll do mine. And never the twain shall meet! The drug industry has a loyal customer for life. Good luck!!!

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 02:31.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 01:46 DukeFNukem

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 01:37:

He probably is, but there are plenty of people out there actually like that. It really boggles the mind. Again, like I said, that's just evolution in action. Culling them from the gene pool is better for humanity in the long run.

Troll harder. Where did I suggest killing anyone? I just said it's evolution in action, which is what it is. Culling stupid people from the gene pool only makes what's left better in the long run. Thanks for proving my point for me.

I guess I am stupider than I thought. What exactly does the word culling mean? How would you go about 'culling' stupid people? Educate me, please. Since you made the suggestion.

Still looking for confirmation that you and all your buds here jumping on the "attack the anti-vax" wagon have been vaccinated against H1N1. I've asked like, what, 4 times now?

Plenty out there. LOL. Yeah, more than you are willing to admit. Scary huh?

"Yes, I got my H1N1 shot and I am standing tall and proud that I am a vaccine junkie!!!". That's all I want to hear. Own this philosophy that you so vehemently and violently defend. I'll make the t-shirt if you promise to buy it. "I have been H1N1 vaccinated! And am proud of it!". T-shirts anyone? Even better, I'll make the t-shirts using the format of a Rock Band and tour dates and list all your shots on the back of the t-shirt and the date you got it. I wonder if they will all fit on just the back of one t-shirt though? Eh, probably not.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 01:54.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 00:28 DukeFNukem

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:24:
2009 called. They want their conspiracy theory back.

Ah, he wants attention too. *DukeNukem gives MadMax a great big ole bear hug!!!! I know I shouldn't but this is so painfully obvious, what the hell. I take it you and Cutter are buddies?

Edit: Oh, and just to add something worthwhile to your idiotic statement. 2009's swine flu pandemic "predictions" by the CDC weren't about a conspiracy. It simply serves as a reminder that the CDC has a very, how can I word this, SHITTY track record of predictining what will and will not become a pandemic. 2009, conspiracy theories aside, shows us that. Most people shunned the H1N1 vaccinations and, golly gee, most of us are still here. Oops!!! Did you get yours?

They need to be very careful about how often they cry "Wolf!!!!" before people just completely ignore them. Hell, if you cry wolf often enough you gotta be right eventually, huh?

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 00:46.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 00:17 DukeFNukem

More personal attacks instead of any sign of intellectual thoughts? Umm, yeah, much better. Good job. I'll put a star on your chart. LOL. I am impressed.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 00:12 DukeFNukem

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:07:
1badmf wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:43:
this dude's gotta be trolling. nobody without braindamage can possibly be this stupid... can they?!?

He probably is, but there are plenty of people out there actually like that. It really boggles the mind. Again, like I said, that's just evolution in action. Culling them from the gene pool is better for humanity in the long run.

Are you suggesting killing people who don't agree with your perspective on health? Are you being serious right now? Note to self, do not attend any movie showings in Cutter's home state. Thank God for Prozac. I do hope your taking yours on a regular basis. Christ Jesus, and people on this board accuse ME of being crazy? LOL. You can always spot a group of fags who hang out together on a regular basis. I've stumbled upon that group.

And yet, not surprisingly, no admissions from any of the gang of "buddies who pat each others back" that they all have had their H1N1 swine flu vaccinations. Not a big deal but it would at least confirm you practice what you preach. We can't be selective about protecting ourselves from all the different ways we can die now can we? Must get them all. Like a good little vaccine junkie. Yep, yep!!!

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 00:25.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 23:07 DukeFNukem

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:20:
STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

Heh, I see you define troll as anybody who has a viewpoint about life that doesn't square up with your all-knowing, all encompassing life view? How lazy one has to be to scream "Troll!" because he has no other defense. Amazing!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 22:54 DukeFNukem

1badmf wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:43:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:42:
mag wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:35:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 19:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 18:43:

So it's fine for tens of thousands of children to suffer the weeks and weeks the pain and indignity (and possibly death) of a completely preventable disease, why exactly? Because some rich selfish assholes have fake beliefs about science and think other people's children should risk takers to keep their own safe? Douchecanoe.

God your pathetic. You fell for the divide and conquer bait. This has nothing to do with rich people. It has everything to do with educated people who look at history and make their decision to have their children vaccinated or not based upon history and common sense.

I noticed you didn't stand up for any people who are already dead or brain damaged from a vaccination shot...but you probably justify that with the "theoretical" millions of lives that are saved each year because of vaccines. So, that makes it all good.

Please tell me you did get your swine flu shot, yes?

Look at how common measles was. Go look up how common complications from measles are, and their severity. Go look up how contagious it is. Now go look up how common serious complications are to the MMR vaccine. Crunch the numbers.

Right now, you're relatively safe. You're freeloading off of the rest of the country's immunity. But as soon as you get a community of anti-vaxxers together, the viruses start proliferating again, like in this case. Get your ideas to spread, and enjoy infant mortality rates returning to the 19th century standard.

I don't have to "free-load" off of anything or anybody. My immune system is strong enough to keep me alive. Put me in a room with 10 people, 20 people, a 100 people who "already" have the measles. It won't effect me. My immune system keeps me alive. Not a dead virus being injected into my blood stream.

this dude's gotta be trolling. nobody without brain damage can possibly be this stupid... can they?!?

And yet still no one who is advocating becoming a vaccine junkie for life has answered whether they got the swine flu virus injected into their bloodstreams. Interesting.

I love how you give the "impression", the false illusion, that I am 1 in a million. So very funny. Yes, anybody who doesn't want to get 100+ dead virus injected into their bloodstream over their lifetime is brain-damaged. So very funny.

I am probably more likely to be killed by a muslim terrorist or shot dead in a movie theatre than I am of dying of measles. Let me know when the death toll from measles tops 100 people in the United States of America. Then we can start this discussion again. Then I might start listening. I'll bet you 10 to 1 the death toll doesn't top 100 from this coming pandemic.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2015, 23:02.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 20:42 DukeFNukem

mag wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:35:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 19:55:

So it's fine for tens of thousands of children to suffer the weeks and weeks the pain and indignity (and possibly death) of a completely preventable disease, why exactly? Because some rich selfish assholes have fake beliefs about science and think other people's children should risk takers to keep their own safe? Douchecanoe.

God your pathetic. You fell for the divide and conquer bait. This has nothing to do with rich people. It has everything to do with educated people who look at history and make their decision to have their children vaccinated or not based upon history and common sense.

I noticed you didn't stand up for any people who are already dead or brain damaged from a vaccination shot...but you probably justify that with the "theoretical" millions of lives that are saved each year because of vaccines. So, that makes it all good.

Look at how common measles was. Go look up how common complications from measles are, and their severity. Go look up how contagious it is. Now go look up how common serious complications are to the MMR vaccine. Crunch the numbers.

Right now, you're relatively safe. You're freeloading off of the rest of the country's immunity. But as soon as you get a community of anti-vaxxers together, the viruses start proliferating again, like in this case. Get your ideas to spread, and enjoy infant mortality rates returning to the 19th century standard.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 20:20 DukeFNukem

WarPig wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:18:
nin wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:09:
You've been lying low way too long!

Oh, so now you're calling me a liar?

You know, I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I'm in a really, really good mood right now!

Maybe the drugs?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 19:55 DukeFNukem

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 19:51 DukeFNukem

robdot wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 15:33:
These anti vacc people are all over ohio.

Correction, were all over the world. And it's only gonna get worse, like a virus that just keeps spreading and spreading and spreading until the drug companies go bust.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 21:25 DukeFNukem

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:16:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:09:
I haven't purchased a Blu-Ray anything...ever. I don't see the point. By the time I invest in the technology, and invest in building a significant library, "Super Uber Mega Deluxe 9000 SEE-THE-SWEAT-DRIP-OFF-A-HOBBIT'S-BALLSACK-HAIR 2048K" is the new standard. Fuck it, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the like are good enough for me. If I want to watch a movie, it's for the story and spectacle. The fact that it is .075% less black than flavor-of-the-month optical media is pointless to me. I just don't have the crippling level of autism or OCD needed to notice it.

You make it sound like it is costly, timely and hard. You just go pay $50 like a DVD player back in the day, plug it in (now you got netflix to) and you rent or buy like you did DVDs. So you don't have to try and complex it all up with a bunch o words like that.

I agree, for many they are happy with the quality they do get via cable and streaming. I'm just saying in my case it is noticeably better than anything else right now (I haven't seen home 4k feeds yet), but if one doesn't care they don't care. I still do and there are still several levels of videophiles above me.

I've said about 5 years ago, expect streaming bit rates to be played with and lowered when it allows more content to be offered and saves the companies $$$. That is the nature of the beast. With BR there is no compromise like that going on, they can give you full rez at high bit rates on the same single disk.

Agreed, the Burrito is being kind of a tool. He complains about investing money in Blu-Ray technology(yeah $50, big investment) yet he "apparently" has invested thousands in a cell phone, a laptop, a desktop, a home theatre system and a tablet. But ask him to spend $50 bucks to watch NetFlix or Blu-Rays? HOW DARE YOU!!!! LOL!!! Oh and it appears he probably owns a "major console" as well. I'm guessing that "major console" set him back more than $50.00.

Oh, and try stacking 100 USB flash drives on top of each other and then compare it with a stack of 100 Blu-Ray discs side-by-side and tell me which one is easier to manage. And which one takes up more space. DL Blu-Ray discs hold 50GB. The average cost of a 64GB flash(which would be the minimum size required to sufficiently hold a DL Blu-Ray movie is at least $20.00. So yeah, might wanna rethink your flash drive suggestion for the next generation of UHD formats. Why did I even respond to Burrito's post? God, I feel so "trolled".

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 21:32.

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:49 DukeFNukem

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:45:

A market will remain but the relevance of physical media has decreased and I believe will continue to do so. It will be a long time before enough people have a good enough connection for consumer physical media to be entirely irrelevant but I think it is fair to say that it fading.

(I like Windows 8 but hey... )

You and 12% of all other operating system users on planet earth. Enjoy!

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:46 DukeFNukem

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:40:
I like that the image quality is so much better on Bluray than any streaming I've done. I mean, if it's a dark movie, and so many are these days, you get so much more detail in the shadows.

I dislike that I have to own Blurays. I have something like 300 DVDs. Not only will I probably only want to watch maybe 10 of those ever again, but they look terrible on modern TVs. They haven't held up. They're a whole bunch of wasted space.

If you feel that way, sell them or give them away to somebody less fortunate who wants to watch them. I'm thinking EBay or a poor relative? You get your space back and somebody gets to enjoy what you already did.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:36 DukeFNukem

There's like a ton of inventions that aren't going to have the same impact that the previous generation of the same invention had but to go around suggesting that they will be ignored is ludicrous. Intels 5th generation CPU's will not be revolutionary. They are evolutionary. They are better than their 4th generation Core CPUs. But will they be ignored? Hardly. Streaming is fine when it works and where it is available. But you have the same elitist attitude as the original article poster. Not everybody on planet Earth has Gbps fiber to their homes. You can only revolutionize something so many times. That's why Windows 8 is a complete failure. Trying way too hard to revolutionize something that didn't need to be revolutionized. Windows 8 should have been Windows 7 evolved, not "re-imagined" to the point of insanity.

Edit: Oh guess I need to add this to make my point. But yeah, I got roadrunner broadband which is pretty damn good. And I still wouldn't say, "Oh well, I got streaming abilities so who needs physical discs". Your at the mercy of Netflix and Roadrunner to see your movies on demand. Both have to be working when you wanna watch. So, while it's not often that you might not get to watch what you want when you want because of network problems, the possibility still exists. And when it does happen its a bummer.
So yeah, give me UHD 4k discs. I am ready.

Not to mention, this is the perfect way to create mass adoption of BDXL discs for consumer use. And that will translate into BDXL BD-R discs prices coming down to reasonable levels.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 18:44.

256 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo