Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DukeFNukem

Real Name DukeFNukem   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DukeFNukem
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 19, 2004, 02:20
Total Comments 283 (Amateur)
User ID 22104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
86. Re: Into the Black Feb 12, 2015, 21:13 DukeFNukem

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 21:06:
Christ, I get home from work and there's tinfoil everywhere.

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:45:
Anyone who doesn't question what they believe daily is a moron.

It's also moronic to believe that philosophy should apply to all beliefs. Some things don't need to be questioned. The sun will rise tomorrow. Gravity will keep your feet on the ground. You will require food for sustenance. Your reflection will be in the mirror. And a medical treatment with two centuries worth of study and demonstrable success will continue to not be a scam, or cause autism, or turn your head into a cow (an oldy but a goody).

*sigh* You didn't have to take my statement THAT literally now did you? But I like what you did there. Equating the absolute certainity of the rising of the sun with the proven effectiveness of two centuries worth of study. Smooth player, smooth! I'll give you the respect you deserve. I guess I am just an overly cautious person. When someone wants to stick a brand new virus in my veins every 12 months, that specific vaccination doesn't have 2 centuries of proven anything. But I appreciate the civil comments. I get carried away sometimes myself. I'll try to keep it more real.I know "most of us" just want the truth.

Edit: *sigh*, I read your comment again. It makes blanket statements fairly frivously. near the end. Something doesn't have to be a scam to be pushed more than necessary in the name of money. You used the word scam. I would more accurately use the word greed.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2015, 21:22.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:53 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:43:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:14:

Life savings vaccines that have never killed anybody right? That's why the government has granted full-immunity from any lawsuits against drug companies that produce vaccines that might kill a few people. What's a few innocently slaughtered people if we are savings millions, yes? But we won't file those deaths under manslaughter, we'll just call it, "taking one for the team".

You're being disingenuous. Yes, it's true that vaccine makers are immune from being sued. That's because there's already a system to handle claims.
At issue in the ruling was the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986, a law that created a special program to handle disputes in an effort to ensure a stable vaccine supply by shielding companies from most lawsuits.

The federal program, involving what is known as the vaccine court, has awarded more than $1.8 billion for vaccine injury claims in nearly 2,500 cases since 1989. It is funded by a tax on vaccines.

And if a few people have to die so that millions may live, I think that's a trade any society would be willing to make.

You make good points. I won't deny that. But this is just not so black and white. But then again both sides do. That's all I can say for now.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

82. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:45 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:03:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:53:
Dear Anti-Vaxxers,

Links or GTFO.

kthxbye

My link:

Sith deal in absolutes

While I appreciate what you're trying to say, this isn't really a "he said, she said" kind of argument. One side has hundreds of studies examining hundreds of millions of people, and the other side has vague conspiratorial opinions. I would be completely open to debate if they wished to produce evidence, but all they're capable of is casting aspersions.

Anyone who doesn't question what they believe daily is a moron. Who did the studies? Who funded them? How long ago? Conspiratorial, just like the NSA spying on everybody. Is that the kind of conspiracy you mean? Or were you just trying to imply that taking a cautious approach to what our government says is a silly thing to do? Wow, you are hell bent on convincing yourself that vaccines are mankinds salvation aren't you? Well, as my forum friend says, I am spent. To each their own. I'll just have to be labelled the bad guy as much as it hurts me. If politicians and drug corporations weren't such crooked people that would make the issue less cloudy. You can cite all the scientific data in the world. But viewing that data in isolation is dangerous as well.

Oh God, Im sorry. Did I say politicians lie through their *#*^@^! teeth? Please forgive me. Politicians don't lie anymore. They 'misspeak'.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2015, 20:58.

77. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:33 DukeFNukem

beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:23:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:12:
beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:09:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:59:
Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:49:

Ok, that was awesome. I LOL'd at that.

So did I, oddly enough. LOL. "Evil selfish anti-vaxxers. Wah! Wah!". Awesome! I've always considered myself in the same category as a rapist and a murderer. We're such evil selfish people.

Hey, nice attempt at "self introspection." Not sure where the whole "rapist" thing came from, but then again, you probably know yourself better than we do.

Oh my God, have you ever heard of the word sarcasm? Please look it up, for my sake. If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere.

No, I have never heard of it. What is this "sarcasm" that you mention?

If you would explain it to me ...

I'd be ever so grateful.

Well, then your post was just plain ignorant. Of course, calling anti-vaxxers(that's the most evil nickname you could come up with, hilarious) evil is about as stupid as it gets. So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I would think something more like rapists or mass-murderers would sell more vaccines than just anti-vaxxer...oohhhh scary person.

I guess your reading comprehesion is on the level of a 3rd grader so I'll explain where rapist came from. "Oh those EVIL anti-vaxxers." Okay, who is evil in the world? Murderers? Check. Rapist? Check. Anti-vaxxers? (LOL) Check!!!!

If your can't figure it from here, your on your own. I gotta eat my dinner sometime tonight. But God, this has been fun.

76. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:31 DukeFNukem

beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:23:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:12:

So did I, oddly enough. LOL. "Evil selfish anti-vaxxers. Wah! Wah!". Awesome! I've always considered myself in the same category as a rapist and a murderer. We're such evil selfish people.

Hey, nice attempt at "self introspection." Not sure where the whole "rapist" thing came from, but then again, you probably know yourself better than we do.

Oh my God, have you ever heard of the word sarcasm? Please look it up, for my sake. If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere.

No, I have never heard of it. What is this "sarcasm" that you mention?

If you would explain it to me ...

I'd be ever so grateful.

Well, then your post was just plain ignorant. Of course, calling anti-vaxxers(that's the most evil nickname you could come up with, hilarious) evil is about as stupid as it gets. So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I would think something more like rapists or mass-murderers would sell more vaccines than just anti-vaxxer...oohhhh scary person.

73. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:24 DukeFNukem

beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:20:
Yeah, I saw that whole "Hilary and Obama are anti-vax too" meme floating around the media too.

It's what you call "false balance." They don't want to own up to how batshit fucking crazy the Right Wing in this country is, so they try to dredge up quotes from some prominent Democrats to "balance" things out.

Did everybody catch how the media did this? They went back SIX YEARS AGO to find some wishy washy quotes from Obama and Clinton. Gee, I wonder why they had to go back that far? It couldn't be because, oh I don't know, in the intervening SIX YEARS their perspectives evolved a little bit?

I know the media and the Right want to play this as a "both sides do it" issue, so here's my challenge for you, Mel Gibson:

Name one prominent Democratic politician, JUST ONE, who is on the anti-vaxer side of the equation. Remember, I'm only asking for ONE. And no, I'm not talking about some random woo woo Democratic SUPPORTER, I'm talking about someone with a prominent role in the party. And no, you don't get to backward in time six years to do it.

You want to know how many prominent Republican politicians I could name?

How much time do you got?

Ever heard Bill Maher speak? I'm guessing no?

70. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:19 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:12:
Yes, yes! Politicians lie and governments can't be trusted! You must move somewhere without them right away! The libertarian paradise of Somalia beckons! You can be a sovereign citizen!

Your response to his second point is just as silly. Rape and murder require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Telling me a vaccine saved my life or somebody's else when it could have easily been my own immune system is the poster child argument of one of the most typical fallacies in logical argument. It's akin to, "Show me your God, if you can't show me your God than he doesn't exists". Ignorant unprovable arguments like this are not the way to sway people to your side.
And you missed the point. We actually don't let people do whatever they want to, as the poster claimed. When it affects others, we make laws governing that. Not getting vaccinated affects others.

So, I've blown the first 2 of your responses all to hell and back. No point, in responding to any others. I'm sure you'll have a reply just as witty and *cough, cough* valid as the first two.
Yes, you're not responding, because you can't. You have no response. There's nothing you can link to or show that refutes the scientific evidence I have presented. You have your opinions, ones that are based upon lies, misconceptions, and false assumptions.

Wow, truly amazing. The free pass you give politicians. Nobody said move out of the country because politicians lie through their *#^%(@) teeth. It's simply making a point. Christ Jesus, you need to lighten up just a bit. I know we disagree but we have had better conversations before. You seem to be in delusional mode right now.

You have gone into "Sith Mode" again as a previous poster was kind enough to point out. This is not a black and white issue. Stop claiming your superiority on the issue. Are you an immunologist? A micro-biologist? What are your credentials? You rely on doctors, scientists, and other authorities just like lil ole me to try and make the best decisions in life. We need to be a little bit more open minded if we are to make any progress. And denying that most politicians are crooks is just burying your head in the sand.

69. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 20:12 DukeFNukem

65. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 19:59 DukeFNukem

beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:43:
Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:59:
I've done my homework. But my conclusions are not the same in every case. Plus, I am probably personally biased towards a more primal version of evolution. The weakest in the herd are holding it back.

The only good thing about this debate is that it should expose the anti-vaxers as the totally selfish assholes that they are: a strange hybrid of right wing Ayn Randian types and the most narcissistic aspects of "New Age" culture.

How I wish all the people who just didn't give a shit about anyone else could all go live on an island together where they could all not care about each other together. I'm sure it would be a kind of Social Darwinistic Eden.

61. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 19:07 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:53:
Dear Anti-Vaxxers,

Links or GTFO.

kthxbye

Links don't prove jack shit. All you did in post #41 was put up a link asserting that measles is one of the most virulent virus' in the world. Yeah, anybody here disagree with that? No. So your point is basically, what, you can die of measles so go get your injection? LOL. Oh man.

I could post several but you'd just call bullshit on every one of them and then scream "You evil anti-vaxxer you!!!" and run down the hall crying. So what's the point?

57. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 18:33 DukeFNukem

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:40:
Dearest Red and Julio,

Epidemiology is such that you probably cannot avoid exposure in the manners you are suggesting. Almost every disease, up through Ebola, presents itself like a cold in the beginning. Do you go on lockdown whenever you get a cold? If not, you are definitely spreading the virus. And the idea that everyone could avoid the world when sick(work, family, especially kids) really breaks down at the lower income levels, where people can't afford to rearrange their life.

A related issue is disease reservoirs. Animals and asymptomatic humans can harbor the virus and trigger new outbreaks in unpredictable ways. This is also why we could not destroy the common cold even if everyone in the world avoided each other for two weeks. I think that trying to keep the USA unvaccinated and use only using border control would eventually trigger an epidemic.

The way you people look to vaccines is amazing. Soon nobody will need salvation or religion. We'll all just kneel at the foot of the needle. Wow. Do you seriously think it is wise for humans to try and avoid all germs. Are you suggesting that nobody ever go out who has a common cold? Maybe we should start a vaccination program for wild animals too. Every wild animal must be vaccinated so that we can all live happily ever after. I am not sure what the cost of that would be but if it makes you sleep better at night I would support it.

56. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 18:14 DukeFNukem

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:32:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:17:
And you make getting vaccinated seem so cool and envogue. You are such a hipster. It's just like buying a pack of twinkies on a Saturday night.

Apparently I am too old to know what the fuck you are talking about, but please don't base medical decisions on what is 'cool' or not.

Scientific evidence only. Not Jenny McCarthy(or whatever celebrity), not a refuted autism paper, not any random non peer-reviewed study, not random youtube videos, not suspicion of vast global conspiracies to make fractions of a cent off of life saving medicine.

Good luck, seriously.

Life savings vaccines that have never killed anybody right? That's why the government has granted full-immunity from any lawsuits against drug companies that produce vaccines that might kill a few people. What's a few innocently slaughtered people if we are savings millions, yes? But we won't file those deaths under manslaughter, we'll just call it, "taking one for the team".

By the way, what are your credentials? You seem to be above all that you speak to. And please tell me why you are so against getting knowledge from a video, or an article on the internet...where do you get your knowledge...out of all the crackerjacks that you buy?

By the way the hipster comment was an insult that went over your head. The implication was that your just running with popular opinion. And to use your grammar, Fuck, anybody can do that.

49. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 17:17 DukeFNukem

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:08:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:37:
How many people have died again from measles so far in a population of 300 million? Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? Look me up again when the death toll reaches 1000 U.S. verified unvaccinated healthy citizens and I will reconsider my decision.

So it'll take a thousand deaths to convince you to vaccinate? In that case, please vaccinate yourself immediately(maybe even 145 times?), because 145,700 people died from measles worldwide in 2013. Source. There are no reported deaths from measles in the US, Because of our vaccination program. Unfortunately measles cases have been on the rise, so you can probably look forward to measles related deaths in the US in the future.

Please keep babbling about random political appointees though, you are doing good work in making anti-vaxxers seem utterly ridiculous.

And you make getting vaccinated seem so cool and envogue. You are such a hipster. It's just like buying a pack of twinkies on a Saturday night.

46. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 17:13 DukeFNukem

You completely ignored his first valid point. Governments can't be trusted. Politicians lie through their *#^%(@) teeth and they do it with a straight face and without breaking a sweat. They do this for a living. Can you say with a straight face that this is not the case? Seriously?

Your response to his second point is just as silly. Rape and murder require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Telling me a vaccine saved my life or somebody's else when it could have easily been my own immune system is the poster child argument of one of the most typical fallacies in logical argument. It's akin to, "Show me your God, if you can't show me your God than he doesn't exists". Ignorant unprovable arguments like this are not the way to sway people to your side.

So, I've blown the first 2 of your responses all to hell and back. No point, in responding to any others. I'm sure you'll have a reply just as witty and *cough, cough* valid as the first two.

42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 16:37 DukeFNukem

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:05:
Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:39:
Julio wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:25:
If someone else dies from catching an illness from me...well they could choose to be vaccinated themselves. And if they were in a group that did not have that choice - they should be staying away from others when diseases are going around.
it is baffling to me that something this simple and reasonable is so vehemently attacked and belittled (not necessarily so badly in this discussion, but I've seen it so many other times elsewhere)

If you believe in and trust vaccines, get vaccinated. Your concerns stop there. If you cannot, you are the exception. You bear the added responsibility of staying healthy, not literally every other person around you.

Now I'm starting to wonder if you two are part of a trolling team or something.

Assuming for a second you are serious: Vaccinations work well, but they aren't 100% effective, and even a vaccinated person can catch the targeted disease if their immune system is compromised for some reason; HIV, illness, injury, etc.

So in spite of person X's best efforts(he or she was vaccinated, tries to stay away from plague bearers such as yourself), they get sick from some airborne contagion person R is exhaling, before person R even has any symptoms and knows to quarantine his or herself. If Person R was even considerate enough to do so.

In an ideal world, Person X with a weakened immune system would be in far less danger, because 95% or more of his/her fellow citizens vaccinated in order to not kill each other.

In today's world, Person X is probably fucked before they know it, as most diseases are contagious long before symptoms show. Person R has been walking around town, spreading polio or measles or flu either because hey, fuck the world, or they aren't even aware they are sick yet. or Person R's unvaccinated children coughed on Person X's kids, who brought it home to Person X unintentionally.

In short, your suggestion is actually unreasonable and not medically viable. Sorry to break it to you. On the plus side you can thank people who did get vaccinated for not giving you polio or measles or rubella.

Cool, I salute you all. All the vaccine junkies in the U.S. of A who have bought the herd mentality bullshit hook, line and sinker. I salute you!!! Thank You. God Bless You. Still ain't getting a shot out of me but thanks for the offer.

How many people have died again from measles so far in a population of 300 million? Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? Look me up again when the death toll reaches 1000 U.S. verified unvaccinated healthy citizens and I will reconsider my decision. Just for the love of god, please do not appoint Eric Holder to the head of HHS position. We don't need another false botched crisis to pass laws. Oh God, I hope the HHS doesn't read this. I'm giving them ideas.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2015, 16:43.

37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:57 DukeFNukem

Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:39:
Julio wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:25:
If someone else dies from catching an illness from me...well they could choose to be vaccinated themselves. And if they were in a group that did not have that choice - they should be staying away from others when diseases are going around.
it is baffling to me that something this simple and reasonable is so vehemently attacked and belittled (not necessarily so badly in this discussion, but I've seen it so many other times elsewhere)

If you believe in and trust vaccines, get vaccinated. Your concerns stop there. If you cannot, you are the exception. You bear the added responsibility of staying healthy, not literally every other person around you.

Amen!!!! It's so hip and cool to get the latest shot for the current mutation that is sweeping the nation. So, all in favor of, knock yourselves out...me? No, Im cool with not being cool.

Question though, just curious if anybody knows...how many shots would I have to get to protect me from every virus on planet earth that can kill me? And do I have enough time and money to do so?

There's an article every other day now about how the rich and educated are idiots. Ironic huh? Let the propaganda wars rage on!

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:55 DukeFNukem

OMG, Were all gonna die!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! I lost my herd immunity and I don't know where to find it!!!! LOL!!!  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases Feb 7, 2015, 16:50 DukeFNukem

El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 11:26:
Subscription! Subscribe to get your annual Creed, CoD and Battlefield hassle-free!

Use this idea, Ubi, EA, ActiBlizz, and pay me 0.1% of the sales!

Why not, every other software developer is switching to a subscription model. You know the game won't actually be finished upon release, so subscribe to get all the patches.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases Feb 7, 2015, 16:49 DukeFNukem

A "free" giftable copy of Assassins Creed III"? Anybody wanna be friends? I have never bought or played any of them. But it looks good enough, especially if it's free.  

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
45. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:37 DukeFNukem

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Dude SteamOS is out like Star Citizen is out, wtf are you talking about?
Are you drunk?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ Just read what it says there

Yeah choice is good like we have Linux and MacOS and all that great stuff and guess what people use for gaming?
Wonder why. Get a clue
All I am saying is unless SteamOS offers something that is better for users than what we already have noone will use it just like about 5 people uses Linux for gaming

Yeah but Linux is on how many cellphones? Your talking about desktops. More people play cellphone games on Linux than Windows. You need to get a clue.

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo