Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kristian Joensen

Real Name Kristian Joensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kristian Joensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2004, 15:12
Total Comments 95 (Suspect)
User ID 22059

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Linux Hints
6. Re: BioShock Infinite Linux Hints Dec 7, 2014, 16:22 Kristian Joensen

Sho wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 15:59:
Clever Caviar wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 15:53:
Just remember, if you are a penguin powered gamer, and you want your money to go to the Linux devs, you need to buy it when the Linux version is out (assuming you don't have it already). You might be able to buy it now, not install it at all, and then fire it up when the Linux version ships, but I'm not 100% on that.

What's the basis for that? Do you have any hard knowledge that the porting houses sign contracts that scale their pay with number of licenses sold for the platform? I find that unlikely.

See Aspyr_Blair's comment quoted here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GameFly DL Business Sold
1. Re: GameFly DL Business Sold Aug 23, 2014, 14:59 Kristian Joensen

What? Gamefly sold Shacknews? That is news to me. When did this happen? Who bought it?  

News Comments > 3D Realms Responds to Duke Nukem Lawsuit
19. Re: 3D Realms Responds to Duke Nukem Lawsuit Mar 27, 2014, 05:04 Kristian Joensen

Willis wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:35:
Furthermore, it is our position that the Trademark for "Duke Nukem" was never assigned to Gearbox, but remains the sole property of 3DR.

The public US Trademark database seems to disagree.

What good do those trademark registrations do Gearbox if the courts order the USPTO to to invalidate them?

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
14. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 1, 2014, 16:41 Kristian Joensen

Task wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 16:26:
Are they releasing one of the better versions of Duke Nukem Forever?

That is entirely up to Gearbox and quite unlikely.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
12. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 1, 2014, 16:06 Kristian Joensen

Courtesy of a Redditor that deciphered the text, via Lunick on the Duke4.net forums: http://imgur.com/lRvOyLm.jpg  

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
79. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 21:29 Kristian Joensen

I get it, I don't take it in the ass and so I am the enemy of all of gaming, right. Noted.  

77. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:37 Kristian Joensen

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:31:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:55:
The existence of naive people is nothing new. Oh well. It is hilarious to me how anyone can get anything else out of that Twitter conversation. Every mention of GOG by somebody (that was not ignored) being followed up by a mention of Steam as if GOG doesn't even exist. The conclusion is obvious.

Of course! If they say something about GOG, and it never materializes, people like you will flip out. But, when they don't say anything, you're flipping out anyway.

The worst part is you call others naive. Fuck that. You're entitled and a nuisance.

Remember when we used to have .plan files? Do you know why that stopped? Because of people like you. You call yourself a fan, but you ruin everything for everyone. You overanalyze and whine and complain. When someone mentions something and you don't like it you address them directly and complain. When someone doesn't mention something you want to hear you address them directly and complain. You call them liars. You call everyone else naive.

Do you understand how software development works? Some things work. Some things don't work. With games, some things are fun. Some things aren't. With .plans, devs used to discuss things early in development. Sometimes they ended up not working and got cut. Sometimes they ended up not fun and got cut. But people like you threw shitfits and, guess what, devs stopped talking to the community because it became a no-win situation.

All this PR speak you claim to be so knowledgeable about is a direct result of people like you being shitty.
Why do we know nothing about Half Life 3? Because of "fans" like you.

You don't even realize how shitty you are, do you? You think you're a good, knowledgeable, intelligent fan. But you aren't a fan. You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy, and because of that all the rest of us are kept in the dark.

All of this coming from someone claiming I overanalyze? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You have no idea of what type of gamer and person I am.

"You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy,"

So all the good things I have said about GOG, cd Project, Valve, Devolver Digital, Human Head, Remedy, id Software and others(Even including Bethesda/ZeniMax on some points) is treating them like enemies? HAHAHAHAH. You are very funny.

73. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:31 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:29:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

I saw right through that statement just like him as well.

Arx Fatalis on GOG

You should totally start your own blog about how the NSA is working with these game companies! And the price of tinfoil going through the roof!

Please stop lying about what I said.

70. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:26 Kristian Joensen

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

I saw right through that statement just like him as well.

Arx Fatalis on GOG

68. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:55 Kristian Joensen

The existence of naive people is nothing new. Oh well. It is hilarious to me how anyone can get anything else out of that Twitter conversation. Every mention of GOG by somebody (that was not ignored) being followed up by a mention of Steam as if GOG doesn't even exist. The conclusion is obvious.  

65. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:48 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:45:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:43:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:39:
Obviously. The fact that you took all that away from a single quote is scary.

Years and years of experience of reading PR statements and seeing subsequent actions will do that to you, nothing scary about it. On the the other hand thinking PR people ever speak in anything even remotely reminiscent of a straightforward manner is naive in the extreme.

Honestly, when you got to comparing them to the NSA, I was laughing.

What is it with all the crazy around here lately?

I am only comparing them in the PR department. Both parties word statements extremely carefully. Nothing crazy about that.

63. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:43 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:39:
Obviously. The fact that you took all that away from a single quote is scary.

Years and years of experience of reading PR statements and seeing subsequent actions will do that to you, nothing scary about it. On the the other hand thinking PR people ever speak in anything even remotely reminiscent of a straightforward manner is naive in the extreme.

61. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:37 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:19:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:12:
Bethesda has confirmed using PR speak that the games won't be coming back to GOG: https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418877286989840384

He says:
@Theokritos our first priority is returning the content to Steam.

Where in that does he say they won't be coming back to gog?

I said he confirmed it in PR speak, not English. If there was any chance the games would be put back up on GOG they would have said that there would be more news about that later or the like. If it was already decided that GOG would get them back he would just outright say yes that is coming. In the PR word you strive avoid negative speech to the greatest possible extent. Saying for example: "Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics won't be coming to GOG" is bad PR. Instead they dress it up in language about priorities.

They could do it for years, other companies have done similar things, somone could ask them in a year and they could say something like "GOG is not a priority for us at the momement" or "Unfortunately we don't have the man power to fix up the GOG versions". That is if they say anything at all. One of the favorite ways for a PR person to say no is simply to ignore inquiries.

ZeniMax/Bethesda and Gearbox have some of the slimiest PR practices in the gaming industry. Almost rivaling the NSA. Every word out of those companies mouths are very very carefully crafted PR statements, sometimes bordering on lies. Like the way Bethesda has very carefully worded their denial of Arkane taking over Prey 2 development.

I am sorry but I am an extreme cynic about these matters.

59. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:12 Kristian Joensen

Bethesda has confirmed using PR speak that the games won't be coming back to GOG: https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418877286989840384  

News Comments > Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials
14. Re: Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials Dec 31, 2013, 10:10 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:22:
The only thing that keeps me from really raving about the game is that the combat gets extremely repetitive.

That's exactly why I got bored with it. I really liked the story elements, and was always wondering what would happen next, but the combat just killed that game for me.

Between AW and Max Payne, Remedy seems to make games based around a single gameplay element (flashlight and slow time, respectively). And if you get bored with that one element, nothing can save the rest of the game.

That reminds me of Max Payne: The Making of a Franchise

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor
9. Re: Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor Oct 31, 2013, 05:24 Kristian Joensen

So the news here is literally that somebody may have done something?  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Outed?
2. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 09:46 Kristian Joensen

Is Lost in the Multiplex owned by Ubisoft? Why have they edited his response?  

News Comments > Unconfirmed Grand Theft Auto V PC Listing Shows March Date
8. Re: Unconfirmed Grand Theft Auto V PC Listing Shows March Date Sep 25, 2013, 10:34 Kristian Joensen

The way I read the Norwegian text is that it costs 1274 NOK if you buy it using store credit. In other words if you borrow the money from komplett.no you end up paying 1274 NOK(~212 USD) in total(price of game + interest + fees).  

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 07:59 Kristian Joensen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 20:03:
Not supporting Linux makes sense from a financial standpoint. The Linux gamer userbase is so tiny that it wouldn't really be worth the costs involved in porting the games to Linux. I imagine that GOG's profit margin is already small enough as it is.

Ehhm.... the ports are already done. GOG is just the distributor. The port for say The Book of Unwritten Tales already exists and is currently being distributed on Steam. GOG only needs to upload some files to their servers, they do NOT need to do any porting work themselves.

95 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo