Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kristian Joensen

Real Name Kristian Joensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kristian Joensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2004, 15:12
Total Comments 105 (Novice)
User ID 22059

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
14. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 12:07 Kristian Joensen

The thing the media almost never mentions about this case is that when 3DR sold the rights to the IP, they still reserved certain rights. Such as the Duke movie rights, the rights to all pre-DNF Duke games and the rights to complete certain specified Duke games. Including a game called "Duke Nukem Survivor". They maintained that Duke Nukem Mass Destruction WAS the Survivor game.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2015, 12:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Diablo Job Posting
26. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 11, 2015, 06:58 Kristian Joensen

When they release a game that can be playef offline I might give them a chance, until then Blizzard might as well not exist as far as I am concerned.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X
9. Re: Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X Apr 14, 2015, 11:57 Kristian Joensen

"Mortal Kombat X is now available for Windows, PlayStation 4, and Linux."

Linux? Were do you get that from. It is not mentioned in the press release.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
47. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 10, 2015, 16:25 Kristian Joensen

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 19:10:
Not releasing on Steam is pretty silly anyway. Sure, it's a 30% cut, and that may be more than what GOG or Origin or Uplay or GMG or whatever take, but Steam also has by far the most potential customers.

It's better to sell 50000 copies with a 30% cut taken out than it is to not sell 50000 copies.

I am a huge fan of GOG but they are also taking 30%: http://www.gog.com/indie

News Comments > Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm
15. Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 06:37 Kristian Joensen

ChaosEngine wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 18:24:
Oh please, if they really wanted they could just literally remake it. They already have working Homeworld 1 in their fancy engine, and Cataclysm just expanded on that anyway.

Remaking a game without the source is a significantly more difficult undertaking than updating an existing game with a new engine. Do you know exactly what the speed, turn rates, damage, fire rates, AI behaviours of the beast are? Neither do Gearbox.

So yeah, they could remake it, but it would be a big job and then people like you would just whinge when they charged full price for it.

EricFate wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:27:
All they need to do is include hooks for modding tools. Sooner or later, someone will get around to making a working version of Cataclysm.

Apparently, it will have mod support.

Got a source for that? I have a hard time beleiving Gearbox would allow mod support on any of their games.

News Comments > Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop
10. Re: Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop Jan 29, 2015, 00:58 Kristian Joensen

ChaosEngine wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 22:44:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 20:47:
Reminds me of when Apple announced years back they had paid out 100 million or so to app devs...

Assuming Valve takes the usual 30%, and round it slightly to 33%, that means they've made 25 million 'free' dollars just for hosting that transaction...

Where does all their money go, if not (many) new features, or games...

Your math offends me. Please explain where you get 25 million dollars as either 30% or 33% of $50mil?

As to where the money goes, Steam doesn't host itself you know. The data centre costs aren't cheap. Plus each item has to go through a submission process. Most items probably never recoup the costs of that process.

Finally, they're a company, and they like this thing we call profit. Valve are not in any way obligated to reinvest all their money back into games.

Anyway, it sounds like Homeworld is going to participate in this... can't wait.

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 22:04:
How about allowing people to sell their used games ya pricks?

On what planet is a digital copy of a game in any way "used"? It just makes no sense at all.

The 50 million is what is paid out, that is after Valve takes its cut, so that is 2/3 in this scenario. Surely half of 2/3 is 1/3? Surely half of 50 million is 25 million?

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
64. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 21:47 Kristian Joensen

Krovven wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 19:35:
Intrusive? Lol. How so? I don't think you know the meaning. It auto logs you in when you load the game. It behaves like it's not even there...unless you go to the website to view the info.

I logged in to Social Club every time I loaded the PS3 game and never even saw it. I logged in for GTA IV and for Max Payne 3. Never once have I ever had an issue.

People claiming they and others should pirate because they have stick up their ass over Social Club, these people are the problem and you are a bunch of fucking cunts.

I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to.

How about you actually read what I wrote? I spefically said that I will NOT pirate the game and that I am willing to give Rockstar Social Club a chance.

It is the periodic online "entitlement" checks and hardware based DRM I have an issue with. You know the kinds of DRM that require good, stable internet connections and interfere with you upgrading your computer. That is what GTAV will have.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
55. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 18:11 Kristian Joensen

Slick wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 17:37:
i spent a good 15 minutes dissecting this rubbish post, so i'll remove the offending 2 words that got it pulled and repost: because other than rewording the posters last 2 words, nothing in my post is any worse than the shit i personally endure, and see flung at others daily. after the offending 2 words have been pulled, i can't see there be any issue with this, if there is, well then there's a few people who post here who need to have every post they've ever made taken down... YOU know who i mean

NamecaF wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 02:28:
Rockstar gets the big ol' fuck you on numerous other grounds including, but not limited to:

• The messed up bollocks that was GTA 4 on PC

• 7 years ago. you sure know how to hold a grudge. I mean it didn't perform great, but it was far superior than the console version, remember buying it day one. Not to mention it looks better than GTA V after the IcEnhancer and realism mods. so what is your problem again?

• Shitty, arrogant treatment of their PC fans

• By building and releasing a PC version of that game everyone wants to play on PC? those pricks!

• Charging $80+ for a game that came out more than a year ago

• I assume that it's $80 for all games where you live, so there's no shock here. Did you know that they're still charging full price for Arma3? that released 2 YEARS AGO!!! those BASTARDS!

• Their bullshit abuse of power and altering games post-release (removing tracks from GTA San Andreas even for those that bought it before said changes took effect)

• abuse of power? slightly altering something that they created? abuse of power!?! do you even hear yourself? not to mention that one's 11 years old, wow you REALLY keep a grudge. Shit, i've forgiven PEOPLE who did something mildly irritating 11 minutes ago, but you can hang onto this so close to your heart 11 years later? hats off, the hate is strong with this one.

• Their blatant pushing (and integration) of their stupid Social Club bollocks

• Yeah, you missed the whole reason Steam was invented in the first place, to tell 3rd party publishers to go fuck themselves. The people who MAKE the game, deserve to PUBLISH the game themselves. Welcome to 2004.

• Their bold face lying, flippant attitude and lack of communication

• Are you talking about an ex girlfriend? they're a videogame company, you sound ridiculous. you see that right...? because you sound like you've been hurt so deeply, that you can never love again. just sayin. might wanna keep that shit to yourself.

• Treating genuine buyers like pirates

• Don't even know where you're going with this. let me guess, releasing their game, on their e-store service, is treating you like a pirate? That's like "having to deal with a teller at the Walmart is a hassle, why don't they just trust me to pay for it! they treat me like a thief! I hate it how there's a small process involved with buying things, it's so anti-consumer! This direct download right to my computer is so damned inconvenient!"

• Shitty, shitty DRM policy

• care to go into more detail? I logged into social club i think once when i first installed GTA 4 on PC, and that was it. oh right, i forgot that after that the world exploded, the sky fell, and dogs and cats were seen playing together. what the fuck is your doomsday scenario about having to log into a thing?

Other requirements: Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification; software installations required including Rockstar Games Social Club platform, DirectX, Chromium, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 sp1 Redistributable Package, and authentication software that recognizes certain hardware attributes for entitlement, digital rights management, system, and other support purposes. Single use serial code registration via internet required; registration is limited to one Rockstar Games Social Club Account (13+) per serial code; only one log-in allowed per Social Club account at any time; serial code(s) are non-transferable once used; Social Club accounts are non-transferrable.
    If you're trying to scare people with legalese, posting a paragraph that seems utterly boilerplate in any EULA isn't very frightening. quote something that says R* heretofore owns your first born child, and i'll say "well done".

You should probably actually read EULAs more often, because having to log into their thing, and only getting one copy of the thing you just bought isn't going to lose anyone any sleep. to install a free flashlight app on my phone requires access to my phonelist contacts, my google contacts, my browsing history, my location, and my call history. and that's not even a bad one.

Fuck them.

OKIE DOKIE ^_^

This is the reason why some of us won't be getting this game on PC(and no I will NOT be pirating it either):

" internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification;"

and:

"and authentication software that recognizes certain hardware attributes for entitlement"

I can live with games authenticating online once, upon install ala Steam. I am NOT okay with games requiring me to be online periodically, I am NOT okay with games having hardware based DRM.

I am not really okay with having to login to anything other than Steam but I might consider giving Rockstar Social Club a chance if it wasn't for those matters.

So we are NOT talking about any boilerplate legalese here at all, we are talking intrusive DRM.

News Comments > ROTT TTURNS TTWENTTY
    15. Re: ROTT TTURNS TTWENTTY Dec 23, 2014, 09:26 Kristian Joensen

Actually Joe is no longer a former 3D Realms employee: https://3drealms.com/team/  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    8. Your complete guide to free (and legal!) TV streaming. Dec 21, 2014, 10:51 Kristian Joensen

"Your complete guide to free (and legal!) TV streaming."

If you are lucky enough to live in the United States that is!

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Linux Hints
    6. Re: BioShock Infinite Linux Hints Dec 7, 2014, 16:22 Kristian Joensen

Sho wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 15:59:
    Clever Caviar wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 15:53:
    Just remember, if you are a penguin powered gamer, and you want your money to go to the Linux devs, you need to buy it when the Linux version is out (assuming you don't have it already). You might be able to buy it now, not install it at all, and then fire it up when the Linux version ships, but I'm not 100% on that.

What's the basis for that? Do you have any hard knowledge that the porting houses sign contracts that scale their pay with number of licenses sold for the platform? I find that unlikely.

See Aspyr_Blair's comment quoted here.

News Comments > GameFly DL Business Sold
    1. Re: GameFly DL Business Sold Aug 23, 2014, 14:59 Kristian Joensen

What? Gamefly sold Shacknews? That is news to me. When did this happen? Who bought it?  

News Comments > 3D Realms Responds to Duke Nukem Lawsuit
    19. Re: 3D Realms Responds to Duke Nukem Lawsuit Mar 27, 2014, 05:04 Kristian Joensen

Willis wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:35:
    Furthermore, it is our position that the Trademark for "Duke Nukem" was never assigned to Gearbox, but remains the sole property of 3DR.

The public US Trademark database seems to disagree.

What good do those trademark registrations do Gearbox if the courts order the USPTO to to invalidate them?

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
    14. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 1, 2014, 16:41 Kristian Joensen

Task wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 16:26:
    Are they releasing one of the better versions of Duke Nukem Forever?

That is entirely up to Gearbox and quite unlikely.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
    12. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 1, 2014, 16:06 Kristian Joensen

Courtesy of a Redditor that deciphered the text, via Lunick on the Duke4.net forums: http://imgur.com/lRvOyLm.jpg  

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
    79. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 21:29 Kristian Joensen

I get it, I don't take it in the ass and so I am the enemy of all of gaming, right. Noted.  

77. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:37 Kristian Joensen

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:31:
    Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:55:
    The existence of naive people is nothing new. Oh well. It is hilarious to me how anyone can get anything else out of that Twitter conversation. Every mention of GOG by somebody (that was not ignored) being followed up by a mention of Steam as if GOG doesn't even exist. The conclusion is obvious.

Of course! If they say something about GOG, and it never materializes, people like you will flip out. But, when they don't say anything, you're flipping out anyway.

The worst part is you call others naive. Fuck that. You're entitled and a nuisance.

Remember when we used to have .plan files? Do you know why that stopped? Because of people like you. You call yourself a fan, but you ruin everything for everyone. You overanalyze and whine and complain. When someone mentions something and you don't like it you address them directly and complain. When someone doesn't mention something you want to hear you address them directly and complain. You call them liars. You call everyone else naive.

Do you understand how software development works? Some things work. Some things don't work. With games, some things are fun. Some things aren't. With .plans, devs used to discuss things early in development. Sometimes they ended up not working and got cut. Sometimes they ended up not fun and got cut. But people like you threw shitfits and, guess what, devs stopped talking to the community because it became a no-win situation.

All this PR speak you claim to be so knowledgeable about is a direct result of people like you being shitty.
    Why do we know nothing about Half Life 3? Because of "fans" like you.

You don't even realize how shitty you are, do you? You think you're a good, knowledgeable, intelligent fan. But you aren't a fan. You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy, and because of that all the rest of us are kept in the dark.

All of this coming from someone claiming I overanalyze? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You have no idea of what type of gamer and person I am.

"You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy,"

So all the good things I have said about GOG, cd Project, Valve, Devolver Digital, Human Head, Remedy, id Software and others(Even including Bethesda/ZeniMax on some points) is treating them like enemies? HAHAHAHAH. You are very funny.

73. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:31 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:29:
    Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:26:
    Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
    How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

I saw right through that statement just like him as well.

Arx Fatalis on GOG

You should totally start your own blog about how the NSA is working with these game companies! And the price of tinfoil going through the roof!

Please stop lying about what I said.

70. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:26 Kristian Joensen

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
    How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

I saw right through that statement just like him as well.

Arx Fatalis on GOG

105 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo