Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 6605 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

That AMA on Reddit the other day with James Cameron was pretty awesome. If you don't want to wade through all the comments, this recap at slashfilm covers most of his movie-related stuff.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 14, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

Windows Phone 8.1 review: a magnificent smartphone platform.

Sounds like an improvement. I'll have to update my wife's phone. MS has been gaining market share, which is a positive thing. Having only Android and Apple dominating the market place is a bad thing.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

Comcast 'Deeply Disappointed' in Their Awful Customer Service. Finally learning to relate to their customers. Making a token effort in order to get their merger with TWC approved.

Fixed that for ya there Blue.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 15:13:
Was it worth it? Yes, but not at that price.

I just wanted to point out that, by definition, it means it wasn't worth it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 14, 2014, 15:24 jdreyer

Verizon, AT&T and Sprint Disable Download Boost on Galaxy S5.

Well, yeah, it SHOULD be something you have to turn on. The potential to blow through your cap makes that obvious.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2014, 15:20 jdreyer

I want my MTV GTAV on PC!  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered CE Includes Light-up Ship
23. Re: Homeworld Remastered Includes Light-up Ship Apr 14, 2014, 14:34 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 04:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 16:16:
They didn't have to re-release the classics, you know... If it weren't Gearbox, you'd have a mobile remake instead (these guys were bidding on the IP, also). I doubt they're overly concerned with throwing money at the remastering when they could be putting that into the inevitable sequel.

Hang on a sec are you telling me Gearbox is also working on a sequel to Homerworld 1/2?? Fucking hell, that is not good news...

I know, right? Borderlands series TOTALLY sucked.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
20. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 04:21 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 01:50:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 00:02:
Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

Why are you feeding that stupid troll? When the ignore function came in he was one of the first put on it by most everyone. When it's restored it'll be the same. Jesus, we need that back.

And no, if the internet ended tomorrow it would be a rough adjustment but it'd happen. For a great many people around the globe the internet still doesn't exist. And even here there are plenty who don't use it or use it infrequently. Shit my brother is a total luddite. Doesn't even have an email account. Once in a blue moon he'll look at a sports site on his wife's tablet but that's it.

There would be upsides to the internet disappearing too, you know.

*sigh*

I keep hoping people will look at things logically, and use logic to defend their opinions, instead of just spewing talking points or unsubstantiated opinions. I also know that the conservative psychology is fear based and physiological, but I believe that all people are capable of seeing and accepting practical solutions that are proven to work (Yes, I know there is research that undermines that too). But I also believe there's a learned component that can be unlearned or worked around if the phrasing is right. I was watching Cameron's new global warming documentary today, and was floored that everyone in Plainview, TX believed that the current half-decade drought was part of the natural cycle and not related to AGW (as we know it is). Now I can't believe that every single person in Plainview is a physiological conservative, so there must be a lack of info there that's causing this phenomenon. And where there's a lack of info, people can be taught. Hope springs eternal.

As far as the internet goes, the problem isn't what happens if the internet disappears, it's what happens if it DOESN'T. Already, many functions that used to be offline have become exclusively or nearly exclusively online: News, job hunting, house hunting, classified ads, photo printing, my kid's homework, maps, etc. Old analog methods of accomplishing these are falling more and more by the wayside each year. And many things can be done either online or offline, the offline process is vastly more complicated and time consuming, like taxes, traffic alerts, and movie rentals. So, the internet becomes more vital to our daily lives year after year, yet access to it is controlled by a small cabal of megacorporations which is a monopoly or duopoly in most markets. Just now I discovered this excellent article which makes all the same arguments I've been making. Axis is gonna love it.

17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 00:02 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:24:
Nin you are a coward, you troll every post that insults people, most of which you have on ignore.

JD, underhanded insults are ineffectual and just portrays the poster as insecure and ineffective. You think by making long-stretch analogies you are obscuring and being smart.

I stand by what I said, nothing else to add. You can stand by your statement about the internet:
"either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it."
while you compare its "essentially" to water and electricity...

The "people" can continue to think whatever they like about whoever they choose.

Okay, fine. You oppose nationalization, and you oppose regulation. What's your solution to the current problem of monopolistic or duopolistic internet connectivity? Because the current system will leave us stuck at 10mbps for $100/month for decades.

16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 23:50 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 22:06:
Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:54:
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 20:58:
Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it

And it's things like that which make you sound stupid. The internet is used 97% for vapid nonsense. The other 3% could be done without it.

How do you get a job without the internet?
How do you keep a job without the internet?

What a pampered and sheltered life you must live.

Think so? Cut your internet for 3 months. Let us know how it works out for you. It's non-essential, so should be no problem, right?

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered CE Includes Light-up Ship
14. Re: Homeworld Remastered Includes Light-up Ship Apr 13, 2014, 23:28 jdreyer

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:06:
I don't want the game because I already paid for it over 10 years ago.

So, play the old one. No one is forcing you to buy this.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 20:09 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 19:11:
I don't need any more Steam sales. I have enough unplayed/unfinished games as it is.

Yeah, I went throughout 2013 without buying a game from Steam at all, until the Autumn sale.

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 20:03 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 19:10:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:58:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:26:
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.

See, it's binary statements like that that make people think you're stupid.

Ding ding ding!

Hope springs eternal.

On the other hand, as Einstein said, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2014, 18:58 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 18:26:
Franken is one of the few liberal democrats I can stomach, admittedly because I have an appreciation for comedians. When he talks about serious matters, I can hear him laughing internally at all the gullibles out there lining his pockets.

Gov't control of media flow and connectivity is the greatest threat to free speech the country faces, not citizens who have a stake in it's businesses and a choice of which to support.

One Govt or thousands of corporations to choose from. Never choose government -- you'll lose regardless of your beliefs.

See, it's binary statements like that that make people think you're stupid. There are some things the gov't does well, and other things it doesn't. I certainly don't want gov't making my cars. But I don't want competing free market corporate militaries protecting the country either. For things that require a single monolithic structure, like the highway system, or essential services like the sewage system, etc. it makes sense for that to be a government function. If you run those things privately, they will be monopolies and must be heavily, heavily regulated, like the electric company.

The internet has become essential to modern life. There is a strong argument to be made that it's the single greatest technology to rise to prominence in our lifetimes. Like water and electricity, it has become difficult to function in society without it, as many old ways of doing things have been reduced in favor of doing them online. Currently, that technology is in the hands of a few unregulated megacorporations who keep prices high and service low in most markets because there is no competition (Notice what happens when Google fiber comes to town). And that the same ISPs are ALSO content providers is an inherent conflict of interest.

There are two choices here to prevent gouging, price fixing, anti-competition legislation, and other anti-competitive, anti-capitalist activities: either nationalize the internet, or heavily regulate it. 10 years ago ISPs spent 33% of their revenue on new infrastructure. Today it's 12%. That alone should tell you all you need to know about the state of competition in the industry.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 17:37:
I SAID THE STEAM SALE STARTS THIS WEEK, RIGHT?

Kick

Was there a Spring Steam sale last year? I thought I remembered that there was, but when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it.

News Comments > Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details
10. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 13, 2014, 18:25 jdreyer

It's not as cool as Star Citizen, because the astronaut guy didn't flip his helmet in a cool way.

That being said, this is just a trailer to set the premise. It does sound cool, but we've seen no gameplay or anything else to know what they've got in mind. Still, Civ 5 was pretty good, so there's no reason to think this won't be the addictive fun that most Civs turn out to be.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 17:12 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 14:50:
There is no way Valve is n't working on a new zombie game based on something between Dead Island and DayZ, Coop.

Fixed that for you.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 13, 2014, 17:09 jdreyer

Ah, competition. Thanks T-Mobile!  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 13, 2014, 17:07 jdreyer

From the article:

Should Comcast be allowed to control both what content you consume and how you get to consume it?

This, exactly. No company that creates media should be allowed to also be an ISP/cable provider. That's an inherent conflict of interest. If our politicians weren't so co-opted by corporate interests, they would have opposed the NBC deal, and broken up Comcast into its constituent parts years ago.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 13, 2014, 17:04 jdreyer

Next Attenborough documentary being filmed for Oculus Rift.

That sounds cool.

6605 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo