Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9507 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
42. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 13:38 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 11:47:

Full. Throttle.

I'd be playing Full Throttle right now, sir, if it weren't for my destabilizing inner-ear condition.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
40. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 13:23 jdreyer

The first comment on GoG cracked me up:

This is the game that made me a man. If you play this game and successfully complete all of the secret Emperor missions then you, too, will be a man, my son.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2014, 13:17 jdreyer

Also, I think I'm one of only three people in the world that likes that John Carter movie.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2014, 13:15 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 11:43:
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can obsess over the "perfect" cup of coffee. It's all so pretentious.

I don't know about perfect, but I do know that Kona coffee is simply the best coffee I've ever had. Smooth and rich with not even a hit of bitterness. Absolutely amazing, and unlike any coffee I'd ever tried. I know they have it in the WH b/c of the patriotic made in America thing, but it's also just fantastic coffee.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2014, 12:50 jdreyer

Maybe the concern is that Twitch will become Twitchroulette?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 28, 2014, 03:29 jdreyer

While the article is paints Siri in a nice light, I think the article raises interesting questions about our relationships with AIs. Today it's an autistic boy who makes friends with an AI, but once they're interactive and seamless enough, it will be us. Why put up with the LoL toxicity when you can play with AIs that are more polite? And once an AI is cheaply combined with an android, expect the world population to plummet as many people opt for relationships with AIs instead of dealing with humanity.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2014, 03:02 jdreyer

Watching Koya Rift footage almost gave me a seizure.  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
36. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 28, 2014, 02:58 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 01:28:
The hardest part about replaying X-Wing or Tie Fighter is the physics. Until XvT, Totally Games was trying for a Newtonian-ish model that meant giving the ships absolutely awful agility (poor turning, poor acceleration).

They didn't hit upon the "modern" arcadey flight sim model until XvT, and then stuck with it for XWA. It goes without saying that after flying the modern model, the low agility model is really frustrating at times.

I used a CH Thottle and Stick. Worked great. For assaulting cap ships, you had to cork screw in to avoid incoming turbo lasers. It was a tricky maneuver for sure, since I would set my shields to slowly bleed off with most power going to engines. It only took a couple turbo laser hits to deplete them completely, so runs had to be nearly flawless.

The most frustrating missions were the "puzzly" ones that had you running all over the place with essentially timed goals before the next set of enemies jumped in and nuked the shuttle you were protecting or whatever. The best missions were the ones where you had freedom deciding how to tackle them.

News Comments > On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support
33. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 28, 2014, 02:27 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 17:50:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 14:19:
Based on this, my assumption stands: the AMD results are an 8GB single GPU card that isn't available yet on the market (or it's a typo). The AMD results are single GPU as claimed. You get the same frame rate (and higher mins) under Mantle with a $300 290X that you get with a $600 980 GTX.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131584]
posted earlier in the thread[/url]

perhaps you have the postee on an ignore list or something or overlooked it..

No, I didn't overlook it. That's a dual GPU card, custom designed and built by PowerColor. AMD is reporting single GPU results. They're not using that card.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2014, 00:39 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:52:
I remember reading an article last year about either FBI or Police Dept's that have to go through cases that deal with child abuse or deal with exploitation of children on the inter and some of the crap they have to deal with.

Not an easy job, and my hat's off to them.

It's true, but they've also set up special counselors to be available for agents that work cases like that. Doesn't erase it, but it does mitigate it. These social media filter guys are really flying without a net. I can't even bring myself to watch one beheading out of curiosity. A long, long time ago I DL'd what I thought was some movie from the internet, and when I started watching it, some dude was holding down a struggling kitten and raising a giant cleaver. Shut that fucker off right then and deleted it. There are some sick motherfuckers out there in the world, that's for sure.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2014, 00:35 jdreyer

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 22:34:
Is anyone that is not running ad blockers having a ton of pop-ups with malware installs, redirects to infected sites, and even Trojans from Blue's ads?

For two weeks or so it has really gotten out of hand. To the point were I hesitate to open the site some days. I know a lot of people use ad blockers but I don't because Blue generates revenue from theses ads and by us clicking on them to get to Amazon and other retailers. Unfortunately it has gotten to that point today where I find myself looking for a blocker. Any suggestions? Free or not... as long as its good.

Paranoid, Jack? Working fine for me, no adblockers. The ads are keyed off of what sites you have in your cookies, so clear all your cookies and that should help.

EDIT: Obviously you should run a full system scan.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, I know, second time I've punned off your avatar name. I just can't help myself!

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2014, 02:52.

28. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 23:34 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 21:03:
TangledThorns wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:13:
Some games are just too damn old to play. Sorry, it's really hard to go back to dated graphics.
Ditto. Now, if they were improved. Then, sure.

Okay, this is strange coming from you, the one that claims his current PC can barely run the original Quake.

27. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 23:33 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:35:
There was a updated graphics version of Xwing and Tie Fighter that was released on CD that had everything except Xwing Alliance (hope that comes to GoG as well).

Even that would be a stretch for my Nostalgia Goggles, the original was 320x200. The X-wing vs Tie Fighter went up to 640x400 res I believe.

You can provide your own anti-aliasing by squinting really hard. Just imitate Master Squinter Pat Robertson.

26. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 23:30 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:35:
There was a updated graphics version of Xwing and Tie Fighter that was released on CD that had everything except Xwing Alliance (hope that comes to GoG as well).

It's about time.

I'm pretty sure that there were texture mods for XWing Alliance that made it look a lot nicer.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2014, 18:25 jdreyer

*pours one out for Elizabeth*  

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 27, 2014, 18:22 jdreyer

Yeah, I couldn't believe it's an estimated 100,000 people who work at jobs like that. In the Philippines college grads can get $300 per month sorting through beheadings and animal mutilations and getting PTSD. Cause that's why you got a college degree, wasn't it?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2014, 18:19 jdreyer

When I let the kids use the phone or tablet, I always ensure they're facing straight ahead. Also, wife has been watching lots of netflix on the phone lately, so I'm ordering one of these flexo-phone holders.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 27, 2014, 18:16 jdreyer

Jamil20 wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 14:16:

You're right, I don't try to pick up every piece of news. I mostly focus on news related to the actual product as opposed to the latest game or application (which dominates the news).

Yet, I have so many questions. What's the projected release date? What screen resolution are they using? The crescent bay prototype looks pretty damn good, why is it going to take another 6 months-2 years to release the thing? Is it a production scale issue? Is there something else that you're not satisfied with? Where is this thing in terms of the production timeline in general? Do you even know yet what the final product is?

There are so many question that have no answer, and they are completely tight-lipped about.

It's true they're playing close to the vest. That being said, they've dropped hints. CV1 will most likely be 1440P with a 90Hz refresh rate using special very low persistence screens. CV1 limited beta seems like it will be in April 2015 with general release in July-August. Delays are most likely due to getting the right screen to eliminate ghosting (which can cause nausea), optimizing to reduce latency (which can cause nausea), and perfecting the head tracking (to reduce nausea). Seeing a trend? If they don't get this right, and lots of people get sick, the venture will fail and it will set VR back another 20 years.

I understand your impatience. I'm dying to get my hands on a CV1. It's been a long road, but we're getting close!

31. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 27, 2014, 14:19 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 08:13:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 00:49:
They say they're using only a single GPU. I assume it's a beefed up 8GB 290X single GPU that's not on the market?

You'd assume wrong...;) I put a link in my original post so that anyone wishing to be informed about all of this could be informed about it. Judging by the thread so far, not many care to...!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the PCPer article you reference tests both single and multi GPU setups. The single GPU results mirror the AMD results seem to back up my contention that the AMD results use a $300 single core GPU 290X to achieve the same results as a $600 Nvidia 980. The PCPer single-core average FPS are almost identical to the AMD results at 4K. On the multi GPU results, the Nvidia solution has much higher average frame rates than Mantle. In fact, the Mantle results are almost the same as the single GPU results. They probably have yet to optimize for multi GPU.

Based on this, my assumption stands: the AMD results are an 8GB single GPU card that isn't available yet on the market (or it's a typo). The AMD results are single GPU as claimed. You get the same frame rate (and higher mins) under Mantle with a $300 290X that you get with a $600 980 GTX.

30. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 27, 2014, 13:47 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 04:46:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 00:49:
They say they're using only a single GPU. I assume it's a beefed up 8GB 290X single GPU that's not on the market?

It's available - for $949. Specs on it seem to be the same as the 295X2, though...

Yeah, that's a dual GPU card. This whole thing is somewhat confusing. They say single GPU, but then they say 8GB, which is only available on a dual GPU card. It's hard to know exactly what the test was.

9507 Comments. 476 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo