Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13135 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 20, 2015, 23:38 jdreyer

That's just crazy, you can't even see where you're going most of the time.  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 20, 2015, 23:00 jdreyer

The thing is, you can pull the carbon out of a coal plant smoke stack for about $50 per ton of CO2 or so. But carbon in the atmosphere is so dilute that it costs $1000 per ton.

Much better to accelerate coal and gas plant phase out in favor of wind, solar, tidal, nuclear, etc. And, yes, figure out some kind of natural carbon sink that grows quickly and fixes the carbon in the earth or traps it in some plant material that doesn't decay quickly.

Honestly, we've already fucked ourselves, and can only mitigate the damage at this point. Say goodbye to all those gorgeous FL beaches.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 20, 2015, 22:54 jdreyer

Unless unions come to the software industry, there will never be quality of life.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 20, 2015, 22:33 jdreyer

Given that it didn't even get a theatrical release, they had to figure out some way of making money. They probably figured, if it worked for Prenda Law, it might work for us! Oh, wait.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 20, 2015, 22:29 jdreyer

In the military, having an affair is a courts martial offense. Apparently, there were a lot of .mil email addresses in there...  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2015, 21:36 jdreyer

The Humble Books Bundle is also a megacrapton of D & D comics.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 20, 2015, 18:38 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 18:19:
If only they could put some of the energy being used to make impressive visuals into revolutionizing AI for their engine.

I agree. We're reaching the point of diminishing returns with graphics. More meaningful interactions within this admittedly beautiful world, please. If I set the forest alight, will it catch from tree to tree? Will the people in the village on the other side attempt to douse it? At what point do they fear for their lives and flee? If I let the kite get wet, will it be to heavy to fly with its brothers? Can I stop up the top of the hollow mountain and watch all the kites flop down, deprived of their updraft? Etc.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 18:30 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:42:
Kingsman was fucking awesome, so much so that I regretted waiting so long to see it (on NF). Hope the sequel gets the green light...

Matthew Vaughn is one of the best directors working. He has yet to make a bad movie: Kingsman, X-Men First Class, Kickass, Stardust, and Layer Cake.

Live long, and prosper.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 18:26 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:19:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:13:
nin wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:33:
yonder wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:27:
I'm old... bitter... and uber-pessimistic. I'll let the optimists have their fun. May they never be taught better!

Go see Man From UNCLE. Fun little Action/Spy comedy. Surprised how much I enjoyed it, as I went in with pretty low expectations.

Also, if you haven't seen them yet: Kingsman, and It Follows. Both are utterly fantastic.

It Follows - the STD movie?

As a metaphor, it has many interpretations. STDs are one, the writer/director actually intended it to represent how sex and love keep death at bay. Over at io9 one of the regulars argues it's about death and mortality.

It's shot in Detroit, and the urban decay in so many shots really add to the atmosphere of dread. And I love the indeterminate time period. There's some new tech, but the characters all drove old cars and use wired phones.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Trailer
18. Re: XCOM 2 Trailer Aug 20, 2015, 18:06 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:40:
Um if you're looking for a game that plays a bit like XCOM but don't like XCOM (I loved the last game) you might want to try Invisible Inc. It's not as deep as XCOM but has some of the same gameplay elements and you can get it cheap, it's fun!
I understand that Massive Chalice also provides some Xcom-ish strategic-tactical gameplay. Waiting for a sale to pick it up.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 20, 2015, 14:39 jdreyer

Krowen wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 07:29:
What two consenting adults do in their own time is none of anyones business. Since when did this place have so many nosy old ladies with nothing better to do? Fucking moralists.

While this is absolutely true, if you're doing the whole consenting adult thing in private, while publicly bloviating that no one should ever do the consenting adult thing, you deserve to be nailed to the wall for that.

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 14:13 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:33:
yonder wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:27:
I'm old... bitter... and uber-pessimistic. I'll let the optimists have their fun. May they never be taught better!

Go see Man From UNCLE. Fun little Action/Spy comedy. Surprised how much I enjoyed it, as I went in with pretty low expectations.

Also, if you haven't seen them yet: Kingsman, and It Follows. Both are utterly fantastic.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 14:11 jdreyer

@Yonder.

Huh, I remember liking Red Planet. Haven't seen it in 15 years, so maybe rose-colored glasses. I see that it didn't review very well.

Live long, and prosper.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 14:05 jdreyer

Chimpanzees and monkeys have entered the Stone Age.

I'm expecting them to be a playable faction in the next Civ 5 DLC.

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 14:04 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:13:
Hot DAMN, "The Martian" looks good!

I'm hopeful, but remember how good the trailers were for Prometheus? Yes, I'm still broken and bitter over that movie. Also, Exodus and the Counselor were also not very good. I wonder if Mr. Scott still has what it takes.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 20, 2015, 13:57 jdreyer

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 announced for PlayStation 4 and Vita, the suntans reportedly 'vastly improved'.

Whew! I was really disappointed with the suntans in the previous version. Glad to know they fixed this! It's going to really help with fappi... immersion.

Unfortunately, the article doesn't mention whether they'll be improving the breast physics or not. Specific gravity wasn't dense enough, while the elasticity was too great. They need to tweak that.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 20, 2015, 13:50 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 13:23:
LittleMe wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 13:05:
But the boy didn't have dirt on him, therefore he was a budding PC gamer. Maybe the kite flew like that after he typed a cheat code on his keyboard such as PCMR.

I love how the wind in the grass and trees looked.

Notice how they conveniently avoided showing the water when the kid supposedly fell into it, and they made it so he didn't have to run through it? Is it really that hard to create ripple shaders and a couple simple splashing particle emitters? Lazy console devs. >:\

Yeah, doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're winning "SIGGRAPH's Best Real Time Graphics and Interactivity award" if he doesn't actually interact with things like water. In fact, I didn't see much interactivity at all.

Blue originally posted this demo months ago, were you the one then that pointed out the water trick? I don't blame them, water is extremely tricky to get right. But yeah, if you're going to tout next-gen, but skip the hard stuff, that just reeks.

Live long, and prosper.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 03:41 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 00:36:
There is a reported case of a family being wiped out by deadly gas caused by rotten potatoes in the cellar.

http://goo.gl/xL8Bkg from the dailymail

My guess is oxygen depletion combined with poisoning, either way the results would be the same.

Jesus, it sounds like a bad horror movie. From the article:

An eight-year-old Russian girl has been orphaned after her entire family was wiped out by deadly gas caused from rotting potatoes.
Grief-stricken Maria Chelysheva lost her father, mother, brother and grandmother who were killed one by one after entering a cellar where they stored potatoes for the winter.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
20. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS Aug 20, 2015, 03:38 jdreyer

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 02:30:
InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 02:13:
Suppa7 wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 20:09:

The problem with PA was just the developers are out of ideas, RTS has reached a point of pure stagnancy and to get it over that stagnant hump is going to require a budget many times that of the original PA.

Yeah cos you know money leads to ideas and loads of money leads to fucking awesome ideas. Rolleyes

Not saying ideas are not important but without the money to buy the time to realize them developers are just going to keep repeating "doing what they know".

The reason RTS keeps being rehashed over and over is because largely there is no commitment of funds. Supreme commander 1 suffered under severe budget constraints and it showed in the lack of faction diversity. So to say RTS games don't need time and money to develop is a non starter, the reason why RTS is rehashed is because money buys you the time to do unit testing/balancing.

Just consider how awful supreme commander 1 was on release. The game finished in a broken state the AI was shit, the faction diversity was mirror images of one another and unit production times were wtf awful.

There's an interview with Chris Taylor on youtube somewhere where he discusses SupCom 1 & 2. SC1 had a budget of $10M and SC2 was $11M. Given that PA was built for around $2.5M, it's pretty good. That being said, if the Uber devs had $10M to play with, I wonder if the game would have had more fidelity to it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
19. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS Aug 20, 2015, 03:34 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 02:13:
Suppa7 wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 20:09:

The problem with PA was just the developers are out of ideas, RTS has reached a point of pure stagnancy and to get it over that stagnant hump is going to require a budget many times that of the original PA.

Yeah cos you know money leads to ideas and loads of money leads to fucking awesome ideas. Rolleyes

Hey, it's working for Star Citizen.

Live long, and prosper.

13135 Comments. 657 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo