Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9307 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 22:16 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 22:04:
Trolling? I'll answer seriously.

I can assure you, I am serious - why would I be trolling? Honestly, I haven't had cable TV in about 8 years, and I don't have many friends, so I have never even heard of the show. Honest Injun!

I'm just floored by the amazing shows that have come out of HBO over the past decade or so. The Wire. True Detective. Boardwalk Empire. Entourage. Game of Thrones. Sopranos. Deadwood. Six Feet Under. The Leftovers. So much quality there. It's really hard to consistently maintain such high quality over an extended period of time. The only other studio that comes to mind is Pixar.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen @ $58M
12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $58M Oct 15, 2014, 22:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 21:55:
I see plenty of style but very little actual substance.

Watch that vid that 88Fingers posted. It's got a lot more substance.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 21:27 jdreyer

garrywong wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:55:
I'm not afraid that Ebola is going to go crazy and kill half the humans on the planet (although there is always the chance that it might mutate and become airborne... it did once in some lab back in 1980 or something, and although it also at the same time became entirely harmless, there's no saying next time it would as well).

What I'm afraid of is that it's going to take a minor crisis where a lot of people get hurt or die unnecessarily before the world governments take proper action to isolate and get rid of all human ebola infections once and for all. And although that's par for the course for most things, I still hate it to see needless loss of life and suffering when all of this can be done now instead.

You'd still get anti-vaxxers that wouldn't vaccinate.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 15, 2014, 21:21 jdreyer

"Okay Texas, here's the deal. We're gonna build that border fence you've always wanted..."

Too funny.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 21:11 jdreyer

It will be interesting to see how they price this. I could see $15 per month. Not sure I'd do $20.  

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 21:09 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:18:
Speaking of HBO on Amazon, what on there is worth watching? I watched Band of Brothers on DVD a couple of years ago - I'm looking for something new. How is "The Wire"?

Trolling? I'll answer seriously. "The Wire" is arguably the greatest police-crime drama ever made. In fact, it's one of the greatest TV shows ever made. It's fantastic story telling with complex characters with their own motivations and flaws. Each season has a theme that the all the stories are kind of built around, but each character continues their own arc regardless. There are a ton of characters, but they always feel real, not just plot devices. Some amazing actors got their start here: Michael B. Jordan, Idris Elba, Dominic West. Everything feels so real, you never feel like you're watching a TV show. Here's a non-spoilery clip from early in season one to give you an idea.

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $58M Oct 15, 2014, 20:51 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:23:
I know alot of hate, but for those interested in Squadron 42, here is the latest update from the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUDfQjGVmn4
there's some other updates from the other studios at that same link

Those are all just actors that Chris Roberts paid to pretend to be developers. And those ship combat and space station clips are pulled from straight out of Evochron: Mercenary. There IS no game under development. Chris and his bro are spending all that cash on hookers, blow, and yachts registered in Bermuda where they'll retire untouchable by the authorities. </conspiracy>

With that out of the way, nice clip. They're making pretty good progress it seems. Love that huge space station. It looks fantastic WITHOUT TEXTURES. I know this gets compared to E:D, but it seems like they're shooting for a level higher. This looks to be more realized. Whether that will ultimately be a good thing or bad, I'm not sure yet, but I like what they're striving for.

5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $58M Oct 15, 2014, 20:31 jdreyer

It would be a fascinating social experiment to see how long RSI could stretch this out without actually delivering a final product. I would be interested to know how long something like this could be continued out on pure hype before all donations ceased. My feeling is that the incoming cash will probably slow in early 2015 and would stop altogether mid-2016.

I know the conspiracy types think this is actually the case.

News Comments > 10 Game Free Weekend on Steam Starts Tomorrow
1. Re: 10 Game Free Weekend on Steam Starts Tomorrow Oct 15, 2014, 20:25 jdreyer

Interesting. I am either not interested in these, or I already own the ones that I am interested in.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 18:18:
Easy way to stay Ebola free? Don't let in people with Ebola. What are various governments around the world doing? Letting in people with Ebola. If that doesn't say they want a pandemic I don't know what does. They can easily treat people in isolation off shore, in Africa, etc.

The problem is that the incubation period is like 3 weeks and shows no symptoms. How do you account for that? This Forbes article sums up why a travel ban will fail.

News Comments > Game Reviews
22. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 18:29 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 17:26:
Initial Grimrock 2 reviews are very positive. I'll prolly pick it up this weekend.

I played through the first one about half way until it got a bit too twitchy for me. Gonna pass on this one.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 15, 2014, 15:22 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:23:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:34:
'And still just as unnecessary and even dumber looking!'

This thing just has scam written all over it.

Normally, I wouldn't agree, but how on earth do you think you can develop hardware for something like this for $100K? I see they've got prototypes that appear to have gotten good reviews, but still, just seems too unbelievable.

It sounds as if Kickstarter is being used more for promotion than for development. I'm still wary.

Well, they're trying for $100K, but two of their lowest tiers are 2 huge parties in Silicon Valley and Paris. That's $1000s right there not being spent to develop the product.

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 15:17 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:53:
Do you have some examples of this flip-floppery?

Much of it was derived from the RFM podcast and his reviews so it doesn't translate easily to a bullet point list or something. I will see if I can put together something for you when I get home but generally speaking I think if you listen to him for awhile you'll get what I'm saying.

Oh, I didn't want to make a ton of work for you. Thought you might post a link or two. Don't worry about it.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 15:11 jdreyer

Sara X Does Mozart’s “Eine kleine Nachtmusik”.

Not having ever heard of Sara X, I was going to make a joke about asking if this was safe for work. I watched the vid before posting however, and I can say, this is NSFW. Just a heads up for y'all.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 14:56 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:45:
Julio wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:09:
Clearly they do. Looking like a good call not to close the borders, it may be too late for the US - but I'd like to see other countries start closing their borders to all travelers from impacted nations.

I seriously can't tell when people are kidding or not on the internet anymore. Too late for the US to what exactly? Do you seriously think we're going to have a wide scale Ebola outbreak?

43% of Americans believe they or one of their relatives will contract Ebola. So there's a 43% chance they're not kidding.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 14:28 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:18:
Mainstream media is apparently just as guilty of unprofessionalism as the gaming rags.

Well, the WaPo isn't what it used to be.

14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 13:53 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:06:
That's not quite what he was saying, it was more like "someone regularly has a different opinion than quite a few people, they must be doing it for attention". I disagree with him, but it wasn't as alternate-opinion-adverse as you imply.

My greasemonkey script is snipping a bunch of this but what I meant was that he literally flipflops on things, probably to drive attention/clicks. I was speaking about this one specific person, not in general about anyone with an alternate opinion. I've seen him do this stuff many times, not giving a shit with one company or game then making it a big issue in another. It's a tiresome schtick but sadly hes definitely a lifer in the industry.

Do you have some examples of this flip-floppery?

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 13:32 jdreyer

ldonyo wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
The idea of aggregating review scores into an average or mean is a good one. Having a secret formula that includes unknown levels of weighting for some scores over others to come up with a final score, not so much.

If everyone had equal weighting it would be easy to game the system by using a bunch of sockpuppet accounts. I agree that an opaque system is problematic.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2014, 13:30 jdreyer

Well, I'd say the cat's out of the bag on that one!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 13:27 jdreyer

Basically Apple had a Bono and decided to stick it in their users without asking. Is it any surprise people are pissed?  

9307 Comments. 466 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo