Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8974 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
149. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 23:38 jdreyer

Here's a thoughtful female dev critiquing Sarkeesian. Well written, with valid points:

The biggest issue I have, however, comes when Sarkeesian suggests that violence against women is “encouraged” – which I don’t buy. When the game does encourage violence against NPSOs, she’s right, but simply because a player is able to do something, does not in fact mean that the game is actively encouraging it. To come back to Dishonored, the fact that the player has the choice of whether to kill or not kill anyone in the game (NPCs and NPSOs), including the primary targets, does not in fact mean that players are encouraged to kill them.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
136. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 21:24 jdreyer

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:42:
The individuals sending her death threats are playing right into her hands. They're giving her coverage. I'd prefer it if she was ignored.

Exactly. It's funny that they think they're pissing on the fire, when in fact they're pouring on gasoline.

News Comments > Op Ed
135. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 21:23 jdreyer

ASeven wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:39:
Some of the forums discussing this are posting this post taken from 4chan. Since it's 4chan take it with a kilo of salt but an interesting read nonetheless.

"Game Journalist here.

I work for a major site, not saying which one since my silence on all of this is obvious even to my co-workers. It'd make it way too obvious who I was.

To put it bluntly; you're winning. Advertisers have contacted our site, and I know they've contacted others, and they're fucking pissed. This shit has gone on longer than anyone has expected it to, and it's beginning to affect the brands of people associated with ours and other sites. They want it to stop. And the bosses of these sites are scared; adblock has already cut deep into the money our site makes, and I know it's slicing hard into others.

This has translated in the minds of most of my 'associates' as 'make them stop no matter what', hence all these 'fuck gamer' articles. They're trying to push as hard as they can in hopes everyone backs down. The most important thing to do now is not to back down. They're shooting themselves in the foot. Save any screencaps of anything crazy anyone says, and just repost it forever. Spread it around. Get it onto social media. Spread adblock. Spread advertiser contact. The single most effective thing you can do is contact advertisers. Even 10 letters can get them to call us.

I sure as fuck don't care what happens to us; I finish getting my second degree next year and I'm out anyway. Let it burn."

I really have no clue what this is referring to.

News Comments > Op Ed
134. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 21:13 jdreyer

Icewind wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:29:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:25:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:07:
Is there anyone who openly despises their fanbase more than game developers and journalists?

Well, when devs get death threats from fans over minor changes, can you blame them?

Oh please, isn't the online death threat thing so 1990s? If I had a nickel for every time someone threatened my life online (99% of the time through a game), I'd have enough money to buy Blue's website.

Let's be real, trotting out this death threat crap is like trying to prove you're rich by showing me a bunch of empty $100 bill wrappers. This stuff is old hat. Plus, it's the internet. Having someone tell you they'll kill you is basically the handshake of the internet. If you actually take it seriously you're either new to the internet or your too overly sensitive for it.

The handshake of the internet? You must be using a different internet than me. I never see death threats.

News Comments > Op Ed
123. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:47 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:24:
Lead by example. If you think games are sexist, makes games you think are not sexist. Put up or shut up.

"If you don't like X, go make your own X" is not a valid response to criticism. Such an argument can be used to invalidate ALL criticism for all topics. Critics do not need to be able to go produce an alternative in order to be legitimate critics. You need to engage with critics on their arguments and provide alternatives, not summarily dismiss them.

News Comments > Op Ed
121. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:39 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:20:
Although a tangent, the point was made again in the post below. Sarkeesian does not bring anything of value to the table worth applying critical thought to.

You're either being intentionally inflammatory or you haven't watched her videos. There are problems. How she brings them to light is the issue.

News Comments > Op Ed
119. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:38 jdreyer

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:14:

I can respect a desire for more consistent intellectual discourse. The problem is it must - I stress the must - be two-way. It's unreasonable to look at critics of Sarkeesian, or of feminism, or of "SJW" interests, and chide them for not keeping cool heads and keeping the topic intellectual, when they're getting hit with some pretty unrelenting vitriol day in and day out on this topic.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the problem. Sarkeesian's videos are a 1-way argument with no way to engage with her. Given the level of vitriol it's hard to argue with her avoidance of comments, but given some of her claims, I think she should make the attempt. A well regulated forum or blog could really help in this regard.

Andrew Sullivan doesn't allow comments on his blog, but he does post reader emails several times daily including a "dissent of the day" argument which counters something he's written. This approach means only the most quality of comments end up on the site, and it elevates the commentary to some of the best on the internet. An alternative would be a comment section where comments would need to be approved or rated in some way. I realize this relies on Sarkeesian to publish arguments that counter her arguments, and I don't know if she would do that. Perhaps some neutral 3rd party could administer? Or perhaps it can be reader moderated, like on Ars. I made many reasonable comments both supporting and criticizing Sark there last night, and my reasonable, logical comments almost always had more plusses than minuses. Downrated comments could be hidden creating a reasonable debate.

I admit I've gone deep into fantasy land here, but there needs to be some neutral middle ground, because right now both sides are entrenching and little is being accomplished.

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:15 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:07:
Regarding the cherry-picking (which I agree Sarkeesian does), this is sort of an age-old argument about whether feminist theory and masculinist theory should stay separate or a more holistic view is needed.

Sarkeesian's approach here is mostly in line with a tradition in her field that would point to the "Tropes v s. Women" banner as enough to specify where her focus lies, and enough to imply that just because she is exclusively concerned with women, it doesn't say anything about men in games.

Except of course Sarkeesian can't resist a few contrasting potshots here and there, which I would agree is a flaw in her work (but not necessarily a big enough flaw to bring the whole thing down).

I'm also amenable to the argument that a pop-science approach to the whole thing, which is what Sarkeesian's videos are, should be more holistic to be more generally useful. But for better or worse, that's the focus this particular author has chosen.

Perfectly stated. Thank you.

News Comments > Op Ed
102. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:14 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:04:

Perhaps, but Beamer loves to argue anything with anyone. Regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Ridiculous hyperbole.

News Comments > Op Ed
95. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:07 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:46:
Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:15:
This woman is obviously a mysogynist for disagreeing with (and even being angered by) Sarkeesian.

LOL. Its funny how the people pushing Sarkeesians garbage have no answer to this.

I was the one who originally posted this video, and the thing I liked about it is that she was criticizing Sark's message of assuming the devs were sexist while supporting the overall effort to reduce sexism, even if she didn't run into too much of it herself.

News Comments > Op Ed
86. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 17:56 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:38:
Also, can we stop with the "cherry picking" argument?

She has to pick examples. It's when she uses examples that misrepresent that she gets herself in trouble, and makes the videos about her methodology instead of the topic at hand. Failure to do so makes her look like she doesn't know what she's talking about. She needs to apply a little more rigor to her arguments. Especially with such an emotionally charged topic, she needs to have ironclad reasoning.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:54 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:29:
commonperson wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:43:
The rape and death threats are out there for the public to see, this is not stuff any of them are making up. Doxing is quite public too.

Except there's proof that they made these claims up. Look for Aseven's posts for more details. And if anyone male or female goes into the kiddie multiplayer gaming pool on consoles or certain PC games they'll get threats. It comes with those young gamers under 18. None of them mean it seriously.

Even if this particular case was made up, Sarkeesian has received much more hate and death threats than she deserves. And the problem with such threats is that it makes impossible the legitimate criticism of her methods that could actually either sideline her or force her to improve. If ALL or even most threats against her were sockpuppets, I would agree, but that's not the case. Unfortunately, those attacks only validate her techniques and cause her to create more videos in a similar vein.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:25 jdreyer

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:07:
Is there anyone who openly despises their fanbase more than game developers and journalists?

Well, when devs get death threats from fans over minor changes, can you blame them?

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:11 jdreyer

UHD wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:10:
I do think it's kind of funny that Sarkeesian will point out sexism in video games and the culture in general, and the first reaction of many gamers is to rush to the Internet and defend themselves by proving her right.

It is a shame. There are definitely legitimate criticisms to her approach, and I'd like to have that conversation. But it's impossible with all the attacks and bullshit being flung around.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 15:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:53:
Leading Anti-Marijuana Academics Are Paid by Painkiller Drug Companies.

Gee, really? Just like the anti global-warming mouthpieces are paid by the major polluters? What a shocker!

It's a throw down:

Mary Jane vs. China White.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 15:20 jdreyer

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 11:20:
I'm interested in this anti-Alzheimer's cocktail of THC and caffeine, I think I could get behind this treatment.

And I'm starting to see more and more signs of lapses in memory that are scaring me (there's a history of Alzheimer's in my family). Maybe it's just paranoia since a malfunctioning brain is my worst nightmare, but still...

Shit man, I hate all the frikkin' "senior moments" I keep having even though I'm only mid-40s. And there's no history of Alzheimer in my family. Getting old bites the big one.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Looking at that Star Trek pic, I was like "Why is Richard Branson in that pic? OH, crap, that's Frakes!!"

Also, who's the white dude in the back?

News Comments > Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode
21. Re: Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode Aug 29, 2014, 01:34 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 22:32:
Well me and jdreyer would buy it - that's 2 extra sales right there!!

Hell, yeah! I think nin said the same thing, if I recall from a few months back.

News Comments > Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode
20. Re: Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode Aug 29, 2014, 01:32 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 21:06:
Greenish wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:17:
So I don't get the hate for Titanfall here, is it because it's Xbox One/PC exclusive?

Origin, here. I'd love to play the game.

Really? Origin is that different from Steam? I just leave Origin unstarted unless I want to play something on it. Then I start it up. No biggie.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
79. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2014, 01:29 jdreyer

Also, Ars just posted this a couple of hours ago, and it positively exploded.

The death of the “gamers” and the women who “killed” them

8974 Comments. 449 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo