Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12244 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Sells 1M
10. Re: Cities: Skylines Sells 1M Apr 15, 2015, 01:38 jdreyer

MajorD wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 00:26:
Good for them, glad to hear it, and I'm not surprised.

First Sim game I've purchased/played, and I have been enjoying a lot.

Congrats Colossal Order!

+1

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
236. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 17:22 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 14:23:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 14:21:
This is one of the longest front page threads since, since, since Gamergate!
What about Elite?

I thought that wasn't a front page thread, which is why I used those words. I thought it was a general discussion forum post. Am I remembering wrong?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
231. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 14:21 jdreyer

This is one of the longest front page threads since, since, since Gamergate!  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
34. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 14:19 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 13:04:
Often C&C style games. I jump into an occasional game of Quake here and there. I haven't seen any new games lately that make me want to buy them. It has to have a spark, intensity or unique character which I really can't articulate. My favorites are arcade style games like this or this and especially this.

Huh, arcade blasters just stress me out, but I do love me some RTS. Was playing SupCom on Saturday when my gaming PC died. Haven't had enough time to diagnose it yet, but it's either the power supply or the vid card. Front lights case come on and no beeps, but I get nothing to the monitor.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2015, 14:16 jdreyer

I started over from scratch and left the installer running overnight, but even though I left it saying it would be done in around five hours, this morning it wasn't even half done.

I think "loading overnight" precludes only sleeping two hours.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2015, 13:52 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 11:55:
Squirmer wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 10:30:
I prefer my penises uncut.

So how many do you have then, dude?

I just assumed he meant when he sees them on other people.

I assume this censorship is due to Japanese obscenity laws. Although the Japanese law governing such censorship was passed in 1907, I seem to remember the prohibition of genitals in visual media as something introduced by the American generals' wives during the occupation after WWII (resulting in the "mosaic" on JPr0n). However, I can't find any mention of it after searching around a bit.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
27. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 12:53 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 12:21:
And for those of us living near Los Angeles, we can save money and simply watch the local news for a similar entertainment value. Nothing quite compares to a live "Breaking News" story with a car chase taking place. Typically, one guy drives frantically from 20 to 100 + MPH in city streets having 15 police cars trailing behind him and helicopters buzzing overhead. It never ends well for the suspect.

It's fine not to play this game, differen't strokes and all. But I'm curious what you're playing currently.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > GTA5 GeForce Drivers
11. Re: GTA5 GeForce Drivers Apr 13, 2015, 21:54 jdreyer

This thread has 11 comments in the past 2 hours, and the AMD GTA driver thread has 0. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 13, 2015, 21:47 jdreyer

Darkside Games had a contract for a multiplayer game for $5M. Before the ink was even dry, MS demanded also a single player portion without changing either the budget or timeframe. Darkside is basically over a barrel: refuse and MS will pull the plug before the game is even started, accept and keep working, but have to endure the extra cost yourself. Shitty position to be in.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Apr 13, 2015, 21:39 jdreyer

Revision mod is finished and launches soon. I have never played this game somehow, despite being both an SF fan and an RPG fan, so I'll be checking this out once this mod is ready.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2015, 21:27 jdreyer

siapnar wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 20:55:
Yeah it's so stupid how they show every plot device and clips from the whole movie in trailers. I'm just going to stop watching them

Yeah, I have stopped watching trailers for the most part (haven't seen a single Age of Ultron trailer yet), but I was curious about how Ant Man turned out after all the drama of Edgar Wright leaving the production. Wish I hadn't. It would have been so much cooler to see the bad guy for the first time in the movie. Congress should pass a law: no scenes from beyond the 30m mark can be used in trailers.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2015, 21:24 jdreyer

Hollywood Seeks Net Neutrality Exceptions to Block Pirates.

Because of course Hollywood needs to feel special.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 13, 2015, 21:24 jdreyer

Cool case, uncool price. Maybe it comes with a 2 stroke engine to generate the electricity to run the PC?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
49. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2015, 17:39 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 08:54:
I look at this list and see so many crap games. What is wrong with the gaming public???

1. Be thankful Day Z is not on the list.

2. I see plenty of great games: GTAV, Cities, Elite, PoE, CS, and Dark Souls. The ones that are suspect, IMO, are ESO and H1Z1, although plenty of people have come out in defense of those games.

Live long, and prosper.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 17:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 16:28:
Fact is I like them more than people myself.
I never would have guessed! Earmuffs

Live long, and prosper.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 17:20 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:30:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:10:
How dare they unconditionally love us!
Unconditionally dependent on the owner for food and shelter. Otherwise, I doubt it sincerely cares at all.

Wow, Bob. Dogs are completely different from other pets. What you're describing is cat behavior (in general). Dogs are pack animals, and support, interact, and love members of the pack (which the owner becomes), as observed in the wild with wolves and other pack animals. And whereas birds like parrots are super smart and capable of relating to humans, they're also extremely possessive, not loving in the way a dog is. Owning dogs is empirically shown to have benefits for the owners, such as lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, less risk of heart disease, and longer lifespans. Other pets offer some benefits, but none so many as dogs.

Live long, and prosper.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 17:09 jdreyer

voltov wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 11:45:
Got laid off today so ya, Monday the 13th is definitely worse.

It's God's will: "Thou shalt not worketh. Thou shalt play GTAV!!!"

Well, I tried for a laugh. Probably failed. Getting laid off is awful. I hope you can find something soon. The economy is picking up, so hopefully that fact helps you.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 17:01 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:36:
First started lurking here to get the skinny on Quake and Quake II mods... looks like I made this account in 2007. I'm wondering if I made an older one at some point. I find it hard to believe I lurked for 10 whole years before even posting a comment. Then again I did primarily discuss games on IRC in the early 2000s, and stayed away from forums.

Speaking of that, considering I've made my way onto pretty much everyone's ignore list over the last 8 years for daring to disagree, I should probably just make another one. Feels like I'm wasting my breath posting about most stuff when I'm really just talking to myself and users like JDreyer who don't use their ignore lists.

Same here, I started coming daily in '98 or '99, but didn't create an account and start posting until 2004. Man, I wish I had my web history from back then. I have no idea how I found Blues in the first place, but it has been a daily visit in my life for almost two decades.

Blue, if it comes down to brass tacks, and you're not making enough ad revenue, please consider doing a Patreon. I know there are lots of people here that hate ads but want to support you in that way. Hell, last week, the ads from another site were bogging down my laptop so much that I am considering installing an ad blocker and whitelisting Blues. I know, I know, what the hell is taking me so long. I just believe that the sites I visit deserve the ad revenue so I put up with it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Are Intel processor clock speeds accurate? Apr 13, 2015, 14:28 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 09:26:
Does it matter anymore? Truly? Outside of false advertising, I mean.

When was the last time any of us ran in to a processor bound system? I haven't in probably more than a decade. If anything, we've been I/O bound for much longer. With SSDs now being cheap enough to deploy in every system build for every budget, we're finally, slowly, ridding ourselves of the problems with spinning rust disks. Memory is finally catching up with the DDR3, and now DDR4, standards so that we actually have better throughput between disk and memory. I believe I saw a recent example where DDR4 and an SSD had finally reached a 1:1. Ars or Anand, maybe.

I think our biggest problem is on the system bus itself. I think PCI has hit the point of diminishing returns in regards to how much higher it can be pushed.

With SOCs seemingly on track to become the future of all machines, it would seem a better idea to use QPI to interconnect between SOCs and have those SOCs run executions of particular processes either in parallel or asynchronously, depending on the task. Run that data back to a centralized SOC that acts as a hub and head unit. Imagine it to be like an enterprise cluster today...but in the size of an mATX or ITX build today and all in one box.

Granted, we would need better advancements in IGPs but some of the mobility parts from AMD and Nvidia are already incredibly decent performers. Start integrating them in to SOCs and a dual, quad, sex or octo SLI setup would be easy and less expensive than it is to currently employ discrete cards.

I'd like to imagine that day when the only cabling I have in my system is the one that runs from the power supply to the board and that's it. Use advanced system throttling and power management and we could all have systems that were dead quiet, or mostly so.

Even if your hard drives were plugged in as slots, you'd still have to run fan cables.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2015, 14:04 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 04:14:
I don't really see a point in drawing arbitrary lines in the sand when it comes to fiction when it's already perfectly legal to kill and dismember virtual people.

There is no logical or reasonable difference between that and what is described here. Only an emotional one. And we shouldn't be legislating based on emotion.

Exactly, the law should not be used to moralize.

Live long, and prosper.

12244 Comments. 613 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo