Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8192 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 29, 2014, 17:00 jdreyer

4K will eventually become the standard since eventually all hardware makers will only make that resolution. No one makes 320P CRTs anymore, for example. That being said, no one is clamoring for this. It'll be the standard in 10 years.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 29, 2014, 16:57 jdreyer

Youíll need 165Mbps internet in just 6 years, study finds.

The actual data to arrive at the estimation, which the news release doesnít seem to show, cites the growth of an average userís data consumption ó a compound annual growth rate of 40.3% down and 43.9% up. By 2020, the study predicts, the average household will require 8GB of down data per day, and 3GB of up. To compare, a common mobile data cap right now for an entire month is 2GB.

UPLOADING 3GB per day? Of what? Downloading 8GB I can see, since that's a few hours of HD TV, but that upload figure is just bizarre. What are you streaming cameras of your living room all day?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2014, 16:53 jdreyer

Hey Blue, I think there's a typo in this list. It's inconceivable that Skyrim isn't #1.

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
9. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 29, 2014, 16:48 jdreyer

Also, gotta love how GoG and Steam are being mentioned everywhere in the same breath. I love Steam, but GoG offers a better service, IMO with completely DRM free downloads. So I am glad they're getting the recognition and growth they deserve!  

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
8. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 29, 2014, 16:45 jdreyer

Finally broke down and bought I76 on GoG. Had been waiting for it to go on flash sale, but it never did. Still, for $3, can't go wrong. No idea what I did with my originals, but for $3, no need to fiddle with settings. Just DL and go! You dig?

Also, kids are TOTALLY digging Lego the Movie game.

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
41. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 29, 2014, 05:02 jdreyer

*imagines Helf coming home on a Saturday night after a long night of bouncing fools, and the first thing he does is log in to read Blue's News and get caught up!*

@ Helf: In CJS's defense, they said there were reports of some GMG keys being defective, not all.

It's a good point about Sniper 2, but if sales on that had slowed to a trickle anyway (it had been on deep discount several times in the past year), giving it away free is a great marketing stunt, so not entirely altruistic since the product had pretty much reached the end of its long tail.

Here's the thing, regardless of the motivation of this banning (scam vs. actually stolen):

1. By banning the keys you hurt retailers (reports are there were 60) that had purchased the keys. It's unlikely that all 60 knew they were buying stolen keys, so you are hurting at least some retailers who bought them in good conscience.

2. You are hurting players, all of whom paid cash instead of pirating your game, and all of whom bought in good conscience never suspecting that their key had been stolen. Even more than the retailers, Rebellion is really fucking itself in this regard.

3. What Rebellion is doing could be entirely illegal. Regardless of whether the keys are stolen or not, it's Rebellion's place to retrieve them. That is a job for law enforcement, assuming that it can be in fact proven that they're stolen. And in the EU, once sold, Rebellion no longer has any ownership of the keys, so canceling them is destruction of property. They could be sued or have criminal charges pressed.

Bottom line: this is a job for law enforcement, not for Rebellion to be a vigilante. They're hurting innocent people.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2014, 00:12 jdreyer

How is Dust: Elysian Tale? I'm not really into platformers, but this looks like it has some interesting RPG elements, and word of mouth has been good. It's on flash sale for $3 right now.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
42. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 29, 2014, 00:05 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 23:35:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 22:47:
I was wondering today what would happen if scholars unearthed ancient scripture written by someone in the Bible that the Apostles jerked each other off as Jesus watched just to pass time. Would they accept it or would they conveniently ignore it like much of the book they thump as fact.

Those chapters never make it to the public, like the one he was a coke dealer.

Or even the more plausible ones like that Jesus was probably married.

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
38. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 29, 2014, 00:03 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 21:12:
While Rebellion has every right to shut down unauthorized resellers from selling keys that were not purchased from Rebellion/Steam, it would have been far better PR just to accept the loss and tighten up their distribution of keys going forward.

CJS seems to think they are entitled to sell CD keys they did not obtain from the source. Newsflash, you are not. Works the same in retail. Companies don't get to go buy goods on the black market and sell them at retail when they do not have a legitimate deal in place with distributors.

Actually, in the EU, once Rebellion sell the keys to a distributor, they have lost ownership of them. If they are shutting off the keys of EU members that have bought them, even illegally, then they are essentially stealing. I hope they get arrested for this behavior.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 21:01 jdreyer

Bats, how was goat sim a bust? Am interested but seemed like a one trick pony.

Have you tried State of Decay yet? Played for the first time last night but couldn't get into it.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 28, 2014, 20:54 jdreyer

Hey they showed an RV with some machine guns on it. What more do you want?  

News Comments > X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit
15. Re: X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit Jun 28, 2014, 20:51 jdreyer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 18:15:
Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 14:27:
And according to this interview, the CEO still doesn't get why people don't like the game and has no intention of really making the big changes needed.

It's like he's saying they made a great game and people just don't get how great it is.

When did He Who Shall Not Be Named start working for Egosoft? Actually, their name is oddly fitting when you think about it.
He who shall not be named? Derek Smart?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 17:35 jdreyer

sir wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 12:28:
Not that I like the guy, but Blue, that Gordon Ramsey story is from 2009.

Here's a more recent story, if you're interested. Same old, same old.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 17:31 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 12:10:
I've been getting HTTP error 500 on all pages except the home page over the last few hours. This (assuming it gets posted) is the first time comments pages have worked for me today.

Nothing to worry about. That's probably just MI5 tapping your connection. After all those posts about how football was the most dangerous sport, they've probably decided you need watching.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 17:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 13:55:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 13:39:
Wolfentein - $30! Very fun game!

That is cray cray. It came out like three weeks ago!

And everyone, please buy Shadowrun Returns. If it sells enough copies, they will hopefully make more campaigns for it, and the Berlin one was awesome.

Bought!

24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 17:03 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:26:
Gee, guy, take a look at anatomical charts for men and women and study up on how the human race procreates (how you got here, in other words), and you may just discover the reason homosexuality has been a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history.

This one sentence explains every long-winded post you've ever written, although I should have taken the hint from your idolization of a misogynistic wife beater.

Homosexuality exists in nearly every single animal species on Earth. Not only is it a natural part of life, there must be an evolutionary benefit to it, or it would have been removed from the gene pool a hundred million years ago. You can't choose to be straight if you're gay any more than you can choose to be gay if you're straight. People are how they're born, and it's long past time for people to accept that, regardless of what they think about people's love life. Straight people have some pretty fcked up sexual practices, so that's hardly a reason to castigate gays.

23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 16:42 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 14:49:
Great just what I need... more idiots becoming gay because that's what the iphone's CEO is.

'OMG I just got the new iphone 6... AND I just turned gay!'

Okay, that totally cracked me up.

EDIT: Just re-read this. Just re-cracked up. Again.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2014, 17:24.

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 16:36 jdreyer

"Orogogus"Jun 28, 2014, 12:43 Would sexual orientation be an issue at all if the churches weren't banging that drum to their devotees?

The clergy bang more than just drums.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2014, 17:04.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2014, 15:38 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 00:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 22:26:
1badmf wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 19:37:
i actually just bought an xbone, and i hafta say, the kinect is not completely useless. not worth the $100 premium, but i got it for $430 which was totally worth it.

Yup, I'd consider picking one up if they were $50. Not $200 tho.

the voice commands are pretty efficient even if you have to speak up. gesture interface is pretty worthless though. it takes a few seconds to recognize your hand is up, and then the hand icon tends to jump around a lot. lot faster to just use the controller. still, for $30 premium, the potential is worth it.

The funny story I heard is that XBox would say "Hello Jennifer!" or whatever whenever the dog came into the room. Turns out Jennifer is the guys wife.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2014, 15:36 jdreyer

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 23:18:

Windows 8 is a failure in the same way. Although, it seems to be dying a much slower death for some reason. Microsoft has made a few 180's but I am not sure if they are smart enough to realize that enough still hasn't been done to get me and a lot of other people on board. Fingers crossed for Windows 9. Hope Microsoft gets it by now. The consumer has the final decision in what stays and what goes. Not the company. #dealwiththatbitches

If people had to actually choose an OS for their new PC instead of having it preinstalled with no choice, Win 8 would be dead already.

8192 Comments. 410 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo