Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13136 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
44. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 8, 2015, 03:33 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 00:13:
updating Piranha Bytes' MMO

wait, what? the gothic dudes?

never knew that

Blue got confused. It's Piranha Games, not Piranha Bytes.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
42. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 21:18 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 17:12:
It really is a lame game design choice. You're an explorer to an unsurveyed world, scanning and naming creatures - but if you kill any of them then hoards of robots just pop into existence and start killing you.

Now if they made other creatures big and small start stomping you into the ground then maybe. You could even have "tremors" like creatures pop out of the ground and try to kill you. But nope, flying robots - on every planet.

Would be cool if it was an option, but I think this is an MMO. So maybe they could have a "No Sentinel" server?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 7, 2015, 17:12 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:49:
Complete guide to speeding up your pc's boot time:

SSD. There. I didn't read the article and now You don't need to either.

Edit: now that I've read the article, I feel like an asshole. It's actually pretty good stuff.

Heh, thanks for the edit. It inspired me to read the article.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 7, 2015, 17:07 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 14:17:
VR will be a niche tech, but a successful one. It won't be a flash in the pan, as many naysayers claim, but nor will it be ubiquitous as Zuckerberg opines.

I think it'll be about as successful as 3d tv.

It will be more successful than that. 3D TV is a failed niche product. Very few have sold, and of those sold, few get used for 3D. There isn't much 3D media to even use with it. VR will sell quite a bit, and will be well-used for games that make sense for its unique display: sims, racers, 3D platformers, first person puzzlers, horror. Unlike 3D TV, practically any 3D game can be used with VR once a simple driver has been written for it. And genres of games that can only be used with VR will spring forth, further cementing its place. It won't be the new cell phone, but it won't be a failure like 3D TV.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2015, 14:52 jdreyer

Oh God, Someone Ran Fear and Loathing Through Google's Neural Network.

So I totally want to see Star Wars or LotR run through Deep Dream.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 7, 2015, 14:48 jdreyer

You feel me?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 7, 2015, 14:47 jdreyer

On the one hand, there needs to be secrecy and some punishment for divulging secrets. On the other hand, 90% of all the secret stuff should never be secret in the first place, and is classified secret to hide governmental fuckups and illegalities. So it's a tricky thing.

The main problem is that the whistleblower protections simply don't work, and whistleblowers who work within the system face harassment and punishment. There needs to be a standalone independent whistleblower department that people can go to to report things confidentially without fear of reprisals. It's long past due to put this in place.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
20. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 14:40 jdreyer

Pretty nice engine. I'd love a new SP campaign. *sigh*  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 7, 2015, 14:17 jdreyer

VR will be a niche tech, but a successful one. It won't be a flash in the pan, as many naysayers claim, but nor will it be ubiquitous as Zuckerberg opines.  

Live long, and prosper.

20. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 14:11 jdreyer

Wildone wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 14:06:
Not asking for much are you, from a team of what 10 people? Geezuz..

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 13:52:
So far all the planets I have seen in various NMS demos (around a dozen or so) have had great variation in flora, fauna, geography, etc, but the population levels have been mostly the same: mostly undeveloped, but with a trading post. I wonder if there will be cities, planets that are mostly populated with humans, or alien civilizations, etc. Or completely undeveloped planets without trading posts or sentinels.

He said that tiny ship had a good sized cargo hold. Doesnít seem right.

I wonder if there is a stun type weapon you can use against the more aggressive fauna so you donít trigger the sentinels.

There have been battles in space, will there be battles between armies on planets? Like being in the middle of a Sup Com battle with all procedurally generated mechs, tanks, ships, etc.

I think most of my observations are doable with that team, especially since they already have the toolsets they can adapt. Probably the hardest thing would be civilizations, and I honestly doubt we'll see that at launch. Procedural cities and buildings and roads and trains and farms probably not that hard for this team, but populating them with AI humans and aliens that have "lives" they're living, a la Simcity, would be the challenging part.

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 14:07 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:10:
Finally! That's what I needed to see. It almost feels like they were shooting for an Elite feel to some aspects. I don't expect a big guided experience, just the exploration and upgrading aspects alone will keep me occupied for awhile.

Yeah, it's like a colorful more whimsical Elite in some respects, but with planetary landings and exploration.

It's good to be skeptical, but this is kind of the holy grail of space games: complete freedom to go wherever you want, do whatever you want without any artificial restrictions or arbitrary invisible walls. I think it looks pretty awesome, and am looking forward to playing this. With open world games like this, I tend to play 40 or 50 hours, then put it down and come back a year later and play another 40 or 50 hours. I expect this game will be the same for me.

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 13:54 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 13:05:
I heard the end goal is to reach the center of the galaxy. Because reasons or something.

They've said they've been keeping the end game a secret intentionally. Like Peter Molyneux did with Curiosity.

Seriously, though. You want him to explain what happens at the end?

Live long, and prosper.

15. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 13:52 jdreyer

So far all the planets I have seen in various NMS demos (around a dozen or so) have had great variation in flora, fauna, geography, etc, but the population levels have been mostly the same: mostly undeveloped, but with a trading post. I wonder if there will be cities, planets that are mostly populated with humans, or alien civilizations, etc. Or completely undeveloped planets without trading posts or sentinels.

He said that tiny ship had a good sized cargo hold. Doesnít seem right.

I wonder if there is a stun type weapon you can use against the more aggressive fauna so you donít trigger the sentinels.

There have been battles in space, will there be battles between armies on planets? Like being in the middle of a Sup Com battle with all procedurally generated mechs, tanks, ships, etc.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 7, 2015, 04:25 jdreyer

@Nethead,

Meh, they could release a XB1 or PS4 with faster hardware, especially now that they're using off the shelf PC parts. Older games would run fine, and newer games could be set to detect the new hardware and adjust res/graphics accordingly. In fact, now that they're all PC-based anyway, the "next gen" console might just be a hardware refresh, keeping the previous O/S, etc. That would keep old game compatibility while allowing for better looking AAA games.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 7, 2015, 04:06 jdreyer

Hi-Rez capping Smite World Championship prize pool at $1m.

To quote Apone from Aliens:

"Sir, this place is dead. Whatever happened here, I think we missed it."

Late to the MOBA party, and $1M in prize money won't fix that.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2015, 21:11 jdreyer

Task wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 19:22:
Like what terror activity, radical activism?

Hey, those vegans and proponents of a $1 increase on the minimum wage are an EXISTENTIAL threat to the USA. Also, too: PETA.

I love how your secret plan made Ars, Senate.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jul 6, 2015, 19:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:38:
That was definitely the danger zone.

This is pretty sphincter tightening as well.

Great White With the Munchies

Man, that shark was determined.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 6, 2015, 19:13 jdreyer

PewDiePie Productions made $7.45m in 2014.

Good work if you can get it. Being an ass on the internet, I mean.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 19:08 jdreyer

PS4 sales hit 23 million, Xbox One trails behind with 12 million.

Damn, Sony doubled up MS.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2015, 19:02 jdreyer

edaciousx wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:20:
So... I heard there was a caitlyn jenner on the US Women's team who made like 3 goals in the first 30 minutes of the game.... Not sure that's fair. I'd look this up to verify but I'm at work.

Carli Lloyd is a lot of things: amazing, infuriating, spectacular, careless, but she is straight and was born a woman. She's engaged to her boyfriend, and they've known each other since childhood.

A few of the US players are out as bi or gay, and one of them is married to her wife. FIFA performs sex testing (although only on the women, apparently) and allows trans players to play if they have gender surgery and take hormone therapy. There has only been one transgender player in the world cup, and she plays for American Samoa.

You might want to check the source of your info. It sounds full of sour grapes.

Live long, and prosper.

13136 Comments. 657 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo