Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 10071 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
36. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 17:50 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:50:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:43:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:38:
Lame derivative crap.

Blizzard has almost always been derivative. They've been successful because they've been able to make one of the best versions of that genre: Warcraft, WoW, StarCraft, Hearthstone. Diablo is probably the only thing original they've ever done.

I know. That's why I said "lame derivative crap". And Diablo original? Well... top-down simplistic point&click hack'n'slash was not really blowing anyone's socks off at that time either was it?
I mean the execution was top notch as always but it wasn't really revolutionary per se.

I guess I was pointing out that while Blizzard has rarely been revolutionary, they've also rarely been lame.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

Welp, no comments so far. Could #Gamergate be truly defunct as a topic?  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week
6. Re: Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week Nov 7, 2014, 15:54 jdreyer

Arithon wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:24:
Free weekend. Goody.

A few people can download it and become disheartened with the death of the BattleField franchise.

DLC was killing BF4 one server at a time and then Hardline mod (sorry totally new full price game) BETA threw up all over the corpse.

Yeah, used to love the BF franchise. Just so tired of they way it's run these days.

Played ARMA3 during the free weekend. I think I'll get my "large scale military kicks" from there.

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
80. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 15:53 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:38:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:40:
Grognard usually refers to someone who plays war or strategy games.

In this case, yes, although it refers to the French "old grumblers" who were veterans of many conflicts in the 19th century.

Source: The Franco-Prussian War

Hey, thanks. I always wondered about the origin.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:07:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:02:
Can anyone currently playing tell me if this date is too soon? It sounds like there is still a lot of work to do.
Those playing the game already paid for it more than what the final release will cost, and to be honest I haven't heard a heck of a lot of complaining about getting ripped off.
So imho the game will be well worth it but your mileage may very. The complaints usually comes from from those that aren't exactly sure what Elite is and expect it to be a different game than what it is.

I guess what I mean is that I've heard that basically all there is right now are FedEx quests, none of the "backdrop of raw anarchy, galactic powerplays and intrigue" that they're advertising. Is there any indication that stuff will be ready in a month?

Also, remember this awesome cap ship battle? I've watched several hours of beta footage and have yet to even see a cap ship, never mind a battle like this.

11. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:43 jdreyer

So they canceled Titan to make this?  

10. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:43 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:38:
Lame derivative crap.

Blizzard has almost always been derivative. They've been successful because they've been able to make one of the best versions of that genre: Warcraft, WoW, StarCraft, Hearthstone. Diablo is probably the only thing original they've ever done.

9. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:40 jdreyer

*skips cinematic trailer, watches "gameplay" trailer*

That's still a cinematic trailer, it is just in-engine.

This looks to be like a combination MOBA and TF2. Waiting until I know more to pass judgement. If it gets good reviews, I'll pick it up if it has full bot support a la UT.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Burritos Nov 7, 2014, 15:31 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:01:
It's funny. And true.

Fuck you, publishers. FUCK YOU.

Hey, it's not all bad. In six months you'll be able to buy that burrito on Steam for a 75% discount. Sure, it won't taste as good, having been frozen for six months, but look at the price! The add-ons cheese and salsa still full price however.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2014, 15:22 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:53:
And what isn't told was they brought in a dog and they found pot and now the high up exec is facing drug possession charges.

I kid on this article, but there is a story like this that this has happened to. Talk about a real punch in the gut. So you also have civil rights issues, what if they refused to have the police enter?

I think there was a case recently where the police faked a 911 call to a residence so they could use it as an excuse to enter and search. Then when they found drugs, they got a warrant and had the person arrested. Luckily, that guy got off. But I wonder how many times that has happened where the person wasn't the wiser.

Then there's "parallel construction" where the NSA "accidentally" stumbles on drug info while tracking all the terrorists that are rampant in the USA. They feed that info to police departments that then use some other pretense to arrest and search the person, finding the drugs.

Both of these techniques are blatant violations of the fourth amendment of the US constitution.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Why Sand Is Disappearing Nov 7, 2014, 15:14 jdreyer

bmn wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 14:29:
Listed under Science, but this is totally an opinion piece, not science!

Sand does disappear and needs to be replenished:

Erosion and rising sea levels have swallowed a foot of Waikiki Beach annually since 1985. This phenomenon, while accelerated in the last few decades, is nothing new. Reports from the 1920s and 1930s reveal that sand was brought in from Manhattan Beach, California, via ship and barge, to Waikiki Beach. Importation of sand into Hawaii ceased in the 1970s.

Recently, sand has been pumped from neutral areas of the ocean floor some 2,000 feet off Waikiki to fill in the shrinking beach. In 2004, the state spent $500,000 to siphon 10,000 cubic yards of sand from offshore—the largest replenishment effort of Waikiki’s beaches in more than 30 years. It’s a solution that aims to lessen the environmental impact and is being adopted by deteriorating beaches worldwide.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 15:02 jdreyer

Can anyone currently playing tell me if this date is too soon? It sounds like there is still a lot of work to do.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2014, 14:58 jdreyer

Mark Wahlberg will star as the significantly more expensive 'Six Billion Dollar Man'.

Within three episodes they'll work in the phrase "I'll be back."

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2014, 14:57 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 14:47:
So, you're saying Blue wears a beret?

I want to see a pic of that. Blue? Is it a Blue beret?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2014, 14:41 jdreyer

It goes without saying that the ordinary citizen who is the target of a government investigation cannot simply pick up the phone, call up the prosecutor in charge of his case and have a legal proceeding canceled. But Dimon did just that. "And he didn't just call the prosecutor, he called the prosecutor's boss," Fleischmann says.

Why could they get legal proceedings canceled and get a slap on the wrist? Because they're huge political donors to both parties.

Why did we get the private-focused ACA instead of single payer? Why is there no public option? Why does the ACA add tens of millions of people to the insurance company rolls? Because they're huge political donors to both parties.

Get the money out of politics, and you have real fines and criminal prosectution here. Get the money out of politics and you have a much better healthcare system (we pay almost twice as much for the same outcomes as other western nations). Get the money out of politics and we get legislation that helps people, not corporations.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2014, 13:46 jdreyer

Net Neutrality Won't Fix ISP Throttling, Here's Why.

If they were designated as common carriers they'd be subject to more regulation. I wonder if that would give the FCC enough leeway to stop this foolishness.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Nov 7, 2014, 13:42 jdreyer

Spacebase DF-9 version 1.04 released.

So, uh, how is it looking?

61. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:40 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:32:
NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:45:
The skepticism around Origin didn't really pan out. Yeah, a lot of us hardcore grognards try to avoid it

Not sure what a grognard is... but hardcore, the only reason I wouldn't use anything is if it was truly shitty, didn't work and caused me a lot of headaches, that was GFWL. These other offerings and GOG's has their upcoming client coming to. If they install, I can log in and buy, download and run, I actually respect their right to do this. It is a fair business decision, I have to think all of us if in their position would be thinking the same, 30% if fucking huge to give up.

With Win 7 pc gaming has been easier and more reliable then ever. The apps are working no matter who, the fault is the entire industry not making a cooperative frontend for the users.
Grognard usually refers to someone who plays war or strategy games.

59. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:33 jdreyer

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:06:
Pirate bay all the way.

Don't be a douchenozzle.

56. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:29 jdreyer

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:22:
Their funeral. I suspect they're going to try their own for the holiday season, and when it flops, they'll be back on steam in the spring.

Ubi has been making consistently decent games for a while now. I'm surprised this move took them this long. It makes sense for them to get that 30% back. They come out ahead even with a 25% drop in PC sales.

10071 Comments. 504 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo