Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11665 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
6. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:28 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:17:
I hope they've double checked the specs this time

(Shhhhh! It's only an 11.5 GB frame buffer!)

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 4, 2015, 19:24 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:18:
Interesting to see all the PC games making their way to the consoles, Elite, Tropico, Wasteland2

Elite makes sense because you can fly the ship with a controller, but Tropico and WL2 I'm having a harder time imagining.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gigantic a Windows 10 Launch Game
2. Re: Gigantic a Windows 10 Launch Game Mar 4, 2015, 19:17 jdreyer

Trailer reminds me of Battleborn.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 4, 2015, 19:09 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 18:57:
For some reason I'm starting to think Valve for PC Level VR and Oculus for Mobile level VR.

Why?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 4, 2015, 19:06 jdreyer

Elite: Dangerous confirmed for Xbox One.

Ah, so that's where the money for offline single player went to.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May
28. Re: NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May Mar 4, 2015, 16:47 jdreyer

MindStalker3 wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:36:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 10:25:
The critical flaw with streaming is that there's lag. It makes inputs less responsive and means that you're too late to react to what's really happening in the game. Any game that requires actual player skill would suffer significantly. Also, to Stream really high quality graphics with no compression artifacts, you'd need an internet connection that I'm not sure exists or is affordable to us mortals.

And GRID is their game to show off this? That seems like an incredibly arrogant move. Driving games by definition are the most lag sensitive games possible. A few milliseconds of difference between you winning and running into a wall.

Can't tell if kidding, but the story says, "NVIDIA GRID is a game streaming service that delivers PC quality gaming to the living room,"

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May
27. Re: NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May Mar 4, 2015, 16:46 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 15:39:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 10:25:
The critical flaw with streaming is that there's lag. It makes inputs less responsive and means that you're too late to react to what's really happening in the game. Any game that requires actual player skill would suffer significantly. Also, to Stream really high quality graphics with no compression artifacts, you'd need an internet connection that I'm not sure exists or is affordable to us mortals.

really great creative writing but what does it have to do with this story
What are you talking about? His concerns are spot on. You are streaming your game over the internet. Your input travels over the internet to NVidia's servers, where they process it, render the images, and send them back. There will be lag, even if you're living next door to the servers. It may be acceptable for games like Civ, but good luck being competitive in ArmA or BF. As for compression, I get compression artifacts using Steam to stream from my game machine to my laptop over Gb Ethernet, 100s of times faster than most internet connections. So, yes, there will be artifacting.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2015, 16:24 jdreyer

@ 1badmf:

in vietnamese there's no word for green, which is odd considering the whole country is covered in green jungle. there's just the word for blue, and to get green you add a modifier, literally, "blue in the shade of tree leaves". very environmental language, which is not to say we have difficulty seeing any colors. afaik no one in my family has difficulty seeing blue or green.

That sounds similar to Japanese. I wonder if this is a trend in most east Asian languages, as they seem to share a lot of other similarities.

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2015, 16:12 jdreyer

Half Life 3 confirmed?

Motoring Crunch then wrote, "For those who are unaware of the havoc that is going on, Steam was updated yesterday and it saw the addition of App 323900. The amazing part is with the fact that App 33900 came out with Half Life 3's logo."

Live long, and prosper.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2015, 14:18 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 10:07:
What if Wes Anderson directed X-Men?

That was fucking brilliant, and I'd totally see it...

I agree, that was a pretty excellent Wes Anderson send-up while also standing on its own. And I say that as a Wes fan.

What I think Cutter was referring to.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 14:00 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:25:

And this post does what now?

It BURNS you. Don't your feel burned?

Live long, and prosper.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 13:59 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 13:49:
I thought I heard of one family, where the woman was compromised, and they went into hiding. But that was it...

If they want to charge him with that, fine. But he by no means unraveled the security of our nation of anything like that...

As I understand it, the entire reason he went with Poitras and Greenwald to begin with instead of just dumping everything onto bittorrent was to help ensure that no damaging info got out. AFAIK, no one has been killed as a result. Just read some article on this topic a week or so ago.

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 13:55 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:13:
Yeah, sure he would. Forget it Ed. I wouldn't want to stay in Russia but I wouldn't want to go home either. It's too bad he couldn't land in Europe somwhere.

Yeah, he can't come home. There's no way he'd be treated fairly. Just look at how they are treating Chelsea Manning. Even if he got a presidential pardon, he'd be a target for some right-wing nutjob. Obama of course, has ramped up the War On Journalism more than any other president in history though, so there's no way he'd get one anyway.

Live long, and prosper.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 13:43 jdreyer

Task wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:06:
He should stay living abroad, the U.S. has gone down hill since and even ramped up surveillance and draconian measures since the information he revealed, and is accelerating towards collapse. Just pick Iceland, Russia, Finland, Brazil, or something. If he comes back, the U.S. will have their way and throw him in prison lickety split, or be involved in a "nail gun" accident ("he shot himself, we swear!"), or have his car mysteriously driving itself into a pole.

Drive his car into a pole? No idea what you're talking about.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 4, 2015, 13:38 jdreyer

Vulnerabilities in Blu-Ray Players Open Door for Network Compromise.

My Bluray player has an Ethernet port, and when I bought it a few years ago I hooked it up. Every Bluray disk was exhorting me to go online for "Exclusive content!" I tried about 10 disks, and in every single case the online content was "unavailable at this time." There was a difference though: now on the menu page many disks streamed windowed advertisements for other movies that made seeing the actual BRD menu difficult to see and use. I unplugged the cable and haven't tried it again since.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 4, 2015, 13:27 jdreyer

And at 1% of the cost needed to actually make the product. A fool and their money...  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 02:18 jdreyer

You tell 'em Jimmy!  

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2015, 20:37 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 18:58:
And this is why this is bullshit. It's not even the guy who wrote the fucking song but his family. Why should they have any claim to it? They had fuck all to do with it.

Because our stupid copyright laws are 90 years long.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steam Link Announced
4. Re: Steam Link Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:13 jdreyer

So will/can/how do controllers work with the streaming content?

How can the controllers linked to the computer upstairs communicate with the TV downstairs?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
7. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:10 jdreyer

Zor wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 19:53:
NamecaF wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 19:52:
HL3 to be the Source Engine 2 launch title makes sense. Fingers crossed?

I sure hope so. Well, I hope for a new grand slam: Portal 3, Half Life 3, Left 4 D3ad.. 3. See what I did there

Titanfall 3 2?

Live long, and prosper.

11665 Comments. 584 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo