Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8470 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2014, 02:49 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 22:30:
Somebody should tell the people of Ferguson that proving that they are peaceful by starting a huge riot does not make sense.

Someone should tell the Ferguson police that when people are peacefully protesting, they don't need to be doused with tear gas.

That police force is rotten to the core, both racially...
Six black men I spoke to, nearly consecutively, pointed to Missouri’s felon-disfranchisement laws as part of the equation. “If you’re a student in one of the black schools here and you get into a fight you’ll probably get arrested and charged with assault. We have kids here who are barred from voting before they’re even old enough to register,” one said. Ferguson’s elected officials did not look much different than they had years earlier, when it was a largely white community.

and economically.
When you split a metro area into dozens of tiny local governments (St. Louis County, to be clear, doesn’t include the actual city of St. Louis, which spun off from it in the 19th century), they tend to duplicate each others’ services, which is of course extremely expensive. But raising taxes so that each tiny borough can afford its own police and fire department is a nonstarter, since wealthy residents can always just move one town over. End result: You have police departments that self-fund by handing out tickets. And thanks to the delightful racial dynamics of U.S. law enforcement, black residents are disproportionately stopped and accosted, even though police in Ferguson are less likely to find contraband when they search black drivers than when they search whites.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
48. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 21:32 jdreyer

@ Tom,

I don't think you and I are too far apart. While I don't think it was his primary motivation, certainly he thinks it will sell lots. He wasn't doing it for charity.

@ Newmaxx,

All the things you describe are niche. Raspberry pi is niche. The uses you describe for VR are niche. Or maybe I've got it wrong and the definition of "mainstream" is off? Graphic accelerators used to be niche. Then AMD and Intel built them into the procs they install on every machine, whereby they went mainstream. IMO, football and basketball are mainstream, b/c nearly everyone has played those at some point in their lives, if only a Thanksgiving pickup game, but skiing is niche. I really don't see anyone from my parent's generation using an OR, but they all have smartphones, graphic accels in their computers, use Facebook, play video games (if only Tetris or Farmville), etc.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2014, 20:36 jdreyer

"Swatting" Prank Goes Horribly Wrong When Police Find Twitch Celebrity's Pot Stash.

Oh, man. Poor guy, what a waste of police resources. MJ possession shouldn't be a crime, either. I hope they catch the swatter and slap him with a false report.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 18:47 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 17:45:
I'm someone that hates the whole PCMASTERRACE crap

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

35. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 18:37 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 16:15:
He's a multi-millionaire, not billionaire so it's not that much. However, the fact that he is selling out when he doesn't need the money only makes it worse. Hell, I'd sell out for the right amount. Principles start to get pretty rubbery with the more money that's involved. I'd feel ashamed of course. But cruising around the Caribbean on my 50ft sailboat, drinking rum and banging hot island chicks has a way of assuaging that guilt PDQ.

Toff

Okay, but I don't see how this change gets him any extra money.

1. Supporting OR won't increase sales. No one is going to run out and buy this just because it suddenly is supported. People who already own it might go get an OR, but not the other way around.

2. Even if he didn't change his mind, Minecrift already supports OR in Minecraft. So his decision didn't matter either way.

34. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 15:48:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 14:55:
And it really seems like Zuck was making this investment not primarily as a financial decision, but as a fan of the technology ($2B for niche tech? Are you kidding me?).

3D hardware acceleration was once niche tech. Smartphones were once niche tech. Someone with the means and vision could have made a fortune on those and any number of other things. Zuck's $2B could easily be handsomely rewarded. And if it isn't? No big loss for him, he'll still be filthy rich no matter what. And he'll have had tons of fun with Oculus Rift. Why would he NOT do that deal, given the opportunity? Why would you not do it?

I think you're making my point for me? You kind of start off opposing my statement, but support it at the end.

33. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 18:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 16:12:
Vid cards were a necessity that were bound to happen sooner rather than later anyway, and people need phones so that's par for the course. Apart from practical applications in science/medicine/military with VR most people aren't going to want to strap a TV to their face. They don't even want to wear 3D glasses and they're a lot less cumbersome. VR for entertainment value will remain niche until they can make them no bigger than a pair of sunglasses or contacts. I really don't see it happening until people can jack in ala Neuromancer/Snow Crash.

Right, I pretty much agree. I think this will be somewhat popular niche, but still niche. And unlike phones and graphic accelerators, I don't see a path for this to go mainstream. We're a few decades from a pair of 50 gram glasses that can project images right to your retinas.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 15:31 jdreyer

System Shock 2 Custom PC Case.

Yeesh, that looks like an airflow nightmare. If SHODAN had been built like this, the game would have been over after the first level b/c she'd have overheated and shut down.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 15:26 jdreyer

What accounts for the high consumption of bourbon?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2014, 15:17 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 12:18:
Apple tablets are terrible compared to the competition. They'd need to do a whole lot more (of either brainwashing, or actually improving their product) to make people want to buy them, especially at their extremely overinflated prices.

What makes you say they're terrible? I'm a Galtab owner, but we've got iPads at work, and they seem fine. My objection to Apple is with their walled garden, not their devices.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 15:16 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 12:28:
The PC Master Race doesn't bow to the plebeian console dregs--and why should they? Why chance a transference of filth onto thine robes, when thou canst jeer and scoff from on high in thine pearly balcony perched upon thine ivory tower of righteousness? Knaves.

Hahahahaha. We joke around here a lot about the PC Master Race, but it's surprising to see that attitude seek into official outlets of the industry.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Details
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Details Aug 18, 2014, 15:12 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 11:43:
Seasons passes are up for passing

I know, right? Remember when a game was just a standalone game with no expectation of expansion pack, unless it sold really, really well? Now a game is an excuse to milk as much cash as possible from people. Season passes are just automatic now, regardless of whether it makes sense, is desired by consumers, etc. etc.

18. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 15:10 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:22:
I would have thought Minecraft isn't very suited to the Rift. I wouldn't want to spend an entire evening wearing the DK1's headset in one go and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

I've been watching Minecraft vids on Google Cardboard to get an idea of what it would be like, and it's totally awesome. You get completely immersed in the world. MC is one of the best uses of VR due to the wide variety of object distance, providing a sense of scale and depth lacking on a flat screen. Standing on the edge of a cliff is both breathtaking and induces a sense of vertigo. Caves intimidate extending down into the dark distance. Trees reach into the sky. It's easy to assess the distance of approaching mobs. The only OR game movie I've seen that is similar is Skyrim.

17. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 14:57 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:47:
When you abandon your principles for money that's called selling out.

Except that Notch has more money than he can spend in seven lifetimes. OR won't substantially add to his sales, if at all. It will simply add more immersiveness to his 5 year old game. It sounds like he just changed his mind, and especially given that FB has been hands off with Oculus, that's not an illogical transformation of opinion.

16. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 14:55 jdreyer

Bundy wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 14:53:
I was considering making my wife mad and buying the DK2, cause it really does look neat. But then I'd just regret not waiting another year for the superior CR.

So that's the plan now, I'll make her mad in 2015.

I admit to the same dilemma. Do we even know if CV1 will ship in 2015?

15. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 14:55 jdreyer

The truth is that the end result (say, CV 3 or 4) of the OR was impossible to do without a corporate backer: half the size and weight of the DK2, completely wireless, all head tracking internal to the device, 4K resolution, etc. This is going to take years, and cost $100 million in research. I requires custom screens, custom chips, and a whole bunch of other things that OR is going to have to research, design, and build themselves. And it really seems like Zuck was making this investment not primarily as a financial decision, but as a fan of the technology ($2B for niche tech? Are you kidding me?). So far, FB has stayed completely hands off. Until we see otherwise, all parties involved need the benefit of the doubt.  

7. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 13:22 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 11:56:
It still blows my mind that Minecraft is the #3 most copies sold game of all time.

I know right? Who thought complete freedom to be creative would be so popular? It's not like there's a real-world analog worth $15 billion or anything.

Say what you will about MC or Notch, but the game is essentially a brand new genre. It's not every day that something like that comes a long. The only other one I can think of is the MOBA genre in the past decade.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 04:36 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 01:55:
nin wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 19:50:

Grab the harmy cuts in the meantime. They're excellent.

The what now? Confused

Someone(s) reconstructed the original cut of the original trilogy using original footage garnered from hi def stills, laser disc copies, etc. I've not seen them, but I think nin DL'd them all and speaks very highly of them. More about them can be read here.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 04:30 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 17:30:
Sounds like one of the founders of the challenge who raised $100,000 died yesterday morning.

Weird. I wonder what happened. I mean, I read that he dove, floated, and sank, but why?

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2014, 04:37.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2014, 03:34 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 17:11:
  • O.C. Couple Obsessed With ‘World of Warcraft’ Sentenced to Prison for Extreme Child Neglect.
  • Why bother feeding, clothing, and housing your children when you can live with your REAL family online?

Heh.

Seriously, though. Why not just give the kids up for adoption if you'd rather play games? There's lots of folks out there looking for kids.

8470 Comments. 424 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo