Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11286 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
7. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:10 jdreyer

Zor wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 19:53:
NamecaF wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 19:52:
HL3 to be the Source Engine 2 launch title makes sense. Fingers crossed?

I sure hope so. Well, I hope for a new grand slam: Portal 3, Half Life 3, Left 4 D3ad.. 3. See what I did there

Titanfall 3 2?

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2015, 12:58 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 11:45:
I was told that apparently the Japanese language still does not have a word for blue, instead it refers to something more blue-green...

pretty weird

The word is "ao." The Japanese usually translate it as "blue" but when you're at a stoplight and it turns green, they say "Ao desu" (It's green). Very strange, as those colors are pretty distinct IMO. Light blue, on the other hand, is "mizu iro" literally, "water colored."
Complicating the issue is that the Japanese actually have a word for green, "midori" (namesake of the famous melon liqueur). The word is usually applied to lighter shades of green, but is technically considered a subset of "ao." Further, Japanese people sometimes also use "guriin" from English.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
34. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2015, 06:11 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 03:33:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:24:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:11:
in Canada game prices went up to $74.99 now, so it would be $150 + 13% tax here for everything.
highway robbery!

The SP campaign is about a group of robbers trying to steal enough money to be able purchase the game they're starring in.

The END Boss is an EA exec that if you fail to beat on the first try with only a knife and pistol with 1 shot deletes your entire OS, encrypts your HDD and kills your dog
With QTEs! Don't forget the QTEs!

Live long, and prosper.

33. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 3, 2015, 06:10 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 00:49:
Xero wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 11:21:
BF3 Premium pissed me off. BF4 and all it's DLCs and Premium crap pissed me off worse. I'm done with all future BF games officially.

Ditto, except I learned my lesson from BF3. Didn't buy BF4. I'm having a hard time even being interested in the upcoming Battlefront game from DICE...because I know it will be a buggy mess filled with overpriced DLC.

Yeah picked up BF3 for $5 to play the SP campaign but couldn't even get through 30m. Am very worried about Battlefront. Offline play with bots is why Battlefront 2 still gets played but Dice doesn't make games like that anymore.

Live long, and prosper.

31. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 3, 2015, 06:02 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 03:56:
My question for the rest of you is, what FPS game are you playing that i'm obviously not? Is there something better that i'm really not aware of?

I've been fragging since Wolfenstein 3D, and FPS games have always spoken to me. I also have ADD and can't deal with the same small repetitive map over and over until my eyes bleed.

So.... what else is there? Planetside? I'd like a retail game i can buy, instead of F2P.

So tell me bluesnews members, what FPS are you playing?
Currently playing AIX 2.0 for BF2. New faction, dozens of new vehicles, hundreds of maps, classes revamped with unique weapons, SP, coop vs bot, or MP. So much to do and so much fun. Check it out: Allied Intent Xtended 2.0. Free mod for BF2.

Live long, and prosper.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2015, 00:49 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:37:

I know you're being fatuous but I didn't know that so I won't be using it. Mmmkay?

I don't have a G+ account set up, and I use it weekly for Dreyerdaughter's sports website. And it's a lot easier to use than GIMP for simple things like color correct, contrast, cropping, etc. If you want to do more powerful editing, GIMP is the better choice, but you'll spend a lot more time learning it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2015, 00:45 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:49:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:21:
This is one of the people you want to be the public face of Gamergate?

So he's not a very solid businessman. Last I checked Gamergate isn't about wise spending of game budget.

It's not just budget issues. He also throws tantrums, throws objects, and summarily fires people. Regardless if GG is "leaderless" he's a high profile dev, and his name will be associated with the movement, for better or worse. Based on recent history, the latter seems more likely.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Bombshell Details & Trailer
10. Re: Bombshell Details & Trailer Mar 2, 2015, 22:28 jdreyer

Is it just me, or does the main character look like she was modeled on Anita Sarkeesian?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2015, 21:27 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:17:
The Retcon strikes again! I am looking forward to Blomkamp's take on the Aliens universe... he could make something really amazing.

Or be utterly hamstrung by various corporate entities, we'll see.

I think it all depends on how Chappie does. And it's a bad sign that the movie opens in four days, but there are no reviews yet on RT. It means they don't have confidence in the film, and it means it's probably pretty bad. Which means lots of corporate fingers in Blomkamp's Alien pie.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End
5. Re: Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End Mar 2, 2015, 20:30 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:29:
Have to wonder with console hard drives getting larger (and more machine power) if this might be in the works for the consoles as well.

That's an interesting question. How do you even mod on a console anyway?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End
3. Re: Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End Mar 2, 2015, 20:29 jdreyer

Should help projects like Skywind.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Bombshell Details & Trailer
4. Re: Bombshell Details & Trailer Mar 2, 2015, 20:28 jdreyer

Meh, doesn't look that bad. There's a lot of creativity there. Definitely not UE4, though (or if it is, they're not using it to full potential). Still the gameplay looks twitchy to me, so I will probably take a pass on this.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 20:21 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 15:08:
Why? I have no idea who Mark Kern is. I'm going to do my own research but I'm interested in your view on it.

He spent 10s of millions and seven years to develop Firefall, which tanked. He spent millions on a "Firefall bus" to promote the game, when the game wasn't even in alpha, and the money should have been spent building the game. He made stupid promotional music vids like this.
Employee 1:
He would swoop in one afternoon and berate a series of features several teams had spent months on, declaring they begin again and LISTEN to what he told them to do. He’d be back in a few days to see if it was done. This crushed morale, and forced people into spontaneous, isolated crunch mode. He would shout and scream his perspectives.
Employee 2:
The CEO goes through spurts and can be there for a few weeks at a time, then suddenly disappears. He tries to compensate by having open company meetings for anyone who would like to attend, but if he does not postpone or cancel, it is nothing but hearing his ideas and what books he has read.
Employee 3:
Employees are fired not for messing up, but for offending the CEO. In fact, as long as you’re in good standing with the CEO, your job will be protected
This is one of the people you want to be the public face of Gamergate?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
37. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 18:55 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:49:
Because of modding I would assume that it will be another semi-proprietary engine (Creation 2.0) instead of UE or any other commercial engine.

Because UE doesn't allow for modding?

I wouldn't have thought UE4 would have been able to handle the scope and indoor-outdoor combination required, but Mad Max just posted this link in UE4 thread, and I'd say there might be potential for UE4 to handle a FO or TES game.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
34. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 18:49 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:30:
In related news the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha is actually looking really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU

Wow, yeah. Looks fantastic. Looks so much better than the untextured polys they were showing last year.

And they're going to give this away free or something?

Lastly, Assault mode, or GTFO.

Live long, and prosper.

33. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 18:41 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:26:
5 points is more than fair. The key factors here are how long it takes to get your people up to speed with it and how moddable it is - can you create new tools libraries for it, etc. How limited are you with it?

Steam on the other hand is like legalized extortion. Seriously, that's an exorbitant amount for them doing virtually nothing. You can see why everyone is trying to launch competing services and that's a good thing.

Steam is probably charging a bit more than they could. 30% was probably what was feasible 6-7 years ago when they were first starting out, based on the fixed costs they were going to have. Now, with such volume, those fixed costs are pretty diluted, even though they're still spending 10s of millions on server infrastructure. They could probably get away with 20% pretty easily, but hey, everyone is making money and wants to be on Steam, so...

If in fact it is too high, we'll see growth in Steam's competitors.

Live long, and prosper.

22. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 17:12 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 16:33:
I am sad to see that it took until BF 4 for some to finally see things for what they are and to no longer give a shit.

Better late than never though!

Played AIX for BF2 last night. So. Fucking. Awesome. It's such a shame that BF3/4 are locked down to prevent modding like that. If DayZ has taught us anything, it's that modding sells more games.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2015, 17:02 jdreyer

Alamar wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:56:
We have a big-ass four car sized driveway... And no snow blower... Which we refuse to buy, because shoveling is the only exercise I (previously we) get in the winter... Though this year, the wife has been doing most of it before I get up for work, so it's not working as well as I had planned...
Look at the upside. Now she is strong enough to kick your ass when you get out of line.

Oh, wait...

Live long, and prosper.

26. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 16:29 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:53:
Axis wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:42:
Ahh the sweet sound of capitalism and competition - thanks Unity!

Unity has nothing to do with this. Unity has made absolutely no dent in AAA games, which Unreal owns. It's made a big dent in mobile games, which UE4 isn't yet optimized for.

Really? Looking pretty optimized here, and that was a year ago.

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 14:41 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:33:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:22:
Ah, that's a good point. Unreal can't make it net though, or creative accounting would result in no net profit, and they wouldn't be able to make any money. Yeah, 5% on top of the 30% or so Steam takes...

Yep 35%, which is still doable. What is GoG's cut?

It mentions:"5% royalty after the first $3,000 in quarterly gross revenue per commercial product"

So is that after $3,000 each quarter, so the first $3000 each quarter there is no royalties to Epic?
Sounds that way. That's how I read it.

Live long, and prosper.

11286 Comments. 565 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo