Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 10069 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 18:03 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 17:00:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 16:14:
Something like 90% of elections are determined by the side that spends more money.

Around 90% of elections (U.S. congressional seats, 2012) are won by the side that spends more money. That doesn't mean that the money determined the election. If one candidate seems more likely to win, they will attract donations because no one wants to buy someone who isn't going to be in power.

Money has way too much influence in politics, don't get me wrong, but I think this statistic gets misrepresented.

I guess we'll see. Both parties are pretty much beholden to business these days anyway, but with the unlimited political spending floodgates opened by the courts in both Citizens United and McCutcheon, we'll see if politicians become even more beholden to billionaires and conglomerates than they already are. Certainly governmental legislation today is not passed to benefit the citizen. I don't think this is the outcome the founders intended.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 15, 2014, 17:10 jdreyer

ldonyo wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:57:
If Sprint really means that, then either they aren't terribly concerned with having actual coverage in very many areas or they are very nearsighted in terms of network vision.

I translate it as "We've done the bare minimum we need to in order to collect gobs of cash, so now instead of spending 10% of our incoming revenue on infrastructure, we'll spend 0% and convert that to profit. Cha-ching!"

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 15, 2014, 17:09 jdreyer

Necrophob wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 15:27:
The Falling Dead? Is that when the Walking Dead get too old, and can't get up? :/

Heh, I tried to come up with a joke for this game title a couple of hours ago, but couldn't. I knew there was something in there. Kudos to you sir!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 15, 2014, 17:08 jdreyer

They spelt "gamer" rong.  

News Comments > Hatred Greenlight Campaign
13. Re: Hatred Greenlight Campaign Dec 15, 2014, 17:06 jdreyer

Not in favor of gov't censorship, but totally happy if these assholes went out of business. This game is nihilistic and pointless. I, too, wonder how all this will turn out.  

News Comments > Limit Theory Video
19. Re: Limit Theory Video Dec 15, 2014, 16:54 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:32:
Slashman wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 07:24:
Currently the AI can mine, trade, buy equipment, hire other NPCs, declare war all on its own. If I'm not mistaken, it can also offer the player missions.

but it cant fight, or organize tactical scenarios... which is a huge part of the game, and its no small thing to program competent combat AIs

Slashman wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 07:24:
If he promised something more, I missed it, and I've been following this pretty closely.

you did miss the combat side of it, not sure how but whatever

In previous updates he showed pirate factions attacking mining ships, and opposing factions attacking each other. So the skeleton at least for combat is in place.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2014, 16:52 jdreyer

Calvin has been at it again.

Probably Calvinski, Calvin's Russian cousin.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2014, 16:47 jdreyer

I came to punk a bit late (mid-80s) and The Clash were a great band, but I thought there were a lot of great bands out there and didn't particularly favor one over another:
- Violent Femmes
- Dead Kennedys
- Black Flag
- Siouxsie and the Banshees
- The Dead Milkmen
- Naked Raygun

I never really liked either the Pistols or The Cure. And I never considered The Ramones as punk somehow. They were too pop.

And while I'll never consider Suicidal Tendencies as a great band, they'll always have a special place in my heart for the song "Institutionalized."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2014, 16:26 jdreyer

Hackers promise “Christmas present” Sony Pictures won’t like.

I wonder what juicy tidbit will drop next. "Guardians of Peace" have been like Edward Snowden to Sony.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 16:25 jdreyer

Narf2029 wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:40:
It's funny that the transparency of the internet age has just made politicians blatantly corrupt instead of skulking around in the shadows. Still just as corrupt, if not more so, but the proof is literally all around us and the overwhelming majority of people simply don't care. This is a country where nobody likes a guy and nobody has liked him for 20 years yet he's been in the House of Representatives for 18 of those 20 years.

While I agree that the transparency the internet provides hasn't made things better (actually, maybe even worse as it's really accentuated the partisan divide, since partisans tend to be the most vocal), Pai isn't actually a politician. He's a bureaucrat. He's one of the Republican commissioners at the FCC which explains why, as the article explains, "is opposed to net neutrality rules, frequently absent in conversations about the sector's lack of competition, and an avid supporter of industry consolidation."

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 16:14 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 14:32:

That's because money buys votes. It's the reason most people in congress are mulch-millionaires and billionaires. How are you supposed to compete with that unless you've got serious money backing you and if you do that means you're beholden to that money. The problem is the system itself.

Something like 90% of elections are determined by the side that spends more money.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 16:13 jdreyer

Narf2029 wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 13:04:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:55:
Unfortunately people make rhetoric informed decisions when voting instead of behavior informed.

That's being generous and optimistic. "I'm going to vote for this guy because I've heard of him." "I'm going to vote for this guy because he's hot." "I'm going to vote for this guy because people keep telling me voting is important but my favorite TV show is going to be on in 15 minutes." And just wait until the next presidential election. The American people will vote in a Republican, no matter what his or her opinions and policies will be, because Obama is a Democrat. At best, the public can be expected to knee-jerk in the opposite direction and that's just because of presidential term limits. If not for term limits, the White House would be just like Congress - everyone hates Congress, their approval rating is in the teens, and yet we still re-elect the same people almost every single time.

Grams voted for Reagan "because he looked good on TV." *sigh*

She was an old catholic and probably would have voted for him regardless, but still.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2014, 02:31 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 23:12:

Didn't Troy Baker do Joel in Last of Us as well? He was fantastic there too. Definitely knocking on Nolan's door.

Didn't GnR do a cover of that song?

"A knock, knock, knockin' on Nolan's door..."

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 14, 2014, 23:08 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 19:40:
PenGun wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 16:53:
Wow. I've been playing ESO for far too long and ignoring the 'world of games' but this list looks like no new games came out this year.

Is it really this bad?

If you can't tell which of those games were released in 2014, you need to quit gaming.

I interpreted this as "New IP" not new games. Everything on the list is either a sequel or based on pre-existing IP except The Crew and This War of Mine.

12. Re: Limit Theory Video Dec 14, 2014, 17:42 jdreyer

The only thing he's contracted out for so far is the music. It will be really interesting to see how he comes up with the ship and station designs. So far, not his strong suit at all, but we'll see. Could be a potential thing to contract out.

There will be no cockpit view a la E:D. He said he doesn't have time for that. Plus it would block the view of space, and he's all about that view of space.

He toyed around with planetary landings and flying around planets, and it looked fantastic, but he nixed that for this version.

Apparently he's 23 and lives with his folks, so, yeah, he might be paying for food, a bit for rent, computer hardware and internet, probably covered under his parent's health care until he's 26 (thanks Obamacare!), etc. so $180K could go a long, long way.

The game will apparently be totally moddable, so any weak spots that the game ships with should be corrected by the mod community.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2014, 14:50 jdreyer

So, Blue, did they teach you anything like this?

I love Kickass.

Knife

3. Re: Limit Theory Video Dec 14, 2014, 14:14 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 13:16:
the unfocused and rambling nature of these videos has become more and more telling as time goes by

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there, and also meet deadlines quicker... i dont think there is anyway it will be moderately complete before next year, even if it is released sooner

Yeah, you're spot on IMO. I think averaging 4 hours a sleep per night for two years is starting to wear on him a bit. He wants to launch Q2 2015, but it feels at this pace it's at least a year away.

Still the continuous progress is impressive for a single person and the organic environments look fantastic, but the artificial ones need a ton of work.

I am wondering what the actual gameplay will be like though.

20. Re: honking their horn Dec 14, 2014, 12:10 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 06:46:
Also, I suspect that Tie Fighter accident scene video might be faked.

I know, right? WHITE stormtroopers flying a Tie Fighter? Totally fake!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 13, 2014, 13:00 jdreyer

It's funny that the other day the MPAA totally pissed Google off when Google was actually trying to help them.  

News Comments > Path of Exile PvP Update
3. Re: Path of Exile PvP Update Dec 13, 2014, 12:31 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 11:01:
Hrm, somewhat interesting, although PoE's disconnects and desyncs were so bad I don't know if I want to bother going back to try it. I can only imagine the amount of teleporting and lag-instakills that'll be going on.

That said, I haven't played PoE in months, maybe it has improved a bit.

Have you played it recently? I played it a month ago and had no issues, unlike the beta where I was frequently disconnected.

10069 Comments. 504 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo