Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8169 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 13:38 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 13:04:
mag wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 02:21:
You are hilarious.

Are you trying to win the Old Man Cutter award?

*goes to game website*

*tells everyone to stop playing games you damn kids*

Hoarding games that one will never finish doesn't make one a gamer. It makes one a fool that easily parts with his / her money. Quality over quantity. It reminds of a documentary about these ladies that are obsessed with coupons and will stock up with years worth of items, because they were discounted, yet unlikely to actually use them. Meanwhile, that money could have been invested or saved.

Honestly, while yes it's bad to buy something you'll never use because it's on sale, the cost of gaming per hour as entertainment is one of the least expensive hobbies there is. Most of these games we buy are between $2 and $10, and each one provides hours of play. And having the game in your library so you can play it when you want is worth the opportunity cost of a muffin or a cup of coffee. It's not like people are spending $1000s on skis or surfboards and never using them. And lastly, even if you never play the game, you're supporting an industry you love, making it robust and vibrant.

Also, if you own a TV, why isn't it on 24/7? If it's not on every waking minute, you're not getting "the maximum entertainment value out of it." Not finishing a game doesn't mean people aren't getting the max entertainment value out of it. I've played Oblivion twice, each time I only got 1/3 the way through. Yet each time I got 50 hours of entertainment out of it. Since I picked it up for $30, that comes out to about $0.33 per hour. Is that a bad bargain?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Comcast raises your electric bill by turning router into a public hotspot. Jul 1, 2014, 12:48 jdreyer

Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 12:25:
This is great! Beamer, Creston, and I were discussing this very thing a while back.

Well, except for the fact that it's only free if you're already a Comcast subscriber. If not, you have to pay.

News Comments > Space Run for Windows and OS X
5. Re: Space Run for Windows and OS X Jul 1, 2014, 12:45 jdreyer

Yeah, I've been interested in this since the first time I saw it. That being said, with the summer sails just finishing up, I have so much to play that I can't really justify getting it right now.  

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
28. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jul 1, 2014, 02:20 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 02:00:
Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 22:59:
No chance he doesn't control his own IP.

I think you seriously overestimate the amount of money the guy has. Unless he's going to make an indie game / small budget game, of course.

He was interviewed a couple of years ago by Aisha Tyler on her podcast. While he isn't a snob, but he's definitely got tons of cash, and is completely disconnected from the lives of normal people. Every time he told some story or described some problem, it was for some event that totally showed how much cash the guy has.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 30, 2014, 19:39 jdreyer

Got some trees to clear? You need this!

I thought all that I needed was this.

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
6. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 19:34 jdreyer

McTurbo wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 19:03:
Hmmmm.. did Oculus VR make another hire?

Hey, UT with OR would be a beautiful thang.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:26 jdreyer

@ 50Kyu:

You've got some gems in there:
- Brothers (must have a controller. don't play with kbd / mouse)
- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- BG2 (you knew that already)
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Also, I heard AC4 is great, but haven't played it. And I had a blast with Bulletstorm, although I know there are others who don't like it.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:19 jdreyer

Doom - Did You Know Gaming?

Holy shit, I have literally hundreds of hours in those games and didn't know most of that stuff (Except for Doom 3, of course). Very cool.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:10 jdreyer

I haven't had cable or broadcast TV for 10 years. Only Netflix and disks. And no, I don't pirate. If I don't have anything I want to watch, I game.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:04 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:26:

That is pretty cool. Pride here in MPLS is pretty large and very successful. My wife no longer works downtown at a restaurant so we forgot about it (it sometimes turns into a shit show - she is glad she doesn't work it) and cut across town - DOH! Got stuck for a bit in the parade traffic but wasn't that bad.

Have you ever had to work it?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 17:58 jdreyer

mch wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 10:06:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 09:55:
The swapper

Loved The Swapper! I didn't see it on the Steam sale...think I picked it up in a Humble Bundle a few months ago...

I picked it up over at GoG for $2 or something. Heard great things about it. Haven't played it yet though, Far Cry was also like $2 so I've been playing through that again. Rifle

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: More Crytek Rumors Jun 30, 2014, 17:55 jdreyer

Titus Balls wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:38:
Cool by the Rockstar guy to preserve the church building.

I live literally right next to it. The building is in good condition, and will serve well as a community centre.

Whoa, so when the Rockstar Prez comes to cut the ribbon, you'll be able to hit him up for a free copy of GTAV!

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2014, 17:53 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:51:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:38:
Cool by the Rockstar guy to preserve the church building.

Yeah, I thought that was awesome. Was afraid he was going to pull a Kevin Rose and demo it or something, but he wants to preserve it, and let folks use it.

Very cool thing to do.

I think he's just trying to atone for all the (virtual) sins he has perpetrated in GTA over the years.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2014, 17:52 jdreyer

Task wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 14:29:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 14:00:
Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 13:50:
Public opinion shouldn't weigh heavily on a decision like this. Public opinion is often misinformed, flat-out wrong, and just becomes a popularity contest.

Yes this. TV news is, imo, a lot of misleading propaganda. So are other news sources.

As far as U.S. media, yes. List of known propaganda news channel media and network circus (often taking info from the State Department and running it as fact): Fox, MSNBC (all BC), CNN, CBS, New York Times, Mother Jones, Time, Washington Post, and many more. (Over 60% of u.s. citizens have apparent distrust in corporatized media)

I wouldn't say that Fox runs State Department memos uncritically. That would violate their mandate to support their anti-gov't political wing: the Republican Party. For example, they've been the biggest BENGHAZI! cheerleaders. And Mother Jones, while unapologetically liberal, is hardly a government mouthpiece. So there are certainly degrees. I wouldn't lump all of those together.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 17:46 jdreyer

@Beam,

I also meant to mention I have the video settings at 1.5x on the tablet and 2.0x on the PC. These provide the higher resolution while also leaving the buttons big enough to be easily readable and clickable.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 17:40 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 16:44:

Yeah, I was going to say you couldn't be on Beginner if you didn't have heavy plasma and body armor by then.
Still, I did my first base assault last night and lost (but then just reloaded a save to do it correctly.) I immediately lost a unit to an exploding cyberdisc that I thought I was far enough from, then had a controlled guy in the starting area take three units out, forcing me to take him out. 5 guys down in 2 turns. I ended up with 2 soldiers against a cyberdisc that had some cover. One soldier had a laser rifle, the other a plasma pistol. I should have gone and found a dead body with a heavy laser but didn't. I thought the odds were with me.

They weren't.

Much like the new XCOM, I feel like I can trade combat stories for hours. Man, I love this damn game.

It sounds like you did a base assault with only 8 guys? I always take the full complement of 14 on all my missions (Skyranger holds 14 in total, or 10 + a HWP). Also, I suggest going into the settings and turning on both the Arrows and Time Units options (Options > Battlescape > Arrows and Time Units). This will show you the path you'll take, how many TUs, and will require a second click to confirm, reducing the likelihood of sending a soldier to the wrong location.

Yeah, OpenXCom is pretty amazing. I put off replaying the original XCom for years, due to its quirks and bugs, but this rewrite solves the vast majority of them, so I can concentrate on the fun aspects. I never expected it to hold up as well as it has, but I guess great gameplay never goes out of style!

Also, it validates my purchase of the XCom bundle a year or so ago. For a while I thought I bought something I'd never get any use out of!

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 16:36 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 13:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 13:39:
Jade Raymond: Some mobile games 'recycle 40 year-old game design'.

Well, they say that 40 is the new 20.

On my tablet currently I have Another World, XCom, Broken Sword, and Carmaggeddon, all games I actually had on my PC 20 years ago.

How does Carmaggeddon play?
I have an old Touchpad that I hate. I finally put Android on it over the weekend, solely because someone here (you?) mentioned OpenXcom was ported to Android.

The port has issues. Some interface errors, and frankly, it feels much harder to me than Xcom was. Before the end of the first month I was in a terror mission that had 4 or 5 cyberdiscs. My rifles were completely worthless against them. I feel as if larger ships start showing up sooner, too, and my interceptors stopped being able to catch up to anything by April. I put it down last night just as I started a terror mission against etherals, I believe also in April. Sectoids have already been doing mind-control against me, so tonight we'll see what havoc those etherals bring.
All of this on Beginner. In the original, which was bugged to Beginner, I feel as if I wasn't losing soldiers at nearly the rate I am now (probably averaging 4 or 5 of my 14 lost per mission.) On one hand I'm more thinking like Xcom 2012 and out of practice, on the other interface issues make me sloppy, but it still feels like it ramped up much, much faster.

Carmaggedon plays really well. It's a bit tricky using the onscreen controls, but I played a bunch of the maps and had a blast, unlocking a bunch of the cars. Alternatively you can steer using the accelerometer, steering the tablet like a steering wheel, but my arms get tired. In the end, you do pine for a controller though. I've seen it offered free at least three times, so it's worth a free DL for sure. Although the raison d'etre for owning a tablet is plane and train play, and Carmaggedon is just too over the top for that environment.

I agree that OpenXCom on the tablet is trickier than using the mouse, I suggest the PC version. Still it's usable and fun. As for the difficulty, I might have to agree. I am in July of my first year (on my PC game, my Android game is still in the first month) and had a terror mission of a dozen Ethereals and 3-4 sectoids I just couldn't get past. I had no armor, no psionic defense, and only laser rifles. Once I got down to two Sectoids, but with only two guys left, it just didn't happen. I had to let it go and take the hit from that country (France).

I did get the cyberdiscs terror mission early on, but had laser rifles already, and took them down after a dozen hits or so. Still, I've had about 50 soldier deaths in seven months, so you're going to lose guys. Did my first base assault and lost 11 of 14, but captured the base. Got massive cash from all the stuff I sold, so it was worth it. I have two more bases on the map, but am waiting until I have everyone in body armor before tackling those. This is on Experienced difficulty. Losing lots of guys, but having a blast, and recruiting new guys. This game is definitely more difficult that the new XCom: Enemy Unknown.

News Comments > Standalone DCS F-15C
7. Re: Standalone DCS F-15C Jun 30, 2014, 16:10 jdreyer

Thanks SMA. Just what I needed to know.  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail
25. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 16:03 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 14:40:
You can cancel a preorder, and if a game never reaches "finished" status, you get a refund.
That's not stopping any company from taking preorders, then releasing an unfinished game calling it "final." Then they keep the money anyway. If the company is not transparent about the development process, you'd never know it was in trouble.

With Early Access, I fully expect some projects that would otherwise not get released (ran out of funding, canceled, whatever) to just call their final version "Release Candidate" and call it a day.
True, but that has rarely happened. The few fly by night jerks that have tried it have been pretty quickly called out.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2014, 13:44 jdreyer

11% of U.S. Residents Approve of Comcast Merger.

Complaint: If you merge, you'll increase the number of markets in which you're a monopoly and there will be no competition or incentive for you to improve customer service.

Comcast Response: Our customer service is already so bad that it can't get any worse!

8169 Comments. 409 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo