Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11961 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 30, 2015, 16:11 jdreyer

PoEt is only number 9? What is wrong with British people?  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features
16. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 13:58 jdreyer

PC edition will support up to 4K resolution with antialiasing

It seems to me that 4K and antialiasing are redundant?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 13:57 jdreyer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:46:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 16:44:
OH. MY. GOD.

So back from 1999 to 2003, I did on-site high-speed Internet installs for one of Canada's big telecartels. This was when most PCs didn't have network cards so our job was to go on-site with a cable guy, install a NIC, provision the modem, install our software (which we never did cause it was buggy crap that broke machines) and make sure everything worked. We were paid piecemeal per successful installation. If we couldn't get them online, we didn't get anything and if the customer's computer failed during the install for any reason, the company always sided with the customer and left us to fix it on our dime, even though the EULA said we weren't responsible for system damage.

You wouldn't believe how many installations I did in places just like the one in that story and in some cases, way worse. Think marijuana grow ops, places where there was literally 5-6 inches of garbage covering every square inch of the floor, apartment buildings where people regularly took dumps in the elevators, houses in low income neighbourhoods that strangely had leather couches, big screen TVs and pimped out Escalades in the driveway. At one install, I was the third tech as the previous two had walked away because the nearly 70 year old male customer was grabbing their asses while they worked (all the techs were male.) At another, I was in one of those dealer houses and the customer had a bunch of his "boys" surround my car outside as "protection" (which actually meant "You better not fuck this up or something will happen to your ride.") At two others, we saw young kids being forced to live in such squalor, we ended up calling the Children's Aid Society when we left.

In all these cases, we had to try to complete the work because not only would we not get paid if we walked away but when the customers inevitably complained, we would always get reprimanded for it. We were independent contractors and could be let go for any reason and the company was more concerned about successful numbers, both for investors and because this is when all the big telecartels were in a customer gain war so they wanted every install they could get. We actually walked away from the "garbage house" I mentioned above and we were strongly advised to go back and get the job done, even if it meant going in with garbage bags taped around our shoes. Those who refused either ended up with no calls for a few days or would get their calls suddenly staggered all across the city, often having to go back and forth multiple times a day (did I mention we paid all our own car expenses too?) Yeah, I really don't miss that place.

Disgusting customers are bad enough, but when the company treats you like shit too, that's the worst.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2015, 13:44 jdreyer

Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart on 'Daily Show.'

Huh, interesting choice. I wonder if the plan for years was for John Oliver to take over and when he got pinched, they said "We still need a foreigner to run The Daily Show!" Stewart has been good at spotting and nurturing amazing talent on his show, but he has had his failures (looking at you, Olivia Munn). I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 30, 2015, 13:25 jdreyer

Zynga investors can sue FarmVille creator for alleged IPO fraud, judge says.

EA gets a lot of deserved hate, but Zynga is even more evil IMO.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2015, 13:21 jdreyer

Opting Out of AT&T's 'Gigapower' Snooping is Comically Expensive.

Your monopoly ISP at work for you!

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
32. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 13:18 jdreyer

Illumin wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:05:
Is this even news anymore? Its like a teen telling you they got their 77th pay check. Your proud of them on their first one, hell maybe even their 2nd one. But by the time their 77th one comes around your like big deal.
And yet this is by far the most commented thread on Blues today. If you want these posts to go away, you gotta stop feeding the beast.

Live long, and prosper.

31. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 13:14 jdreyer

Is the Vanguard an entirely new ship, or a new version of an existing one? I don't remember seeing it before, so I'm leaning toward the former.  

Live long, and prosper.

30. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 13:14 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 11:50:
InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:26:
Nah, it's a dis on Activision. Basically The Chairman (awesome sounding nick!) is showing Bobby K how its done! Fuck you Bobby K, I dont even have to release a single game to make millions, muahahahahaha! Now go churn out a billion dollar budget game a year while I make a million a week with some concept art! Ka Ching!

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some truth to this on some level.. maybe not activision per se - but all these "million dollar" updates really smack of desperation and the shrill tooting of ones own horn

Meh, I'm sure that's part of it, but he also claimed full transparency for the game development.

Live long, and prosper.

13. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 13:05 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:04:
necrosis wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:01:
Why do they even bother?

Yeah, I am a little puzzled myself. This PC release has been a clusterfuck from the beginning.

They're doing it because they want to prove that PC gamers will be respectful toward an exploitative game of scantily clad women beating each other up by not make nude skins of said models. Because Rule 34 does not exist.

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 13:02 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:35:
nin wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:16:
I always think of Pete Burns when I see the Dead or Alive games. And not "extra creepy post 2000 good lord what have you done to your face Pete?", but more like "late 80s, Boy George knock off" look...

"You Spin me Right Round baby Right round"...

Dead or Alive was actually a decent pop band, way better than that Culture Club trash, I guess it helped that their music was fucking hilarious most of the time...

JUST LEAVE BOY GEORGE ALONE!!!11

Live long, and prosper.

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 06:04 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 04:03:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 16:44:
....when I was but a youngster, I used to supplement my income...

...my car (a Porsche 928S)...

Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that story.
Meh, my buddy from HS, his first job was in IT and he drove a Porsche 924 that his dad had gotten for him back when we were seniors.

Live long, and prosper.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2015, 18:22 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 15:06:
Sound system bass shreds ear drums!...

Seriously though, who would even want that? Maybe Dr. Evil could use it as an earthquake dooms day device or something.

I think the most amazing thing is that they fit 3 alternators under the hood.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 16:44 jdreyer

OH. MY. GOD.

From the article (not gonna quote since it's long and will be hard to read):

Several years back when I was but a youngster, I used to supplement my income by doing side jobs fixing and upgrading peoples computers. There was this lady I met sort of as an acquaintance of an acquaintance type thing. She said her computer wasn't working very well and neither was her scanner. She was wondering if I could take a look at it.

I got her address on an a bright Sat. morning I drove to the address, which turned out to be a very low income area which was known for prostitution and drugs. I found the address, a small paint peeled house and was met by a young guy with bright red hair and a big smile. I went into the home and was immediately taken aback by the piles of dirty laundry and trash in what appeared to be every room. The computer was in the kitchen area in a corner. I immediately noticed the food encrusted dirty dishes piled high and the floor was a weird shade of brown. I also noticed movement on the walls and then floor. It was roaching that were literally crawling around all over everything in broad daylight.

My instinct was to just run but my twisted sense of responsibility made me stay. I mean the lady was just as nice and polite as you could imagine. Her son was just as cordial and so was her daughter. There were even to small filthy little children sitting next to a mangy dog on the floor. The whole family was a sweet as could be and completely oblivious to the absolutely disgusting and deplorable state of their home and lives.

I made a quick analysis and troubleshooting holding my feet of the floor afraid roaches would crawl up my leg and told the lady I had to take her computer to my shop to get a better idea of what was the problem. I fortunately had trash bags in my car (a Porsche 928S) and put her computer in a bag, tied it tight and took it home.

When I got home I grabbed a can of RAID for roaches and dumped half a can in the bag and left it outside in the hot sun for several hours. After about 3 hours I figured whatever was in there should be dead. Even after 3 hours I still had to stomp on a couple of roaches that somehow survived. I proceeded to take the computer apart outside. I took the entire thing apart and the reason it was failing was the power supply was filled with cockroach feces and the floppy drive was stuffed with roaches that had been caught and squashed from the movement of the drive. I took the PS apart as well as the floppy drive.

I cleaned it all out and tested and surprisingly once free of roach crap and roach carcasses, it worked fine. I took it back and told them it should be working fine now and that it was just full or roaches. I figured it wouldn't be long before it was messed up again and I promised myself not to ever go see them again.

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 16:24 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 13:18:
I told a woman that she needed to plug in her monitor to the wall as the cleaning people had accidentally pulled it out. She told me that "it is not in her job description to plug things in." I had to get a maintenance person to drive over 40 miles to plug the damn thing into a wall outlet.

I would have told her, "Well then, Einstein, don't expect your monitor to work. >click<"

Dogbert's tech support at it's best.

Best one so far:

I once witnessed a co-worker use Bing to find Google to do a search. She was on the Support team.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2015, 16:04 jdreyer

Tennessee sues the FCC to stop city-run internet.

Because freedumb. Tennessee, the best government corporations can buy.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 29, 2015, 16:02 jdreyer

TheEmissary wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 13:06:
I wouldn't exactly call using VPN/Proxies to access a subscription service your paying monthly for piracy. It isn't exactly legal to circumvent the geoblocking but its a bit disingenuous to call it piracy.

The irony of it is that by pushing Netflix to go after VPN users they're actually pushing people from using a paying service to piracy.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 29, 2015, 15:59 jdreyer

I just unplug my devices. Some of them show 40 watts on the KillaWatt on "off" mode.  

Live long, and prosper.

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 15:12 jdreyer

Early adopter: Microsoft’s Windows 10 will support up to 8K displays.

Yes, but will you be able to see or read anything?

Live long, and prosper.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2015, 01:08 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 21:55:
As much as I hate the term, it is a "slippery slope" problem. People certainly threaten violence without any intention of ever carrying it out. And I don't have much confidence in psychiatry, it is one step above voodoo as far as I am concerned, about equal with economics.

Even if you made some specific exception in the law for commercial pilots -- it would just keep the pilots from ever seeking help. So, a problem that might be easily treatable goes untreated. I'm not sure there is a reasonable, valid solution.

Yeah, it would be tricky. I'm on the fence, I see the slippery slope problem. I'm definitely not suggesting access to medical records for everyone, but for a few specific occupations, regular mental health checks and perhaps access to medical records could help people stay mentally healthy while protecting lives of passengers, patients, etc.

To Bob's point, access to mental health treatment is huge not just for the homeless (the vast majority of whom are mentally ill) but for everyone. Even on my excellent corporate healthcare plan, mental health is only covered 50% while everything else is 90%. We need to make it more affordable and accessible. Most of the recent mass shooters have had untreated mental health issues.

Live long, and prosper.

11961 Comments. 599 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo