Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12870 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > EITR Announced
9. Re: EITR Announced Jun 16, 2015, 21:09 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 18:14:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:02:
siapnar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:10:
Cutter's already spoken for us guys! No need to post

I happen to agree with him. So tired of 8-bit.

this is not 8bit

Fine, it's 16 bit pixel art. You know what I mean.

And they're not even maximizing their color palette. Total Annihilation is 16-bit, but looks almost photo realistic. These guys are dialing the color range way back so it looks 8-bit, even if they're making it in 16.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlezone Return Plans
18. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 21:00 jdreyer

[url=][/url]
Osc8r wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 18:44:
This is NOT the battlezone remake i was looking for

This is not your father's Battlezone, but it might be your grandfather's.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
6. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 17:17 jdreyer

walrus1 wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 16:46:
Does anyone really give a shit if their GPU is soft to the touch? Do people really fondle their cards?

Yeah, that press release is full of all sorts of weird phrases.
"Making beautiful memory"
"Bright lights. Big Intensity."
"Enjoy the View."
"Small Size. Giant Impact."

They need a new marketing copywriter, that was rough.

All that aside, how well does it work? Will the Fury or Fury X even, be faster than the 980 ti?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 17:03 jdreyer

@ Creston

1. We have a natural desire for things like salt, sugar, fat, etc. However, you can, as a culture, either encourage or discourage behaviors. Japan has access to all the same fast foods we do, but as a culture they encourage eating smaller portions and traditional lighter foods. It's part of the reason they're obesity rates are much lower.

Humans are fairly malleable, especially children. Look at this study about Nazi indoctrination. We have a genetic propensity to view those differently than us as competition. Thus, racism. However, encouraging or discouraging these tendencies will control how much they manifest. Ditto for our eating habits.

2. Of course you can tax them. There are many ways to accomplish it. For example you set the ingredient amounts by % and any product that falls within them is taxed. And if it's law, the food companies can sue all they want. They'll lose. Just like the ISPs did. Just like tobacco companies did. Even though I think this is a powerful tool in the fight against obesity, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime due to lobbying. Before it even gets to the bill stage, the lobbyists will pay off a bunch of politicians to prevent it.

3. Sure, end sales tax on fruits & veggies, but it's not enough. Many states already do this. They're still too expensive. Subsidies are a tool that can be used for good or bad. Strategic subsidies to encourage wind and solar have resulted in huge gains in those industries. I agree you have to be careful, but I wouldn't throw away my power drill because my son put a bunch of holes in the wall when I wasn't looking.

4. You need a multipronged approach. There's no magic bullet. Campaigns remind and educate people regularly to eat and exercise regularly. Taxes on junk food dissuade them. Advertising and cost control are powerful tools. Look at how smoking, one of the most addictive habits, has declined over the decades in the USA. It was accomplished with a ban on most ads, a huge and ongoing non-smoking campaign, and a massive tax increase. The same can be accomplished for non-nutritional caloric products. Ding them on insurance too, if you can find a fair way of doing it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 16:39 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:36:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:25:
I've been holding off buying a PS4 and this show has pretty much shattered that resolve. FF7 Remake? I can't believe they're actually doing it. That was one big white whale they just revealed, do I dare revive the long dead dream of Chrono 3?

I seriously got a little emotional watching that cat/dog/possum thing in Last Guardian.

Yeah, that was amazing. I don't think that's a trailer either. I think that's game play. No interface, just you and the dog/eagle thing. I got a big Brothers vibe from it, even though I know it's been in development longer. A shame it's PS4 exclusive.

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 16:35 jdreyer

Parias wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 16:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:43:
Yeah, this is disappointing. I get what they're going for, but it's not working for me at all.

Has their every been a game that followed up on the hybrid FPS/RTS model that the late 90s Battlezones implemented so well? There have been tower defense versions, like Orcs Must Die, but nothing with the kind of open world freedom that 1998 Battlezone had.

You want Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. Narrated by Tom Baker, no less!

Thanks! I see it's on GoG.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer
18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 15:42 jdreyer

Fion wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:57:
So why are there no space missions when you can obviously fly Tie Fighters and X-Wings?

Oh yea.. cause EA wants you to pay extra for that.

Make me wonder, has there ever been a space game made with the frostbite engine?

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 15:39 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:08:
Right there with you guys. I clicked on the trailer link with stars shining in my eyes. Instead of moonbases and cold war hovertanks I get the Lawnmower Man?

Hahaha. Perfect encapsulation.

Were there any games made after Battlezone '98 that imitated that game play?

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 15:37 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:36:
Blue wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 12:02:
sauron wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:57:
Jeepers, 195 and 166 lb for the average US male and female adult respectively - that's really heavy and honestly carries a lot of health risks. America needs to go on a diet!

If that is accurate it means that I weigh less than the average American woman even though I am taller than the average American man.

I'm a little over 6'3" and I weigh 223. Granted, I have a bit of extra material around the waist, but I also work out a lot and I'm twice as wide as most of my friends (shoulder and frame wise). I get grief from my doctor about being obese depsite the fact that BMI doesn't take build size into consideration, just weight and height. If I was 6'3"with a 50 inch waist and a pudding belly Icould see it, but I'm not.

Are people in the US fatter than they used to be? Yes, but we need to take into account other factors and BMI needs some serious updating.

BMI is quick and dirty, but flawed as you point out. Body fat % is much more accurate. Do you know yours? I run and weight train a several hours a week but at 5'10/180, I could lose a few pounds. I would look and feel a lot better at 160.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 15:32 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:57:
Jeepers, 195 and 166 lb for the average US male and female adult respectively - that's really heavy and honestly carries a lot of health risks. America needs to go on a diet!

America needs a multi-pronged approach to this.

1. The government needs to run a massive ongoing campaign promoting healthier living of at least $1B annually. Right now the gov't spends $10M to the food industry's $10B (yes, 1000x more). And the food industry isn't advertising broccoli.

2. Non-nutritional caloric products like chips, soda, and candy need sin taxes and advertising restrictions, just like alcohol and tobacco. They're just as dangerous, both in terms of health effects and dependency.

3. Healthier foods like fruits and vegetables need to be subsidized with these funds, especially for the poor, for whom a package of Oreos costs 10x less than fresh fruit on a per calorie basis. The poor have the greatest incidence of preventable disease.

4. End the stupid subsidies on sugar and corn.

Yes, personal responsibility is important. Let's make it easier for people by not bombarding them with Coke ads, and making that Snickers bar much less financially attractive than an apple.

I'm sure there's something I'm leaving out, but this is a start. It will be hard though given the power of the lobbyists.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 14:54 jdreyer

1. Can FF VII work as a dark and gritty remake? Part of it's charm was the cuteness factor.

2. Will it have chocobos?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Solus Project Announced
3. Re: The Solus Project Announced Jun 16, 2015, 14:43 jdreyer

That looks pretty cool. I like the idea of SP exploration.

I never played The Ball. I think it's free isn't it? Here's a video. Looks similar to what we just watched.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Multiplayer Trailer
5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Multiplayer Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 14:37 jdreyer

It looked pretty bog standard. There were a few "futuristic" things added to spice up gameplay, but it didn't really look that different from Advanced Warfare.

Also, did they gib somebody at around 0:55? Is that a thing in CoD?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
16. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 14:33 jdreyer

Damn this looks fun. They're not only creating a sequel, but adding tons of new game play options. My wallet is cringing at all the gaming goodness coming out of this E3.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
14. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 14:20 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:26:
It looks really good, but it also looks like there will be some really cheap/cheesy deaths. Ranged tongue attack to insta-kill from the snake alien? Even more random enemy reinforcements than the first game, and they get first shot?

I'll still get it of course, just saying, there will be some raging.

Meh, they're still tweaking it. Also, X-Com is all about losing your guys.

Live long, and prosper.

14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 14:12 jdreyer

Also, they showed split screen coop. Man, I hope that comes to PC and not just the console versions. Me an' th' boy would have a blast with that.

I'm loving that concussion grenade effect. It's like the one out of AotC.

Speaking of which where's all the new trilogy stuff? I want to toast some clankers! If there's no new trilogy, I'm not buying it! *ducks* I kid of course, but I do love some of the vehicles from the new trilogy like the lander and the AT-TE. They'll probably put that out in a couple of years I guess.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2015, 14:17.

Live long, and prosper.

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 14:11 jdreyer

Fuck EA with a rusty nail. Damn, this looks fun. And those environments are gorgeous. I just know they're going to monetize the fucking shit out of it though. The bean counters over there are just fapping away to these trailers imagining the 100s of millions that are going to roll in.

As someone who played a ton of the CoD:MW2 coop, this is right up my alley. Like the BF games before, hoping for a beta to check this out, see if I actually want to drop $60+ on this.

Live long, and prosper.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 14:08 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:05:
Hrm, this trailer is definitely less impressive than the ealier one.

Surely that's just an alpha/beta stage choice, being able to destroy even small Walkers with a pistol? Seems like a bad choice for the game long term.

Also, this is one of the coop vs bots modes, so it explains why the 2 rebels were owning so easily. Still, grab some cover, maybe.

Well, everyone knows that stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of a bantha.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > EITR Announced
6. Re: EITR Announced Jun 16, 2015, 14:02 jdreyer

siapnar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:10:
Cutter's already spoken for us guys! No need to post

I happen to agree with him. So tired of 8-bit.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
28. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 13:59 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 10:10:
Looks appalling. What's with the 2004 era graphics?

You get what you pay for. Amazing graphics cost 10s of millions of dollars.

Live long, and prosper.

12870 Comments. 644 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo