Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9830 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $59M
36. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 30, 2014, 01:09 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 15:15:
Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:46:
Defense Grid 2: How Not To Make A Sequel To A Beloved Game.
Feel your pain there. The story and voice acting is absolutely terrible. I normally don't care about stories in games like this but this one is so bad it distracts me.

The voice acting is only there for the story levels. It doesn't play for the cool levels like Frozen Core or Out of Bullets. I didn't think the voice acting was too bad, but nothing special. The dialog as written was pretty awful though, when the AIs were off their meds.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen at $59M
35. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 30, 2014, 01:05 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:39:
Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:32:
the FPS module isn’t an aside… it’s a fully featured game in and of itself

Great...? I know that when everyone was clamoring for more space games, what they all REALLY meant was "There aren't enough FPS games out there, we need them IN our space games too!"

I'm now officially giving you an internet. Even though you keep pissing me off in Defense Grid 2.

Isn't Cres the DG savant? Good luck with that Slash.

I've finished the campaign in DG2, but haven't tried maxing any of my scores yet.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 30, 2014, 01:02 jdreyer

Should be titled, "Idiot in car vs. gate"

I hope the woman didn't receive any permanent injuries from the idiot.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 30, 2014, 00:35 jdreyer

MPAA, movie theaters announce “zero tolerance” policy against wearables.

I guess? It seems that anyone who can afford $1000 Google Glass isn't the type to pirate movies.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 29, 2014, 22:50 jdreyer

MegaBots- Live-Action Giant Robot Combat by MegaBots, Inc. — Kickstarter.

Heh, mech paintball. It sounds cool, but making actual walking bots is a pretty difficult thing to do. From the KS vid, "Making robots is incredibly expensive, renting a stadium is incredibly expensive." I agree, a lot more expensive than the $1.8M you're asking for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2014, 20:08 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 18:32:
i think DC is stronger than people realize. they have the two greatest IPs in comics - batman and superman. and if they do the movies right - with all the realism and psychological depth that nolan put into it, they can be far superior to the hokey mess that marvel's been putting out.

While I find Marvel superheroes more interesting in general, I think that whether or not the DC movies are good or not depends on the storytelling they do. Get a good script, hone it, perfect it, and everything else should fall into place. Hollywood has shown it competent at getting good actors and building great set pieces for these films, they tend to fall down on the stories they tell. Marvel seems to have gotten that figured out for the most part, DC has yet to show they do.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2014, 20:03 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 17:58:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 15:40:
Here's the DC movie schedule.

I'm not confident on the DC movies, but if they avoid shakycam they have a shot with me. The Flash TV show is great, and I'm the one guy who liked the last Green Lantern movie.

I feel like Batman and Superman have been done to death though - looking more forward to the rest of them.

I liked GL too.

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
32. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 19:43 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 18:19:
ea is one of the if not the worst possible examples of a corporation, in every regard. You choose to support them with your money and words, then you are part of the problem, not those of us who try to stand against them.

It's was just about 10 years ago, they were treating employees like slave labor and many of us stood up against them. About 8 years ago, riccitiello hostility overthrew bioware. He quit ea knowing bioware would never sell direct to ea to start a speculative finical company. Infused them with cash, then sold the markers to ea behind bioware's back and got his old job back. It would take hours if not days to list all of the games shipped broken.

If you register and install and download games for free, you're pulling resources from them while giving nothing in return. How does that not further your goals of bringing down EA?

31. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 19:40 jdreyer

Task wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 15:35:
Is this some sort of anti-establishment/corporatism game? Sounds right up my alley.

Yeah, shocking that EA would be offering it for free and tacitly encouraging people to play it.

30. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 19:38 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 13:04:
I can't even remember how I got through it, way back when on the floppy/CD version... I don't remember the controls being this rough.

You were younger then, and free.

29. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 19:34 jdreyer

jomisab wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:24:
I don't understand either. What are the downsides to just having an Origin account?

They are Crusaders with No Remorse.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2014, 15:40 jdreyer

Here's the DC movie schedule.

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25th, 2016
Suicide Squad – August 5th, 2016
Wonder Woman - June 23rd, 2017
Justice League - November 17th, 2017
The Flash - March 23rd, 2018
Aquaman - July 27th, 2018
Shazam - April 5th, 2019
Justice League 2 - June 14th, 2019
Cyborg - April 3rd, 2020
Green Lantern - June 19th, 2020

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 29, 2014, 15:34 jdreyer

Capcom Revenue and Profit Falls Due to Lack Of New Games…

We need money! Quick, release another iteration of Street Fighter IV!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 12:29:
NKD wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:44:
That Verizon thing is so hilariously dystopian.

Start a news site, but then stipulate that you cannot write anything AT ALL about a subject that your company is wrong on. It's genius because they are going to spin it like "Well, we have an inherent interest in those stories, so we ban them to avoid conflict of interest." Except that their interest in those stories is making them disappear or downplaying their importance, so avoiding them entirely is in fact perpetuating that conflict of interest.

The Verge tore it apart. It was vicious.
Sadly, the comments were often defending Verizon by saying "Comcast invests in you," ignoring the difference between investing and owning/controlling.

Heh, from the Verge article:

Verizon is backing a publication called Sugarstring that covers technology, culture, and entertainment. All of the advertisements on Sugarstring are for Verizon. The color palette — red, everywhere — screams Verizon. Its about page, which says "Sugarstring publishes thoughtful tech-focused stories that track humanity's climb towards the new next" appears to have been written by a corporate robot employed by Verizon. Every page brandishes a badge to let you know that the content you have just consumed has been PRESENTED BY VERIZON. There's just two things Verizon won't be presenting, which happen to be two of the biggest stories in the world right now: stories about how Verizon is fucking over America.

That about covers it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 09:23:
theglaze wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:33:
What I was getting at is mobile smart phones are becoming a necessity for modern day living in a 1st nation metropolis, if they aren't already.

...what? No, no they aren't. They're still nothing more than a convenience, there is absolutely nothing "necessary" about them. You can absolutely live your life in a "1st nation metropolis" without one. In fact, one might actually find that they're engaging more with the things that "1st nation metropolis" offers instead of constantly staring down at a phone screen like an idiot.

I accidentally dropped my aging S3, shattering the display to the point where it became unusable. The replacement phone I wanted was out of stock and would take two weeks to get in. Those turned out to be a very interesting, life altering two weeks. I found that I was less stressed and that I spent more time enjoying life in general. Everything that needed to get done was completed on-time, as usual, but I wasn't wasting time by immediately responding to emails that could wait until I got back in to the office and I wasn't distracted by texts or phone calls.

This weird mentality that we've been sold on where we always have to be connected because it's somehow "social" is, in my opinion, actually making people less socially capable in general. Unless you choose to actively make it so, no device is necessary to your life. Well, unless you're on dialysis, have a pacemaker or some other medical, life sustaining device.

Just...stop. You're making too much sense.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera at $4.75M
9. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera at $4.75M Oct 29, 2014, 14:39 jdreyer

Huh, I didn't know they were still receiving funding. How are they doing it? Paypal link on their website or something?  

News Comments > New Elite: Dangerous Beta
21. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 03:23 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 23:47:

That's great news, excellent design decision by those guys.

I will get this eventually, although I'm going to have to break down and buy a halfway decent joystick/throttle combo at some point.

For something that won't break the bank, but should provide you with all the control you need for a good experience, I recommend the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. One thing that's not evident from Amazon's photos is that the throttle and stick separate into two separate units if you want them further apart. I haven't gotten E:D yet, but Halfelf has, and he just got one of these sticks, so you might want to check with him.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015
20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015 Oct 29, 2014, 02:42 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 00:37:
not to worry guys. i know a friend of a friend who's working on it. i should get early access at some point and report back.

*waits with bated breath*
*passes out from lack of air* Dead

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015
19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015 Oct 29, 2014, 02:40 jdreyer

siapnar wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 23:31:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:45:
This is just depressing. Given how both BF3 and 4 have turned out, I'm not excited at all for Battlefront. And I should be. Battlefront 2 was tons of fun. But just like Battlefield 2 before it, Battlefront 2 will be the last great game in this franchise.
Come on dude, don't discount it so early

I'm not even talking about the buggy mess that was the launch of BF 4. I'm talking about basic design decisions:
- No ability to mod the game
- No offline mode or coop mode vs. bots

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 28, 2014, 21:55 jdreyer

The rocket story over at Raw Story has this quote:

“These are very old engines (built in the 1960s and ’70s) that are refurbished,” Plait stated. “While it’s not known if these were the cause of the explosion, they’re an obvious bet and I’m sure will be the primary suspect in the investigation.”

That kind of backs up my observation of an explosion at the bottom. I bet one of the fuel feeder lines ruptured and the heat ignited the loose fuel, taking out one or more of the engines. After that it was adios muchachos.

9830 Comments. 492 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo