Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11277 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
24. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 21:18 jdreyer

Grokk wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 20:47:
This is all great, but it's not going to help make Minecraft run any better is it?

Seriously though, buying a native 1440p 27" monitor was the best and worst thing I've ever done.
I gave up tinkering and shit long ago, so I don't have the time or patience to piss about with SLI/X-Fire anymore. I just want something that can feed a decent framerate to the monitor, and for developers to get rid of all the speed blur shit and the like.

Dropping half a $G on a card should let me play last years games at a decent rate, one would think.

With a 1440P monitor, you can probably turn off anti-aliasing to improve frame rate and not notice the jaggies.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2015, 20:00 jdreyer

Okay, that was trippy...  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2015, 19:58 jdreyer

Amazon orders full season of Philip K. Dick’s Man in the High Castle. I'm interested to see this. The premise is interesting and I heard that the pilot was good.  

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 19:56 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 19:36:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 19:32:
nin wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 18:58:
Pardon my skepticism...

But hey, more power to them, if true...

Remember this promise of how much better DX10 would make things look? Yeah, here's how that turned out.

I mean, this is Brad Wardell, he has no reason to pander to Microsoft.

But yes, I imagine this is something using a feature DX11 either doesn't support or barely supports. Much like how some things got much faster with DX7 due to hardware T&L, though I'd wager that we're at the point that there are no necessary features like hardware T&L was.

The "lens effect" is what stands out to me. Something that DX can make much faster, but something I don't tend to care about.

Yeah, good point. And you're probably right, it's probably a very specific set of functionality that is done in software in DX11 that runs in hardware in DX12. That being said, Brad (or someone in his company) was also trumpeting the vast perf improvements for Mantle, which turned out to be much less pronounced in real world performance. So here's your grain of salt: .

Live long, and prosper.

9. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 19:32 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 18:58:
Pardon my skepticism...

But hey, more power to them, if true...

Remember this promise of how much better DX10 would make things look? Yeah, here's how that turned out.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2015, 17:08 jdreyer

Tim1_2 wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:57:
Why is it that it's always the little shitdisturbing dogs that win the Westminster Dog Show? When was the last time a Lab or something like that won?

Edit: Did my own research.

A Newfoundland won in 2004, but other than that it's pretty much always a smaller breed.

I much prefer working dog trials, like this sheep dog championship. Athleticism, intelligence, training, and practicality FTW. It's just spectacular to watch a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd at the pinnacle of their abilities.

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2015, 16:59 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 13:59:
Have you ever communicated with your 'pet' so well that you were able to ask it, "Do you wish to be a pet or be free?" and got an answer that is 100% convincing?

No dog would ever choose to be "free" if they live in a good home. They're domesticated, part of your pack, and the human is the alpha (usually). At this point, they're basically genetically programmed to stay. Also, feral dogs are malnourished, diseased, and live short lives. If you're keeping a wild animal in a small cage, that's a different story, but even then, if the wild animal has de-acclimated from the wild, returning them will be a death sentence. Better to simply provide it better living conditions.

I seem to remember you and I having this same conversation about dolphins or something a year or so ago. I get what you're saying, but it's not something you can apply universally.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2015, 16:50 jdreyer

Meh, it's pretty easy to ignore the crap on Ars, and just read the good stuff. Like this.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2015, 16:47 jdreyer

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 15:12:
I always get a good laugh out of those interview videos. The Nvidia 970 one was hilarious.

I had seen the Nvidia one. I laughed a lot, but I knew this one would be the same. So I didn't expect it to be as funny the second time.

Somehow I laughed even more at this one. I laughed until I had tears and my stomach hurt (did too many crunches and leg lifts yesterday). Well written, and perfectly timed.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 18, 2015, 12:56 jdreyer

If I had a nickel for every online attack Japan got, I'd be a billionaire.  

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2015, 12:55 jdreyer

When Grandmasters Blunder

The word "genius" seems insufficient to describe current chess champion Magnus Carlsen. Not only did he make an extremely rare blunder, but then he won the game anyway. I remember reading an article about him playing 12 games of chess simultaneously without looking at any of the game boards. Of course, he won them all.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2015, 12:34 jdreyer

Yeah, if I made more money I would definitely own this. Full Wintel in a tablet. That's pretty awesome.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2015, 12:30 jdreyer

Blue Estate Now Available for Xbox One.

Blue,

If you're going to go to the trouble to make your own game, you should it at least deserves it's own story at the top of your own site.

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2015, 02:32 jdreyer

Also, goes without saying, but John Oliver is a genius.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2015, 02:31 jdreyer

Humble Square Enix Bundle 2 on Humble Bundle.

That's a pretty sweet bundle if you don't have those already.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 18, 2015, 02:25 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 23:17:
don't listen to a word from this guy, Mark Kern is a swindler. He ran Red5 studios into the ground with co-workers saying he'd leave on vacation for 3 weeks, come back and just throw out everything that everyone would be doing to change directions. also he was often drunk and doing blow. which isn't a point against him, just explains his erratic behaviour.

he's like a boorish american version of Molyneaux, he just loves talking in circles and is in love with the sound of his own voice, but is incredibly narcissistic and doesn't have the social skills to manage a studio to actually accomplish anything.

Oh, yeah, this was the Firefall game. Remember that game that was in development for seven years? This was the guy that thought it was more important to build a $2M Firefall bus than spend the money to build the game.

Live long, and prosper.

3. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2015, 02:21 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 23:02:
What exactly would those small countries have to lose by ignoring the tobacco companies to begin with? Trade sanctions? Yeah, and what country is going to want the global attention on them for being the dicks that sanction a country on behalf of the tobacco industry? And are these tobacco farmers soulless? Anything for a dollar?

Yeah, I'm not sure why a country can't make tobacco the equivalent of a class 1 narcotic, given that studies have shown nicotine is as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Then just ban it. If the tobacco companies complain, well, SCIENCE.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2015, 01:41 jdreyer

Facebook still suspending Native Americans over 'real name' policy.

And yet Long Duck Dong still has a FB page.

(Yes, I realize he's a movie character from 16 Candles. Makes even less sense that the page exists.)

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 17, 2015, 21:13 jdreyer

Hey, to be a dick at 14, but come to your senses at 16 that your sociopathic behavior is wrong, then try to make up for it by helping people be more secure, I think that's a nice character arc. I was still at dick at 16.

And there's some good info in there on how to avoid swatting.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Pollen Warning
3. Re: Pollen Warning Feb 17, 2015, 21:09 jdreyer

Nice design and world-building. What's the gameplay consist of?  

Live long, and prosper.

11277 Comments. 564 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo