Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 14668 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2015, 13:28 jdreyer

Why Wine Snobs Are Faking It.

I read this study years ago to discover that wine "experts" are faking it.

Here's how the research went down. First, Brochet gave 27 male and 27 female oenology students a glass of red and a glass of white wine and asked them to describe the flavor of each. The students described the white with terms like "floral," "honey," "peach," and "lemon." The red elicited descriptions of "raspberry," "cherry," "cedar," and "chicory."

A week later, the students were invited back for another tasting session. Brochet again offered them a glass of red wine and a glass of white. But he deceived them. The two wines were actually the same white wine as before, but one was dyed with tasteless red food coloring. The white wine (W) was described similarly to how it was described in the first tasting. The white wine dyed red (RW), however, was described with the same terms commonly ascribed to a red wine.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2015, 13:14 jdreyer

Nucas wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 12:34:
it does a lot of dumb shit but no more or less than the originals did.

People keep saying this, and it's totally untrue. In ANH, everything happens for a reason driven by character motivations. There are very few convenient coincidences. The story is much more cohesive. In TFA, the plot moves forward because it must, and characters seem secondary to that. Convenient coincidences abound to move the plot forward. Compare a few random examples:

- Luke leaves Tatooine because his home is destroyed and his uncle-father is dead, killed by the Empire.
- (Spoilers)Finn leaves the stormtroopers because he saw some nameless trooper die and got blood on him?

- Luke, Leia, and Han escape the Death Star because the Empire wants to track them to the Rebel base.
- (Spoilers) Poe and Finn escape Ren's Star Destroyer because the plot calls for it

- R2 falls into Luke's hands because it's trying to get to Obi Wan, who lives near Luke (for reasons Obi Wan reveals to Luke later in the movie), and whom Leia was trying to contact.
- BB8 falls into Rey's hands because the plot calls for it.

- Ben gives Luke the lightsaber, which he had because they were Jedi buddies and he kept it after Luke's father was "killed."
- Maz gives Rey the lightsaber because it "called" to her, and which Maz had for no explained reason.

- Luke is nearly destroyed by Vader in the climactic battle of ANH, and must be rescued by Han Solo. He won't be strong or well-trained enough to defeat him until the end of RotJ, years later.
- Rey defeats Kylo Ren a day after discovering her force powers.

And don't even get me started about R2 waking up in TFA...

A lot of thought went into the hero's journey of ANH to make it cohesive. I feel like much less thought went into the story for TFA, even while some things are improved over the original film (Rey's life on Jakku is much more fully realized than Luke's on Tatooine, for example). I think this is emblematic of film making since 2000 in general: story takes a back seat to FX and spectacle. And Abrams embodies this ethos: MI3, Star Trek, Into Darkness, and now TFA are all big on action and spectacle, and weak on story.

I'm heartened that Rian Johnson is doing the next film.

"The Force Awakens" director will serve as executive producer on the next movie, "Episode VIII," but is passing the director's torch to Rian Johnson ("Looper"), who also penned the script.

That script is to blame for Abrams' regret, Greg Grunberg, an actor and Abrams' lifelong friend, told the Washington Post. "He read it and said something he never, ever says," Grunberg said. Apparently the script is "so good" Abrams wished he had written it.

Johnson has made three excellent movies, each of which he wrote himself, so I have some hope the trend will continue here.

Bottom Line: in 20 years people will still be talking about A New Hope, but no one will still be talking about The Force Awakens.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2015, 03:21 jdreyer

Meadowlark Lemon, what a name. RIP.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Dec 29, 2015, 03:20 jdreyer

That Fallout 4 article is actually pretty awesome.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Red5 Misses Payroll
15. Re: Red5 Misses Payroll Dec 29, 2015, 03:16 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 18:13:
I'm surprised this game survived more than a month outside of beta, let alone years.

That was my thought. This game has been in development for nearly 10 years. How is this studio even solvent? How did it not run out of funds years ago?

Live long, and prosper.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 00:16 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 22:18:
Super secret txt to follow:
Ugh where to start....
The blaster on the xwing, the huge ass wings on Kylo's ship that make it look like Darth Vader's Maxi with wings, The lady in the silver armor that was fucking worthless, Finn saying he was born to do one thing, yet he worked sanitation on the starkiller, and THEN became a stormtrooper. In A New Hope, everyone asked Solo for ID and orders when transferring a wookie, but no one questions Finn. And that's just in the 1st 30 mins of the movie.
There are just WAY to many fucking coincidences, even for the Force.
The music was fucking HORRIBLE. Which REALLY surprised me. Even 1-3 had some fucking awesome Williams trademark music, but there was NOTHING that even remotely peaked my ears.
The entire last trailer was 10 time better then the actual movie.

The ONLY thing I loved about the movie was the moment Rey had during the saber fight and accepted the force, to me THAT is what the light side of the force is about, and that scene to me nailed it.

Yup, (spoilers)
You and I mostly agree with the issues. I liked Ren's ship, though, and didn't think the music was awful, even while probably being the least memorable of any SW film. But all the ridiculous coincidences, logical inconsistencies, and stupid nonsensical callbacks drove me nuts and really spoiled things for me. It really put a turd on the same plate as my filet mignon, because there are some really great things about this movie like the world building, Poe, BB8, how everything looks real and not plastic, some of the action esp fighter battles, etc.

And disagree about Rey. I thought her mastery of the force was kind of Out of the Blue. She got to a level of the force in one movie (a few days) where Luke got to after 3 movies (several years): defeating a dark force master.

I agree, too, that final trailer is amazing.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2015, 22:05 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 19:06:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 17:19:
Batman Returns, a great xmas movie and shot beautifully. Tim Burton at his dreary best

DOH, forgot about that one. *tips hat*

Speaking of movies, finally saw The Force Awakens.......
I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Part of the 5 year old that remembers standing in line for Empire Strikes Back thought it was ok, but there are so many glaring issues with the story that I really don't know where to start, and my brain has sorta shut down trying to process it.
Be prepared to be told you just don't know how to have fun, and how maybe Star Wars just isn't for you anymore.

Also if interested you can go back and read all the stuff I hid with spoiler text. Interested to know if we had the same issues.

Live long, and prosper.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 jdreyer

I already covered the essentials with viewings of A Charlie Brown Christmas and Bad Santa.

What no Rudolph claymation?

* goes back to humming Silver and Gold *

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2015, 12:43 jdreyer

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S7 will cost you more money, but comes with an iris scanner.

Hooray?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
42. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 27, 2015, 19:28 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 09:08:
I tried the new alpha. it is incredibly good within context. and not only that, but the rate of change is obviously growing. I predict this game will be impressing regular people in 1 year, and "done" in 2 years. the haters apparently have no merit because they've never seen a AAA public alpha... because there has never been one. they are comparing star citizen to a figment of their imaginations.

and for those criticizing the CEO for being bad at his own game: this too is normal. I didn't blink an eye. he acted a klutz, like every executive I've ever seen. they do not have time to play games. but your imaginations ran wild again, like your mouths.

What makes you think they have the money to fund a company of 260 people for the next two years?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month
14. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 18:31 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:49:
So MS paid for a 2 month exclusivity? I'm sure that sold a ton of extra consoles...

Well, yeah, the secret fan service mode that includes alternate dress styles for Lara will. These include little black dress, bikini, miniskirt schoolgirl, sexy maid, and evening lingerie. Also, at the end of the game, there's a mode where you get to the hotel and help Lara shower all the grime off and shave. Let's just say you've got a bit to shave off after being out in the bush for so long. Lots of quicktime events there.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: ogre says: Dec 27, 2015, 14:48 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 14:38:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 14:03:
harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:42:
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Says the guy who names his account after an anime space pirate.

i was role-playing an ogre

Heh.

Live long, and prosper.

3. Re: ogre says: Dec 27, 2015, 14:03 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:42:
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Says the guy who names his account after an anime space pirate.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
25. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 22:01 jdreyer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:59:
This issue seems to have stemmed from a DDOS attack optimization that wasn't fully tested- these are edge cases that are very hard to test at scale. In the web world, stuff like this happens a lot, it's our worst nightmare when cached data for different users gets mixed up. It looks terrible, but almost always benign.

The vitriol here is predictable, and it's always the same ignorant people. It doesn't give valve a free pass, but some of the assertions here are just ridiculous.

I'm kind of a luddite, so is this analogy correct? Some tubes got clogged, so my shit went into someone else's toilet, but it didn't overflow, so we're all good here now.

Live long, and prosper.

PC Gaming > Best of for gaming?
4. Re: Best of for gaming? Dec 26, 2015, 20:30 jdreyer

ElasticDragon wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 00:39:
Thank you very much for your information. I have tried a few of those and planning to do the rest once I get a decent gaming rig. This brings me to the next chapter now we got some really awsum game titles so now let's talk about gaming systems I wanna know which gaming system is better a PC or laptop? Also which is cheer and also I wanna know the specs required in a righ to run all demanding titles in ultra settings in 55-70fps
P.S THANKS FOR YOUR ACTIVENESS AND THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME IN READING MY LOOONG MESSAGE

I would avoid laptops for heavy gaming. They tend to be poor at cooling, hard to clean, and often burn out the proc or GPU. Use a desktop. Even a small form factor PC is preferable, while remaining fairly portable if that's important to you.

For running AAA games at max settings around 60fps on 1080P, you should get a core i5 processor, 8 or more GB of RAM, and a nVidia 970 graphics card. If you know what you're doing, you can build your own, or if not, get a prebuilt one from someplace. This review of nine different custom builders should help you decide.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2015, 20:37.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Witcher III Graphics Mod
14. Re: The Witcher III Graphics Mod Dec 26, 2015, 14:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 11:26:
Even at 1080p this video is extremely grainy for me. Not sure if that's the video or if my internet connection is just choking.

In any case, it looks very nice, but not so mindblowingly awesome that I'd trade in what appears to be a pretty big performance hit for it.

Yeah, something got messed up with that vid, probably when the poster compressed it for upload.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt
57. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 14:39 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 11:41:
It would also be a good era to cover with games but the last time they had such an opportunity (to cover the space between eps III and IV) they crapped out the TFU games so I'm not exactly hopeful in that regard. The lack of good story-driven Star Wars games is actually kinda appalling if you consider the theoretically rich lore and background.

Well, duh, obviously that costs money and pirates would just torrent the shit out of it and they'd lose money. Much better to make half a game like Battlefront and charge full price for it, because Star Wars.

/snark

Live long, and prosper.

56. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 14:10 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 07:16:
id be willing to bet an immense amount of the entertainment value in this movie has to do with the millions of dollars in VFX work, and the spectacular artistry involved with that

as opposed to say, the actual storyline itself... which id probly say is quite a bit less interesting or well crafted than some current excellent TV series

My thought upon leaving the movie was "At least The Expanse is pretty good."

Live long, and prosper.

55. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 14:08 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 06:56:
havent cared about it at all... ive never been a huge fan of star wars but im pretty actively against seeing this one after hearing about it for a while now...

it sounds like some straight up Disney shit, which is applicable, i guess... i mean, Lucas was already like a 2nd rate Disney to begin with, albeit a tad more "mature" if you can call it that
The problem is more Abrams than Disney, but they both contribute.

problem is that this era of movies, which brought you things like Conan, Krull, Beastmaster, Terminator, Wrath of Khan, Bladerunner, Dragonslayer, Ice Pirates, and so on and so forth - it was a golden era for this kind of thing and it has long since passed, and the EPIC fantasy movie artform has dwindled to jack shit, which is why all these dumbfucks are trying to RELIVE the PAST because they have NOTHING LEFT TO GIVE and NOTHING NEW TO ADD

at this point there are only a handful of said artists still around, its still here, just far, far more rare - see, the glory days have come and gone so now you have also-rans and tributes and obsessive nerds and so forth and all this BULLSHIT that comes along with having a monumental history of legendary items

The rating system and "four quadrant" goal has basically ruined these kinds of movies.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
26. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 26, 2015, 14:03 jdreyer

Razumen wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 10:29:
Like DNF ever had a publicly playable version of its original version...get a grip man.

There's a playable version? News to me. Every time I try to load 2.0 or 2.1, it crashes. Win 7, 8GB RAM, Core i5 @ 3.5 GHz, GTX670.

Live long, and prosper.

14668 Comments. 734 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo