Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11592 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 17:52 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 17:36:
I know that I am going to regret this, but wasn't there a near unanimous consensus for years on high cholesterol foods raising your blood cholesterol in the medical field? Until this year anyway, when the latest studies have proven there to be no ascertainable link whatsoever. I'm not saying that the same thing will happen with climate change (specifically anthropomorphic climate change), but it does illustrate that a consensus based on bad or incomplete findings or evidence is still a wrong one. I only question is there enough evidence for such a consensus to be infallible.

Do you have links? I hadn't heard that.

Also, a single new finding doesn't necessarily invalidate decades of other findings. No idea if that's the case in this case or not, just making a point. Often it takes a mountain of research to undo acknowledged existing research.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 05:57 jdreyer

Also, Robocraft. This one I've actually seen the Steam page for. Anyone playing it? I like the idea of building something then testing it in the real world (a la the original Mechwarrior). However, I've been put off from playing it from both the Free to Play and Early Access labels.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 05:51 jdreyer

Unturned, a free to play, early access game that none of us has even heard of or talked about has the most "owners?" What the actual fuck??? I'm not doubting Ars (too much) since the game has 114,000 reviews but Jesus, who couldanode?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 04:51 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 23:06:
I love daylight savings time! I was able to take my Sunday walk much later in the day. Thumbsup

Yes, yes. And for those of you that hate daylight savings time, you should heed Bobbob's advice and move somewhere that doesn't have it: AZ or HI. You'll be happier there!

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos
39. Re: Star Citizen Videos Mar 9, 2015, 03:30 jdreyer

Wildone wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 15:35:
Keeps reminding me of DNF...

As someone who has bought into this game at the base level, I think they're making good progress. That being said, as things drag on, the analogy is less DNF and more Firefall with Roberts playing the Mark Kern role (although, without all the sturm und drang). A great idea that keeps changing key features and adding features causing delays and costing money. I don't think the analogy is perfect, but there are a lot of similarities

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2015, 02:46 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 18:19:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:45:
Always glad to find some common ground with you Axis. You'll be pleased that DQ2 is in very active development and its coming this year, one of the devs posts updates and concept art on SA. They're also going to release a patch for the original with new sprites and models for free which is awesome. I'm a huge fan of the original, I think the sequel will be something special.

Have to agree with ya Verno, the majority of us aren't really all that different -- it's the few fringe we all need to be careful of.

The DQ news is great, I'd prolly play it again if the new one is a ways away.

I loved Defender's Quest, and have championed it on this site several times. Great game, both narratively and from a gameplay perspective.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
29. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2015, 02:41 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 14:15:
Cmon JD, the president bashing was never worse than during Bush, and dems just kept going and going pushing the hate and people apart because that's what they do:

Everything is still Bush's fault
Everyone is a racist
Everyone is a bigot
Everyone is an islamophobe
War against women
War against homosexuals
War against war
War against science
You eat too unhealthy
You use too much energy
Take their guns
Let illegals in
Capitalism is evil
Income inequality

I could go on and on and its ALL liberal ALL DAMN DAY every damn day and it's all complete and utter bullshit 99% of the time.

Liberals and Democrats own the root of hyperpartisanship, no escaping it and you know it. Everyone sees it -- and any who say they don't either are willfully blind, or pay no attention to that which they say they do.

The thing is, almost everything in your list is empirically true, which is why people say it. They're not just making shit up.

1. Bush has been ranked by historians as one of the worst presidents ever. One might argue that bashing was deserved.

2. Not everyone, but Republicans are in fact more racist.

3. Conservative states have more incidents of islamophobia, empirically.

4. How can you even dispute the War on Women ? The vast majority of anti-women legislation are introduced and sponsored by Republicans. Are you denying that's the case?

5. The states banning gay marriage are, in fact, Republican controlled states. Is this even in doubt?

6. Not only is there a Republican War on Science, but scientists are examining and beginning to understand why Republicans hate science so much.

And on, and on. Each point is easily supported by empirical evidence.

There has always been partisanship, but that's not what I'm talking about. Hyperpartisanship, the vicious no-holds-barred organized and monied attacks and distortions against the left from the right began with Lee Atwater and took off with Fox News and conservative talk radio. Concepts like the Overton Window were designed to push ideas that were common sense to most people rightward in an attempt to "conservatize" the nation. Distortion and outright lies by Fox News make viewers the least informed. Billionaires like the Kochs and Adelson funnel millions of dollars to think tanks and lobbyists in an attempt to further push the country to the right, buoyed by SCOTUS cases like Citizen's United. That's what I mean, and little of that is in doubt. It's why we have a country dominated by a party that is supported by only about 30% of the population.

Live long, and prosper.

28. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2015, 02:04 jdreyer

SengFeng wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 13:43:
Blame Rush and Fox News... How libtarded of you. God forbid we didn't just have almost 8 years of Democratic-lead Congress and they accomplished nothing. They wait to enact goofy legislation/executive orders when they can point fingers at Republicans.

Actually, they did something. They enacted the most consequential piece of domestic legislation since the 1960s: the ACA. Regardless of your opinion of it, good or bad, they actually got something major accomplished that dramatically affects the lives of millions of people in this hyperpartisan environment we've had politically since Clinton came to office.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2015, 01:28 jdreyer

Dacron wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 20:20:
The Harper hate is like the Obama hate. Just as crazy too. Dislike a few policies and suddenly the world is broken... even though it's how it always was.

Well, except that Harper isn't black, or liberal.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2015, 01:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:44:
Wow, the reviews are brutal. I'm surprised he dropped the ball so badly. I wonder if this is a classic case of the studio overriding the director and releasing a different film from what he wanted. I'm sure that's the case he'll make at any rate.

Yeah, I think I've lost hope for the Alien film. As cool as District 9 was, there were some pretty big plot holes and inconsistencies that bothered me. And Elysium was just plain bad. For this one to be getting crap reviews too just makes me lose all hope.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 7, 2015, 01:13 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 22:03:
And what do all these corps think is going to happen when they eliminate the middle-class? Who's going to buy their shit? The fucking greed and shortsightedness is mind-boggling. I supposed the mentality is so long as you get yours now fuck everyone else, right? And then they wonder how bloody revolutions occur.

1000x this. Economies and societies both do better with flatter income equality. Empirically. And revolutions chance increases proportionally with increased income inequality. Empirically. And yet we have been heading in the wrong direction for decades.

And, no Communism is not the answer. Free markets work well for most things, but exploitative capitalism is just as extreme as Communism.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2015, 21:26 jdreyer

Chappie is getting pasted by critics, although Schlock Mercenary cartoonist Howard Tayler really liked it. Is anyone planning on seeing it? I'm less interested in the movie itself, than it's effect on Blomkamp's Alien movie.  

Live long, and prosper.

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 21:04 jdreyer

“Straight Pride” group slapped with $25K fine for DMCA claim against blogger.

A shame they'll never collect. I hate fake take-down notices.

Live long, and prosper.

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 21:02 jdreyer

Comcast has tons of objections to California’s “approval” of TWC merger.

"How dare you place stipulations on our monopoly!"

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 21:02 jdreyer

Snowden says he'd like to return to Geneva.

I would too. It'll be interesting to see what comes of Snowden's efforts to leave Russia.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2015, 21:00 jdreyer

Still, they give you enough to get the gist. That's some serious Fucked-Uppedness right there. Aren't they a state-sanctioned monopoly? I guess the law doesn't stipulate American workers. And yet again we trade high paying skilled labor for Walmart and McDs.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 6, 2015, 20:57 jdreyer

AP will use 'robot journalists' to expand its college sports coverage.

When I started reading that title, I instantly completed it with "war coverage." Imagine my shock.

Live long, and prosper.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 20:12 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 19:54:
Oh, our Charter of Rights and Freedoms is more or less the same thing. And actually the current administration's election was even worse than that. It wasn't 40%, it was 29.9%. That was all thanks to the gerrymandering they've been doing for years. And that was reflective of the lowest voter turnout in Canadian history. So not voting does matter.

Yes, but how do those laws specifically affect this case?

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 20:11 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 19:28:
canadian rights are imagined. it's basically a dictatorship that pretends to not be one because of the proximity to the US border. there is nothing like the US constitution or congress. the prime minister has dictatorial powers and the policy processes are just there for looks.

there should be a public uproar to stop this. but the unpopular prime minister was elected to "majority" power with only 40% of the vote and people just rolled over... twice.

can you imagine the US president being elected with 40% of the vote instead of 51%, and then having a token semi-congress sign off on all his laws? that's the canadian political system.

We actually often do have presidents elected with less than 50% of the popular vote. GW Bush only got 47%. He actually lost the popular vote (Gore got 48%) while winning the election. In 1992 Bill Clinton won the presidency with only 43% of the vote since 3rd part candidate Ross Perot pulled 19% from both the Dem and Repub candidates.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
16. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 20:05 jdreyer

The Pyro wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 18:19:
I was looking for terrain popup. I could see it, but the effect was pretty subtle. Fairly impressive.

But videos like this ultimately don't tell you what you need to know about an engine. You can do some awfully impressive stuff when manpower is not an issue and you have an army of artists and developers at your disposal. The important question is: how much effort does it take to produce this stuff? What tools does the engine ship with in order to make your job easier?

Still, it's a good PR video for advertising their new business model

The other thing to consider is that all the PC resources were dedicated to the render. If you had an actual game running in there too, you wouldn't be able to simulate nearly as much.

Live long, and prosper.

11592 Comments. 580 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo