Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11182 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 18, 2015, 02:25 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 23:17:
don't listen to a word from this guy, Mark Kern is a swindler. He ran Red5 studios into the ground with co-workers saying he'd leave on vacation for 3 weeks, come back and just throw out everything that everyone would be doing to change directions. also he was often drunk and doing blow. which isn't a point against him, just explains his erratic behaviour.

he's like a boorish american version of Molyneaux, he just loves talking in circles and is in love with the sound of his own voice, but is incredibly narcissistic and doesn't have the social skills to manage a studio to actually accomplish anything.

Oh, yeah, this was the Firefall game. Remember that game that was in development for seven years? This was the guy that thought it was more important to build a $2M Firefall bus than spend the money to build the game.

"The worst of it all is i used to ENJOY getting excited for big titles like this, but these publishers just keep ruining my love for this wonderful hobby with their endless fuckery." - Sempai
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2015, 02:21 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 23:02:
What exactly would those small countries have to lose by ignoring the tobacco companies to begin with? Trade sanctions? Yeah, and what country is going to want the global attention on them for being the dicks that sanction a country on behalf of the tobacco industry? And are these tobacco farmers soulless? Anything for a dollar?

Yeah, I'm not sure why a country can't make tobacco the equivalent of a class 1 narcotic, given that studies have shown nicotine is as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Then just ban it. If the tobacco companies complain, well, SCIENCE.

"The worst of it all is i used to ENJOY getting excited for big titles like this, but these publishers just keep ruining my love for this wonderful hobby with their endless fuckery." - Sempai

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2015, 01:41 jdreyer

Facebook still suspending Native Americans over 'real name' policy.

And yet Long Duck Dong still has a FB page.

(Yes, I realize he's a movie character from 16 Candles. Makes even less sense that the page exists.)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 17, 2015, 21:13 jdreyer

Hey, to be a dick at 14, but come to your senses at 16 that your sociopathic behavior is wrong, then try to make up for it by helping people be more secure, I think that's a nice character arc. I was still at dick at 16.

And there's some good info in there on how to avoid swatting.

News Comments > Pollen Warning
3. Re: Pollen Warning Feb 17, 2015, 21:09 jdreyer

Nice design and world-building. What's the gameplay consist of?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2015, 20:50 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 18:12:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 12:49:
Blue wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 12:40:
The weather is much nicer in San Diego... you really need to move out of that hellhole and get to someplace really nice.

Actually, where I am the climate is considered better than San Diego. Thumbsup

there's a slight shower in the forecast! run for the hills! RUUUN FOOOR THE HIIIIILLS! RUN FOOOOOR YOUR LIIIIIIIFE! IEEEEEEEEEE! (yes that was an iron maiden joke =D)

Hey, Maiden is no joke. They are 1badmf-ing band.

General Discussion > This Is the Police
3. This is the police Feb 17, 2015, 20:46 jdreyer

Hi,

I saw your KS a while ago, and thought you have an interesting idea for a game. Not doing any KS right now, but will keep an eye on your game and may pick it up after launch if reviews are good.

Good luck, and hope you make funding.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2015, 15:11 jdreyer

Three Texas Families Who Took a Pass on the Fracking Boom.

Man, that story is depressing. I see the benefits of fracking: methane produces much less CO2 than coal, reduces dependence on foreign energy, etc., but they really need to keep it out of populated areas. The common person has no hope against big oil & gas and the governmental corruption slanted in favor of those companies.

News Comments > STRAFE Alpha Demo
4. Re: STRAFE Alpha Demo Feb 17, 2015, 14:59 jdreyer

Soulburner wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 13:10:
Didn't like the screenshots, didn't like the gameplay videos... said repeatedly it sucks. But... I enjoyed playing the alpha! There's a lot to do to finish the project, obviously, but this thing... it can be fun.

Huh, but there's no weapon switching, is there?

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Fundraising Ends and Continues
5. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Fundraising Ends and Continues Feb 17, 2015, 14:56 jdreyer

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 14:07:
I have no idea why devs just didn't set up their own crowdfunding site like Chris roberts and star citizen. They should just use kickstarter as promotional and then after the funding goals are met, reveal their own extended crowdfunding site.

It really makes no sense to obey kickstarters funding time limit because new people are constantly discovering that the project exists long after the original campaign. I never knew of the original shadow-run campaign at all, I didn't discover it until it was long since over. Game developers are doing themselves a disservice by cutting themselves off from further funding they could use to insulate themselves from risk.

Yeah, I wish I could have funded Limit Theory. Didn't hear about it until a couple of months after the KS, and Josh isn't taking any more money (not that he needs it - guy lives with parents, so $187K should fund him for years). He doesn't need my money, but I would have liked to have access to the beta.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2015, 13:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 11:05:
They need some new nuclear terror shows and movies. Remember Threads and The Day After? Even some good cheese like Damnation Alley. Let's get back to good ol' fashion nuclear/post apocalypse stuff with proper mutants and no goddamned zombies. If Bethsoft doesn't announce Fallout 4 this June I'm going to be mighty pissed.

How much did that clown Harper piss away on that toy? Jesus, so need to get rid of him.

What a POS for robbing a girl scout. Granted, that was stupid leaving the money on the table like that but seriously? Robbing a girl scout? Please let that fucker get caught and go to prison to get tuned up by the angry dads in there.

Look at the bright side Cutter. You'll be able to select that gun as a loadout in the next Call of Duty! So all your tax money didn't go to waste!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2015, 13:48 jdreyer

Martin: 'Thrones' will get bloodier than my books.

Um, George? In order for the show to get (future tense) bloodier than your books, you have to write them first.

Now that the show is in production and taking on a life of its own, I think GRRM is basically retired. He knows his story will be finished, since he's given the basic outline to the showrunners. I understand the man has a pretty bad Civ addiction or something. Maybe he plays Crusader Kings, as it's closer to GoT.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 17, 2015, 13:22 jdreyer

That Equation Group story from yesterday was an amazing read. Hiding malware in the hard drive firmware? My hat is off. As I said yesterday, there is still so much more we don't know about how much the NSA is doing.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 17, 2015, 04:09 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 02:19:
Of those that jdreyer mentioned, Sherlock is probabaly the best. Really good take on the classic genius detective, I was skeptical going in (as the subject has been done to death) but now I can't wait for the 4th season...

Yeah, that's why I didn't even bother describing it. Fucking, fucking brilliant show. Probably the best show I've seen since The Wire or BSG (while being completely different from those two).

It's it amazing these days that so much TV out there is so much better than the movies we get?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 17, 2015, 04:06 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 01:39:

I remember how cool Spore sounded and how lame it actually was. I spent more time creating creatures than I ever did actually playing it.

Wife and kids and I had a lot of fun with it. It's a game you play with your family, but yeah, it could have been so much more.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
64. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 17, 2015, 01:19 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:27:
I GOT AN IDEA

Let's all petition to put aside one day a week for "No Hyperbole Mondays" although I'm not sure how many literary devices some BN posters would have left to fall back on. That might be a bit inhumane i suppose, kind of like pulling the stinger off a scorpion. Without the tail they'd just thrash around without aim like a retarded crawfish.

What you're suggesting is that no comments at all be posted on Monday.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2015, 00:45 jdreyer

This story shows that all Snowden did was fart and the iceberg popped up a few feet. There is still so much the NSA is doing out there that we don't know about:

rewrote the hard-drive firmware of infected computers—a never-before-seen engineering marvel that worked on 12 drive categories from manufacturers including Western Digital, Maxtor, Samsung, IBM, Micron, Toshiba, and Seagate.

The malicious firmware created a secret storage vault that survived military-grade disk wiping and reformatting, making sensitive data stolen from victims available even after reformatting the drive and reinstalling the operating system. The firmware also provided programming interfaces that other code in Equation Group's sprawling malware library could access. Once a hard drive was compromised, the infection was impossible to detect or remove.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 17, 2015, 00:36 jdreyer

walrus1 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:06:
Other than then the third season of House of Cards I don't see anything worth watching.

I recommend The Fall if you haven't seen it. Great police procedural set in Belfast. Fascinating to watch how the Brits do policing, as well as some great acting by Gillian Anderson. The other star, Jamie Dornan, currently stars in 50 Shades of Grey.

The first season of Spartacus is also spectacular. I watched these on disk originally, and just discovered they're streaming. Brutal with graphic violence and sex but beautifully stylized, it has plenty of intrigue and action. The first season has a great arc. I'm going to watch the other seasons soon.

Top of the Lake follows an Australian police detective (Elizabeth Moss) on vacation to visit her dad in New Zealand who tries to discover why a 12 year old pregnant girl tried to kill herself. Complex characters, beautiful scenery, and great acting made for a compelling story that I got kind of lost in.

The brilliant Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, if you've not already seen them.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
59. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 16, 2015, 20:29 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 13:07:
Look, I don't generally have a problem with preorders. If people wanna preorder a great PC game like The Witcher 3, fine. It is well established that CDP does give two shits about PC gamers and they don't do any shady backroom exclusivity deals or withhold their games from PC gamers for no other reason than LA HOLY MOOLAH.

But arrogant assholes like Rockstar should not be rewarded for their treatment of PC gamers. It was pathetic how they went out of their way to avoid saying whether there would even be a PC version at all. They played PC gamers like a fat cat a wounded mouse. Their entire conduct was outright disgusting and now all they want from their precious GTA V is to cash in on PC gamers one last time.

All I'm saying is don't reward them with a preorder. Show'em some pride, some spine and some integrity. Show them you don't appreciate being sneered at. Don't bend over. That is all.

This makes no sense. GTAV is a known product, both the originals and enhanced edition. The PC version was even delayed ostensibly to get it right. Preordering is a pretty low risk.

Witcher 3 is a brand new game that hasn't even come out yet. Who knows if it's good or not. Or even optimized. Witcher 2 was buggy and unoptimized when it came out. Preordering this is more risky, IMO.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2015, 20:04 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 17:29:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 17:26:
Imitation game was good, but in a Beautiful Mind way....

Looking forward to that one on netflix. Sad what happened to the guy...

edit: Amazing he didn't get an apology until recently.

Hopefully the more enlightened age we're entering survives the upcoming catastrophes.

11182 Comments. 560 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo