Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8475 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2014, 15:43 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 15:22:

Pretty much this. My tablet is over 3 years old and I have no real reason to upgrade it. It still does basic media consumption very well.

Yeah, My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10 is 2 years old, and still works great. I am thinking of picking up a 7" GalTab just because the kids want to play Minecraft together, and I'm tired of them draining out my phone to do it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2014, 15:37 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 13:11:
nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 11:34:
Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 11:31:
Three to one. Hahahahahahahaaaaa. Poor, poor failbox.

But you can watch TV on it (just like you can without it)!

Maybe Natella can yell "XBOX! SELL MORE!"
Oh wait, he got the SKU without Kinect.

Well, MS is learning the hard way. Maybe should have not been so arrogant about their features. Also, shouldn't have put all their eggs in the xbox basket and ignored PC gaming. How's that thorn in the bottom of your foot? Quit your crying, we TOLD you not to run barefoot through the briar patch.

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
14. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 11:34:
The latest F1 games were pretty good actually. If you want to challenge yourself shut off all the assists.
The dirt and Grid series were all fluff though, but Autosport is good. It is fun.

Dirt 2 was a blast. Love that game. Dirt 3, not so much.

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
13. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 15:29 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 11:27:
So why on earth would a PC player buy 2014, if 2015 is going to be a 'next-gen' version only, and will come out soon(ish) thereafter?

I might buy 2014 if it's super cheap, otherwise I'm done with Codemasters. After buying the full priced GRiD 2 game only to find that 90% of the cars in multiplayer were DLC for sale, I was really pissed. It's one thing to sell DLC on Steam or wherever. It's another entirely to sell the full game then make the DLC look like playable cars only to pull the rug out from under the player when they go to use them.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
57. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 15:25 jdreyer

gray wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 08:10:

I tried it last night, it is without a doubt the killer app of VR. No other gaming experience comes close, I don't even ... I don't have the words.

Stop. Just...stop. You're giving me wood.

55. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 06:24 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 06:18:
Wondering what it matters if it is all nothingness.......what is the point? If the game is so damn large, again, just empty space.

Reminds me of Starbond - they want millions of planets, but to what purpose?

Because, Space, the final frontier.

Also, because can.

Also, too, because everyuthing in this game is procedural, so even number 400 billion star system will have things to do. I kind of like the idea of a multiplayer game where I can go off and hide.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 31, 2014, 05:08 jdreyer

Yeesh, looks like they won't make it. Too bad, looked fun.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 03:23 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 02:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 01:57:
The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.

If, like he claims, they aren't sexually involved, then he probably wasn't worrying too much about fact-checking her age.

Yup, although it looks like he was taking some pics of her in a hotel bedroom? Also, there's a weak implication with this pic that she's his girlfriend (although this could be just a pic to make the joke, too). I'll probably forget about this by tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know the final outcome of this case. Whoever did this to that poor girl seriously fucked her up. She deserves justice and the perp (whoever he is) deserves a long jail sentence.

EDIT: Actually, he calls her his girlfriend in his July 2 post:
Check out this awesome video From #ClubCosplay. Relly informative about getting the nerd culture on the club scene! also check out my awesome Girl Friend and I at at 0:54!
Here's the video where the girl kisses him at the :54 mark. It's obviously "Milly" in her witch costume (another, different bedroom shot). So even if he didn't beat her up, these charges will probably end up sticking: He was booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 am on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of minor. Although, I will say that it's stupid that the age of consent for Cali is 18. If this had taken place in most other states, there'd be no charges filed.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 04:01.

36. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 01:57 jdreyer

The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jul 31, 2014, 01:36 jdreyer

Task wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 23:23:
I have never beaten the boss in FTL. Not. Once. 10/10

Here's a guide. I can vouch for most of the stuff in this article as solid advice.

My own advice
- Always play on Easy mode.
- Space bar is your friend.
- Most of the starting weaps have great power to damage ratios. Don't be quick to sell them.
- I tend to stick with lasers and ion weaps over missiles, although missiles are great for taking out shields
- Always buy the Burst Laser Mk 2 if you come across one.
- Buy Zoltan (to power your weaps and shields) and Mantis (for ship defense) if you come across them.
- Always upgrade your engines to at least 35% dodge.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: Into the Black Jul 31, 2014, 01:20 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 00:57:
FTL allows me to start fires on enemy ships and teleport over rock people to smush the puny weaklings while they burn. Gold star.

The greatest thing is how playing a ship from each race suggests different tactics. It's so much fun using those tactics to win. I won my first boss battles with high shields and lots of lasers. Then I got the Federation cruiser and based my strategy around the Artillery Beam. Then I got a Mantis Cruiser and built my strategy around the teleporter. Engi with the drones. Etc. Etc. Being "forced" into the different strategies keeps it fresh (although you're not forced at all, you can still do whatever you want). It's genius game design.

News Comments > Clockwork Empire Early Access Next Month
5. Re: Clockwork Empire Early Access Next Month Jul 31, 2014, 00:59 jdreyer

Techie714 wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 23:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:25:
Also, here's some gameplay posted by PC Gamer's Evan Lahti just a few months ago.

Pretty much anything Evan covers I'm into. He is one of the best journalists in the industry right now.

He's the reason I listen to the PC Gamer podcast. He says insightful things, and he's got a great "radio voice."

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jul 30, 2014, 23:37 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:42:
What.The.Fuck.

While not quite as spectacular as that, I saw this video and this other video today that were pretty awesome.

52. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 23:06 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 22:11:
Holy shit is this thing going to grow.

From 55 Star Systems in beta to 400 billion as it states at 1:22.

And I'll be counting each one on my abacus.

Let us know when you're finished.

Skull

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 22:47 jdreyer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:20:
People have been calling for anti-harassment policies and strict anti-creeper rules at cons like this for a while and maybe this will be the very unfortunate incident that gets that kind of trash behavior put down.

They called for such policies at this Comicon too.

I don't care if a woman is wearing a G-String with pasties cosplaying Striperella. That's not an invitation FOR ANYTHING.

You mean like this cosplay of Witchblade?

I've been to SDCC several times both as pro and visitor and it has been a pleasant (though exhausting) trip each time. This report soils it and I hope they look at what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Well, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 1000s and 1000s of people went and came home without incident.

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 22:07 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 18:48:
people still blame the victim in sexual assaults? is that still a thing? guess we haven't moved forward as far as i'd hoped. stephen a smith was just suspended by espn for a week for the same thing.

Unfortunately, victim-blaming is so prominent these days (mostly on the right, but even liberals do it) that there's a term for it: "slut-shaming."

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 30, 2014, 20:48 jdreyer

I'm sure everyone on this site owns FTL. If you don't now's your chance to get once of the most amazing starship "simulators" ever made. So much fun.  

3. Re: Clockwork Empire Early Access Next Month Jul 30, 2014, 20:25 jdreyer

Also, here's some gameplay posted by PC Gamer's Evan Lahti just a few months ago.  

2. Re: Clockwork Empire Early Access Next Month Jul 30, 2014, 19:31 jdreyer

Been hearing about this one for a while, but not lately. Thought it might have turned into vapourware. Glad to hear it hasn't.  

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 17:54 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:49:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:13:
I don't know about the electric chair but I do think our legal system is entirely too lite on animals like the person who did this to her.

Yes, but share a few things on the internets and you'll be threatened with $10s of millions in fines and 35 years in jail.

IKR? Priorities...

It's a result of corporate interests writing the laws and controlling the government. Anti filesharing laws have billion dollar industries writing the text and funding their passage. Rape and assault victims don't. Get corporate money out of politics and equilibrium will return.

8475 Comments. 424 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo