Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 6610 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 1, 2014, 19:46 jdreyer

Hey, when is the Steam spring sale, traditionally?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding
12. Re: Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding Apr 1, 2014, 19:01 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 16:51:
No weapons? Boo!

I know, right? I'm like, WHERE'S THE GAME PLAY BRO?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 19:00 jdreyer

Asmo wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 18:41:
Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 14:22:
That's not a sentence, that's what he's facing.

People very, very, very rarely get 100% of what they're facing. It's much more common for them to get 0% of what they're facing.

Umm, you even read the article Beamer?

First paragraph:

Earlier this month, a Fresno man received what is believed to be the strongest sentence issued anywhere in the United States for firing a laser pointer at an aircraft—14 years in prison. His girlfriend was also convicted on similar charges, but she will not be sentenced until May 2014.

That is the sentence he received. He might get out on parole/good behaviour earlier, but atm he's going to jail for 14 years...

Read the whole thread.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
53. Re: Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 18:40 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 17:12:
If the whole thing is a scam we'll all find out sooner or later. Unless you have some evidence you just sound like a jackass.

I would say if it's a scam, it's the most elaborate scam in gaming history.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
52. Re: Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 18:38 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 17:03:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 16:37:
Can you list some of these games then for us n00bs?

Watch the first 30 seconds of every interview. Many are pretty green but there's a lot of veterans. A couple games that stuck out are Ghostbusters, Wing Commander, The Walking Dead. Some former Turbine, Blizzard, and Terminal Reality devs.

I don't get why people on Blue's are so incredibly biased against this particular game. If it fails it fails. So what?

Honestly, I'm a bit baffled myself. Probably because this is the biggest crowdfunded game in history and the obscene amounts of money have people worried that it will fail to live up to the promise, or even come out at all (they could blow it all, 38 Studios-style). I do wonder though, if games like Project Eternity or Wasteland had open ended Kickstarters, how much money they could have pulled in. I think the SC funding level is as much a function of its longevity as its popularity.

Personally, as a backer, I give Chris and his team the full benefit of the doubt. Until it enters Duke Nukem territory, I will just watch and wait.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
71. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Apr 1, 2014, 15:56 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 12:44:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 00:16:
[ And, yes, the earth's landscape is random in as much as geographical features form randomly, influenced by a hot or cold spot in the earth's crust, a meteor strike, or a close perihelion to the sun or moon.

you might say the occurrence of these events is random, but i would say that is because you dont have enough information to understand why they occurred when they did

events are not random, but rather your ability to understand the chain of cause and effect is the limitation ... it causes you to short circuit the process of knowing

"randomness" is just as much a matter of blind faith.. its the same kind of mystical, magical idea as some bearded guy in the clouds arranging everything on a chessboard... both perspectives result from the limitations of human cognition

just because you cant decode the instruction set doesnt mean there isnt one there... the coherence of every physical system requires it

Regardless of whether it is true randomness, or the inability of our simple minds to understand the quantum interaction of the 3.8E+50 atoms that comprise the solar system, the effect is the same: take 1000 protoplanetary systems of equal mass, and they will all evolve differently within the limitations imposed by the laws of physics. Just like good procedural generation.

70. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Apr 1, 2014, 15:51 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 12:02:
We will have some exciting announcements to make down the line involving some of the talent we’ve been talking to about helping us with procedural system and planet building.

Please hire Josh Parnell AFTER he finishes Limit Theory, please please please please please please please please please please please kthxbye.

I'd much prefer Josh to stay independent. I'm sure he'll make enough money off of LT to stay that way. I can't wait for LT, and can't wait to see what this guy does in the future. He's a vast talent to be sure.

69. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Apr 1, 2014, 15:48 jdreyer

Qbex . wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 08:43:
I'm getting strong x-wing vibe from that one. Also, I truly believe stylized graphics is the way to go if you're on a budget. 8 bit style craphics I'm feed up with, its not the eighties anymore, but this, minimalistic and stylish approach is super cool.

Seconded, seconded, SECONDED!!!

67. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Apr 1, 2014, 15:46 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 08:28:
Eh, more interested in Enemy Starfighter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_U2MdCdaR4

Looks gorgeous and the design plan sounds a lot more feasible than Star Citizen's kitchen sink approach.

That looks pretty cool. I like the graphics, very Homeworld-esque. If they have some good mission design, a la Tie Fighter, could be a winner.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 15:43 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:21:
MisterBenn wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:13:
I would have been in support of this section being named "Out of the Pink" for a day!

I'd be more excited about tonights "into the pink".

Blush

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 15:38 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 09:21:
we have totally changed our name here to Pink's News

Glad this made a return this year. I've been missing it.

I know, right? Blue looks great in drag!

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 15:26:
Also, I clearly did what I accused someone else of not doing just last week and didn't read the damn article.

He was already sentenced. I'm sorry, everyone.
The headline, though, is dumb. He isn't facing 14 years, he received 14 years. He'll still likely be out before, but there's a huge difference between what most reporters mean when they say "facing" and what a judge actually sentences you to. This guy is no longer facing 14 years and has been sentenced to 14 years.

Still, I screwed up by not clicking into the article.
No worries mate!

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 11:01:
And no, he won't get 14 years. How have people not figured this shit out? Headlines show you the MAXIMUM penalty, if the jury finds for all charges and the judge/jury, depending on trial/jurisdiction, goes with the maximum penalties. But that happens maybe 1% of the time. Typically someone gets, at most, half the penalties. Then they go to jail and get out early.
Have you never, ever seen a headline before?

Hey Beam, I think he was already sentenced and 14 years is his sentence? From the article.

Earlier this month, a Fresno man received what is believed to be the strongest sentence issued anywhere in the United States for firing a laser pointer at an aircraft—14 years in prison.

Also, these are federal charges, so the most he can hope for in reduction for good behavior is 13%, and looking at this guy's record good behavior is far from a given. So he's looking at 12-14 years.

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:24 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 11:00:
[ 14 years in California is going to be 3-7 tops anyway and considering both the context and severity of what he did I don't see a problem with the sentence.

He was brought up on federal charges. He'll serve time in federal prison, so he'll serve most of it.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:21 jdreyer

Ludomancer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:38:
It used to be, in this country, that people weren't convicted on what they "could" do. I don't want to see law go any further than that though.
Regardless I hope he doesn't serve 14 years in prison, only because that is absurd, but the guy is an idiot.

So if I attempt to murder you and I fail, nothing should happen to me?

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Tim1_2 wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 09:12:
That guy who lasered the helicopters certainly deserves punishment, but 14 years is ridiculous. People who have killed people have served less time in prison.

The guy got the max for a couple of reasons.
1. He had a long criminal record.
2. He violated his probation.

His girlfriend is also being charged, and since she has no criminal record, I doubt we'll see her get more than a few years.

Part of the problem is that stupid people do stupid things. I'm not sure these things should be sold without some kind of tobacco style warning on them.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:14 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 12:51:
I'm just kind of curious what does a laser look like in the cockpit of a helicopter? Does it create a bright flash as it goes through the windshield? Or does the operator have to be specifically aiming for the pilot's eyes?
The laser actually dissipates a bit at distance. So it is probably about 1M in diameter when it gets to the helo, bathing everything in light. The first part of this video shows an actual attack. It's in essence having a very bright flashlight shone in your eyes. The stronger the laser, the stronger and longer the effect: temporary loss of night vision, inability to read the instrument panel or see the horizon, temporary blindness, etc. If you're wearing night vision equipment, that can be completely overwhelmed and take a dozen or two seconds to come back into effect.

10. Re: Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding Apr 1, 2014, 15:01 jdreyer

Also, don't miss the interview with the developer for those of you who are interested. Posted by Blue in the interview section.  

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 1
7. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 1 Apr 1, 2014, 14:46 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 11:56:
The GW2 bobble-heads is pretty funny, especially since it apparently just happened and everyone freaked out at first.

Heh, a perfectly executed April Fool's joke!

Dunce

9. Re: Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding Apr 1, 2014, 14:44 jdreyer

As for caffeine, looks like it has potential, but it'll be hard for one guy to pull something like this off. Doesn't look like the graphics required UE4 though.  

6610 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo