Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8961 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 19:47 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 19:33:
Agreed, this is really tiresome now. Does anyone here actually ever go to Trolltaku anyway?

Actually, not really. Unless I've read every story at Blue's five times and I've had a couple beers. And it's midnight.

I do like io9 though.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 5, 2014, 19:34 jdreyer

That is actually pretty cool of them. Credit where credit is due.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2014, 19:22 jdreyer

This has potential. Mama had an interesting visual style. And I adore Hanna.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 5, 2014, 19:20 jdreyer

They suppressed the salaries of thousands workers in some of the best paid jobs in the country for years across the entire industry. They made billions in profits on the backs of these workers. Really, they're getting off light at $325M. They should be paying billions. They've really got a lot of gall.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 5, 2014, 19:10 jdreyer

I hear Ian Malcolm is looking for work, as long as it doesn't involve dinosaurs.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 19:08 jdreyer

Google Glass The Single Worst Product Ever.

I dunno, the Ford Pinto was pretty bad. Also, cigarettes?

Almost forgot: Windows 8 for desktop?

(Not gonna click article with clickbait title)

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 19:03 jdreyer

Icewind wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 18:42:
That's the article I saw endlessly retweeted, yes. I actually meant to write Polygon, but the brain isn't what it used to be.

All I want to see is people stick to their guns and stay away from the clickbait sites and stay with the authentic news blogs. I think after this they will, too.

A lot of the stories that show up here on Blues come from Kotaku, Gamasutra, Polygon, etc. It's natural for people wanting to read more about gaming to visit sites like those from here.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 5, 2014, 18:54 jdreyer

Looks interesting, but $200K is probably 5% of what they need to do this. The server costs alone...  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2014, 18:41 jdreyer

As for wanting a payout, I'm sure he spent a lot of time designing and testing the tool. I can understand the desire for some compensation. I don't think it's greedy (unless he want ONE MEEEELLION DOLLARS), and it's in Apple's interest to do so. Google and others have paid out for the same thing in the past.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2014, 18:38 jdreyer

Right, I think it might come down to whether or not the actual tool itself violated any laws (obviously the people using it to hack said accounts have violated the law). Given some of the tenets of the DMCA, it may have. That being said, the guy is Russian, so I don't think he's in any danger from the US authoritahs. Heck, they haven't even gotten Snowden yet. And Putin is not on good terms with us right now.  

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
41. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 5, 2014, 17:31 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 15:15:

I dunno, I've never met a dev that want to intentionally mislead.
I've also never met Randy Pitchford.

Yeah, like I said there could be a fairly innocent explanation of them just wanting to show off the engine to its full potential.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 16:04 jdreyer

Some douchebag assaulting female joggers got more than he bargained for when the most recent one turned out to be a federal marshal:

She then asked passersby to call 911 while she pursued Flynn, who was attempting to flee on foot. The marshal caught up with him in a nearby apartment complex, where she cornered him behind a staircase. Flynn “attempted to charge” the marshal, who “feared that [he] was going to assault her again,” so she kicked him in the crotch, grabbed him by the shoulder, then repeatedly punched him in the face.

She beat him so well that when the police finally arrived he couldn't remember his first name. The best part:

The marshal hurt her pinky finger in the fight

Fight

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 5, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

Is it just me, or is everyone else annoyed by the fact that monitor resolution now uses horizontal pixel width than vertical?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:06:
Ever seen a guy carrying around a Galaxy Note(which fits their description of a phablet)? Friend bought one and soon returned it, way too big.

Some of the gals might like them, but phones with big screens become a real pain to carry around. Try getting a Galaxy Note in a mans pants pocket. Good luck!

I use my Note as a conversation starter. I leave it bulging in my front pocket, and when I say "Hi" to a lady, she'll often reply, "Is that a Note in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 15:26 jdreyer

My wife and I wanted to spice things up a bit, so we got into bed last night, turned out the lights, and turned on the phablet. I'm here to tell you, it rocks the house.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2014, 15:20 jdreyer

Bodolza wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:31:
LittleMe wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:04:
All that said, the I still think issue has been blown well out of proportion.

I don't know about that, considering the future of human civilization is at stake, and that's not an exaggeration. Look at all the ways the Internet has transformed the world over the past 20 years. How this plays out will determine the shape of the internet.

Maybe not civilization, but certainly it has an effect on our modern way of life. While I'd love a robust marketplace with tons of ISPs that competed with each other, that's just not reality. ISPs are a monopoly or duopoly in the vast majority of markets. ISPs must be prevented from using that position from (further) gouging customers. That's what this fight is about: regulating the ISPs so they're not creating a massively tiered internet for both companies and individuals. ISPs are already massively profitable.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!? Sep 5, 2014, 15:02 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:57:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:21:
harlock wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 13:27:
1st world problems

And yet here you are. Posting.

Isn't there a soup kitchen that needs staffing? Or African charities that need money raised?

does that upset you? haha

truth hurts i guess

Just pointing out rank hypocrisy.

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
39. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 5, 2014, 14:57 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 21:31:
Eh, when you get down to it, these decisions are usually not made by some "marketing drone," they're made by some combination of the dev team and the producer, none of whom I think are sophisticated enough to try to pull the wool over consumer's eyes, and by the studio PR manager, who usually is more concerned with having to deal with fallout to want to mislead.

First, the top devs in the industry are extremely smart people. I wouldn't make assumptions.

Second, it might not be a nasty tricksy thing, but it could just be pride, or wanting to put your best foot forward, or whatever: "Let's turn on all the bells and whistles for PAX! Get five machines each with an 8 core proc OC'd at 5GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB raid 0 SSDs, and Quad SLI! Then we'll turn on ambient occlussion, use TXAA, max out tessellation and PhysX all on a 4K screen. It'll look AWESOME!"

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 14:45 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:34:
Creston, you're really putting words in their mouth with "every single gamer." They're all trying to clearly distinguish between people that play games (nearly everyone) and people that lash out and feel any criticism of games is a betrayal. That lengthy piece goes on to explain how the media created the "gamer," anyway, that in the 80s, with the media in death throes, it turned around and started appealing to a very specific demographic - the nerdy teenage male, and in it created a whole bunch of marketing to them that segmented off the "gamer" from the "regular human being who most likely also likes games," and now that the industry is trying to combine those two there seem to be issues.

And yes, you're right, it isn't journalism. But, frankly, where is the room for "journalism" in games? It's covering a consumer product! What do you want them to right about? I highlighted that passage because it's all true - game "journalists" can only know what PR lets them see. Same with movies. Same with music. But those areas have personalities people want to read about. Games don't. So the only source of information is the companies themselves.
I don't exactly see what people want. What kind of articles would you like to see? What kind of journalism can realistically happen. Or unrealistically. What articles would you like to see written, assuming the journalist is omniscient and doesn't need to go through a PR team to get access to the product?

I think the problem is when you use an overly broad term like "gamer" you end up with a lot of bycatch. That bycatch doesn't appreciate being hauled up on deck with the intended target, it just wanted to be left in the ocean to play its games. So it thrashes around and bites.

It doesn't matter that they qualified and explained. Those clickbait headlines struck a nerve. Also, too, does the fact that all those op-ed pieces look coordinated. It's very likely that game writers have an equivalent to the JournoList that DC journalists used to discuss things among themselves. That all these came out at the same time saying the same thing is suspicious and further upsets people who feel tarred undeservedly.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!? Sep 5, 2014, 14:21 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 13:27:
1st world problems

And yet here you are. Posting.

Isn't there a soup kitchen that needs staffing? Or African charities that need money raised?

8961 Comments. 449 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo