Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12732 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Co-op Trailer
6. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Co-op Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 02:32 jdreyer

Parias wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 22:55:
So this has full campaign co-op play? Hell, I'll definitely be playing this then -- I can't recall the last CoD game that actually had campaign co-op (I don't think any of them did). It's about fucking time.

Coop campaign is pretty interesting actually. MW2 had coop missions that were tons of fun, and they all came from the campaign, but they were just one-offs.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Co-op Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Co-op Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 21:42 jdreyer

I was going to watch this because "Ooo, pretty graphics and 'sploshuns!" when I asked myself, "Do I care," to which the answer was, "I don't care." Not watched.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 21:38 jdreyer

Microsoft is 'absolutely continuing to support Kinect.'

*Kinect last seen on the floor supporting uneven table leg*

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 17:13 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:41:
Hates ta say it buuuuut...

If that deer was in the south...it would already be in someone's pot or freezer...sorry, jus' sayin'

Deer are a nuisance animal in the northeast. Since killing all the wolves, the population exploded. Dad used to hunt them with his bow, and we'd have venison on occasion.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2015, 14:22 jdreyer

No middle finger emoji? Middlefinger  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 21:03 jdreyer

@ Ecthelion

I would argue New Order is a modern game by a large publisher that does it somewhat right. They made a whole game, and sold it for a reasonable price. There was no attempt to sell map packs or skins or weapons or any of the other stupid crap the big publishers pull these days. They made a stand-alone follow up less than a year later, again a full game.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2015, 14:56 jdreyer

I dunno, I thought she had a pretty strong case. Was a bit surprised when she lost, although it wasn't a slam dunk.

As for this ruling, sounds like the right one, given the recent court case against recovering expert witness fees.

Not sure why she's inspiring so much hate.

Live long, and prosper.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2015, 13:47 jdreyer

Obviously the deer is infected with the zombosis virus and, in short order, turn into a terrifying brain-eating monster. Gunnar's lucky he got away when he did. Zombie

Thanks for the pics Blue, very cool!

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 13:29 jdreyer

In the past devs made games to make a good game. Today, corporations make games to make money. It's really that simple, and it's obvious in the game design.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 02:10 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 00:30:

when the first 5 or 6 battlefie games launched without a singleplayer portion, no one batted an eyelash. now they include fully fleshed out 12 hour singleplayer experiences, and this is "piecemealing"?. Every game has shipped with around a dozen maps, and then DLC comes later, this goes back to 1942. and guess what? it goes back way longer than that! "why Valve really sold HL2 piecemeal, because they added opposing forces and blueshift after the fact!"

Older BF games didn't have SP campaigns, but you could still play them offline against bots. That was fun, either alone or with a friend co-op. All maps, all modes could be played that way. That has not been the case since BFBC2, where the multiplayer modes haven't included bots at all or allowed modders to make them. As for HL2, the expansions were created after the game sold well enough to justify it. They weren't planned from the start as a monetization strategy.

where is the line between how things have always been, and how studios work, and pure utter greed and corruption? There was a thread a week back talking about how evil studios are who hire and then fire employees when the game has shipped. EVERYONE got together and said how awful this practice is. i agree with this. you know what studios DON'T have to do that? ones that have CONSTANT WORK for their employees. What do you do with your amazing concept artists after the concept art is done and real production begins? you get them working on the NEXT PROJECT, keeping them employed. lol, how no one saw how black and white this is is beyond me. Hate on studios for delivering DLC, hate on them for not delivering DLC and instead letting half their staff go so they can work "piecemeal" on their next project. see what i did there?

This is a good point. I do of course want people to have steady work, but planned DLC isn't the only way to accomplish that. That being said, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with planned DLC if:

1. The DLC wasn't so stingy. Take the first COD:AW, Havoc. You get: 4 maps, zombies, 1 new gun. For $15.
2. The game supported modding. Then modders would have more tools to play with to come up with something great.
3. The DLC wasn't multiplayer only. Most online multiplayer games are riddled with cheaters, and the big studios rarely do anything about it.

A good customer experience is all about having options. These days they're shutting those options down, partly to save development costs, partly to force people toward additional for-pay products.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 00:05 jdreyer

I can agree with both Slick and Cutter on this issue, as strange as that sounds.

Certainly EA, Ubi, etc. are piecemealing their games and designing them to extract maximum cash. The focus is on what the company needs instead of providing a good customer experience. Delivering short unsatisfying single player experiences, delivering a limited number of multiplayer maps then selling additional map packs at exorbitant prices, not supporting mods so there's no competition to their DLC strategy, not spending the money on niche modes like bots, burdening them with oppressive DRM, etc. Games like The Witcher, Skyrim, and GTA are thus rightly lauded for proving you can create a great game without resulting to such tactics for the most part.

That being said, it's easier than ever to know what you're getting going in. Let's plays, previews, leaks, etc. etc. are easily searchable on the internet. If you don't like what they're selling, don't buy it. I haven't bought an Activision, EA, or Ubi game in years due to this, unless they're heavily discounted. But I'll pay closer to retail for games that do offer a good customer experience.

It's a shame, because a lot of those games we rail against have the foundation of something amazing.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 17, 2015, 21:51 jdreyer

Drone pilots are officers and still have to go through pilot training. Must suck to think you're gonna be living "Top Gun" only to find yourself a bit part on "Office Space."  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Trailer
4. Re: American Truck Simulator Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 21:31 jdreyer

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
I've driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
I've driven the back roads, so I wouldn't get weighed

I wonder if they're licensing actual trucks. That blue one looked like a Peterbilt 379.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
44. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 17, 2015, 13:19 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 19:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:59:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 10:10:
Looks appalling. What's with the 2004 era graphics?

You get what you pay for. Amazing graphics cost 10s of millions of dollars.

I watched the video and the graphics are fine. Every graphics style is not the same.

People are becoming shallow as a mud puddle on a slightly rainy day.

Yeah, I wasn't making a critical judgement, just pointing out the reality of what it takes to make something look as amazing as the new Battlefront. I thought the graphics were pretty good in the KS vid myself. Especially for a KS'd game, which are usually pixel art or whatever.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
43. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 17, 2015, 13:10 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 21:52:

go jerk off into your dreamcast

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Announced
3. Re: Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Announced Jun 17, 2015, 04:30 jdreyer

Any game that let's me take pot shots at VC in my Huey AC 1 Aircobra is okay in my book.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed
16. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed Jun 17, 2015, 04:28 jdreyer

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 03:22:

Hi. It's fun for some of us to play a "space sim". It involves flying around. It may be "boring as fuck" but it is what makes us happy.

Edit: And, honestly, even if this game or others like it fail, it shows a huge interest in space sims. That makes me happy. I empty your half empty piss beer and fill it with good quality stuff and toast to space sim prosperity.

So you'd be happy if you could just fly around and visit places and do nothing else? Cutter's point is valid: where's the game?

Live long, and prosper.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2015, 03:39 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 19:19:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 15:37:
BMI is quick and dirty, but flawed as you point out. Body fat % is much more accurate. Do you know yours? I run and weight train a several hours a week but at 5'10/180, I could lose a few pounds. I would look and feel a lot better at 160.

BMI and body fat don't take body type into account either. It's all going to be different if you're an ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph. I'm the latter, so at 6' I'm currently 225 - and I definitely need to drop those 25lbs - but even when I'm around 200 people still consider me linebacker type big. Short of starving myself and running marathons daily I doubt I could ever get down 180 again much less 160. Shit, I was about 180 in high school when I was playing football, rugby, etc. and that was actually a solid 180.

Right, I'm actually against goal weights. You should eat healthy and exercise moderately, and if you do, your weight will come naturally into equilibrium for your body type. I generally do, but I drink a beer or two at night several nights a week, and those extra cals have added 20 pounds over the past decade. If I stopped that, I'd drop back down.

The problem is most people do not eat healthily, nor do they exercise. Thus my suggestions to help guide and encourage them to do so.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer
26. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 03:23 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 21:35:
EA has already announced an "aggressive DLC plan" for SW Battlefront. This is going to include...

An “aggressive” DLC plan is also in place, with five content packs, each containing at least three maps as well as characters from The Force Awakens.

So... at the barest minimum a premium pass for $60 is confirmed by that and the big question here is will premium even cover all of the DLC content? Or does "aggressive" mean that maybe you'll only get three content packs as part of premium and will have to pay extra for the last two? You know, or maybe they will introduce an extra "elite pass" (above premium) or some shit like that, like, $60 for premium and $80 for elite.

Remember this is EA. They will find some way to fuck gamers over. But you go right ahead and preorder please, Slick. It will at least be funny as hell to listen to the profanity-laden rants from people like you who parted with $120+ when (not if) the game turns out to be the expected garbage.

I fucking love it. Now map packs only include 3 maps instead of 4 for your $15. So instead of 4 DLCs containing 16 maps for $60, you'll get 5 DLCs containing 15 maps for $75 dollars. And you'll still have fewer maps than UT or most other shooters ship with at launch. Pretty soon DLC will be $15 per map. Mark my words.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed
12. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed Jun 17, 2015, 02:21 jdreyer

Jackplug wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 01:36:
I saw this a while ago and thought it wouldnt get to where it is now, but after watching the video I am greatly impressed on how far its looks to have come on.

This is how elite should of been.

Elite is very much focused on other things. The ships and stations in E:D are much more detailed and "realistic." The graphics in NMS are much more simplistic, for example. There is a robust mission system set up in E:D that we haven't seen at all in NMS. Instead they made things with less fidelity but greater scope, like landing on planets.

Live long, and prosper.

12732 Comments. 637 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo