Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11633 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Two Free Evolve Maps Coming
20. Re: Two Free Evolve Maps Coming Mar 14, 2015, 20:39 jdreyer

MajorD wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 19:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 18:53:
Accurate.

That is classic and beautifully hits true on so many points. Thanks for sharing.

Fuck that's the tenth time I've watched some iteration of that guy, and I'm still bursting into stitches. So funny.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
119. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 14, 2015, 20:35 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 23:11:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 13:38:
I wonder if Squadron 42 will have any FPS segments. That would be cool.
It will. The idea is that it will basically show off all the different game mechanics, while providing a compelling narrative. The Shubin Mining Station alone is six kilometres in size, one of the largest indoor environments in the game.

That is really awesome to hear. I think they're doing an excellent job with the world building for this game, so I'm excited to play through a campaign in it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
45. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 14, 2015, 20:32 jdreyer

Another day, another 10K. Now trending to $1.1M. Doesn't look like they'll make funding at this rate.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
67. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 20:29 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 12:36:
wow did not know city builders were so popular. i always thought simcity was niche at best, but whodathunk it was more popular than trolling star citizen, at least in terms of comments.
Well, the current SC thread has about twice as many comments. Just sayin'

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
66. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 20:28 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 12:11:
915,450 965,545 Dota 2
531,368 534,086 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
81,158 81,158 Team Fortress 2
71,814 75,607 PAYDAY 2
56,591 56,591 Football Manager 2015
51,329 51,329 Cities: Skylines
50,814 50,814 Sid Meier's Civilization V
47,648 47,648 Garry's Mod
40,711 40,711 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
28,315 30,147 Counter-Strike

That's pretty major. The rest of the games on that list are institutions.

What is that list? Hours played in the past week?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
14. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 20:23 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 18:54:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 17:51:
Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:52:
bad developers abusing the system

BTW, I went and read the comments where you got banned. I'm not going to say you deserved it, but given how over the top you went in your post (Godwin's law in 1) I can't say I'm surprised that the outcome. Even relative to your posts here it was pretty acerbic.

And as I stated, there are few things that bother me as much as censorship - something they practice freely - so yeah I was justifiably pissed at that point. The fact they banned me only further reinforces my point. The fact that Steam wouldn't even reply to my complaint only further reinforces that point as well.

They're simply too monolithic now. And the regional bullshit is just so anti-consumer. And that *really* gets on my tits as well. So yeah, let's hope we start seeing some actual real competition to Steam or at least devs not buying into their bullshit. And the upside is they won't have to give Valve 30 points either.
I'm genuinely curious: how do you reconcile your hatred for censorship with your liberal use of the ignore function on Blues?

As for Valve being monolithic, you can do something about it: buy games on other services.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 14, 2015, 20:18 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:47:
Looks interesting. But I also worry it might be too ambitious, covering base building, ship combat, away team combat, etc. I worry about a "jack of all trades, master of none" scenario, where it might cover all the bases (barely) but could it cover them all and have each one be fun?

I'll keep an eye on it. If they can pull it off, it could be awesome. But it also looks like it could be a challenge for them.

Not sure what the problem could be. Worked great for Brutal Legend and Spore.

Anyway, it's funded so we'll find out eventually if they pulled it off. I'm turned off by the 8-bit graphics anyway, so it had better be something pretty special for me to pick it up (like FTL).

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 14, 2015, 20:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:15:
Is this a joke? They've certainly covered all the buzzwords and phrases in the industry.

In their defense, they used neither "MMO" or "Free to play."

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
28. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 20:15 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 18:22:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 17:04:
I think it has more to do with Steam's monopoly position. Unlike the ISP market there's lots of competition.

Lots of ISP competition? Since when? Maybe you don't live in the US where the ISPs divide up cities and agree not to compete.

You misread me: Unlike the ISP market, there is lots of competition (in the digital games download market).

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
15. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Mar 14, 2015, 20:13 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 19:02:
Is it a game yet?

Not sure if referring to Star Citizen or X-Rebirth.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2015, 19:29 jdreyer

THE ORDER 1886 (Honest Game Trailers).

That was really funny.

Also, there was a DMC commercial that played right before the HGT vid. Loved that they used that they used a song from The Lost Boys soundtrack for that: arguably the movie that started the "cool vampire" trend. One of my favorite movies when I was a kid. Also, the entire soundtrack is amazing.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 19:39.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2015, 19:24 jdreyer

Study Finds There Are Too Many Studies.

And yet these guys found the need to add one more to the pile.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 14, 2015, 19:21 jdreyer

12 times when texting is a terrible idea.

They forgot this one.

I will say that the last one is pretty funny. Autocomplete fails FTW.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 14, 2015, 19:17 jdreyer

Joss wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 18:27:
“Google Fiber is a bit like Ebola: very scary and something to be taken seriously..." -Craig Moffett

Can't wait for some Google Fiber! Looking forward to the day I can tell Comcast to suck it!

The analogy is true in another way too. Like Ebola, Google fiber showed up in just a few locations in the US and then spread to nowhere else. At its current rate of growth it will be a threat to Comcast and TWC in around the year 2142.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2015, 18:45 jdreyer

Why must we have characters in games at all? Or, more gently put, why have we assumed that the only or primary path to video-game diversity and sophistication lies in its representation of individuals as opposed to systems and circumstances? In truth, we’ve all but abandoned the work of systems and behaviors in favor of the work of individuals and feelings. And perhaps this is a grievous mistake.

I disagree that it's an either/or proposition. As a strategy fan, my race/sex/orientation are completely irrelevant. There is no avatar of me in the game when I'm playing SupCom or SimCity or GalCiv. And I love those kinds of games first and foremost, not because I don't have an avatar, but because I love the idea of influencing the system and trying to affect the outcome of it: to "win." And we've hardly abandoned the work of systems and behaviors as evidenced by all the great games coming out: Paradox games, Skylines, Grey Goo, etc.

That being said, I also love games like Skyrim and Mass Effect. And you have pretty much complete control in those games how you fashion your avatar. We want to escape into and "live" in worlds that are fantasy. And to live in them we need to be represented ourselves, and see others of our likeness represented so that we can relate. And games continue to improve in this way year after year, offering not only greater diversity in ethnic, gender, and oriented characters, but also in telling stories that involve them. It has never been a better time to be a gamer from this perspective.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2015, 18:31 jdreyer

Squirmer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 18:05:
Very sophisticated counter arguments from the Blues readers here.

Well, obviously because I haven't entered the conversation yet.

Live long, and prosper.

10. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 17:51 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:52:
bad developers abusing the system

BTW, I went and read the comments where you got banned. I'm not going to say you deserved it, but given how over the top you went in your post (Godwin's law in 1) I can't say I'm surprised that the outcome. Even relative to your posts here it was pretty acerbic.

Live long, and prosper.

9. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 17:46 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:44:
Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:14:
Steam is DRM. No, what they should be doing is offering a stand alone - or via GOG - Steam/DRM free edition instead. In fact everyone needs to start doing that. I'm pretty tired of Steam and their shitty policies and lack of CS.

Steam is DRM but its benefits far outweigh its downsides. Cloud saves, automatic updates, achievements, trading cards, one-click installs, leaderboards, matchmaking... buying and playing a game on Steam is usually more convenient and productive than playing a pirated copy.

Not to mention that time has a cost. Steam is so convenient, and prices often so low that it just makes sense to spend a few bucks to save a few hours.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
17. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 17:42 jdreyer

gravity wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 17:28:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 17:00:
350 games and counting and no need yet for customer service (fingers crossed). Can anyone give some examples of how bad it can be?

Look, I'm not a Valve fanboy, but I'm not blind to the fact that there are lots of complaints about people not being able to get games running at all - or being locked completely out of their huge libraries (permanently, for questionable infractions I mean) seems a bit harsh.

I think Origin did take the right approach with the "love it or refund it," approach. I don't see how that wouldn't be hard or unfeasible for Valve to implement, as well.

Re: Quote; I agree. I haven't had a single problem with Steam, ever, and I've been on there since 2003, I think?

Right, and that was my comment about the ISPs. Unlike that market, you have a choice of where to buy your games these days: Steam, GoG, Origin, Direct2Drive, Humble, etc. (I have many games on each of these). If Steam doesn't improve, they will lose customers. I'm heartened to hear that Origin offers superior customer service, given that EA often gets lambasted for its other practices.

2003, eh? You must have been one of the first people on it! I joined when I got the Orange box, probably 2005-6?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
10. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Mar 14, 2015, 17:38 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:31:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:28:
Also crappy timing for space fans since X series also is having a free weekend.
All these free game samplers coming out! Also, I got the code to work since I needed to activate my account. I can't play it since I need to buy a ship and a newer system (crazy!).

Whatever. I am enjoying old Red Faction: Guerilla free weekend so far.

If you're jonesing for a space game, the X series is having a free weekend. Any of the X3 (Terran Conflict, Reunion, Albion Prelude)games are pretty good and were made many years ago so should run on an older system. I've not played it, but everyone says skip Rebirth.

Live long, and prosper.

11633 Comments. 582 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo