Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8974 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 20:30 jdreyer

Well, Piranha was deleting every post that wasn't glowing with praise. Reddit isn't some glorified Piranha forum proxy. They should have been banned.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 10, 2014, 20:24 jdreyer

It sounds like folks are eating up the hype, and Destiny will sell plenty. It doesn't float my boat, but plenty of folks here have had good things to say about it.  

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
158. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 20:21 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:03:

If Notch does sell I hope he makes them overpay like hell because they will ruin that thing within 5 years.

I think we've established that $2B is over paying.

157. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 20:20 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 18:37:
NewMaxx wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 18:27:
Those talking about LEGO are probably referring to the recent news article...

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/20/lego-fusion

The thing is, Lego can do that. Minecraft isn't Legos. Minecraft is exploring. And building some super complex things, sure, but that's damn near hacking a system that's both very limited and cleverly powerful.

Like, a true Lego game could combine Minecraft and Kerbel.

The question is, why DIDN'T they? Like 3 years ago? It's not like Notch could patent the idea of a building game. I'm honestly surprised that almost no decent copies of MC have come out yet. It's been around for over 5 years now.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 17:59 jdreyer

Problem:
Home-cooked family dinners: A major burden for working mothers.

Solution:
Awesome pancakes. Thanks reddit via HuffPo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 17:43 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:10:
The article on cooking is interesting but I feel like people in general (not working mothers alone) just make excuses for not eating well or don't make an effort to learn how. You can eat very cheap and still get fresh produce, you just have to make sacrifices on meal variety during the week. If you want to have something different at every single meal every day of the week then that is going to be pricey if you eat fresh. I cook my lunches for most of the week in a big batch and just change up the sides a bit to give it more variety. The woman raising her kids in a hotel room is heartbreaking but even then a little ingenuity goes a long way.

Eating well does not have to be expensive, time consuming or stressful. People get too caught up in trying to be inventive every single meal or worry about suiting everyones taste.

Or you could just get Solyent.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 10, 2014, 17:26 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:54:
I don't watch much NFL but blackout rules in general need to die.

Yeah, even as a non-follower I thought that was incredibly scummy and greedy. At the very least that kind of profit scrounging should make their tax exempt status null and void.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 17:24 jdreyer

garrywong wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:47:
Blue, it's be nice if you included some form of notice that articles are fake for those not too quick on the uptake.

Which article are you referring to? The "living on Google campus" story is on BBC and Reuters, so if it's a fake, it's fooled the major news orgs.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 16:43 jdreyer

Tomorrow's laptops could dock and charge without a single wired connection.

Is it just me, or does the thought of having a 100 watt magnetic induction field sitting on the desk a few feet from my nads for 8 hours a day make anyone else nervous?

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
10. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 16:40 jdreyer

The reason MWO got the money it did via crowdfunding was due to all the nostalgia for the MW franchise, even though that nostalgia was for a single player campaign-style game, not for an online-only free to play game. Transverse has none of that nostalgia, thus no money coming in. Shouldn't that have been obvious?  

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
9. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 16:26 jdreyer

Task wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:22:
Lol... wing commander online. It would have a had a bad matchmaker and you would have had to pay 500 bucks for a golden Hellcat V.
I know, right? Could you imagine paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a virtual space ship?? Who would even try to sell that? And who would be stupid enough to pay!??

I can tell you all why the ships look like SC. Bryan Ekman, one of the head honcho's of PGI, admitted buying a 1,000+ dollar package for SC. Now I know what he's being doing for the last 6-9 months, using his login credentials to have his team login and check out the SC assets and site.
Yeah, the resemblance was apparent from the first frame. Not that hey needed to buy into SC. They just needed to watch the videos. My opposition to this game isn't that they want to make it. It's with the pricing model, they online-only, MP-only, and other choices have no interest in.

117. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 16:16 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 16:07:
The biggest difference, though, is that Pokemon has characters. Minecraft has no Pikachu. That makes it harder to really monetize outside the game world.
But not impossible. Let's be honest, a live action Minecraft movie staring The Rock and some kids is probably a half a million dollar idea.

But Minecraft has Steve! And zombies! It's a good point about few cute characters, although those baby jaguars are adorable. My 12 yr old daughter loves MC, as does my son. Her fav T-shirt his her MC t-shirt, and I'm sure she'd be bugging me for more products if they had them. There's so much more you could do beyond t-shirts and foam pickaxes. Like you say, a movie (I think you meant to say "BILLION"). How about a theme park? Or velcro or magnetized cubes so you could build your own landscapes? Minecraft furniture?

114. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 16:05 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:02:
I bet 1 billion dollars that this is going to be their primary application to sell a new 3d headset and glove for the 2015 Christmas cycle.

I'd be surprised to see Microsoft double down on peripherals after how Kinect went to be honest.

It makes sense though. I've watched MC 3D vids on Google Cardboard. The game is great as it is, but to suddenly be INSIDE the structures you designed and created elevates it to that next level. To say nothing of a MC2 with better resolution and less blockiness (something my 7 year old has commented on).

112. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 16:01 jdreyer

Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:49:
Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:30:
Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:21:
I'd argue that it is, if not more. Go to any grade school and ask for a raise of hands on who likes Minecraft and I bet nearly all those little hands go up. My kids, and all their little friends. They live and breathe this game..

We have a 6 year old and I have yet to encounter anyone (parent or child) playing or mention Minecraft around here. So yeah anecdotes and all that. Besides, the casual market is fickle and unpredictable, everyone loved Justin Bieber not too long ago.

It is, I think, the third highest selling game of all time? Is that right? Or was it second? But either way far more than any pokemon game and it's barely started on the merch. Cards and board games will hit the market next. Let's not pretend it isn't a enormous, massive success. I'd wager my ancedotal evidence is better than yours.

Minecraft has sold 55 million copies. Pokemon as a franchise has sold five times that: 260 million copies. It will be interesting to see if MS tries to monetize MC the way Pokemon was monetized, and if they can reach the same heights. The potential is certainly there.

111. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:57 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:43:
Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:39:
Is there anyone in the world besides maybe the Pope and the Dhali Lama who would say no to 2 billion dollars?

The Pope, seriously? He'd sell out for fifteen bucks.

Meh, maybe the last pope. The current one looks like he's walking the walk.

107. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:50 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:36:
Minecraft is already done. It was a one hit wonder. Period. Notch has nothing else to bring to the table. He's basically sold what? 50+ million copies at $20 a pop? So in what universe will you ever see that replicated again? Nowhere is where. I could understand if they were dumb enough to pay 100 million for it - and they would be dumb at this point - but 2 billion? It is but to laugh. If I was an MS shareholder - which I never would have been with Ballmer heading things up - I'd sure as hell be dumping my stock now if this is where Nutella is going with the company.

Maybe, but think of it from OUR perspective. Would you rather have that $2B in Notch's hands or in Micro$oft's hands? Would you rather have that $2B in Palmer Luckey's hands, or in Facebook's hands?

106. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:55:

Free with Windows, only on Microsoft systems (Windows, WP, Xbox). Every young kid will want his next device to run Windows.

Make Minecraft exclusive on mobile to Windows Mobile?

104. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:36 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:49:
2B for what? 1 game? And the stupidity at MS continues unabated.

Well, one game, AND a full neural scan of Notch to be uploaded onto MS servers where it will reside and design new products for them.

103. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

UHD wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:20:
If someone offered to buy my one-trick-pony company for $2 billion I'd be hard-pressed to say "no" no matter how attached I was. God damn.

I could start a new company with that money, no blackjack or hookers needed.

Maybe not needed, but once you have $2B you'd have plenty to spend on those things.

101. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:26 jdreyer

BitWraith wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:55:
Tough decision? No one turns down 2 BILLION DOLLARS. No one.

He could retire, wait until his non-compete clause is up (I'm sure there will be one), and then start some other game company with the Minecraft monkey off his back. Hell still have 1.9 billion in the bank.

These deals almost always require the current management to stay on for a number of years. Two is typical. Sometimes more.

8974 Comments. 449 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo