Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 14660 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 02:52 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 02:35:
Just to let ya'll know David Bowie passed, just read it.

Yeah, my wife just told me. Bigcry 69 seems way too young these days.

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 11, 2016, 01:26 jdreyer

Shok wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 23:27:
Grim Dawn has its hooks in me. Excellent game I picked up in the steam Xmas sale due to someone recommending it here. Started playing a few days ago and time has ceased to matter to me in the only way a pooter game can do that.

How does it compare to others in the genre: D3, TL2, PoE?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 11, 2016, 01:25 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 00:25:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 17:41:
At this point. who already doesnt own CSGO?

Lottsa people. I played CS religiously for years. When I was done that was it. They could give me CSGO and I wouldn't go back. It was great while it lasted but it's time to move along.

And maybe Trevor doing those Old Spice ads rekindled interest in GTA5?

Yeah, I played CS for a spell 15 years ago with a buddy of mine that had been in the military. It was good fun when I was younger, but been done for a while now. I went and looked in my Library half expecting CS:GO to be there as so often happens when I go to buy something during a sale and find I already own it. I guess I just haven't had the hankering for any CS.

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2016, 16:45 jdreyer

Just as long as you're not dead, Blue. If you was dead, I'd have to kill ya.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Roadmap
1. Re: Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Roadmap Jan 10, 2016, 02:52 jdreyer

I had some fun with Don't Starve when it first came out. All I really wanted to do was tool around and build shit, but the game has other ideas and you die pretty quickly. Haven't been back in a couple of years, but it's interesting that there seems to be enough interest that they keep expanding it.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 10, 2016, 02:50 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 22:29:
Besides, anyone who leaves their screen (no matter if OLED or LCD or whatever) running for days without a screensaver or a sleep function is a dumbfuck who deserves the word DUMBFUCK to get burnt right into the middle of the fucking screen so it works like a reminder.

That cracked me up.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video
29. Re: Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video Jan 10, 2016, 02:45 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 03:09:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 23:33:
I miss Far Cry's 2's map, ya know the thing you had to pull out and look at.

Yeah, they should just have you pull out a stone tablet with a map carved on it. Each time you discover a new place, you carve it into the map. Maybe they could make a map-carving mini game!

So, an iStone? Who knew Apple had been around that long?

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2016, 20:08 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 17:28:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 17:14:
I keep getting redirected to bullshit garbage adware sites when accessing Blue's from my iPhone. It started today. Usually takes me 3 tries to actually read the site instead of the browser jumping to an ad for a Kim Kardashian game or "you've maybe won an iPhone 6s!". Been checking the site quite a bit today to see if it's stopped. Nope. Still doing it as of the time of me writing this.

I don't' get them frequently (maybe one a week), but when it does happen, it redirects me an app download on the itunes store.

Been happening on my Galaxy occasionally too, so don't think you Apple guys are special. I have to kill the browser and reload in order to get to Blues when it happens.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 9, 2016, 19:28 jdreyer

Yeah, looking forward to when OLED monitors are ubiquitous and reasonably priced.  

Live long, and prosper.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 14:08 jdreyer

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:08:
Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

The irony being that most of A New Hope is direct homage to older works too. The Flash gordon series, old westerns and japanese films... there isn't a single original thought in any of these movies so stop pretending like the original trilogy was the most innovative thing ever written.

The hero's journey is the same in every hero journey movie, so what? Sure there are a few similar plot settings and ideas but TFA stands up just fine as it's own movie.

First of all, that's stupidly reductive and can be applied to any movie.

Second, we're not only complaining that it's the same story, but in the same fucking locations, with the same shots, same dialog, same characters, and full of stupid on-the-nose references to the previous trilogy, and cramming basically the original trilogy into one movie.

Yes, like Tarantino and others Lucas borrowed heavily, but he combined it all into something unique and original. And he gave us some totally batshit insane stuff no one had ever seen before - lightsabers, star destroyers, sandcrawlers, death stars, the force, etc. Paying homage is a fine line, and Abrams crossed it. TFA suffers from the uncanny valley effect: such a close copy of the original but not quite matching up such that it inspires revulsion.

This is an awful trend we've seen recently, and each movie following this path has been pretty terrible: ST: Into Darkness, Terminator: Genesys, Jurassic World. These are rich universes with their own lore, there are a million untold stories there. There's no need to re-tell that which has been told already by switching a few names and genders.

Help me Rian Johnson, you are my only hope.

Live long, and prosper.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 13:51 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 10:04:
You guys sound like the SC fanboys protecting SC. Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

And the parts that aren't the same are for the worse, like (I guess I should use spoiler tags) Rey's unbelievable rise to master Jedi, and Finn not getting his head chopped off by Ren, and the Falcon just happening to be on Jakku and flyable, and Han Solo just sauntering by, and R2 waking up, and Poe actually not dead.

Live long, and prosper.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 01:38 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 18:18:
I keep trying to figure out where a stormtrooper defects and joins the rebellion in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

I keep trying to figure out where Luke goes from desert planet bumpkin to defeating Darth Vader in a light saber battle in a single day in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 7, 2016, 14:00 jdreyer

No backdoors for the Dutch? That wasn't my experience in Amsterdam.

Live long, and prosper.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 13:26 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:21:
Least Avatar had a better story.

I know, right? That story was pretty derivative itself, but not anywhere near TFA.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2016, 13:22 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 11:04:
741 ....
At that price in EU it's dead before it even launched. For reference, a bleeding edge 6GB 980TI costs 680 to 709 here...

Massively bummed on that price.. that is actually insanely expensive for a gadget you might not actually be able to physically use, and you won't know until you tried..
Yeah, bummed about the price. $400 I could go for. $500 is pushing it. But $600 is just too much. I was really hoping to get one of these this year.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 12:48 jdreyer

"Force" Overtakes "Avatar" At U.S. Box-Office.

It's as if millions of Na'vi voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were silenced.

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 12:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 09:52:
Out of curiosity, are the auto-play YouTube ads messing with anyone else's system? I'll be typing, then discover that entire chunks of words, or even sentences, never made it to the browser. At first I thought it was only when I had multiple Blues tabs open (and I often will), but it seems to happen when I even have just one.

I've been having issues with autoplay vids on my PC (no vids on mobile though) for several months now. Usually causes either a mem leak or tanks the JS so it crashes. It would be really bad if I opened multiple Blues windows. In the past I'd have a dozen open, but these days only 2 or 3 at a time. And pausing the ads doesn't work since they just restart after a minute. That being said, it has been much better the past month or so, mostly banner ads and fewer vids.

I did get auto-redirected on mobile last week. It was nasty, I had to kill the browser and restart. But that was a rare case.

Blue must be doing something right now b/c I don't see any ads at all.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 12:23 jdreyer

Let 'em have it boys!  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2016, 23:46 jdreyer

I wonder how to get Netflix with a ton of Japanese content.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
32. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 13:21 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:48:
PunkiBastardo wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:32:
Oh my, I just saw the European price is 699 + 50 shipping. We got really screwed by exchange rates this time.

Really? Try Canada where this is $850 + $100. Hahaha! Yeah, looks like you're not going to see a lot of adoption in Canada anytime soon. And it's really cheap and uncomfortable looking to boot. Look at the headphones! Totes ghetto.

Well he promised they wouldn't sell out preorders. He's just holding true to his word!

Live long, and prosper.

14660 Comments. 733 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo