Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8167 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 20:59 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 20:35:
As soon as I saw "play as gay or straight" I immediately knew I wouldn't play at all.

I can't stand that shit -- I don't play video games to live out relationship fantasies. Now hardcore sex video games, that might be funny for awhile...

I really don't understand why you're offended. The game offers you a choice, but you're offended by the choice because you're not one of the options? So you won't play a game that lets you play as a man or a woman because you're not a woman?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2014, 20:08 jdreyer

Cops Raid Gamer Live On Twitch…

1. Seriously, the militarization of the police has got to go.

2. More seriously, the authorities have got to come down hard on swatters. That shit ain't cool.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 20:07 jdreyer

Heroes Rise: HeroFall

A game about a hero on a trampoline.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 11, 2014, 20:05 jdreyer

I suppose it was inevitable that teh pr0n industry would go mainstream. They're a $14B industry, just a bit smaller than the gaming industry itself.  

News Comments > 75 New Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 75 New Steam Greenlights Jul 11, 2014, 20:02 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 16:08:
We Are The Dwarves might be good.

Yeah, when Blue posted that trailer the other day it looked like it had potential.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2014, 15:51 jdreyer

The genre-defining video games we forgot.

This video is a bit all over the place, but here are some of the games discussed:

Wolfenstein 3D: Hardly forgotten. We had a Wolf game come out last month. This was the first FPS I ever played. I was so startled I fell out of my chair when I encountered my very first Nazi and he shot me.

Alone in the Dark: Classic horror adventure game. Great memories playing the crap out of this one.

Ultima Underworld Stygian Abyss: I never played this one, but it's legendary.

Pong: I think this is the first home game system I ever played. My grampa had one in 1980.

Space War: Used to play this in the '80s on the mainframe at university. Many hours wasted that should have been spent programming.

He also talks about 3D platformer Bubsy and the original Legend of Zelda.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2014, 15:13 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:54:
LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:41:
So you guys are fine with spying and controlling people's freedom of speech? Stop listening to the media and start researching. For example, the democrats are putting up a bill that would hurt the first amendment rights of everyone! Stop seeing groups--republican versus democrat-- and start seeing what these politicians are trying to do with the words they use, the bills they put up, and the actions they take. I trust very few of them and to be honest, if you still see yourself as a democrat or republican and are party loyal, you are too ignorant to vote.

What does this post have to do with anything said here?

I think he's trying to make a comment on the NSA leaks? There is a good point in here: both parties supported the spying (what they knew of it) until the hew and cry from the public arose. And both parties are beholden to corporate interests, although I think one of them moreso.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2014, 14:56 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 13:43:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 12:48:
Have there really been so many meth labs that that's something to worry about?

Well, considering that shit seeps into the walls, I'd want to know before I lived there...

Gives the phrase "contact high" new meaning.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 13:10 jdreyer

FCC Republican says net neutrality rules too “onerous” for ISPs.

Given that the ISPs are struggling to make payroll and are on the brink of bankruptcy, I completely agree.

Oh, wait. I forgot that cable companies are up to 97% profitable. So cry me a freakin' river.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 12:54 jdreyer

Given that so much secrecy is to cover up incompetence and wrongdoing, I welcome these new leaks.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2014, 12:48 jdreyer

Have there really been so many meth labs that that's something to worry about?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 04:27 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 01:33:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 00:38:
Xbox One $40 Off.

XB1 for $360. Get it? Desperation, thy name is Microsoft.

This is more likely Desperation, thy name is eBay.
Google changed their search algorithms a few weeks ago, and it cut eBay's traffic by something along the lines of 70%. At least it's traffic from eBay search, which is a huge chunk of their traffic.

To compensate, they've been seeding ridiculous deals with their top vendors. If you want a cheap tablet, go to eBay first. Their tablet deals have been destroying everyone else.

Good point, and nice tip.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 00:49 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 22:52:
LittleMe wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 21:28:
While the concept of net neutrality seems complex, the solution is simple: We should classify broadband access as a utility.

And that will solve all our problems! Not!

The actual solution is more competition. The article even admits the big telcos have thwarted competition.

The only way we're going to see competition in this market is if the last mile is not controlled by a monopoly or duopoly the way it is now.

The government should run it, like the roads. Or they should be very, very heavily regulated monopolies like the electric company. This kind of heavy infrastructure doesn't lend itself to competition in the traditional sense, like making cars or potato chips.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 00:46 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 21:36:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 19:23:
The public didn't support the police's plan to chemically induce an erection in a teen and then take pictures of it? Guess they'll just have to label him a terrorist so they can do whatever they want.

How do things like this get so far without someone saying "whoa, hold on guys, what the heck are we doing?"

Horny teenagers will do stupid things, sexting is a world away from what these laws as designed for as I understand it.

I'm glad common sense prevailed. Seriously, what were these idiots thinking??! Thank the internet that this went viral:

Manassas City Manager Patrick Pate acknowledged Thursday that the department and the city had been fielding irate calls from across the country and internationally after the story broke.

I've read hundreds of comments on various sites on this. There's not a single one supporting the government position. Usually with controversial cases, you'll get a few taking the crazy side playing devil's advocate. Not this one though.

Like Beam said, the law needs to be changed. Hard to changes sex laws in prudish USA though.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 00:38 jdreyer

Xbox One $40 Off.

XB1 for $360. Get it? Desperation, thy name is Microsoft.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2014, 23:43 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 22:53:
Funny, I finished the Handmaid's Tale about 30 seconds ago.
It did not feel 30 years old.

Probably because it feels like the world and society is moving in a more dystopian direction.

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 23:39 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 20:00:

The bottom line is we need the laws updated.

*sigh* Yeah.

Thanks for your perspective. As someone who has actually been to school for and worked in the law, your point of view always adds knowledge to the discussion.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 10, 2014, 20:44 jdreyer

Say what you will about Inman, but this whole Tesla Museum thing was a fantastic idea.  

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 18:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 13:32:
I agree he's being overly aggressive, but when you have a parent in your office arguing sexual assault, you do not have leeway. If the parent goes to the media and says her child was sexually harassed and you did nothing, well, it doesn't matter what the truth is, that's a headline the media is running with.

I dunno. I've seen this bandied about on several blogs/sites and read hundreds of comments on this case. I have yet to see a single one supporting this action. This could backfire badly on the prosecutor. Prosecutors have limited resources. There are ways of delaying, settling, making deals, etc. But they're going full bore with this. Since the girl started it with a sext, I'm surprised the parents of the boy haven't taken revenge. Commendable on their part I suppose.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak
26. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 18:39 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 17:29:
There is no way the game flops. Its going to be a huge international hit and make millions upon millions of dollars.

I played Nexon's Combat Arms, another free to play military style fps for a couple of years. It was great fun. It still has a ton of players. Nexon knows what they are doing in the Free to Play Market. They have a variety of games and make a bucket ton of money.

Cliffy knows how to make a good FPS and is a great level designer. I wager Blue Streak will be a lot like Unreal Tournament old school. It will end up with a million players world wide Just wait and see.

I hope you're right. I don't wish for bad games. And regardless of what we think about Cliffy personally, he has talent. But Free to Play is like having a picnic under a nice shady tree on a beautiful summer day and a bird craps on the apple pie.

8167 Comments. 409 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo