Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9330 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 10, 2014, 15:50 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 15:30:
MajorD wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 14:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 10:52:

Of course it'll be hilarious if EA buys them.

GASP! I wouldn't find that funny whatsoever.

But I would find the following shit-storm very funny And it's not as absurd as it sounds. It's either gonna be Google, Apple or EA

Maybe Actiblizz? Hearthstone was written using Unity, wasn't it?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 10, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

The narcissism on display here is breathtaking. There are so many women that could be modeled after.

Although given the themes of GTA, maybe Lohan is spot on that they'd use her image as a representation of the game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 15:32 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 11:07:
There are other factors at work too. A lot of people at our company socialize over sporting events, golf is a big one with the executives for example. I hate golf but I play because its a good opportunity to further my career. Over the years there has been one woman who joins these outings and its no surprise that she has advanced further than her colleagues, much like I've advanced further than some of mine who don't go the extra mile. It's also hard to account for personality, proficiency and other factors. Different story across various industries too. Some are very progressive, others are still a boys club (finance is notorious for this).

Luckily where I work, no on golfs. They all drink. So it's something I'm willing to participate in and actually pretty good at!

Cheers

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 10:46:
I hate it when people take an issue and simplify down to one single variable. Women make less than man because... wait for it... sexism!!! Yep, the evil white man is once again sticking it to someone in his vileness. Let me try it their way. Violence is lower in the rural areas than in the cities. There are more cows in rural areas. Therefore, cows prevent crime!

Of course it's ridiculous, but so is looking at a multi-faceted issue such as gender pay gaps and boiling the cause down to it being simply due to women being women. The MS CEO wasn't inarticulate, he just answered it like a moron.

The issue is a complex one. Studies show that women are less aggressive in pursuing raises. Whether this is a cultural thing or genetic is still being studied, but it's my guess that it's a combo. I've seen women get massive increases when they came to work for us, but still be underpaid because they were so underpaid at their previous jobs.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 11:06:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 10:50:
I get a max automatic 3% yearly raise.
Lucky you.
Raise is a none existing thing where I work in the past 4-5 years

The solution obviously is to job hunt.

I hired a guy cheap at the bottom of the recession. He came in and did such a good job, that when I put him in for a 10% raise my boss bumped it to 15%. That was a few years ago, and the guy has continued to improve so I'm trying the same thing again. It can be done, but you have to have the culture for it and support from management. My boss said, "He shouldn't have to job hunt to get paid what he deserves."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2014, 15:23 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 14:57:
In a perfect world everybody would fucking love their job and strive to do it as best as possible on a daily basis. Rampant time wasting via the internet is a symptom, not a disease.

You mean there is a job out there that involves playing games and watching teh pr0n 40 hours a week???

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2014, 15:22 jdreyer

That article says Americans work 34.5 hours per week working, but the US Board of Labor Stats shows workers with children work 8.7 hours per day on average. Childless workers are expected to work even more. So, if you are already working 44 hours a week, but wasting 4 hours a week on the internet at work, it all works out!  

News Comments > RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC
18. Re: RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC Oct 10, 2014, 14:45 jdreyer

This looked awful from the trailers. Glad folks are validating that.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
57. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 03:13 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 20:09:
Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:28:
Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I'd stuff her like a turkey. I've wanted to boink her from the first time I saw her.

That is..pretty creepy. The 'dork from The Office' is funny and women like humor.

What's creepy about it? It's not like she's 12. She didn't even start appearing in movies and TV until she was 20.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2014, 00:34 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:22:
That's a long fucking way from a Holodeck.

Well, yeah, but that's 400 years from now. It's an interesting first step though. For better immersion, you'd have to dedicate a room.

Here's the scene from Minority Report that somewhat depicted a future version this.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2014, 00:27 jdreyer

Cloud Imperium is OK with Star Citizen's grey marketů

They'd better be okay with it, seeing as CJ already made a bundle selling his ships. Also, given how they're selling ships and making $10s of millions it would be pretty hypocritical of them to say anything else.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2014, 19:49 jdreyer

Elon Musk worries AI could delete humans along with spam.

AI would never do that. Humans just don't taste as good as spam.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 9, 2014, 19:48 jdreyer

Also, too: Where's my single player, first person mech game with 20 hour narrative, mission-based campaign with Oculus Rift support?

Now get off of my lawn!

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 9, 2014, 19:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:19:
If it will be free to play, why should I fund it?

That was my first thought. Why do people think they can KS free to play games? Especially MOBAs, a genre that gets regular derision from the very people that participate in kickstarters.

News Comments > Space Engineers Free Weekend
2. Re: Space Engineers Free Weekend Oct 9, 2014, 19:44 jdreyer

Lots of times these Free Weekends are multiplayer only. Is this playable for free single player? Hard to tell from the blurb.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
10. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 19:18 jdreyer

As a deepening crisis threatens to plunge the floating PC world of Cocoon into chaos, a band of unsuspecting strangers hackers find themselves branded enemies of the state Square. With the panicking population baying for their blood higher resolution, and the military all publisher not too happy to oblige, they have no choice but to run for their lives build a UI that runs command line changes. Join them on a desperate quest to challenge the forces controlling their fate, and prevent untold destruction.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 9, 2014, 16:03 jdreyer

Task wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 09:37:
That Camel will be a famous one.

Sweden is cool, is the short answer. Another thing they left out is that Sweden haven't been directly involved with a war since 1812, they have no war debt, which normally can stagnate innovation, growth, and the civilian market within a country (like the U.S.). Their government can then afford to assist with public funding in combination with decentralization, whether it be infrastructure (like fiber/cable), healthcare, and education. Other European countries have pretty good broadband as well, like Switzerland.

Yeah, I was really trying to cut on tea party types that are all "Murica Fuck yeah!" Sweden is a very progressive place. And very high on the happiness scale. A neat accomplishment for a country colder than a witch's tit.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 9, 2014, 14:10 jdreyer

From the article:

Since Adobe doesn't actually sell ebooks, this makes the slurping of the data very strange indeed. It's also a possible breach of the software's terms and conditions, which state:

"We will not access, view, or listen to any of your content, except as reasonably necessary to perform the Services. Actions reasonably necessary to perform the Services may include (but are not limited to) (a) responding to support requests; (b) detecting, preventing, or otherwise addressing fraud, security, unlawful, or technical issues; and (c) enforcing these terms."

Adobe says it simply has to log every page you turn to tackle piracy.

Which makes no since because they don't sell ebooks. Just software.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 9, 2014, 14:06 jdreyer

PC sales are starting to pick up again.

Now that everyone owns a tablet and realizes they're pretty limited, they're buying PCs again.

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
59. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 14:03 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:59:
I like that companies are at least being honest now letting us know about these things, like AC Unity having 900p/30fps/etc, instead of never saying anything only for us to discover these details after the games ship.

The solution to that is to play on PC. Even if the developer doesn't provide it, some enterprising modder will.

9330 Comments. 467 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo