Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 10075 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail
19. Re: Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail Dec 2, 2014, 14:24 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:16:
If Pete kept doing the type of games he was known for on the platform he did it best on, I'd be happy. Instead he sold out to consolized crap with fable and some mobile godus.

I have no interest in what he does at this point. Go full PC populous/dungeonkeeper/syndicate/B&W/magiccarpet/ or retire.

What was the last good game he did? I thought Fable 3 was awful.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail Dec 2, 2014, 14:23 jdreyer

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 13:31:
Flatline wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:44:
I have about 20 rather successful kickstarters under my belt, but then again I mainly have kickstarted board games. Usually by that point the mechanics are done or just about done and all that is needed is tweaking or balancing/polishing.

The only two software kickstarters I have backed are Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and Shadowrun Returns.

Technically I've recently backed the Twilight Struggle playdeck game, but in reality I dropped the 120 bucks I did on the extremely limited edition of TS that GMT is putting out.

Boardgames are really the ideal kickstarter product, and the complete opposite of videogames. Kickstarter is safest when the creative work is done, and you're just trying to get physical stuff made. With a boardgame, you're backing the very high probability that a factory in china can print a ton of cardboard and put it in a box. With a videogame, you're backing the very low probability that a particular group of people will invent and program an experience in a limited amount of time and that it will be fun.

It's a good point, but software projects for the most part have been successful, although probably not as successful as board games. It's when people try to KS hardware that they fall down. We've had a lot of mediocre or plain failed projects: Ouya, Pebble, Ring, myIDkey, Hanfree, OpenVizsla, Ringbow, Death Star, etc. etc.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2014, 13:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:25:
So if half of all workers are replaced by robots in the coming decade what does that mean for the economy? Who's going to buy shit when they have no money?

Just pass a law saying no one can work more than three days a week.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2014, 13:20 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 07:43:
Saw Interstellar on Sunday and was almost as bad as Prometheus. The one and only positive for me was the technology at least seemed like it's grounded in reality. The rest was too sappy to take seriously. It doesn't help that John Lithgow is the only actor in the movie I really like and he's way underused. Matthew McConaughey's been on a role the past few years with Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club and Killer Joe. I'll remember those movies and feel myself becoming a fan. Interstellar was entirely forgettable and unnecessary.

To anyone wanting to jump in with shit like "Oh you just didn't get it!". I loved 2001, 2010, Solaris, and Moon. Interstellar is nowhere near their league. This is closer to The Black Hole and Contact.

I could see why people wouldn't like Interstellar. It attempted to be both realistic and fantastical at the same time which could be hard to swallow. I didn't like Solaris for that very reason. Compared to Prometheus: at least in Interstellar, the characters make mostly logical realistic decisions that fit the circumstances. In Prometheus, decision after decision makes no sense given what is happening. It was so stupid that it made my brain hurt. Ridley Scott went full George Lucas.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2014, 12:42 jdreyer

Amazing Discovery Revealed in the 1999 Children's Movie 'Stuart Little'.

That is an extremely odd coincidence. Of all the paintings you might have in your set storage to buy that one and put it in the movie, and then have someone recognize it.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 12:29 jdreyer

Meh, I don't really understand this rant. People buying this crap know that they're just donating to the game. Anyone blowing $2500 on this stuff can most likely afford to do so. And as for this:

The game is paid for now.

I'm not sure that's the case. This is a massive game with a massive scope and massive team they keep adding to.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 12:21 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:10:
because they want them to sale

CIG could just as easily went and discounted the package

The game WILL NOT consumer the current budget

They got basically the SAME AMOUNT they asked for to even make the game

Holy hell, if you're going on a massive rant, at least use PROPER FUCKING ENGLISH. What the hell kind of Swahili nonsense is this?

You know it's bad when the guy correcting you didn't even learn English as a first language.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 12:17 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 11:22:
I don't understand why people keep throwing money at this game and I suspect they don't know the reason either.

Because, SPACE.

10. Re: Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail Dec 2, 2014, 12:11 jdreyer

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 11:23:
Looks like he's already out doing some fence mending.... ???

www.techradar.com

That last line says it all. We/I lied to sell it during the final days of the Kickstarter for Godus.

From the article:

"What I've learned is that doing Kickstarter and Steam Early Access, before you've got something which is defined and playable, is a hugely risky undertaking that can be very destructive to the final quality of the game," Molyneux told TechRadar.

I sympathize with this view. Lots of times you'll get going on something and realize it's just not feasible or fun or cost effective. And you've got to change or drop features. Thing is, he's no newbie. He's got 20 years in this industry, so this should have been easily foreseeable, and he should have sold the game in more vague terms. Or, as he mentions, done the KS much later when he had a working prototype and feature set more set in stone.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2014, 05:28 jdreyer

Gotta love how 3 years after the fact that Skyrim still makes the top seller when it goes on sale.

Picked up Child of Light. What a beautiful looking game.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2014, 04:59 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 02:47:
Welcome to the wonderful timeline paradoxes. Thats the problem with time travel, they break causality. Whats really really cool about that is though, that modern physics actually allows for that as an eventuality. Of course it definitely requires some very fancy extra-dimensional math, but of course that was never gonna convince Jihadi John or the fundamental christian neighbour next door.

I didnt find the timetravel paradoxes disturbing, they are supposed to be like that. I really hated the part where he enters the black hole though without being torn into an infitesmaly long strand of elementary particles.
They tried to excuse this with something like "it's got a gentle event horizon" or some other such comment. I just thought, fine, so instead of getting stretched into an 80 mile long thread, he gets stretched into an 8 mile long thread. When he survives, I decided that any race advanced enough to build a structure in a black hole has some way of getting people in and out, and let it go at that.

More unbelievable to me was the planet that was moving so fast that a single hour on it was 7 years outside. Such a planet would be traveling so fast (nearly light speed) as to be uncatchable with the astronaut's technology. I loved the massive tidal waves that would be caused by being so close to the black hole though.

Also he gets spat out of it at exactly the right time for a patrol of earth spaceships to find him, just as his air was about to run out. Jesus I hate these happy ending concessions so that the average Joe walks out of the cinema satisfied that the Hero is going to bang Catwoman.
Yeah, that was lame, but again any race that can control space-time would be able to pull off a trick like that.

Yeah basically the movie was great except for the last 15 minutes or so. Still like 50 million times better than Prometheus though...
Oh, fuck yes. I'm still pissed off at what a steaming pile Prometheus was 2 years on. Feel like I was offered a massage and got pegged instead.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2014, 21:26 jdreyer

Cricket to pay feds $2.1M after allegations it charged too much for wiretaps.

So not only do we get wiretapped, but the govt gets to do it on the cheap.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2014, 21:25 jdreyer

Elonis, a former amusement park worker, insisted that he did not mean to frighten his ex-wife and that the rants were merely a way to blow off steam.

None of the justices appeared to agree.

I'm on the side of the justices here. I'm just so tired of people threatening things for which they'd be arrested if they did it in person.

News Comments > Game of Thrones Launch Trailer
1. Re: Game of Thrones Launch Trailer Dec 1, 2014, 21:20 jdreyer

If fewer than 3 people die during the launch celebrations, it will not have been considered successful.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $65M
49. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Dec 1, 2014, 19:45 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 08:57:
panbient wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 08:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 20:28:
- The Javelin destroyer sale at $2500 per ship.

Suddenly I really don't feel so bad about having spent the same amount of money on a drum kit to use in Rock Band 3. Plus I can still use it outside of the game too.

A hobbys a hobby. How much is a new set of golf clubs? Or a rifle for hunting? We gamers are no worse than anyone else.

True, but I could never get into hunting. Gary's Gun Emporium will never have that Remington Model 700 on sale for 75% off.

While I kid, at least if I bought that gun, I'd have it 20 years from now. Not guaranteed with virtual ships on a server that may or may not be around 10 years from now.

EDIT: Panbient beat me to it.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming
14. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming Dec 1, 2014, 19:34 jdreyer

shihonage wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 19:15:
Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 18:00:
I would have said the exact same thing you said at the end of your comment if you were an official reviewer and wrote that shit. In my opinion, Ghost was the worst fucking CoD out there. Not a second did I feel like a Ghost member on did the game give the Ghosts a sense of the reputation they were credited in the introduction movie. That game was bland shit. AW was a good change of pace and personally I have nl fucking clue what you mean with the enemy placement/spotting complaint. Dunno, maybe you need a stronger pair of glasses?

I don't give a crap about feeling like a "Ghost member". What I do care about is gameplay and immersion, and AW failed at that spectacularly from the very start, while Ghost starts off with a tense space station takeover sequence.

There are two mindsets when it comes to creating a COD-style campaign.

Mindset #1: Create a competent-looking level, plonk some enemies and scripted sequences at certain intervals, throw in some bombastic music, and you're done.

Mindset #2: Humble yourself and realize that even scripted campaign design requires thought and skill. The timing of scripted events, making sure the player doesn't feel boxed in all the time, proper enemy placement, difficulty curve management, pacing, decent writing - they all matter.

Mindset #1 has been employed in most of these games, with Battlefield 3/4 being the worst. COD4, Medal Of Honor (PC) and Ghosts employ Mindset #2.

To make another parallel, Mindset #2 was employed with Diablo2 while making a Diablo sequel (roguelike with more freedom, more randomness, more content), and Mindset #1 was employed with Diablo3 while making a skinner box for retards, devoid of player agency, replayability, and generally suffocative.

That's the difference between something made with care, and something made from a step-by-step manual - like the Woody Allen movies. Real food vs. dog food.

I like this analysis, as I enjoyed the campaign for MW1 playing until the end, but could barely make it through 30m of the BF3 campaign.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming
13. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming Dec 1, 2014, 19:32 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 18:18:
for some crazy reason, whenever i start a match its horribly ultra low fps (like 5-10) for about a minute or two.. after that its perfectly fine

not sure what the fuck its about, but its really damn annoying

im on a 970 so i know its not a gfx deficit

Loading data from hard drive maybe? Then when it's finished after a minute it runs smoothly?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2014, 18:06 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 09:16:
Oh wow, was about to pull the trigger on one of those T200TAs.

Why not the Lenovo Z50? It looks like it's got a better integrated GPU? Or you like the idea that it transforms into a tablet?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 1, 2014, 17:57 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 16:09:
LittleMe wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 14:23:
People are deeply programmed, biologically speaking, to want jewelry. They'll pay far above it's actual value. The reasoning I believe is that jewelry elevates one's social status and we are highly social creatures. In primitive times, social status was tied to the most desirable breeding, food, shelter, protection, etc.

Personally I've never understood the attraction of jewellery and have never worn any. And that status hasn't changed. It's just that dumb people get it wrong and believe it's about ostentatious displays of wealth, when it's not.

Well, maybe you don't need it, what with your Atlas body and sparkling personality.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 1, 2014, 17:55 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 13:31:
...even smart cock rings. Think of the possibilities!

Would give new meaning to the term "buttdialing."

10075 Comments. 504 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo