Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12244 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
24. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 16:21 jdreyer

These guys are already over $50K, well on their way to making their KS goal. It's strange, too, as this is one of the weaker game kickstarters I've seen in a while. It's just a bunch of talk and concept art.  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
49. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 16:18 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on May 6, 2015, 16:02:
jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2015, 12:55:
Bummer. Thought this would be coming out this summer.

They probably could but it needs to have a robust lineup of software that uses it, it'll be interesting to watch how this unfolds but from a comfort standpoint I just can't see wearing this for extended hours.

We've had high quality head tracking for a really long time now and it is just a niche device to be used mostly in simulators. This just adds the parallax 3d to the experience for the most part and seems more cumbersome.

That's fine with me, I don't plan on gaming for more than an hour or two at at time anyway.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2015, 14:19 jdreyer

So what do you all recommend Blue pick up? 55" backlit LED LCD?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 6, 2015, 14:12 jdreyer

Read that pizza hut story yesterday. Clever girl.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2015, 14:10 jdreyer

Verno wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:11:
I'm going to use the consoles backup function to store it on an external or something. It was a really cool little demo and a damned shame that they seem to be trying to delete it from existence. This is one of the annoyances of closed platforms.

Isn't it on youtube somewhere?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Goat Simulator GoatZ Expansion Tomorrow
8. Re: Goat Simulator GoatZ Expansion Tomorrow May 6, 2015, 14:09 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on May 6, 2015, 13:10:
Awful name... Say it aloud and it sounds like something else, lol.

Knowing these guys, I'm sure it's strictly intentional. I would type out the synonym, but don't want the responsibility of scarring someone for life if they then google it.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Myst TV Series Coming to Hulu
1. Re: Myst TV Series Coming to Hulu May 6, 2015, 14:06 jdreyer

Each episode consists of 25 minutes of trying to solve a single illogical puzzle in a beautifully rendered environment before giving up and finding the answer online.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos
9. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos May 6, 2015, 14:03 jdreyer

Verno wrote on May 6, 2015, 10:27:
Too expensive right now, just the receivers alone are nuts.

$2500. OUCH.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos
8. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos May 6, 2015, 13:57 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on May 6, 2015, 13:02:
Not too expensive for the retards who buy this game for $60 and premium at $60 plus whatever else EA has lined up as paid DLC. Those are the kind of retards who will buy anything.

Hey, it's Star Wars. It's designed from the ground up to drain your wallet dry.

Live long, and prosper.

42. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 13:50 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on May 6, 2015, 13:05:
Wake me up when they start rendering at minimum full HD *per eye*. This one is too low res to bother.
These will probably come out at 1440P, which is the new top end for 5.5" panels. 4K would be better, but I think 1440P will be good enough, having nearly double the pixels of 1080P: 3,686,400 vs. 2,073,600.

Live long, and prosper.

40. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 13:23 jdreyer

MajorD wrote on May 6, 2015, 12:11:
Cutter wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:37:
A lot of people will end up with VR paperweights before this fad passes. That'll take a while however as there's too much money behind this movement at current. I have no doubt that VR will succeed one day, just not today. I still see this being of far more use in practical applications, AR in particular.

I have to agree. Similar to how the whole 3D television/monitor hype train that has slowly died off. Now it's curved TVs.

BUUUTTTT, until I try it, who really knows? /Shrug

The problem with 3D TVs: first there isn't a lot of 3D content out there to watch, and second it's just an additional layer to the presentation, it's not integral to the story telling.

Curved TVs are a fad, although I have a feeling they'll always be sold as a niche product. But they make no sense: a TV is a group device, and curving it is antithetical to that.

Curved monitors are here to stay, and will become the majority display type in the future because monitors are individual use items, so curving makes sense.

The OR fundamentally changes your experience for a rather large subset of games: racing & driving sims, flight sims, space sims, and FP horror games. And it also seems to adapt well to FP RPG and adventure games that focus more on exploration and don't require the twitch reactions of FPSs. I view it as a strong niche product like joysticks or driving wheels which change and improve how you play certain kinds of games. These have been with us for decades. The OR is less like gimmicky products like kinect which can't die soon enough.

Live long, and prosper.

38. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 13:03 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on May 6, 2015, 11:07:
I hope VR usage catches on and people stay indoors. That means more space for me outside.

Because outside is already so crowded? There are already plenty of indoor distractions, I can't imagine this will keep people in who aren't already inside.

Live long, and prosper.

37. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 12:57 jdreyer

zombiefan wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:14:
Meh. Still a gimmick. Great for racing games/flying sims/rollercoaster tech demos, but I'll keep waiting for holodeck/brain implants.

By the time we have holodeck/brain implants, you'll have died. You'll literally have to be brought back as a zombie to enjoy those, zombiefan.

Live long, and prosper.

36. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 12:55 jdreyer

Bummer. Thought this would be coming out this summer.  

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 03:01 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on May 6, 2015, 02:23:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 19:42:
When was the last time we had a narrative single player starfighter campaign like in X-Wing or Wing Commander? I know we're getting one in Squadron 42, but I can't remember the last time we had one. Anyone?

C'mon now, it's not like we've been in the dark ages when it comes to single-player space combat games/sims. I mean, the pickins' have been slim, yes, but not non-existent. There's been several narrative based games out since X-wing and Wing Commander (not including the already mentioned Freespace series), there's:

Tachyon: The Fringe
Darkstar One
Starlancer
Freelancer
Elite 2 and 3
(well you did go back to X-wing and both of them were released after)
Battlecruiser 3000AD series and it's hellspawn (*ahem*)
I-War 1 and 2
StarFleet Academy and Klingon Academy
Bridge Commander
Star Trek: Legacy

Nomad (little known but still kick ass)
Star Crusader (ditto)
Renegade: Battle For Jacob's Star
Star Rangers
Absolute Zero
Darklight Conflict
Colony Wars
(for the PS1, totally awesome series!)
StarPoint Gemini 1 and 2
Strike Suit Zero
(mentioned already)
X series (X: BTF, X2, X3: Reunion, X3: Terran Conflict, X3: Albion Prelude, X: Rebirth)
Evochron Mercenary
Archon Alliance
Vendetta Online
(MMO)
Jumpgate (MMO closed)

And I'm sure I could think of at least 10 more from DOS all the way to recently if I wasn't tired as hell...

=-Rigs-=

I did say "when was the last time" meaning we've not had one in 15 or so years. Most of your list is older than 15 years. And I did say "narrative single player" which excludes sandbox games like X series and Evo Merc as well as MMOs. I also said "starfighter" which would exclude things like I-War and Bridge Commander. So I ask again:

When was the last time we had a narrative single player starfighter campaign like in X-Wing or Wing Commander?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer
23. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 6, 2015, 02:43 jdreyer

headshot wrote on May 5, 2015, 08:45:
InBlack wrote on May 5, 2015, 03:15:
Do the Germans sensor Nazi imagery in their films and books too? (Serious question, I really don't know). You would think that a game where you are killing Nazis by the hundreds would get a pass...

you can see indiana jones in berlin getting an autograph from hitler. on your tv. no problems at all.

but since somebody already posted, gaming isn't accepted as the same art (since you are able to control your actions and somehow sympathize with the nazis) and gets banned or altered. where altering is the worst. RtCW got completely botched, you fight against the "Wolfsclan" and "Heinrich Höller" instead of Himmler. it is soldier of fortunes alternate reality story all over again.

So I guess it was no problem to show Inglorius Basterds in Germany then.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 5, 2015, 23:38 jdreyer

siapnar wrote on May 5, 2015, 18:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:59:
roguelike
I hear this term thrown around a lot by Indie devs. What exactly does it entail?
I feel like it's probably evolved into something that it wasn't originally.

The name comes from Rogue, a dungeon crawler from 1980. Here are some of the tenets of roguelikes:
- levels are procedurally generated.
- death is usually permanent
- mob randomization often means you can meet mobs well beyond your abilities at the start of the game.
- game is usually turnbased or has some way to pause the action so moves can be considered.
- there is usually a variety of loot and some kind of "character" leveling system

Wikipedia: Roguelike.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 5, 2015, 23:28 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 5, 2015, 18:09:
Frags4Fun wrote on May 5, 2015, 09:45:
I never understood these Christian gamers who play First Person Shooters or even host Battlefield servers. Killing for Jesus? Seems to go against everything that Christianity is based on. I do a facepalm every time I see a christian server on BF3/4. These people are the biggest hypocrites.

More people have been murdered in the name of religion than anything else I can think of. Actual xtians who follow the supposed lessons Jesus was teaching are probably the rarest of humans,IMO.

It's hard to quantify how many people died as a result of religion due to the multifaceted reasons wars start and continue. Wars started on exclusively religious pretexts are actually few in number, and even then are rarely exclusively about religion. For example, the 30 Years War started out as protestant vs. catholic, but evolved into a war of political control of Europe. On the other hand, even wars without a seemingly overt religious motivation often have religious undertones. WWII started as a nationalistic and socioeconomic war, but millions of Jews (and even many Christians) were slaughtered under the short life of that regime. Trying to find actual research on this is difficult. Pro-religious groups tend to only count those wars that were explicitly religious, ignoring completely wars where religion was one motivation among many. The antireligious tend to overstate the effect of religion as a motivation for starting wars mostly motivated by nationalism or economic reasons.

Live long, and prosper.

General Discussion > Starsizzle asking for location
4. Re: Starsizzle asking for location May 5, 2015, 23:06 jdreyer

Blue wrote on May 4, 2015, 12:07:

Actually I saw this, thanks for the report. I've seen a location request myself, and I am working at making sure none of us see one again.

Hey thanks. I've gotten several of these over the past few weeks. They are minor annoyances, but I'm concerned that I might accidentally accept instead of decline. Then I'd have to go delete the cookie, etc. PITA.

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 5, 2015, 23:03 jdreyer

Alamar wrote on May 5, 2015, 22:36:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 19:42:
Yup, MP only. SP isn't even a stretch goal. At the very least they could do offline MP with bots. "Multiplayer space warfare from the minds behind X-Wing, Crysis and Desert Combat." All games/mods that had substantial single player options.

These people never learn.

Don't these people pay attention to the medium they're marketing/funding on? Didn't a project JUST die horribly for the exact same reason?

One thing that heartens me is that the Ars comment threads are full of commenters lamenting the lack of single player. The devs may not read Blues, but Ars is kind of hard to ignore when they do a front page story on your project.

Live long, and prosper.

12244 Comments. 613 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo