Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 6603 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 13:55 jdreyer

Speaking of instant on, the XB1 pulls 18 watts in standby mode. EIGHTEEN. That's like leaving on a high power CFL on 24-7.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 13:35 jdreyer

Molyneux: “I’m sure they’re going to release an Xbox One without Kinect.”.

Kiss of death. If Peter claims it, you know it WON'T happen.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 13:31 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:54:
"Microsoft won't sell us off. At least I hope not, because then we'd actually have to make money on our own, rather than mooching off Office.

"Please don't sell us... please?"

You need to hope that XBox doesn't fail and leave Sony as the only viable console.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 9, 2014, 13:30 jdreyer

I dunno, I think it sounds cool. I loved the first two, and will own this at some point. Surprised that they didn't ask about Oculus support. Due to the art style, it's not super critical to play the game in hi-rez, so it's a good candidate for early OR support.  

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Overwatch
5. Re: Blizzard TMs Overwatch Apr 9, 2014, 13:08 jdreyer

The way trademarks are going, I half expected them to TM "over" and "watch" and maybe even "the" for good measure.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 04:02 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 02:16:
Redmask wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 22:09:
You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo.

And? All three of them are excellent movies, so then it just comes down to:

1) Taste/Personal preference.
2) The fact that quite a few of IMDB's voters have probably never seen DI or Yojimbo.

I'd have shared your grievance if Tootsie was sitting in Inception's place. Or Big Momma's House. Or anything with the words "Tyler Perry" in it. But Inception is a fantastic movie.

PS: Fun fact: For the longest, longest, LONGEST time, the Academy, as in the shriveled up fucking zombies who decide who wins Oscars each year, thought Tootsie was the funniest movie of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

They also voted Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan for best picture. Don't get me wrong, SiL is a fine movie. But in people still talk about Saving Private Ryan today. When it came out, it was instantly recognized as THE definitive movie on that war and that generations sacrifice. An instant classic (a phrase that is overused, but completely applies here.) No one talks about SiL anymore. The Academy was completely on the wrong side of history.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 03:52 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 22:09:
With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me

I'm sorry to nitpick this but ratings coutners don't really mean anything anymore, if they did at all. You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo. The Dark Knight Rises (a bloated, barely above average film) is sitting at 49 on the top 250. People these days rate on an all or nothing scale. In fact society in general loves extremes now, talk to someone and count the number of times you hear words like amazing, awesome and incredible. Things can't just be good but flawed anymore, no no, you need to utterly love or despise them.

In the case of IMDB I used to think it was just a case of movies aging and the market growing so older movies were naturally getting bumped down until I saw how people I knew were rating movies. 9-10 stars or 1-2 stars, little in between.

Hey, I didn't say it was the end-all-be-all of TV quality. I just said a lot of people agreed with me. At 8.8, I can say that. Although that top 100 list on IMDB is full of great TV shows: Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, True Detective, Firefly, Sherlock, etc., although I don't agree with the order, nor do I agree every show deserves to be there (Angry Video Game Nerd? WTF?).

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 8, 2014, 18:54 jdreyer

Uncensored footage from Liveleak here.  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2014, 18:41 jdreyer

Pankin wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 17:28:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 14:31:
Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:12:
"Spencer: Dropping Kinect is not the No.1 Xbox One request."

Ok, it's the number two request. They'll drop it. It's 100 dollar paperweight no one wants or wants to make games for. That won't make the NSA too happy but there's already several million suckers that they can spy on with it.

The thing is, they could be making games that make good use of it. Imagine an FPS where you move forward by jogging in place. Your controller is in the shape of a weapon that kinect reads and calculates the position of the reticle on screen. Moving left, right, up, down is just a tilt of the head. If you kneel to shoot, so does your character in-game. A game that incorporates this kind of thing could be pretty immersive, and burn off those Cheetos and Mountain Dew at the same time.

So you're going to turn your head to turn your avatar, correct? So now your head is angled away from the screen which is awkward. What if you wish to turn farther in the same direction? Turn your head even farther away from the screen, I suppose, and now you can't even see the game.

Immersive? Maybe. Impractical? Most certainly.

Okay, there are details to work out, obviously. I spent 20s thinking this up. Certainly a team with a couple years can come up with something better. Even an analog stick on the weapon/controller from movement would be fine. But imagine bringing the gun/controller up to your shoulder and the game automatically switching to scope mode? That would be pretty cool.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 8, 2014, 18:18 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 17:00:
Task wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 16:57:
LittleMe wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 13:53:
Oh wow the 295X2! time to read reviews!! ty

Conclusion: Its probably loud as hell like most 200 Radeon Cards.

The benchmarks have been misleading as well since they pit the "295" against regular stock 780's rather than 780 Ti's, which are superior.

Liquid cooled, so at 50dbl, it's actually somewhat quiet.

But, $1400 for a card that, unless you're running 3 monitors at insanely high resolutions, really doesn't do much better than a PC that costs the same amount. Sure, you get 500fps instead of 200fps, but at that point...

Anands was testing on 1440P and 2180P single monitors and getting 60-100 FPS, depending on the game. Kind of a waste for a single 1080P monitor, I agree. But if you have a hi-rez monitor and want to crank the settings up, it makes sense.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 18:08 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 14:41:
I agree with you on that front, even as a rabid BSG fan, i feel its complete. Another Star Trek series would be pretty great. I'd love to see a new one a hundred or 2 in the future from the TNG timeline.

Same here. I thought the BSG reboot was a monumental achievement, not just one of the best sci fi shows ever made, but one of the best TV shows ever made. With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me. I don't think it needs a reboot, the first reboot was so well done and still fresh in the mind (I'm actually working through a second viewing currently).

I would MUCH rather see a Firefly reboot, or some new sci fi IP. Sci fi possibilities are endless, and the chance they'll do BSG better than what has already been done is infinitesimally small.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 8, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Dagnamit wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 14:46:
I didn't think a 120mm radiator would have the capacity to cool 500W, but 71 degrees at max load is really, really impressive. The 3rd party 290's and this card just further prove how horrible the reference cooler was. I hope AMD learned something from that fiasco. Don't cheap out on a cooler, dammit.

There's a fan on the card itself too, but yeah, I think most of that cooling is coming from the radiator.

That card is a beast.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 8, 2014, 15:05 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:19:
I was going to say "I'm fairly sure that's not legal," but it's being done on a voluntary basis.

As for the "troll" label, I wouldn't call them a troll. A troll is a law firm that sends out thousands of "Pay us cash or else!" letters and never has any intention whatsoever of ever actually going to court over any of them. They extort people for money with a threat of embarrassment.

These guys have taken people to court, have (allegedly, judging by the article) dismissed hundreds of initial claims for reasons of not being able to properly identify a defendant, and even apparently for reasons of hardship (as in, the defendant can't pay anything anyway), and offer people a legitimate way out by voluntarily taking a lie detector test which, if they pass it, would let them off the hook no matter the evidence against them. (again, allegedly.)

A troll would do none of these things.

They are a producer who defends their content, and from the looks of it, does so in a reasonable and lawful manner. Hell, the RIAA could learn something from these guys.

Yeah, these guys are aggressive, but they're not trolls in the Prenda sense. They produce their own content, and try to protect it. And as you say, even though they're using that "pay us or go to court" extortion methodology, it sounds like they're trying not to catch grandmothers and five-year-olds the way Prenda was. They should be watermarking each client's content individually to find out who is sharing it in the first place though.

Also, kudos to Ars for their continuous focus on this issue.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2014, 14:50 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 13:57:
Is that a mouse or a Decepticon?

Wasn't the Cyborg Rat the first tunable gaming mouse?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2014, 14:47 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:15:
Yeah, I'm sure that treadmill will sell like hotcakes. Lulz.

And I don't know about worst but for outright evil Monsanto wins that handily.

That treadmill is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. If my house wasn't so small, I'd consider getting one.

As for Comcast and Monsanto, I agree that Monsanto does stuff that can actually affect your health, whereas Comcast is merely affecting your quality of life and gouging you at the same time. Regardless, both are much worse than EA. Surprising though, since this year for EA was far worse than the years they actually won the award.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2014, 14:42 jdreyer

robdot wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 12:03:
If the NSA wants to spy on you there are far more easier and better ways to do it than kinect. All the gamers bitching about it have an iphone, a PC , ipad, facebook ,Instagram Twitter etc, a drivers license and social security number...stfu already.

Cell phones are less useful as spying devices than you would think. Whenever my wife forgets to hang up her cell, I can hear it jumbling around in her bag. I hear her voice very faintly, but it's completely garbled since the bag blocks the sound. Ditto for a person's pocket. The Kinect, on the other hand, has no such issue. It gives crystal clear vid and audio all the time. I'm sure the NSA access kinects all the time happily fapping away watching some dudebro bang his GF on the sofa.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2014, 14:31 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:12:
"Spencer: Dropping Kinect is not the No.1 Xbox One request."

Ok, it's the number two request. They'll drop it. It's 100 dollar paperweight no one wants or wants to make games for. That won't make the NSA too happy but there's already several million suckers that they can spy on with it.

The thing is, they could be making games that make good use of it. Imagine an FPS where you move forward by jogging in place. Your controller is in the shape of a weapon that kinect reads and calculates the position of the reticle on screen. Moving left, right, up, down is just a tilt of the head. If you kneel to shoot, so does your character in-game. A game that incorporates this kind of thing could be pretty immersive, and burn off those Cheetos and Mountain Dew at the same time.

News Comments > List of Games Relying on GameSpy Services
10. Re: List of Games Relying on GameSpy Services Apr 8, 2014, 13:53 jdreyer

Since Borderlands uses Gamespy, I wonder if they are going to migrate it off. Or to Steamworks.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 8, 2014, 13:50 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 21:31:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:44:
Given that you only need one network per area,

Says you.

Fiber is incredibly expensive to run. Why would you need several redundant networks? Also, like access to water and roads, the internet has become indispensable to daily life. You either run it as a public utility, or run it as a heavily, heavily regulated utility like electricity. The current situation is intolerable. Imagine the electric company charged you double the rate, but capped your electricity at 30kwh per month. That's analogous to our current internet problem.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2014, 13:41 jdreyer

BitWraith wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 08:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 05:39:
PropheT wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 22:55:
Just how screwed up are things when they give out awards for telling the truth. Oy

It seemed like a moronic prize and then they confirmed it by giving it to Snowden.

The prize is stupid, but one day you will be glad he did what he did.

Apparently half the nation is glad, since half of Americans have changed their behavior since the Snowden revelations. How many individuals do things that get half the country to change? Very few, I'd wager.

6603 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo