Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9413 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released
21. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 17, 2014, 12:55 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 06:24:
The games are beautiful and the art direction is breath-taking but I just can't get into the Trine games because I am allergic to sidescrollers.

I hate sidescrollers too, but I enjoy this one:

1. I get to play with my kids.
2. It's not pure reflexes like most sidescrollers, it's also a good amount of puzzle solving.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 17, 2014, 12:54 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 05:38:
Owned but not played much past the tutorial, seems solid though. A little bit mechanically advanced for my daughter... hopefully she grows into it. We will have to stick with Spelunky and the Lego games for now.

Rust Dust has a good casual mode for the young'uns but her mum didn't appreciate the high level of don bluth inspired murder in that one.

And yeah, games are expensive. Even these 2d ones. A full price title, at retail, probably only pays for an hour or two of some engineers day. 7m units should do it though!

My six year old had no problem with Trine, even when playing by himself. I can't imagine her playing Spelunky if she can't play Trine. Spelunky is damn hard.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
29. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 02:46 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 02:18:
I cant view the trailer at work, but what the hell? Some of the reactions here are surprising to say the least, not to mention disturbing. When did Bluesnews turn into a bastion of political correctness? Listen up you hypocrites, we played through Wolf3d, Doom1, 2 & 3 (where we went to hell), Heretic, Hexen, Blood3d, Shadow Warrior, Duke3d, Postal, Carmageddon, GTA1-5, etc. etc. etc.

We plowed through millions of tons of virtual blood, brains, bones and gore, we killed demons, people, innocent civilians, german soldiers, children in Fallout2, streethookers, junkies, yuppies, and endangered animals. Most of this in our youth, and somehow this game is a stinking pile of shit and taboo?

Judgemental much?

I can't recall a game or trailer on this site that has received this reaction. I think it's the total package that's generating the Hatred:

- the sheer variety and high level of realism of the violence
- killing innocents is the goal, not an incidental
- innocents are all realistically rendered humans, not demons, mutants, zombies, etc.
- the complete lack of remorse, indeed glee, the protagonist seems to take in his deeds
- the despair imparted by the black and white and red color palette

I think all of these things combine to impart a feeling of derision and disgust. The only games that come to mind similar to this are Postal and Manhunt. Postal is somewhat redeemed by being way over the top and satirical, and in Manhunt the protagonist is doing these awful things for his freedom. So far as I can tell, Hatred offers none of these pretenses. In most of the other games you mentioned, the violence is a means to an end, not an end unto itself as it is here. Nor is it against defenseless innocents primarily, but enemies for the most part.

All of this is probably building the hype up in your mind, and when you finally watch it you'll wonder what the big deal is. But if you don't know what to expect going it, it's pretty brutal.

27. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 02:26 jdreyer

Yakata wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 01:16:
On another note, I pray you look at the team making the game on the website. See those lovely chaps ?
They look like a bunch of gore-grind metal loving horror movie fanatics. They are making a game for their subcultures, directed to other partakers in these glorious darker fun laden death obsessed subcultures.
Don't like it ? Take a hike. Go look at games made for you. Spewing shit like this game should not be made, let misfortune befall lthe buyers etc is just not ok.

Yeah, it is trash - trash culture. Deliberately transgressive because it still gets a rise out of people, who all should really know better.

Well, at least the name is fitting. No one is going to pick this up and mistakenly think that they bought Snuggle Truck 2.

As for expressing whether this game should ever have been made, etc. it's hypocritical for you to defend the first amendment right of this game to exist, but not defend the first amendment right of critics to make comments like those. Hypocritical expression, however, is your right.

25. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 02:13 jdreyer

DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 22:27:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 21:59:
Well, someone is gunning for the "Jack Thompson Award 2015." Trying to take the most violent game title away from Manhunt?

I find as I get older, my desire to play shooting games wanes. This wouldn't have interested me in my younger days of course either. Killing for killing's sake has never interested me, I've always preferred my shooters to be goal oriented with enemies as obstacles to be overcome, violently or not. And I've always preferred shooters where I killed aliens, ghosts, monsters, zombies, or what have you over humans, these days even moreso.

I'm really not sure who they're appealing to here, honestly. The frat-boy, dudebro demographic that will get drunk and play this with their buds and get a bunch of laughs at all the over-the-top deaths? I'd wish them luck, but I can't in good conscience.

While I won't even think about viewing the trailer for this garbage let alone playing the game I think your statement about only killing non-humans is a little funny. I have played lots of games where I was killing other humans just for fun. Some of the most memorable moments of my youth were playing games like Quake, Quake 2, Soldier of Fortune 2, Blood, Blood 2, Unreal and the Duke Nukem games.

The area where I draw the line is not whether I am killing humans or monsters but how realistic and gory the game plays. All the above games I posted I wouldn't hesitate to fire up again for some fun. But this one just sounds disgusting from all the comments I have read. I never even gave Manhunt a second thought either.

I tried "No More Room In Hell" and decided it was too violent even if I was killing zombies which are actually just dead people who have come back to life. Still humans.

Well, I just prefer killing non-humans (including zombies) over humans, but it is just a preference. It's not like I won't play those games. I've played all the games you named, and most I've really enjoyed, and others too like the original CoD:MW SP campaign. And I agree with the gore/realism, too. I loved playing Carmaggedon back in the day, for example, which is gory, but also completely cartoony and over the top. I just prefer it when they aren't people, and find myself moving more in that direction as I age.

14. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 17, 2014, 01:59 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 00:41:
they must be factoring in the millions they sold for $1 with the Humble Bundle.

Yeah, they made pennies for each copy sold in the bundles. Trine & T2 have been in 3 bundles, which sold a bit over 1M units. So, it's less than the 7M total I would have suspected. They got millions in revenue, but they also spent millions to make these games. I'd love to know what their PnL was.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 16, 2014, 23:02 jdreyer

Just a few friendly reminders on why we need privacy.

1. Why 'I have nothing to hide' is the wrong way to think about surveillance.

2. You break the law every day. It's estimated the average American commits three felonies per day without knowing. And those are just Federal laws. If all that is recorded, it can be held against you to control you.

3. Never talk to the police. This quite entertaining video should be seen by everyone. Here's an article that covers similar points if you don't want to watch.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 22:13 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 21:52:
WB Confirms Justice League, Wonder Woman, Aquaman Films.

Why, why, and why?!?

1. Justice League: "Holy Shit, Avengers and GotG made a crapton of cash. We need some of that."

2. We haven't had a super hero movie with a woman in the lead. I applaud that. Hopefully they don't include her invisible jet.

3. I understand Jason Momoa will star as Aquaman. I like the idea of a non-white, non-blond Aquaman, and Jason was great as both Khal Drogo and in Conan.

8. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 16, 2014, 22:05 jdreyer

I have 2 kids, and Trine 1 & 2 are some of the few games all three of us can sit down and play together. They're a lot of fun, and T2 especially looks gorgeous.

I understand they re-did T1 using the T2 engine. Has anyone played that?

Lastly, although they've sold 7M copies, remember that a lot of those were at $2 or $3 each, or in bundles. Still, it's a decent amount of cash even at those low prices.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 16, 2014, 22:03 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 20:00:
BUT...
WICKET...
IS..
JUST..
SO...
CUTE...
AND...
CUDDLY!!!! I NEEDZ IT!

Sides it beats Jar Jar by miles.

I'd prefer Peter Dinklage in any role Warwick Davis would play.

9. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 21:59 jdreyer

Well, someone is gunning for the "Jack Thompson Award 2015." Trying to take the most violent game title away from Manhunt?

I find as I get older, my desire to play shooting games wanes. This wouldn't have interested me in my younger days of course either. Killing for killing's sake has never interested me, I've always preferred my shooters to be goal oriented with enemies as obstacles to be overcome, violently or not. And I've always preferred shooters where I killed aliens, ghosts, monsters, zombies, or what have you over humans, these days even moreso.

I'm really not sure who they're appealing to here, honestly. The frat-boy, dudebro demographic that will get drunk and play this with their buds and get a bunch of laughs at all the over-the-top deaths? I'd wish them luck, but I can't in good conscience.

News Comments > Dreadnaught Trailer
6. Re: Dreadnaught Trailer Oct 16, 2014, 21:46 jdreyer

Unfortunately, as I understand it, this game is F2P, online-only, multiplayer only. So, it's off my list. If it had a nice offline single player campaign, or coop vs. bots, I'd shell out cash since it looks like fun.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2014, 21:38 jdreyer

How Microsoft Appointed Itself Sheriff of the Internet.

When you're a monopoly, you can do whatever you like.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 18:36 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 17:22:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 14:46:
5 'Fight Club' Fan Theories That Still Make Your Head Spin 15 Years Later.

It was all just a dream...

that wasn't a cowboy bebop reference by any chance was it?

Nah, it was just the most cliched thing I could think of. My humor fails most of the time.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 16, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

That Empryion game has potential. Kind of like Minecraft in space. Similar to Space Engineers, but with planets to land on and mobs to fight.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 15:02 jdreyer

Prolific Hispanic Actress Elizabeth Peņa Has Passed Away.

Did the sultry voice of the femme fatale in The Incredibles. 55 is way, way to young to go. My condolences to her family. RIP.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 14:46 jdreyer

5 'Fight Club' Fan Theories That Still Make Your Head Spin 15 Years Later.

It was all just a dream...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 14:44 jdreyer

I've been using a pedometer

Um, why do you want to use something that measures pedos?

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 14:43 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 09:58:
Holy shit Fight Club was released in 1999?? Man Im getting old...

Also, that small fusion reactor by Lockheed Martin sounds like SciFi but man I wish I could fast forward 10 years or so to see if it actually ends up working. (Or ITER for that matter)

Read a bunch of articles on that fusion reactor last night. Most of them read like a Lockheed ad. Only this one had bothered to interview some actual scientists to get their opinion (yay for British journalism?). The weirdest thing is that they're "seeking outside investors to make it happen in the next ten years."

This is Lockheed Martin, defense contractor, with revenues of $45B annually. BILLION. Why on earth would you need "investors?" If you feel like you can make this happen, you've hit the jackpot, the holy grail. You go from a $45B company to a $450B company. You're suddenly safely powering ships, large aircraft, trains, any town that wants to be off the grid, space stations, weapons platforms, etc. etc. The uses for a compact reactor that produces that much power are unlimited.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 16, 2014, 14:04 jdreyer

Browser makers spell out anti-POODLE plans.

The Gunnar-man prepares his defenses.

Woof.

9413 Comments. 471 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo