Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 10609 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
32. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:31 jdreyer

Sugarman wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 22:08:
Designing a new game engine similar to Cryengine 3 would be a monumental task. As for the UT engine being used, to my knowledge that was never on the table, SC has used Cryengine 3 from the start. Cryengine 3 has a lot left in it, when/if Cryengine 4 comes out I'm sure SC will move to that platform. CIG has hired quite a few Cryengine employees, something that is only going to benefit SC. Moving to 64 bit and double precision floating point is in the works right now, this will solve the problem with massive map sizes.

To wrap your head around everything going on at CIG takes an abundance of reading, thus the misinformation and naysayers.

Hell, Titanfall was built on the Source engine, which is 10 years old, and it came looking pretty good. CryEngine is a relatively new engine with constant improvements. I agree that it was an odd choice initially (the probably figured they didn't need a huge amt of space since they were going to make individual Wing Commander-style missions as opposed to a huge open world), but it's been years since that choice and they must have made some heavy modifications.

"Blue could have sold out years ago, gone mainstream and turned the site into a copy of every other gushing, ad infested cesspool of baitclicks. He chose not to and for that he has my thanks and utmost respect." - InBlack
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:22 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 08:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 03:15:
You could just skip them, but for Blue they're a money maker since they attract a lot of attention.

Has he actually said that?

No, but it's obvious. Each time he posts a SC thread, it balloons to 50 or 100 comments. Obviously it's driving traffic, and he's making ad money off it. And I'm for that. I want Blue to be compensated to the point that he continues to find this venture worth his time and effort.

"Blue could have sold out years ago, gone mainstream and turned the site into a copy of every other gushing, ad infested cesspool of baitclicks. He chose not to and for that he has my thanks and utmost respect." - InBlack

30. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:20 jdreyer

Sugarman wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 07:54:

Statements like this
What a weird world we live in where customers themselves fund games before they're even made
are just plain unnecessary, it's called crowdfunding, many things are available to us now that wouldn't be if it weren't for crowdfunding, everyone knows this, go somewhere else and attempt your (negative originality).

This used to be a fun gaming news site, but a few of you are trying your best to turn it into reddit or 4chan. I'd like to keep BluesNews as it is/was, that is why I've came here for so long, and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way. I didn't post this to hurt your feelings, make you look bad, or call down the wrath of righteous reply posts, I posted this because you're being a douchebag, quit being a douchebag.

My statement wasn't meant as negative, but simply observational. I was remarking on how things have changed so massively in the past 10 years, when things like crowdfunding and nearly daily development updates didn't exist. I'm an original SC backer from the KS, and someone looking forward to the game, for the record.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2015, 03:14 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 23:22:
yeah, i know, i acknowledged as much.

but let's indulge, shall we?

there's nothing stopping other competitors from starting a new ISP and coming into a town trying to get some market share. But they don't because it would cost too much, for too little share, because the town already has %99 of customers subscribed with the competitor. And the rules state that they'd have to offer the whole town service, a huge undertaking (and an unfair rule, as the original ISP who had to abide by it, got %100 of the town's business as compensation).

The big difference between starting a game portal and starting an ISP is startup costs. Both industries have entrenched players with vast marketshare, but to start up a game portal is relatively easy and low cost: some servers, some agreements with content providers, a website. And once it's up and running, your reach is basically global. There's reasonable competition in the digital game download field: Steam, Origin, Humble, GoG, D2D, etc. I own games on all of these platforms, at least 20 on each. I could probably go to a bank and get a loan tomorrow to get me started if I wanted to enter the industry. I could start small and scale as needed pretty easily.

An ISP on the other hand requires a massive infrastructure sunk cost, and then you're stuck in that location. Want to market in a new location? Another massive sunk infrastructure cost. Where's all that money going to come from? One regional failure, and I'm basically done.

19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2015, 03:07 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:24:
the real question here is if people are dumb enough to hate on this because they've been convinced that the government sticking it hands anywhere into people's lives is inherently bad.

this, like most issues should be bi-partisan, but i can't wait to see how the right will twist and distort this issue into "the government can't be trusted to regulate anything, they have no business in the private sector" and people will buy it.

Corporations are people my friend.

As someone fairly liberal who has never voted for the right, I'll tell you that both parties are basically co-opted by corporate money. The left mostly have their roots in the working class and the poor, and want to do something good as long as their corporate masters will allow it, whereas the right basically only gives a shit about the corporate and the evangelicals. Take the ACA for example. The only way to get it through was to add millions to the roles of corporate insurance companies adding 100s of millions in monthly revenue to their bottom line. Even then the right opposed it, and it passed mostly on a party line.

The problem is the system. Corporations are not people. Money <> free speech. But we have SCOTUS court cases that say otherwise, which is why we're in this awful situation. Get the corporate money out of politics, and you'll have much, much better legislation.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2015, 02:52 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 22:55:
It was stuffed in olives which I accidentally bought instead of the typical garlic stuffed type. I even tried to remove the cheese and proceeded to rinse out the cavity to at least salvage the olive but, alas, the blue cheese taste and smell became one with it.

I let those olives down.

A shame, as those are pretty good.

I agree that it's an acquired taste though, and not for everyone.

Speaking of acquired tastes: currently consuming coarse multigrain crackers with artichoke tapenade and a high IBU pale ale.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2015, 22:25 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:55:
I just ate blue cheese.

I will never eat blue cheese again.

Hopefully not straight up. It's pretty strong stuff. Unless you're hardcore, it's gotta be mixed in something, a la Bat's wife's recipe.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
750. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 25, 2015, 18:43 jdreyer

Jeez, had no idea this thread was still going.

Nice pics Vall.

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 15:22 jdreyer

No need for speed: Cable industry opposes 25Mbps broadband definition.

"Why are you making us invest in infrastructure when our current monopoly/collusion system is making us 90% returns?" Bigcry

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2015, 15:16 jdreyer

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 12:09:
I bought H1Z1 because I was so desperate to play a DayZ game that didn't have an atrocious interface. The game is much smoother, but the only thing there is to do is walk around and open empty container after empty container. I've looted well over 500+ things, and all I have to show for it is a couple pair of goggles.

How frickin hard is it to make this type of game that doesn't suck?! Every other genre has games that don't suck, but this genre can't manage a single one.

Well, there's a place to find all the things you could ever want! The Microtransaction store! Just order an airdrop, be the first one there, and voila! Tons of items!

13. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 03:15 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 01:10:
It would be nice if we could filter headlines or customize things like how it is on reddit. It's not a huge deal but the constant bombardment of these headlines is getting old.

Reddit has a team of programmers. Blue's is a one-man show.

You could just skip them, but for Blue they're a money maker since they attract a lot of attention.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Measles Jan 24, 2015, 19:38 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 18:09:
A measles outbreak in Disneyland, good work, anti-vaccination idiots. How embarassing, to humanity as a whole, that these CURED diseases are coming back so strongly now. It's going to take a bunch of kids getting paralyzed in the US by polio before this shit stops.

We had a lively discussion a few days ago when this broke.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 18:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 17:42:
B) Faking rape/death threats for fun and profit is disgusting. If you actually believe for a second they're real I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you cheap.

I know the police (or FBI?) was investigating. Did we hear definitively one way or the other?

Regardless, what this guy did was douchey.

8. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 24, 2015, 17:51 jdreyer

What a weird world we live in where customers themselves fund games before they're even made.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced
17. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:58 jdreyer

Guildcraft 2: Heart of the Thorn

Hmm, why does that seem so familiar?

16. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:47:
Ugh, not jungles. Never cared for that setting. Hated it in Diablo 2 and WoW. And no new races or classes?!?!?!

Yup, can't see shit in the jungle. Give me a nice vegetation-free desert environment and a Barrett .50 with a 12x scope. POW! Rifle

Wait, uh, something's not quite right here...

15. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:53 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*

It just means you don't pay much attention to the F2P market. Which is a good thing!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2015, 15:38 jdreyer

This guy put his laptop on the balcony and plays from inside because it overheats.

Alternatively, he could just clean the damn thing.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 15:08 jdreyer

Anita Sarkeesian Releases Kickstarter Breakdown, Raised $440,000 In 2014.

Good work if you can get it. Except for the rape threats, that is.

News Comments > DayZ Early Access Sells 3M
8. Re: DayZ Early Access Sells 3M Jan 24, 2015, 14:52 jdreyer

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:25:
I really like DayZ. Despite what you hear it's quite playable and has been for some time, IF you know you're getting into. The game is janky and buggy as hell. The PvE component is half-baked at best. The graphics engine sucks (why didn't they just use ARMA 3?) and it's rampant with hacks. All of those things are true.

This is the thing that boggles my mind the most. These guys have made literally 10s of millions of dollars, and it seems the game has made little progress since it was released. With that amount of money, you can afford to go out and hire people to fix the problems. It's almost as if they're saying "Why bother? People keep buying it as is."

10609 Comments. 531 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo