Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8137 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 12, 2014, 18:07 jdreyer

The first time I saw Assassin's Creed Unity, I thought "Why are they advertising that they made the game in the Unity engine?"  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 12, 2014, 18:05 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 17:33:
Spin to Win = US promotion only.

Middlefinger

You should be able to participate. Canada is part of the USA.

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
1. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 12, 2014, 13:21 jdreyer

Now you're just trolling us Blue.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:12 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 02:38:
DA3 may turn out to be an awesome game. It may turn into DA2 all over again. I don't know. I just know that I have much less confidence in Bioware than I used to. So I'll just wait and see.

The gameplay vids over the past two days do not inspire confidence.

25. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:09 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 02:06:
Did I just need to explain that?

Exactly. Perfect. Thanks, LittleMe.

24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:05 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 00:48:
i agree the overall easymode design of modern games is somewhat insulting to us oldtimers, but i don't feel it's that big a deal. after playing for awhile they don't even register to my brain anymore. i finally started playing through assassin's creed 3 and despite the consolization, it really doesn't bother me anymore. the only thing that remains to memory is the onscreen action, the character design, and the dialogue you share.

gameplay is eternally transitional anyway - that's why i don't put much stock into griping about it. the innovative first person of wolfenstein to our younger selves is the restrictive, chained experience to us today. really, anything short of holodeck VR is unrealistic so i'm not sure how people say one method of gameplay is superior to another. heck, lots of people still prefer the constraints of turnbased gaming over realtime. Civ 4/5/6 is proof enough of that.

for me, the design of the DA series was such that combat was always subservient to the narrative anyway, and in that regard it's done a fine enough job. if in DA3, they've made the world far larger, with more immersive graphics, design, and character interaction, and combat isn't totally unfair one way or another, that's all i need.

I dunno, I am being harsh on this game. And I really, really hope you all enjoy it. The engine is beautiful, and the story looks really good. I just can't get over their gameplay choices here. Currently I'm playing State of Decay, which looked great in the vids, but I'm finding when I'm actually playing it that I can't stand it. It's just too consoly for me. And this looks exactly the same.

23. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:02 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 23:13:
I agree, it looks amazing. I just hate the gaminess of it, all the stuff I mentioned yesterday, all those console compromises, all those simplifications. They detract from reality, and it breaks the immersion. I can't believe I'm in this world when everything has tool tips, when damage displays in numbers on people, and when I'm in 3rd person view.

It's a videogame. "Gaminess" isn't really a criticism when you're talking about videogames.That's like saying a movie is too "movie-ish."
Bullshit. DA:I is going Borderlands. What works for the over-the-top cell shaded world of BL does not work for a serious RPG with serious themes like DA:I. Keep your fucking Michael Bay out of my Game of Thrones. The greatest part of BS:Infinite for example is the exploration parts with the UI disabled. Pure exploration, discovery, and storytelling.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to disable the floating numbers and maybe even the tool tips. As for the camera, first-person would be terrible for this kind of game. It's all about managing your party and planning your next move. Being able to see as much of the battlefield as possible is ideal, hence the third-person camera.

I'm all for immersion but gameplay always takes priority. If realism hurts the gameplay, it should always take a backseat.
WTF is wrong with you? If I want great gameplay ONLY I'll go play Super Mario Brothers. And who said anything about realism? It's immersion that's important. Tooltips and damage numbers aside, these characters jump around like they're on a constant meth drip. It's ridiculous. The third person perspective reminds me that I'm PLAYING the game, not in it. And there's no danger in this world. Enemies fall like so many cardboard cutouts. It's a shame too, because the engine is gorgeous, and the story looks pretty engrossing.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 22:28 jdreyer

A big hubbub is a mention in the fifth paragraph of the description? Heaven forbid they should appeal to a neglected demographic.

Also, for the record FF VII mentioned romance in the advertising for that game.

7. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 11, 2014, 21:39 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 19:27:
preeeeeetty game. i don't care how much haterade you guys pour on this, i'm going to play the hell out of it. i loved DAO and DA2 was still a good, enjoyable experience. a lot of you are too exacting in your expectations - it wasn't the bleeding edge masterpiece we'd hoped for, but failing to live up to that, anything can still be a good game. people just need to keep in the mind the full spectrum of possibilities it could've been, not just that 'it's not a masterpiece; therefore, sucks'.

I agree, it looks amazing. I just hate the gaminess of it, all the stuff I mentioned yesterday, all those console compromises, all those simplifications. They detract from reality, and it breaks the immersion. I can't believe I'm in this world when everything has tool tips, when damage displays in numbers on people, and when I'm in 3rd person view.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 21:27 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 21:14:
See now that's the problem here. Who in the hell said I was offended? Also I said "relationship fantasies" - that has absolutely nothing to do with me not choosing a certain gender. How could you possibly deduce both of those wrong assumptions?

I don't get "offended" by anything. Offense is something we choose - usually by weak minds who can't accept the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion. And... so... am... [drum roll] I!

I can't stand the Strait or Gay shit because "I" don't give a shit about love and sex in a video game, and I find companies who parade that type of information are banking on it.
I see, the relationship part was the turnoff, not the orientation of said relationships. So you don't play these games at all then: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, FF VII?

But, as I said, if there's a game where the gameplay is hardcore butrummaging, I'd try it all and start with you! As a male, female, cat, bird, whatever...
I'm flattered, but you already know we're not compatible. Argue

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 20:59 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 20:35:
As soon as I saw "play as gay or straight" I immediately knew I wouldn't play at all.

I can't stand that shit -- I don't play video games to live out relationship fantasies. Now hardcore sex video games, that might be funny for awhile...

I really don't understand why you're offended. The game offers you a choice, but you're offended by the choice because you're not one of the options? So you won't play a game that lets you play as a man or a woman because you're not a woman?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2014, 20:08 jdreyer

Cops Raid Gamer Live On Twitch…

1. Seriously, the militarization of the police has got to go.

2. More seriously, the authorities have got to come down hard on swatters. That shit ain't cool.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2014, 20:07 jdreyer

Heroes Rise: HeroFall

A game about a hero on a trampoline.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 11, 2014, 20:05 jdreyer

I suppose it was inevitable that teh pr0n industry would go mainstream. They're a $14B industry, just a bit smaller than the gaming industry itself.  

News Comments > 75 New Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 75 New Steam Greenlights Jul 11, 2014, 20:02 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 16:08:
We Are The Dwarves might be good.

Yeah, when Blue posted that trailer the other day it looked like it had potential.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2014, 15:51 jdreyer

The genre-defining video games we forgot.

This video is a bit all over the place, but here are some of the games discussed:

Wolfenstein 3D: Hardly forgotten. We had a Wolf game come out last month. This was the first FPS I ever played. I was so startled I fell out of my chair when I encountered my very first Nazi and he shot me.

Alone in the Dark: Classic horror adventure game. Great memories playing the crap out of this one.

Ultima Underworld Stygian Abyss: I never played this one, but it's legendary.

Pong: I think this is the first home game system I ever played. My grampa had one in 1980.

Space War: Used to play this in the '80s on the mainframe at university. Many hours wasted that should have been spent programming.

He also talks about 3D platformer Bubsy and the original Legend of Zelda.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2014, 15:13 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:54:
LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:41:
So you guys are fine with spying and controlling people's freedom of speech? Stop listening to the media and start researching. For example, the democrats are putting up a bill that would hurt the first amendment rights of everyone! Stop seeing groups--republican versus democrat-- and start seeing what these politicians are trying to do with the words they use, the bills they put up, and the actions they take. I trust very few of them and to be honest, if you still see yourself as a democrat or republican and are party loyal, you are too ignorant to vote.

What does this post have to do with anything said here?

I think he's trying to make a comment on the NSA leaks? There is a good point in here: both parties supported the spying (what they knew of it) until the hew and cry from the public arose. And both parties are beholden to corporate interests, although I think one of them moreso.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2014, 14:56 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 13:43:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 12:48:
Have there really been so many meth labs that that's something to worry about?

Well, considering that shit seeps into the walls, I'd want to know before I lived there...

Gives the phrase "contact high" new meaning.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 13:10 jdreyer

FCC Republican says net neutrality rules too “onerous” for ISPs.

Given that the ISPs are struggling to make payroll and are on the brink of bankruptcy, I completely agree.

Oh, wait. I forgot that cable companies are up to 97% profitable. So cry me a freakin' river.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 12:54 jdreyer

Given that so much secrecy is to cover up incompetence and wrongdoing, I welcome these new leaks.  

8137 Comments. 407 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo