Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12242 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
2. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 19:34 jdreyer

Well, that was rather silly. They jump from one shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula to another shattered asteroid field in an orange nebula. Or maybe they just jumped 200 feet within the same asteroid field.

So it's the battle of Trafalgar in outer space.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 7, 2015, 17:49 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2015, 09:33:
I've always hated this trope in games. "At least he didn't do that 'walkin' against the wind' shit. I hate that."

I'll just leave this picture right here.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2015, 16:25 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on May 7, 2015, 07:21:
1badmf wrote on May 7, 2015, 01:31:
OLED is the way to go. black blacks, great color and super thin. just... don't look at the price and you'll be fine ;-)

I know you're kidding but OLED sucks. It has major pixel lifespan problems, it has burn in issues like early plasma tech did, the yields suck for manufacturers and the cost is exorbitant. The tech is extremely immature and might never get there, only one manufacturer even has meaningful production capacity for it and they've gone on record as saying its doomed. People went gaga over press releases and trade show hype but the reality was far from the promise.

Hmm, my 4 year old Samsung Infuse has no burn in and no pixel loss after 4 years of daily use, and it's Super AMOLED. I thought the technology was maturing.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2015, 16:11 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on May 7, 2015, 02:01:
This was filmed nearby where I live. Thumbsup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RWQ-dnpplaA

So you're Jonny Lieberman?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 7, 2015, 15:55 jdreyer

harlock wrote on May 7, 2015, 14:11:
The aid which we feel impelled to give to the helpless is mainly an incidental result of the instinct of sympathy, which was originally acquired as part of the social instincts, but subsequently rendered, in the manner previously indicated, more tender and more widely diffused. Nor could we check our sympathy, even at the urging of hard reason, without deterioration in the noblest part of our nature. The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil.

- Darwin

Fortunately we can overcome our sympathetic impulses when cold logic dictates. Most of the time anyway.

Live long, and prosper.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2015, 15:51 jdreyer

Group Claiming To Be Knights Templar Impersonating Police Officers.

I could see one crazy guy believing he's part of a 3000 year old non-existent police order based on the 1000 year old Knights Templar, but three or more? Bizarre.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2015, 15:39 jdreyer

harlock wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:23:
how about, ignoring pain reduces pain

Exactly. Games help you ignore.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 14:23 jdreyer

Conservatives pass controversial anti-terror bill Bill C-51

Canada gets its version of the Patriot Act. I'm curious what Cutter and Mashiki (and our other Canadian friends) think of this?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 14:13 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 12:17:
Razumen wrote on May 7, 2015, 10:36:
You can't possibly be serious. You do realize the majority of Muslims in the world are peaceful, decent people right?

Well that really depends on the issue doesn't it? Especially when you look at the poll/opinion surveys and so on. And you get anywhere between 10% and 55% with open support of extremist opinions.

Half of the people of this country support and approve of the extremist position that torture is okay. We should ban and deport them too.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible
19. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 14:01 jdreyer

This brief article on why games in Australia are so expensive.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible
18. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 13:48 jdreyer

Julio wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:41:
HorrorScope wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:27:
Online without taxing has a large advantage over B&M and there is a good chance if you live near anything rural, you see the affects of online killing the B&M

If the government had less tax money, we'd see less tax money wasted.
Yes, because less taxes is working out so well for Kansas.

The tax status of online is only a minor reason for B&M dying off for many types of products. B&M has advantages which they have failed to leverage, it's just a matter of time before it's gone.
For a lot of retailers margins can be extremely small. It's bad enough to have to compete against Amazon's purchasing power on a level playing field, but to also be saddled with tax collection while Amazon (for example) is not is simply unfair.

Live long, and prosper.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2015, 13:11 jdreyer

Julio wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:48:
Cutter wrote on May 7, 2015, 09:57:
And what will Baddell do about Bellicheat and the Cheatriots? Not a damn thing.

Exactly. The NFL will never deal out real punishment (i.e. strip the owner of the franchise, ban Brady for life etc).

My guess is a one game pre-season suspension with pay for all involved.

Hey, they're champions and heroes. Why should they be punished? Why do you hate America? Are you a commie?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2015, 13:02 jdreyer

Playing video games also reduces pain.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
16. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 7, 2015, 00:20 jdreyer

Overon wrote on May 6, 2015, 22:54:
According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

I think that's a reasonable analysis.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 6, 2015, 22:00 jdreyer

Pretty awesome how they end up with the final result.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
4. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 6, 2015, 21:18 jdreyer

Odd that they acquired keys even though CDProjekt refused to sell them any. Seems shady.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 6, 2015, 16:33 jdreyer

descender wrote on May 6, 2015, 14:10:
the Republicans have yet to propose a workable alternative

That's likely because the ACA essentially was their 'workable alternative" to universal healthcare in the 90's. Dem's co-opted it and sold it as their own and the GOPers have been literally voting to repeal their own idea.

True, I'd forgotten that. Mitt deployed this same system in MA when he was governor, IIRC. So, basically there's nothing to the right for them to support except going to back to the awful system we had before. They can't say that though, because everyone recognizes its awfulness.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 6, 2015, 16:25 jdreyer

nin wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:15:
mag wrote on May 6, 2015, 03:03:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 23:38:
siapnar wrote on May 5, 2015, 18:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:59:
roguelike
I hear this term thrown around a lot by Indie devs. What exactly does it entail?
I feel like it's probably evolved into something that it wasn't originally.

The name comes from Rogue, a dungeon crawler from 1980. Here are some of the tenets of roguelikes:
- levels are procedurally generated.
- death is usually permanent
- mob randomization often means you can meet mobs well beyond your abilities at the start of the game.
- game is usually turnbased or has some way to pause the action so moves can be considered.
- there is usually a variety of loot and some kind of "character" leveling system

Wikipedia: Roguelike.

And just for some examples, some recent good Rogue-likes and Rogue-lights are as varied as Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, FTL...

I generally hate the concept of rogue games, and restarting with nothing. But holy shit Rogue Legacy hooked me. Being able to improve your character, even if it's slight, keeps me playing.

Got it "free" with plus, and I bet I've put more than 20 hours into it...hadn't played it for a few weeks and fired it again the other night, and now it's on the brain again.

Yeah, RL is pretty awesome. Still, I really don't get much further beyond the starting areas, even after I've leveled up my guy. I wish they had a speed governor, I'm just too old.

And admittedly, I usually play FTL on easy so I have at least a 50% chance of winning.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
24. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 16:21 jdreyer

These guys are already over $50K, well on their way to making their KS goal. It's strange, too, as this is one of the weaker game kickstarters I've seen in a while. It's just a bunch of talk and concept art.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
49. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 16:18 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on May 6, 2015, 16:02:
jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2015, 12:55:
Bummer. Thought this would be coming out this summer.

They probably could but it needs to have a robust lineup of software that uses it, it'll be interesting to watch how this unfolds but from a comfort standpoint I just can't see wearing this for extended hours.

We've had high quality head tracking for a really long time now and it is just a niche device to be used mostly in simulators. This just adds the parallax 3d to the experience for the most part and seems more cumbersome.

That's fine with me, I don't plan on gaming for more than an hour or two at at time anyway.

Live long, and prosper.

12242 Comments. 613 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo