Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11244 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 15:19 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 15:12:
I can't wait. Hasn't been a good Alien movie since Cameron's take. Prometheus was OK, but it felt about as related as the corny AvP movies. Why can Dark Horse come up with great plots for Aliens and Predator, but Hollywood gives us shit? (Well, Predators was great. Much better than Predator 2, actually.)

Meh, Lawrence Fishburne kind of ruined Predators for me.

As far as Blomkamp goes, I'm hopeful, but it's far from a sure thing. I actually had issues with a lot of the plot holes in District 9. I felt with a little more thought they could have sewn those up, and it would have been a much more cohesive story. And Elysium was just not very good. If Chappie comes out okay, I'll be hopeful, but the trailers have been underwhelming so far.

"The worst of it all is i used to ENJOY getting excited for big titles like this, but these publishers just keep ruining my love for this wonderful hobby with their endless fuckery." - Sempai
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
29. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2015, 15:10 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 15:00:

*In your location. In the US, they're the same price as a new pc release ($60). And you can sell that back for a partial refund, once you're done, something you can't do with steam.

Meh, lots of games debut cheaper on the PC than they do on consoles. IIRC XCom:UE was $60 on consoles, but only $50 on PC at launch.

"The worst of it all is i used to ENJOY getting excited for big titles like this, but these publishers just keep ruining my love for this wonderful hobby with their endless fuckery." - Sempai

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2015, 15:06 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 14:13:
John wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 13:30:
Blue wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 09:44:
Funny, that's why I bought a PC.
I got a PS4 (over the XB1) because it was cheaper at the time and I preferred the games it came with. Being more powerful and able to handle higher resolutions in some games is just a bonus.

I built a PC (over the PS4 and XB1) because it's far cheaper in the long run and I preferred the games and the far superior and precise control setup. Being more powerful and able to handle higher resolutions in every single game, as well as being able to play games from all the way back in the 80s is just a bonus.
Plus if it breaks, I can fix it myself. PC Masterrace, FTW.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 26, 2015, 15:03 jdreyer

Cpmartins wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 13:19:
Yep, it says so in the game's credits. I had to correct a lot of kids in the official forums saying the game has anime inspired artwork. If only anime was that good.

I've know Foss for a LONG time, being a big fan of classic Sci-Fi, but I didn't know he'd worked in Guardians of the Galaxy. I felt some of the ship's designs were familiar, especially the ravagers, and now I know why.

Huh, didn't realize that. I think you can see his influence a bit in No Man's Sky too, although not as much as in Homeworld.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Zero Punctuation Feb 26, 2015, 14:04 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 12:52:
Evolve is going to go down the same path Titanfall did, in a month or so noone will remember this game even existed.
Just looking at the Steam stats page max players

1,142,658 Dota 2
388,910 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
65,095 Team Fortress 2
65,248 Football Manager 2015
37,464 Garry's Mod
37,105 Sid Meier's Civilization V
33,978 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

6,674 Evolve

Yeah, but the console kiddies love it!

(apologies to nin)

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 13:58 jdreyer

FROZEN - Blood Test scene

Mashup of Frozen, and Carpenter's The Thing, done in claymation. Pretty awesome combination.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 13:50 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 10:33:
i'm not even sure anyone cares about the Aliens franchise anymore... it's been so long.

And yet, there was a lot of excitement for Alien Isolation, and is for the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, which is as old as the Alien franchise.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 26, 2015, 13:44 jdreyer

One big problem is that violence is a central mechanic in gaming from Mario all the way at the bottom, to Hatred at the top. Sex games are a much smaller niche.

Another thing is that violence is something even the smallest child understand at a certain level. But children really don't begin to have an inkling of what sex is and why we do it until they're pretty much in their teens. Part of this is societal and part is developmental. And even then they may not even have an interest/understanding if they do.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2015, 13:16 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 11:41:
I don't know I kind of lost faith in Android devs. Maybe it's not their fault, but the tablet apps are just not very well optimized, and some are not even available on tablets.
Like my bank's app is available on my phone but not on the tablet.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S with an octa core cpu so I don't think it is the issue with how powerful the tablet is.
Even some games when you compare them to the much less powerful iPad they run much better on the Apple devices than on Android.

By the way I personally have never heard anyone actually owning an Nvidia tablet, which is why I was curious how well it does.
Nvidia mobile division makes chips for a tons of tablets and phones so of course they are doing well. The new Tegra X1 is in the recently released Nexus 9 for example

Since you can only charge $2 for an android game, they tend not to put much effort into them.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 26, 2015, 13:04 jdreyer

Homeworld design is heavily inspired by Chris Foss, one of the great sci fi concept artists.  

General Discussion > How does Blues News make money?
4. Re: How does Blues News make money? Feb 26, 2015, 12:53 jdreyer

Sleep wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 04:31:
Wow i feel terrible, depriving my fave site of revenue! That thing works amazingly well, now its whitelisted and im clicking on the banners, buying the humble bundle, to make up for lost time! Im going to go around doing that for all my fave sites, thanks for the tip.

Also, if you order something from Amazon (not sure which country you're in but there are links to Amazon US, Canada, UK, and Germany) you can click on the link on Blues homepage to get to Amazon, put the stuff in your cart, and order, and Blue will get a kickback from Amazon. It's an additional way to help fund the site, which Blue basically does by himself, 365 days a year (although he does have a developer he hires from time to time to help out with coding).

And yeah, it's my favorite site too. Which might be obvious given how much I post. Blush

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 01:56 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 10:58:
Luck counts, when it works!

Glad you're back Half Elf. You were gone so long in January that I actually posted a comment asking if anyone had heard from ya.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection
29. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection Feb 26, 2015, 00:43 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 23:22:
Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 18:00:
Anytime you criticize something Creston, its expected!

Is that supposed to mean anything, or were you trying to be funny?

Well, you have been known to be strong in your opinions.

General Discussion > How does Blues News make money?
2. Re: How does Blues News make money? Feb 25, 2015, 22:23 jdreyer

Sleep wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 16:35:
Genuinely curious, theres no banners, paywalls, contributions or any kind of advertising I can see.

Blue, AKA Stephen Heaslip, is the a trust fund recipient of the wealth of Heaslip Engineering which made its fortune in aluminium and copper smelting. He's worth millions of dollars, so he does this site as a labor of love.

Seriously, dude. Whitelist Blues on your adblocker so Blue can make some money. He's got a wife and dogs to feed.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Next Month
1. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Next Month Feb 25, 2015, 20:45 jdreyer

Huh, that was fast. Seems like we just heard about this a month ago.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 25, 2015, 20:40 jdreyer

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!

Like the concept, don't like the execution.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 25, 2015, 20:34 jdreyer

Comcast expects to close to Time Warner Cable deal in early 2015.

That's not even approved yet, is it? And all the comments the FCC put out for oppose this. Comcast's definition of "optimistic" sound more like "smoking crack" than "has a positive outlook."

22. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection Feb 25, 2015, 18:39 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 18:27:
Some of the missions were pretty poorly balanced. As I stated before I recall ragequitting more than once because I kep getting smoked on a certain mission. The overall ambiance made it worthwhile, the art, the design, the music, were all pretty stellar. I liked just watching ships flying around.

Yeah, some of the best ship design in any media last 20 years.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2015, 18:35 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 17:38:
1badmf wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 17:25:
that's what i assumed from yesterday. like i said, miraculous right? i can't imagine how that's even physically possible, especially for the battery. Scope have you opened it up and looked inside the battery compartment?

also: so it wasn't, a dildo, blue? XD

I believe I did a couple years back, I think there was some corrosion in there. But sometimes I go foggy, I sort of don't want to open it now in case of breaking it, I have trust in it now. It really is a neat little talking point to some friends. And just maybe, maybe the sign I asked for!

I wonder if it's directly beneath a power line in the ceiling and the EMF is either charging the battery or the wires within the light. In such a case, moving the light will make it go out.

18. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection Feb 25, 2015, 18:27 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 18:11:
It's a rock-paper-scissors format for the units. Mousing over the units in the Build menu tells you exactly what each unit is strong against and weak against.

Also, IIRC there's kind of a DPS-tank mechanic where you put assault frigates in the front to soak up damage and keep the weak but devastating ion frigates in the rear to destroy enemy cap ships.

11244 Comments. 563 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo