Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11633 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2015, 13:09 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 11:27:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 08:53:
The bigger problem with 4K is even those who know what it is don't care.

Exactly. 1080, hell even 720, are good enough for me. I won't be upgrading until I actually need a new monitor/tv, probably in about 5 years from now.

By then there might actually be some 4K content out.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 23, 2015, 13:08 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 11:13:
They should hold the event at Lake Titticaca. And their mascot should be either the Booby or the Titmouse.

Or maybe Grand Teton National Park.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2015, 11:58 jdreyer

California's about to run out of water.

Man, that's some scary shit. I'm sure people will have drinking water, but the lack of water for farming could decimate Cali agriculture. Cali is one of the most productive agricultural regions in the world, and produces things not grown anywhere else, like almonds. You let those trees die, and no almonds for 30 years.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 23, 2015, 11:38 jdreyer

How much blood do you have to donate to get access to the patch?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > RUNNING WITH RIFLES Next Week
5. Re: RUNNING WITH RIFLES Next Week Mar 23, 2015, 11:32 jdreyer

Yes, the title is actually in ALL CAPS.

I'm kind of digging the watercolorly art style.

It's a shame that the environments don't appear to be destructible. Wonder if they're going to do that at some point.

Also, I hope that soundtrack on the trailer isn't the in-game music...

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2
8. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 11:26 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 10:28:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 10:21:
Facts hurt huh?

Are they facts, though? I agree the how and why of Broken Age running over budget and out of time deserve a critical look (and I'm very salty towards DF for the unrelated DF-9 fuckup), but I honestly didn't really get the impression that they wasted dough on frivolous stuff.

Yeah, I'm still pissed about the DF9 debacle as I really was looking forward to it, but I'm glad he pulled this one out and shipped it. I didn't want to play the part one until this came out, so now I can start thinking about picking this up.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
32. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 23, 2015, 00:47 jdreyer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 23:20:
I'm worried SC will eventually start to crumble under it's own weight as the realities of a monolithic project rears its ugly head.

I think the longer things go on, the greater the chance becomes of that happening. Still, staying positive and appreciating what they've achieved so far. If the FPS module turns out well, that could go far in removing some doubt. Ditto for when the first part of SQ42 comes out.

Live long, and prosper.

28. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 21:42 jdreyer

Gib007 wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 18:15:
Before we start complaining about version 1.1 not being a real version 1.0+ as it's not even in Beta, let's remember this is "Arena Commander", not "Star Citizen", despite the title of this news update on Blues News. "Arena Commander" is in version 1.1. It so happens that "Arena Commander" is like an Alpha of sorts. It can be version 10.0 and it means nothing related to "Star Citizen's" version, as a game.

Also, I think Google Chrome was in beta for two years until version 5.0, IIRC. And GMail was in beta longer than that.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2015, 21:18 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 14:04:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:45:
Maybe you can get a pop up canopy for rainy days? Wouldn't let you grill in the snow, but should work for the rain. Might need to make some stands for it to get it a bit higher so it doesn't get singed.

I was thinking more along the lines of this one as it looks like the top will allow smoke to escape properly.

Reviews are positive, but I'd worry about it rusting out being made of steel. Once it's set up, you'd have to completely disassemble it to move it inside. With a popup one, you can put it up and take it down at your whim, and let it dry out in the garage.

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2015, 13:45 jdreyer

Maybe you can get a pop up canopy for rainy days? Wouldn't let you grill in the snow, but should work for the rain. Might need to make some stands for it to get it a bit higher so it doesn't get singed.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2015, 13:35 jdreyer

Cities: Skylines still number 1. Dear EA, you done goofed!  

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 13:34 jdreyer

Nom4d wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:30:
From what I understand, the way it went was they had the module Arena Commander, which was just the dogfighting part of the game. That went from 0.9 to 1.0. But now the groundwork has been added in for more modules that will also be added into the full game like the planetside Social Module and the FPS module. So the name Arena Commander didn't suffice any more for what it was going to be. So they instead of Arena Commander 1.1 they went with Star Citizen 1.1.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Live long, and prosper.

7. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 13:32 jdreyer

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 12:57:
Let the games begin! Popcorn

What's the over/under on 100 comments? 12 hours?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: removed Mar 22, 2015, 10:58 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 09:48:
Don't worry about it harlock. I have standards, you're safe.

Heh. That made me crack up.

There are cultural, systemic, and technological reasons why things are the way they are right now.

1. Technology like the internet has certainly brought light to police abuse. It's hard to know if there's simply more of it today, or if it's simply more visible.

2. Crime was rampant in the 70s and 80s, and the population turned a blind eye to abuse in order to stem that tide. Crime has fallen dramatically today, but the police remain unchanged.

3. DAs need cop testimony and cooperation, so they only ever prosecute the most egregious police crimes. Add to that is that the police union has very specialized lawyers that come to officers' defense. They get the very best representation.

4. The militarization of the police through the 1033 act has given police access to more powerful weapons than they could otherwise afford. Thus the proliferation of SWAT teams and the ability to roll out the entire police department in full military gear to counter the peaceful Ferguson protests for example.

5. The cultural shift toward using more military weapons and tactics by the police. SWAT teams are routinely used to serve warrants for example. Serve warrants. The shift toward these tactics has resulted in deaths to both police and civilians that would not have occurred in the past. And that shift has seeped into even normal policing as we see homeless or mentally ill people routinely shot by patrol officers at range because they happen to be holding a screwdriver.

6. The overuse of the "war" metaphor such as the "War on Drugs" or the "War on Terrorism." When this phraseology is used, it creates enemies out of huge blocks of society. When people are the enemy, they are dehumanized, and it becomes that much more justified in shooting them.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
26. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 12:44 jdreyer

There are game types for which a controller is superior: brawlers, platformers, arcade racers. But I definitely prefer playing RPGs with kbd/mouse.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 21, 2015, 12:36 jdreyer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:22:
Xil wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:00:
because there is no such thing as a virus in iOS, how dare these apps make people think that !!

Actually, you are correct, there are no known iOS virus' unless you jailbreak. The iOS sandboxing rules and app review process pretty much guarantee that. It's been proven that most of those apps do nothing, they don't have the system privileges to do anything useful. The question is why were they even approved in the first place?
What you're saying is the app review process is infallible but the let through these do nothing apps. Doesn't the latter fact invalidate the former opinion?

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2015, 12:26 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:19:
I also see that ARS is still rabidly pushing its GW religion...;) Last I saw you could still get the official robes and hoods that are required for their climate-change "meetings"...
All I read was a list of facts. I'd like to know what parts of the article qualify as "religion."

I'll grant one thing: climate scientists have been pretty inaccurate. They've continuously underestimated both the pace and severity of global warming over the decades.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 21, 2015, 12:01 jdreyer

Do no evil indeed. Power corrupts.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 21, 2015, 11:59 jdreyer

I hope they get a native English speaker to help them with their dialog. The pitch text is pretty rough.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
22. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 11:47 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:29:
There's no evidence here that it's a crap port. If you just wanna be negative for the sake of being negative, have at it - it's quite a tradition here. Personally I'll judge it for myself by playing it. They have a pretty good track record with the previous two games IMO.
If you want to be negative about Blues News commenters being negative have at it - it's quite a tradition here. Personally I'll judge them for myself by reading them.

Live long, and prosper.

11633 Comments. 582 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo