Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 14649 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
3. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Jan 15, 2016, 12:56 jdreyer

"Alpha" as defined by Star Citizen: single system proof of concept.  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M
38. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 02:39 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 18:38:
btw limit theory is still in permanent limbo... apparently the dev had a mental breakdown at some point.. supposedly its still being worked on, there was some post about entering "the golden days" about a year ago, but no word since...

glad i didnt back it, also thought dude would have cut his losses and at least put out something by now...

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there, and also meet deadlines quicker... i dont think there is anyway it will be moderately complete before next year, even if it is released sooner

Actually Josh recovered from his mental illness last spring and work continues apace on Limit Theory. However, in order to keep his sanity, he has scaled back working hours to a normal 40-45 hours per week at an offsite location instead of working out of his bedroom 80 hours a week as he did previously.

He's currently refactoring the game engine into multiple components, since he initially wrote everything in one exec, which caused him scalability problems. The plan is to release to beta around summer and maybe commercial release in the fall.

Although he no longer posts regular updates, he's active in his own forum. His posts can be read here.

Live long, and prosper.

35. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:36 jdreyer

wonkawonka wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 10:53:
I also played it a lot at launch but got burned by it. I expected a lot deeper non-MP stuff and it's just not there. I have no time to allocate to complex MP play, I just want to be able to do interesting SP missions and go through a story.
I'll wait until the content is there, assuming that by then the learning curve hasn't gotten so long and steep that it's become essentially useless for the time-challenged player.
I'm just getting started with it, but I find that most people play it as a SP game even though it's online MP.

Live long, and prosper.

34. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:34 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 09:56:
I need to pickup a joystick I think so I can actually play this...
I found that my Thrustmaster T Flight isn't precise enough and lacks the buttons to make it easy to play so I'm in the market for a new one.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 18:42 jdreyer

Dan Carlin had a good podcast on this situation a couple of days ago. He actually lives 200 miles from there.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 14, 2016, 18:28 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 09:53:
Microsoft finally has a proper way to opt out of Windows 7-8 to Windows 10 upgrades.

I'm more than a little skeptical, seeing as one of the keys MS mentions in the one people were saying the other day gets modified back by windows patches.

Did they claim it was a permanent fix?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 18:22 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 11:07:
2016: the year of the dead and the dying. Holy shit.

If things keep up this way Blue might have to make RIP its own section.

Live long, and prosper.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 18:18 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 17:18:
Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 15:26:
The only enjoyable part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was Rickman chewing the scenery. Loved him in Die Hard as well.

loved his approach - at first glance typically british, upper crust snob. but then you see his fiery intelligence, his intense sarcasm, and above all his fearless self-deprecation.

i think his role that i enjoyed the most was as metatron in Dogma.
Beautifully put. He was so watchable in anything he was in.

He was my fav char in the HP movies. I loved the way he sneered "Mister Potter". I even dressed up as him for Halloween one year.

RIP

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Game Jolt Client
4. Re: Game Jolt Client Jan 14, 2016, 05:02 jdreyer

It's weird, it's like the cheap Chinese knockoff Steam:

Age of Aincrad
instead of Age of Empires
No one has to die instead of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Super Wolfenstein HD instead of Wolfenstein: New Order
Uppertale instead of Undertale

And on and on. Also, Pokemon??? WTF?

Some of the games like Fran Bow are also on Steam and Gog though.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Game Jolt Client
3. Re: Game Jolt Client Jan 14, 2016, 04:42 jdreyer

Jolt!  

Live long, and prosper.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 01:50 jdreyer

Devinoch wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 14:04:
Shit, he offered his song "Golden Years" to Elvis Presley, WHO DECLINED IT.

This? This was the kind of musical legend we will never see again.

OMFG, can you imagine Elvis singing "Golden Years???"

*mind = blown*

Live long, and prosper.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 01:07 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 15:49:
Retired wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 12:55:
Buy Carharrt boots, they will last forever and they backup their products.

Or Sorel boots, which I believe are the Minnesota official boot.

I have a pair of Sorel waterproof hiking/winter boots and can confirm that they never quit and look great. Which is good, since Mordor is a bit muddy and it rains all the time.

So you're saying they're great when it rains soot and ash and you need to splash through lava puddles?

Live long, and prosper.

24. Re: Dear Powerball Winner: Take Our Advice and Take the Annuity. Jan 14, 2016, 01:06 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 13:51:
I think if you are under a certain age you should take the annuity. What is that age? Well, it is a 29 year annuity, so if you were 80... why bother. Then again, if you are 25.. annuity for sure -- for all the reasons articulated. How long are you going to live? What age did your grandparents live to?

For me, while I might live another 29 years, I'd suspect the over/under statistical number given my family history, health, and general lethargic life style is in the 20-25 range. And since I have very limited family, I'm not worried about leaving money for anyone. So give me the cash. Hell, the goal will be to end up spending it all before I die.

They'll make a movie: "Tact's Millions"

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video
6. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video Jan 14, 2016, 01:02 jdreyer

"Multiplayer features pretty prominently"

Three Moves Ahead discussed a while back the results of some survey that showed the vast majority of RTS players never use the online component of the game. Hope they're putting a lot of effort into single player.

I hope there's a speed governor. I like to play with the speed set 70-80% of full speed.

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 13:14 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 10:20:
Its personal for me, Biden wrote

the only reason almost anyone ever does anything useful, and also the reason why humanity is failing as a species... when mother nature is kicking you in the ass, its already too late to steer the course, plot your destiny, pick your path

I think it's just kind of how humans (and animals) evolved. Things become prioritized when they trigger our flight or fight response, and your child in danger tends to trigger that.

On a related note, I love how hardcore conservatives become pro-gay when one of their family comes out of the closet. "It's personal for me" indeed.

Also, timing-wise there are a lot of cancer curing options that deserve to be explored and funded that weren't around even five years ago. It's a good time for a big influx in cancer research.

Lastly, no talk of low-hanging fruit like prevention. Taxing "food" products that contribute to cancer risks like sugary snacks, soda, and chips and allocating a lot more money for environmental pollution enforcement would go far in preventing cancers from occurring in the first place.

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 12:54 jdreyer

I got these insulated Columbia Bugbear boots that I fell in love with because they were super warm and comfortable.

Well that, and they have the super-awesome name Bugbear! C'mon Blue, 'fess up. You really only got them because of the cool name.

Also, Bobbob would remind you that had you taken his advice several years ago and moved to Cali, you wouldn't need winter boots.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2016, 12:45 jdreyer

Never mind Gone Home for consoles, make Tacoma already!

What's that? You need that sweet console cash to finish Tacoma? Okay then, carry on.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Patch Addresses Cheating
1. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Patch Addresses Cheating Jan 13, 2016, 12:43 jdreyer

There are things you can't know until your software is out in the wild, but didn't any of these issues come up during the open beta?

FPS cheating has been a thing for more than 2 decades now. It still kind of boggles that companies haven't figured out a way around this yet.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
23. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 13, 2016, 00:45 jdreyer

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 00:28:
No thanks, Origin will never be on my PCs.

You don't have Steam? You don't have GoG Galaxy? You don't have Battle.net? Star Citizen or E:D clients?

Although the install procedure was totally broken when I installed it 2 years ago, it's been fine since. I fire it up when I want to play a game I have on Origin, and leave it off otherwise. Interested to know why you are opposed to Origin, and if you have other clients installed.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
9. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 21:35 jdreyer

EA, the Netflix of gaming.

Not sure why everyone hates on Origin.

Live long, and prosper.

14649 Comments. 733 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo