Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13149 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 04:46 jdreyer

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 01:08:
1. Require insurance companies cover mental health 100% for all plans. Currently most insurance companies only cover it partially, if at all.

2. Implement some common sense changes in gun laws, supported by 80-90% of Americans: back ground checks, closing the gun show loophole, etc.

3. Implement education reforms so that poor people have more economic opportunity. As well, gun violence is perpetrated disproportionately by the poor and less educated.

4. Implement economic reforms so that the decades long increase in income inequality is reversed.

I love how robotic and soulless this response is. Almost like it was pretty well copied and pasted from a candidate website, with just enough of the wording changed around to make it not a completely obvious job.

Wow, I feel sorry for you that you know so little that when someone posts something semi-coherent that you don't have the ability to imagine they could come up with it on their own, never mind yourself. I spent a couple of minutes formulating this response in my mind, but had no need to look anything up. It's all stuff that is either obvious or has been discussed in previous stories on gun control and mass shootings.

If the US is going to be a place where guns are owned in numbers equal to the citizenry, then issues that exacerbate their use have to be mitigated. My suggestions are simply that.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2015, 04:38 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 20:23:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 10:49:
LipSyncing road trip.
Now I know what HELL is like.

Um no. He drove the entire trip, therefore he can do whatever the hell he wants.
If she was smart she would have taken 3 or 4 Benedryls, and passed out and arrived after a nice nap.

Don't feel bad Blue, I had a suicidal microwave (still do since I haven't thrown it out yet but in the kitchen). It likes to keep adding mins to food. So I set the microwave for 8 mins (cooking some potatoes) and I come back and it's on 77 mins and climbing.

Since the end result would be your death by house fire, I'd say that microwave is more homicidal than suicidal.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Aug 15, 2015, 16:04 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 08:40:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 19:04:
EDIT: Hey Blue, looks like the link has an unclosed tag that autodirects the user to the videosift page. Makes it hard to comment.

Dang. Sorry about that.

No worries, I had strictly selfish motives: I wanted to see others' comments on that video!

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2015, 15:56 jdreyer

It was pretty shocking how quickly this escalated, as I wasn't out of the kitchen for more than a minute before discovering the problem

Blue,

You only thought you were gone a minute but in fact you were on the alien spacecraft for over twelve minutes.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 15:52 jdreyer

Years after the Sandy Hook shooting, promised research on guns and games isn't happening…

Because any link, if it exists at all, is extremely weak. And there are much more concrete ways to address the issue first:

1. Require insurance companies cover mental health 100% for all plans. Currently most insurance companies only cover it partially, if at all.

2. Implement some common sense changes in gun laws, supported by 80-90% of Americans: back ground checks, closing the gun show loophole, etc.

3. Implement education reforms so that poor people have more economic opportunity. As well, gun violence is perpetrated disproportionately by the poor and less educated.

4. Implement economic reforms so that the decades long increase in income inequality is reversed.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 15, 2015, 15:29 jdreyer

8ch can have some pretty disgusting users, but I didn't see anything illegal. Not sure why they're being banned.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 15, 2015, 03:47 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 23:38:
For those curious about what's so secret about the trade pact, it's not a huge deal. I know everybody loves to bash the "behind close doors" mentality on it but the reason they are hiding it is because they believe the average person won't understand it and will overreact. Both are true.

Here's the lo-down, which I feel safe posting to this relatively quiet site: we're making concessions but expecting some in return. The general idea is that we have more say over the regulations applied to foreign (read: Chinese) companies and have more power to drive a wedge between the state government and these businesses. Essentially, it gives us a way to make sure safety standards and human rights are respected. In return, we're basically selling the (our) average citizen out.

That last part is where people would flip if they read the bill. These are the same people who cry out against Chinese companies doing whatever they want, poor safety standards, human rights violations, etc., but they're not willing to trade any of their property or rights to gain that for the foreign workers. They expect Chinese companies to be culpable with nothing in return but "our business."

Actually the trade agreement sells out American workers, and Chinese companies keep doing whatever their government wants them to do. And the Chinese government continues subsidizing industries to undercut ours while manipulating their currency. Reek, reek, it rhymes with meek. This deal stinks because it gives up real protections for ones that other countries will pay lip service to, but largely ignore at will.

There, I've explained it. It's definitely a case where our government thinks it knows better than us and it is willing to go to extremes to get it done. Exactly like Obamacare (The Affordable Healthcare Act) in premise, just for trade. Both had secrets, this one just has more because the results will have profound effects on global markets.

Well, except that the O-care document wasn't locked in a secret room. It was available for anyone to read, and we had months of debates on it before congress voted. So, actually this trade bill is nothing like that.

A better example is NAFTA, which was also largely negotiated behind closed doors. And the result of that was:

1. close to a million manufacturing jobs lost to Mexico
2. Cheaper wages forced on American workers whose jobs were under threat to move to Mexico
3. Destruction of Mexican agricultural industries, displacing millions of workers, hundreds of thousands of whom came to the US illegally to work
4. The influence of NAFTA across the globe where the benefits of trade deals went to capital while labor bore the brunt of the drawbacks. It's no coincidence that that 1% have seen their salaries skyrocket 200% while the average salary has increased 1% since NAFTA was instituted. This trade deal delivers more of that.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 14, 2015, 22:53 jdreyer

Politicians can only view secret trade pact in special viewing room.

Can't let the peeps see how badly we're screwing them over!

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Into the Black Aug 14, 2015, 19:04 jdreyer

That is awesome.

In that girl's defense, she didn't look like she could afford the food she stole. NOT!

EDIT: Hey Blue, looks like the link has an unclosed tag that autodirects the user to the videosift page. Makes it hard to comment.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 18:52 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:56:
Stop letting people graduate in liberal fucking arts and medieval history and english literature etc.

Who do you think did all the writing and graphics for The Witcher?

Live long, and prosper.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 18:50 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:34:

I am collector so I have never been a fan of digital purchases. I like knowing that as long as I keep the physical media and the console I have access to the game regardless of what the manufacturer decides to support or if they stay in business.

I hear you, but box copies are getting more and more rare. At some point all game purchases will be digital, except for perhaps super expensive collector's editions.

Live long, and prosper.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 18:46 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:24:
Don't get me wrong I think that its a smart PR move and I like the precedent it sets for the future. Can't argue with free either. I'm just not sure I would really use it. I was all stoked for PS Now, it runs very well for me but I barely used it in the free trial due to all of the newer games that keep coming out.

I think if they stick with the AMD-PC architecture and just bump up proc and GPU speed for the next gen console, backward compat will be guaranteed and automatic.

Live long, and prosper.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2015, 13:33 jdreyer

Science: How to Slice Steak.

I hope they do Science: How to Slice Tofu, for all of those vegetarians out there.

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 13:18 jdreyer

There are stories of Steve Jobs firing people for breaking NDA on the newest Apple device 30 minutes early. It's terrible what happened, but Nintendo especially takes its PR very seriously and is always secretive about everything else. Throw in the fact that they're a Japanese company and the face lost by having an employee go rogue further exacerbates the issue. Personally, I think the punishment is too harsh, but I'm not surprised. And now everyone knows the consequences, so people will be much more careful to dish inside info anonymously.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 14, 2015, 13:10 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 12:11:
Guillermo Del Toro 'will never again get involved in video games

Good. Thank you for improving videogames.

It's fine, I just want him to make another Pacific Rim.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend
10. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend Aug 14, 2015, 05:45 jdreyer

Wow, no positive comments at all. Was hoping for something similar to Alpha Centauri, sounds like they missed the boat completely.  

Live long, and prosper.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 13, 2015, 22:15 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 15:38:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 15:04:
Ecthelion wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:22:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 14:19:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 12:34:
  • Crackdown 3 (finally) proves why Microsoft put Xbox One's head in the cloud.

• I played the first one and it was pretty fun but...aren't these guys supposed to be cops? How does destroying the city translate into " Protect and Serve". I can see the news interview with the police chief now...

"Chief, you're officers did 40 billion dollars in damage and cost the lives of at lease 1000 people. How do you respond to these allegations of blatant disregard for human life?"

"Well, we got our man. Now the citizens of this fine town, however many may have survived, can breathe easier knowing this criminal scum is off our decimated streets."

Haven't you been reading the news the past decade, and especially over the past year regarding the police?
    Either reading the news or watched Man of Steel. It's okay if Supes destroys a city as long as he defeats the villain!
    I think that's why the next movie is Batman v Superman. All that destruction pissed Bats off.

Rumor is: There's a scene in MOS where somebodys (I forget whos) laserbeam cuts through the side of a building. In one of the more recent trailers (for the new movie), you see that same scene, but from the ground, from Bruce's perspective. Consensus is that was his building, and his employees inside who were killed.

I can't find the gif now, but see here, about halfway down.

edit: Found it!

Heh, that's interesting. I'm more interested in this now than I was for the first trailer.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > The Solus Project Trailer
    3. Re: The Solus Project Trailer Aug 13, 2015, 22:12 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 21:48:
    this is also a tutorial series, where the designer shows you how to make this game from the ground up with Unreal 4 - i think most of the programming was initially done in "blueprints" too, not sure if he ported to C+ later

really cool stuff btw, especially the skybox weather system

Huh, that's some interesting background. I just love how he's created an alien world full of mystery. Sometimes you get tired of the traditional settings of first person games: high fantasy, war-torn battlefields, or apocalyptic futures.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details
    13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details Aug 13, 2015, 22:03 jdreyer

Orogogus wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 15:35:
    jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 14:28:
    Battlefront 2 didn't have a campaign. It did have bots for every single mode so you could play offline alone, coop vs. bots, or full multiplayer without bots.

Battlefront 2 totally had a campaign, the whole Rise of the Empire thing that had you play as the 501st Stormtrooper Legion.

Really? I had no clue. I'll have to check that out later tonight. This has been on my harddrive since it released, strange I never noticed.

Live long, and prosper.

3. Re: Into the Black Aug 13, 2015, 22:01 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 19:45:
    Yeah, more plastic in the water supply that's what's needed. Don't do anything like get rid of lawns or recycle water or build grey water systems and desalinization plants on a large scale or anything because that would make sense.

Rolleyes

Yeah, the not only Cali,but the entire Western US needs to get its shit together. That Israel article you posted the other day really highlighted that.

Live long, and prosper.

13149 Comments. 658 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo