Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 12272 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2015, 14:50 jdreyer

I think the most interesting thing is how in newer games since the NVidia 9-series has been released have been tweaked for Maxwell only, but 6 and 7-series (Kepler) have not been tweaked. They mentioned they've seen several games this year where a 960 beats a 780, whereas games before the 9-series was released the 780 beats the 960 easily.  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 11, 2015, 14:27 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on May 11, 2015, 10:20:
Exactly why Verizon needs to be broken up.

I'm not sure I'd say that. At least in the mobile space there's more competition than there is in wired internet.

I think this is more an argument in favor of muni/state/federal broadband. Just like the roads, it makes sense for the government to provide the infrastructure for wired connectivity. Once in place private companies can compete on it. Then you'll get actual wired competition, not Comcast and TWC.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 11, 2015, 14:22 jdreyer

Illumin wrote on May 11, 2015, 13:19:
I love my internet but I love my body parts even more. It's easy to say you would give up a finger, but put that baby down on a chopping block and a couple of guys holding your hand down and another one holding a meat cleaver. I bet their story would change. If not they have an addiction issue.

Heh, this.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
27. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 14:18 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on May 11, 2015, 10:01:
I thought it was a very good game overall, room for improvement, yes?

2.1 million isn't bad at all. What did the other recent Alien games do?

Why did this game cost so much to make? Pretty straight forward engine use.

I paid $20, this game went on deep sale fairly quick.

Did they release the cost to produce this game? Usually something like this costs several 10s of millions to make and market. So if they only made $50M revenue on 2.1M in sales (assuming avg of $25 per sale), that might not have been enough to cover everything, never mind the 20% profit shareholders expect.

- Engine. A:I used a custom engine built from the ground up for this game.
- License. They had to pay a hefty sum for the "Alien" name I'm sure.
- Assets. The assets in A:I are unique and unlike anything else out there. In addition to building them, they had to spend a lot of time researching and designing in order to create the unified 1970s sci fi feel. There aren't a lot of real-world references like if you were building a tree or car for GTA.
- Gameplay. Gameplay in A:I is fairly unique, so you have to spend extra time and effort iterating the mechanics to get it right, although it sounds like they didn't do that since it's a bit to linear.
- AI. The AI in A:I is unique and had to be coded differently than any AI they'd worked on before. Again, lots of iteration required to get it right, and even then it sounds like they didn't quite nail it.

All that being said, this is a niche game and if they were expecting 5M in sales, they were off their gourd. Seriously.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
25. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 13:50 jdreyer

Darks wrote on May 11, 2015, 09:46:
This is really not surprising news about the low sales. Not everyone is looking to play a stealth game about sneaking around to survive.

I prefer running around with hundreds on the screen and laying waste to them. I'm pretty sure many other Aliens fans were looking for that type of game too.

But we've had a half dozen of those already. In fact there was one the year before this released. We complain about Call of Duty, but expect Call of Aliens?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 20:58 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on May 10, 2015, 20:28:
jacobvandy wrote on May 10, 2015, 18:07:
I don't even...
ok cutter's got to be setting us up for something cuz that's like the 3rd time he's gone with the epic whoosh.
On the one hand it's Cutter so he could be taking the piss.
On the other hand it's Cutter it could be a complete miss.

Live long, and prosper.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 20:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2015, 18:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2015, 17:10:
Cutter wrote on May 10, 2015, 15:04:
Breakfast In Bed Served To Mom Who Just Got Eaten Out

Damn! Really? That's just nasty. No one needs to go there.

Did you read the article?

Yes. You obviously didn't.

“Ooh, what a treat!” said Taylor while receiving a tray of scrambled eggs, pancakes, and orange juice, sitting up on the same damp sheets upon which she had moments earlier moaned in pleasure as her husband’s firm tongue rapidly contorted in and around her slick vagina.

Maybe you've got mommy issues and think that's hot, but for most normal people that's disgusting. Is that how you think about mom? Getting her salad tossed and railed by your dad?

*facepalm*

Live long, and prosper.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 17:22 jdreyer

Orangutan goes ape for his little charges.

This is a terrible idea. At some point, the orangutan is going to need to be separated from the tigers, and will get very depressed, since it won't understand that they turn into killers. Baby goats or pigs or even puppies I could see, but tigers?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 10, 2015, 17:19 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on May 10, 2015, 17:11:
A Jamiroquai game? There's no WAY this can fail.

I was hoping it was a game where you went to clubs, drove fast cars, and banged hot women while writing cool dance tunes. Kind of like GTA! Except without the writing songs part.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 17:10 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2015, 15:04:
Breakfast In Bed Served To Mom Who Just Got Eaten Out

Damn! Really? That's just nasty. No one needs to go there.

Did you read the article?

Live long, and prosper.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 17:06 jdreyer

Shok wrote on May 10, 2015, 16:40:
RE: Jumping from cornice to cornice, 40 stories up.

OMG, that is crazy. I will not be watching it again.

One errant gust of wind, and it would have been the end of that dude. I don't even think a safety chute would have helped him, as he would have been too close to the side of the building. Assuming the whole thing isn't some extremely well-done CG, of course.

There have been crazier things done though. Great documentary, I think it is still on Netflix.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 10, 2015, 17:01 jdreyer

Anyone playing Toxikk? My plan is to wait until it's finished, but I'm wondering how it's coming along.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free
21. Re: All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free May 10, 2015, 16:46 jdreyer

Slick wrote on May 10, 2015, 11:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2015, 09:48:
Slick wrote on May 9, 2015, 17:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 9, 2015, 14:14:
As long as EA releases games with a season pass I will bitch about it

pretty sure they also sell them a-la carte. you just save like ten bucks for buying all of them. that's all "premium" is, it's a $10 savings. don't spend it all in one place.

Yeah but thing is.. those DLC are not expansive enough to be worth 15€ imo... I got China Rising as a test, and was massively disappointed. (and nearly no server run this)

china rising was pretty shitty, err wait, was the silk road map in that pack? i like that one.

and for jdreyer, all battlefield games have always shipped with *around* 10 maps. this is a fact dating back almost 2 decades, so i'm not sure how you can be blindsided thinking that you're being sold half the game, then the other half *piece by piece*.

you know was also been around for decades? expansion packs. If you don't like the gameplay, hate FPS games, hate the low-tic netcode, the gunplay, vehicles, or big maps, then i completetly understand why people would not enjoy battlefield. however getting butthurt because they sell expansion packs... it's well beyond me to comprehend where this unmovable wall of hate has sprung from.

i miss the good ol days when people just said EA was evil, and left it at that.

It has nothing to do with the number of maps. It has to do with planning the DLC from the start. BF 42 and BF 2 didn't have a "season pass." Their DLC was designed and produced after the game had shipped based on the excellent sales the initial game. They put all of their effort into making the initial game, not planning out "how can I best monetize this?" There's a big difference in that approach, and it reflects on the game itself.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2015, 16:57.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 10, 2015, 15:49 jdreyer

Axis wrote on May 10, 2015, 15:32:
JD, saying "Links" is something I won't respond to the way you expect -- it's a weak and lazy way to try to disprove something of common sense or experience in the matter. I could dismissively say "Links" to 95% of forum statements, and in the end just look the fool.

This is compounded to absurdity with your example of spamming "LINKS?" due to the subject matter being experienced by every taxpayer in America.

Of which only a handful would disagree because they are not taxpayers, or so far down the partisan rabbit hole that they'd be forced to rethink their convictions if they admitted what was read rang true.

If you're going to make wild assertions, you need to back it up with evidence. It's just that simple. We can't have a rational argument otherwise.

Live long, and prosper.

11. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 10, 2015, 15:48 jdreyer

harlock wrote on May 10, 2015, 10:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2015, 03:39:
Axis wrote on May 9, 2015, 15:16:
You tell him Tom...

...while you sit atop the Govt Business that wastes millions upon billions of dollars we are forced to hand-over...
Links?

...not just without competition to choose otherwise, but unlawful to compete with in many situations...
Links??

...with no recourse for us who are forced to pay for Govt Business which historically proves is the epitome of ineptness, inefficiency and prodigal spending...
LINKS?

...with a mindless and detached machine view of your customers...

...taxpayers.
I'm sure Comcast and TWC will treat you like a human being. Oh, wait:

According to the results of an extensive new study that many people will find unsurprising considering the results of similar surveys in the past, Time Warner Cable and Comcast are the two most hated brands in America.

oh hey, where are the LINKS that say indians drive like shit because they think their lives are in the hands of the gods?

links? where are the links?

yeh, thats what i thought you fucking hypocrit

It's true, I couldn't find that exact article. I read it many years ago, but I did at least partially support my contention by posting the story that India has the highest death rate of any nation on Earth. Even if I couldn't support my exact argument, there's obviously something culturally going on there that's causing them to have a death rate 6 times greater than GBR. Axis supported his statements with nothing.

Live long, and prosper.

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 10, 2015, 03:39 jdreyer

Axis wrote on May 9, 2015, 15:16:
You tell him Tom...

...while you sit atop the Govt Business that wastes millions upon billions of dollars we are forced to hand-over...
Links?

...not just without competition to choose otherwise, but unlawful to compete with in many situations...
Links??

...with no recourse for us who are forced to pay for Govt Business which historically proves is the epitome of ineptness, inefficiency and prodigal spending...
LINKS?

...with a mindless and detached machine view of your customers...

...taxpayers.
I'm sure Comcast and TWC will treat you like a human being. Oh, wait:

According to the results of an extensive new study that many people will find unsurprising considering the results of similar surveys in the past, Time Warner Cable and Comcast are the two most hated brands in America.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 10, 2015, 02:21 jdreyer

Alamar wrote on May 9, 2015, 19:15:
Was just checking this game out earlier... Played some Strike Suit Zero, but the crashes are making me want to say 'fuck it'... Also realized my Origin acct has a few Wing Commanders, so I may give that a whirl...

Don't much care for Elite's current price, so was thinking about looking for alternatives, but now I can't pick up a key (on ebay or wherever), as I can't be sure it's not one linked to this announcement... The extra key isn't meant for extra people; just convenience... But they'll be sold... A lot...

There are a couple of free versions of Elite out there:

Pioneer

and

Oolite

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black May 10, 2015, 01:06 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on May 9, 2015, 07:49:
jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2015, 03:41:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2015, 01:19:
Here's one from Ontario.

Truck passes a snowplow hitting another truck.

Driver of other truck later found and charged

Damn, that poor guy. Here's the story of them catching the other driver.

Two data points is only anecdotal, not of any statistical significance, but I noticed the names of both men (both the truck driver and the Camaro) were Indian-ish: Akmal Hayat and Kiran Thapa. India has about the same number of cars and Britian, but nearly six times the number of accidents. Apparently, the reason is cultural: Indians believe there's no point in being careful drivers since your fate is in the hands of the gods. I wonder if that attitude played a part here or not.

personal experience or anecdotal evidence?

I read it in an article many years ago the cultural reasons Indians have the highest accident rate in the world. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it or I would have linked.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
40. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 10, 2015, 00:58 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 9, 2015, 04:40:
jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2015, 22:54:
Dude, I have never even owned an ATI/AMD video card, but it seems obvious to me the responsibility in on the devs to reach out and get the attention of the only two discreet GPU makers on the planet. They can't afford to sit around and not follow up for months and months on an unanswered email or whatever. If they've been calling and emailing AMD weekly with no response, then you can blame AMD, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

I get your point, but a decent DEV would rather ask NVIDIA and INTEL which are the actual number 1 and number 2

I said "discrete GPUs." Intel makes integrated GPUs.

Yes, I used the wrong "discrete" the first time.

Also, what Slick and Timmeh said.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free
14. Re: All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free May 10, 2015, 00:47 jdreyer

Slick wrote on May 9, 2015, 17:15:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 9, 2015, 16:46:
For me to get interested in BF4, they'd need to give premium away for free or bundle the main game and premium and sell it for $9.99 total. Since that will never happen they can go and shove their free stuff right up their dumb ass!

i'm sure this will happen eventually. for what it's worth, the vanilla maps in BF4 i thought were alot stronger than BF3, and where BF3's expansion packs each had a unique enticing flavor to them, BF4's expansions all fell flat. The naval one that mimics 2142's titan mode was probably the best, but again, it's like a year old, no one plays it anymore.

If they built in bots and allowed modding people would still be playing it.

Live long, and prosper.

12272 Comments. 614 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo