Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13212 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2015, 23:15 jdreyer

Okay, how fucked up is this. The name "Anakin" broke into the top 1000 for baby names. Luke, yes. Han, absolutely. Even Chewie would be okay. C3PO not so much, but never, never Anakin. Why would anyone want to spend the rest of their lives with a child whose name constantly reminds them of the awfulness that is The New Trilogy?  

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2015, 23:12 jdreyer

Besiege is under $5. It's EA, but for $5, and 12K "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews, I'm chancing it.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 21, 2015, 21:04 jdreyer

So nin, did you play Wander?  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 18:43 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 18:16:
Retired wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 15:42:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 15:32:
Also, I think the French scene from Better Off Dead is appropriate to post given Blue's comments.

Huge fan of not buying and selling anything.....

Nice post.

Was a huge John Cusack fan back in the 80s and 90s. Haven't seen him in much lately, 2012 maybe was the last thing?

Did a bunch of B movies, there isn't much he has done that I haven't liked. Check IMDB, lots to see.

Frozen Ground and Ice Harvest are two that stick out in my head.

Hey, thanks. I haven't seen either of those.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 18:42 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 17:47:
If you spent half the time asking yourself to find the truth, instead of listening to your elected officials and seeking parroting blogs, you would find yourself, once again, a pawn in the pack of pawns.

I'm not here to convince you, but you are here to try to reaffirm your convictions.

Did you read what I linked to? Not a politician in the mix. Either a science website with hard peer-reviewed data, or a news organization.

I'm really curious though, why do you think global warming isn't real, and that we're not causing it? Do you think that scientists just made it up in order to justify grant money or something?

Live long, and prosper.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 18:16 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 15:42:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 15:32:
Also, I think the French scene from Better Off Dead is appropriate to post given Blue's comments.

Huge fan of not buying and selling anything.....

Nice post.

Was a huge John Cusack fan back in the 80s and 90s. Haven't seen him in much lately, 2012 maybe was the last thing?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
4. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 18:00 jdreyer

For those of you who have played this on console, is there any reason to be excited here? We have similar games already, like the BL series.

Also, does Destiny have any equivalent to Tiny Tina?

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 17:57 jdreyer

That is very cool. A Li battery that is not only immune to catching fire, but also lasts through hundreds of thousands of cycles? I guess the main question is how much it will cost to produce.  

Live long, and prosper.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 15:32 jdreyer

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2015, 15:06 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 09:32:
Critter Crunch is way, WAY higher quality than it needs to be. Well worth picking up, even has local and online co-op.

Sold! Thanks!

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 14:31 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 08:36:
Now now people. Let's not get sidetracked here, I'm all for berating Axis on the point of his stupid climate denial shit but his point about nuclear power is valid and stands. If we take a contrary stance on that we are just as rabid and irrational as he is on climate change denial.

Statistically speaking nuclear power is safer and cleaner than any other mainstream power source. (Not sure about solar and wind, but those are hardly mainstream).

Even when taking all the accidents into account modern countries (there have been three so far right?) consider the number of power stations, their years in operation and their power output and efficiency compared to anything else.

Coal, Oil and even Natural Gas power plants can't come close, and they pollute several magnitudes more than the OLDEST of nuclear power plants, let alone the newfangled ones being built in Finland and Norway for example which produce waste fissile material which can be converted and recycled into fuel again.

There have been dozens accidents at nuclear plants, and those are just the ones we know of. The release radiation accidentally or intentionally happens quite often actually. It's why there are thyroid cancer clusters around nuclear plants. It's why Millstone nuke plant in CT had to be closed for an entire year for retrofitting: it was leaking radiation into the environment (the official reason given was there was a lack of certified operators, but I had a friend working there. He actually quit despite making a fantastic salary because he was terrified of being exposed. Geiger counter on the walkway read safe, move it 3 feet to the left over the cooling pipe, and it's pegged. Cooling pipe supposed to be non-radioactive).

Coal plants are absolutely dirtier and more deadly than nuke plants, but nuke plants are far from safe. Ask yourself, would I live next to one?

Live long, and prosper.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 14:03 jdreyer

Krowen wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 07:42:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 23:38:
Where were SUV's and smoke stacks when the glaciers in the US melted?

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to work toward a cleaner earth, but this man-made Climate religion is all a bunch of bullshit man.

The only point that is valid is Nuclear power - that's where the future is.

You just repeat retarded talking points instead of trying to delve deeper and understand the actual science behind things. CO2 concentrations are insanely high and we know this by studying the ice. Use fucking Google and stop being a tard, its embarrassing when someone doesn't even grasp shit that was covered in high school science.

Nuclear power has its own set of problems as the Ukraine and Japan found out already.

Nuclear, in addition to that whole catastrophic meltdown potential, is insanely expensive. And prices for solar and wind have been in freefall for a decade with no bottom in sight. The main advantage nukes have is that they provide baseline power, so we'll still probably need some. You can do baseline power with a solar/wind combination, but you really have to commit to it, installing wind all over the country, putting hundreds of massive solar plants in AZ, NM, TX, setting up some expensive CSP plants for baseline, having HVDC lines connecting it all, etc.

Not to mention that like the coal, oil, and gas that it replaces, nuclear is non-renewable. Also, we should be saving it for things like space exploration where it's incredible energy density is hard to replicate with any other material.

Live long, and prosper.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 13:50 jdreyer

Always felt safest in a 747.

There's a reason for that. A 747 can fly on half its engines for example:

Consider: 747s have the ability to dump fuel and reduce their weight to facilitate emergency landings and/or prolonged flight on less than all four engines. Crews practice two-engine-out emergencies in simulator training. The engines themselves can take tremendous abuse. The most credible causes of multiple engine failures on a Boeing 747 would be (1) bad fuel (which is why testing is so frequent and rigorous); (2) multiple simultaneous strikes by LARGE birds on multiple engines; or (3) volcanic ash ingestion similar to that experienced by the BA 747.

That being said, the 737, 757, 767, and 777 all have lower accident rates than the 747 (p. 19).

Live long, and prosper.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 13:32 jdreyer

What Would Happen if a Massive Solar Storm Hit the Earth?

The complete destruction of the power grid world wide is a pretty scary prospect. Also, hard to see how anything plugged in doesn't get fried, although in my reading I couldn't tell if standalone devices like phones or cars would be at risk. 2.5 trillion in damage at least, and some places without power for years. Even though we're just coming off a solar maximum, scientists predict the chances are pretty high that we'll be hit with another Carrington Event within the next decade. In July 2012, we missed one of these by 1 week.

Live long, and prosper.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 05:21 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 23:38:
Where were SUV's and smoke stacks when the glaciers in the US melted?

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to work toward a cleaner earth, but this man-made Climate religion is all a bunch of bullshit man.

The only point that is valid is Nuclear power - that's where the future is.

Seriously, how can you argue this shit? The CO2 mechanism is well understood and proven. The science is settled. Those glaciers in the last ice age to 1000s of years to recede, but we're melting them in decades. The last time CO2 was 400PPM as it is today, was during the Pliocene epoch, 3 million years ago. There were no ice caps, and seas were 75' higher than today. Historically temperatures and ice caps have fluctuated, but over 1000s of years giving plants and animals dozens or hundreds of generations to adjust. We're doing it in decades, and it's already causing mass extinctions.

I really don't understand how people can blow off the science behind things like global warming or vaccines, and yet still go the doctor for antibiotics, or get into a jet to fly across the country. It's all science, it all works the same way. You don't get to pick and choose.

Live long, and prosper.

3. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2015, 04:37 jdreyer

Frans wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 03:48:
The player doesn't have to: it's a PF or Press Forward track. That's a particular style of TrackMania track building where all the effort is made by the builder to define you path you drive/fly. The player just has to keep pressing Forward, the slightest steering action will throw you off that path, and usually crash.

In other words, such tracks (there are thousands but not often this long) are showcases for the builder's skill, not the player's.

Ahh, that makes a little more sense. So, you're really not steering at all, but do you have to do anything with the throttle to make sure you hit the jumps at the right speed?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 21, 2015, 04:18 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 22:09:
It's idiotic trying to make a film about a game. Games are interactive and films are passive. Same way as translating books into films. Both are passive but books have far too much information which need to be winnowed away. And that's precisely what people hate. Joe Scriptwriter may think he can get rid of this, that, or the other thing, and those may be the defining things that make that particular book for someone. In the case of games you get some writer who doesn't understand the game or its draw and tries to shoehorn it into a story that suits - who also don't get the game - want to be full of shotguns and big titties because everyone likes shotguns and big titties, right?

It's not idiotic to make a movie about a game. You just have to have the right approach that plays to movie's strengths: a narrative experience that can be told in two hours. Obviously some games are better than others for this, but I think you could make great movies out of Fallout, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, etc., i.e. any game with great world building and built in antagonists.

Live long, and prosper.

1. Re: Into the Black Aug 20, 2015, 23:38 jdreyer

That's just crazy, you can't even see where you're going most of the time.  

Live long, and prosper.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 20, 2015, 23:00 jdreyer

The thing is, you can pull the carbon out of a coal plant smoke stack for about $50 per ton of CO2 or so. But carbon in the atmosphere is so dilute that it costs $1000 per ton.

Much better to accelerate coal and gas plant phase out in favor of wind, solar, tidal, nuclear, etc. And, yes, figure out some kind of natural carbon sink that grows quickly and fixes the carbon in the earth or traps it in some plant material that doesn't decay quickly.

Honestly, we've already fucked ourselves, and can only mitigate the damage at this point. Say goodbye to all those gorgeous FL beaches.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 20, 2015, 22:54 jdreyer

Unless unions come to the software industry, there will never be quality of life.  

Live long, and prosper.

13212 Comments. 661 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo