Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9330 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 14:44 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 13:05:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 13:00:
nin wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 09:24:
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about the Downey news. Pretty crazy they're already mapping out Avengers 4!

40 million PLUS backend is just nuts, though.

Well, he's probably getting pretty tired of playing the same character. I hear that Chris Evans is, and if you saw Snowpiercer, you can see that he's hankering for more things new.

He's actually saying he's retiring after his Captain America contract. We'll see if he sticks to it, but he says he doesn't enjoy the spotlight and wants to just direct.

I'd hate the spotlight too. It'd a shame if he stopped acting, he's such a talent.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 14:42 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 12:36:
PHJF wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 12:10:
10/10 doesn't necessarily mean perfect

Perfect is literally what 10/10 means to anyone with a working brain. If a publication believes in earnest they've reviewed a flawless game (minor bugs not withstanding), great, give it 10/10. Otherwise they should stop reviewing games or stop using such a tiny scale.

Are movies that Ebert gave 4 stars to perfect?
Or ones that Siskel and Ebert gave two thumbs up? Both of those are the equivalent of a 10/10.

He believes it's one of the best games he's ever played, and he apparently only uses integers. I don't think it's a huge issue. It's no skin off my back. He loves the game, so what? Why get so angry over it?

Thumbs up/thumbs down by Siskel and Ebert (rest their souls) is a 3 point system. That's roughly equivalent to Rottentomatoes "Fresh" rating if they both give thumbs up.

12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 14:39 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 12:49:
InBlack wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 12:42:
Back then though reviewers had a little bit more integrity and were not afraid to grade a game according to its actual merits.

There is some very serious misremembering going on here. Very, very serious.
And not giving enough credit to reviewers today.

Not to mention, it strikes me as funny that we can have discussions over how stupid IGN is for giving a AAA game a 5.9 (Alien Isolation) and, the next week, claims that mainstream reviewers are afraid to ding AA games.

CGW had pretty stringent rules in place back in the day: recusions for conflict of interest, only reviewing final copies (not pre-release builds or patched releases), full disclosure, full separation of editorial and advertising divisions, etc.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 14, 2014, 14:36 jdreyer

That's an innovative solution youtube has there. As long as they fix the fair use issues.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 14:27 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 11:34:
I'm not sure what that crappy movie has to do with this video game other than "hey snow!".

Seems almost a bit like Don't Starve, I like the aesthetics too. Too bad I just don't Kickstart games anymore but I'll look for it on Steam down the road

In Cutter's defense, it is quite similar: a global winter wipes out civilization and people have to survive in the ruins. It's just missing the sappy "I must get to my son!" storyline.

I actually applaud the setting as too many post apocalyptic games are set in desert or temperate settings: Wasteland, Fallout, DayZ, Rage, Borderlands, Stalker. And I like the art style.

I do wonder how they plan to accomplish this for 100K GBP. Doesn't seem like enough dough for a decent game.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 13:02 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 10:39:
The Civil War storyline was great in the comics, it should be pretty good for the movies. Not sure people will like how it ends, though, unless they change something up.

Might be a great way to end the run and reboot. Most of the actors involved are middle agent and ain't gettin' younger.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 13:00 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 09:24:
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about the Downey news. Pretty crazy they're already mapping out Avengers 4!

40 million PLUS backend is just nuts, though.

Well, he's probably getting pretty tired of playing the same character. I hear that Chris Evans is, and if you saw Snowpiercer, you can see that he's hankering for more things new.

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 12:36 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 10:12:
HorrorScope, did you read it? The text of that review is so over the top I can't take it seriously:

What belies progression is that nothing is what it seems, and if it seems, it will soon unseam. The whole game is riddles wrapped in crimson, jiggly flesh ripe for pink misty explosion. In the first 10-minutes of Mikamiís magnum opus Detective Sebastian Castellanos will find himself as a hunk of meat waiting to be cleaved. Heíll slide into a vat of thick, coagulated blood soup with bobbing chunks of flesh. The walls will bleed and things that should be dead, arenít. Booby-traps lace your escape routes and youíll slip and slide on the rotting corpses of those who came before. Light only quickens your heart but fire, fire is your friend. Burn away the enemy; burn away the memories.

Hahaha what the fuck?

Wow, I admit that I laughed while reading that. Obviously someone fancies themselves the next Hunter S. Thompson.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 02:03 jdreyer

killer_roach wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 00:34:
Cpmartins wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 21:44:
If it wasn't roguelike I'd probably bite it. Never liked the concept, even when it wasn't the buzzword it is today. Looks ok though.

If I really want to play a roguelike, then I'll just play Rogue.

FTL is roguelike. Have you never played FTL?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2014, 01:56 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 23:08:
Hulu ads are more than acceptable, they are few, quick, and timed.

Not being able to stream many of the episodes unless you are in front of an actual PC is their problem.

We get around it by outputting the PC to the HDMI on our TV, but it's just ridiculous that you can't simply stream those same ones from Roku or other streaming device. And of course there's plenty of ways to get around ads on the PC as well, and not on a roku or other device which defeats their business model.

THATS what Hulu needs to "consider" -- all shows streamable or say no thanks to the network/show and let them flounder on cable.

Netflix is king. Amazon prime we barely use except for an occasional kid show and shipping of course. Hulu has the TV shows, but their streaming model (shows on PC and not on stream devices outside of PC) is their problem, not the ads.

I don't know how you can stand paying a monthly subscription and have to sit through commercials.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer
19. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer Oct 14, 2014, 01:32 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 21:41:
NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 21:30:
Borderlands is a pretty safe preorder, at least you know what you're getting.

Honestly, looking at my playtime, and I am a HUGE supporter of $/hours=value......

Borderlands 1: 138 hours
Borderlands 2: 213 hours

For 43.00.....I will probably be ok.

I'm right there with you. Gonna hold off a year though until my hankering builds a bit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
71. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 23:58 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 23:17:
Fugazi wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 22:15:
harlock wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 20:38:
Fugazi wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 16:12:
So much rage.

melodramatic much?

Thanks for contributing.

dude you're so emo! wow

good job

And you're so douchey.

Good job.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 13, 2014, 21:55 jdreyer

So, um, no gamergate discussion today? We haven't had one in a while, and I was really looking forward to one.  

66. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 19:57 jdreyer

The Pyro wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 19:04:
The interlacing in this video is extremely distracting. Does the game always look like that?

I think it's because they're streaming.

65. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 19:35 jdreyer

Aero wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 03:12:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Star Citizen is a big wait and see. I paid $45 or whatever to support it back when, but they have more than enough money so I certainly won't be paying the prices they are asking for ship pre-purchaeses.

Pretty much, the bottom line is that I'm sick of their PR. All of the actual content they've released so far is underwhelming. That's understandable given how far they are from completion, but my plans at this moment are to mostly ignore it until they have something worthwhile to show.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to have a say in the direction of development and all that, but it seems pretty clear from how things have gone so far that it will be a 2016 release at the earliest. It's way, way too early for hype. I think it was worth throwing in what I did to do my bit to help out with a project that could be pretty cool, but I don't think it will be anything like as cool as a lot of people seem to be imagining it will be. I'm hope I'm wrong, but it will probably be another year before we can even really speculate on that.

Meh, I wouldn't want to play it without OR CV1 anyway, so I'm willing to wait.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 19:31 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 16:19:
mag wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 15:56:
I would drop Netflix the very instant I saw my first ad. No thought required.

Or if they asked much more per month. For as protective as Netflix customer is to Netflix, they also will drop them on a dime if they make a misstep.

I wouldn't mind if they charge more, as long as it meant more and better content. They don't get many of the top rank movies on there. And if they use the cash for more great shows like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards, it would be worth it.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 19:30 jdreyer

mag wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 15:56:
I would drop Netflix the very instant I saw my first ad. No thought required.

The only TV my kids have ever watched is Netflix. We streamed the superbowl this year and my daughter kept getting so annoyed at the ads. She literally has no experience with them.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2014, 19:27 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 18:12:
Not many of you purchased Borderlands reskin 3 I see....any midnight gamers?

Although it is tempting with this coupon I have....damn you greenmangaming

I just finished BL2 a few months ago. It'll be a couple years before I'm ready for pre-squee-three, or whatever they're calling it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2014, 19:25 jdreyer

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 14:43:
Here is Seattle, we aren't celebrating Columbus day. They changed it to Indigenous People's Day.

Oh, snap. See, that's how it's done.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
13. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 19:24 jdreyer

Here's their problem.

I'm a huge fan of the show.
I'm a gamer.
I have no interest in this.

Since the personalities are what made the show tick, a pretty excellent Baldur's Gate or KOTOR-style RPG could have been made from this material, esp if it used the original voice cast. This, not so much.

Also, as someone said, a 4X game, or a hybrid space sim/empire builder a la Albion Prelude. Just don't think there are enough Firefly fans out there to make this a reality. If it didn't work out well for Star Trek, I don't see how it works out well for this.

9330 Comments. 467 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo