Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8443 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 03:35 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 00:51:
Rigs wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 21:30:
Sir, I am too outraged to actually laugh at that!

Too soon, man...isn't there like a 24-hour rule or something, like the 5-second rule when you drop food on the floor?

=-Rigs-=
Sorry, I know it's probably too soon and the one thing i'll probably never be accused of is having too much taste or tact. I'd like to think if Mr. Williams was reading my joke, it might make him laugh a bit.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Williams *salutes*

Strangely I found your joke appropriate. I'd like to think Robin would too.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Aug 12, 2014, 01:35 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 01:11:
i won't dispute there are occasional legit reasons for suicides, but no one will ever convince me alcohol is one of them. he kicked it once he could do it again. he just gave up and took the easy way out. dammit robin, dead poets society was one of my most beloved films too. =(

Yeah, it's hard to know what was going through his head, assuming it even was suicide and not an accident. When you're afflicted with mental illness (severe depression) paths out become impossible to see. Horrible actions invert and appear to be kindness to others. It becomes not a conscious decision, but the terminus of the disease. I've been consumed by this news since hearing of it, but I can't blame him. I have to think that nothing could have changed this. Because nothing did.

A shame too, I imagined he'd live well into his 80s like his role model Jon Winters did. Here's a clip of the two of them messing around.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 12, 2014, 01:00 jdreyer

RoboNerd wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 21:51:
Re: AT&T delivers on 1Gps promise in Austin

Interesting to see this since this week I am switching from AT&T broadband and phone to Comcast after staying with AT&T since they first brought broadband DSL into Independence, Missouri. Why the switch? I pay about $63.50 a month for 6 Mbps Uverse internet and local phone. Comcast will give me 50 Mbps plus port my phone number with unlimited Nationwide calling for $40 a month the first year, and $60 a month the second year. I avoided the $8 a month modem/router charge by buying my own unit for $85.

Google fiber is not planning on coming into my part of the KC metro, so this is my best option at the moment. Computer

Just be careful to record all correspondence with Comcast. The guy in the story Blue posted above saved himself $181 that way:

Comcast Tells Customer The Only Reason Hes Getting Bogus Charges Refunded Is Because He Recorded Call.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2014, 22:59 jdreyer

SS wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 22:45:
They want $330,000 for that? Its not going to happen.

For Dana, they want it for Dana.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
9. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 11, 2014, 22:08 jdreyer

Flak wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:26:

I can't remember a recent game that rivals the constant fear and sense of isolation that SS2 creates as you play it.

Yes, this exactly. Such amazing atmosphere.

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
28. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 20:52 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:32:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:08:
And the room. Went. Wild.

I find this implausible. Those of us old enough to have lived through what he did and know who he is have little faith to strike gold a second time. Those who are younger have no clue who the man is since he hasn't done anything in 20 years. So, who is this mythical fan base that worships him?

A similar situation didn't stop all kinds of gamers from throwing literal millions at Chris Roberts on a promise of hype and hope.

The only question I'm left with is would a Romero crowd funded shooter pull in more millions from gamers than SC?

I'm not really sure he's comparable to CR. Chris was lead designer on a series of critically acclaimed games. Romero was part of a team that made a few seminal games, but on his own, the one game he produced was a flop and panned. Also, Chris is helping revive a long dead genre, whereas the FPS genre has been constantly growing, changing, and evolving to become the most dominant kind of game in the world. All while Romero was busy making mobile games. It's a different world now, and I wonder if he understands it still. I don't think the two people or situations are really comparable.

Look, I don't think he doesn't deserve his shot, or even that there's no chance that he might make something decent. I'm just not understanding why a room full of people would go batshit insane at the announcement. I'd be more like, "Oh, that's interesting."

26. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 20:38 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 20:15:
Sorry if you all don't recognize a GOD of GAMING when you hear him speak. ALL OF YOU need to lick the ground Romero walks on. And I mean lick it clean. Romero coded the first and best shooter. Carmack blabbed while Romero pioneered multi-player. He coded and made Doom and Quake. Those two games defined the best shooters ever. If Romeros says jump then by god you better be doing a Carl Lewis special.

Lets all mark the minute, and the second, this man said the world would be blessed with another shooter. Everyone should feel blessed that he even decided to lift a finger to code a game. Seriously...

Can't tell if serious...

18. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2014, 20:35 jdreyer

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 20:28:
I can't believe Robin Williams is gone. I haven't felt his upset about a celebrity death since Chris Farley. Robin was one of my heroes growing up, I loved all his comedies.

This sucks, I'm really upset.

It's weird, as soon as I heard this news, I had literally 10-15 scenes from his movies over the past 30 years replay in my mind. That's never happened. I haven't felt this shocked since Stevie Ray Vaughn died. He was a very special and unique actor, irreplaceable really. Such a shame.

11. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2014, 19:48 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:42:
nin wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:22:
PropheT wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:16:
Really sad to hear about Robin Williams, it's being reported everywhere now it seems.

Yep. I'm depressed as hell now...

Yea, well, don't go killing yourself. Cowards way out and I am more pissed than sad.

Sounds like he was suffering from severe depression. Not sure how much free will you have in cases like that. It's not like his life sucked or anything, or he was diagnosed with a terminal illness that I'd heard of.

9. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2014, 19:42 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:35:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:33:
Hey, that injured cosplay girl from a couple of weeks ago is recovering. Can you get two black eyes from a fall like that? I would think you'd also scrape or break your nose too.

I thought you could get black eye(s) just from breaking/resetting your nose, but I could be wrong...

edit: Glad she's doing better, and wasn't assaulted.

Right, but her nose looks fine, which seems strange to me. Also, did a bit more looking around and found that her mother seems to think that she was still assaulted. I guess the police will sort it all out.

8. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2014, 19:38 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:22:
PropheT wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:16:
Really sad to hear about Robin Williams, it's being reported everywhere now it seems.

Yep. I'm depressed as hell now...

FUCK. Really? Goddammit. I've basically followed the guy since he was on Mork and Mindy. Such a unique actor/comedian. So, so good in Good Morning Vietnam, Garp, and Good Will Hunting among a bunch of other movies. And he still had so much to give. RIP.

6. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2014, 19:33 jdreyer

Hey, that injured cosplay girl from a couple of weeks ago is recovering. Can you get two black eyes from a fall like that? I would think you'd also scrape or break your nose too.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2014, 19:27 jdreyer

So, um, are people actually pining for this? There are games of the same era are discussed reverently even today: Wolf 3D, Dune II, Ultima Underworld, Star Control II, Alone in the Dark, etc. This game isn't among them. I'd even forgotten it existed.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 11, 2014, 19:13 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 18:51:
Never knew you played 117, Blue. I didn't get to spend as much time with it as I'd like, but I had hundreds of hours in F-19, the earlier version.

Same here, played F-19 more than F-117 for some reason. Both were great though.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
5. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 11, 2014, 19:10 jdreyer

Haven't played this for a good five years. Since I recently got a GoG copy (can't find my original CD ) I might have to fire this up again. Great, great game. Would love to play this on something like Oculus.  

10. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 19:08 jdreyer

And the room. Went. Wild.

I find this implausible. Those of us old enough to have lived through what he did and know who he is have little faith to strike gold a second time. Those who are younger have no clue who the man is since he hasn't done anything in 20 years. So, who is this mythical fan base that worships him?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2014, 15:15 jdreyer

Amazon Blocking "Captain America" Pre-Orders.

I really find this fascinating. In the past the studios held all the cards because there were so many retailers, but Amazon has grown so big that they're flexing their muscle. Not sure what this ultimately means for consumers, but it's interesting to watch for sure.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2014, 15:12 jdreyer

Comcast: Sneaky 'Broadcast TV Fee' Is Just Us Being Transparent.

Man, those guys need to be broken apart. Or nationalized. Having multiple cable companies is like having multiple parallel road systems that you have to pay monthly for.

Pretty soon Comcast will advertise "300 cable channels, $10 / month!" Then when you get your bill, it will have $90 in "fees" on it.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2014, 15:04 jdreyer

garrywong wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 12:48:
Teenagers aren't getting any dumber any more than autism is becoming more frequent. What's changed is that now more than ever, every little stupid trick they do is now publicized ever more readily through social media where it wasn't before.

Trust me, dumb teens have been setting themselves on fire for generations. Now it's simply more public.

It's the same for crime. In the past 25 years crime has dropped by more than a third on average. But reporting on crime is three times as much as it was back then.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2014, 15:02 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 12:07:
Sony is supposedly going to show off the new PS4 UI and some other stuff at GamesCom, looking forward to it.

WTF, Vern??! You want to talk about GAMES? Can't you see we're too busy talking about dumb teens and sex in literature?

8443 Comments. 423 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo