Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9864 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 17:34 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:18:
Check out MAYDAY.US.

"MAYDAY.US is a crowd-funded SuperPAC to end all SuperPACs... including this one. Help us reduce the influence of money in politics by electing a Congress committed to fundamental reform by 2016. Let's win our democracy back!"

This was started by Lessing - one of the people on that Moyers episode. In the discussion he shows how scarily powerful some of these politicians are. One corporation was going to donate 10 million bucks to this PAC when they found out it would upset Rep. Fred Upton (R) who chairs the Energy and Commerce Committee and promptly backpeddled because they didn't want to get on his bad side. That's insane.

Yeah, Larry is also fighting the good fight.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 17:33 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:01:
Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone

Full stop. I've found the problem.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2014, 17:32 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 17:03:
The fear mongering from conservatives seems to stem from a genuine fear that with the FCC allowed to pass any rules whatsoever governing the internet (which hasn't really ever happened before - this would be a first), it's opening the door to all sorts of future draconian regulation and, in a worst-case scenario, censorship of ideas that don't line up with what the Fed wants us to hear. Like in North Korea. The obvious problem with that is that the FCC has no history of doing anything remotely like that with radio and TV, which they have governed for decades, so it makes no sense. That is not even counting the fact that the Supreme Court has been unwavering in its support of the first amendment throughout its history and would undoubtedly put a quick end to any government overreach of this kind.

Hey, hey, hey now. If you take away Big Gov't as a boogie man, who will they be afraid of?

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
237. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 15:45 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 00:40:
Squirmer wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 00:29:
Probs the same reason they don't have you on ignore, even though you're literally an insane person.

This used to be a nice place until you asshole trolls and idiots showed up. One more moronic troll for the ignore list.
Pure curiosity. How many do you have on ignore now?

233. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 15:34 jdreyer

Task wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:26:
Quite a threadnaught here. Is this a record?
IIRC, the 9/11 thread was over 1000.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2014, 15:48.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 13:24 jdreyer

@ Cutter,

Thanks. I'll check those out later today when I have more time. This is probably the biggest issue for me, since the money results in legislation that benefits wealthy corporations and individuals over the vast majority of common people. I have little faith that we'll get decent legislation (or even legislators) of any kind until this is fixed.

I like what Cenk Uygur is doing with his Wolf PAC. It's obvious that you'll never convince Washington Pols to amend the constitution, since they're all there via corporate donations. So he's trying to amend it via state legislatures, which are in theory less beholden to corporate money (although massive amounts were spent on those in the last election).

Lastly, Bill Moyers is a national treasure.

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2014, 13:16 jdreyer

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:00:
Al Fraknkinstin is a big government democrat. You might want to research and find out about the truth. You actual want big government in your internet? Fools...

1. If this was big government coming in and screwing with some competitive market, I'd largely agree. But the internet is controlled by a few regional monopolies, thus the poor performance, poor customer service, and expensive rates vs. the rest of the industrialized world. I'll take gov't accountability over that of a corporate monopoly any day.

2. Even at its best, capitalism needs some regulation, lest we return to the age of the robber barons of 100 years ago.

Y'know, you might want to do some research yourself there. Economics and politics are full of subtlety and nuance, and any pure ideological solution is likely the wrong one.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2014, 13:08 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:23:
LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:00:
Al Fraknkinstin is a big government democrat. You might want to research and find out about the truth. You actual want big government in your internet? Fools...

Well isn't that odd, I mean seeing as government actually goes up under the GOP and down under the Democrats. Oh wait, I know, the GOP always SAYS they're small government so that must be true regardless of the actual facts. Ahhhk, I get it now. We're playing the reality distortion game.

"I reject this reality and substitute my own."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 17, 2014, 13:06 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:14:
My feelings on Anonymous are mixed, at best, but I find myself greatly pleased that they are messing with the KKK. I have long wondered why a hacktivist group hasn't gone after them before.

I think they've been keeping a low profile, but they got themselves in the news a few days ago with this.

A Missouri chapter of the Ku Klux Klan distributed fliers near Ferguson, Mo. and via social media threatening protestors with the use of "lethal force," Vice News reported on Thursday.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 17, 2014, 13:03 jdreyer

Apple Says So-Called Security Flaw Isn't Actually A Security Flaw.

It's a feature!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 17, 2014, 13:02 jdreyer

Verizon: We Could Offer 1 Gbps, But Don't Think You Need It.

"I could bench 350, I just don't want to."

News Comments > Sunday Patches
5. Re: Sunday Patches Nov 17, 2014, 00:26 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:25:
Hrm, some Grim Dawn progress... now they just need to finish it before the heat death of the universe.
Best comment I have read today.

171. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 00:16 jdreyer

This thread is reaching GamerGate lengths.  

159. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:39 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 21:19:
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...

PENIS!!!!

Considering the amount of name calling and hysterics in this thread it seems appropriate.

At least Godwin's Law hasn't raised its ugly head yet.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2014, 19:09 jdreyer

R.I.P. to both Mr. Larson and Mr. Montgomery. Both provided me with a lot of entertainment in my youth.

As for HL2, great, great game. While some may not like the physics puzzles, I really enjoyed them as a diversion to just running around and shooting things. And the gravity gun was so unique and awesome. There's nothing quite like chopping zombies to pieces by propelling saw blades at them, or pulverizing them with an engine block. Good times.

Looking forward to another play through when the Rift comes out.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 16, 2014, 18:58 jdreyer

Styx on sale already? Didn't that just come out?

Crappy timing for them with Shadow of Mordor coming out around the same time.

125. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:48 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:15:
Steam w/DRM has open a new golden age of PC gaming. So even with DRM, the service has flourished, giving us more for less. I prefer none, but if that means 50% of gaming goes away then if it isn't intrusive, I can deal with it, I have. Starforce and GFWL are the only one's I've ever really had to put some effort into because of problems and see the market weeds them out, working.

Steam also has an offline mode which doesn't require you to connect to the internet at all. I have gone months in offline mode. Very different from the E:D situation.

123. Re: Into the Black Nov 16, 2014, 18:43 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:38:
Another game that, despite having a single player mode, will be unplayable the day they decide to shut down the servers. When will that happen? Can't trust their answer to that now. They might have been able to salvage the good will they built up if they handled it better. Such a shame.

Or it will be unplayable the first week after launch when there are suddenly ten times as many players than the beta and the servers are overwhelmed and you can't connect.

113. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:19 jdreyer

Harrowing wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:16:
I'll think bigger when you start thinking that devs promising complicated software are still human and live on this planet. Shit happens, all predictions aren't met.
They warn you of this BEFORE you pledge.

Ignoring the warning now just to unleash hate-diarrhea must be very convenient.

Yeah, if they'd promised a space sim, and delivered Tetris, then we should be happy with that according to your logic. Shit happens, you know? Scope changes happen, dig?

109. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:13 jdreyer

Harrowing wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:06:
Play solo online when you have internet.
Don't play ED when you don't have internet.
There's a myriad of games you can play instead.
Then back to ED when you have internet again.
If that solution is so uncomfortable for you then ask for a refund.

Don't need a refund. Just not going to buy it.

I travel about 1/3 of the time throughout the year. I bring my gaming laptop and there's plenty of room for my HOTAS in my suitcase. Most of the places I stay either have no internet, or the wifi is so slow at night as to be unusable (because everyone is trying to use it at night). When I'm home I do a lot less gaming, because family.

9864 Comments. 494 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo