Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 6622 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2014, 18:50 jdreyer

Blocking Comcast/TWC merger will not fix the Internet monopoly.

Maybe not, but it sure as hell won't help. I like to think that TWC or Comcast might challenge each other in some markets some day.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2014, 18:29 jdreyer

It will be interesting to see if Weev gets retried. Not sure if double jeopardy applies in this case, although the EFF lawyer seemed to think it did.

I hope he sues the prison for putting him solitary. That seemed to be an abuse of power on the part of the prison, and an attempt to punish him for simply exercising his free speech. Prisons often use solitary to punish prisoners, as opposed to segregating prisoners who are a danger to others. Solitary confinement has been shown in studies to be a form of torture.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2014, 16:17 jdreyer

Yeah, corporate campaign contributions are essentially legal bribes. It's a corrupt system. Could by mitigated by

A. Prohibiting corporations from donating to elections at all, although with the recent court cases, you'd need a constitutional amendment to fix that.

B. Publicly funded elections, in part or completely.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 16:07 jdreyer

That honest game trailers is pretty funny. Here's the one for God of War.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 11, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 12:36:
should i get a Galaxy S5 or an HTC One M8? what do you guys think? i'm leaning more towards the HTC One M8 with HTC Sense UI atm.
I read that Ars article yesterday. It sounded pretty awesome. The article content didn't match the meh byline. I love my S4. Never had an HTC tho.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Apr 11, 2014, 15:23 jdreyer

Good video. Much better argument in favor of F2P than the one yesterday. I wish he'd cited more examples of games to support the different categories he talked about: games that give too much away for free, games that you hit a wall, games where it's funner not to pay and see if you can win than pay, etc.  

News Comments > Prisonscape Kickstarter
9. Re: Prisonscape Kickstarter Apr 11, 2014, 15:09 jdreyer

I appreciate that they're trying to do an RPG in a non-typical setting.

However:

1. That setting is just dark and unappealing. Same reason I have no interest in Prison Architect. Make the same game playing as a police detective or PI where quests are solving kidnappings and murders, and I'd be on it.

2. 8 bit graphics again! While these are some of the better ones I've seen, devs, please stop this insanity. Even if you do sprites, if your artist is talented enough to do 8 bit this well, he's talented enough to do regular non-8-bit graphics too.

3. $50K seems like not enough to do this, although it looks like maybe they're far enough along already?

4. I agree about Mr. Choi. Not a good way to inspire confidence.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Apr 11, 2014, 04:39 jdreyer

Honestly, free to play can DIAF. Except for Path of Exile. Those guys rock. Totally.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 04:36 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 18:46:

The PreSequel is basically an expansion. They're using the same exact engine. Reworking it to make it for new consoles would require significantly more time and effort, and end any chance of it being a budget release.

Given that last year both Sony and MS were showing off games for their new consoles ON HIGH END PCs, and given that the new consoles are both BASICALLY MID RANGE PCs, it should be fairly easy to convert them to the new consoles. Honestly, I don't give a shit either way, I'm a PC gamer exclusively. I own no consoles. But it doesn't make sense that a game coming out almost a year after the new consoles have launched, and would benefit from the hardware, wouldn't come out on them.

Also, what Killer Roach wrote about them releasing everything for new consoles as a mega pack makes sense.

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2014, 04:14 jdreyer

@ Beam.

Fine, but 35 years? Give me a fcking break. There is no way that should be even close to the max for what he could be charged with for what he did. Harvard didn't even want to press charges. The max he should have been able to be charged with for that is 5 years. What happened was ridiculous on its face. No wonder he committed suicide. It's akin to having a 5 year prison sentence or $50,000 fine for jaywalking. It's completely incongruous with the crime.

EDIT: Also, a little consistency might be nice. The banksters did WAY more damage to the economy than any hacker could ever do, yet not one has paid the price. It's fcking stupid.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2014, 04:29.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2014, 04:06 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 01:37:
Yeah, I'm not seeing the reasoning why Colbert would leave a show that has done very well for him (and it's only been on a few years at that) and go to an established show with an established audience and an established 'feel'. I like Steven, I think he's much smarter than most people give him credit for, and his show is hilarious. (While I love Jon Stewart, I'd rather The Daily Show have the same format as The Cobert Report with just him and maybe a guest or two before the 'main' guest at the end. The 'correspondents'-segments I find to be pretty immature, obnoxious and/or dull, and sometimes they just fall totally flat and unfunny, especially lately. They just try too hard) In fact, I think Jon would've been a better pick for replacing Letterman than Steven. I just can't see Steven doing the Letterman show format. But, then again, if he's going to lose 'the act', then maybe I'll come around. I'm just sad to see the end of 'The Colbert Report'...

=-Rigs-=

John Oliver is freakin' hilarious. And so is Lewis Black.

Also, Stephen Colbert got his start as a Daily Show correspondent. No correspondents, no Colbert.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: GTA 5 PC Apr 11, 2014, 03:50 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 02:41:
if its not announced/released by end of june, chances are its not coming for a good long while, if at all

They'd be stupid not to.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 03:49 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 00:41:
Not announced. Believe me, I'd be screaming it all over the place, if it were.

So, uh, you'll let me know?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2014, 21:18 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 17:27:
keep meaning to offer an annual installment in my description of the pain of being a Knicks, fan

heh. Try living in Minnesota and being a Minnesota sports fan period.....

Try living in Connecticut and being a Connecticut sports fan!

Oh, wait...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 10, 2014, 16:28 jdreyer

Comcast needs to be either an ISP or a content broadcaster. It's a conflict of interest to be both. They need to be broken up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2014, 16:24 jdreyer

Hey nin, looks like Earthlock made it. They must have gotten a huge push the last few days, b/c they were only 70% of their goal a few days ago. Wonder what happened.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched
8. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched Apr 10, 2014, 16:18 jdreyer

So the original Ghost Recon games (IIRC) were single player or coop campaign style games. This is multiplayer only? Again, a trailer which doesn't describe what kind of game this is at all. Good advertising there.  

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 10, 2014, 15:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:21:
InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 07:55:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 19:07:
Hacking sentences are almost as bad as murder.

There is a reason for that. Hackers and tech savy types are potentially the most dangerous 'dissidents' and possibly the only ones who can make a difference in the collective consciousness of the connected masses in our world today. They are the last threat to an emerging order of inverted totalitarianism. This will be doubly true in the future.

e.g. See E. Snowden.

you don't actually believe this do you? You gave one example. One very recent example. Or do you think that politicians were smart and savvy enough to predict this decades ago when the laws were written and that all prosecutors are in on it now?

there are more obvious answers here, but of course tech guys see themselves as superheroes that the government is desperate to contain. You're magneto, inblack. Right

They were threatening Aaron Swartz with 35 years to force him into a settlement. While average murder sentences are of course greater than average hacking sentences, the punishments for such crimes are WAY incongruent with the crimes committed.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 15:36 jdreyer

Xbox One And The PlayStation 4: Weirdest. Console. Transition. Ever.

It IS somewhat odd that that new Borderlands PreSequel WON'T be on the new consoles. Given that they're making a PC version, shouldn't it be tit easy to convert it to XB1 and PS4? It seems like money on the table NOT to make it for the new ones?

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 15:33 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 12:02:
I suspect you're right. But when it hits 2-4 million (I'd be more than a little surprised if it's over that, or they'd already be crowing) when you divide that across 3 platforms, it's not exactly great.

Add offline and coop mode with bots a la Unreal Tournament, and I'll shell out for it. Same with BF4. Money on the table.

6622 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo