Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8637 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - To End All Wars
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - To End All Wars Aug 26, 2014, 17:57 jdreyer

I also recommend Dan Carlin's amazing podcast series on the first world war titled "Blueprint for Armageddon." Absolutely fantastic in covering both the overall strategy and getting into what individuals experienced. Great for commutes and jogs.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
31. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 16:43 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 15:09:
I am pretty sure that you would never see ICE on the ISS windows. Because glass needs to be very very well isolated from any other surface in space on a space-station. And humidity is generally a problem in space. (Ie, you never have enough as you constantly recycle the air ,p) this is why long-term missions think about a biosphere element to maintain this. (And save on oxygen and coČ scrubbing)

Apollo 13 was different, they literally cramped all in a very tight space, so humidity was a problem. They switched power devices off to save power (but they produce heat, which is what the life support is configured for by default) so the life support was what cooled the ship down, if they had been able to tune the life support they would have been able to actually heat the capsule properly and even saved power. As you say, radiating heat away is not very effective... but humans each produce about 200 to 300W of heat energy per hour. (There is a joke there somewhere ,p) so those humans on Apollo 13 could have heated the capsule just by being there. If the life support hadn't cooled everything down.

When it comes down to it, it's very unlikely we'd have windows in a really modern "Built for function" space-ship anyway. If you had a power loss a window wouldn't save you

I think it's fairly realistic that the water vapor in the cockpit would condense and freeze on the windows once you go into stealth mode and shut down the cockpit heating. That's just physics. It's probably happening a bit more quickly than it should though.

I'm wondering how far they went in modelling it. If you're close to and facing a sun and you try that, there should be no ice, since the heat would prevent it from freezing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2014, 15:14 jdreyer

I feel like this is the dog days of gaming. Nothing really exciting has come out lately, and nothing is scheduled to for a while either. ED is the thing I'm most interested in, but going to wait until it's finished.

Also, I kind of lost interest in football about 20 years ago, so the start of the season doesn't do much for me.

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
34. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 26, 2014, 12:57 jdreyer

Task wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 09:45:
We are going to have The USA is run by Mega-Corporations some day today just like in Deus Ex. Companies will just keep buying up other companies in the Great Recession.

Fixed that.

11. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 04:38 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 01:02:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:22:
*EDIT* What the shit? The beta is $75.00 ? I assume the retail price will be less, and this is to discourage people or something?

Yes, it's a phased rollout with price as a barrier. Alpha access was $300, you know. And they still had plenty of takers.

Also, part of the reason for the pricing is because they did a Kickstarter with alpha/beta access as rewards for higher tiers, and they want to do right by those backers by not undercutting that pricing later on.

Yeah, this has been a thing for years now. I'm always surprised when people bring this up.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 26, 2014, 03:33 jdreyer

Well, since none of y'all posted any comment, I'm here to post one. Get out your handkerchiefs, as this will surely bring out the dust in the air.

Robin Williams - Inside the Actor's Studio

I almost suffocated the first 5 minutes or so of this video because I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2014, 02:02 jdreyer

Paranoid Jack wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 23:38:
They would block my access to Steam completely unless I used a proxy server. I tried several other distribution services like Origin and GoG... same thing was being done. Blocking the connection completely.

Their tech support tried to tell me some shite about my router was the problem because I wasn't renting theirs, my computer was infected, or possibly the site was illegal. I laughed at him.

That's beyond the pale. Imagine if you weren't tech savvy. You might have believed them. This BS is yet again caused by a lack of competition. Instead of ISPs bending over backwards to make sure Steam (or GoG or Origin) are coming through full speed, you have intentional throttling in order to make you buy more services from them. Fuck them.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2014, 22:31 jdreyer

California Lawmaker Votes To Kill Uber... Then Caught Driving Drunk Just Hours Later.

Yet another example of lobby money writing the legislation.

7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 25, 2014, 22:24 jdreyer

You Can Pull Off Han Solo Stunts In Elite: Dangerous.

That the penalty for smuggling is death seems disproportionate and unrealistic to me. You should maybe lose your ship and have to pay a fine or something.

On the other hand, the AG tried to charge Aaron Swartz with 35 years in jail, and a man was recently executed for jay walking, so maybe it's not that far off.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 25, 2014, 22:08 jdreyer

Destiny: No trading with others allowed.

That's a positive, IMO.

5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 25, 2014, 22:03 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:26:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:22:
Wtf, I admit I've not been paying a ton of attention to Elite:Dangerous coverage, but I watched that video... that game looks like it is going to be amazing!

Yet another game to add to the digital pile.

I even bought it and still haven't had time to check it out. But damn if every video doesn't look fantastic...

Did you order a OR DK2? That seems to be the best way to experience ED.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2014, 20:50 jdreyer

I wonder if Comcast will pull the same crap with Steam that it does with Netflix.  

News Comments > Centauri Sector Announced
3. Re: Centauri Sector Announced Aug 25, 2014, 19:16 jdreyer

Wildone wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:59:
Top down! LOL so 1994

That was my first thought: What is this, Colecovision? Still I guess it's no different than all the 8 bit games that have been coming out lately.

17. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 19:13 jdreyer

bhcompy wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 18:27:
On top of that, it's a growing market in America. League of Legends now sells out the Staples Center once a year and streams to millions of people. DOTA2 is now on ESPN2. The US is catching up to where South Korea has been for 15 years, and China and Japan in the intervening years.

I saw LoL cash cards at Walmart yesterday.

16. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 19:11 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:35:
Why would they pay a billion dollars for something no one has ever heard of? More importantly they could have done it themselves for a few million.

I've heard of it of course, but rarely used it. I watched a guy draw a webcomic on it last year. Maybe it's all the rage with the kids these days?

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 19:02 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:41:
Silicone Lubricant, 50 Gal Drum, NSF H-1. Price: $2,787.43 + $278.86 shipping.

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

Okay, so I went to the actual link:

Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed:

- The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee
- Uranium Ore

I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 18:54 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:41:
Silicone Lubricant, 50 Gal Drum, NSF H-1. Price: $2,787.43 + $278.86 shipping.

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

So is that for the whole transmission? Or just the crankshaft?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 18:51 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 16:57:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 15:09:
It's actually legal to go topless in NYC. (link NSFW)

It's legal to go topless most anywhere. And if any place was stupid enough to try and enforce a ban it they'd lose in court. How idiotic is it that you can carry around an assault rifle, but somehow a pair of tits is offensive.

C'mon Cutter, everyone knows that violence is good clean fun, but sexy time is just dirty.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 25, 2014, 15:35 jdreyer

My local ISP (not one of the biggies) is only installing fiber for new installations and when it's too much effort to repair a damaged line.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 15:09 jdreyer

It's actually legal to go topless in NYC. (link NSFW)  

8637 Comments. 432 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo