Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9874 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2014, 21:31 jdreyer

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 driving wheel for $80 for the next 90 mins.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 21:18 jdreyer

Stuffed to the gills, couldn't even eat my artichoke.

Happy Tofurkey day everyone!

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
3. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 27, 2014, 21:15 jdreyer

Can a PS4 or Xbox One Survive a 15ft Drop?

Well, I DO keep my PS4 up on a 15' shelf, so...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 13:22 jdreyer

Hope Blue takes the day off. He deserves it!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 13:18 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 09:41:
Did he luck out with Gladiator too? American Gangster? Black Hawk Down? When you're as prolific a director as he is, you're going to have some stuff that works out and some stuff that doesn't. Making a movie is very complex and you're working with a lot of different people and studios with their own set of issues. Some projects just don't work out but that doesn't make him a "douchebag". That's coming from someone who loathed Prometheus by the way.

He's had a bad run lately though: Robin Hood, Prometheus, and The Counselor all sucked.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2014, 13:12 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 12:54:
Watching people try to find a non-offensive way to complain about gays is always fun.

That made me crack up because it's becoming so true. It's no longer PC to say the "F" word for gays, just like the "N" word became forbidden 40 years ago. And as LGBT folk are more widely accepted, the hatred has to become more and more subtle.

News Comments > Getaway Day Interviews
8. Re: Getaway Day Interviews Nov 26, 2014, 20:19 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:41:
New article on Sarkessian revealing her con artist past

Sarkeesian Unmasked

Braben just is digging the hole that much deeper.

I wouldn't call that a smoking gun that she's a con artist, but it does explain why her videos are so one sided. She's being intentionally inflammatory to drive traffic which we knew already, this just confirms that she had training and practice doing that and is applying these techniques to FemFreq. To be a con artist, she'd have to not give a shit about Feminism, which I don't quite think is the case.

I do wonder where the money has gone, and why her vids have been so infrequent. While I understand that creating content takes time, she's averaged less than one video a quarter. Given the plethora of material out there for her to use, it should be pretty easy to write up these treatises and populate them with game imagery. Once a month would seem like a more reasonable frequency, especially since she's been doing this for many years.

News Comments > Assassinís Creed Unity Free DLC Offered; Season Passes Discontinued
3. Re: Assassinís Creed Unity Free DLC Offered; Season Passes Discontinued Nov 26, 2014, 19:56 jdreyer

Wow. Credit where it's due. "Hey we fucked up, and we're sorry. Here's a bunch of free shit, including one from a few of our newest, premier titles."  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
53. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 19:44 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:24:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:05:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:04:
My backlog is, so far, winning the battle this year. Usually I buy stuff even though my backlog is ridiculously long. This year seems to be different for some reason. I have less time to play than in previous years, so that is probably part of it. I have some really well reviewed games in my backlog, which is probably a bigger part. I haven't played Dishonored yet, for example.

I don't have time to play games anymore... It's actually starting to affect my mood...
Me too, and I don't even have a woman and still am a single virgin! I struggle to visit BN!! :O

You're single, but no time for games, and struggle to visit BN. Do you just work all the time?

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 18:13 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 13:10:
EA - Politically correct to the point of nausea by pandering to the 3% of the population, and holds the the distinguished honor of worst company in America for many years in a row...

Sounds about right...

Treating your employees well and your customers like shit aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, what's wrong with tolerance and acceptance?

5. Re: Getaway Day Interviews Nov 26, 2014, 18:07 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 13:25:
Dude. The comedy gold laugh is on you. The part you quoted, emphasized and attributed to Braben was part of the question of PCGH and not something Braben said in response. Full quote for clarification (Braben's blurb obviously starts at "I think the coincidence..."):

PCGH: Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen share some obvious similarities. Funding via crowd, close cooperation and maximum transparency with the community, Sci Fi setting, PC focus, space ship simulation, two well-known "veterans" making their comeback with games like in their early years. Is this just by chance?

I think the coincidence is largely because of the rise of Kickstarter, which has started to democratise the publication process by letting people support the games they want. Demand for space games is at a high - largely because there hasn't been anything for a long time. Also the PC has been a bit of a forgotten platform by big publishing - with PC versions coming out months later than their console companion versions.

There is room for both, and I look forwards to playing Star Citizen once it is released (I am an Alpha backer in the meantime), but they will be quite different experiences with different release dates.

Oops. You're right. Misread that. Blush

36. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 17:17 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 16:51:
Linksil wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 16:49:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 16:39:
Krovven wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 16:21:
Titanfall is $5 on Origin.
Link?

It's 20$ for the game+season pass. So my question is: Is it worth it to buy it? and do you have to have a season pass to find games since it's online only.

That being said i'm really tempted to get evil within at the 20$ price.

I heard the Titanfall servers are empty.....so might not be worth it. That is just what friends are telling me, wait for confirmation before making a decision....

Not to sound like a broken record, but I feel the game wouldn't be $5 already if it had an offline mode, allowed modding, had bots to fill in when you didn't have enough players, etc.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 15:45 jdreyer

Well, we still have Batman vs. Darth.

Can't wait for part 2: Superman vs. Darth

14. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 15:06 jdreyer

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition is only $5. Any good?  

13. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 14:58 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 14:40:
Great. Now I own Goat Simulator.
Which is the same price as Gods Among Us, which seems like a way better value, but forget playing fighting games on my PC when I have a 58" TV.

Probably will be my only buy. I have too many things to go through. When I finish FC4 I need to go back and finish Wolfenstein on the 360. Then maybe finally do Dragon Age I on the 360, since I own it. Then maybe go back and finish Skyrim on the 360, since I glitched armor and made the game boring my first playthrough and never went back. Then, finally, I think I'm done with my 360 backlog (unless maybe Halo 3.5 and Halo 4, but doubtful.)

Then? Brave new worlds, my friends. I'll essentially be done with the last gen consoles and not yet interested in a new one.

That should take you right up to the Steam Christmas sale.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 14:23 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 09:59:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 02:36:
Blah blah blah I'm going to completely ignore the fact that technology designed to move people actually kills more than twice as many people in the US as technology that is designed to kill people because it doesn't fit my agenda.
It was a non sequiter. We weren't talking about cars and they have nothing to do with what we were discussing. Cancer kills more people than guns do too. Surprised you didn't bring that up.

No matter how much you try to muddy the issue, the facts as they pertain to the US remain. Your anti-gun hysteria is just that, hysteria. It has no basis in reality and shows your absolute lack of understanding of firearms, their purpose and their use by rational people.

What you, and most anti-gun people, can never seem to wrap their head around is that crime will exist without legal gun ownership. Those who choose to commit violent crimes will do so regardless of what tools are at hand. Remove one and they'll simply pick another. It will not magically go down, no matter how hard you clutch your skirt or wring your hands.

Unless you've been in a situation where you've had to use a firearm to defend yourself, you're talking through your hat. Clearly Prez has, for example, even though he wishes it wasn't necessary but he understands the reality that criminal actors will act. I, too, have been in a situation where having a firearm on my hip didn't just save my life but also saved my father's and we were on our own property. I didn't feel like Rambo, actually I felt terrible after it was all said and done. Nevertheless, I'm glad I had the legal option of owning, carrying and using a firearm in self defense.

I'm glad that worked out for you. And nothing I or anyone else can do will effect your gun-ownership ability in our lifetimes. And crime is a complex issue with many, many causes for which there is no magic bullet. I'm showing that the data shows ownership imparts great risk to you and your family, statistically. If you want to provide peer-reviewed studies like I have supporting your claims, I'll gladly read them. I'm forming opinions based on where the data takes me, not based on emotion or anecdotal one-offs.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 13:55 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 08:19:

I've had these discussions so much I'm tired of it. I can find just as many studies and statistics that show the opposite. The reports I've read that conclude you are more likely to be killed by owning a gun tend to stack their numbers by lumping in gun suicides to the total gun deaths. This is dishonest because someone determined to commit suicide will find a way with or without a gun. After Australia's gun ban, suicide by gun obviously dropped, but the ban had absolutely no effect on the suicide rate because people turned to other methods.

I agree about suicides, and except in that one case where they were called out separately, tried to use studies that focused solely on homicides or accidental shootings. Japan and Korea for instance have much higher suicide rates than the US with much lower gun access.

What all of these "statistics" and studies fail to show is this:
Prez wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:37:
I had to pull my gun once because I saw a dangerous situation developing, and the sight of me doing so de-escalated what could have been a bad situation.
I'm glad that worked out for Prez, but using a gun for self defense can increase your chance of getting shot as I mentioned in my last post.

The USDOJ NCVS shows just over 100,000 reported cases of a guns used in self defense per year. The CDC estimates as many as 500,000 more go unreported. There other studies that attempt to estimate unreported uses of guns in self defense that range from 200,000 to 2.5 million times per year.
Although many claimed cases of self defense are actually acts of intimidation. But, yeah, I'd really like to see that studied in greater detail. It's a hole in our knowledge, no pun intended.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 13:47 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 07:29:
In a country so flooded with firearms, it's like a cold war of sorts, where many feel compelled to own them just for a similar type of deterrence.
Maybe, but only 24% of Americans own guns, mostly men. So most people actually don't own them. And you'd think that weaker, more vulnerable women would own them in greater numbers, were that the motivation.

You will never see a statistic for how many home invasions or carjacking didn't happen because of the likelihood of the potential victim owning a firearm in high crime areas like Memphis.
Like you say, it's a complex issue. I found this article that shows as gun ownership has increased, crime has decreased. Although correlation is not causation (reduction of environmental lead probably had a much greater effect on reducing crime, and video game popularity shows the same trend as against crime as gun ownership does) it's an interesting statistic that bears further much further study. Still, at an individual level, gun ownership imparts high risk:
- Simply having one or more guns in the home increases risk of being accidentally shot by 3.5 to 4 times.
- If you are assaulted, and you have a gun to defend yourself, you are 3-5 times more likely to be shot than not having a gun.
- An abused woman's chance of death increases manyfold if her abuser has access to a gun.

I would LOVE to live in a society where there was no need or place for guns. Unfortunately that will never be the US.
I lived in Japan for many years, and while there are many reasons why crime is so low there, low gun ownership is one of them. It was quite liberating to be able to walk around the streets in a 1.5m person city alone without worry, and see many young single women doing the same. I think we can agree that guns will be rife in the USA in our lifetimes and there's not much we can do about it.

News Comments > Getaway Day Legal Briefs
1. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2014, 12:41 jdreyer

Oops: After Threatening Hacker With 440 Years, Prosecutors Settle for a Misdemeanor.

Thankfully he didn't kill himself first under the pressure of such a threat.

1. Re: Getaway Day Interviews Nov 26, 2014, 12:37 jdreyer

Braben:
Dangerous and Star Citizen share some obvious similarities. Funding via crowd, close cooperation and maximum transparency with the community, Sci Fi setting, PC focus, space ship simulation, two well-known "veterans" making their comeback with games like in their early years.

Emphasis mine. Comedy gold right there.

9874 Comments. 494 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo