Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 11995 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
15. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Apr 28, 2015, 01:47 jdreyer

bigspender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 22:34:
Now if the tank just had up-sized bat gadgets on it, I would have little to complain about, especially if those gadgets were smart/tactical gadgets that would encourage similar bat like strategies as batman would perform in person.

What is needed here are gadgets that allow batman to trap the enemy tanks into small area, then using other gadgets to disable or confuse their weapons, which would allow batman to swoop get in close and give the crew a bat-ass kicking (tanks don't work well in cities, so take advantage of it) Using the tall buildings to conceal and change your position up high so that the tanks cannot get a fix on you. Pre-plant some explosive gel on the road to blow a massive hole in the road to stop the tanks from advancing, use the grapnel to tie their turrets up starwars hoff battle style, and caltrops to shred their tracks/wheels if they attempt to reverse. Use that goo gun or freeze grenade to jam up the sensors and weapons, and while the crew fuddle with the 1/2 disabled tank you could sneak in close and use your detective vision to rip out critical electronics of the tank to disable it completely, or trigger internal fire suppression systems to force the crew out of the tank.

I would play the shit out of that.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 01:28 jdreyer

Deepjay wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:50:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:43:
I paid my $3500, and they won't get a cent more from me.

O_o

Well they already got three thousand five hundred of them out of you - cheesus christ.
Whoops. Missed a decimal place: $35.00. Thanks, Obama.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches
12. Re: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches Apr 28, 2015, 01:23 jdreyer

thecakeisalie wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:43:
My wife still thinks I'm lying when I said I managed to survive my first launch. I did. Don't ask me how, but my kerbals all walked away from it.
Oddly, I did too.

Then I tried to build a space plane and died and died.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 27, 2015, 20:43 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:40:
Seriously people...wtf

Who are the crazy people still pouring money into this?????

Yeah, I don't get it either, but hey, if the game turns out better because of it, more power to those people with the bottomless pockets. I paid my $3500, and they won't get a cent more from me.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
40. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:38 jdreyer

clint wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:29:
True, but what if the main reason is not to bring modders to the scene, but bring in big developers to be steam excusive.

Yup, that could have been the real reason, along with making 65% off of the backs of modders.

Live long, and prosper.

37. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:34 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:53:
Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

Yeah, definitely not thought through by either Valve or Bethesda, but good on them for listening to criticism and responding with the correct action. What is that they say about the road to Hell again?

Live long, and prosper.

33. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:27 jdreyer

descender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 18:57:
Musicians get 8%. Actors get 10-15% at best. Why do we think the modders with no power and no voice will get a better deal?

One could also argue that Steam is taking a smaller cut than they deserve for the potential bandwidth costs of hosting of a popular mod. I can understand the gripes with the 66% that Bethesda is taking. That does seem like... a lot... but I don't get the gripe that the modder's 25% is unfair in any way. 25% is a lot more than 0%.

Would they prefer it go back to 0%? Or should they take what they can get now and bargain for a better deal later? (obviously the latter)

Not really comparable to actors and musicians, both of whom benefit enormously from studio resources from equipment to marketing. Modders design, build, test, publish, and promote on their own. Bethesda already made their money on the base game, and modding has been shown to increase sales (DayZ says "Hi") so they're already making more than they normally would. If the goal is truly to attract good, full time-modders to the scene, they should give a more generous split.

Live long, and prosper.

27. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:21 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:07:
Valve's announcement on pulling the plug.

I came here to rewrite the announcement in a "what they really think" style, but I guess there's no point in pouring water on a fire that's already gone out.

Definitely a case of "What the hell were they thinking?"

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 27, 2015, 20:16 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:06:
Really enjoyed Xulima, good buy if you like oldschool western rpg's.

I'm sure it's a great game, but every time I see that title all I can think of is "Lords of Bulimia."

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 17:30 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 15:08:
GW has his faults, but Obama just is by far the most disingenuous, dividing, pompous snake I've seen in my lifetime.

I'm always baffled when I read stuff like this, and it makes me wonder what is going on in the author's mind. Obama from what I've seen has been an intelligent, thoughtful, and cautious president who played the hand he was dealt pretty well (the worst economic crisis since the 1920s, and an opposition party that had a scorched earth policy). If anything he tried too hard to come to bipartisan agreements only to have the goalposts moved again and again by an opposition party that had no interest in working with him.

All that being said, I've vehemently opposed some of his policies: drone strikes, whistleblower prosecutions, NSA spying expansion, and medical marijuana arrests, for example. And if there's one general complaint that could be leveled against him it is that on many issues he follows instead of leading, being too cautious.

Live long, and prosper.

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 17:04 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 16:18:
descender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 15:46:
Republicans... Mostly because they are racist morons.

Please don't do this, it makes it really hard to take anything else seriously. You don't like Axis doing it so don't do the same.

This analysis by Nate Silver shows slightly higher racist attitudes among Republicans vs. Democrats, but it's a small one. Also, not only is the study itself not perfect (as Nate states in his introduction) there's also statistical accuracy to take into account. I would say empirically, it's not a clear case despite the anecdotal evidence I see on the news.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 27, 2015, 16:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 13:53:
The court ruled correctly. Good, I'm glad when greedy assholes lose cases like this. She's playing nickel slots and expects a $42 million dollar pay out? In what universe does that happen? As the court said, a contract is a contract and she accepted it in order to play. Hope this cost her a bundle and she has to pay all court costs and all legal fees. Then she can sue her lawyers because whoever they were they gave her bad advice and should be disbarred. They were probably just hoping for a quick settlement.

Yeah, I agree. Still, the max payout on that slot was $10K. They could have at least given her that.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 27, 2015, 16:51 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 15:11:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 14:46:
Makes me wonder what Chris Taylor has been doing since he went to work for Wargaming.
Seriously?

Well, yeah. First, do you recognize my avatar?

Second, Sup Com was awesome. And so was the expansion.

Yes, that whole caveman thing was not good, but he was desperate. Now that he's got financial backing, I'm curious what he's been up to.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Apr 27, 2015, 14:49 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 14:18:
siapnar wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 13:43:
Still not huge on tanks in a Batman game, though :p

Yeah, I'm not wild about that, either. Hopefully it's a smaller part.

IIRC there's a tank in the trailer for the new Batman v Superman movie?

EDIT: Also, looks like Arkham Knight: Black Ops?

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2015, 14:56.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 27, 2015, 14:46 jdreyer

Makes me wonder what Chris Taylor has been doing since he went to work for Wargaming.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 27, 2015, 14:44 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 13:49:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 11:13:
You have to wonder if he realizes how stupid he sounds?

He doesn't actually believe that people will fall for his nonsense?

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." - H. L. Mencken

I'm just curious if he actually believes the shit he's saying. I find it strange that so many people can lie so easily. My biggest problem has always been the opposite of that which is why I never would have made it as a stock broker/captain of industry/politician.

Heh, "cutter" would become its own vocabulary word:

"He just made another cutter!"

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2015, 14:20 jdreyer

And it was 19 years ago today that MrsBlue and I tied the knot.

Congrats!

Live long, and prosper.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 14:08 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 10:57:
The present administration in Washington will likely go down in history as one of the dumbest, most backwards-looking administrations in U.S. history.
Actually George W. has that sewn up.

The problem is that whenever the government steps in and interferes with private business on whatever pretext it uses, it's always for the sake of "the consumer." However, rarely can it be shown that the consumer benefits.
Link to study supporting your assertion? Also, do you really think a more monopolistic market would have been preferable in this case?

How the TWC customers are supposed to benefit from continuing on as TWC customers beats me. I've not seen anything to support that position come out of Washington. What I have seen is the government acting on anti-Comcast sentiment that is 100% emotional/political--so it was not "the consumer" who benefited here: it was the anti-Comcast crowd. Makes me feels sorry for the ailing TWC's customer base.
This fight was never about improving TWC customer position. It was about preventing the market in general from becoming more monopolistic. The combined company would have controlled more than 50% of all customers in the nation, had they been allowed to merge.

Comcast could do better, though, in upgrading its own Internet
infrastructure to a minimum of 25Mbs/sec down for the rates it presently supplies 6Mb/sec down. Had the company done that first and then sought the merger--it's likely it would have been greenlighted from the get-go. Resisting universally higher broadband connection speeds will not help Comcast in any way.
What really hurt Comcast was its poor decisions on customer support. When you drastically cut staff, treat employees like shit, treat customers like shit, use your customer support to upsell, and run your installation teams like Russian roulette, there's going to be blowback when you try to become the majority ISP in the nation. Dozens of different stories over the past year that rang true for thousands and thousands of Comcast customers is really what did them in.

And yes, most cable companies at this point are in "harvest" mode making gross profits and not improving infrastructure because there's no competition, so no motivation to do so. Funny how when Google moves into an area and offers fiber, suddenly cable companies are able to improve throughput.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Pigeon. Well said!

Live long, and prosper.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 13:42 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 10:58:
Congressman Eliot Engel (D-NY) will introduce a bill in the House of Representatives to stiffen the penalties for those convicted of "swatting."

Ahh.. So it won't solve anything but will allow him to grandstand. No wording in there to limit swat powers. Any idiot could come up with that idea: criminalize and increase existing penalties. He didn't solve a single thing.

Well, this is low-hanging fruit, and only one piece of the puzzle. We do need to more strictly punish swatters beyond "filing a false police report." However, we must also have more processes in place for SWAT teams to verify calls and track down swatters that do break the law in this way. As you say, just increasing penalties alone won't really change much.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
21. Re: Into the Black Apr 27, 2015, 04:15 jdreyer

@ MajorD.

Thanks for the intelligent and articulate response. This issue is fraught with emotions, and they can easily overwhelm any reasonable discussion.

Live long, and prosper.

11995 Comments. 600 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo