Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8632 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU
8. Re: Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU Sep 2, 2014, 16:53 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 16:23:
Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 16:14:
Wow that was fast!
Yeah it only took 5 years

I don't think they even had the R18 until a few months ago though, did they?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jameson: The Pilot Announced
4. Re: Jameson: The Pilot Announced Sep 2, 2014, 16:52 jdreyer

I despise 8-bit, even though I see the necessity for small teams. That being said, I will say that this does look pretty cool, and I'll leave it on my wish lust to pick up once it's finished.  

News Comments > Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 2, 2014, 15:26 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 06:17:
As an on-off virtual simmer, I gotta say this is kind of lame. Sure it looks kind of cool, but all the printed gauges, avionics etc. are just distractions and they limit your FOV if you have any kind of serious big screen or projector which most sim pit enthusiasts use.

I kind of feel that the OR might make something like this pointless.

News Comments > Op Ed
296. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:40 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 14:36:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 14:18:
Due to their common roots, English should be pretty easy to pick up for a native German speaker and vice versa. I think I read it takes about 30 hours for an English speaker to get survival level German. The same level of Japanese (and by extension, it's sister language Korean) takes about 100 hours. The languages are just so different from European languages.

Sure, but survival level German (or English) is a far cry from achieving any sort of real eloquence, or even just maintaining a consistent writing style. Things like knowing what connotation a phrase carries, or what sounds aloof or distanced vs. warm or welcoming. To say nothing of contemporary slang. It goes beyond knowing the grammar and the morphemes - you need some level of cultural and historic awareness, too.

Getting to survival level Korean isn't actually that hard either. Once you wrap your head around the grammar (which is perhaps a little bit easier for Germans because we're used to S-O-V word order) slotting in words to form basic sentences starts feeling easy and fun. But then you hit a pleateau that requires a lot of time and effort to advance beyond - just navigating all the subtleties of the many different speech levels alone is pretty difficult. There don't seem to be any real shortcuts. It'll take years before I could usefully participate in a Korean version of this thread.

German-vs-English is easier not just because we share so many root forms, but also because there's a much higher-bandwidth cultural exchange going on. But it still takes years, too.

Right, also because of a shared European heritage and culture. Asian culture developed along such a different path than western culture. And especially in the USA, where, IIRC we had so many German immigrants during the formative years of our country that we missed having German as the national language by just a few votes. Imagine how the world might be different today if that had been the case!

News Comments > Op Ed
294. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:21 jdreyer

Quinn wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 05:02:

Yeah, well, it's developers like Rockstar that do "deserve" a militant-feminist beating. Their approach and/or view on women seems to be that of a 16 year-old, with a PS controller in his left hand and his penis in his right. In fact, it's the entire image of Rockstar for me. It's kind of a paradox that their games are so extremely solid nonetheless.

True, but the men are also pretty seedy underbelly stereotypes too.

News Comments > Op Ed
293. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:18 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:26:
Side note: I started studying Korean this year, and fuck, dat shit be humblin'. I didn't really fathom how much English I've assimilated over the years - starting cold on something new you realize the sheer quantity of information like this that goes into being able to express yourself in the way you intend to.

Due to their common roots, English should be pretty easy to pick up for a native German speaker and vice versa. I think I read it takes about 30 hours for an English speaker to get survival level German. The same level of Japanese (and by extension, it's sister language Korean) takes about 100 hours. The languages are just so different from European languages.

When I was in high school I thought learning French was so difficult. After learning how to speak Japanese, I realized how easy French and Spanish were.

News Comments > Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU
2. Re: Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU Sep 2, 2014, 13:41 jdreyer

I wonder how it was censored. No blood? No flying body parts? No spitter titties?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2014, 05:39 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 12:28:
Happy Labour Day to the rest of the English spelling world!

I bet the Gunnar-man misses her dearly.

The only reason there's a "u" at all is because William the Conqueror kicked British ass 1000 years ago and introduced some proper Gaulish culture to that island backwater.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 05:36 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 00:50:
2) making your $35 entry fee look like chump change, making you a second-class (third-class?) citizen.

Maybe I'm not a Star Citizen anymore. Maybe I'm an Asstroid Citizen.

News Comments > Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 2, 2014, 05:32 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 00:45:
bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 23:38:
I think using 4mm coroplast/corflute would be the way to go, it would last for ever. (provided you put out your cigarettes on it lol.

Even better would be if it was somehow foldable like a concertina, so you can hide it easily and even take it somewhere if needed.

Car cockpits would be the way to go, I'd imagine the market would be bigger too.
It's the only way I'll own a lambo

Yeah.. someone ought to tell him that the market for car cockpits is like 500000 times larger ;p If it can support wheels, shifter and pedal it might be something I'd have instantly pledged for. This is gonna be vital stuff for VR, since this construction is very light, and so "full body force-feedback" would be way cheaper to realize.

Near the bottom of the KS it shows that one of the future projects could be an F1 cockpit.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 1, 2014, 22:44 jdreyer

Smoking Ban Snuffing Out South Korea’s Internet Cafes…

Welcome to the 21st century.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 21:40 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 21:15:
oh my bad, i didn't realize they recently added a $325 ship/package for sale.

325 fucking dollars for a game which is nowhere near finished yet?

325 bucks and you barely have any game to play with your shiny new ship anyways.

pay2win fail.

I paid $35 or so during the kickstarter. I could see paying $100 for some goodies or something. I really don't understand anyone who pays much more than that. I guess those people are funding it for the rest of us.

News Comments > Op Ed
267. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 17:58 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 15:33:

And it has NOTHING to do with the topic. It's another distraction to get you talking about something irrelevant or overload the conversation with so much garbage the original topic is lost. You're either falling for it now or you are part of the problem.

Wait, you're the "oligarchy" guy, right? Forget it.

Who's paying for the opinion is important context.

You don't think we're an oligarchy?

News Comments > Op Ed
266. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 17:45 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 14:58:

Folks, I thought American high schools specifically teach debating? (Which I always thought was really cool and sorely lacking here.) Or is that a myth from film/TV?

Most schools do not teach debating. And if you watch most American News programs you can see that "debates" tend to be 3 minute affairs that usually end in shouting matches. That Americans don't learn enough about debating is part of the reason monied interests have been able to turn politics to their favor.

News Comments > Op Ed
261. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 15:30 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 14:09:
And now predictably dishonest Beamer is using the same tactics as US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Democrat-Nevada) by deflecting to the Koch brothers again. He is like the parody of liberalism except this is how they really are. Dishonest. Always deflecting. Liars. Hypocrites. They cannot stay on topic because it exposes them as the frauds they are.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. That the Kochs don't fund the AEI? They donated almost $2M last year. That the Kochs don't donate to other conservative think tanks that support putting their own profits over the concerns of the nation (Heritage Foundation, ALEC, Reason, Cato, Americans for Prosperity, FreedomWorks, etc.)? That who pays your paycheck doesn't influence your opinion at an opinion-producing think tank? That AEI isn't stocked with neocon bureaucrats responsible for the 2nd Iraq War, one of the worst debacles in US history (John Bolton, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Pearle, etc) and who you work with doesn't affect your opinions?

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 14:54 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 11:27:
Then we'll get the pudding. But screaming and crying about it, throwing tantrums and generally being an offensive nuisance about not having pudding isn't going to incline me to abandon the more pressing issues that I already have.

But how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2014, 06:27 jdreyer

Just watched Jodorowsky's Dune. Such a shame no one gave him $100M to make that movie. It's amazing that the crew he put together (Dan O'Bannon, H. R. Giger, Jean "Moebius" Giraud, Chris Foss) all went on to work together to make Alien just a year or so later, a seminal sci fi film that still holds up to this day. Not sure the world of cinema would have been transformed by his Dune, but I would have loved to watch the film they imagined.  

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 06:12 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 04:09:
Let's look at Blues news today:
Activision Taking Take-Two - a business story generated by an investing site
Icewind Dale announcement - PR
Raya Sound Engine - PR
The Sims 4 Preloads - PR
Steam Top 10 - autogenerated report
Op Ed - obviously op ed, but pointless for a site to report as news and not put some commentary (Blue is an aggregator, not a reporter, so he lists)
Interviews - PR, but questions can be seen as commentary
Previews - Commentary on something led by PR
Consolidation - Dead or Alive Announcement - PR
Metaverse - "Shady Retailers" sounds like commentary in the headline
Tech Bits - NVIDIA rumor - news. Anand - PR
Safety Dance - News, plus some commentary, that appears innacurate
Hardware reviews - all commentary

With a few exceptions, most things are PR generated, and what isn't needs some commentary to even be worth clicking on, unless knowing about Dead or Alive 5 or The Sims release dates really get you excited. That's the nature of this industry. News is created almost exclusively by PR, and everyone basically has the same access to the same news, so giving your own voice is the only way to be distinguished.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. You forgot the most important section:
OUT OF THE BLUE. This is a hard-hitting journalistic exposé that occurs daily, covering such relevant topics as:
- the walking of the dog
- the state of trees and deer in Blue's yard
- the state of the nation called MANSTOVIA
- the status of chili and barbecue in general
- the weather in NY
- prominent deaths
- the dubious financial errors of DirectTV
- holidays including those from other countries and lesser known ones like Go Topless Day
- NY sports
- the state of air conditioning in Blue Tower
and many other pertinent, life-and-death topics necessary for general living and well-being.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 1, 2014, 03:47 jdreyer

You really have to wonder what kind of sociopathic fuckers would put language like that in their ToS. On the other hand, given that 4% of CEOs are psychopaths, it follows that shit like this would end up in the ToS. From the article:
There was a time when successful and rich people were known by the amount of charity they did for the society. But it seems that as the stock markets rule the world of business and what the CEOs do every day and every month, traits insincerity, lack of truthfulness and lack of remorse and shame become second nature.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 03:28 jdreyer

Squirmer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 03:02:
Slashman wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 00:52:
As to why game studios wouldn't make better female characters, money may have something to do with it. If you need to bring in a professional writer every time you make an action game just to 'nice up the female characters' in it, who is paying for that? And what kind of financial gain is to be had from it? Last time I checked, patting yourself on the back doesn't balance books.
Okay, now you're arriving at the problem. Game companies should have to hire another person just to ensure their developers aren't being sexist assholes. Spreading awareness of these issues will help to address that problem.

It's much cheaper to educate yourselves. My feeling is that most devs are not sexist, they just use tropes without really thinking about it. And I think that's what a lot of this is all about.

8632 Comments. 432 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo