Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13175 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight Burns Out Runic
34. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 2, 2015, 00:51 jdreyer

christheshitter wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 19:57:
PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:46:
Torchlight 2 was boring as fuckin hell. An entirely by-the-numbers affair with competence abound but utterly lacking in imagination. Torchlight represented a solid foundation that its sequel totally failed to expand upon.

If you thought Torchlight 2 was boring try the first one. An unimaginative plot if you ever could call it that. It was like playing an user interactive comic magazine. The game has aged badly! No really they tried and failed with Torchlight.

They made the first one in 11 months. You have to admit, it's pretty good for a game produced in last than a year by just a few people.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 2, 2015, 00:50 jdreyer

Osc8r wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 19:02:
"Diablo 3 is killing it right now. Diablo 3 is a really fun game"

Did he forget the /sarcasm tag or the "...said nobody ever" line?

Anyways, i lol'd.

My comment about playing more TL2 than D3 was back when both had just came out. I understand D3 is much improved with the major patch they did last year, but I haven't played it since.

Live long, and prosper.

32. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 2, 2015, 00:49 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:56:

I love borderlands too, but the ARPG mechanics are waaaaaaay too simple. Hellgate was a serious ARPG and Borderlands definitely doesn't scratch my ARPG itch. Borderlands is just a great coop game.

It's an ARPG. By definition, it's simple.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 2, 2015, 00:42 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 18:36:
Canine Hepatitis? Hepatitis D?

Yo, you gots to kut K9 a break. She used to shoot smack, but went cold turkey last year. Only recently did she discover she had Hep D.

On a more serious note, hope she pulls through.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 2, 2015, 00:37 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 23:00:
Or another way to put it is that PC gamers are injecting 10 billion into the economy every year in energy alone.

Heh. While consoles use less electricity than a PC typically, there are more of them, so I'd suspect the amount of electricity they use to be similar.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 00:35 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 22:58:
ONROE, La., Aug. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) announced today that it will bring high-speed Internet services to approximately 1.2 million rural households and businesses in 33 states by accepting approximately $500 million a year for six years from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)'s Connect America Fund (CAF).

Seriously? They're getting 3 billion in tax dollars for 1.2 million people? And I'm guessing they get to charge them an arm and leg for service too even though it's only going to be 10/1 Mbps.

This is why the internet needs to be nationalized globally.

While I don't disagree that the internet should be a public utility like water or the highway system, in their defense it can be pretty expensive to run lines in rural areas.

All that being said, we've seen tax breaks given to big Telcos before and the Telcos not holding up their end. So I hope this is tightly defined and has real teeth if CL fails to hold up their end.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 2, 2015, 00:29 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 22:26:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 21:36:
The most insane quote from that article is him saying

If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it.

If that's true then he's got to be placed in some record book of slickest salesman ever.

CR states an average intake of $2.5 million per month or $30 million per year. I'm guessing about 2 more years until it's finished.

DS estimates that the average working joe has already spent $92 dollars on the game. I doubt they can be squeezed much more. And newcomers are probably gun shy.

The question is where are they going to find an additional $60 million.

Yeah, that sweet nostalgianerd cash is going to dry up at some point, and my bet is sooner than later.

On the other hand, WoW pulled in $50M-$100M a month for more than a decade, and fools like this will blow $9000 on an iphone game. So there's no accounting how people will blow cash.

On the other other hand, WoW and Game of War are actually finished products...

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month Sep 1, 2015, 20:11 jdreyer

I assume it's an open beta. When everyone is trying to DL the 40GB demo at the same time, the internet may finally break.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Act of Aggression Launch Trailer
1. Re: Act of Aggression Launch Trailer Sep 1, 2015, 20:06 jdreyer

Looks pretty sweet. I'll pick this up at some point. I just picked up the first one during the summer sale, so I'll play that one first.

Also, not sure that we've had that much of a dry spell. Grey Goo was a pretty classic RTS that came out just a few months ago.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 1, 2015, 20:03 jdreyer

Because of course it's yuri.

Girl + girl = HAWT!
Boy + boy = NOT!

You'd think they'd do some kind of hetero dating sim first, but maybe this is "safer?"

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2015, 18:09 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:40:
Rockfish's Everspace reached their crowdfunding goal with 9 days to spare! Check out this beauty! Another game I backed, Exoplanet: First Contact, reached their crowdfunding goal with 10 days to go.

Yeah, I backed this too. After going 1.5 yrs without backing anything, suddenly I've backed a couple of projects recently. I think this looks great. Also, a single player starfighter game? I think I crowdfunded something like that 3 years ago, and it still isn't done...

The other thing I backed recently was GRIP. Unfortunately, it got canceled, but it looks like it will get on Steam Early Access.

As for Exoplanet, I thought $50K for what they wanted to do was far too little.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Sep 1, 2015, 18:00 jdreyer

Meh, there's still a lot of sexism in gaming, even as we move toward fairer treatment of women in games year over year. Violence is also a part of our evolution, but we've largely learned to control our urges in that realm.

While I don't agree with Sarkeesian's techniques, I think she serves the useful purpose of reminding us there's still work to do. Personally, however, I find stuff like this more effective.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2015, 17:54 jdreyer

Corruption in Chicago? Whaaaa?  

Live long, and prosper.

24. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 1, 2015, 17:52 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:53:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:52:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:42:
I would love a 3/4 perspective sci fi ARPG. The only ones that really come to mind over the last 20 years are Space Seige and the Crusader series. Wish Runic had done something like that.

It would be very cool to have things like a crap ton of weapons, teleporters, force fields, enemy robots, mutants, xenomorphs, ship levels, planet levels, space levels, etc. etc. There's so much room for variety.

Is there one out there I'm missing?

Hellgate is just like that, but it's first person and third person. I've said this a million times here, but it's my favorite ARPG of all time and it has a much better system than D3 in my opinion. Well, it's not exactly like you say. It's not in space... But it's definitely futuristic.

Hellgate Global being the only persistent FPS ARPG (after all the changes/booing) made it appealing right away to me, but it was a solid fun game. I hopped on it occasionally all the way up to the last couple years.

One thing I've been hornblowing about for years getting a properly done FPS ARPG. Borderlands could take that to the bank in western markets, but they're going Asian, so who knows.

I was hoping for a 3/4 perspective sci-fi ARPG.

For a sci fi FPS ARPG, there are the three Borderlands games, which I love very much.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
58. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 17:46 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:12:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:47:
That one line is enough to make it a no buy. M/KB should always be the main and equal to or better than adding console controller.(as well as the console save system).

C'mon...you're meaning to tell me you prefer to play racing and platforming games with a M/KB over a controller? I find that very hard to believe. Some games are easier to control with a M/KB and some are easier to control with a controller. There's no need to be a "PC Master Race" elitist.

For those kinds of games, yes. But for a game like this, the developer needs to put in the effort to make sure the port works well with a M/KB. It sounds from the comments that they may not have, and that's unacceptable.

Live long, and prosper.

56. Re: Mad Max released, Star Citizen not even remotely close to release Sep 1, 2015, 17:44 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:46:
Silvanus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:07:
Seems like wasted potential being single player only. Could be a fun Multiplayer game playing CTF or something like Rocket league in the wasteland.

-Silvanus

DLC I am sure......

I forget, do these games have multiplayer components? Batman, Shadow over Mordor, Assassin's Creed, since Mad Max seems to take a lot of inspiration from those. I don't own Shadow, and I don't recall for the others, since I'm largely a SP gamer.

Live long, and prosper.

54. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 17:41 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:33:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:35:
I really enjoy this game!
It figures that you'd like a casual game like this whilst zealously bashing Star Citizen, a game with depth.

Star Citizen has an arena module and a social module. Until proven otherwise it has the depth of a used tampon dispenser.

Ouch. Don't hold back now. Tell us how your really feel.

Live long, and prosper.

53. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 17:37 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:33:
*sigh 2 solid hours of gameplay. I didn't have high expectations, this is a half rant, half report what I saw. Glad I didn't pay full price, this is in NO WAY a $59.99 game.

(Snipping awesome, massive review)

Anyway. 6/10 so far.

Game ran solid, no glitches, bugs, crashes, etc.

It's interesting that lots of critics didn't like it (Kotaku, Polygon, Gamespot) but it's getting "Overwhelming Positive" reviews over on Steam.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
151. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 15:46 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:05:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:24:
Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

I actually agree with you I'd rather they take their time on SQ42 and knock it out of the park, since that's about 98% of why I invested to begin with. Leaving out multiplayer will piss off a lot of people but as much as I shake my head at all the shuffling going on, I consider leaving out drop-in co-op to be *good* news.

IIRC, they'll first release the first half of SQ42? And that will come end of 2015, first half of 2016? When might we see the rest of it?

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2015, 14:15 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:57:
It's not funny if you're 6'3 and every time you go to the damn grocery store you're the person getting shit off the top shelf for the "vertically challenged" people.
I'm going to start asking them to get stuff off the bottom shelf for me cause I'm too tall.

In your defense, it's really hard on the back for tall people to bend over that far. Also, due to the distance from heart to brain in tall people, you are at risk for "red-out" when bending over when you get older. Your heart isn't strong enough to push the blood out of the brain when the head is lower than the heart, and you can get dizzy and pass out. So, ask away!

Live long, and prosper.

13175 Comments. 659 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo