Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9854 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
27. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 26, 2014, 04:43 jdreyer

Linthat22 wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 18:29:
If I remember correctly with all the promises of Tabula Rasa from Garriott and look what happened there. Thank goodness the podcast for GFW Radio was around back then (yo yo).

Man, it sucks that Tabula Rasa was an MMO. If it had been a regular game with SP and MP components, we'd still have it, and some enterprising modder would have fixed it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 04:32 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 01:21:
True that. I also asked about the availability of the SP campaign back in August when they made BF4 a part of Origin Game Time and when someone confirmed that you can in fact play the campaign, I downloaded BF4, finished the campaign and uninstalled. Worked like a charm.

*Cartman voice*

SWEEEEET.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 02:36 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 23:07:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:24:
I could go on and on.

Please do, I'm intrigued by your ability to cognitively disconnect from the fact that you are more likely to be killed in an auto accident than by a gun and that there are far more actual and real deaths per year involving automobiles than guns. Source 1. Source 2.

In fact, roughly averaging the numbers across the whole of the nation shows that you are twice as likely to be killed in an auto accident. Data shows that there are apparently a very large amount of gun owners whom are responsible, law abiding citizens whereas a large amount of automobile owners are mouth breathing idiots who can't stop eating, talking on the cell phone or turning around to scream at Junior long enough not to plow in to someone and kill them.

Comparing car deaths and gun deaths is a complete straw man argument. They're completely different pieces of technology with completely different usage patterns and purposes. There are entire nations that have millions of cars and no firearms and get by just fine. There is a direct correlation between how strictly firearms are restricted and how many deaths there are from them:

Japan has 6 guns per 1000 people. Homicides from firearms was 11 in 2008 (most recent year for which I could find data), or 1 for every 10,000,000 citizens.

USA has 900 guns per 1000 people (highest rate in the world). Homicides from firearms was 17,826 in 2008, or 594 for every 10,000,000 citizens. Basically, you're 600 times more likely to be shot and killed in the USA than in Japan.

Lowest gun ownership? Tunisia, which has just 1 gun per 1000 people. Of course they're totally oppressed by their tyrannical government, because guns are necessary to maintain a free state. Oh, wait, that's right, they overthrew their tyrannical government without guns.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 00:16 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:27:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 21:24:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 20:37:
BF3 for $5. Guess I'll wait until BF4 falls to that price so I can play through the SP campaign.

Just grab the Game Time version of BF4 on Origin - for FREE. You can play BF4 (DLC-less ofc) for a week which is plenty time to finish the single player campaign (six to eight hours).
It's pretty crappy by the way. Quite a bit worse than BF3's IMHO. But nothing beats free so why the hell not just play it, right?

Really? And it comes with the SP campaign?

Dude. Yes. How else would I have been able to play it? It's real!

I just ask because when they offer these up for "free" it's typically MP only.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 22:27 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 21:24:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 20:37:
BF3 for $5. Guess I'll wait until BF4 falls to that price so I can play through the SP campaign.

Just grab the Game Time version of BF4 on Origin - for FREE. You can play BF4 (DLC-less ofc) for a week which is plenty time to finish the single player campaign (six to eight hours).
It's pretty crappy by the way. Quite a bit worse than BF3's IMHO. But nothing beats free so why the hell not just play it, right?

Really? And it comes with the SP campaign?

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 22:24 jdreyer

While I hear what Cutter and Jimnms are saying, and I understand the comfort gun ownership affords, the statistics are pretty damning:
This model indicated that for each percentage point increase in gun ownership, the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%.
"An armed society is a polite society" is also a myth. Guns, like internet anonymity, afford a level of protection to the owner such that they feel they can get away with more:
motorists who had been in a vehicle in which there was a gun were more likely to engage in such forms of road rage.
Does a gun in your home make you safer? Nope:
626 shootings occurred in or around a residence. This total included 54 unintentional shootings, 118 attempted or completed suicides, and 438 assaults/homicides. Thirteen shootings were legally justifiable or an act of self-defense, including three that involved law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty
Got that? Of 626 home shootings, only 13 were in self defense. The problem with guns and humans is that humans have poor judgement and make mistakes. And you can't often undo a mistake with a gun.

I could go on and on.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 25, 2014, 21:32 jdreyer

FTC compels Sony to issue refunds over misleading Vita launch ads.

The FTC alleges that the PlayStation 3 was not designed to support these features, and that SCEA and Deutsch LA knew (or should have known) they were misleading people about the scope of the cross-play feature set when they ran those marketing campaigns.

Hmm, product advertised with feature, yet product doesn't support feature on launch? And they had to settle with the government and offer refunds? I wonder if they'll look at Elite: Dangerous next.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 25, 2014, 21:27 jdreyer

I think the thing that struck me was that the dinos don't look that much better than Spielberg's original back in 1993. Just shows how much that movie did right back then. I still remember my jaw involuntarily dropping when that first dino appeared on screen in the theater, and it WASN'T STOP MOTION. Couldn't wrap my brain around how they'd done it. It was a watershed film for sure.

Also glad they didn't reveal the dino in the trailer. I'm imagining it as a T-Rex with Alien claws and Jeff Goldblum's head.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 21:17 jdreyer

Slitherine link currently points to Matrix games. Here's one I found that might be more correct.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 25, 2014, 20:55 jdreyer

It would be such an awesome thing, which is why it's not going to happen. Corporate interests own too many politicians for something this beneficial to occur. And of course, this would be set up in cities first where it would have the broadest reach, and that would mean Teh Poorz would have free internet. Can't have that. Can't let them have any opportunity to learn and rise up out of their place.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 20:37 jdreyer

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 25, 2014, 20:31 jdreyer

Convert your car into a 2-ton video game console: What could go wrong?

Nothing unsafe there. Nope. Rolleyes

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2014, 15:58 jdreyer

The undermining of the unions corresponds directly with the stagnation of American wages. Unions aren't perfect by any means, but the lack of unions in most industries these days is a big reason for lower salaries and wages.  

News Comments > Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed?
7. Re: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed? Nov 25, 2014, 15:54 jdreyer

Hmm, so basically it's the skimpy outfits that the ESRB is giving this an "M" rating? Cuz the violence in DoA isn't really that bad: no blood, no limb removal, etc. Mortal Kombat, it ain't. I don't see much difference between DoA and Street Fighter, but the latter gets a "T".  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 15:22 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 14:15:

Castle Doctrine on the other hand - wish more states would put that into law. The law here in Minnesota is so asinine. The law states you must flee your own home. Unreal. No one has ever been charged, but it is on the books as basically saying if you can leave your home during an attack, you should.....

Castle Doctrine + No-knock Raids = bloody mess. Dead police, dead innocent residents, Castle Doctrine not protecting defendants when the police are shot executing the no-knock, etc:

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House

Another Drug Raid Nightmare

Jose Guerena shooting

Two SWAT Raids. Two Officers Dead. One Defendant Is Black, One White. Guess What Happened.

Especially like that last one. And that's not even mentioning all the innocents killed or injured NOT fighting back. Like this one. Or this one. Or the hundreds of dogs killed by SWAT teams.

Whatever happened to "Come out with your hands up?"

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
22. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 25, 2014, 13:35 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 11:43:
knowing this crowd, the game is probably awesome and the graphics great.

The people at blues are the worst gamers on the planet. If you could actually call them gamers. you guys are more like amateur trolls from some youtube comedy channel.

I had fond memories of the Ultimas (played III-VII back in the day), but the KS was unimpressive. The graphics are serviceable, but nothing great. Probably around ES: Oblivion levels. Witcher 3, DA:I, and even Skyrim pretty much blow it away. And the gameplay was also just serviceable in the KS video. I've not seen anything recently though. This combination put it in the Wait And See category for me.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 13:24 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:38:
blue you really should just give in to your surprising pyro tendencies XD

Just be sure to post on youtube, Blue. Flamethrower

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 13:22 jdreyer

Plea deal for woman with 'stand your ground' defense.

If she'd shot and killed him, she'd be free. Instead she shot to warn him, and she goes to jail. That's pretty messed up.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 13:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 10:48:
Next year I'll be staring on converting my lawns into wild/rock gardens and vegetable gardens with raised beds, trellises, etc. Lawns are just a useless environmental nightmare.

Just be sure you're not in violation of local ordinances.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 25, 2014, 13:12 jdreyer

Blue featured this game, and I checked it out. And I really appreciated what this guy and his team were trying to accomplish. However...

1. I'm pretty selective these days about what I KS, and while I considered this due to its sheer scope, in the end I decided it didn't make the grade. I think a lot of people are being more selective these days compared to the gold rush of 2 years ago.

2. While he says people complained about the graphics and that's why he was hiring an artist, I wasn't confident an artist was going to be able to improve things much. The main issue I felt is that the engine is just too simplistic. Especially for someone like me that's been following Limit Theory weekly for the past year.

3. Speaking of Limit Theory, there are a lot of games in development doing similar things out there right now: Star Citizen, Elite, Limit Theory, etc. (Admittedly without this level of scope, but covering a lot of the bases)

9854 Comments. 493 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo