Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9311 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2014, 13:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 12:54:
The good old Shepard Shuffle. Best goofy-white-guy dance ever.

Missing the White Man's Overbite.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2014, 13:36 jdreyer

Only two years? Amateurs. When you commit online abuse in the USA, we charge you with 50 years in prison and $1M fine. And then you kill yourself.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 13:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 10:50:
Of course the assholes making Hatred are fascists. Typical extreme-right, tiny-dicked, powerless losers with delusions of grandeur wanting to take out their frustrations on the world around them, never once realizing they're the entire source of their own problems.

On the plus side, I expect these guys to be out of business soon. This game looks like it cost some cash to make, and I don't expect it to sell much. Honestly, who's the market for stuff like this? It seems very niche, which means not a lot of sales.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 13:11 jdreyer

ldonyo wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 10:40:
Can we just agree that payment of any kind for good reviews and hating/harassing/discriminating against people for any reason are all bad so we can move on to something else now?

If we did that, we wouldn't be able to have 100 comment long threads anymore.

Wouldn't that make you sad?

News Comments > Star Trek Online Expands
31. Re: Star Trek Online Expands Oct 19, 2014, 15:51 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 11:37:
They need to improve their publicity, Star Citizen could add a zero to those price tags and still get the money.

Reliant class for $200? Enterprise D for $500?

News Comments > Hatred Announced
57. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 19, 2014, 07:04 jdreyer

Quinn wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 04:01:
This is the original Postal anno 2014. Crazy, unethical, but fun as hell! Games and morality hardly go together so stop sobbing. It's entertainment and it looks like fun, like the original Postal.

"It's entertainment!" Fair enough. The poster didn't seem to understand the hate for Hatred. I was explaining. I suspect the same people would don't like this would react the same way to the red band trailer for Saw or Chaos. Which is to say, most of us.

As for morality and gaming, they absolutely go together. Most games have a moral narrative driving the story and action. It's this game's lack of morality that we find objectionable, in fact.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2014, 02:48 jdreyer

Damn, that "prank" 911 call is a pretty sweet story. Smart dispatcher. here's the full dialog.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2014, 02:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 17:01:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 14:19:
I read a story yesterday that said inequality today is worse than any time since the era of the robber barons more than 100 years ago. Given that it's no great shock that ticket prices are geared toward the 1%.

I don't think it's really geared towards it, and I doubt that the Royals are happy that their blue-collar fans who buy tickets during the regular season now can't afford to watch their team play the greatest games of their lifetimes.

It's just a simple market adjustment for something that is in extremely high demand and has very limited supply. Dodge Challenger Hellcats are currently going for $25000 above MSRP because ton of people want them, and there are few to go around. It sucks for the fans who can't afford these tickets, but there's nothing nebulous going on.

Also, KC is a small market, that doesn't mean that there is nobody with money there.

Well, yes, it's supply and demand, but the only reason they can demand that much is that there's a 1% that has the massive disposable income to not think twice about paying that much. Don't fool yourself into thinking that if we had 1950s income distribution where CEOs made 10x worker salaries instead of the 300x they make today that prices would be anywhere near this high.

55. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 19, 2014, 02:38 jdreyer

Yakata wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 04:05:
There, better.
And I don't seem to be the only one defending it, maybe I am mistaken, doesn't matter anyways.

For me I only see a difference in justifications for violence here. We are led to believe that justifications, political, justice, survival, make murderous violence OK.
No justifications do make anything better at all other than ones sleep at night.
A battlefield army vs army with collateral is no different, the winner writes the history.

Its funny I have a feeling this would go over so much better if the protagonist had a good sob story to the effect society has done grievous harm to him and his family (mixed race couple with his wife lynched by town mob, child abused by priest blablabla, bank repossessing home blablabla)
So now he is blinded by the grief and rage of lost loved ones and total injustice and so now its OK(ish, kindof, its wrong but ok, sortof, we can understand the worldview distortion...)

But in the end. Hes a killer on a killing spree. Just like these young soldiers are killing other young soldiers and civilians. There is no difference at the end. The only morally right thing is no killing.

This is what appears hypocritical about this all.
We are all enjoying the virtual violence. (at least most. If you are a seriously pacifist playing only non military simulations etc mea culpa)

Okay, gotcha. Still, I think context makes all the difference. This guy is killing innocents for the pure pleasure of it. When I play CoD, I'm killing, true, but it's in a war, with armed enemies shooting back. Most games present enemies as legit targets, usually a me-or-him situation and killing to reach some greater end. Doesn't seem to be the case here at all. This is killing for pure pleasure, doesn't matter who or why. It's the same reason people got upset at Sarkeesian's Hitman example, b/c no one plays the game that way and the game doesn't reward you for playing that way. This game does reward people for playing "that way" which is why people are turned off by it. It's abnormal, and the goals being the killing, instead of killing to achieve some greater goal.

There are a few others that supported this game in this thread but noone with the unabashed lack of reservation that you did.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
84. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 19, 2014, 02:23 jdreyer

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 22:46:
I think they're buying into it because they've been groomed by major publishers over the past decade or so to believe that hype is truth.
I disagree. Hype only works on the naive. Being burned once or twice is enough to make you skeptical of hype.
In the wake of Star Citizen I picture EA and Activision boardrooms abuzz "How can we get people to spend money on games before they're even released??"
This I agree with wholeheartedly.
Step 1: Find an under-served genre.
Step 2: Hire beloved developer of said genre from back in the day.
Step 3: Set up said developer to develop game in said genre in a shell company that appears to be independent.
Step 4: Hype the crap out of the game with a crapton of nostalgia.
Step 5: Sell well-designed but over-priced virtual items of the game.
Step 6: PROFIT!

Concept 1: Hire Lawrence Holland to set up a new studio creating a modern version of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. RSI-style, each player will start out with a Z-95 and grind toward ships in an online or offline sandbox-style game with missions and a storyline. Want to start in something fancier? $200 for a Y-Wing. $300 for an X-Wing. $500 for a Tiderian shuttle. MFalcon? $1000! Watch the cash roll in.

Concept 2: Hire <insert name here> to set up a new studio creating a modern version of Interstate '76. RSI-style, each player will start out with an ABX Leprechaun and grind toward cars in an online or offline sandbox-style game with missions and a storyline. Want to start in something fancier? $200 for a '69 Cavera. $300 for an '68 Dover Lightning. $500 for a '69 Manta. School bus? $1000! Watch the cash roll in.

Concept 3: Mechwarrior: Hire the original Mechwarrior 2 to make a new Mechwarrior game! Sell Mechs for $100s each! Make a ton of...oh shit, wait. Piranha Games already fucked this up for everyone with MWO, didn't they. Goddammit.

News Comments > Fenix Rage Demo and Soundtrack Released
3. Re: Fenix Rage Demo and Soundtrack Released Oct 18, 2014, 23:54 jdreyer

Also, I named my youngest son Fenix and make him wear a do-rag all the time. I'm just that big a fan of God Gears of War.  

News Comments > Fenix Rage Demo and Soundtrack Released
2. Re: Fenix Rage Demo and Soundtrack Released Oct 18, 2014, 23:50 jdreyer

Any relation to Cypher and Kitai Rage?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2014, 14:19 jdreyer

I read a story yesterday that said inequality today is worse than any time since the era of the robber barons more than 100 years ago. Given that it's no great shock that ticket prices are geared toward the 1%.  

24. Re: Amazon... Oct 18, 2014, 14:09 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 01:14:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 19:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 18:15:
Hey Blue, I bought a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick from Amazon yesterday and would like to know if I did it properly to support the site. I have a few other purchases I need to make from Amazon as well and just want to make sure ya get the credit.

Thanks.

Hey is that the one I recommended for you for E:D last week?

Yeah, figured the price was decent and can give it a shot, only thing is I don't know if the stick twist's or not.
I am out right now so can't check but I am 95% certain the stick does twist. The throttle also has a rocker switch that controls yaw duplicating the stick twist.

News Comments > Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video
4. Re: Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video Oct 18, 2014, 03:19 jdreyer

Seriously wishing this game was on my hard drive tonight.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus Oct 18, 2014, 02:28 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 02:00:
Me and the ex liked to play a game called Fist of Jesus. I don't think it's related to this game though.

Hmm, I hope she washed her hands after you guys played that...

51. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 18, 2014, 02:25 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 00:39:

you've got 2 posts and just joined yesterday... are you one of the devs by any chance?

I think you nailed it. The only person here who unreservedly defends it, and just so happens to have joined yesterday.

Welcome to Blues Yakata! Just be upfront about who you are, and you'll get some reasoned discussion from us.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 17, 2014, 22:49 jdreyer

We were talking about The Wire the other day. Here's a story about the cast reunion that happened yesterday. Good read.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 17, 2014, 22:21 jdreyer

Oooooo, Stanley Parable for $5? I'm picking that up!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2014, 22:16 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 21:38:
Get a fucking warrant. How difficult is that?

C'mon Cutter, you know that warrants get in the way of implementing the Police State.

I'm surprised that Florida, AKA Land of the Krazy, made this call. Still, until they elect Charlie Crist over Rick Scott, I'll view this as an aberration instead of the first step in the journey toward redemption.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2014, 22:22.

9311 Comments. 466 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo