Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9373 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2014, 15:04 jdreyer

Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:24:
NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:13:
Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:25:
Bale should do a good Jobs. Both are/were egotistical megalomaniacs.

Plus Bale is a super dedicated actor. Guy doesn't fuck around when it comes to prepping for a role.

I just hope this movie isn't another love song to Jobs.

Have you seen The Social Network? I expect it will be like that. Same scriptwriter: Aaron Sorkin. He usually brings the bad with the good, and doesn't sugarcoat. He also writes scripts for The Newsroom, and is also a producer on the show, and there isn't a character on it that isn't an asshole.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 23, 2014, 14:55 jdreyer

ASeven wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:43:
From what I've been reading on forums, the game isn't that worth buying if you were expecting something much different from Civ 5. A shame, I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edition.

Huh, on the gaming podcast I listen to they said, "If you're expecting this to be like Civ 5, you'll be disappointed."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 14:51 jdreyer

I thought the first Avengers was great, especially if you watched all the "prequels." Great set pieces, great team interaction, great Whedon dialog. The biggest weakness is probably the villains who are underwhelming and not very threatening (Loki in the first Thor was much better). Guardians of the Galaxy had the same villain problem.

Good trailer, lots of scenes without giving away the story. I am worried about an all CG villain, although that last shot of him showed a lot of character and evilness.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 14:11 jdreyer

garrywong wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:57:
Is 14 years excessive? Not much harm was done in that case, but what if it had caused the helicopter to crash? The pilot, the sick kid, and any other passengers would have likely died. When you think about it that way, 14 years for an action that could have caused the death of people isn't any harsher than you'd get for an attempted murder, is it? Even more lenient, actually.

Well, I don't think his intention was to kill anyone. That's pretty different than attempted murder. Even with the guy's record, I think that sentence is excessive. Just like trying to charge Aaron Swartz with 50 years for copying some firewalled documents and putting them online.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 14:07 jdreyer

Yeah, that sentence is probably too lenient. He should probably be doing 6-12 months. That 14 year sentence up in Fresno is typical American stupidity, even with the guy's previous record. It's no wonder we have the largest prison population in the world.

I think to buy a laser you should have to have a license. There should be a test you have to pass.

News Comments > TOXIKK Movement Trailer
3. Re: TOXIKK Movement Trailer Oct 23, 2014, 13:21 jdreyer

This map looks the most UT-like yet. Looks cool, I like what they're doing with the movement.

I wonder if they'll have a speed setting. I like that about the UT games. Speed up or slow down gameplay.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 2 Announced
5. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 2 Announced Oct 23, 2014, 13:02 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:58:
Wonder why this would need a greenlight campaign, I thought the first was considered a wild success. Also worth noting, it is stuff like this that makes Indy cool. Totally fresh idea, the first I'm speaking of.

Maybe for publicity? Like the companies that kickstart even though they have enough money to fund their games.

News Comments > New Kinect SDK & Adapter
1. Re: New Kinect SDK & Adapter Oct 23, 2014, 01:58 jdreyer

Pachterism: They'll move a million units this holiday season.

News Comments > etc., etc.
39. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 01:44 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 18:00:

Fun fact: I've actually been to Al Jazeera's headquarters/studio in Doha.
And I agree, the US stations are horrible for actual news rather than muckraking and gossiping.

My point being, these guys are simply editorials and news coming from PR companies/departments. They're not Woodward and Bernstein and never will be. Comparing what video game journalists do to what Pulitzer prize winning newspaper journalists do seems unreasonable on many levels.

They exist to tell you when games come out and how they feel about those games. That's it. There's no room for them to do more.

Speaking of Woodward and Bernstein, I'm taking WaPo out of the NYT column and putting it in the CNN column, based on this article, which is just stenography of anonymous officials trying to exonerate the police officer that shot Michael Brown. It's not reporting. The LA Times does a better job: Justice Department condemns Ferguson leaks as effort to influence opinion. As for sensationalism compare the overwrought CNN headlines with the the more reasonable CBC regarding today's parliamentary shooting.

And there hasn't been a Woodward and Bernstein at any of the major news networks for decades. When there have been reporters that have broken major news stories like James Risen and Eric Lichtblau who broke the NSA eavesdropping program Stellar Wind, the Times acquiesced to the government request to publish it after the 2004 election. It was held for an entire year, which is unconscionable, but at least they broke the story. CNN, Fox, etc wouldn't even touch something like that. Fourth estate? More like fifth column.

It's no mistake that Snowden went to Greenwald and Poitras. He knew that all the major media orgs were shite. Nor is it surprising that Wikileaks rose to prominence. Leakers with important stories had no confidence that major media outlets would publish them.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off
12. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off Oct 23, 2014, 00:18 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 00:07:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 20:10:
drama aside it sure looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GY4cu2a5Y

that price though, ugh

even on a typical steam sale of 25% off that would be more than my wallet could handle for the "deluxe" edition.

Which by the way, is only 2 additional planes

So, 15 per plane? What's the exchange rate, like 3 to the dollar? That's not too bad.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2014, 00:04 jdreyer

Oh. My. GOD. That poor cat!

I'd blame the vodka, but these people sound stone cold sober.

News Comments > ArcheAge "Illicit Gains" Revoked
5. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 21:05 jdreyer

JeffD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 20:36:
Ahhh trion, good ole "penalize the innocent" tactics... tell me how that works out for you.

I'm sure buying and selling items for real money violates the UELA. So if you bought stuff for real money, you run the risk that entails.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off
8. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off Oct 22, 2014, 16:32 jdreyer

The engine looks really nice.

Given all the negativity in this thread, it's a wait and see though.

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
6. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 22, 2014, 16:22 jdreyer

The first step in EA acquiring Unity.

Also, how can Unity afford this guy? Maybe he's taking a massive pay cut because it's a passion project for him? Something doesn't add up here.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 14:02 jdreyer

Yeah, I'm still on DSL, even though cable is faster in my area. I just can't in good conscience go with cable. My Telco is doing a ton of fiber installs in the area though, so who knows for how much longer copper will be around. Still probably for another decade or so. Hopefully this gets rolled out before the switch.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2014, 13:58 jdreyer

When he did Age of Extinction a few weeks ago, Announcer Dude sounded really flat and off his game. Not that I blame him, since he had to do a Transformers movie. But he's back to form with this one. And I've got to hand it to the writers. They've been so consistently good with these. This one had me in tears, again.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2014, 13:41 jdreyer

Earners not even in quotation marks.

Your oligarchy at work, for you!

Oh, you have access to an internet capable device so you must not be poor.

37. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 13:26 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:18:
Lastly, can we stop pretending Kotaku discussing the perks in the next CoD is the same thing as CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, or the NYT having journalists embedded in Afghanistan or covering the riots in Ferguson? Stop equating this to actual journalists. Look instead at things like Fangoria or Teen Beat or Spin or Rolling Stone (well, the music coverage of Rolling Stone.) That's the proper analogy for the kinds of journalism we should expect. This isn't world news, this is telling you when video games will come out. You guys keep comparing McDonald's to The French Laundry. They're both "food," but things begin and end there.

Beam,
Are you saying that there's a difference between Kotaku and CNN, MSNBC, & Fox? Because I am not really sure there is much of one in content and presentation, just in scope and revenue and reach. Both are gossipy and vapid. Both hype a product: games and news. Hell, if anything Kotaku is less sensational than those networks. And people deride Politico as "Tiger Beat on the Potomac" for example equating it to those other publications you mentioned. I'll agree that the NYT or WaPo are a cut or two above the cable TV networks, but what's on TV is uniformly as shallow as any gaming site out there. For in-depth coverage and analysis of the nation's or world's problems, I suggest some of the sites I listed. For TV I suggest BBC or Al Jazeera, which are still shallow because TV, but aren't nearly as vapid (I'm sure you know this already).

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 22, 2014, 02:57 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 02:31:
Because its so attractive and natural for a prince to act like a helpless maid in distress? I dont get it. Do we really need to completely disregard traditional gender roles? I mean we did evolve genders and our respective behaviour regarding them for a reason after all.

There are hundreds of games out there where princes rescue princesses. Certainly we can tolerate one game that turns that on its head.

23. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 02:52 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:59:
If it were found that journos from USAToday, CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media outlest were colluding about which stories to run and which to ignore, as well as which journos to not hire, it would be a big scandal, worthy of lead stories for quite a while. It may or may not actually be going on but outing it would be HUGE. Colluding to deceive and colluding to blacklist people is not sitting down to drinks after work.

The big media outlets do collude, but not at the journalist level. That's small-time shit. They collude at the C-level. Then the bosses tell the journalists what's fair game and what's not, since all the major media outlets are owned by international conglomerates. If you want something not quite as controlled and contrived, try Democracy Now or The Intercept or The Guardian.

9373 Comments. 469 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo