Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 13149 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 31, 2015, 23:24 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 22:23:
2TB/month over cellular? T-Mobile should be ashamed and embarrassed for even allowing it to be technically possible for a customer to accomplish this. How does that even happen...

"Unlimited."

But yeah, they should be able to detect when people are exclusively running up 100 GB on their phone only, and 5 GB to their phone and 95 GB to their laptop using the phone's 4G signal.

Live long, and prosper.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2015, 20:32 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 19:48:
It is up to the state legislators to make a law change. That is it. Make the data PRIVATE, then people can't request access. Done and done.

Because that worked out so well for Ashley Madison and the IRS.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 31, 2015, 20:26 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 19:50:
T-Mobile promises to ďeliminateĒ customers who abuse unlimited data.

Sounds unlawful....

I think Legere said he wasn't even going to boot them, just throttle them after 7 GB. Apparently these people are tethering in violation of the TOS, and using 2 TB per day. Which is crazy over mobile.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
104. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 16:18 jdreyer

@ Theyarecoming, 88Fingers, BadIron

Iím generally on your side in these forums. Iím excited for the game and think theyíre making good progress with the architecture of the individual modules.

That being said, this social module is really depressing. Yes, is huge and beautiful, but obviously took 10s of 1000s of hours to build. Thereís just no way to apply that scope to 100 never mind 200 individual locations. There are two locations so far: ArcCorp and Nyx. There are two maps (IIRC) for Arena Commander. And the Star Marine module will also launch in a few weeks (hopefully) with two maps available. And Iím sure theyíll look fantastic. But again, two maps. Does anyone know how many maps total are supposed to be included in Star Marine?

If the goal is to ship at the end of 2016, I donít see how they have more than a dozen hubs and a dozen maps for Star Marine and a couple dozen space environments. I just donít see how they build all the content before then. For me, I think such a small scope will probably be okay. I got into SC for Sq 42, not the MMO. If it is part of the game, Iíll probably get in and tool around casually, and be happy with that scope (although with nearly a million backers, that sounds pretty crowded). But I donít see how they make good on their promise.

Live long, and prosper.

99. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 15:48 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:22:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 12:24:
dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:51:
Yes, pretty much. Which is why when last month in the Kotaku article CR said the game would be finished by end of 2016, we all just laughed and kept on scrolling.

Wow, this social hub, while quite beautiful and expansive, is incredible overkill for its function.

Derek, I'm curious as a designer how you might have approached this task, or how you think they should have approached this.

While I am hesitant to even answer this, though I know that the sensible denizens of this forum tend to do their best to drown out the haters, let me say this, knowing that I'm going to get attacked anyway:

(snip)

I find it hard to believe that they will survive 2016.

Thanks Derek. I agree with your assessment on engine, I was actually kind of shocked when they announced they'd be using Cryengine. No Man's Sky, LOD, and Elite:Dangerous all use custom engines for this very reason.

Although I never play MMOs, good luck with LOD. I hope it turns out well.

Live long, and prosper.

77. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 12:24 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:51:
Yes, pretty much. Which is why when last month in the Kotaku article CR said the game would be finished by end of 2016, we all just laughed and kept on scrolling.

Wow, this social hub, while quite beautiful and expansive, is incredible overkill for its function.

Derek, I'm curious as a designer how you might have approached this task, or how you think they should have approached this.

Live long, and prosper.

73. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:49 jdreyer

Dacron wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 08:07:
And blessed be the day that they get rid of these horrible animations of the characters. WTF are they even doing mocap for??? Everything looks shitty as fuck. No one runs like that, no one crouches like that and no one jumps like that. It's completely fucked up from A to Z. Those animations would be forgivable for a one man greenlight game on Steam but indie devs with more than three dudes working on the game would rightfully be embarrassed at that level of "quality".

Take it with a grain of salt, but due to Chris Roberts wanting the same animations for 1st/3rd person the players skeletons/animations were redone multiple times. And this is still what they ended up with...

No sources, but mentioned here

I'm not worried about the animations. Those will be improved, and honestly are low priority.

Live long, and prosper.

72. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:46 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 07:51:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 07:49:
Beautiful art. They are going to create 100s of hubs like this all with different looks?

They are required to do 100 since it was a stretch goal.

Later they said over the years it would go up to 800.

So far, we've seen two (ArcCorp, Nyx).

Yeah.

So, they have to create 100 levels, each as large and complex as your average Battlefield or CoD level? While those levels have to be play tested like crazy, so it's a different process, those games typically ship with 12-20 levels.

Live long, and prosper.

69. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:41 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 05:36:
There's videos that shows it off, it's relatively small with large vistas of buildings and ships flying in the background. Bar, medic hospital, jobs, spaceship showroom, gun store. It's just a hub with everything pretty close to each other.

There's a way to glitch a craft to fly around the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GX1HpYnhUw

of course it's completely overbuilt, looks like it was made by someone who never studied game design and optimization. everything not visible from the player character should be culled from the scene for example.

That was a cool vid. Also, another I watched with someone just walking around.

I think your overbuilt and optimization comments are on target. SC doesn't seem to respect player time. Worrying observations:

1. 2 minute planetary landing sequence with nothing to do shown last year. Skippable? Unknown.

2. The whole "find your helmet before you can access the menu" design that got squashed last year because it was so terrible.

3. This huge hub where players are forced to walk between locations for minutes. A fast travel system will be in the first patch after launch.

4. Multiplayer crew capturing the destroyer a few weeks ago. 10 minutes of pretty boring looking busy work. At least populate it with some defense autodrones that the players have to destroy before capturing the ship.

Just because something is "cool" or "realistic" doesn't mean it's fun.

Live long, and prosper.

66. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 jdreyer

Jackplug wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 06:19:
Plus I've just watched Avengers: Age of Ultron , tbh it didn't grab me at all, kinda boring in a way.

Yeah, I didn't think it was very good either. That being said, this year has been a fantastic movie year.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 jdreyer

Army searching for missile that fell from Apache helicopter in Upstate NY.

If I find that thing, no way I'm giving it back. I'm hanging it in the garage!

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2015, 11:19 jdreyer

I guess that Freddy finally caught up with Wes. RIP.  

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 jdreyer

God forbid people don't check Twitter or Instagram for a few hours while flying.  

Live long, and prosper.

47. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 01:34 jdreyer

ZeroPike1 wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 00:25:
Honestly it looks kinda cool, it would be a ton of fun for RP. But RP is not what this game is selling... or maybe it is. If this Hub world is a sign of where there going its going to be a Space Cowboy's love story. Except in an MMO setting with no AI or story plot beyond what you make yourself.

I'm starting to feel sad for this game, I've gone past cynical now.
I think RP is definitely what they're going for with the way the site is structured and running ship commercials and stuff.

Live long, and prosper.

16. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 16:05 jdreyer

Surprised no one has dragged out that old quote from the Breakfast club.

"So it's sorta social, demented and sad, but social."

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 15:57 jdreyer

I'm interested, since it doesn't require a monthly fee, but I'm still put off at the time commitment an MMO requires.

Also, currently nursing a Civ 5 addiction...

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2015, 15:51 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 13:57:
Good, all supporters of IS should be put behind bars for life.

While I think ISIS/ISIL is a horrific organization, I think people should be put behind bars if they commit an appropriate crime. This kid basically posted publicly available information. I wonder if this will hold up on appeal.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 30, 2015, 15:47 jdreyer

Netflix: $8/month
Apple TV: $40/month
Apple Tax: $32/month.

Live long, and prosper.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 30, 2015, 15:44 jdreyer

Money may not be able to buy happiness for everyone, but I would certainly feel happier if I had $2.5B than my current salary. I could definitely find things to do with the extra time I didn't have to spend working.  

Live long, and prosper.

11. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 15:39 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 15:18:
I will have the first virtual wedding there with a 12 year old boy from Vietnam that swore to me that he was a female super model.

Social module needs moar Space Burrito Shacks.

Live long, and prosper.

13149 Comments. 658 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo