Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 6603 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 20:26 jdreyer

I think the article said that NJ gave Verizon $15B in subsidies to build out high speed connections. For that amount, the state could have built its own fiber network.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 16, 2014, 20:13 jdreyer

ChildChildren can swipe a screen but can't use toy building blocks, teachers warn.

Yeah, the rule is no screens before 3, then 30m per day after that. Not good for the kids.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 18:59 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 18:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:16:
I read the first dozen comments of the SC $42M thread, and didn't bother commenting or reading further having just posted 20 or so comments trying to temper the negativity in the SC Trailers thread. I just thought, "Here it goes again. Hate springs eternal." I was pretty much spent. Need a week or so to recharge the ol' batteries before wading into that again.

What baffles me is why you guys keep trying to "temper the negativity." Why? Who cares what people think about it? If it was on the verge of not making its funding goal, I can see why you'd want to help it as much as possible, but it's obviously doing great funding-wise, so why worry about some imbeciles trashing it every chance they get?

Seriously, stop letting trolls / haters get to you that badly.

I can't help myself!!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 17:59 jdreyer

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:34:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:48:
Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:39:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:19:
Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:09:
1badmf wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:17:
you know what's a shitty turn of events?

Is it when people don't capitalize properly? Construct run on sentences? Or otherwise fail to make the attempt at utilizing basic grammar correctly? Yeah, that annoys me too.

Or when people focus the way an issue is presented instead of the addressing actual issue itself?

Grammar. The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Or when someone doesn't know the difference between grammar and spelling?

Well, everything he spelled he spelled correctly, so his comment stands.

Failure to capitalize is a spelling error, not a grammatical one. Both clauses are grammatically correct, but the spelling error (Uncle Jack vs. uncle jack) changes the meaning.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
28. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 17:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:49:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 15:32:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:00:
Alright. They need to remake that. For the PS4. With kick-ass graphics, exact same gameplay.

I'll buy that for $60. Shit, I'll Kickstart it for $100.

Don't give Square any ideas...

Why not? It's better than the shit they've been putting out lately...

I mean I rue the day when companies like EA and Square start putting their games up on KS.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 15:32 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:00:
Alright. They need to remake that. For the PS4. With kick-ass graphics, exact same gameplay.

I'll buy that for $60. Shit, I'll Kickstart it for $100.

Don't give Square any ideas...

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 15:31 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:37:
InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:26:
I completely disagree that music is NOT a vital component of the product. Ok this might be a subjective thing, but to name one example the first Diablo wouldnt have achieved cult status without the brilliant soundtrack...

That's fair, and as someone who's played music for 20 years I can relate. But what I mean by 'vital' is that the game can still function without that element. Diablo still works as a game without the music. The music absolutely adds to the experience, but it wouldn't actually break the game if it wasn't there.

In film, the composer usually comes in to do the soundtrack for a few months near the end of production. He doesn't work the entire length of the movie. That's why Hans Zimmer does 4-5 scores per year. I imagine it must be the same for game production. So, I wonder what other duties he had. Sound design?

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 15:26 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:03:
Sony getting out of bed with Square isn't surprising, Square is floundering and Sony needs to shore itself up.

I think Square is doing fine. I'm looking forward to playing Final Fantasy 27.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 15:25 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:56:
It's interesting that his wiki page states this:

O'Donnell is a self-described political conservative, and his coworkers at Bungie described him as the most right-leaning employee at the company.

To be called out on your political views at work is usually not a good thing unless you work in politics. After 15 years as a full time employee, to be terminated 'without cause' usually comes down to personality clashes.

He was let go by the board of directors, usually not populated by the most liberal employees at a company. I guess we'll see if this had anything to do with it.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
55. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 15:20 jdreyer

StaTik wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:55:
I imagine that there are a ton of Droid/PC Humblebundles that have bought the games for Driod and registered them on Steam just for the hell of it.

Totally true. I have about 5 Android Humble Bundles, all activated on Steam, but I only play them on my tablet.

54. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:53:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:03:
I always find it kind of interesting when people "play games for the story."
Outside of a small handful, almost every game story is pretty weak and poorly presented.

In your opinion. In my opinion, quite a few games do pretty interesting stories. Interesting enough, at least, to keep my attention the first time through. If the gameplay is decent to go with it, I'll have a good time.

This is why I don't really buy games anymore that have nothing but skirmishes (sins of a solar empire, for example.) They bore me to tears after one or two games.

When I'm out just for story, I read, which I probably do as much as game these days. Books, those have stories. Video games? They have ideas that sort of form into a bit of a story.

Books have stories, yes. That doesn't make them inherently better at them than games, because there are a LOT of really, really shity stories in books.

I think the best vid games strike a balance between gameplay and story. I'm having a blast in BL2 right now which has a good overarching story and interesting characters. It keeps me playing. I have no interest in playing the Telltale BL adventure, and I would have gotten bored ages ago if BL2 had no story. Skyrim and HL2 also balance play with story.

That being said, there are plenty of games though where I just want to get in and play, and the play itself becomes the narrative: a Supreme Commander skirmish, a round in BF2 AIX, or a game of CTF in UT.

50. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 14:55 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:43:
Not to worry - this years goal is to hit 39%!

Not 47%?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 14:48 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:39:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:19:

Is it when people don't capitalize properly? Construct run on sentences? Or otherwise fail to make the attempt at utilizing basic grammar correctly? Yeah, that annoys me too.

Or when people focus the way an issue is presented instead of the addressing actual issue itself?

Grammar. The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Or when someone doesn't know the difference between grammar and spelling?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 14:19 jdreyer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 14:16 jdreyer

you know what's a shitty turn of events? when fans of a certain game won't bother going into the comments for said game to have discussions with other fans because it's a foregone conclusion that the first, oh, 40 posts are going to be nothing but trolls and haters who know next to nothing about the game doing nothing but shitting on it. for seemingly no other reason than to prevent anyone from liking it just because they don't. and it amazes me how much energy these guys have; every. fucking. post, the warm, foul smelling drivel from these guys is relentless. trolling i get; they get tired/bored quickly and move on. but for these clowns it's an endless campaign of hate that serves no purpose other than to belie how ridiculously invested they are in the failure of a game. a motherfucking game! i don't get it! rant over!

I read the first dozen comments of the SC $42M thread, and didn't bother commenting or reading further having just posted 20 or so comments trying to temper the negativity in the SC Trailers thread. I just thought, "Here it goes again. Hate springs eternal." I was pretty much spent. Need a week or so to recharge the ol' batteries before wading into that again.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
189. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 14:10 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:07:
It's been a while since we had a 200+ post thread. Can't you guys keep arguing a bit more?

I heard Chris Roberts is a gay-bashing Tea Partier who belongs to the Westboro Baptist Church!

Made ME laugh! Laugh2

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 12:41 jdreyer

I wonder if the person who made the mistake would still have a job if it was a goatse style image.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 12:39 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:37:
Only if you have a *ahem* "portfolio"...

I've been trying to get this stupid model plane to fit up my ass all morning...

1. Try a smaller plane

2. Use some wheel grease.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2014, 06:00 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 23:05:
Than either relocate it somewhere far away or put it down. Better than being stuck in a pen for life.

I see Cutter in court after being convicted for first degree murder for throttling Rollinthundr, demanding the judge give him the death penalty instead of life in prison because it's "better than being stuck in a pen for life."

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Apr 16, 2014, 05:56 jdreyer

Watch Dogs Preview Event Attendees Given a Free Nexus 7

W.T.F.

That's pretty insane. So basically knock two points off any Watch Dogs review.

6603 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo