Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 8139 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2014, 04:47 jdreyer

ShakaUVM wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 02:31:
>at this point we're all level four,

Blue, that's your problem. Payday 2 has a really weird design, where even though quiet and loud both look like viable options, they are not. All the stuff you need to stealth a mission has to be unlocked, and some of the things are very deep unlocks (like being able to lockpick a safe, or quiet drilling or using ECMs to disable pagers), requiring you to invest a lot of time in the game playing a first person shooter before you can turn it into a stealth game.

By contrast, most games with these two options (say, Dishonored or Deus Ex) allow both options to work from the start.

Some of the stealth missions are ridiculously difficult. Like stupidly, ridiculously difficult. Others (like the normal bank missions) are actually fairly reasonable to do, once you learn the basics.

Essentially, you need to kill the guards with silencers, bag up their bodies (which requires an easy unlock), kill the tellers (since they will alert the police), and then have everyone rush in and order all the customers to the ground. Zip tie everyone (another easy unlock), and if you can get to everyone before a customer can sneak a phone call to the police. Any loud gunshots will alert the police, so you need to unlock silencers on at least one person, and hopefully everyone. Fast drilling (a medium unlock) and fast bag packing and movement will help you break through the safe door and load up your stuff quickly. A drillsaw (a deep unlock) will help you get the security boxes open quickly.

I haven't played this yet, but is there a way to be successful WITHOUT killing anyone, kind of like real life where bank robbers never kill anyone? You know, like The Town.

(BTW, the scene where they pull up in their masks, and there's a cop on the other side of the street that sees them: that actually happened. Affleck wrote that scene after talking to a convict to whom that actually happened. Not all cops are Dirty Harry. Some just want to eat doughnuts and write speeding tickets.)

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 23, 2014, 00:20 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:41:
I have to say that Minecraft mech is rather silly.

JDreyer daughter currently playing MC Galacticraft mod, and I love that she had to go look all this stuff up on a wiki to build a rocket to fly to the moon. Both entertaining and mentally stimulating.

I hate to break it to you, man, but your daughter is totally behind the curve. By her age she should have slaughtered at least 40,000 human virtual beings, not flying to the moon! She'll never be a psychopath at this rate!

I know, I know. I'm a bad parent for not preparing her for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Zombie Rifle

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
29. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 18:47 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 17:15:
We'll have a statement ready soon on FB explaining what's going on. We cannot post direct updates on Kickstarter or notify backers directly.

Awwwwwww, did someone get locked out??????

Can't wait to see what they post on Facebook:

"Competing developers Vostok Games employees using hundreds of sockpuppet accounts in Kickstarter have falsly reported us as being fraudulent. They also spammed our Kickstarter comment section and blamed us for it."

Or something along those lines.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 22, 2014, 18:41 jdreyer

I have to say that Minecraft mech is rather silly.

JDreyer daughter currently playing MC Galacticraft mod, and I love that she had to go look all this stuff up on a wiki to build a rocket to fly to the moon. Both entertaining and mentally stimulating.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 22, 2014, 18:32 jdreyer

Riot Cracking Down on Unruly 'League of Legends' Players.

Again, why wasn't this done 3-4 years ago?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2014, 17:06 jdreyer

descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:09:
I get the joke, but if they actually start selling a product , they won't have to cover it in ads to make money...

Yeah, I don't think this would be adopted by game developers if FB were allowed to overlay ads on your game. PDQ some other company would sell an ad-free version.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2014, 17:05 jdreyer

mag wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:04:
descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 12:44:
A VR company with real funding? I don't know why anyone is complaining about that.

We notice that you spent a lot of time of time staring at that singles ad, and that you are listed as married! Can we suggest a marriage counselor?

Heh. That was set up nicely.

24. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 17:02 jdreyer

I expect this to show up on Indiegogo next, so that they'll be able to keep any people they dupe.  

23. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 17:00 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 16:35:
https://twitter.com/ArealWestGames/status/491658620678197248

That page doesn't exist. Was that the point?

22. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 16:58 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 15:05:
I don't know why people throw money after these penny-ante games for which the "developers" claim they can produce for a mere $50k. (Figured out on the back of a napkin at lunch no doubt.) I'd very skeptical of anyone claiming they can do a game for $50G--the people who think these things up believe that asking for a low amount is better sucker bait as more people will be willing to give smaller amounts, etc. Offers to make complex games on next to nothing like this should be viewed with FUD, in my opinion.

I don't think that very many did. It seems like they put up most of the money themselves in order to fleece a the few optimistic people that really, really want another STALKER. Also, yeah, to do justice to something like this you need $5M not 50K.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

4 Cobra snakes protecting a sleeping baby.

Time to call social services?

News Comments > Gearbox on Battleborn & Borderlands 3
7. Re: Gearbox on Battleborn & Borderlands 3 Jul 22, 2014, 15:35 jdreyer

@ Beam, I was going to post the same.

As for Battleborn, I am withholding judgement until I see actual gameplay.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:19 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:24:
Tim1_2 wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 10:10:
I played PAYDAY 2 once, by myself, on a free via Steam weekend. It was some mission where I had to go in to a mall and smash stuff. Then cops started showing up in endless waves, leading to a ridiculous, never-ending firefight. I think the problem was I just didn’t really know how to accomplish my goal, and also the AI team mates weren’t overly competent. So it was a mediocre play session, and I gave up on it.

That's the problem I have with this game. The endless spawning on Police. After you have completed a mission, you feel like you just wiped out the full police force for the city.

Would you prefer the police to be fewer but more lethal? Also, when there's a major bank robbery in real life, you actually do get the whole city police force responding.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 22, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:12:
"To anybody who got MC5 already, shame on you! We are making games for you and all you can do is pirate them?"

"Anybody which is talking to me and shows in some way that he already has MC5 will get an instant ban. Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things."

...why are they so surprised?

Recently, Quentin Tarantino shared a new script with six (6) actors he knows. It got leaked to the internet. He was so mad, he decided not to make the movie.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 15:14 jdreyer

Do Zombies count as people? My L4D and L4D2 kills are 10K each.  

News Comments > $80 Offworld Trading Company Prototype Released
7. Re: And it keeps going Jul 22, 2014, 15:10 jdreyer

ELITE wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 12:40:
Yep...
Subscriptions & Early Access.

Software is turning into highway robbery - but worse many of us are willing to get robbed by choice...

The high price keeps the number of early adopters, and thus the amount of feedback down, while still providing feedback. What you're paying for is not only the chance to play before everyone else, but also the chance to have some influence on the design of the game. Like Beam said, no one is holding a gun to your head. If I were young and single, I'd do this, as I often registered for game betas back in the days before early access. These days, time is limited though, so I only buy finished games, and usually months after release so that I play the most stable, up to date version.

17. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 15:04 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:24:
nin wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:04:
Fuck those russian spammers! Who's laughing now?!

What a douchenozzle.

What the hell am I looking at? A fake profile created by the devs to try to call out complainers in the least legible way?

That's precisely it. He (I assume) kept spamming the comments section with that wall-o-text so no one could have a legit conversation.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
30. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 14:33 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 09:59:
“I’m a member of the Imperial PC Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.”

“You are part of the Open Gaming Alliance and a traitor. Take her away!”

That cracked me up. Coworkers giving me the evil eye.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:31 jdreyer

And as for Elite, looking forward to it, but gonna wait until it's complete.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:31 jdreyer

Harrowing wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:58:
commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:05:

I'm not too worried about Star Citizen (at least at this phase) they have had some communication problems but the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha.

Where have you been? They overdid it on the physics and it lags everyone in multiplayer. They've been trying to fix it for weeks and still haven't been able to.
The technology behind the game can't carry it where they want them to go. Just wait and see at the other countless problems they're going to have with CryEngine.

So it gets delayed? So what? I don't really see what the problem here is.

8139 Comments. 407 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo