Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 9416 (Guru)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
45. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 02:44 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 18:29:
wank wank wank

Yeah, but it Feels. So. Good.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
8. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 15:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 12:53:
How can an inanimate object be hostile to anyone? Just like a gun, it's merely a tool that's entirely about intent.

That's what I tell people about my guillotine.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2014, 13:53 jdreyer

'One of the largest cosmic catastrophes in the solar system's history' occurred in SWEDEN.

I didn't click the link, but I assumed they were talking about the Swedish Bikini Team. All those heavenly bodies!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2014, 03:31 jdreyer

mag wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 23:21:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 20:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:21:
It's so weird to me how partisan ebola is.
Moderates and liberals: "it isn't a big deal and is unlikely to become one."
Conservatives: "oh my god Gwenyth Paltrow and that Outbreak monkey are going to kill us all, close the borders, it's too late we're all dead!"

I've never seen fear over a disease so clear cut across party lines like this and it baffles me.

I think it's the differences between the liberal mind and the conservative mind. Here are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies. Some choice headlines:

1. Conservatives spend more time looking at unpleasant images, and liberals spend more time looking at pleasant images.

2. Reliance on quick, efficient, and "low effort" thought processes yields conservative ideologies, while effortful and deliberate reasoning yields liberal ideologies.

4. Liberals have more tolerance to uncertainty (bigger anterior cingulate cortex), and conservatives have more sensitivity to fear (bigger right amygdala).

7. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to interpret faces as threatening and expressing dominant emotions, while Democrats show greater emotional distress and lower life satisfaction.

10. Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

Better be careful. You're going to get doxxed and SWATted and death-threatened and whatnot. Then Intel's going to pull their ads from your website.

I thought 7 was interesting.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 03:30 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 23:57:
FPS portion could end up being the best thing about the game.

Crysitizen?

News Comments > etc., etc.
112. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 23:02 jdreyer

@sdgundamx
I hear you on the historical thing. I guess I was just annoyed that her first vid focused pretty much exclusively on that.

You could be right about tLoU referring to some of her earlier work. That would make more sense. Her KS was in 2012, I think, so that alone is early enough to have influence.

Yeah, Japan is still pretty misogynistic vs. the USA. Sark's Women as Set Dressing does have a lot of US games in it though. And there are some good points in that vid. However, a lot of her points in there either people going out of their way to play the game unconventionally, or things that apply equally to both male and female characters. It's this kind of misrepresentation that annoys me.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 21:34 jdreyer

Weird. Why is the name redacted on the AMA?  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 20:29 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:21:
It's so weird to me how partisan ebola is.
Moderates and liberals: "it isn't a big deal and is unlikely to become one."
Conservatives: "oh my god Gwenyth Paltrow and that Outbreak monkey are going to kill us all, close the borders, it's too late we're all dead!"

I've never seen fear over a disease so clear cut across party lines like this and it baffles me.

I think it's the differences between the liberal mind and the conservative mind. Here are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies. Some choice headlines:

1. Conservatives spend more time looking at unpleasant images, and liberals spend more time looking at pleasant images.

2. Reliance on quick, efficient, and "low effort" thought processes yields conservative ideologies, while effortful and deliberate reasoning yields liberal ideologies.

4. Liberals have more tolerance to uncertainty (bigger anterior cingulate cortex), and conservatives have more sensitivity to fear (bigger right amygdala).

7. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to interpret faces as threatening and expressing dominant emotions, while Democrats show greater emotional distress and lower life satisfaction.

10. Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 20:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:52:

Ebola is spreading in Africa and other people around the globe are contracting it. Bacteria and viruses are getting stronger while antibiotics are getting weaker. Antibiotic resistance is a major global problem that's only getting worse.

Crime reporting is down - and estimated 40% of all crime is never reported to begin with.

10 US Cities Where Violent Crime is Soaring.

And if crime is so low, how do you explain the booming prison population? Crime has fallen if anything because we live in a virtual police state now where you're always under surveillance. Makes it much more difficult to commit crime. So that's the tradeoff, safer society but at what price? The US is in a state of perpetual war now. There's always and enemy somewhere that must be fought. Oceania now exists.

So yeah, things are getting crazier out there. The sky may not be falling, but you really need to take off your rose coloured glasses and do a reality check because all those things you listed just futher exacerbate the problem and drive people to do crazy shit.

And now another school shooting today. Oh yeah, things are just peachy out there.

Okay, Cutter, you need a vacation man. To Washington. I recommend Purple Urkel or Strawberry Cough. And stay off the internet man. Except for Blues.

More seriously, what you're doing is taking one-offs (shootings in the news and a single disease outbreak) and extrapolating into trends. However, the trends back up my statements.

1. People are contracting Ebola in Africa because they have shit for healthcare there, and custom dictates you kiss dead corpses. Note that it has yet to spread from one American to another within this country. And all Americans infected are recovering. The infectious disease mortality trend in the USA for the past several decades has been a steady downward slope.

2. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria and viruses is a big worry, but has yet to have a big impact. An issue that needs to be addressed for sure. I would add that to my list.

3. 40% of crimes have never been reported. This is nothing new.

4. Crime rates ebb and flow in various regions. However, the overall trend over the past several decades has been down.

5. The surveillance state is a problem, but it's a fairly recent one, and crime started falling well before that. Also, that problem is more of a potential one, like nuclear weapons. It has the potential to do great harm, but has yet to be deployed in a way that affects everyone. Yes, there have been a bunch of parallel construction cases that used NSA data, but it's a very small percentage of crime convictions.

6. The prison population is a problem. One reason it's booming is the War on Drugs. Lots of non-violent offenders doing time that shouldn't be. They should have alternative sentences. There are also theories that crime has dropped because we've been so efficient at locking up the criminals.

7. The US has been in perpetual war since 1941. This is nothing new.

The news is tricking you. These aren't real problems. The real problems (the ones I listed) don't get reported by the media. They're complex. They might not have a short concise byline. They don't make for lots of clicks. They don't conform to dramatic headlines. So they're ignored or downplayed. But these are the issues that will define the next 50 years. These are the issues that have the potential to kill us, directly or indirectly.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 24, 2014, 19:25 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 18:49:
Another reason to wait and see on DA3.
Because it's missing actual fellatio?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 19:20 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:22:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 16:18:
UHD wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:49:
- System Shock (Need license? Spiritual successor okay?)

Bioshock was billed as a spiritual successor; what are you looking for exactly?

Outer space. Technology.

Shodan or GTFO insect!

This, basically. I have to say that when I watch Alien Isolation gameplay, I imagine that's what System Shock 3 would look like.

103. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 17:35 jdreyer

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 08:53:
And you're perfectly entitled to that opinion. But there are quite a few people still who refuse to acknowledge there is any problem at all.

Now personally, I don't agree with your assessment of Sarkeesian. She's looking for trends in how women are portrayed in games, so I don't see a need for her to arbitrarily limit looking at recent games only. As this is a critique, she's also under no obligation to make a case for both sides of the argument--that's not how literary criticism works in any other media (books, film, etc.) so I don't know why people assume the rules should be different for games. When doing literary criticism you review the content, look for patterns, and make an interpretation based on those patterns. Other people can find other interpretations--that's part of the fun in doing it.

I do think the problem that Sarkeesian brings up is a bit bigger in recent games than you're making it out to be. Case in point: Bayonetta 2, a game that builds into the gameplay pervy close-ups of the nearly naked female protagonist as a reward mechanic. This game mechanic is pretty clearly targeted at a very specific demographic and begs the question of why it was necessary at all--the idea of a female using her sexuality to subvert a patriarchal order is good enough without it (although I think that could probably still have been accomplished without requiring the character to lose her "clothes" the more she fights).

This is not to say all games are pervy or nor is it to say that anyone who plays Bayonetta 2 is a perv. It is, however, appropriate to say that there are games like Bayonetta that contain problematic elements and that these games are not isolated examples, nor did they just magically spring into existence but are actually carrying on a long-standing tradition of portraying women in ways that are, to put it mildly, less than flattering.

So in my opinion, we're not quite at the "stitches" stage yet, as you put it. But that is only my opinion and you are free to disagree with it.
As I posted a few weeks ago:

While I appreciate what she's trying to do, she does it in a way that seems less likely to affect any change in the industry. Take her Damsel in Distress video. Here's a list of games she covers:

- Starfox 64 (1997)
- A bunch of ancient historical examples from paintings and stories
- Donkey Kong (1981)
- Sheriff (1979)
- Mario (1981, although Mario is rescuing Peach as recently as 2012)
- A bunch of examples from the '80s and '90s
- Zelda (1986, but damsel trope seen as recently as 2011)
- More random examples from '80s and '90s
- Dragon's Lair (1983)
- Double Dragon (1987) (These last 2 are still available today)

The criticisms here are pretty obvious.

1. Most of these games are either from another era, or had their design set in another era if they are a modern version. It's possible to change the central motivation of the main character, but players have expectations about the game. Honestly, this message won't reach one of its main target audiences, as most of these game designers have probably either retired or moved on to something else.

2. Most of these games are from Japanese game designers who won't ever hear Anita's videos.

I would point out that, as you said, things are getting better. And they are getting better because of people like Sarkeesian. The Creative Director for The Last of Us has publicly stated that her work had a major influence on both the characters and story of that game and it clearly shows--the game portrays a range of genders and sexualities in a totally believable and quite human way and doesn't sacrifice any gameplay in order to do so.

I wonder how true that Last of Us story is. Anita's first video was published in Feb of 2013, while tLoU was published in June of that year. Four months is a very short time to rewrite, reanimate, and rerecord voice acting in time for release.

As for Bayonetta, I would love if she used games like that or Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 or Bikini Samurai Squad or Lollipop Chainsaw as examples. Those games are both made recently and undeniably objectifying. Hmm, there's a pattern with all of these games. If I could only see it...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 16:26 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:16:
Wow, a soldier and reservist murdered in Canada this week and now some lunatic attacked cops with a hatchet in NYC today. Ebola looks to be spreading. Sigh. Things seems to be getting pretty crazy out there atm. Stay safe people.

Seriously? You're talking 2 people out of almost 400 million. And Ebola is not "spreading" in North America. It's arriving here from out of country and being dealt with. What the hell? Crime is as low as it has ever been. Disease is as controlled as it has ever been. Just because the media is hyping shit for clicks doesn't mean things are getting crazy. When did you start to buy into that bullshit?

There are serious problems out there. Global warming is already killing thousands and will result in the deaths of millions perhaps 100s of millions of people through drought, extreme weather, famine, flooding, war, etc. And there are many more: government corruption, corporate corruption, income inequality, poverty, healthcare failures, nuclear weapons, etc. etc. Don't be like the pilot who puts his attention on why the light on switch 17 is broken while his plane augers in.

8. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 16:18 jdreyer

UHD wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:49:

Bioshock was billed as a spiritual successor; what are you looking for exactly?

Outer space. Technology.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2014, 13:59 jdreyer

I keep seeing these Beyond Earth performance tests. We usually don't see perf tests for turn based games. Why are people bothering? Just because it's new?  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 24, 2014, 13:57 jdreyer

Gynophobia ... freaky.  

5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 13:49 jdreyer

When I saw this KS a week ago, I thought "Looks interesting, might pick that up someday." For me to KS something it has to be "OMG, I want this NOW." Mostly that feeling is going to come for games I played back in the day, but don't have modern versions:

- X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter (Tough, b/c Star Wars license is required. Can't do spiritual successors like you can with the others, I feel)
- Mechwarrior (Spiritual successor fine)
- Interstate '76 (Spiritual successor fine)
- Half Life 3 (Need license)
- Full Throttle

Fortunately, a lot games I loved back in the day are being remade or already were:
- XCom
- Fallout
- Baldurs Gate / Planescape
- Monkey Island
- Diablo (they finally got it right with the latest patch)
- Civ
- Total Annihilation (Love SupCom, but could probably use another remake)
- Carmageddon

4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 13:32 jdreyer

Here's how to be successful on Kickstarter:

Step 1: Find an under-served genre or beloved game that has not been re-made recently.
Step 2: Design game to be spiritual successor for old game or genre.
Step 3: Make sure beloved developer(s) of said genre or game from back in the day is on the team.
Step 4: Pitch video has to walk the line of showing you competent enough to make the game, but not so slick to invoke the question "If you have that much money, what do you need us for?"
Step 4: Hype the crap out of the KS with a crapton of nostalgia.
Step 5: Sell well-designed but over-priced physical items of the game for higher tiers.
Step 5: FUNDED!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 13:18 jdreyer

I just noticed that Jon Shafer popped in and dropped a comment on the At the Gates thread the other day.  

72. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 07:03 jdreyer

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 04:21:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 03:24:

Well, misogyny in gaming is actually a thing. It just happens to be a thing that isn't as bad as Anita claims, and actually happens to be improving. Just like misogyny in other facets of society.

See, if it had stayed at this level of reasonable discussion things wouldn't have gone as sideways as they did.

To me, regardless of whether it is "as bad as" anyone claims isn't the point. If it exists, shouldn't it be criticized? Shouldn't we be talking about ways to reduce it, even if it can't be eliminated completely? Doesn't it open up other interesting critiques about games like how masculinity (or a lack of it) are portrayed in games--and how that portrayal changes depending on whether the game is made in Japan or the US?

I didn't (and still don't) see Anita Sarkeesian's critique taking anything away from games. In fact, if anything, critiquing games from a variety of perspectives helps legitimize games as art. Yet the response to this landmark event in our hobby has been... well, let's just say it's allowed a very vocal minority of gamers to paint us in a less than flattering light.

I don't deny Anita's right to do it, or even the importance of doing it. My disagreement is with how she does it. She misrepresents. She dwells in the past (yes, shit was bad 30 years ago). She doesn't bother to show how things have gotten better. She preaches to a very specific choir instead of trying to reach across the aisle. Her presentation doesn't encourage reflection or evaluation, it encourages defensiveness and circling the wagons. Does it strive to reach the top of the mountain? Yes, but it takes absolutely the most difficult path up, when there are many easier, more conciliatory paths.

And I think "as bad as" is the point. Are we a patient who had an arm ripped off, requires stitches, or just requires a bandaid? If we're at case 1, arm gone and one step from death, like we were 50 years ago with feminism, then in-your-face bra-burning and massive protests were the only way to get movement. Today however, lots of progress has been made. We're at the stitches stage. There's no need to apply the tourniquet if all you need are stitches. There's little risk of bleeding out. So a more reasoned approach is required. But for Anita the ends seem to justify the means. And people justifiably call "Foul!" Some take it too far, and that's not right. But her methods leave much to be desired.

9416 Comments. 471 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo