Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mastaba

Real Name Mastaba   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I don't know.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 17, 1999, 23:06
Total Comments 96 (Suspect)
User ID 22

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Drake Demo
26. Re: The Drake Feb 6, 2004, 16:49 Mastaba

Hate the Drake!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NASCAR Thunder 2004 Demo
11. Re: EA NASCAR Nov 4, 2003, 21:57 Mastaba

It's still much more like a simulation in that you can tweak tire pressures, wheel camber, rear spoiler angle, spring stiffness, shocks and so on. Stuff you don't do at all in NFS.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 21:58.

News Comments > NASCAR Thunder 2004 Demo
8. Re: Nascar Nov 4, 2003, 19:32 Mastaba

If you compare a NASCAR game with NFS, then you are really comparing apples and oranges. One is much more a simulation, and the other is more of an arcade type game. If you don't like simulations, then don't play it.

P.S. Who else thinks the reason Jeff Gordon did such a puny burnout a couple weeks ago was because he was illegally using traction control?

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 19:36.

News Comments > On Half-Life 2 Graphics
12. Re: Whatever, dammit! Jul 23, 2003, 00:12 Mastaba

I think they are confusing FSAA with texture AF.

News Comments > Carmack on Drivers
30. Re: FP24 vs FP32 May 27, 2003, 23:45 Mastaba

No, for DX9 compliancy the internal calculation has to be done at FP24
This is clearly contradictory to the very blurb you posted the link to. It says the minimum for compliancy is 24 bit. It doesn't say anything about what is used for the simple fact that DirectX doesn't use anything. It doesn't do the calculations, the video hardware / driver does. That one "32 bit assumption" statement says nothing about internal precision. When you look at the full context of that statement, he is clearly referring to the value precision and not internal precision. ARB_fragment_program assumes 32 bit floats, just as "floats" in HLSL are 32 bit. The fact that ATI's driver has to change 32 bit floats to 24 bit floats is what Carmack is trying to get across. NVIDIA's driver can leave them as is, or change them to 16 or 12 bit for optimization purposes. And by 32 bit float buffer formats, I assume you really mean 128 bit floating point back buffer formats. And even then you are incorrect. Least ye forget about the reference device.

24. Re: FP24 vs FP32 May 27, 2003, 21:41 Mastaba

Easier than that, here's a link to a post from Microsoft on the DX Dev mailing list detailing detailing the spec

This isn't exactly what I'd call the SDK. But nevertheless, this is only talking about internal precision. Not the high level precision. What JC was talking about was if you used a float in HLSL or a 32 bit floating point buffer format, DirectX would simply assume it was 32 bits internal precision. What precision the video drivers actually use may be less than that. As low as 24 bit for registers and texture iterators, and 16 bit for constants. Those are details that DirectX isn't privy to.

This comment was edited on May 27, 21:42.

21. Re: FP24 vs FP32 May 27, 2003, 21:14 Mastaba

On that score, he is incorrect. FP24 is the minimum precision required by DX9 - read the SDK, its in there. Carmack probably doesn't appreciate this since he doesn't code using DX.
Could you point that out? Because, I just looked in the SDK and I can find absolutely no mention of 24 bit floating point formats anywhere. The only formats listed in the DX9 SDK are 16, 32, 64, and 128 bit floating point buffer formats. And 16, 32, and 64 bit floating point value types in HLSL.

This comment was edited on May 27, 21:19.

News Comments > Tech Bits
9. Futuremark Response Feb 16, 2003, 12:25 Mastaba

Well, they still didn't explain why they used a most inefficient stencil shadow algorithm for test 2 & 3, and the cooresponding parts of the demo. A method that no game developer in his right mind would use. So how using a bad algorithm is supposed to reflect how future games will perform is bit of a stretch for me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Go Packers! Dec 29, 2002, 14:14 Mastaba

Saints will win it all ... within 2 years. :p

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 14:15.

1. Conversely... Dec 28, 2002, 13:44 Mastaba

There were several points during the season I thought the Saints were a shoe-in for the play-offs. But now, looks like they'll be lucky if the Giants and Falcons lose. Well, there is always next season for the Saints since they get an extra first round draft pick thanks to Ricky Williams breaking 1500.

27. Re: I'm gettin' ya... Sep 28, 2002, 19:53 Mastaba

I'm gettin ya. But I googled up the ip.

News Comments > Blizzard Countdown
7. No subject Sep 19, 2002, 13:27 Mastaba

If the picture behind the countdown is any clue, it appears to be something with swords. After cranking up the gamma of the background image, it looks like a man (or biped to more exact) crouching and holding a sword.

News Comments > Tech Bits
10. CD Copy Stopper Aug 25, 2002, 18:01 Mastaba

I really believe it should be illegal for any company to sell products in the US with features designed to block my right to fair use.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 18:02.

News Comments > DOOM III, EF2 Screenshots
36. Re: Guy in Back Aug 15, 2002, 17:32 Mastaba

I believe the "hair" you are seing is simply the base of the tail, and the "boot" you see is simply one of its mechanical hind legs.

News Comments > Graeme Devine & Tim Willits Interview
12. Re: hmmm 5X May 28, 2002, 14:36 Mastaba

5X more work, does not imply 5X more manhours. He was referring only to the process of making textures. Most of which is semi-automated. You feed the texture model from one program and to another and so forth. These other programs generate the final textures. Secondly, because of the extra work involved, I expect to see significant reuse of fabricated artwork. Using varying base textures to help mask the repeating geometry.
I'm willing to bet that DOOM III's gameplay will end up being nearly as long as, if not longer than DOOM's due to the much slower average pace of the game.

News Comments > Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project Gold
7. Re: A Duke Game! May 8, 2002, 21:13 Mastaba

Geez, comments like that first one get me riled up. What in the world gives a person the belief that its ok to STEAL software? There is no lame excuse you can give to validate that position. The moment you pirate software, you become a criminal (if you aren't one to begin with). And it is precisely this kind of behavior that causes companies to go to extremes in protecting their product. And that hurts me as a consumer. You, the pirate, are raising the cost of software for law abiding citizens. And you, the pirate, are eroding our privacy rights. How? You think .Net is just a flash in the pan? No, its just the beginning. The Windows OS is going to evolve into a OS that is network booted, and all games are going to become temporary on demand downloads, that only run on PC's with no secondary storage medium. A third party is going to be charged with storing your stuff, and each and every file will have a license that is validated by the third party. Making it next to impossible to warez software, but at the expense of taking control away from the user.

11. Re: DooM III May 7, 2002, 11:54 Mastaba

http://www.ua-corp.com/

15. Re: Bubble Shooter... Apr 19, 2002, 19:00 Mastaba

Never heard of Snood, but it does remind me very much of Bubble Bobble.

4. Its ok... Apr 18, 2002, 09:49 Mastaba

The holes in the grid on the microwave oven window, are actually smaller than the microwaves, which is why you can safely look through them to see inside. However, if something has happened to disconnect that grid either completely or substantially from ground, then some of the microwaves could pass straight through the door. As you see, that grid is part of a Faraday cage, and those only work if they are grounded.

1. FoxTrot Apr 17, 2002, 09:28 Mastaba

As is usual with FoxTrot, I don't get the punch line.

96 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo