Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David

Real Name David   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jaxx
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.ahazi.org
Signed On Sep 20, 2004, 01:45
Total Comments 11 (Suspect)
User ID 21865

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
47. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:31 Jaxx

feral.fury wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:26:
and thus he can use the name.

1) It's not a real entity (fictional). It's like using the word Magic in a book your writing.
2) It's not a platform for software digital distribution.
3) It's full name is "Origin Jumpworks" not "Origin Systems".

Keep trying to find that conspiracy of yours...

WTF are you talking about? WHAT conspiracy am I trying to find?

Go home, you're drunk.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:30 Jaxx

Oh, and the reason sandbox games cost so much money is because they are HUGE companies.
  • They have a lot of waste.

• Those 100's of millions include the salaries for everyone, from the bottom, to the top that is involved.

• HUGE Marketing campaigns

• They're developing for PC, PS3, PS4, 360, XBone, Wii

• Now you look at Cloud Imperium, it's an independent studio, so ar the one's they're working with. He has ABSOLUTE creative control over the game, he does not have to answer to the bean counters or suits that have no idea but think it would be cool to do *insert here*. This allows him to do a lot with a lot less.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 06:44.

44. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:13 Jaxx

feral.fury wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:10:
    LOL what idiots! Origin = Origin Jumpworks. A fictional company in their game.

Since the trademark is still owned by EA, he would NOT be able to use that name without buying it or paying A LOT of money to EA since they are some of the greediest bastards.

43. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:10 Jaxx

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 03:45:
    Any good company, that's well and truly above board never has any problem spelling out how they're doing it, where the money is coming from, and what the specifics are.
    He did not even start the programming of the game, hiring people, etc until he had the funding. He would of had a lot of unhappy people if he had hired people, started programming, and then had to shut down if the funding failed.

They have stated what the plan for the game is. It's been talked about in the forums, in their video's they release, and in interviews. You look at the anniversary sale they had going this weekend, there was A LOT of people that bought up newer ships. And the continuance of the funding, many other kickstarter games are doing it. Shroud of the Avatar for example. And there are many more.

As for the MP, I can recall easily a dozen companies that were very hush-hush about their MP details, they have to be to protect their ideas.

And what the heck do you mean by legal and binding sense? Does Activision make a contract with you to tell you what is going on in their game? No. This was crowdsourcing. And to be honest, due to the nature of it, they have NO LEGAL obligation to deliver. But I gaurantee it would go to court.

Just on kickstarter alone they had 34,300 donations. At the same time, they had their RSI crowdsourcing event going on their website. No idea how many, they don't have to be transparent about it.

But lets take EVE Online. Over 500k subscribers. So lets just say only 250k have donated to RSI, and we'll use the average of $62 (avg of kickstarter), that comes out to $15.5million.

So it is very possible on what they're getting JUST from normal gamers like ourselves. I used the average, but there are upgrades many people (including myself) have bought.

Now this has just been a year. They have put out a lot of screen grabs, videos, and the interactive ship bay. I don't know of a game developer that puts out everything they're doing as they do it.

I don't know of a game company that says 'We are getting all this money from here and here and here' unless they're a publicly traded company, because that is required by law. But they are not required, nor should they, spill all the beans on the game.

I also don't know of a game company that gives the very in depth bullet point of what is what and how they're doing it. They give out more details as they get closer to the launch, but they DO have to protect their IP as well. Why would you spell out everything you're doing? That would only give others the opportunity to get a game like it as well.

We know Bungie is doing Destiny, but we have only seen a few video's and screenshots. So what's to say that isn't a scam that they're running on their stock holders and investors?

So instead of coming out and crying (this is meant for all the ones doing it)"SCAM!! They're doing illegal stuff!" you really need to have proof. Because what people have done here can be considered libel.

Read the forums, the devs are on their talking all the time. And read this article: Venture Beat Interview with RSI

39. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 05:26 Jaxx

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 04:32:
    Where the hell did you get that from? Origin Systems was bought out by EA over 12 years ago and shut down two years later after the travesty of Ultima 9. It's name is now used for that shitty download client.

Look at the bottom of the page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=28776

36. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 02:08 Jaxx

A few other things you may not know about that though is that Cloud Imperium Games does have stock holders. While it may not be a publicly traded company (could be wrong, but don't think so), they are getting investments from that end as well, which I don't know goes against the "We won't take outside investment or developer funding if we pass $23mil".

He was quoted this past week saying
    "We donít care about making profits for public shareholders. We just care about making the Best Damn Space Sim Ever and you generous support has already allowed us to go way beyond what we thought would be possible upon initial release!"

So without those constraints of actual investors and public shareholders and having to worry about making them money on their investments, they are able to do more with less money. They don't have corporate bigwigs making millions of dollars with multimillion dollar bonuses and such to worry about.

They are also partnered with Origin, the original company he made Wing Commander for.

Also, people for some reason seem to mistake crowdsourcing (which is a donation of sorts) to investing, as if they've bought into the company and expect to make a return on their investment. It never has, nor will it be like that. The only return we expect to get is a game, and hopefully a good one at that!

34. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 01:12 Jaxx

LgFriess wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:01:
    Task wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:55:
    Beelzebud wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:26:
    I simply don't see how this thing is still raking in millions per week.

Well believe it or not, there are still people who haven't heard of this game and many more are on the edge of their decision making. "Ah hell fine, I'll donate, here's my money!"

And I have to say, if you go to their site, it really does make you want to pitch in. They've done an amazing job with that aspect of it. IMO, the Blues readers are more of a grizzled old veteran PC gamer and are much more likely to hold off supporting this until release or definitive game play is shown.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! Damn... has it really been 16 years since I started reading/lurking here?

Anyways, I actually kicked in WAY back in the beginning when it was on Kickstarter. And with the upgrades since then on new ships, I've got about $500 into it. Call me naive or what ever, but I think Roberts and crew will put out a top notch game that will bring a lot of the old Wing Commander vibe back.

Some here obviously don't know what the meaning of a ponzi scheme is. Everyone that has donated to the game does not get anything back. Crowd sourcing has become a big thing and Roberts has quite a reputation as well in the gaming industry. I really doubt he would be scamming. If he is, this would seriously hurt the industry as a whole and would be one of the best kept secrets between all four studios and all the employees working there.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 01:21.

News Comments > HD Format War Ends
    4. Re: Bah Feb 17, 2008, 16:03 Jaxx

Actually, it is/was superior.

Picture was the same on both formats, but functionality, HD-DVD had more to offer. HD-DVD launched with network connectivity, Picture-in-picture (i.e. watching the green screen behind the scenes AND the after editing at the same time for 300), interactive menu's, and the ability to update all hardware.

Sony's BR drives are just now into version 1.1 which gives a bit of an update to the menu's and PiP. But still no network connectivity. All the owners of the first and second gen players will find it impossible to play many of the features that Gen 3 players will provide when it launches, because they are NOT upgradable. This was announced by Sony just a few weeks ago.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 16:04.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    48. Re: Also Nov 1, 2005, 22:49 Jaxx

Keith Parkinson died of complications from leukemia on October 26, four days after his 47th birthday.

I first was introduced to him by the artwork he did for both David Eddings and Terry Brooks writings.

He'll be missed.

News Comments > etc.
    3. Re: SWG tonado hit Sep 19, 2004, 21:48 Jaxx

world of warcrafts servers are still down after that tornado...

11 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo