Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pierre

Real Name Pierre   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yosemite Sam
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Gamer, old school. Been around since pong.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 6, 2004, 19:16
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 21539

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2013, 18:55 Yosemite Sam

I hope Sony hasn't fucked the pooch with their design and production. Faulty software isn't that big a deal but broken HDMI ports, that's a whole new ball game and an indicator of poor production standards. Could also be those particular units were pre-assembly line units and not indicators of what will be coming off of the line. I'm no fanboy, if the PS4s show any indication of being another RROD I will not touch one with a ten foot pole. This is the reason I've no plan to buy the next gen for at least a year.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Launch Trailer
25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2013, 18:18 Yosemite Sam

Rigs wrote on Nov 14, 2013, 17:56:
warmbluelasers wrote on Nov 14, 2013, 17:43:
Only one playable ship? X was good but it's not good enough to give up the fleet collecting, carrier captaining aspect.

I have no doubt whatsoever that other ships/cockpits will be modded in within a few days/weeks. The reasoning was that many players never really spent much time actually navigating a large warship/freighter because they were such ponderous slugs. Most, it was reckoned, just jumped onto the bridge to handle fitting out of weapons/cargo and ships (in the case of carriers/frigates/corvettes) and right back out to a smaller vessel. In a way, they're right. Still, it would be nice to have the choice. Aside from story-wise, I don't see a real technical reason why they couldn't do it....

=-Rigs-=

I dunno, I find that pretty hard to believe. I think most people flew many different classes of ships. I had my favorite fighter, freighter, small carrier, frigate and cap ship... and come to think of it I had my scout too. I'm sure other people had their particular favorite ships that weren't the ones I choose. But that said I'm not ready to dump on this simply because I can't fly anything but one ship, as long as they make up for that fact with one really cool ship and a much much better story.

Looks really pretty, hope the game play is as nice as the GFX. Won't be jumping on this anytime soon but it's definitely on my radar.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
41. No subject Nov 12, 2013, 17:08 Yosemite Sam

bhcompy wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:35:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:28:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:39:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 18:09:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

... and that's different then say losing your first few units in CoH? All RTS games are going to be painful if you lose units early in the game. The only real difference between the games is pace. CoH is a fast paced over quick game. Warcraft and the like are more strategy, building and resource based games that take more time and planning to play. I'll take another AoE over Warhammer any day of the week, but we'll never see it because most people simply don't want to invest the time or thought into it. ADD is an exaggeration but it's basically true.

CoH was less punishing for losing early units. Less focus on micro, more on macro. *craft games are completely focused on micro, for people that are doped up on ritalin.

Um you got your micro and macro backwards. CoH requires micro, you can't simply macro in CoH or you'll get slaughtered. You have to get right in there and micro manage all your individual units for best position and cover or you'll lose them. Dunno where you get the idea *craft games are completely focused on micro, base building and resource collecting are macro, micro is when you finally engage the enemy. If anything the *craft games have a balance between micro and macro, it's CoH that's heavily focused on micro.

EDIT heh all this CoH talk has me itching to fire up a game... must resist, must do chores, GTA has been eating way too much into my other activities this last month... must put down the games for awile, must resist temptation to just play games 24\7...

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 17:20.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:34 Yosemite Sam

I have a question about the upgrades to the game... did they do anything to the base to make it more alive and to also reflect the state of the game? I seem to remember that other then the alien containment, which showed an alien in containment if you captured one, nothing in the base reflected the state of your game. So the exact same people would be hanging out in med bay regardless of how many of your soldiers were actually injured and in need of medical attention. It's one of those things that Rockstar gets so right and so many other devs seem to just skip over, attention to the little details.  

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
39. No subject Nov 12, 2013, 15:28 Yosemite Sam

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 03:46:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

That wasn't the problem with RTS. The problem is it became too much to manage because unit AI for autoharvesting tended to be bad. Note how good harvesting is in starcraft 2 compared to previous RTS games for instance.

It free's up time to manage your units during battle when you don't have to babysit your economy.

In small scale RTS games you'd be right, but the more units you have to control the more it's just had user interface and game design getting in the way of managing large scale armies.

Ya I can see your point when it comes to huge scale, like say Supreme Commander, but SC didn't dump it's economy, just moved it all into base building. AoE was pretty huge scale and it also had the largest economy, 4 if I remember correctly, and it had complex base building too. It was very manageable (I found it easier then CoH) but you had to plan, build up your resources and your base. It took time, time most people don't want to invest in a game, which is why they... simplify ... everything now. Make the games easier and quicker, straight into the action and game over inside of 30 min.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
32. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 12, 2013, 14:46 Yosemite Sam

El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 04:41:
bigspender wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 04:07:
El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 02:13:
You see another ship floating in space.
You enter the ship.
A member of your crew gets killed. You can't do nothing about it and didn't know this could happen.
This happens 3 times in one playthrough. You exit the game. You uninstall it.
Why did you do it another 2 times after it failed the first time? lol.

Either way its a rogue-like, if you can even make it to the boss you've done very well

Have you ever played the game? Because you can find useful stuff in those space ships. And very often you depend on that stuff.

Well, it's just not my kind of game. I don't want to depend on luck too much, because my luck level is always close to 0.

There's pretty much zero luck involved with those encounters. You either have the right ship upgrades and\or crew members or you don't. If you do, you'll be successful 100% of the time. If you don't you'll fail 100% of the time.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 14:27 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:03:
Really enjoying it so far. The voices alone are awesome, and while I thought I'd hate the "hurry up and get the Meld!" gameplay, I'm actually being more aggressive because of it, which leads to cooler firefights.

Also enjoying the new Second Wave options a lot, though I'm wondering if there will be a Save Scummer achievement.

Nice, I'll get this one, in the future, on the cheap. Too many games right now, got 4 or 5 I haven't touched on the PS3 and another 6 on the PC to get to... and that doesn't even cover old titles I still enjoy, been feeling a CIV itch a coming.

9. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 11, 2013, 22:31 Yosemite Sam

Whiskers wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:16:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:06:
Nice of them to make it free. The one thing I would have liked to see added, but wasn't, is a never ending game mode. Would be nice instead of just working your way to the boss fight and end game, to instead be able to move around the maps freely without the pursuit.

There is a mod that does this. It's called Infinite Space
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3542

Sweet, thanks for the info... I'll definitely try it if I can manage to pull myself away from GTA.

36. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 22:28 Yosemite Sam

bhcompy wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:39:

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

... and that's different then say losing your first few units in CoH? All RTS games are going to be painful if you lose units early in the game. The only real difference between the games is pace. CoH is a fast paced over quick game. Warcraft and the like are more strategy, building and resource based games that take more time and planning to play. I'll take another AoE over Warhammer any day of the week, but we'll never see it because most people simply don't want to invest the time or thought into it. ADD is an exaggeration but it's basically true.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 11, 2013, 22:16 Yosemite Sam

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 21:49:
I hate to admit it but that white xbone doesn't look too bad.

"Sony to disallow resell or renting of PlayStation games after initially supporting it. "

and then the shit hit the fan

Ya that's a half truth click gathering headline... but the reality is Sony seems to have changed the wording on their UK ToS. Which could allow them to, at some point, revoke the ability to resell games. Could also just be a fuckup by some employee who posted an old ToS. No way in hell Sony could be that stupid to change their policy after everything that's happened.

7. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 11, 2013, 22:06 Yosemite Sam

Nice of them to make it free. The one thing I would have liked to see added, but wasn't, is a never ending game mode. Would be nice instead of just working your way to the boss fight and end game, to instead be able to move around the maps freely without the pursuit.  

30. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 18:09 Yosemite Sam

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 16:03 Yosemite Sam

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 15:04:
Rigs wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 13:45:
Not that I'm advocating cheating (perish the thought! *thinks back to the fact that he's cheated in every single single-player game he's ever played* heh) but if you look at the video (and can stand the guy's 'uh, but ya' over and over and over and...ARGH!) at about 1:42, you'll see that it says that if you leave a job too many times with finishing it, you'll be put in the pool as well. I wouldn't say that's cheating, just being a pain in the ass...fine line? *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

The problem I've seen on reddit is griefer attacks you in car, you blow up griefers car (to kill him), but you get flagged as a bad sport for blowing up his car. Even though he was the aggressor. Dumb.

Um you have pistols, shotguns, sub machine guns, assault rifles, heavy machine guns and sniper guns. I don't get the 'I had to blow up his car' line because I pull out a machine gun and simply kill them in their car. As a pedestrian you have the advantage, you can autolock on them but they can't do that while driving, net result is you decorate the interior of their vehicle in red.

I would like to see Rockstar implement a forgive option though, for those times you accidentally destroy someones car. As in blowing up a crew members car while dealing with a swarm of bikers on a mission.

When I just wan't to play around without dealing with dicks I simply start a crew only session. When I'm in the mood to deal with griefers I go public, they don't seem to like it when you don't go all explosive on them and simply shoot them again and again and again. The new trick they use is using the car you cant kill them from behind. Had some dude try this on me last night, kept trying to gun me down by driving around in his car backwards so I couldn't shoot back. I simply went where he could not follow and at my first opportunity while he was trying to re position, decorated the interior of his car. Course after that he doesn't respawn in his magic car anymore, he didn't seem to enjoy the dance so much at that point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2013, 15:09 Yosemite Sam

Sweet, Rockstar has apparently gone after the glitchers. They are all getting dumped to their own 'bad servers' and losing all their cash.

http://www.gta5tv.com/gta-v-cheaters-pool-details/

Honest players rejoice!

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
24. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 13:05 Yosemite Sam

I've noticed a few of the 'die hard' COD players on my friends list are not playing ghosts, and speaking to a friend who has been a day one COD player he has no interest in this game. Might just be people are waiting to play on the next gen, might be CODs run is over... well you know, as in in decline, I'm sure they will still sell a lot.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 5, 2013, 21:05 Yosemite Sam

Hope this finally nails down the save issues so Rockstar can finally get down to other things.  

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
31. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:18 Yosemite Sam

Definitely will not buy this for the current gen console. Probably at least a year or more away from buying a next gen console. So hopefully by then I'll be able to get it for the PC, because I do prefer to FPS on a PC, but I'll FPS on the next gen console if that's my only option.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
35. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2013, 01:08 Yosemite Sam

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 22:37:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 20:30:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 18:41:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:06:
Haha, name me a South American country that respects human rights.

Really? ... wow... just, wow.

And...still waiting for you to name ONE.

... You are gay.

Welcome to ignore, for the ignorant!

So you put me on ignore because you wish to remain ignorant?

That is an ignorant statement, by any way you wish to define it.

You are gay.

That is a pop cultural reference, answering the very question you asked.

still waiting for you to name ONE.

You are gay, Uruguay ... Uruguay ... get it? Now you could call me a smart ass, that would be a valid point... but buddy you own ignorant, and wear it like a crown ... which is why I was being a smart ass

25. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2013, 20:30 Yosemite Sam

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 18:41:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:06:

And...still waiting for you to name ONE.

... You are gay.

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2013, 16:06 Yosemite Sam

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo