Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ron

Real Name Ron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Warhawk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 27, 2004, 04:41
Total Comments 3853 (Veteran)
User ID 21411

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Video Card Nov 2, 2007, 11:28 Warhawk

Just submitted the request - losing $100 and getting better performance and a one-slot card instead of a two-slot card.

A little bummed about the $$$, but hey, I'm getting better performance than I was (reluctantly) willing to pay for previously....so I guess it's all good.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Video Card Nov 2, 2007, 11:22 Warhawk

I am not going to step up - I am happy with mine, and I really don't see a reason to. I currently have more power than I will need in the next 12 months.

Yeah, but I'll probably keep mine for about 4 years (if history is any benchmark). If I can gain 10% performance (or whatever it is) for the cost of shipping, I'll do it for the long run.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 11:22.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

6. Video Card Nov 2, 2007, 11:08 Warhawk

OK, see, now I think I am going to have to take advantage of EVGA's Step-up offer and move to the 8800GT. The shitty thing is the only one they offer is the stock speed model and not the overclocked ones. I told you I should have bought the 320 MB card first - now I'm losing about $90 to step up! ARGH!!!!

Oh, well, that's the potential problem of building when you want to/can afford to - always something better around the corner. At least I have the option to step up, which is better than most.

4. Re: Cyr Wheel Practice. Nov 2, 2007, 10:27 Warhawk

Dizzy? I would think so after a while. Puke? Eh, I don't know. I've been on some pretty spinny rides/attractions in my time and never once got "urfy". Maybe some folks are more prone to that, but I would think that guys like this inherently are not....

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 22:10 Warhawk

You can't have the Heavy Machinery Acrobatics without having this one included!

http://sprinklerdoc.com/dozer.html

Maybe youll find someone else to help you
Maybe Black Mesa
THAT WAS A JOKE, HA HA, FAT CHANCE
Anyway this cake is great
Its so delicious and moist

21. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 17:19 Warhawk

The fiance' did not find it as amusing as I did.

They never do....

Maybe youll find someone else to help you
Maybe Black Mesa

12. Movies Nov 1, 2007, 13:24 Warhawk

Anything good out in the theaters right now? It's movie night!

Maybe Black Mesa

3. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 10:19 Warhawk

Welcome to celebrity, we want to know and see everything in your life! =p

nin is already playing the paparazzo role in the van....

Why doesn't he have the photos????

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

14. Re: No subject Oct 31, 2007, 17:12 Warhawk

Maybe a memo about bringing more family members to work for Aperture Science's Family Day!

So they can be tested, too?

I finished it last night - what fun! Loved this game!

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

2. Portal Oct 30, 2007, 10:17 Warhawk

Having more fun with it - just finished level 18 last night. SSPT: Falling into one portal and popping out vertically from another and having to shoot to the next platform was a lot of fun. I was laughing at the machine guns talking to me. OMG, how funny.

This game is great. I've told my friends who don't have it that they need to pick it up.

3. Portal Oct 29, 2007, 00:53 Warhawk

OK, so I finished E2 and decided to try Portal tonight. You know, just for a few minutes to see how it is. And before I know it it's level 16 and I need to get some sleep.

The game is really, really cool. I was not thinking on SSPT the level (14?) with the zigzag hallway and the moving platforms. I was trying to put portals at each end of the short hallways and time the platforms that way. Silly me. ;P

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 09:17.

17. Re: Little video I found.. Oct 26, 2007, 15:48 Warhawk

For those of you who may be traveling around this time of year.

I think I have had about 3 humorous pre-flight instruction sets like this one. Two were on Southwest, and we were rolling in the seats for one of them. They also started singing songs, etc. I like it when they actually break up the monotony of flying with stuff like that.

I had one flight where the pilot said humorously that the attendant was single and ready to get married. I think he was being serious, as the gal was trying to play it off but not denying it. She was attractive, too.

14. Re: Yes, Portal is THAT good Oct 26, 2007, 15:21 Warhawk

Portal may well be the funniest computer game in history

See, I was just waiting to play it since I figured it was not going to be anything super-duper, but all these comments have me wanting to finish HL2E2 quickly just to move on to Portal!

Which I won't do, of course, since I just poke along in the SP games looking at every nook and cranny.

28. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 15:51 Warhawk

Bats-

Just wondering if you have ever read anything by John Douglas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Douglas

I think his first book for the public was Mindhunter. Fascinating reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Hunter-Inside-Elite-Serial/dp/0671528904/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-9842787-5758448?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193341545&sr=1-2

27. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 15:41 Warhawk

The point of this was not to debate whether he deserved it or not. The point of this was to show that tasing is NOT always safe, because you never know what kind of effect it's going to have on any one person and many circumstances tasing is very unnecessary.

No, the point is that enforcing the law can be unsafe to those breaking it (for whatever reason) no matter which enforcement method is used.

Taser - safest for bystanders and police.
Pepper spray - possibly slightly safer for the person being sprayed, less safe for bystanders and police, may not affect some people as much as others.
Physical restraint alone - probably the most dangerous for both the subject and police.
Shooting - apparently not considered in this case and not required.
Letting the person go - not an option.

So, which would you have preferred? I'll let you make the choice.

Edit - I am a civil engineer and have no relatives or friends directly involved with law enforcement. The above is my own subjective view on relative dangers of subduing someone who is acting out. Please correct me if I am mistaken on my brief analysis of options.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 15:44.

21. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 14:25 Warhawk

In that same article there is even an eyewitness that claims she did not perceive the man as a threat.

Who cares? It's not her decision to make.

Yes, he was tased and died. Happens to cokeheads too sometimes. If they weren't on coke, they wouldn't have been tased and they would be fine. The coke use is the problem, coupled with the stress from a taser (not necessarily the taser itself).

It is impossible to know the particular ramifications of tasing (or forcibly restraining, etc.) each person. It's like the guys who play football and with one (or two) blow(s) to the right spot on the chest they die.

https://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/333/26/1784

Now, is football to blame or their heart condition?

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 14:28.

14. Re: Followup Oct 25, 2007, 13:49 Warhawk

A preliminary autopsy has failed to find any signs of trauma, disease or anything else that could have contributed to the death.

Did you even read the second article?

Meanwhile, RCMP speculated Monday the man may have had a rare condition known as excited delirium, though the coroner's office has not yet determined the cause of death.

Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre said witnesses reported seeing the man sweating profusely and showing the whites of his eyes when he began violently tossing chairs and luggage inside the airport early Sunday.

Excited delirium is described as an agitated state, when a person experiences an irregular heartbeat and suddenly dies. It can happen to psychiatric patients and people using drugs such as cocaine.

Lemaitre denied links between the Taser jolts and the man's death, saying deaths are often not directly related to the stun gun but rather caused by some pre-existing medical condition or drug use.

"My feeling is they're being overused. They're being used on people who are in medical or emotional distress and often there are tragic consequences," said Ward.

OK, nice, but what do you do when you can't control what appears to be a raving lunatic in an airport?

You can't just walk up to him and say, "Sir, kindly put your hands behind your back, pretty please with sugar on top."

They gave their list of options: Taser, pepper spray, or force. Whichever they use they get crucified in public.

Why don't we start blaming the people at fault - those on drugs, off their meds, or maybe have a legitimate medical condition that nobody knows about. The police have a job to do. If they knew everything about a person ahead of time, of course they can make better decisions. But they have to deal with random people acting strangely or threateningly. They, in general, do the best they can. And I want to thank them for doing it to keep the public safe.

Again, it is not the taser causing the problems, it is the person out of control. That's like blaming firefighters for getting your building wet when putting out the fire that's burning it down.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 13:52.

25. Re: Fires Oct 24, 2007, 20:21 Warhawk

I worked at a grocery store for quite a while. Everyday at least 5 people would come in with their WIC vouchers (I am not making these numbers up). And as the supervisor I had to ring them up, regular cashiers were not allowed. They would use their WIC vouchers for their bread and milk and cereal and cheese and juice and baby food and diapers and a few other things. Cool, fine, help out somebody that needs it. They would then buy $100 worth of groceries with Food Stamps. I am fine with that, helping out people who really need it as you say. Except, they then go get in a car that is costing them $600+ a month in payments, plus crazy insurance.

Not just that, I have personally seen similar situations except they pay for staples with food stamps/WIC and then buy, literally, at least $100-200 in alcohol and cigarettes with crisp new $20 and $50 bills. Yeah! My tax $$$ at work!!!

18. Re: Fires Oct 24, 2007, 18:01 Warhawk

Get your priorities straight.

I wasn't talking about war costs, different topic entirely. I guess you'll be quoting abortion statistics next, huh? Or maybe the cost of gas in Kansas?

8. Re: Fires Oct 24, 2007, 13:22 Warhawk

As usual, such deep compassion and sympathy from the conservatives on this board.

There's a big difference between compassion and throwing away $$$ hand over fist at the same people for the same reasons over and over again....

I work hard, pay my taxes, and donate goods and $$$ to church and charities for lots of projects and people in the community and around the world. I pay insurance so I can replace anything lost for whatever reason. I am responsible for myself.

All I ask is that others do the same. Be responsible for yourself.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo