Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ron

Real Name Ron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Warhawk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 27, 2004, 04:41
Total Comments 3853 (Veteran)
User ID 21411

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: No subject Jan 19, 2008, 20:29 Warhawk

I'm on the fence about Cloverfield - kinda like to see it, but most reviews have been not on the positive side.

The Iron Man trailer does not really make me think it will be a superhero flick on the level of FF, Superman, Spidey, Batman, etc. (not that all these are the same, mind you). Maybe more like Elektra? Just does not inspire confidence.

Went to Hooters once because a co-worker wanted to go. Never been there before. Won't probably go back. Yeah, the waitresses were nice and attractive, but the food was pretty average and expensive. I've been there once, that was enough.

Haven't seen a Star Trek trailer yet.....

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. That line always bugged me.... Jan 19, 2008, 12:49 Warhawk

"The Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs." A parsec is a distance, not a time.

OK, wiki'd it just to see what they said, and here it is:

The most famous use (or misuse) is from Star Wars: A New Hope. In the Mos Eisley Cantina, Han Solo refers to the Millennium Falcon as "the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs". It is not clear whether the unit is being used to measure time or distance in this context. However, later novels in this fictional universe attributed this claim to the ability of the Millennium Falcon to reach the planet Kessel in the shortest distance despite having to pass near a very dangerous region of space, The Maw, populated by numerous black holes. This shorter course would require them to cut closer to the black holes of The Maw, implying a higher ship speed to avoid the stronger gravitational forces involved in the route.

The Star Wars usage of parsec was parodied in the Family Guy episode "Blue Harvest" where Peter as Han Solo is questioned by Chris as Luke on whether it is, in fact, a measure of distance.

Still annoying, as I think they just blew it when writing dialogue and wanted a "spacey" sounding word. Either that, or they never thought to explain what they meant....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: No subject Jan 19, 2008, 10:26 Warhawk

I am thinking about taking my monitor back......seriously....the color is crap for as much as they sell for. What a crock of shit. Stupid A model.

That sucks. Try another one. Doesn't hurt....

News Comments > Lens-based Display Breakthrough
14. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 10:05 Warhawk

Tim: Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

So is this what made the Killer Rabbit so deadly?

24. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2008, 21:29 Warhawk

OMG.
I should have don this loooong ago.

Yes. Yes, you should. I have the 216BW and love it.

11. Re: Roadie Hero... Jan 17, 2008, 11:58 Warhawk

'With Van Sleeping Simulator' *looks at nin* QA Tester eh?

I'm at work, so I better not open that one, based on it's label.

Who cares? Nobody is going to hear anything as long as the van doors and windows are closed - front of the van, back of the van, is there really THAT much difference between work and home?

6. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2008, 11:12 Warhawk

I just cashed in a bunch of rewards points from the credit card for Amazon gift cards. I have a couple hundred $$$ to spend there (as soon as the cards arrive). I think I'll use those to get some iPod accessories (auto FM transmitter, dock for the home stereo, another for work) and maybe another goodie or two.

Kinda fun to go on a little shopping spree once in a while! Now I just have to wait for them to get here....

4. Never mind Jan 16, 2008, 01:22 Warhawk

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 10:00.

16. Re: The Blue Tower Jan 15, 2008, 14:46 Warhawk

4 days without food and 3 without water

WHAT???

Man, that's just wrong. You know the old "feed a cold, starve a fever" thing? To me it's always a cold. I don't think I have EVER gone one entire day without eating when sick.

5. Re: It doesn't stop with baseball player Jan 14, 2008, 11:40 Warhawk

I was not even able to hold two ounces of water down without throwing it up.

I don't think I've ever been to the point where I can't hold down water. Then again, when I'm really sick, I don't really try drinking anything. But that usually lasts only a few hours (maybe 4-6) at the most and I am feeling better again.

1. It doesn't stop with baseball players... Jan 14, 2008, 10:31 Warhawk

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=654817

PATCHOGUE -- The names of R&B music star Mary J. Blige, along with rap artists 50 Cent, Timbaland and Wyclef Jean, and award-winning author and producer Tyler Perry, have emerged in an Albany-based investigation of steroids trafficking that has already rocked the professional sports world, according to confidential sources.

Information has surfaced recently showing those stars are among tens of thousands of people who may have used or received prescribed shipments of steroids and injectable human growth hormone in recent years. Law enforcement officials have said they have no evidence in their sprawling multistate probe that customers, including Blige or other entertainers, violated any laws. Instead, they are targeting anti-aging clinics, doctors and pharmacists who prescribed the drugs.

Still, medical experts say that use of steroids and human growth hormone -- an estimated $10 billion-a-year operation worldwide -- reaching into the entertainment industry illustrates how pervasive steroids use in the United States has become. It is not unique to athletics, where performance-enhancing drug use has marred many sports. For many celebrities, the lure of hormonal drugs is their supposed, unproven anti-aging effects.

While Congress is preparing to focus on baseball players alleged to have taken the drugs, medical experts are warning that steroids and human growth hormone are being illegally prescribed nationwide at an alarming rate under the misconception they will aid healing, enhance looks, strength and speed, or slow aging.

Records shared with the Times Union and information from several cooperating witnesses on Long Island indicate Blige and other stars were shipped prescribed human growth hormone or steroids -- sometimes under fictitious names -- at hotels, production studios, private residences, an upscale Manhattan fitness club and through the Long Island office of Michael Diamond, a chiropractor affiliated with the celebrities, sources said.

Along the way it has exposed allegations of steroid use by Major League Baseball players, pro wrestlers, NFL figures, police officers, prison guards, top-ranked body builders, people with ties to high school and college wrestling programs, and now, celebrities.

more....

Brendan J. Lyons can be reached at 454-5547 or by e-mail at blyons@timesunion.com.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 10:32.

24. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 02:19 Warhawk

Warhawk: I hope that's not in a gay way.

No, more like the old Bud commercials.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=484572

http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/best_spots_90s/90s_17.jsp

22. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2008, 18:34 Warhawk

Enahs: Hate?

He hates everything. It's his way of saying, "I love you, man."

7. Re: Hot LAVA ! Jan 11, 2008, 12:30 Warhawk

I got a lava lamp a few years ago and like Bats said, it's great just for some ambient light in the room. Blue "lava" with a black base, baby.

On the 50 game cabinets - I always liked the disks of Tron game but I was playing fewer video games by that time and it was hard to find so I never played it in the arcade all that much....

I would buy that game (for the PC) at a somewhat bargain price without a second thought.

12. Re: Stupid commercials Jan 10, 2008, 20:26 Warhawk

Hey Bronco-

I replied to a post of yours from yesterday. Just an FYI.

42. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 20:23 Warhawk

I was concerned that it wouldn't output audio to my older 5.1 receiver AND output the video to my TV via HDMI

I believe most players/receivers/dish units are outputting on all available channels simultaneously anyways. I have my main dish unit plugged into a couple different TV's using multiple outputs and my DVD player is hooked up to my receiver with both HDMI and analog (analog for the Zone 2 feature on the receiver, since it can't be a digital input). I can have the same CD/DVD source playing on both Zones simultaneously, so it does both digital and analog output at the same time.

6. Re: Quick iPod questions Jan 10, 2008, 09:29 Warhawk

I use that kensington FM trans, it's pretty good.

It seems to be well thought of. Thanks.

What kind of receiver are you talking?

I have a Yamaha RX-V661 at home and a Sony STR-DE697 at work (my old home receiver pulling light duty, but I still think I should hook it up in 7.1 instead of 2.0 in my office ).

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398&CTID=5000300

And looking at that, I didn't realize there was an "optional YDS-10 Universal Dock that lets you connect your iPod to this product". I'll look into it.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDE697&LOC=3

1. Quick iPod questions Jan 10, 2008, 01:59 Warhawk

I am looking for a couple items, hoping for recommendations.

I would like to connect my nano (3G) to my receiver at home and work (yes, I have a regular stereo receiver at work) - audio and video capability at home, audio only at work. Preferrably with battery charging at the same time. Am I stuck getting a dock of some type for $50 or more or is there a cable connector that also has a charger attached?

OK, I did find this one for $37:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U9WU0O/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IRMZZG9CQ7MLU&colid=LQH6DV1ARQ3D

And anyone use an FM adapter for the car? The best I can find (functionality-wise) appears to be this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XXHNW/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I26FZS2KCBBNNP&colid=LQH6DV1ARQ3D

31. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 18:01 Warhawk

While waiting for the format war to work itself out, I picked up a cheapy HDMI upconverting DVD player.

Same here, BD. I had an upconverting changer already, but sold it to my sister and got an HDMI upconverting changer when I put my new system together. I really see no need for HD yet given my satisfaction with it. I sincerely doubt I (or most others, for that matter) would really notice a big difference between upconverted DVD and HD (as I have seen both and they are pretty darn close picture-wise). It's not like the step up between VHS and DVD by any measure, and DVD already has my 5.1 sound covered....

24. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:06 Warhawk

I too wish they would just kill one

Same here. I was kinda hoping HD-DVD would win, but we need to just declare one winner and get moving.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10288

Paramount has denied reports claiming that it will be dropping support for HD DVD. Company spokeswoman Brenda Ciccone wrote in an email received by Bloomberg, Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format.

According to the report, Paramount has a clause in its contract with the HD DVD Group allowing it to back out from the agreement should Warner exclusively support Blu-ray Disc. Keisuke Ohmori, a spokesman for Toshiba, commented that the FT report was speculation.

While Paramount has denied that its current plan is to drop HD DVD support, the studio did not comment on its supposed contract clause. A similar response was received by High-Def Digest: We are still supporting HD DVD, a Paramount spokesperson told the website.

While HD DVD owners should take some solace in Paramounts words, the studio is saying little else to reaffirm its future plans for the high-definition format instead repeating that its current strategy is still status quo.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10240

Warners announcement last week of Blu-ray Disc exclusivity had a ripple effect on more than just one home video companys releases. Warner Home Video also distributes New Line, HBO and BBC Video products, leaving some to wonder if Blu-ray Disc just gained an entire stable of studio support.

According to Variety, New Line and HBO will follow Warners lead to side only with Blu-ray Disc. BBC Video, the company behind the popular high-definition nature documentary Planet Earth, has not yet publicly expressed its intentions with format exclusivity.

Perhaps the most important outcome of New Line's upcoming decision is that the studio owns the rights to The Lord of The Rings trilogy. Should the (second) most compelling motion picture trilogy hit high-definition home video, itll be on Blu-ray Disc.

And last but not least:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10234

The news just continues to sour for the HD DVD camp. Earlier today, DailyTech reported that Warner Bros. decided to go Blu-ray exclusive by the end of May 2008. Warner Bros. executives backed their decision by saying that the move was beneficial for consumers.

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," stated Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group President Kevin Tsujihara.

It looks as though the fallout from the Warner Bros. move is coming fast and furiously. The DailyTech inbox was just moments ago greeted with the following message from a Toshiba representative regarding CES press meetings and the scheduled HD DVD press conference:

Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, the HD DVD Promotional Group has decided to cancel 1:1 press meetings at CES, in addition to the press conference that was scheduled for Sunday evening. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Looks like bye-bye HD-DVD....

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 16:07.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo