Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ron

Real Name Ron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Warhawk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 27, 2004, 04:41
Total Comments 3853 (Veteran)
User ID 21411

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: PS3 question Jan 28, 2008, 17:36 Warhawk

as to whether or not any alternative player represents wasted money really depends on the end user

True.

But considering it is among the cheapest BR players available and is the only one upgradable to the 2.0 spec, I would not in clear conscience recommend anyone to get something different at this point. When cheaper players are available, or other 2.0 players are available, I would reassess. If you already have a player and are happy with it, GREAT! If you are buyng a new one, why wouldn't you go PS3?

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: PS3 question Jan 28, 2008, 16:20 Warhawk

it's one of the few that can have the software updated over the net

To my knowledge it is the only current BR player that will meet BR 2.0 specifications. All the others are limited to 1.0 or 1.1, IIRC. If you are getting a BR player and don't get a PS3, I think you are wasting your $$$.

Ah, found it:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080118-new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.html

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

18. Re: No subject Jan 28, 2008, 00:01 Warhawk

Well, we got to see a little bit of the monster trucks....

It was very loud and even ear protectors were not enough to make it comfortable for him. I was wearing earplugs and doing fine (as were the 2 grandpas), but his ears are so small that normal earplugs just don't work. I tried trimming them down, but we just couldn't get him comfortable.

Oh well, next time.

And we were amazed at the number of parents with kids there and less than half (I would guess) were wearing ear protection at all. I bet they are the same folks who take their young children to R rated movies, too.

26. Re: Oklahoma Sucks Jan 27, 2008, 14:12 Warhawk

Actually a Smart is safer than an F-150. Bigger is not always safer, most full size trucks and SUV's are more of a death trap than small cars. Full sized trucks (SUV's are classified as trucks BTW) are exempt from some crash testing.

Ford F-150 crash test at 40MPH: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4188150639969807675

Smart crash test at 70MPH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBo1UPbloI

Smart offset frontal crash vs. full size car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVNUvixWUQ

I would much rather be in the Smart than the F-150

OK, but that is not my truck. I have the 2006, which is much safer than the older model you were watching.

And I am not talking about running into a wall, I am talking about running into a smart car. Big difference. Difference in mass can play a huge role in deceleration experienced by the respective drivers (like a bowling ball hitting a bocci ball) - obviously not an elastic collision, but momentum does play a part.

http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2006/ford/f-150/safety/

http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/ford/f-150/safety/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/ford/f150/100613428/safety.html

15. Re: Oklahoma Sucks Jan 27, 2008, 02:00 Warhawk

thought of something like a Ford F-150 slamming into one of those little suckers is more than enough for me to not want one though.

Hence one of the reasons I drive a 2006 F-150.

13. Re: Monster Trucks Jan 27, 2008, 00:53 Warhawk

Be sure to bring ear protection.. at least for your son if you don't think you need it.

Thanks. We already thought of that, but appreciate the heads-up.

My father-in-law has a couple sets of ear protectors my in-laws use when they go to NASCAR races and I'm going to either take earplugs or get some of those myself. I used earplugs frequently when drill logging or watching piledriving activities and they work pretty well for me. We'll get it figured out.

It's going to be a "guy event", with my dad, F-I-L, myself, and my son going (all 3 generations, including both grandpas). Doesn't get any better than that for a 5-year old!

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 00:53.

1. Monster Trucks Jan 26, 2008, 16:39 Warhawk

Our little guy wants to see them so we are going to take him tomorrow.

I've never been, so it should be interesting.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 21:08 Warhawk

OK.....

So tonight I boot up my computer and weather.com and BB.com load up without a problem. Why now and not for the past month or so? WTF?!?!?

Also, looks like I have to work quite a bit this weekend. That is teh suck.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Cloverfield Jan 23, 2008, 01:21 Warhawk

Saw it tonight. A few thoughts:

In general, I didn't mind the shakey-cam. It makes sense in the context of the movie. I just hate it when the director thinks that you have to accentuate the shakey-cam experience by holding the flipping camera off axis by 20-30 degrees half the time when nothing special is going on. If I am filming something, I make an effort to hold it pretty level.

Some of the dialogue was not the best. But whatever.

Some folks are saying "you never see the monster". Not true, you do see bits and pieces early and more later. Not as much as I'd like, but again, that's not the kind of movie this is. And I thought they did a good job with the monster itself.

They did some pretty dumb things in the move as far as what the characters do and the decisions they make. That, more than anything, annoys me. Maybe New Yorkers are just like that?

SSCT: The little monsters the main creature drops look an awful lot like the ones in "Starship Troopers" and the Antlions in Half-Life 2. Which is neither here nor there, just sayin'.

I had heard that the ending of the movie was "ambiguous", with you not knowing if the creature survived, etc.. There was a bit more at the end than I was expecting, but they were correct.

I like the fact that they didn't do anything TOO crazy with the gal who got bit - you know, changing into a monster, hatching little ones, etc. Having her just get worse and basically just violently hemmorage blood at the end (behind a curtain) seems fairly plausible and not too outlandinsh, if that makes any sense....

So I guess, in general, I liked it. There are some annoying bits/elements, but I liked it. There were things that could be improved, though.

I've never seen Blair Witch or Lost, so those things couldn't taint my opinion of it.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 10:40.

27. Re: Heath Ledger!!! Jan 22, 2008, 17:32 Warhawk

Well, at least the filming of Batman must be done already

Is it? Just wondering, I really don't know....

24. Re: No subject Jan 22, 2008, 16:52 Warhawk

To continue where Blue left off:

As chili spread east into areas where beef was more expensive (beef was plentiful and cheap in San Antonio and other cattle towns), chili with Pinto or other beans became more prevalent. In some eastern areas, this dish is referred to as "chili beans" while the term chili is reserved for the all-meat dish. Other changes included the adding of other vegetables. Tomatoes are almost always used, bell peppers are common and even celery appears in recipes. Many easterners are just as adamant about the inclusion of beans in their chili for an authentic flavor as Texans are about their exclusion.

Most commercially prepared canned chili includes beans. Commercial chili prepared without beans is usually called "Chili No Beans". A vocal minority of self-styled 'chili experts' believe that beans and chili should always be cooked separately and served on the side. It is then up to the consumer to stir his preferred quantity of beans into his own bowl. Some cooks prefer black beans, black-eyed peas, or kidney beans instead of pinto beans.

A popular saying among self-proclaimed chili purists is "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans". The thought that beans do not belong in chili may be further credited to the fact that most official chili cookoffs do not allow beans. In many cases a chili will be disqualified if it contains such ingredients considered filler.

So it looks like this is more a "commercial" vs. "purist" arguement.

And don't get me wrong - I really like non-bean chili as well. Some times more than the kind with beans. It's just that when I hear "chili", I think of the kind with beans.

And Allan Shivers' quote is pretty funny. I don't agree, but it's pretty funny.

13. Re: No subject Jan 22, 2008, 15:21 Warhawk

Bah - chili has beans in it. Now there is no-bean chili, but standard chili comes with beans.

And I don't like chunk tomatos in my food. products made of tomatos (ketchup, pizza sauce, etc - all good stuff) yes, but no chunk tomatos.

Just sayin'.

22. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 17:04 Warhawk

Well that's what it IS, no questions about it. Make sure C1E is disabled as well.

That's what I was trying to find out. Thanks.

I'll do more poking around.

I'm not against using the energy saving features by any means, I just wanted to make sure everything was operating normally.

14. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 14:45 Warhawk

Did you load that Gigabit program that runs in Windows? Gives you real time status of your pc performance ie: what speed your cores are running?

No.

11. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 14:10 Warhawk

It's called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech)

oh, disable C1E too.

It is disabled - see my post.

That's why I am confused! Maybe the disable funtion isn't working?

1. OK, strange.... Jan 21, 2008, 10:57 Warhawk

Repost from last night, maybe someone can help....

So I am pretty darn sure that I had set the CPU settings correctly on my computer to begin with (Q6600 = 266*9 for stock 2.4 GHz) but I noticed that booting up yesterday the speed displayed in the BIOS boot-up was 1.6 GHz. So I go into setup and check. Sure enough, a 6 multiplier. I run CPUID and it says 1.6 GHz. So I change the BIOS setting to 9 and run CPUID again. It varies from 1.6 to 2.4 GHz - it will say one reading one second and sometimes change to the other instantly (the multiplier is changing from 6 to 9 and back according to CPUID). Is this some kind of speed stepping in the processor to lower power consumption kicking in and out or ??? Never seen that happen before. Yes, EIST is turned off in the BIOS (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 11:36.

15. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 10:03 Warhawk

http://www.russiatoday.ru/scitech/news/19777

Online game rivalry ends with real life murder

A young Russian man has been charged with murder after an internet game jumped off the screen onto the street. It's alleged he killed an internet gaming rival after they met face to face in the city of Ufa.

Violence on screen isn't harmful to anyone. But when virtual reality and real life collide an innocent game can end in tragedy.

It all started when two clans - the Coo-clocks, made up of mostly students, and the so-called Platanium with more experienced gamers of over thirty - started fighting to wipe out each other on screen.

33-year-old Albert used to spend hours in front of his computer. On the web he had his own clan and a dozen of warriors. Just days before the New Year in a virtual battle his clan killed a member of the hostile Coo-clocks.

Days later the enemies agreed to meet literally face to face in the real world.

Their confrontation led to tragedy. Albert was badly beaten and died from his injuries on the way to hospital.

I think they have confused the game and reality. And after we buried him on December 31, they continued to threaten us, Alberts sister Albina says.

The alleged murderer hasn't shown regret and hasn't justified himself. 22-year-old student just calmly explained why he killed his opponent.

On the web each of the clans had its own hierarchy and rules

Beat everything that moves, and everything that doesnt move - move and beat! this is one of the rules of the Coo-clocks clan.

In this case the rule applied to real people in real life. Members of the internet Coo-clocks clan continue to harass the family of the murdered man, threatening to kill his sister, who hasnt turned on the computer for days.

In an unrelated case another gamer in his twenties came to Moscow from Ukraine to meet his rival. The confrontation ended in with the Moscow man being beaten to death.

And a twenty-year-old from Petrosavodsk killed his grandmother after she interrupted his game calling him to eat.

However, internet experts say these cases shouldn't be lumped together just because some people can't handle the situation.

Not many talk about the benefits of internet games for disabled people who dont have a chance to communicate with others like themselves or able-bodied people. Nobody mentions the benefits the internet can offer in education, says Aleksandr Kuzmenko of a computer game magazine.

With more and more people logging on to get their fix of virtual reality the experts say incidents like these are rare, and want it to stay that way.

Uh, OK.....

13. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 01:15 Warhawk

OK, strange....

So I am pretty darn sure that I had set the CPU settings correctly on my computer to begin with (Q6600 = 266*9 for stock 2.4 GHz) but I noticed that booting up today the speed displayed in the BIOS oot-up was 1.6 GHz. So I go into setup and check. Sure enough, a 6 multiplier. I run CPUID and it says 1.6 GHz. So I change the BIOS setting to 9 and run CPUID again. It varies from 1.6 to 2.4 GHz - it will say one reading one second and sometimes change to the other instantly. Is this some kind of speed stepping in the processor to lower power consumption kicking in and out or ??? Never seen that happen before.

Any ideas?

Edit - and yes, EIST is turned off in the BIOS (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R). It is the multiplier changing dynamically.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 01:41.

26. Re: No subject Jan 20, 2008, 16:27 Warhawk

To bad we can't put his nose in it and say "NO!"

Hey!

I told you, it was my dad's choice. I had other choices, but he wanted to see it. The dude is turning 70 this year and he was paying. Cut the guy some slack!

And yes, FF was not as good as some of the others, but I still liked it. I liked Hellboy, too. I just think Iron Man just doesn't look very good based on the trailer. I hope I'm wrong, as I will probably see it.

19. Re: No subject Jan 20, 2008, 01:08 Warhawk

OK, made a mistake and saw "In the Name of the King" tonight (my dad and I went to the movie and he wanted to see it). Don't bother. Really.

Nice part was he paid, so at least it wasn't my $$$ going to Uwe.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo