Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Machine

Real Name Machine   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MachineMk2
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 24, 2004, 15:18
Total Comments 419 (Amateur)
User ID 21388

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Nolan Bushell Nov 8, 2006, 12:07 MachineMk2

We'll see. I've seen nothing that discounts his opinion and makes yours somehow more valuable.

Personally, I think he's right about the truth behind the success of the PS/PS2 = timing and price. PS3 has neither, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. People are generally not patient. If they were waiting for a PS3 and decide that it's (a) to expensive and (b) to hard to get, they'll grab a 360 without batting an eye. That potentially could severely hurt Sony.

And the truth is, the number of early adopters can only be as high as the number of units Sony is going to ship, and then SUSTAIN that chain. That may be an issue too considering shortages and issues with manufacturing of the components.

It will also be interesting to see if the rate of HDTV ownership impacts PS3 purchases. Really no point to having a Blu-Ray if you don't have an HDTV. At the very least, a parent, or casual gamer, will decide they don't need the added expenditure and opt for a 360.

We'll know in a couple months, won't we?

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 13:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Gears of War Nov 7, 2006, 21:23 MachineMk2

I'm a fan.

Easily lived up to my expectations, which were pretty high to be honest. The graphics are great. The gameplay is hard without being frustrating. And the atmosphere is great.

Yeah, so far, so good.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2006, 20:58 MachineMk2

More proof time is a loop. I called that yesterday!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Vista system may need more memory Oct 29, 2006, 11:27 MachineMk2

I believe Gillette's roadmap calls for 10 blades on their next razor.

Prices are just about at parity with processors as well.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Vista system may need more memory Oct 28, 2006, 21:11 MachineMk2

Machine's Rule: The number of CPU cores will keep pace, but not exceed, with the number of blades on Gillette razors.

8. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2006, 19:27 MachineMk2

Are there benchmarks? All I've seen is Sony touting their cores and even seeing stories saying that they had not achieved the yields they were expecting off the production line.

There's a lot of blind faith out there. I'd feel the same way about a chip MS developed. And I also recall something about how Sony has setup up the SPE's, basically handicapping them.

Then again, I'm not a master of processor knowledge either.

6. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2006, 18:59 MachineMk2

But I did come away with an impression that a year or two from now, once developers figure out how to harness more of the PS3&#8217;s prodigious silicon horsepower, the Sony machine may be able to deliver a level of overall graphical immersion beyond what is possible on the Microsoft unit.

Um. Now this is a steaming load of crap. Simply from a journalistic point of view, what proof exists that CELL is any more powerful than any other processor? Look, I admit I'm an Xbox guy. But this guy is swallowing the hook that Sony is casting out there.

I mean, come on, the Sixaxis controller as " one clear advantage the PlayStation 3 has over the Xbox 360, which does not include anything like it." If that's the strongest advantage the PS3 has over Xbox, that's kinda weak. Where's the lack of vibration?

Than again, I don't read the NY Times for my game news either.

9. Re: 100gb 360 drive Oct 21, 2006, 12:19 MachineMk2

Bullshit. It's a standard 7200 rpm drive. And since it's only 20 GB, it's probably a really old technology with low bit density, meaning its transfer rate is considerably lower than modern drives.

Actually. We're both wrong.

Currently, the HDD that ships with the Xbox 360 Premium package is a 20GB drive running at 5400RPM. The drive is manufactured by Samsung although it isn't listed on their website as it is an OEM drive for the Xbox 360. The drive itself uses a standard Serial ATA connector (both data cable and power cable) so attaching other drives or the Xbox 360 drive to a computer for data transfer is very possible.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610&p=5

Gack. Too much editing.

And I do like unified stats.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 12:21.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Sony to replace PS3 controllers Oct 21, 2006, 12:10 MachineMk2

Sony is so full of shit.

"This is a purely speculative story and is largely untrue. The latest generation of Lithium Polymer batteries hardly suffer any memory effect at all, so it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance."

What they aren't saying is that they've already done the math and they know that everyone who's going to buy a PS3 is gonna need to buy a new controller in 2 years.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 12:11.

News Comments > Close Combat Revisited
12. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2006, 12:06 MachineMk2

Frickin' sweet/

2. Re: 100gb 360 drive Oct 20, 2006, 11:45 MachineMk2

My understanding is the MS drive as a pretty high transfer rate. So, it's more than just a size/cost thing.

I do want that 100GB drive though. I haven't filled the 20GB...but the 100GB would be nice when XBOX Live starts delivering more HD content (mark my words!).

Also, Playstation Online? <snicker> Again, Sony seems to be telling gamers what they want instead of listening to gamers. Gamers want unified stats. And they don't want to go through Gamespy and Xfire. I guess they got the "free" part right...but you get what you pay for.

2. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2006, 11:14 MachineMk2

You know things are bad for PS3 when they're touting 30 multi-platform games.

News Comments > Postal III Announced
6. Re: Thank goodness Oct 19, 2006, 12:07 MachineMk2

There were some guilty pleasures to Postal 2. By far the worst part was were the load times and small areas.

Probably a 7 hour game that took 15 because of the loading.

News Comments > Postal 3 Details
12. Re: ayup Oct 18, 2006, 22:38 MachineMk2

No Postal Episodes?

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
115. Re: True.. Oct 18, 2006, 19:21 MachineMk2

I don't have a problem with a company, EA or otherwise, trying to make money. That's sort of the whole point. They aren't making games purely for YOUR enjoyment. Certainly, a good game will make them money.

I do, however, have a problem with data being recorded on my IP, or otherwise, for advertising purposes, without an option for me to opt out.

Needless to say, this is a trend in games I won't be actively supporting. So, no 2142 for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not avoiding the game for specifically this reason, the game generally doesn't interest me, and this is another reason not to buy it.

1. No subject Oct 17, 2006, 23:53 MachineMk2

So, are you going to get 25GB Blu-Ray of bloat-ware? Funny how nobody has come close to filling DVD's. Blu-Ray shows up and all of a suddent we're up to 50GB? Pfft.

1080p cutscenes don't make up for a crappy game.

9. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 17:15 MachineMk2

...AND if they had to get a second mortgage!

7. Re: PS3 Lineup Oct 11, 2006, 16:47 MachineMk2

I wonder if it's possible that the desire to own a PS3 just isn't that big.

Also, that picture is CRYING for a caption.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: News at Seven Oct 8, 2006, 14:29 MachineMk2

George Lucas AND Steve Jobs?

Yep. It's the apocalypse.

News Comments > BF2142 Demo Server
13. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2006, 14:27 MachineMk2

I actually enjoyed the heck out of BF:V. There were just moments that were really amusing...like being in a tank somebody picked up in a helo...then being dropped...rolling and seeing sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, NVA soldier, sky...

While I'm at it, I think the saddest thing was with all the Mod support that BF1942 got, EA should have just released the expansion kit maps to that community (they weren't selling 'em anyway). There were some great maps on there.

The one thing I hated about the entire BF series was having to dump a magazine into somebody to off 'em. Or even shooting at tanks 3 or 4 times with other tanks.

Ah...Forgotten Hope.

419 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo