Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Conan Cross-Platform Support; Early Access Sold Out
14. No subject May 15, 2008, 11:06 MMORPGHoD

I don't see this being a successful mix of PC and console players when the console players have no keyboard. I suppose they'll have to substitute integrated voice chat, but that's not going to be easy nor practical in all situations.

And I'd hope they'll leave the PC interface alone, making it custom to the PC and implementing a simple interface with no mouse on the console.

And then there's PVP, custom add-ons that are a must for success on the PC (couldn't imagine playing WoW without them), and whole host of other issues I'm sure they'll need to tackle if they really are serious about it going cross platform. They'd just better be careful they don't end up with a mediocre experience for both console and PC after compromises are made.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
28. Re: No subject May 14, 2008, 20:38 MMORPGHoD

Is the 80GB PS3 even available right now? All I saw on amazon.com was some outrageous prices for a PlayStation 3 80GB Motorstorm Pack. The 360 Elite was there for $425. Even sonystyle.com doesn't have it until June.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: No subject May 14, 2008, 12:58 MMORPGHoD

I'd love to see them try to extend it to 10 years. After 5 years, PCs will be making the consoles look like Atari 2600s.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Patch
4. Re: fixed DirectX 10.1 support May 13, 2008, 14:01 MMORPGHoD

Yeah, who needs to quit a game easily anyways. Just push the off button on your console, oops. I guess they forgot it's a PC.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Vista vs XP May 13, 2008, 08:42 MMORPGHoD

I don't really care about a 64-bit OS for gaming either.

From the 2GB vs 4GB article:

Our findings, based on nine game titles, have shown that 4GB of memory does offer framerate improvements over using 2GB of memory. The observed difference was so small it would be hard to notice while gaming. Synthetic testing was also a wash since 3DMark 2006 gained performance while 3DMark Vantage seemed to take a slight performance hit.

The difference in performance was negligible except for Crysis, which you should be more concerned with your video card performance anyways. Just as I thought, I can wait a while longer for Vista, 64-bit, and the reason for it: more than 2GB of memory.

This comment was edited on May 13, 08:43.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: PC Gamers shun vista May 12, 2008, 13:17 MMORPGHoD

Why do gamers upgrade their video cards? For performance and more eye candy. DX10 has been shown to provide neither. If a video card didn't give you faster framerates or a better graphical look, then you wouldn't waste money on it. It might make a developer's job easier and they might be able to provide a better product more quickly because of it, but at the end of the day it's what the end user sees that sells graphics. And DX10 is not selling. It also doesn't help that more developers are targeting consoles, which are easier to develop for. PC gaming is supposed to be where the best eye candy is at, yet MS is slow to capitalize on this. Why? They're too busy with the 360.

News Comments > Call of Duty 5 Revealed
28. Re: Guess I'm the only one who can read. May 9, 2008, 21:12 MMORPGHoD

But if it's coming out on all 4 platforms, and the PS2 and Wii are included in that, the other 2 platforms are the PS3 and 360.

Are you reading what I'm reading?

For Call of Duty, we値l bring the intensity of the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title to yet a new military theater, to engage our significantly larger user based, which nearly doubled last year as new users came into the franchise.

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008 plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii. We値l drive category sales of downloadable maps and enhanced Call of Duty 4 retail SKUs.

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008

That's participated in, as in past tense. What are the four they already participated in [CoD4]? Wikipedia lists Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Mac OS X for CoD4 (although I think DS should be there too.. naaah, it's not a real platform!). But this can't be, they must be including PS2 and Wii in that four! NO. If they did, then why specifically say:

plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii.

PLUS. PLUS meaning in addition or newly added. They didn't say "All four including.." They said all four, plus two. That's 4 + 2 = 6 platforms. And don't get hung up on Fiscal 2008 either, companies don't all start their fiscal years on the same month.

Edit: And just to add, wikipedia for CoD5 lists:

Call of Duty 5 will be the fifth installment of the series (ninth, counting expansion packs) and was confirmed on December 2, 2007.[4] It is expected to be released by the end of Activision's fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2009,[5] and will be available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, as well as on PlayStation 2 and PC

So I guess the Mac isn't a real platform. Of course, they're probably not counting the Mac because it won't be out until Fiscal 2010 ;).

This comment was edited on May 9, 21:19.

News Comments > Mass Effect/Spore DRM Changes
41. No subject May 9, 2008, 18:56 MMORPGHoD

For people like myself who are able to install a game, play it, finish it and never play it again.. it's not an issue (other than the slippery slope of increasing the hoops to jump through).

However, you can bet the forums will be overflowing with people who: install for the fist time, have a problem, and end up going through all kinds of trouble involving reinstalling the software to get it to run at all with their video card/sound card/MB+bios. There's going to be a period of time where the phone lines are flooded with calls trying to get extra activations because of this and people won't be able to get through right away. It's going to be chaos for them.. and the forum. Bioshock pretty much showed this.. and yet they're starting off with 3 activations.. lol.

23. Re: New Theater May 9, 2008, 15:52 MMORPGHoD

I suggest they go with the Hundred Years War. They'll really be able to milk that one.

13. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 12:31 MMORPGHoD

All 4 platforms and then some..

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008 plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii. We値l drive category sales of downloadable maps and enhanced Call of Duty 4 retail SKUs.

News Comments > Federal Video Game Bill
23. What's next May 7, 2008, 23:33 MMORPGHoD

Book em Danno, purchasing a GTA4 for a minor.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. No subject May 5, 2008, 12:24 MMORPGHoD

Bah, it's not as much politics as it is about people who have never played a video game commenting on video gaming. It's just a basic disconnect where they can't relate, their ignorance takes over their logic, and their imaginations run wild.

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
22. lols Apr 30, 2008, 10:50 MMORPGHoD

Weren't these the guys who were raided for having pirated development tools?

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 10:55.

News Comments > Mass Effect Preorders
5. Re: Hmmm Apr 29, 2008, 14:51 MMORPGHoD

gogamer.com actually has it slightly cheaper, don't they?

They have it for $37.90. With other games in the queue, I don't plan on pre-ordering. I'll probably pick it up at some point when gogamer has a deal and I've seen the reviews. Still, while the news isn't that interesting to me, it's nice to see gogamer get some press instead of just gamestop.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 14:52.

News Comments > DNF Sighting
27. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 14:25 MMORPGHoD

If they're not full of crap and we are to believe the game is actually playable, they'd better release it this year or else they'll need another engine update...

News Comments > Mass Effect Preorders
1. Hmmm Apr 29, 2008, 14:21 MMORPGHoD

Nice to see they mention gogamer.com.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Postmortem
11. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2008, 09:32 MMORPGHoD

EDIT: But of course this is "Blues News" where everyone is master expert ninja cynics and doomsayers who simply draw conclusions by reading headlines.

Yeah, we're just being being negative. Closing down servers doesn't mean a thing. I draw my conclusions from facts, not fanbois.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 09:32.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: DirectX Cut Patch Plans
16. No subject Apr 22, 2008, 12:42 MMORPGHoD

So, is DX10.1 as visually indistinguishable from DX9 as DX10 is?

News Comments > No Fallout 3 Demo
39. No subject Apr 22, 2008, 00:00 MMORPGHoD

They don't believe they need to make a demo to make money. And they're right. Especially with this easy to please console market.

News Comments > Sims Ahoy
5. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 20:18 MMORPGHoD

With all these Sim games they've thrown out everything but the kitchen sink.

n/m, looks like they have that covered too.

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo