Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
26. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2008, 15:51 MMORPGHoD

D2 is $20 at buy.com, $4 shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/diablo-2/q/loc/108/202216487.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 1, 2008, 14:18 MMORPGHoD

Doesn't matter if it's a review or a preview if they plan to release this in another month and the problems with it were more content/story than technical/bugs. It won't change much between now and the official released version. You need more than a month to address that.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 14:20.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 1, 2008, 12:30 MMORPGHoD

Silicon Knights seems to have lost their mojo after Eternal Darkness.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Hammond Jul 1, 2008, 00:24 MMORPGHoD

Aw no.. terrible news. That hurts. Always enjoyed watching him as Gen Hammond.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2008, 16:28 MMORPGHoD

Diablo FPS? *shadowrun flashback* umm, no thank you.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2008, 13:59 MMORPGHoD

Suppressive fire was very effective in WWIIOL. Not just because of one shot one kill, but because if you did die you'd have to haul ass all the way back to the battlefield again. I recall having to use ground cover / trees / buildings at all times and moving while prone was a given.

There's little reason to be careful when you can respawn instantly nearby.

News Comments > Diablo III Announced
171. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2008, 11:46 MMORPGHoD

You're just trolling at this point.

I dont hvae the same opinion as you do, so I am troll?
Nice presentation of ignorance!

Please, from your first post you've been acting like an ass when there was no cause for it. You didn't just state your opinion, you walked into the Diablo party and starting pissing immediately.

1. Diablo 1 & 2 were awesome games. They were the only ones from all those I personally liked. They were also the only ones in that list that were made by Blizzard North. Notice something?

Come on, such reverence for D1/2 and you can't even act halfway respectful for the next installment one of the few companies left with the resources to have a chance at meeting expectations?

2. A few Blizzard North employees went to that deveolper, a few to this, and a few to another, etc. So, Mr. Smartass, why do you judge games that only have maybe 1/5 at most of the old team? I could understand it if they all went to the same developer, but Jesus... do you actually think about anything before you write it down?

Yeah, I think quite a bit actually. I'm a developer who has also experienced walking into existing product line, learning from those with the knowledge, and have taken over where they left off. Just being able to look at existing code and familiarizing yourself with it can improve your skill if you have the drive. With a little guidance the new guys can do a good job, sometimes even better with the improvement of tools. The old crew might even tail off in their work and their focus, because they're burnt out or become less involved due to making it big. I don't personally know each of the existing development team members, but a company like Blizzard doesn't get where they are without refreshing their existing talent to keep them there. I think Jay Wilson hasn't ignored the greatness of D1/D2 and knows what we expect of him.

http://kotaku.com/5020721/the-man-behind-diablo-iii-talks-plot-lore-and-battlenet

One thing is for sure, it won't be rushed out the door due to a lack of funds.

Where did I say that? I liked quite a few. The newer ones (TitanQuest & Sacred) didnt have good enough atmosphere for my taste (mostly because of the dull story), but before that there were a lot that were nice. Nox or Mana for example and even Dungeon Siege, which graphics produced an awesome atmosphere, even though the story was horrible.

I assumed your comment of even more dumbed down game play was a dig at hack & slash games in general. The Diablo story was nothing to write home about. The focus on simple gameplay/good graphics/multi-player made for some mindless fun. TQ/DS attempted to use that formula with limited success, but both left me wanting to play another, newer Diablo.

And thats where we are different. I loved Diablo 1 & 2 like my own child (note, they were done by Blizzard North, not Blizzard). But I hated the Warcraft & Starcraft-Series incl. WoW (even though I played it for a while, because I too was impressed by the innovative quest driven gameplay).
But if you have at least a little experience in WoW, you should have noticed how it gets worse and worse. Their devs dont know the meaning of balance anymore, PvE is nonsense right now because you get better items faster if you PvP, etc. They made so many horrible decisions the last few years, even SOE are angels compared to them.

Maybe if that paragraph was your first post, some of us would have reacted differently. I have a level 70 Priest on a WoW PvP server and know about the WoW end game and the drop off in interest. I've lost interest in it, but I still see it as a impressive game that was basically existing ideas done right. If I play it again, it'll just be for a time after each expansion, because I refuse to grind for items at the cap. You can get better items if you just play for a month or two after each expansion. The first week of BC gave me items that were better than most of those level 60 dungeon raids people spent their lives on. I agree that's no fun.

Since D3 isn't going to be MMORPG, they don't need to pattern the gameplay after WoW. That would be a mistake. I believe that Blizzard knows this and they will that the best ideas of hack & slash games and make D3 another hit, while staying true to the hack & slash gameplay.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 11:58.

149. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 16:53 MMORPGHoD

He was being sarcastic dude.

Too bad he wasn't when he was talking about WoW, because his money arguments starts to suck donkey balls when he brings up the beatles for comparison purposes. I guess he has a different measure of success for MMORPGs than he does for music (record sales vs subscriptions). Personally I don't like the beatles at all (just a group that happened to be around at the right time), together or apart.

If you're going to be skeptical about Blizzard, then you should be skeptical about any active PC developer in existence today. I have alot more faith in Blizzard than I do Valve, a company that's made fewer games, some of which I didn't care for or bother to finish (Episode One). Blizzard has never made a game I didn't like and has yet to disappoint.

131. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 09:35 MMORPGHoD

Yeah it has the same sound effects. That truly makes it Diablo. ROFL... Do you actually notice how stupid you sound?

I'm noticing how stupid you sound. You're just trolling at this point. What the hell are you doing in a Diablo thread debating a Diablo game when you don't seem to like hack & slash? Guess what? Diablo is a hack & slash game. Some people actually still like hack & slash games, which have been poor quality lately.

And all this crap about Blizzard? Everything they've put out (WC2, Diablo, StarCraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, WoW) has been a enjoyable, successful game. Not the same developers? I personally wasn't impressed with Guild Wars and Hellgate was a complete failure. So much for those ex-blizzard developers.

Just as Blizzard made World of Warcraft a combination of the best in MMORPG gaming at the time, I expect Blizzard to do the same with Diablo 3 (the best of hack & slash). This is a company with virtually unlimited resources that still focuses on PC gaming and hasn't made a title I didn't like. Those are the only facts I care about, until the game is ready. Sorry if we're giving them the benefit of the doubt right now.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 09:50.

58. No subject Jun 28, 2008, 14:12 MMORPGHoD

Who cares if some people aren't looking forward to Diablo 3. It happens. Not everyone likes the same games. Let them post and move on to something they do enjoy rather than try to convince them otherwise and dirty up this thread.

This one won't need much convincing to get alot of people to buy it.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 14:15.

46. No subject Jun 28, 2008, 12:52 MMORPGHoD

Now we can finally silence the "it's not Diablo 3" heathens!

Yes, it really is Diablo 3. No, it isn't april 1st. It happens to be almost 8 years to the day Diablo 2 was released.

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
31. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 19:31 MMORPGHoD

GTA3, GTA VC, GTA SA and soon to be GTA4.

Ah yea, GTA would be one. Wiki has Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold 21.5 million units according to Take-Two Interactive.

Not bad Crytek, you tied San Andreas if you count the pirates! Amazing 20 million machines were able to run Crysis. Or maybe, 10 million found out that it ran like crap on their machine.

And yea, I'm being mostly sarcastic here. They're full of crap. It's just fun to actually run with these facts and extrapolate.

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
27. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 19:15 MMORPGHoD

Wow. 15 million or 20 million copies stolen? Has any title on any single platform ever sold that many copies? Man, that potential PC market is huuuge.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: AMD bests Nvidia Jun 27, 2008, 16:00 MMORPGHoD

And the only thing forcing them to lower the price point right now is ATI. All things being equal, I'd be more inclined to give ATI my graphics card money just to insure they continue to do battle with NVIDIA. NVIDIA is getting scary right now with their high end pricing and policy with newegg (and others) regarding sale price disclosures.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 16:00.

20. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 15:57 MMORPGHoD

How about a top layer of foam?

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Better-2-Inch-Elastic-Mattress/dp/B000A8BU2Y/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1214596519&sr=8-3

Cheaper and you get some of the benefits, along with your existing firm mattress as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Wow is right. Jun 27, 2008, 15:50 MMORPGHoD

Shut down the PC and open a book.

Sounds like advice that should have been given to the author of the article in question. It's a video game. If you don't accept that, then how's this:

The victors get to write history.. and the video games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: AMD bests Nvidia Jun 27, 2008, 12:50 MMORPGHoD

I expected ATI to fall behind after the acquisition by AMD. I think NVIDIA did too because of their new stupid pricing policy (thinking they can get away with it). I'm glad to see competition is still alive and I'll be seriously considering ATI for my next graphics card upgrade.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 12:50.

7. Re: blizzard splash Jun 27, 2008, 11:44 MMORPGHoD

Im 100% convinced that the blizzard splash is a teaser to an announcement regarding the release date for WOTLK at the WWI. Those that rumored that diablo 3 will be announced at the World Wide Invitational were incorrect. ah well.

100% eh? Oh ye of little faith.

38. W T F ? ? Jun 26, 2008, 20:52 MMORPGHoD

Drudge headline.

NO ICE AT NORTH POLE THIS SUMMER

Is this true or is this more hyped up junk? Holy crap. Someone with some North Pole knowledge here care to comment???

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 20:54.

21. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 15:42 MMORPGHoD

I bet alot of the guns used in crimes in D.C. are unregistered and illegally owned now anyways. The law wouldn't solve the problem.

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo