Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2008, 11:40 MMORPGHoD

GoW would have been meh to me, if it weren't for the online coop support. That's what made it stand out for me.

It's sad when you have to go to an obvious console port on the PC to be able to experience coop in a FPS these days.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 11:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Good Old Games Q&As
5. Re: So HOUD but not free? Jul 11, 2008, 11:35 MMORPGHoD

Publishers/devs will rarely if ever provide the source code. They'd rather keep the IP locked up for the possibility that there will be a interest in it someday.

I like this idea, although I don't know if I'd use such a service much. I suppose I might if I didn't get a chance to grab it from a gogamer sale and it's not too old. Something like Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines would be the kind of title that would be a good fit for this. After seeing all the patching still taking place, I picked it up from ebay. I didn't see if offered anywhere else.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 12:39.

6. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 11:12 MMORPGHoD

They've gotta do this to keep that Duke name recognition alive. DN3D was released 11 years ago....

News Comments > Hellgate: London Patch Tomorrow
18. Re: Who Cares? Jul 9, 2008, 10:43 MMORPGHoD

It really doesn't matter how good Hellgate is now. Its time for success has passed. There won't be enough people giving this a second chance. I won't give it a first chance and would rather see their two tiered pay system fail. I'll wait for D3 if I want to get into action RPGs again.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
28. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 19:15 MMORPGHoD

Unless they changed in the last month alone, the Montrose, Ohio Best Buy had ~12 SDTVs on display.

Oooh, that's where they all went :P.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 19:16.

25. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 18:34 MMORPGHoD

I can sympathize. Expecting Comcast to be...uh, 'generous' and just give these things to customers. I'd be beyond pissed off if they expect me to pay for one when they're already gouging on cable TV. They're probably aware of that though.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6573422.html

That's what they'll likely provide for your cable-ready TVs. Going to need a remote for them too, from what I heard, though they don't include TV Guide programming information like a cable box.

Due to the lack of a guide, that supposedly lit a fire under their ass for eliminating the digital channel seek delay. Hopefully it's true.

I'm just going to wait and see at this point. According to Time Warner cable, their analog cable users are unaffected.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/products/cable/dtv/default.html

But it sounds like different providers are handling this in different ways. If I lose cable TV in Feb, I'll get over it.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 18:37.

24. Re: HD TV popularity Jul 8, 2008, 18:21 MMORPGHoD

What stores have you been shopping in because Best Buy most certainly still sells SDTV.

What BB have you been shopping in, because the ones around here (we have 3 of them) don't.

Yep. They don't want to waste valuable floor space with the old standard definition relics. And you know SDTV is a goner when you need to dig just to find a couple of them on amazon, best buy, or any other major online store. I can see why, with the price trends the way they are and this DTV push (which is convenient excuse to actually turn it into a HDTV push), but it was amazing to see how quick SDTVs disappeared.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 18:27.

21. Re: HD TV popularity Jul 8, 2008, 17:16 MMORPGHoD

What stores have you been shopping in because Best Buy most certainly still sells SDTV.

Show me. What other than these?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=abcat0101006

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 17:16.

19. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 16:55 MMORPGHoD

They will accommodate analog customers. They're going to give (or sell, ugh) a digital-to-analog converter that screws into the back of a cable-ready TV, right at the base, with an IR sensor that snakes around to the front so you can use a remote to use it.

And if you have a cable box already, chances are it's digital and you won't even notice the change.

I've got 4 analog TVs that are currently being plugged directly via coax cable. I know I won't be renting boxes from my cable company. I thought there'd be a coupon eligible digital converter box would also take care of analog cable, but it doesn't look like it yet. They're strictly for over the air conversions.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 16:55.

17. Re: HD TV popularity Jul 8, 2008, 15:32 MMORPGHoD

It's true that all digital TVs are not HDTVs. All HDTVs are digital TVs and they are everywhere. Stores no longer carry anything but HDTVs. Plain digital TVs are a rarity. Luckily HDTV pricing is dropping like a rock.

News Comments > Mark Rein Q&A
12. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 14:11 MMORPGHoD

DOH! Now you've done it!

I don't recall seeing console-only development being specifically stated either. He's probably remembering CliffyB's statement about "making AAA games on consoles" being the focus and taking that to mean console-only development.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/13/gears-of-war-creator-update/

Saying it's console-only is misstating the original comment. However the statement does imply that PC playing second fiddle will result in future Epic PC titles looking more like a console port with the consolitis that goes along with it rather than something that was designed to match the full potential of PCs (and the graphics/CPU power that has already surpassed that of current generation consoles). Not to mention the large font UI, poor control, and other tell tale signs that your game was a poorly implemented port...

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 14:13.

15. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 13:39 MMORPGHoD

Bottom line, it's not at all clear.

http://dtvfacts.com/latest/164/2-key-digital-tv-issues-remain-unsettled/

and more recently this..

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Joins-Others-In-Ditching-Analog-95410

What will happen next is anyone's guess. I can't believe cable companies won't try to accommodate analog cable customers... not with the option of satellite out there.

13. Re: HD TV popularity Jul 8, 2008, 13:32 MMORPGHoD

In the US, it's difficult these days to find a small standard def tube tv in the store that you could pick up for $50-$100. They've been phased out. It's almost all digital, flat screen, and of course more expensive.

News Comments > Mark Rein Q&A
9. The future Jul 8, 2008, 12:40 MMORPGHoD

The future doesn't look so good for free content. Especially, when they now have the ability to tightly control distribution of that once free content on consoles. Free content and free mods that are worth downloading will be a thing of the past if they aren't already. Luckily I had my fill of mods and don't really care about them anymore.

8. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 12:33 MMORPGHoD

A little known side effect of this new legislation is that it gives the option of the cable company to drop the analog cable signal and force you to upgrade to digital. There is some potential for disruption of service for certain channels, depending on if agreements between the cable operator and the broadcaster being reached. It's going to be interesting with 40+ million cable customers without digital.

6. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 11:54 MMORPGHoD

Standard TV (analog cable) signals suck when displayed on a digital TV. Too many cable companies are behind in offering digital for all channels. I'd probably go satellite if I didn't have 5 TVs and all the headaches and fees that go with getting sat programming to them.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 11:55.

News Comments > On Infinity Ward's Future
2. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2008, 16:20 MMORPGHoD

CoD4 was one of the most successful CoD titles on the PC and other platforms, port or no port. Gamerankings gave it a 92% for the PC. CoD3 on the other hand wasn't that good and wasn't ported, although IW didn't make that one.

Still new IP is a good thing and I'll probably be buying whatever IW makes.

7. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 12:18 MMORPGHoD

28 million units sold worldwide so far is a pretty nice gimmick. Personally, I see the DS as more of a gimmick, but that's just because I don't game on the go. If I did, I'd probably bring my laptop. Of course, the DS owns the Japanese market and has sold 74 million units worldwide, which hardly qualifies as a fad or a gimmick people wise up about and stop buying.

'Hardcore' gaming with full blown graphics, physics, AI and all the bells and whistles is in the minority. The real money is in causal gaming and that means the Wii isn't going away anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 12:20.

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
28. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2008, 15:56 MMORPGHoD

At the Bliz store, the digital download is $20, with no tax or shipping and you can have it in 30-45 minutes.

Hmm.. decent. The only other deal I see is diablo battlechest at gogamer.com for $32.80.

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo