Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Intel: Ray Traced "Something" in 2-3 Years
8. Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 13:42 MMORPGHoD

The advantage of raytracing is that, compared to standard raster graphics, raytracing is massively parallelizable.

Dividing a standard multipass polygon based rendering system across multiple processor cores is very VERY difficult.

The people who do it well charge a fortune for their products, and rightly so.

With raytracing you can very literally divide the scene up into sections, and distribute those segments amongst the cores. They're discrete chunks, each with a pointer to the scene description.

This makes raytracing something that'll be much easier to do in the near future and strongly supports Intel's "more cores" architecture drive, vs AMD's focus on "better cores".

Very interesting indeed. Sounds like it's going to be the future if we've hit the MHz/GHz wall on processors and Intel/AMD/NVIDIA continue down the multi-core path. Almost tempted to play around with some ray tracing code to check it out.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 13:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warhammer Online System Specs
1. Ha Jul 31, 2008, 11:05 MMORPGHoD

An extra gig for Vista.

News Comments > On EA's Take-Two Takeover Bids
7. No subject Jul 30, 2008, 23:03 MMORPGHoD

LoL, how many older franchises has EA let fade into oblivion? I've lost count.

Abandoning the Dungeon Keeper franchise was unforgivable. And their response to a fan request to allow a D3 DK mod was typical EA:

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/dungeon-keeper-iii

They don't use IPs. They just hold them so no one else can.

News Comments > Google Ad Sense for Games
2. Hey Jul 30, 2008, 14:49 MMORPGHoD

Maybe they can sample general chat in WoW for some Ads! Lulz.

News Comments > Eventual Microtransactions in Spore?
20. Pokemon Jul 30, 2008, 11:02 MMORPGHoD

After watching the original video of spore and then seeing the recent screenshots, I didn't like the direction it seemed to be taking. This [massive merchandising] only reinforces what I was already thinking.

Spore == Pokemon Creator

The idea of the game sounded great, but I think we're going to be disappointed with what we actually get. Gotta catch em all!

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 11:04.

News Comments > Ghostbusters Slimed?
12. Re: No. Jul 29, 2008, 13:32 MMORPGHoD

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53905

The panic began yesterday as the newly-formed Activision Blizzard revealed that it would only be publishing five Sierra projects--Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Ice Age, Prototype and an unannounced title--under the Activision Publishing label.

"We are reviewing our options regarding those titles that we will not be publishing," stated Activision Blizzard.

Since Blizzact isn't publishing Ghostbusters, that leaves only one question...

Who they gonna call?

News Comments > Star Trek Online Revelations
14. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:37 MMORPGHoD

The last ST console port was Star Trek: Legacy. Not a good sign for a franchise that doesn't "dumb down" well.

News Comments > Bungie: "Three Distinct Projects Underway"
22. No subject Jul 25, 2008, 18:20 MMORPGHoD

Myth IV !

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: No subject Jul 24, 2008, 20:16 MMORPGHoD

That is a surprise that DVD purchases are so much higher than rental dollars.

Is it really? I'm not surprised at all.

Why pay to rent a DVD when you can probably buy it to keep forever for not much more money, maybe even for the same price depending on the sale? Walmart, amazon, and other stores have DVDs dirt cheap. DVD movies make for simple, yet good gift ideas too. And with a decent DVD player with upconvert technology, it's perfectly acceptable for most people to keep on buying DVDs for their favorite movies or TV shows. Of course, I have a pile of DVD movies I received as gifts that I haven't even bothered to open yet. I haven't gone to a rental place in a long time. It's also amazing how quick movies come out on DVD these days.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 20:19.

News Comments > Age of Conan Patch Plans
2. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 10:56 MMORPGHoD

If I decide to try out this game, when would you suggest I do so? If we are to believe that "big update" is coming, would trying it after the update be the time? Or is this thing still too messed up to think about playing?

News Comments > DirectX 11 Announced, Compatible with DirectX 10 Hardware
43. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 20:29 MMORPGHoD

I have a hard time believing there is a 50% performance decrease from xp to vista. A least be realistic, i don't even have vista, my roommate does, but based on the benchmarks, its at most 10% and even that's high. as a previous poster stated show the numbers if your gonna make outrageous claims

A new OS isn't supposed to be only as good as what you're currently using. It is supposed to be better. That's right, it's supposed to be enough of an improvement so you'd want to take the time to upgrade. Otherwise, why bother, unless the PC already comes with it installed?

Going from Windows 3.11 to 95, I certainly did do the upgrade. 95 to 98, yup still have the upgrade CD. 98 to ME, no way. I used NT 4.0 for development, then upgraded to 2000 for deveopment purposes. XP? Yes for gaming after XP SP1, much more stable than 98, which was the last gaming OS (2000 was never intended as to be a gaming OS by MS). XP to Vista, only if it was already installed on a new PC. I haven't been this unenthusiastic about upgrading since Windows ME. Vista isn't ME, but it's not as interesting as almost any of the other upgrades either.

News Comments > DirectX 11 Announced, Compatible with DirectX 10 Hardware
17. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 18:59 MMORPGHoD

Why upgrade a gaming PC to Vista? DX10? lulz. Performance? Same as XP at best (ignoring the ongoing driver/compatibility issues with certain games) and a larger memory footprint. Yeah, why not go through all the hassles of upgrading when you get almost nothing for it. Makes no sense.

I have Vista on a laptop thank you very much, only because it's brand new. Vista is nothing special and the security enhancements (UAC) are an annoyance for anyone doing development work. It's the first thing I turned off. Hopefully it'll keep more PC newbies from getting hacked, otherwise I don't need it.

When I put together my next PC, I'll use Vista or Windows 7 if it's out. Until then, there's nothing compelling enough to go through the work of upgrading an existing XP system. It's just that simple.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 19:04.

News Comments > Games for Windows Marketplace Coming, LIVE Gold Fees Going
2. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 16:11 MMORPGHoD

I'm surprised that MS actually did something. Dropping the subscription fee might actually make it worth looking at.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Ah Chi Wa Wa Jul 21, 2008, 16:02 MMORPGHoD

The FDA has found salmonella bacteria on jalapeno peppers imported from Mexico, sources in the industry tell CNN.

News Comments > Mythos Beta Closes
7. Re: No subject Jul 21, 2008, 14:11 MMORPGHoD

So in hindsight it sounds like it would have been better for them if they focused on and released Mythos before doing anything else.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 14:11.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 MMORPGHoD

Seconded.

Touch screens aren't going to replace mice on desktops and I don't see myself using a touch screen on a laptop. Imagine eating Doritos and using your 24" LCD touch screen for a day. Mobile devices with touch screens, sure. Trying to use something like that in a FPS? Not gonna happen.

That SpaceNavigator is similar to the SpaceOrb 360, which was also originally for CAD use and never caught on for anything else (although I did find it handy in games).

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 11:51.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2008, Part 13
5. Re: Jul 18, 2008, 15:23 MMORPGHoD

West coast is the center of the universe when it comes to the game industry. How would moving it to NY do anything positive to the whole thing?

Because it would make it easier for Blue to go. Everyone knows that BN is the center of the PC gaming universe.

News Comments > Mythos and Hellgate Forums Close
21. Re: Or maybe... Jul 18, 2008, 12:44 MMORPGHoD

Sounds like a new game. Where in the world is Roper?

18. Re: Here nin Jul 18, 2008, 11:42 MMORPGHoD

Lol, stick a couple founders/employees in the water and it's gold! Or maybe some phat lewt in the boat, hehe.

16. Re: I love... Jul 18, 2008, 11:31 MMORPGHoD

Yeah, I was just about to post that one. They're talking about it here too (nice flame fest when ranknoob joins in):

http://www.flagshipped.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=310&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

English is not his primary language.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 11:34.

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo