Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 2 System Requirements
10. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 11:00 MMORPGHoD

I have heard conflicting reports about what engine this game uses. Is it the Crysis engine?

It's called the Dunia engine and supposedly it is using only 2-3% of the original CryEngine code base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2#Engine

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 11:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Vehicle Combat Coming
2. Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 10:09 MMORPGHoD

SWG: Luke, help me take these servers offline.
Luke: But you'll die.
SWG: Nothing can stop that now.

News Comments > Warner: Music Games Must Pay More
18. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 15:01 MMORPGHoD

When Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock was released, Dragonforce's album featuring Through the Fire and the Flames saw an almost instantaneous 126% increase in sales.
That means they doubled and then some.
That's how many years after the original release????

That's the problem when you have people in charge who have no idea what they have there. The irony is their own greed will actually result in them making less money.

News Comments > Ubisoft Sues over Assassin's Creed Leak
63. Re: Something seems wrong... Aug 7, 2008, 14:05 MMORPGHoD

Add Titan Quest to that list.

When Iron Lore closed down they blamed piracy. They also introduced an intentional bug that caused a crash if the software received indications it was pirated.

44. Sales of AC Aug 7, 2008, 11:21 MMORPGHoD

According to this, 1.87 million units sold for the 360 in 07.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080117-nintendo-tops-07-sales-numbers-in-industrys-best-year-ever.html

I'd like to know if that 40k June figure included steam/gametap/direct2drive.

36. No subject Aug 7, 2008, 11:01 MMORPGHoD

OK, so we have:

(1) 40k copies sold in US through June.
(2) 700k copies allegedly downloaded. I wonder how many were US.
(3) Intentional bugs, not a good idea. See TQ.

The BN buz on AC was meh, so I find it hard to believe there would have been 700k + 40k units sold. The PC market is supposed to be so much smaller than the console market for a given game, yet now there is this 700k user market (of people who had the higher end hardware to run this?).. except they don't pay for it. It just doesn't jive to me, but assume it's true. Would they have ever paid $60 for it if it wasn't pirated? I doubt it. So many other games out there. BTW: gogamer now has the PC version for 50% off (out of stock).. and the console versions are cheaper than I've ever seen them.

Still, since they can't stop piracy, we might as well just fast forward to where they stop making these console ports to the PC. If we find these 'facts' hard to believe, then they sure as hell aren't going to convince downloaders to stop downloading these games. I just wish publishers took a better look at situations like Savage 2, where a low price point does make a big difference.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 11:10.

News Comments > NVIDIA PhysX Previews
32. Re: ... Aug 6, 2008, 23:28 MMORPGHoD

As for adoption: nVidia sponsors a lot of games so it wouldn't surprise me if they offered a bit more money to developers to incorporate PhysX into their games; they're a big player and if anyone can get hardware accelerated physics of the ground it's them.

I guess time will tell, but I don't have alot of confidence in NVIDIA funding games to the degree of developers creating their games around hardware accelerated physics. The problem is designing the game in a way that's still functional for non-hardware accelerated users, yet sufficiently beneficial for those who have hardware accelerated physics (i.e. not just a gimmick). Narrow the customer base too much and you end up in the same boat as the Vista only games (and those games also had ATI support!).

I'd like to think we all want the same thing, better PC centric games and more of them. Who makes that happen makes no difference to me, but I'm not holding my breath.

29. Re: ... Aug 6, 2008, 20:56 MMORPGHoD

f you developed half the balls I have, maybe you would admit that you contradicted yourself instead of crying fanboy as your argument.

What? That 6 months ago I thought the ATI acquisition by AMD was a bad idea, the PhysX purchase made more sense and now I think PhysX is staying a gimmick if limited to NVIDIA cards? What, NVIDIA can't make money on PhysX unless they're the only hardware using it? I don't believe that. How about NVIDIA owns PhysX, ATI licenses it, and gamers actually get more PhysX games? Nah, let's just wait for developers to make those NVIDIA only PhysX games in a market that's already considered by them to be too small to support compared to consoles.

Balls like you have? LOL, internet tough guy. Being an asshole on an internet gaming forum has nothing to do with balls. Just ask Nuclear Watchdog. Take bats advice and CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

24. Re: ... Aug 6, 2008, 18:59 MMORPGHoD

Right now PhysX isn't much more than a gimmick and it'll probably stay that way if everyone has different APIs for physics

If it's just a gimmick, then why do you want it on ATI?

Maybe because if it's supported by both ATI/NVIDIA, developers would be more likely to fully support it and add real features instead of something that looks like a gimmick. Otherwise, there's a good chance they won't even bother, as previously said. A standardized physics API that everyone can settle on would be a good thing for the future of PC gaming. We don't need another niche in the PC gaming market.

now developers can actually support it since most of the existing install base from series 8 up will now have the ability to make use of the features

That "existing install base" is smaller than the install base for DX10, because it would not include the ATI install base. We've already seen how long it took developers to bother supporting DX10.

MMORPGHoD -Hmm.. interesting move. Should be a better result than the AMD/ATi aquisition....The AMD/ATI is in the loser ballbark.

That was from the thread back in February. Now he says it's a gimmick, because he wants the new ATI card because it's faster.
Trying to put a negative spin on it just screams ATI jealousy.

Wow, digging back 6 months in post history to save face from insisting ATI owned Havok or did I insult another one of your prized possessions? I'll add NVIDIA to the list of things to avoid discussing with you in addition to steam and PS3. You become too much of a rabid fanboy when it comes to things you have a personal attachment to. I'll just leave the rest of the people you're flaming keep you busy.

And for the record, I still believe the ATI acquistion was a loser deal for AMD. AMD was distracted and is now hurting from it. Do I want to see AMD/ATI fall behind and watch Intel and NVIDIA ratchet prices up? Of course not. I was pleasantly surprised to see that ATI is still very competitive in spite of it. And we can thank ATI The recent price drops of NVIDIA cards.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 19:03.

7. Re: Nice Aug 6, 2008, 16:31 MMORPGHoD

a) nVidia owns PhysX, this WILL NOT be "ported" to ATI cards.

Already was, unofficially.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati,5764.html

b) ATI owns Havok. You would have to contact them with regards to doing something similar

Actually, Intel owns Havok.

ATI has the better card at the moment and a better price point. Right now PhysX isn't much more than a gimmick and it'll probably stay that way if everyone has different APIs for physics, making it more difficult for devs who already are focused on games for standardized console hardware.

1. Nice Aug 6, 2008, 15:28 MMORPGHoD

Too bad my 7800GTX won't work with it. Given the price gouging NVIDIA has recently done, I'm still partial to ATI. If this gets ported to ATI cards, there will will be no question which card I'll be picking up next.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2008, 14:32 MMORPGHoD

My favorite is..

"It's a miracle!" McKinney repeatedly shouted Tuesday when she saw the cloned Boogers for which she paid $50,000.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 14:32.

News Comments > id Software Interview
11. Re: OK read.. Aug 6, 2008, 12:25 MMORPGHoD

In the 90s you had pirate BBSs. The piracy wasn't on the same scale, but neither was the volume of copies sold as today. The PC market of today is much larger, with the WoW install base alone being many times larger than the 90s market. AAA titles cost alot more to develop today and the game companies are much larger, so it's not easy to do a direct comparison.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. And.. Aug 5, 2008, 14:39 MMORPGHoD

we're really back now.

edit: well, mostly back. Don't see comment counts increasing..

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 14:41.

News Comments > Buy MMOG Levels
4. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2008, 14:16 MMORPGHoD

*CHA-CHING*

*DING*

Gratz!

It's the journey, not the destination that makes it fun. Just ask all those peeps who quit MMOGs after reaching max level.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky System Requirements
9. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2008, 13:48 MMORPGHoD

Although, these are for PC's. Do they really need to list the Keyboard and mouse as a requirement?!

Unfortunately, yes they do... ever since games like RE4 for the PC got released with no mouse support, heh.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 13:48.

News Comments > Devil May Cry 4 Cries Piracy
62. Re: BS Aug 1, 2008, 13:11 MMORPGHoD

I get what you're saying but look at the Wii as an example, there is no way pirates make up even 1 in every 100 people on that system. I think you're over estimating the market itself, the people who just pick one up based on Mario or whatever they saw on TV. People like you and me who are familiar with these things are actually pretty rare in comparison to the installed customer base.

Well absolutely the install base of the Wii makes whatever piracy might exist a drop in the bucket (BTW: I did know people that had a modded gamecubes). I own a Wii and never thought about trying to mod it (hardly enough games to even buy, let alone copy). It's a low cost to own and I currently don't have a HDTV. The games are pretty cheap too, with good deals on amazon. Better anti-piracy system than the 360? Lower cost, lowering need to pirate? Or just a different segment of people who drown out those who could mod? Probably mostly the segment of people drowning out the piracy, which comes when you have something at such a low cost :).

A closed platform provides more control was my point, not total control. As opposed to an open platform where you have little to none which is pretty much what the PC platform is these days - an open platform that's very hard to predict.

Yes, total control is useful, but demand can be an big factor in overcoming that control. Look at the DS. I understand you can get flash devices to be programmed with a bunch of pirated games fairly easily (read an article just the other day about it). That's a closed system, but it's a very popular closed system. Even more popular than the Wii in sales I believe. Of course, like the Wii the market of legit customer is huge compared to the piracy (at least I assume so.. never used a nintendo DS). Still, Nintendo just joined a coalition to fight DS game piracy. It would be interesting to see stats on Wii/DS piracy.

Personally I think the open hardware of the PC is more of a contributor to the ugliness of the maintenance aspects of said PC software that plagues developers, because you're dealing with man hours to appease your legitimate customers and their numerous hardware combinations. The consoles make it much easier with the standardized hardware you can develop for. To me, the piracy excuse is just a cop out. Those developers can't ignore the benefits (easier to develop for, huge potential customer base, higher margins on games, big pockets of console makers to get you to be exclusive). They were going to focus on consoles whether the pirates were around or not.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 13:17.

56. Re: BS Aug 1, 2008, 12:38 MMORPGHoD

The benefit of the console is that it's a closed hardware platform and piracy is much easier to control. Most people who purchase a console aren't familiar enough with electronics to open them up and solder a modchip on there. There's also the risk of losing your multiplayer account if you use softmod exploits. Piracy is still definitely an issue on consoles, especially with the handhelds but they have much more control than they do on the PC which is an open platform.

I think you either underestimate the capabilities of the pirates or overestimate the difficulty of console piracy. One of the reasons the console market is more popular is because of the need to be more tech savvy to play a game. Those PC gamer game downloaders I'm sure are more than capable of doing google searches to find mods/tips and even some that don't require any soddering. Heck, there's actually a market for pirates to make money in selling their kits, complete with tools. A closed system doesn't stay closed to the pirates, especially when they can make a buck as opposed in addtion to doing it for the challenge. My point is you're just going to shift that number (whatever it is) over other gaming platforms. PC might be the path of least resistance, but eliminate that path and someone else becomes the new path of least resistance. $60 games? Hah. Luckily the console market can more easily absorb those PC pirate refugees.

And BTW, it's already been said that the single player game piracy is the biggie on the PC (mp has online database checking) and the same can be said for the consoles where the mods will be used primarily for single player games on the console.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 12:42.

51. Re: BS Aug 1, 2008, 12:28 MMORPGHoD

I don't feel that the test drive for that BMW was extensive enough, I shall take it for a spin on my own for 45 minutes without the dealer knowing. What do you mean STOLEN officer? STOLEN?! I WAS MERELY BORROWING IT TO DETERMINE IF I WANTED TO PURCHASE IT!

So you can compare a BMW to a license to use a game, but you can't compare the game with a $1.99 song? And by the way, that's a copyright violation vs grand theft auto. Not the same thing. Doesn't make it right, but you are taking this a bit far.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 12:28.

27. Re: This is retarded... Aug 1, 2008, 11:02 MMORPGHoD

..people can get into this silly argument all day about whether or not piracy is affecting sales, but the fact is that rampant piracy is killing PC gaming. The devs are leaving the platform because of it, end of story. All the rationalizations about "they wouldn't by it anyways", or "They'll buy it if it's good" is so much bullshit and the devs know it. It IS affecting the industry and the industry is moving on.

And we'll just see that xbox seed count increase. Pirates can move on too you know... demand/supply/cost/benefit and all that.

It may be affecting the PC industry, but it isn't affecting me. I still have a large pile of bought PC games I still need to play. No time to even look at DMC4, even if it was free.

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo