Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phil Turney

Real Name Phil Turney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MMORPGHoD
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2004, 02:30
Total Comments 2536 (Senior)
User ID 21344

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: And so it starts..... Feb 2, 2009, 18:55 MMORPGHoD

The economic stimulus bill is a farce. Only a fraction of it is even targeted at stimulating the economy. The rest is questionable at best. Spending double the current U.S. deficit of 485 billion should be done in a responsible way (actually, it shouldn't be done at all responsibly speaking), especially when all I hear is how irresponsible the last administration has been.

Rhetoric is cheap. How about some numbers. Just look up details on what this money is actually being spent on. Here's a breakdown of $160 billion of construction related spending.

http://enr.construction.com/business_management/finance/2009/0116-StimulusBillBreakdown.asp

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 18:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DirectX 11 Preview
100. Re: DirectX 11 Preview Feb 2, 2009, 11:59 MMORPGHoD

It appears as though Microsoft has learned that lesson with Windows 7 and it looks like they've streamlined it even further which is great. I haven't tried it on a low end machine yet myself but many are reporting this is runs well on Netbooks that Vista chokes on. It is just a shame it took so long to get to this point and that 6+ years in development and pages of cut features couldn't have resulted in a more polished product at launch.

While I'm still doubtful that Windows 7 is going to boost sales compared to Vista, MS does seem to have learned something from Vista. Windows 7 looks to be what Vista should have been on launch. We will soon see if the "Why bother?" question has a better answer this time. I'm thinking that the newly developed Netbooks (many still released with XP or linux!) might stand to gain from a Windows OS that scales much better. Maybe $300 netbooks will end up boosting sales for Windows 7 and MS in this economy (assuming they don't try to rip us off with ridiculous OS pricing again). PC gaming wise, I have low expectations.

In any case, MS has decided to go forward with a RC. No more betas...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2235540/windows-release-candidate-way

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 12:17.

91. Re: DirectX 11 Preview Feb 2, 2009, 08:46 MMORPGHoD

Windows 3.1/DOS to 95 was a sizable jump in terms of look and stability (once 95 was service packed). This was the same for 98 to XP.

I'm assuming those examples are being used for reasons people were slow to upgrade and we are NOT trying to equate the significance of those upgrades with the changes from XP to Vista.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 08:54.

65. Deja Vu all over again Feb 1, 2009, 23:59 MMORPGHoD

First of all, I do believe Vista is a decent operating system. I'm sure Windows 7 is a decent operating system. However, who thinks Windows 7 will succeed where Vista failed? I just see the same problems. MS, you're heading for another loss, because:

1. As I have said before, people with existing PCs aren't likely to go through the trouble of upgrading. People who aren't gaming are going to stay with what they have to browse the internet, use word, or do the simple things that just plain work under XP and their old system. 98 is a different world when compared to XP. Vista is just a different zip code when compared to XP. This desire to stay with what they have is stronger than marketing, especially when your marketing team can't give a clear reason to upgrade.

2. The economy makes #1 even more important. Ut oh, don't expect sales of new PCs to be any better during the release of Windows 7 as compared to Vista. It will be and has been reported to be.. less.

3. Businesses don't upgrade unless they need to. It's a pain in the ass to upgrade your operating systems company wide. See Dell for small/large businesses and how long XP stayed as an option. And those who did upgrade to Vista aren't likely to jump through hoops again so soon. Especially due to point #2.

4. Gamers. They might not be as important as points 1,2 & 3. However, they're the ones you could have counted on to go through the trouble of upgrading their existing PCs. Regular people have more than they need with XP and their old computer (having made the more significant 98->XP jump). Gamers have the desire to get the latest and greatest, they have the money and they have the knowledge to deal with the pains of drivers and incompatibilities. Unfortunately for you, they're also smart enough to see when it's not worth it. DX10 wasn't worth it. Anyone who has followed the list of pathetic DX10 games knows this. Visually there just isn't enough for gamers or developers to care enough. Are there enough games to make a difference in OS sales? Probably not, but MS has hurt more than helped in making this group interested in Vista/W7. Their focus on (or attempts to facilitate development for) console games that happen to also run on PCs hasn't helped. It slowed down gains in graphics (less ground gained ever since the xbox game along). It has slowed down the strides made in PC games, which also slowed down the memory usage and other hardware upgrade needs of said games.

Bottom line, as someone who just sees the OS as a game launcher for my home PC, the only feature I'm really interested in is using more than 3GB of RAM. Since PC game development isn't pushing the envelope like it used to, it's not nearly as important as it could have been (if consoles did not exist). Now, we wait for the next round of new consoles to push the envelope and get gamers to upgrade to the next relevant version of Windows.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 00:11.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2009, 19:19 MMORPGHoD

he complained about it not being in 3rd person.

Yup, not alot of effort there for a game reviewer. I was changing perspective within 15 mins of playing. I don't read the contents of reviews anymore. I just gloss over gamerankings.com to get a summmary, see the BN feedback, and then read official forums to get an idea of the open issues.

News Comments > On Piracy and Prices
21. Re: On Piracy and Prices Jan 20, 2009, 12:37 MMORPGHoD

Bah, the closer companies get to becoming a monopoly in what they provide, the higher prices will get. That's why I'd prefer to see steam as an available option rather than having it as the standard of game distribution. More competition (gogamer.com) is good and always will be. Less competition (like having steam be the only source for software in your country and pricing it to screw you over with exchange rates) is bad.  

News Comments > America's Army 3 Announced
7. Re: America's Army 3 Announced Jan 20, 2009, 12:28 MMORPGHoD

Nah, the new feature means that both sides sit at a table and talk. Best talker wins. Weapons are now a thing of the past.  

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II
10. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 13:30 MMORPGHoD

Well, there's a reason Relic Online isn't being used for DoW2 and a reason Relic Online's wiki entry isn't too flattering. What worked for you obviously didn't work for a significant number of people.

Gfwl worked quickly for me playing coop games recently with CoD:WaW, so if that's what it takes to get reliable online connections for DoW2, so be it. Quite frankly I find it less of a bother than steam.

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II
1. Sweet Jan 19, 2009, 10:08 MMORPGHoD

Hadn't expected this to go gold yet.  

News Comments > Battlefront 3 Back to Pandemic?
2. Re: Battlefront 3 Back to Pandemic? Jan 16, 2009, 19:11 MMORPGHoD

Hmm.. the graphics were looking good. Glad to see development is continuing, but too bad it's being DNF'd (as in complete restart ala Duke Nukem Forever).  

News Comments > On PC Patches
25. Re: On PC Patches Jan 16, 2009, 15:39 MMORPGHoD

There's certainly many times more GB worth of drive space and bandwidth available for PC users to grab files from than Live and PSN combined, assuming files get mirrored (which of course they do). Factor in torrents and you have an essentially unlimited capacity to tap into. There's just no comparison.

I can only guess he meant to say that Live / PSN provide a much easier mechanism to update a particular file in a given game than PC game patches or hotfixes do. Being able to drop a file into Live and have it propagate throughout your user base automatically instead of having to create a separate manual install is nice. Knowing that that base all have the same hardware is nice too.

Still, we PC users (you know, the ones being blamed for torrenting games so easily because we're smarter than typical console players) I think could handle being given just a .DLL or handful of files to update our own builds, especially those of us getting crashes on launch for known problems that have us waiting for weeks for something they can fix by giving us one file. Even something like the old RTPatch program would do! But of course that's too messy compared to the nice neat console distribution system. Still, there is the question: Why isn't Windows Live able to perform the same function as XBox Live? And why don't they use Steam, which these days seems to be the last thing that gets an update? This problem is more political or economic than technical.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2009, 15:47.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Q&A
3. Re: 5 Second DOW2 Interview Jan 14, 2009, 23:54 MMORPGHoD

Q: Will it suck?
A: NO

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 23:54.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Sad day Jan 14, 2009, 18:52 MMORPGHoD

KHHAAAN !

http://www.khaaan.com/

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2009, 12:44 MMORPGHoD

That's not to say we won't see a PS4 in that time, but I'm sure it'll be damn close to that 10 year mark.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see signs of the PS4 by 2010, to be released in 2012. I know that Sony said 10 years, but 10 years would be November 2016. Even the PS2 hasn't been out for 10 years yet.

But, that's fine with me. Every additional year from now just makes the PC look that much better.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Lord of the Rings: Conquest
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Lord of the Rings: Conquest Jan 13, 2009, 11:45 MMORPGHoD

65% on gamerankings for the PS3 and still nothing listed for the PC.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
4. Re: Fallout 3 Patch Jan 13, 2009, 11:42 MMORPGHoD

I started playing this as well. Initially I ran into a crash on launch of the game because I had a modem installed, which my guess is the game incorrectly tries to use it as a sound card. Disabling the unimodem entry in the sound card section of the hardware device list was a workaround. It doesn't look like that's one of the listed fixes, probably because it's unique to the PC.

There are some CTD bugs (saving near a doorway seemed to be a problem) and what seems to be a memory leak where performance slows down after a good while. Hopefully the patch will address those at least and I'd be able to recommend this game in good conscience.

As to the gameplay, I actually prefer this over FC2 and even L4D single player. It has a better feel than Oblivion did and I like the atmosphere.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 MMORPGHoD

Im not talking about healthy productive business practices that together with competition breed progress. Im talking about underhanded moves like selling your lead console platform at a loss for several YEARS! straight so you can put your competitors out of business.

You do realize the PS3 has been selling a loss for years, right?

Nov 2006 - Selling at a $240 to $300 loss.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/6295-isuppli-sony-selling-ps3-at-300us-loss/

Dec 2008 - $399 system selling at a $50 loss, yay almost break even

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/12/playstation_3_still_selling_at_a_loss_but_a_much_smaller_loss-2.html

And it's still too expensive, especially for this economic climate which will be of little help in getting another 8 million units to catch up with the 360.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 11:24.

News Comments > Game Warning Labels
20. Re: Game Warning Labels Jan 12, 2009, 23:01 MMORPGHoD

Back off man. I play video games.  

News Comments > Relic: DoW Support Lacking
4. Re: Relic: DoW Support Lacking Jan 9, 2009, 11:34 MMORPGHoD

I've been a fan of coop games lately and am always looking for decent ones. I had disliked GFW multiplayer in the past, but decided to try it again with CoD: World at War to see if it's any better now. Surprisingly, it was pretty quick and easy to get going. I actually had a harder time getting a L4D coop game working right.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
2. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Jan 8, 2009, 16:26 MMORPGHoD

Meh, can't see myself dropping $500 for one of those. NVIDIA has been getting too stingy with their pricing lately. I just picked up a decent ASUS brand 4850 for $120 after rebate. Good enough for me with the games I'm playing.  

2536 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo