Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JF

Real Name JF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LgFriess
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2004, 17:50
Total Comments 152 (Novice)
User ID 21294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 22, 2013, 13:08 LgFriess

Yep, can't wait for WL2! Many, many hours of my life will disappear. Wife will be pissed.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
38. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 17:34 LgFriess

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 10:46:
What is maybe worse than all the bugs and issues is the terrible design decisions found within....

Yeah, the highways are nice, but play for more than a few hours you realize the system is fundamentally flawed, because production industries are FAR away from supply industries trade is not an option whatsoever, with only 3 trade-orders per ship you end up with - 1 - trade every hour at most. And that means you are wasting time. And the only viable trade would be the one with the smaller trade ships that can use highways and super-highways (and thus don't need babysitting) but so far I never found a single ship trader that sold them...

Not just with the long ways that you need to fly to even find trade-offers and trigger "rebates" that absurdly are only valid for a few minutes (way too short for you to ever profit from them for more than 1 deal), but jump-drives require certain fuels that you need to order you ships specifically to take on, which means an hour wasted of twiddling thumbs.

And why even bother? Scavenging with long range scanner is far more lucrative, and can net you 4 to 5m if you do it with some serious effort.

This leads to the next problem, the economy is completely opaque and fake. You don't buy weapons that are produced anywhere, you buy them from people who have random inventory. You don't buy ships that require products, you can buy them whether a factory is in supply or not. You need ressources to build your own stations though, and this is the only part of the economy that is not fake, if station building were even working right.

Or basically, AGAIN the promise of economic depth was a lie. And they managed to make a game that's less complex and less developed than X3. In X3 at least, factories actually did need wares and ressources to produce other wares and this looped straight back to you. If you wanted to equip a massive carrier you needed huge production of weapons, which means the factories in question need supply of goods.

And now? Now you can't even trade with your own ship. Which means you are bound to the broken squad system to trade, you need to babysit each ship single handedly and it takes forever for the large freighters to dock anywhere, sometimes they actually never dock.

Meh. They should have thrown the ideas of zones and sectors over and abstracted travel even more, with jumpdrives or maybe just point to point jump locatios from HUBS.

And the greatest joke of all, the most interesting races (Boron, Paranid) are missing in action. And the remanining races lost much of their uniqueness.

I played now for 20 hours and the game is a joke. There is absolutely no motivation to build anything because it never integrates into a real AI economy. Everything is even more fake and smoke and mirrors than before.

All I can say at this point is that I hoped X: Rebirth would fix some of the flaws of X3, but in fact it fixed none of them. The GUI is worse, the design is worse, and there are some design decisions that make you cry, Like.. where, the fuck, is the SMART TRADER (script for AI Trade with your own ships, with limits you set)? You have to babysit every single freighter now..... wow.

You know what, Freelancer is the better game. And that is what X: Rebirth compares to. It's not even close to being a proper economic trade game. Because trade is completely botched.

I was looking up some of the info on the new Elite. It looks like they want to correct a lot of what is wrong with XR, economy/trade wise anyway. Patiently waiting for Elite and Star Citizen I guess. Or the overhaul mod to XR. I had such high hopes XR would take away my winter blues.

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
46. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 16:42 LgFriess

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 16:06:
Numinar wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 15:46:
HOWEVER, if you always buy top of the line stuff regardless of cost (if you're able of course, and if you're not GET A REAL JOB, HIPPIE! ;), then you don't have to worry about not being able to run anything, even back then. You've got a system with a lot more longevity and the initial cost of entry pays for itself over and over when you have a 5 year old system that still plays all of the brand new games maxed out at 2304x1440 or whatever, while all your friends are still throwing away money on hardware upgrades throughout the years just to catch up with you and what you bought in at from the beginning.

Still running my q9550, 4GB RAM, and a 7870 (from originally a gtx 280) at 1920x1200. Been going for years now. SC is the game I'll finally have to upgrade for. Older now, have the money, can't wait ... God don't suck. C'mon Chris, I'm relying on you to blow our PC gaming minds again.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 18, 2013, 15:00 LgFriess

Just started playing Baldur's Gate and will pick up BG2 when I'm finished. I can't believe I haven't played these yet. I LOVE the genre. Looking forward to Project Eternity!  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
9. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 24, 2013, 14:02 LgFriess

Wow, big win for AMD. Well, it will be when they are equipped with better coolers. Lets see what the 780ti has in store for us! Either way, this seems to put the Titan in a very odd position. Price/performance is way out of whack for it now. And I assume the 780ti will beat it anyway.

Well, no matter what, competition is great for us enthusiasts.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 12:23 LgFriess

Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 11:13:
LgFriess wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 10:57:
Running with a q9550, 7870, and a measly 4gb ram. It's gotten me by just fine for a long, long time. But the end is near, and SC is going to be the game to put a fork in it.

Like you, I am considering a CryEngine4 optimized PC. While the hardware selections will probably select themselves based on budgeting and availability, the OS selection will be trickier.

I loathe the direction Windows has taken but 8.1 or even something newer might be required for best play results.

Most likely solution? Play the actual game with your existing hardware and see what sub-system needs improvement: RAM capacity/speed, FPS Min/Avg, SSD utilization, etc. then build specifically to improve those areas

After reading,

Harware issues

it's starting to look like our upgrades will last longer and longer beyond just the old standby of consoles holding back game development. Hardware development is starting to hit some large obstacles.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 10:57 LgFriess

I'm hoping beyond hope this thing turns out to be everything I want it to be. I keep thinking I'll hold off on my PC upgrade until enough of the game is released to play... but how long will that be? The dogfight module? Decisions, decisions. Running with a q9550, 7870, and a measly 4gb ram. It's gotten me by just fine for a long, long time. But the end is near, and SC is going to be the game to put a fork in it.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed 4 Require 64-Bit OSes?
10. Re: Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed 4 Require 64-Bit OSes? Oct 3, 2013, 13:42 LgFriess

Tim Collins wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 12:04:
5% performance increase here we come!

Ya, serious question here, what does 64 bit really allow that 32 bit does not. When I built my system years ago, I just went 64 bit because all the guides and forums I was getting my info from said it was the way to go. Never really looked into why though. So could somebody enlighten a non-tech brain here.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 14:01 LgFriess

I don't mind a game being subscription based, but it better be an amazing game if it wants my money month after month. And no way will I give $60 up front, knowing there will be a continued cost, until I know that the game is great.

So it's down to them. If it's truly a great game, people will pay whatever it takes. If it's yet another WoW clone ("Oh wait, we do this and that so much better then WoW...really!"), they'll fade away.

I honestly believe some of these companies don't really even care about making great games anymore. Just put out enough product to produce a mild profit and they're happy. ESO probably knows if it gets X number of subs, they'll make enough to keep running, so that's good enough. Those of us looking for a great Elder Scrolls game will be disappointed and they don't care. We're not their audience.

News Comments > Thief in February
16. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 13:13 LgFriess

Hoping for the best from this one but really not expecting much. Too many easy mode considerations IMO.

Then again, sometimes a game still shines. I expected to be so disappointed in the new X-Com because of so much of the complexity of the original being cut. It's a great game though and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Maybe this Thief will be similar despite some of the odd design choices.

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
48. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 21:45 LgFriess

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 21:21:
Blackhawk wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:25:
What screenshots are you looking at?

The right ones.

I count nine light sources without even trying, and some can be assumed on the walls pointing away from us.

That's why I said "visible light sources". Though it's hard to identify in the pixel puke what stuff is even supposed to be at all. Oh, and where the feck are the shadows? None of the characters casts a single shadow.

There are no black borders, only black in the negative space.

Semantics and nitpicking. There's a big fat black ugly fucking border right there which shouldn't be there if the developer gave half a shit about improving their engine from a decade ago.

Flat floor tiles? Look at the lighting - the worn floor tiles and bricks are very clearly uneven.

There is a miniscule fake effect of variations in ground height. Look at a game like Company of Heroes 2 which has a similar perspective but offers infinitely more detail per scene and even deformable terrain (another one of those features you'd think that maybe after a decade they would adopt for a RPG like PE so e.g. a meteor shower spell would leave visible terrain deformation etc. or you would creatively add terrain deformation as a gameplay feature like pools of water that could be turned into impenetrable walls or shields of ice... blahblahblah... basically creative shit, you know, so stuff that is not like what Obsidian are doing here with their rehash...).

I have no idea what you're looking at. I see visible light sources all over, shadows from the characters (not all of them but a screenshot can hide that), textured flooring. Agree with you on the lack of fog of war but I'm hoping they did that on purpose. I'm looking at these on my home PC monitor. Are you looking at them on your phone or something?

38. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 15:28 LgFriess

Yep, and call me crazy but I'd rather have the time and money spent on ... well, basically everything else, then 3D for this particular type of game.  

9. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 10:16 LgFriess

This can't get here soon enough. Looks great!  

News Comments > XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month?
1. Re: XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month? Aug 1, 2013, 10:00 LgFriess

Just picked up Enemy Unknown on the summer Steam sale and really have been enjoying it. I do miss the more open world, character, general randomness of the original though. Xenonauts has been scratching that itch but it's still so buggy I've decided to hold off until it's much further along in development.

Anyway, maybe they'll add some more of the original flavor to sequels/expansions. Still a can't miss game IMO.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 30, 2013, 00:33 LgFriess

PropheT wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 22:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 19:33:
"The fact that Diablo II was still on shelves and still being played, in Korea particularly, 10 years after the fact of its release was something that I think Blizzard was kind of like… “Hey, we got the price of the box and not much else out of that.”

I think I'd be pointing out that there's a lot more to get out of a game that's that popular than just wondering how they could get more money from it, like the large number of people who would just buy Diablo 3 immediately just because it was Diablo 3. If anything, by not realizing that and by implementing the auction house and some of the things mentioned in that interview, they've shot themselves in the foot and taken away a good chunk of that good will if and when the next game does get released.

Maybe that's the problem now, though. If they're more interested in making a game that will make them constant money than they are in making a game so good that people are still playing it ten years from now, they aren't going to achieve either.

Exactly. He's looking at it all wrong because he's on the wrong side of the fence... a developer who see's the business end and not one of us customers. The problem with his view is how short sighted it is. They've crushed all the loyalty that was built with DI/DII that led to the sales of DIII. Blizzard products use to be instant buys. They lost that with this crap business model.

So hmm, I wonder what that will have Blizzard execs talking about 10 years from now... if Blizzard still exists. Probably something like, "Geez, we should have just cranked out a great game in a reasonable amount of time, slapped a fitting price tag on it and sold it without all the hidden financial agenda oozing from it's pores."

News Comments > MotorGun Kickstarter
11. Re: MotorGun Kickstarter Jul 17, 2013, 08:01 LgFriess

I'm with the masses... give me SP first.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
2. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 10:06 LgFriess

I love the sound of this. It seems like a game-world (universe?!) I can disappear in for many, many hours. I just keep getting the feeling that it seems too much to pull off. Looking forward to giving carving out my own little corner of the universe though.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
2. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Jul 3, 2013, 12:53 LgFriess

I remember when I use to say that about Blizzard. How times have changed.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 LgFriess

I still remember being excited about finding new gear like, level 5 leather gloves, being nervous adventuring into a new zone, teaming up with strangers that eventually became friends, etc. That sense of wonder for a MMO game world has been gone a long, long time. It's too bad. As much as I dislike WoW now, I consider the early years (being my first MMO) some of my best times gaming.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs E3 Trailer
9. Re: Watch Dogs E3 Trailer Jun 10, 2013, 13:02 LgFriess

I know it's not a game play trailer, and it will in no way influence my decision to buy (I've become SO cynical with big AAA releases, expecting to be disappointed in some way and this one is no different), but damn, that's some great CGI there. Watching in low res I thought is was live action as well.  

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo