Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JF

Real Name JF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LgFriess
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2004, 17:50
Total Comments 184 (Novice)
User ID 21294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 14:40 LgFriess

Edit - sorry, this is in reply to J

Ya, it is. I find the combat in general really enjoyable.

But 2 things;

1. Sitting at a nav beacon waiting for a "wanted" ship to pop is kind of boring once you realize these wanted guys are just spawned NPCs. It's not like your contributing to fighting a pirate menace across the system, or presenting a blockade to a trade route or ANYTHING. Just killed a spawned NPC and in a few minutes there will be another. And another. It's like you're sitting at a game within a game. The nav beacon is just a fine tune your combat game, but don't actually expect it to have an influence on anything.

2. As a noob, I think "Okay, getting a little tired of running a trade route (why don't any of the demand/supply numbers change btw?!!), so I'll try to help out this little system I've been hanging out in by doing some pirate/wanted hunting. Once again, you could kill a hundred ships at the nav beacon, USS', RES... and a hundred more will respawn with no effect on the system as a whole. You're not helping/hurting anything. You're just looking at the pretty lights.

Here's one I'm not sure I'm right on but I considering the rest of the game I have a sneaking suspicion... bounty hunting in a anarchy system, find a python with a bounty, start to kill him, he warps to a neighboring system to save himself, I scan his trail and follow him to the system but he's not there. There are no other warp trails (FSD for those of us in game), he's not in the system. Just nothing. So now I'm assuming once an NPC warps out, he just de-spawns. Not able to track him down and get the kill. Is this how it works or am I just missing something on this one? If it is, it's just such a frustrating mechanic. I know you can track fellow players but NPCs just disappear?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 10:28 LgFriess

Boy Elite sure had my attention for about 2 weeks then quickly faded. Love the visuals, sound, combat, the idea of being a master trader and explorer.

But the damn thing is just so shallow. There's no real character to it. The universe doesn't respond to anything. Oh sure, you might see an arrow point up or down or a percent raise or lower but it doesn't actually do anything. There's about 10 different missions with some words swapped around but run the same way. Things you expect to happen in a logical fashion just don't.

An example. I see a mission that says go find this black box in X system for Y amount of credits. As a noob I'm thinking, "Man that's gonna be a bitch! How am I supposed to find a black box in all that space? Hmm, maybe a special scanner. Maybe the mission wording will give me a clue. Maybe I'll have to question somebody." Nope, what you do is fly to the system, sit, wait for an instance to pop (called a unidentified signal source), fly to it, collect black box, fly back to base. This is how all these "missions" run every time.

Here's another. You're given a combat mission to go kill 5 pirates. You fly to the system, sit and wait for instance to pop, fly into instance, EVERY TIME a ship will be there and give you an alternate mission to kill somebody else if you want to, wait again for another instance to pop, fly in and kill some pirates. Repeat till 5 pirates are dead. There is no variation to this course of events. Your first time through you're having a blast. After a week you won't even take a kill mission... so damn repetitive and boring.

I knew more depth has always been planned on being added but I really expected there to be more to it on release. I'll come back in a year and see if it's become more then a pretty painting.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 5, 2015, 10:08 LgFriess

Would gladly give them more money. Love their work.  

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
32. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:45 LgFriess

Hope they pull off their vision. Elite Dangerous has me wanting more.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2015, 09:43 LgFriess

Never have tried any of the Spiderweb RPGs. Avernum 2 looks like a good place to start.  

News Comments > Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations
23. Re: Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations Jan 16, 2015, 13:04 LgFriess

Drayth wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:54:
"Transformers isn't a dumb movie series, everyone is just over-smart."

So many possibilities with this logic..

HA! Perfect Drayth, perfect.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity in March
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity in March Jan 14, 2015, 13:22 LgFriess

Can't wait for this! Don't want to watch anymore trailers or anything. I've seen enough and know these guys are going to deliver. Don't want to ruin anything by seeing it early.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
38. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 17:12 LgFriess

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 16:45:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 16:00:
ShadyPete wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:56:
according to this it appears most of the funding is coming from those making less than 10k per year..

https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a
That seems legit

On on the one hand, I was amused by the people who chose "Velociraptor" as their gender. On the other hand, I was shocked and dismayed that 25 people have spent $20,000 or more on Star Citizen!

My greatest fear is that there is a Velociraptor out there with the free cash to drop 20K on this game...

Well now I just can't get the picture of a Velociraptor sitting in his big leather lounge chair in front of a fireplace with his smoking jacket on clicking on the pledge options while his butler brings him his evening scotch.

10. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 11:30 LgFriess

Wildone wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:25:
They gotta fix their flight model, it fucking sucks. I dont care what technology is in the future if you bank left you expect the vehicle to bank left, not do some weird strafe/arc/roll maneuver. Horrible.

How is it compared to the Elite flight model? I like the way Elite is jet fighter'ish but with a flick of a button flight assist is off and you're in space. With thrusters, everything just feels right to me.

5. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 11:10 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 10:21:
I wonder if there will be a single person that will buy this game when it releases. It seems like every single person on the planet and their dog has already backed it.

I've just decided to wait until they do a Elite Dangerous type of release. Which is to say, here is a strong backbone of a game, come along for the ride.

BTW SpectralMeat, my TrackIR5 is getting here next week. Some of your previous posts helped me decide I have to have one. Picking up Elite was my tipping point to finally buy.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 17:45 LgFriess

Hey guys, when you're posting your systems please add what resolution/monitor your using. It makes a massive difference if you're playing at 1080, 1920, 1440, multi monitor, etc... this information is very useful to a guy like me planning to finally upgrade his dinosaur system (q9550@3.4ghz, 7870, 4gb ddr2 playing at 1920, it's been a glorious run with only a gpu upgrade but it's finally time).  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Preorders
7. Re: Pillars of Eternity Preorders Nov 12, 2014, 13:11 LgFriess

Jivaro wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 11:37:
Can. Not. Wait.

(please. don't. suck.)

Words outta my mouth Jivaro.

News Comments > World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned
7. Re: World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned Oct 24, 2014, 16:09 LgFriess

Croiky, little loyt eyen't it?"

HA!! I wanted to put a golf clap emote here but I guess this well do. Laugh2

2. Wasteland 2 Oct 16, 2014, 13:58 LgFriess

Good to see the W2 patches cleaning things up. By the time I'm done with Divinity OS (just talked to Cassandra last night. She wants me to kill Arhu in his cat form! The fiend!), W2 will be ready to go. Can't wait!  

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
8. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 8, 2014, 19:58 LgFriess

Started the game about 4 times but always stop when I reach "the fade." I really want to finish it but that damn part keeps sucking the wind out of my sails.  

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
43. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 19:58 LgFriess

Really too bad. Was looking forward to something new MMORPG wise. I kept thinking Blizzard might pull it off with Titan and reintroduce those early WoW gaming moments that captured my attention for years. Those days are gone but whatever, I'm now loving the CRPG rebirth that will keep me going for quite awhile.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
33. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 20, 2014, 07:35 LgFriess

Man I have to hurry up and finish Divinity Original Sin so I can get on with Wasteland 2, which will hold me to Pillars, which will hold me to Torment. Sprinkle in Elite and a Track IR and a few nice looking RPG indies (UnderRail is looking interesting).... My goodness, what a great stretch of gaming!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2014, 16:53 LgFriess

Krovven wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 16:45:
Is it just me, or does Steam seem to be down? can't connect when loading Steam and the website doesn't load.

Okay, happy it's not just me. Thought my system was screwed up. So anyway, yes, something is up.

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
5. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Plans Aug 7, 2014, 11:04 LgFriess

I still remember when raids were unlimited. And SS vs TM was my first real PvP. We were all pretty much lowbies and newbs back then. The good 'ole days! Haven't played in years now, but certainly had fun with the game.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2014, 08:50 LgFriess

I've had my butt kicked many times by the game. I love it! Beyond the tutorial dungeon, and a few encounters where I only had one enemy, every fight has been at least challenging and rewarding to win. I'm running with 2 mercs too.  

184 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo