Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JF

Real Name JF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LgFriess
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2004, 17:50
Total Comments 182 (Novice)
User ID 21294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:55 LgFriess

Stuck at the goddamn office with a full afternoon. No way to get out of here until after 6! I'm gonna lose it man, just gonna lose it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow
4. Re: Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow Mar 25, 2015, 20:21 LgFriess

Ya, in all fairness I hope SCL is a great game but tomorrow is like Christmas for me. If I wasn't leaving for a spring break trip, I would've closed my office for a four day weekend PoEt marathon.  

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow
2. Re: Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow Mar 25, 2015, 19:31 LgFriess

Sorry, I'll be a little busy playing Pillars of Eternity.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 09:46 LgFriess

Well looks like it's finally time for a full new system build. Skylake, 390x/Nvidia equivalent, Windows 10, 21:9 monitors all hopefully being available this summer/fall.

My old Q9550, 7870, Vista, 4gb machine (1900x1200), has been happily churning through everything for SO long. But then the Star Citizen free week finally brought it to it's knees. A sign of things to come I'm sure. Actually feels good to finally need to upgrade.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 14:12 LgFriess

This may be my most anticipated title ever. God please be epic!  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
13. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 14:01 LgFriess

I'm going to lose so many hours to this!  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
23. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 20:19 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 19:35:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 18:33:
So I take it that this is a "buy it" game? I looked at it a couple of times, but haven't been sure on grabbing it.
If you like city builder games, just buy this one, it won't disappoint.
Check out GMG they have a deal going on

Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
12. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 16:02 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 11:01:
LgFriess wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:47:
Anybody still playing this? Been hearing they've been patching it up into a decent game. I've been pretty let down by E:D and am looking for that living universe fix until we see what SC brings to the table.
It's a free weekend so why don't you give it a try?

Yep, going to give it a shot SM. Just looking for some opinions from those that have gotten into the meat of the game.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
2. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 10:47 LgFriess

Anybody still playing this? Been hearing they've been patching it up into a decent game. I've been pretty let down by E:D and am looking for that living universe fix until we see what SC brings to the table.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 28, 2015, 09:50 LgFriess

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:05:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:58:
I'm glad underworld made it. Would have supported, but Kickstarter's stupid new CC middleman no longer takes my credit card. So... :-shrug-:

It looks kind of neat, I just worry how much they can accomplish with only 600K...will it meet it's potential for that, or will it be bare bones?

They've said there was pre KS investing so they're not starting from scratch. They also say there will be ongoing post KS funding on their own website with PayPal options.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 28, 2015, 09:42 LgFriess

Nobody talking about the character system getting PERKED up there at the end? Love these guys for their continued work on a game I was totally satisfied with after the initial few patches.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 10:11 LgFriess

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:39:
I have no idea why anyone would care what this person thinks. She's about as interesting as paint drying.

Exactly what I was thinking. Who is this person and why do we care what she thinks again?

Underworld Ascendant is going to reach it's funding goal today! Now that's gaming news I actually care about.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 12:13 LgFriess

Amen SM! I'll keep hoping they pull it off (same with Star Citizen).  

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 10:45 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:19:
Kind of like EVE Online. What's the point of doing missions, doing trades and increase the credit in your bank account?
Buying bigger ships better equipment etc.
Gaining reputation with certain factions will allow you to buy their ships or gain entry to systems you otherwise can not go to.

Elite is the Euro Truck Simulator of the space sim games. You look at it and say pff this shit is boring as fuck, but when you play it somehow it entertains and relax you.
At least that is the way I feel about the game, and I don't sit there looking at it like gee I wish there was more asteroid belts or more things to do.

I think,for me at least, what I would like is for the game world to me more reactive. Not to me necessarily, but even to itself. If there is a civil war going on in the system, I'd like to see signs of it outside my cockpit window. If there is a NPC pirate in a system, I'd like him to have some reason he's actually a pirate and not just a random, repeated spawn. He's got a mission of his own, from a pirate base in some far off anarchy system. If a group of players kill 1000 ships at a nav beacon, shouldn't something happen in that system? Like less wanted ships show up, markets be effected. Something, anything?

I've been reading on how the guys that are trying to build Ultima Ascension are attempting to do to their game world. It has it's own heartbeat beyond just you. Well, if they pull it off. I'm hoping Elite finds that style because it's missing for me. A living, breathing galaxy that is full of interesting sights, sounds and events.

Oh, been gaming since the 70's. I despise ADD game play. Elite is lacking elsewhere for me.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 11, 2015, 08:57 LgFriess

YES! They wouldn't dare hit us with some kind of LoL MOBA deal would they?  

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 08:23 LgFriess

Ya have to agree with the "empty" statement. I don't want to continue to complain about the game but if there are people on the fence, understand you'll probably get a good month of game play then start to see some giant questionable design decisions.

And to me, that's the real problem here. I'd like to say, "Give it a year and let it flesh out" but I don't know if the core of the design will allow some of those barriers to be crossed. Persistent NPCs for example instead of respawning, pointless target drones. Supply/demand based off of actual production/destruction. The overlap of solo/multiplayer.

https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/elite-dangerous-or-endangered/

This seems like the most accurate review to me. A little long winded but it hits some of those DEEP issues with the game.

Combat is great, visuals are great, sound is great. It all wears thin very, very quickly when you see whats behind the curtain.

What I'm hoping is they'll be able to flesh it out enough with visuals, sounds, interesting things to see outside of your ship that will make you feel like the galaxy isn't just some dead pretty painting and you can almost ignore some of the questionable design choices.

News Comments > Morning Patches
12. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 6, 2015, 08:23 LgFriess

J wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 20:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 16:02:
Maybe I am alone with that opinion but I enjoy the shit out of Elite.
It's not for everyone I agree, but I love it. I don't remember the last game I was so lost in, hours go by before I notice it.

It can definitely be better and the devs can add more content and they will, but I like the game already so I am excited for what the future holds for it.

The combat is definitely the highlight at the moment, this was me last night doing a trade run in my Asp, approaching the station when I got interdicted by a Python: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPq7pnbIv-Y

By the way killing pirates at a nav point may not make a huge difference in the pirate infestation but it will make a difference in your combat rank as well as your standing towards the faction controls the system. I am currently Allied with the Federation I will have to work on my Empire standings a bit.
If it gets boring waiting for the re spawn at the nav point visit the Asteroid belts or the combat zones for more action
You can also enter into super cruise and immediately turn around and the nav point will be reset.
I have an Asp too, and for the foreseeable it's my ship of choice. It's fortunate that Python was only competent.

Did you know you can target sub-systems in an enemy ship? I didn't used to use it, but it can be useful against the bigger ships. Taking out their power plant destroys the ship even if it has hull remaining, or you can take out their drive (thruster) and it leaves them helplessly spinning in space.

Also, the new Beta, I believe, adjusts the asteroid belt encounters. So that may change.

Yep J I figured out the subsystem targeting later. After I lost the NPCs a few times I started specific targeting. Still would like the option to track them if they escape. Zanthar says he does so I'm probably just not doing it quickly enough of something. Gonna try some more this weekend.

11. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 6, 2015, 08:20 LgFriess

Zanthar wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 22:18:
LgFriess wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:40:
Here's one I'm not sure I'm right on but I considering the rest of the game I have a sneaking suspicion... bounty hunting in a anarchy system, find a python with a bounty, start to kill him, he warps to a neighboring system to save himself, I scan his trail and follow him to the system but he's not there. There are no other warp trails (FSD for those of us in game), he's not in the system. Just nothing. So now I'm assuming once an NPC warps out, he just de-spawns. Not able to track him down and get the kill. Is this how it works or am I just missing something on this one? If it is, it's just such a frustrating mechanic. I know you can track fellow players but NPCs just disappear?

I have no problem finding ships that warp out. After you make the jump look for a low energy wake (no need to scan it), that's where the ship is

Ah, interesting Zanthar, I'll have to try some more. My problem has been when I follow, I've yet to find anything in the system the ship supposedly ran off to. No energy wakes, no ships, just dead space. And I get there within seconds. I'll experiment more though.

5. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 14:40 LgFriess

Edit - sorry, this is in reply to J

Ya, it is. I find the combat in general really enjoyable.

But 2 things;

1. Sitting at a nav beacon waiting for a "wanted" ship to pop is kind of boring once you realize these wanted guys are just spawned NPCs. It's not like your contributing to fighting a pirate menace across the system, or presenting a blockade to a trade route or ANYTHING. Just killed a spawned NPC and in a few minutes there will be another. And another. It's like you're sitting at a game within a game. The nav beacon is just a fine tune your combat game, but don't actually expect it to have an influence on anything.

2. As a noob, I think "Okay, getting a little tired of running a trade route (why don't any of the demand/supply numbers change btw?!!), so I'll try to help out this little system I've been hanging out in by doing some pirate/wanted hunting. Once again, you could kill a hundred ships at the nav beacon, USS', RES... and a hundred more will respawn with no effect on the system as a whole. You're not helping/hurting anything. You're just looking at the pretty lights.

Here's one I'm not sure I'm right on but I considering the rest of the game I have a sneaking suspicion... bounty hunting in a anarchy system, find a python with a bounty, start to kill him, he warps to a neighboring system to save himself, I scan his trail and follow him to the system but he's not there. There are no other warp trails (FSD for those of us in game), he's not in the system. Just nothing. So now I'm assuming once an NPC warps out, he just de-spawns. Not able to track him down and get the kill. Is this how it works or am I just missing something on this one? If it is, it's just such a frustrating mechanic. I know you can track fellow players but NPCs just disappear?

1. Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 10:28 LgFriess

Boy Elite sure had my attention for about 2 weeks then quickly faded. Love the visuals, sound, combat, the idea of being a master trader and explorer.

But the damn thing is just so shallow. There's no real character to it. The universe doesn't respond to anything. Oh sure, you might see an arrow point up or down or a percent raise or lower but it doesn't actually do anything. There's about 10 different missions with some words swapped around but run the same way. Things you expect to happen in a logical fashion just don't.

An example. I see a mission that says go find this black box in X system for Y amount of credits. As a noob I'm thinking, "Man that's gonna be a bitch! How am I supposed to find a black box in all that space? Hmm, maybe a special scanner. Maybe the mission wording will give me a clue. Maybe I'll have to question somebody." Nope, what you do is fly to the system, sit, wait for an instance to pop (called a unidentified signal source), fly to it, collect black box, fly back to base. This is how all these "missions" run every time.

Here's another. You're given a combat mission to go kill 5 pirates. You fly to the system, sit and wait for instance to pop, fly into instance, EVERY TIME a ship will be there and give you an alternate mission to kill somebody else if you want to, wait again for another instance to pop, fly in and kill some pirates. Repeat till 5 pirates are dead. There is no variation to this course of events. Your first time through you're having a blast. After a week you won't even take a kill mission... so damn repetitive and boring.

I knew more depth has always been planned on being added but I really expected there to be more to it on release. I'll come back in a year and see if it's become more then a pretty painting.

182 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo