Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JF

Real Name JF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LgFriess
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2004, 17:50
Total Comments 186 (Novice)
User ID 21294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
19. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 13:26 LgFriess

Got suckered into buying this shallow tech demo POS. Won't happen again. Still praying they make it the game I thought I was buying at release.

My hopes for a living universe to tool around in lie with Star Citizen and god only knows how that's going to turn out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 3, 2015, 13:19 LgFriess

InBlack wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:49:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:18:
Witcher 3 fell off that list. Such an amazing game.

It's also a hugely demanding game. Much more so than even GTAV, which sells like hotcakes anyway. You need quite a beefy rig to run it at settings to do it justice. Im sure it will sell much better at a later date when it goes on sale, and when people's hardware is a bit better in general.

Yep. I haven't purchased it yet due to waiting for skylake to release before I upgrade my old q9650/7870/4gb ram system. Still might go with the 4790 or 5820 but the prices will drop with skylake hitting the market. It's killing me holding off though. Very hard not to read any spoilers!

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
11. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 4, 2015, 16:14 LgFriess

I think those screen shots look just fine. Of course it's not earth shattering but looks a ton better the FO3 to me. There are a whole ton of other concerns I have before the graphics and character animations.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 20:41 LgFriess

Just have to say Pillars is amazing. It's one of these very, very few all consuming titles for me. TV? Food? Do I really need a shower today? Nah, I need to see what's around the next dimly lit corner and figure out a way to get through the next tough fight.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:55 LgFriess

Stuck at the goddamn office with a full afternoon. No way to get out of here until after 6! I'm gonna lose it man, just gonna lose it.  

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow
4. Re: Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow Mar 25, 2015, 20:21 LgFriess

Ya, in all fairness I hope SCL is a great game but tomorrow is like Christmas for me. If I wasn't leaving for a spring break trip, I would've closed my office for a four day weekend PoEt marathon.  

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow
2. Re: Sword Coast Legends Livestream Tomorrow Mar 25, 2015, 19:31 LgFriess

Sorry, I'll be a little busy playing Pillars of Eternity.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 09:46 LgFriess

Well looks like it's finally time for a full new system build. Skylake, 390x/Nvidia equivalent, Windows 10, 21:9 monitors all hopefully being available this summer/fall.

My old Q9550, 7870, Vista, 4gb machine (1900x1200), has been happily churning through everything for SO long. But then the Star Citizen free week finally brought it to it's knees. A sign of things to come I'm sure. Actually feels good to finally need to upgrade.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 14:12 LgFriess

This may be my most anticipated title ever. God please be epic!  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
13. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 14:01 LgFriess

I'm going to lose so many hours to this!  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
23. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 20:19 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 19:35:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 18:33:
So I take it that this is a "buy it" game? I looked at it a couple of times, but haven't been sure on grabbing it.
If you like city builder games, just buy this one, it won't disappoint.
Check out GMG they have a deal going on

Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
12. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 16:02 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 11:01:
LgFriess wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:47:
Anybody still playing this? Been hearing they've been patching it up into a decent game. I've been pretty let down by E:D and am looking for that living universe fix until we see what SC brings to the table.
It's a free weekend so why don't you give it a try?

Yep, going to give it a shot SM. Just looking for some opinions from those that have gotten into the meat of the game.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
2. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 10:47 LgFriess

Anybody still playing this? Been hearing they've been patching it up into a decent game. I've been pretty let down by E:D and am looking for that living universe fix until we see what SC brings to the table.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 28, 2015, 09:50 LgFriess

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:05:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:58:
I'm glad underworld made it. Would have supported, but Kickstarter's stupid new CC middleman no longer takes my credit card. So... :-shrug-:

It looks kind of neat, I just worry how much they can accomplish with only 600K...will it meet it's potential for that, or will it be bare bones?

They've said there was pre KS investing so they're not starting from scratch. They also say there will be ongoing post KS funding on their own website with PayPal options.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 28, 2015, 09:42 LgFriess

Nobody talking about the character system getting PERKED up there at the end? Love these guys for their continued work on a game I was totally satisfied with after the initial few patches.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 10:11 LgFriess

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:39:
I have no idea why anyone would care what this person thinks. She's about as interesting as paint drying.

Exactly what I was thinking. Who is this person and why do we care what she thinks again?

Underworld Ascendant is going to reach it's funding goal today! Now that's gaming news I actually care about.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 12:13 LgFriess

Amen SM! I'll keep hoping they pull it off (same with Star Citizen).  

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 10:45 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:19:
Kind of like EVE Online. What's the point of doing missions, doing trades and increase the credit in your bank account?
Buying bigger ships better equipment etc.
Gaining reputation with certain factions will allow you to buy their ships or gain entry to systems you otherwise can not go to.

Elite is the Euro Truck Simulator of the space sim games. You look at it and say pff this shit is boring as fuck, but when you play it somehow it entertains and relax you.
At least that is the way I feel about the game, and I don't sit there looking at it like gee I wish there was more asteroid belts or more things to do.

I think,for me at least, what I would like is for the game world to me more reactive. Not to me necessarily, but even to itself. If there is a civil war going on in the system, I'd like to see signs of it outside my cockpit window. If there is a NPC pirate in a system, I'd like him to have some reason he's actually a pirate and not just a random, repeated spawn. He's got a mission of his own, from a pirate base in some far off anarchy system. If a group of players kill 1000 ships at a nav beacon, shouldn't something happen in that system? Like less wanted ships show up, markets be effected. Something, anything?

I've been reading on how the guys that are trying to build Ultima Ascension are attempting to do to their game world. It has it's own heartbeat beyond just you. Well, if they pull it off. I'm hoping Elite finds that style because it's missing for me. A living, breathing galaxy that is full of interesting sights, sounds and events.

Oh, been gaming since the 70's. I despise ADD game play. Elite is lacking elsewhere for me.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 11, 2015, 08:57 LgFriess

YES! They wouldn't dare hit us with some kind of LoL MOBA deal would they?  

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 08:23 LgFriess

Ya have to agree with the "empty" statement. I don't want to continue to complain about the game but if there are people on the fence, understand you'll probably get a good month of game play then start to see some giant questionable design decisions.

And to me, that's the real problem here. I'd like to say, "Give it a year and let it flesh out" but I don't know if the core of the design will allow some of those barriers to be crossed. Persistent NPCs for example instead of respawning, pointless target drones. Supply/demand based off of actual production/destruction. The overlap of solo/multiplayer.

https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/elite-dangerous-or-endangered/

This seems like the most accurate review to me. A little long winded but it hits some of those DEEP issues with the game.

Combat is great, visuals are great, sound is great. It all wears thin very, very quickly when you see whats behind the curtain.

What I'm hoping is they'll be able to flesh it out enough with visuals, sounds, interesting things to see outside of your ship that will make you feel like the galaxy isn't just some dead pretty painting and you can almost ignore some of the questionable design choices.

186 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo