Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for alan white

Real Name alan white   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname aldo_14
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 23:29
Total Comments 868 (Graduate)
User ID 21254

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Matador Announced
5. Re: Matador Announced Feb 2, 2014, 18:07 aldo_14

That video gives me a kind of Syndicate-meets-Cybernator* vibe.

*aka Assault Suits Valken

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 25, 2014, 15:25 aldo_14

Tim Cook isn't lying!.....

... it's a front door, not a backdoor.

News Comments > Bedlam Game Announced
6. Re: Bedlam Game Announced Dec 18, 2013, 11:26 aldo_14

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:01:
Bedlam is a college football game against your main (in-state) rival. Not an FPS.

If you want to be precise...

Bedlam is a mental health hospital in London, which historically epitomised the worst aspects of treating mental illness in the Victorian era.

Everything else stems from that. The books title is probably closer to the 'true' meaning than a local derby in American Football.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 11:23 aldo_14

Surely isolating educational booths, etc, on diversity issues defeats the purpose entirely?

It's not like a homophobe or bigot is going to explicitly wander into that section, after all. If anything, they'd hang at the door and throw insults.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
4. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 11:20 aldo_14

Do these things ever actually work? Was BF4 a bad seller / under predictions for sales, anyway?  

News Comments > Bedlam Game Announced
5. Re: Bedlam Game Announced Dec 11, 2013, 17:52 aldo_14

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 09:25:
18 critically acclaimed novels and won numerous awards for his works

And yet no one has heard of him.

I'm guessing you don't live in the UK?

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Dec 4, 2013, 09:29 aldo_14

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 08:42:
Task wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 21:20:
The girl is guaranteed to be played by actress Ellen Page, lol.

She was pretty pissed off about her likeness being used without her permission.

Speaking of her, what's with all the video game girls looking like Ellen Page?

I think Ellen Page is maybe viewed as being more 'realistic' (i.e. not a supermodel with massive tits and a stick thin waist, who'd probably snap like a twig in most game situations)?

Or maybe they just have lots of suitable picture for modelling with.

News Comments > Trainz Simulator: A New Era Kickstarter
5. Re: Trainz Simulator: A New Era Kickstarter Dec 4, 2013, 09:26 aldo_14

Blahman wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 02:50:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 21:21:
I wish there was a Railroad Tycoon "game" layer on top of the simulation.

Check out OpenTTD, an open-source remake of Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

I think he wants to do the whole build-then-drive type thing, though. Which would actually be pretty neat... I'm not a train sim fan, but I'd probably play one if it were merged with a higher level management game.

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line Announcement
1. Re: Spec Ops: The Line Announcement Dec 14, 2009, 10:41 aldo_14

So, it's apocalypse now / heart of darkness then?  

News Comments > US Battlefields in Modern Warfare 2?
4. Re: US Battlefields in Modern Warfare 2? Oct 5, 2009, 17:08 aldo_14

Civil Warfare?  

News Comments > 3000AD MMOG Tease
47. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 08:51 aldo_14

I'm always - always - right about stuff like this.

Eeeeeee by gum, I'm not sure that's the best sentence to leave on the internet for posterity.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Q&A: Prepare for Stealthy Sex
7. Re: Assassin's Creed II Q&A: Prepare for Stealthy Sex Oct 1, 2009, 07:10 aldo_14

To be fair, at least there is some historical relevance for once - Venice had more prostitutes than anywhere else in Europe during the Renaissance. Also, it'd be neat if you could pay a prossie to seduce a target and then do some assassineering.

Albeit it'll likely just be cheap titellation.

News Comments > Game Warning Labels
24. Re: Game Warning Labels Jan 13, 2009, 04:23 aldo_14

A Democrat... suprise surpise... Its funny everytime theres a antigun anti video game issue... its always a Liberal Democrat.

I'm curious if you've actually ever heard of that political party, or if it's just ironic coincidence. Americans always seem to have a funny conception of the political meaning of 'liberal' and 'conservative' to me, nowadays.

Incidentally, this bill was co-sponsored by a Republican (Frank Wolf). Appealing to the moral mob appeals to both parties.

(oh, and of course we all know it's stupid, labelling based on sketchy evidence at best... it's like labelling bibles with 'Catholicism leads to child abuse' or something)

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 04:24.

News Comments > THQ Game Ad Deal
5. Re: THQ Game Ad Deal Nov 25, 2008, 05:02 aldo_14

Personally, I don't have a problem with ads in games if it's appropriate. Problem is, it never is - appropriate adverts are subtle, tailored to the game fiction (including being gritty and tattered if, ooh, in a war zone or somesuch) and never take centre stage. So, umm, the opposite of what advertisers want - intrusive, dominating, bright as hell and impossible to ignore (Chapter 2: brought to you by BURGER KING). i.e. they can fuck right off if they want to advertise next weeks TV on billboards in an African Warzone.

But it's ok for stuff like realistic billboards in sports/driving games, or maybe even in openworld games (say... times square).

News Comments > US Army Game Plans
18. Re: US Army Game Plans Nov 24, 2008, 03:41 aldo_14

How soon the world forgets the events of September 11, 2001. I find that fact pathetic.

And before you slander me, I'm not a 'right-wing whacko'. I am an independent that finds the "Blame America First" crowd (read: cowards) to be very blase.

I would have thought that blase would be the absolute opposite to the anti-war (which is frankly synonymouse with 'blame America' given the absolute disaster of the last 7 years of unilateralism) view; you don't see people marching for war, after all.

Likewise, I don't think 'blame America' is fair to label as cowardice. Excepting the obvious recent tendency to label any criticism as 'anti-American' (a blatant echo of McCarthyist paranoia), it's pretty obvious that the predominant military and economic power in the world (at least for the moment) has a predominant role in shaping opinions, and thus the resulting consequences, of itself. Any and every country furthers its own agenda ahead of all others, of course - it's just that one as big as the US can affect and, well, kill across the whole world rather than 'just' it's borders.

In any case methinks history shows that the army is a very ineffective tool for policing, and there's very little evidence that their modern usage has done anything but destabilise the entire world - paranoid Iran and N.Korea even more eager for nuclear weapons, Pakistan facing internal struggle, Russia and China capitalising by supply arms to places like Syria, and soforth. And blowing up shit only ever helps the fanatics; it means the nutters who want to strap suicide vests now have an entirely sympathetic population to hide in, rather than being ostracised as the lunatics they are.

EDIT;
At least we aren't trying to instigate coups in South America... as far as I know.

Venezuela in 2002, allegedly; although it didn't stick. Albeit it's just as possible Chavez made the allegations of US involvement up (evidence is inconclusive at best either way) to strengthen his position, what if past history and all.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2008, 03:46.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
6. Re: Fallout 3 Interview Oct 24, 2008, 03:04 aldo_14

Boy oh boy, what arrogance. So he's some kind of god who, if he likes it, it will be a huge success! In my experience, a game needs a LOT of critical feedback and reworking before its good. If you have that kind of attitude as he expressed there, your game will likely not be nearly as good as it could have been.

On the other hand, if you redefine your design every time someone on a forum complains, you're guaranteed to make a horrible mess of a game. It's pretty clear he's referring to the awareness that you could never satisfy everyone in a very vocal fanbase, and it'd be abject stupidity to try and pander to their needs.

Methinks certain people are just picking on this because they've already decided to either a) hate the game or b) hate the developers (or c); a) and b)) and need to find a nice juicy quote to justify it - even if it means twisting it as far out of proportion as possible.
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 03:06.

News Comments > Saintís Row 2 Interview
4. Re: Saintís Row 2 Interview Oct 21, 2008, 08:35 aldo_14

So when is GTA4 coming for the PC again?

Nov 21st in the EU, I think 3 days or so before in the US.

News Comments > On Fallout 3 Mod Tools
5. No subject Sep 24, 2008, 07:08 aldo_14

What I don't understand is, why not release the tools regardless and only do the documentation if you have time? It's not like it'll hurt DLC on the PS3 and 360 after all.

News Comments > id on Rage Sequels and QUAKE's "Identity Crisis"
13. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 aldo_14

So what is the story in Rage? As Willits explained things, in the near future it's learned that a comet will smash into the Earth and destroy all life. An ark system is set up so people can take refuge below ground and emerge when it's safe, and when they come back to the surface, they discover not all life was wiped out. The player is then tasked with figuring out exactly what is going on in this unexpected, generally lawless society.

This setup, of course, being nothing atall like any forthcoming (or existing) FPS-cum-RPG games. And I'm sure if you suggested it to Tim, he'd fall out with you.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Q&A
7. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2008, 10:39 aldo_14

space captain I didn't see your quote in the link Blue posted, could ya post a link for it? Thanks.

It's in the interview, he just cut it very short.

What's the most interesting route through the game you've seen someone take so far?

I don't think there's anything really surprising. I've seen some folks that have got to places no one has got to, like found one of the other vaults and gone wandering around in there, or had every intention of going to do "X" then got side-tracked doing another thing and spent all their time in another area they got sucked into. Again, that's kind of the point of the game. You never really know what's over the next hill, or what's going to grab your attention for two hours. There's nothing "I can't believe they went and did that," though.

868 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo